Aberrant RPG - What's your character like?

Stellar

A Cardinal rule I picked up from years of being a bad GM: Before you do something to a PC, think about how you would feel about it if the situations were reversed. It saves me from repeating many a bonehead move from my earlier, competitive GMing days. Being the GM, I am forbidden to "teach them (the PCs) a lesson", or saving my favorite NPCs, or treating my PCs' ideas as less than relevant where their characters are concerned. As a GM, I am God and I should not be a petty God. I get to do so much in the game already. Why shouldn't I allow the characters to have some fun?

On the flip side, if you bring a character into a game and I warn you about a certain power or disadvantage, heed my warning. If you don't, and later I bone you over it, all I can say is, "You were warned." I am a GM. That automatically makes me 'Not a Nice Guy!'

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as I'm Gm I make a point of sticking to my own rules. I've played too many games were it's felt like it was a game of chess, us V's the GM, and we didn't know how to play. As long as my players are having fun and enjoying themselves then I don't mind too much what they try to do. That said I don't let them away with murder, there is a high death rate in some of my games (heh heh ranger!).

One of my golden rules though is to never have one of your own characters in a game when you are running it. It leads to disaster.

Now, is it one guy who keeps getting their character killed, or does it even out as the game goes on? I have found the character-of-the-week style of player gets under my skin, but then I try to weave the characters' plots into the storyline and make them integral parts of the whole.

Marshal "Heavy Metal" King

Nature: Hedonist originally. Switched to Follower

Allegiance: The Protectorate

Note: For background info on our game world see aberrant.skroz.net

Eruption: Marshal was a rock star who was standing on stage in an electrical storm. He was hit by lightning and clinically dead for a day while his body erupted and fixed itself. While out, he had visions of the powers that would be his in the years to come.

Attributes / mega attributes:

Str: 5 / 2

Dex: 5 / 4

Sta: 5 / 5

Per: 4 / 1

Int: 3 / 1

Wit: 5 / 3

App: 5 / 1

Man: 3 / 0

Cha: 5 / 3

Enhancements: Thunderclap, Physical prodigy, Regenerate, Resiliancy x2, Hardbody, Adaptability, Quantum attunement, Taint Resistanc, Quickness, Artistic Genius, Awe inspiring, Commanding presence

Quantum 6

Willpower 8

Taint 6

Powers: Matter Chameleon 5 (selective chameleon extra), Disintegrate 2, Force Field 1 (impervious, reflexive), Density Increase 2, Psychic shield 3, Sensory shield 3, Flight 1, Tendril (energy that extends and retracts from his palm), Armor 3, Quantum leach 2, Quantum Forgery 2(total power, Reflexive), Elemental Mastery 2 (of a substance called Darklight), Claws 1 (armor piercing), Intuiton 1, Luck 3

Marshal started out as a front man for a College band that toured the Midwest a la. Dave Mathews way back when. A bolt of lightning and a trip to the morgue changed all that.

Marshal stands exactly six feet tall and weighs exactly 200 lbs. His body is no longer flesh. His MR disorder has turned him into living metal, hence the name Heavy Metal. Another aberration causes harmless black flames to dance over his form at all times, increasing or decreasing in intensity according to his emotional state... and what a state its been.

Marshal was courted by the Teragen originally after his eruption, but decided that being a Terrat wasn't for him. At present, he is part of our game's equivalent to T2M: The Protectorate.

Marshal has been a joy to play. The last two years have seen him get into PLENTY of trouble. Whether it be high powered Terrats, Directive engineered monsters, or gangs of Nova hoodlums, Marshal has always managed to make the WORST of a situation and yet survive. His matter chameleon has saved him many times when his mouth has gotten him into hot water.

He's committed murder and been imprisoned only to be pardoned by the president, himself, later on. He's helped save the world and the universe on SEVERAL occasions. Through it all, though, Marshal has managed to start with good intentions and then watch them go spiraling down into ruin. All he ever wanted was for people to like him and get along with him.

Favorite Quote: "Make it all new."

Actually it tends to even out. My players enjoy their characters a lot and (usually) play cautiously. However they are in a grim and vengeful world and are can only rely on themselves.

I don't encourage players to keep changing characters, I find that annoying. New characters tend to disrupt long term plots and have no appreciation for life that the other players will have due to long association with their characters.

That said sometimes a change can be a great thing, and some new characters really improve the quality of a game.

As long as it's fun!

hehehehehe, I let the characters "get away" with anything... it always gets them in the end. Sometimes, they actually do that on purpose, just to see what I come up with, but generally, we run a very "realistic" game, as far as that's possible.

I've tinkered a lot with the original plot, and I've created a zillion parallel universes that the characters skip in and out of. It seems that everytime I see a good movie or read a good book, something slips into the series...

But anyway, the characters are fortunately not the only ones slipping/ "sliding". I have a couple of arch-enemies (one of which they killed, only to find out they killed the pacifistic counterpart from another reality. They went on to find the correct one, and stumbled across a cloning factory (saw Judge Dredd right before that...). Well, in the end they got him, but his employers are after the characters now, and they're even more powerful). Mostly, the series is pretty low profile (except for nova world, but anyway...), and that's the main point of the game. In most realities, novas are undercover agents, sometimes exploited by the goverments of the different nations (saw Patriot Games before that) to make war against each other (assassination plot against Castro) in secret. The characters mostly get into trouble because they don't fit into their alter egos' roles, and mess up. When they're in their own reality, it's usually the more powerful arch-enemies that haunt them from one reality or another...

As I write this, it actually seems pretty messed up, but that's just me, ain't it ?

------------------

ridin' radiowaves !

Here's a question to the Players out there. What as players have you done that has 'forced' your ST off of canon (of course this only means anything if you are in a canon storyline)

I finally pushed our game off canon on the last night. Prodigy went a little off the deep end after losing so many of his close friends in such a short period of time. So he decided that one of the reasons that the world was so screwed up was that baselines had forgotten the costs of conflict because they had Novas to do everything for them. So he wanted to remind them how much they could be hurt. So he developed one time use little teleport chips that he attached to several bombs. Each bomb was a combination biological/chemical/radialogical nasty that would simply destroy only about one or two city blocks but would lay death and destruction about for a mile or two. He then targeted a couple choice targets near and dear to baseline hearts.

A few examples:

The Dome of The Rock

The Vatican

The Ganges was rendered poisonous to human life.

Same with the Amazon.

WallStreet

Mecca

Salt Lake City

and a few other places.

So, what have you all done?

Quote:
Originally posted by James 'Prodigy' Meehan:
Here's a question to the Players out there. What as players have you done that has 'forced' your ST off of canon (of course this only means anything if you are in a canon storyline)

Well, I was the first nova on Mars... on December 22, 2001, and our campaign is shifted three years (the Fireman erupted in 2001 in our game world). Several of us had already been to the Moon by that time.

Canon rarely featured in some of our games! Wasted the Apostle was the big one really, lost two people doing that, but it was worth it, oh and the Persurer was also killed in our game, just not by us, GM didn't like him!

ermmmmm, the first time I tried canon, my characters killed Orzaiz outright, on first sight, without even knowing him.

When I played a member of teen2m lately, canon got changed radically when Nordlynseye or whatever the Norwegian teen novas are called were annihilated by a joined effort of Utopia and Proteus. Unfortunately, I was playing "the mole" in teen2m, a Directive agent. My character wasn't really powerful at all. Most regular att's at 4, a few dots in Social and Mental Mega Att's (AppAlt., Copycat, Perfect Guest, etc.). Oh yeah, he also had Psychic Shield and Sensory Shield on five - couldn't let anything slip...

Anyway, I gave the hint to the Directive forces, and Utopia was sacked by the Directive and the UN. The ST didn't like it, but then he devised radical fledgling Utopian novas (like the players - and my character) trying to continue to work for the Aeon Society, who distanced themselves "from their wayward child".

Anyway, it's really fun by now, and if any of the other characters' players should by chance read this, don't use it against me. But I don't think any one of them frequents this forum - unless I'm VERY much mistaken...

------------------

ridin' radiowaves !

Ah, I forgot something else, which is odd because I'm the one that came up with it.

Since our game is using the canon timeline shifted back three years (Fireman erupted in 2001 instead of 1998, Mir exploded instead of Galatea), we couldn't use the Y2K bug as the event that sent Project Utopia's Q-rating through the roof. After giving the problem some thought, I decided to patch that particular paradox with another disaster, a 800m meteoroid foreseen by the Project Utopia prognosticators and deflected by a team of three novas: Caestus Pax, Griffin Armstrong, and Jameel al Khafiz (my character; we're playing ourselves as novas), a "Transformer" (Shapeshift dependent on Bodymorph: Steel) with Mega-Stam 4 and the Irresistable Force Enhancement.

Hopefully, this keeps the players from relying too heavily on the listed timeline wink.gif

My biggest problem with this is that there are, theoretically, these hyper-intelligent, Precongnitive novas out there.

Okay, James, don't you think wiping out about 20% of the world's population would set off a few alarms? Come on now. 2 billion people are either dead or displaced and will soon die because of disease, starvation, and the like.

Every major religion on earth (save the buddahist) just went into holy war mode. Utopia and the Teragen will go ape-shit. Utopia, because they are supposed to stop things like this and the Teragen, because you just green-lighted every genocidal freak in their organization. The Casablancas, Primacy, and Pandemonium will be devastated. World civilization is over.

I take it you survived the actions. If so, you are capable of doing it again...and again.

Every 'suspect' nova (read: non-Utopian) will be detained or have an arrest warrent sworn out. Every nuclear missle will be placed on the highest alert. It is the END. With Warp capability and no one at the helm, there is no stopping a well equipped terrorist from visiting the fifty largest metropolis' on earth. Kill them all with airborne viruses.

Then, the slaughter among the novas begins. Those who swore to defend mankind realize that those who are not with them are against them and start attacking every terat or suspected terat they can find. It becomes kill or be killed. It becomes impossible to defend any human enclave while any hostile novas remain alive. Those who can, flee off earth. Those that can't, fight and die. Eventually, the Teragen should win unless Mal leaves. In about ten years, the last humans on earth should be dead.

James, in retaliation or just because there are other sick puppies out there, biotoxins of all kinds will rack the earth. I love the one that attacks all biological matter, period. No missing anyone with that. The Amazon vanishes overnight, literally. You can sit and watch the earth brown and die from orbit. There is no stopping it, really.

Why kill the land? Why not? Say, I am a research scientist-nova, I love mankind, and want to have them live happy, healthy lives. Now, you just killed everyone that I cared about. Okay-dokey. You green-freak, you spared the plants. How dare you. Well, I have the answer to that. A few warps and a new plague blossoms over the landscape. By the time you whip up a cure, a new plague blossoms somewhere else. Insane? Why, yes it is, but then so was starting this in the first place. That is one of the problems with war. It makes people crazy.

Alternatively, the warps open and the object gets sent through and then the unseen person on the other side warps it into space. In a kind world, you turn around and elites (three for every nova with you) attack and render you unconcious. Either someone then explains that you get a handle on yourself or else, or Utopia gets a tip, raids all your facilities, finding your dangerous and/or illegal tech and drags your unconcious form off to Baharain. In a more realistic scenario, the elites just kill you.

Its all up to the game master. Tell me, what have been the repercussions in your game? Have there been any? Is the world any closer to armogeddon? If so, how are things backing down, if possible?

Well, I was playing Prodigy through a pretty heady case of insanity so it seemed appropriate. My ST pretty much stated that Utopia has enough pre-cogs on staff that they were able to counter a good portion of the long term effects of my terrorist attacks. Most of the general explosives went off but a lot of the viral attacks were countered.

We don't know what happened after that though, it was the last game. We were planning on shutting down the campaign about three weeks later and that was the evening in which we had the uber-botch. A Q6 Elemental Master of Ice and Primacy member decided he was going to celebrate my little attack by using the Storm Technique on the Island of Manhattan. Well, he decided to go fot the gusto and to max his power to try to get a greater area, and he botched. ST ruled that since the game was so close to shutting down anyway that he declared the botch on the level of the Wycoft area effect in Trinity and turned Manhattan into a glacier. With us all in the middle of it.

Wow, you sound almost upset in your post. What'd I do?

Yes his single handed depopulation of eath of all it's chimps, (including zoos!) seems slightly....unrealistic.

We are now a planet devoid of chimps!

I see why your ST would go for a dramatic ending considering it was the last session. A nice way to end it. Your (temorary?) insanity helping kickstart the aberant war decades too soon. I approve.

I also understand, one of our members went crazy due to soma addicition. Pre-cogs aren't a problem normally. As far as I run games precognition is the rarest of the powers. Maybe 50 novas have it max, and most don't really understand it. I have no problem with players looking into the past. But since I don't believe in destiny, you will just get images of a possible future, and you can't aim the power, like the head of that elite company (name escapes me right now).

In my current group, the ST rule on precog depends on the nature of the ability. For example, if your're using data (ala the Mathematician), then the prediction is only as good as the data available to you. Indivdiuals with quantum powers tend to skew the models accordingly. Most of these high-brow precogs tend to be of the reclusive spider in the center of the web variety. They scurry out of the web only long enough to snatch something important then scurry back out of sight.

The true visonaries are a little more difficult but fall under the retriction that there is no "true" future only potential. By viewing even a highly probable future you've introduced an X factor which may be enough to skew the results.

Wizard is actually the only precog in the games that hasn't had something disasterous blow up in her face. A record for this group, although she tends to be a weirdness magnet for all the really off the wall stuff that goes on.

Part of her success is rooted in her definition of the the power as an expanded form of quantum awareness. Trying to 'cog more than a minute or two opens her to all the lateral potential universes and is an overwhelming experience. She has to make a willpower roll just to avoid becoming further lost in the awareness. Getting back almost always requires spending a will point and the ST has evilly hinted that she may be doing more than just seeing the alternates.

For these reasons, she tends to avoid the easy out of "I'm using precog to find the terats" prevalent in other games.

BTW: Special thanks to Jager, Atwight, Tess and others. My ST incorporates my post here into the game world and they probably saved my bottom during the Oregon incident. Sometimes it sucks to be the solo character.

[This message has been edited by Wizard (edited 05-25-2001).]

here's mine. The setting (threw out the cannon) is a cosmic one. If you've every read Rifts: Phase World dimension and soure books that's where it's set. We also play with a house rule of static Taint.

Sidious / Darkstar:

Str: 5 Cha: 2 Per: 5

Dex: 5 Man: 2 Int: 2

Sta: 5 App: 4 Wit: 4

Abilities:

Might: 1; Athletics: 3; Martial Arts: 4; Stealth: 3; Endurance: 4; Resistance: 4; Command: 3; Interrogation: 2; Subterfuge: 4; Intimidation: 3; Awareness: 4; Investigation: 3; Computer: 3

Backgrounds:

Node: 5; Contacts: 4

Willpower: 9 Quantum: 5 Taint: 4 Quantum Pool: 35

Powers:

Mega-strength: 2(crush); Mega-dexterity: 2(Accuracy); Mega-stamina: 3(Adaptation, Regeneration, Resiliency); Mega-perception: 4(EM Vision, Quantum Attunement); Mega-intelligence: 1(Mental Prodigy – Tactics & Strategic); Armor: 4; Bodymorph – Shadow: 5(Density Decrease: 3, Transmit – Shadows: 2, Face of Terror, Invisibility –(shadows/darkness): 1); Claws: 2; Elemental Mastery – Darkforce: 5(Imprison, Shield, Storm, Sphere, Wall); Flight: 3; Invulnerability – Mental Powers: 5; Mental Bolt: 4; Q-Bolt (Darkforce): 4(Bashing); Shroud (Darkforce): 5; Telekinesis: 3; Telepathy: 5

Aberrations: Aberrant Eyes (they glow red when using full power)

Image: Watch the sci-fi channel tonight for the 80's Flash Gordon. he looks like that Klytus guy (black robes Gold face mask, modified)

History: He and his team were taken by slavers and sold to the kreeghor for experimental animals and conscripts. They were subjected to mind wipe and brainwashing procedures so that they would forget their home and families.

Subjected to experimental procedures to creat moe powerful Invincible Guardsmen, he was errupted with the ability to control shadows and actually become one.

Serving the Trans-Galactic Empire loyaly for 5 years, he became one of the highest ranking and feared members of the Guardsmen. (think a Vader type). Durring a fierce battle with the FreeWorld Alliance he fell victim to a powerful psionic atack. He managed to barely survive but his mind wipe and memory blocks were destroied.

Finding out his true past burned hatred for his former masters into his heart and he set about on a plan to free his fellow captives, now other Guardsmen, from their domination. He must work slowly in order to avoid detection and execution.

[This message has been edited by Sidious (edited 05-26-2001).]

Great character and I like the campaign setting. Sorry, but Rifts is one of the few systems that I have avoided (monetary reasons), but is sounds interesting. Your one tough cookie. How many people in your group?

Running at 6 characters now with about 12 npcs allies/villians.

you should see the ship we ...uh... acquired...(yeah that's it.).

Most in the party are powerhouses in one way or another. To simulate the time diference the ST gave us a larger Nova point pool to draw from.

He figured this is about average power level for the Invincible Gaurd that have been around this long. This is gonna get messy.

Hey, Ranger! Hilarious link you've found! I'm making a fool out of myself in my school sittin' and laughin out loud! Very good. Thank you.

------------------

Love & Kisses

Reaver

AH, sounds about right. Same way of phrasing things and same names for stuff. Also explains the PE classes, we never had equipment to use in Physical Education. I used to have to walk up and down in a freshly ploughed field picking stones and putting them in piles. I kid you not! They wanted to clear out the field so they could plant grass for a new football pitch and decided child labour was the way to go.

Wheeeeeee!!!!! Nothing like those grand school days to make you wish you were anywhere else. Me, I only had to pick tobacco from ages 12-17 (it was once really big in my state, but has since been surpassed by marajiuana as the chief cash crop) during the summers, but I did get paid.

Made me not want to be a farmer.

My God,

For months hes dead, and now suddenly he's everywhere!

Coriolis lives! Please don't get the Ranger started...for my disintergrating sanitys sake.

ok, for the sake of your sanity, what there is of it, Joyce still tells that story about you trying to throw him out of your car after one of my Cthulhu sessions, I'll not try and get Ranger to reminisce so much. Spoilsport.

------------------

Bast protect us all.

Ah yes, Man-O-Steel and the Funk Soul Brother. These were NPCs in a GURPS:Supers game we played a few years ago. Game was run by one of the best GMs I know.

I can't remember the origin of the Funk Soul Brother but he had the equivalent of the Clone power at about level 3-4 and emotional manipulation of about 2-3. He dressed in 70's disco gear and had an afro haircut. He was just strange.

Man-O-Steel was given to our team by the government because they didn't know what to do with him. He had "erupted" while watching TV. The gas main in his house had blown and he developed the equivalent of Bodymorph (steel) 5, Armour 5 and a range of Invulerabilitys at 1-5.

Unfortunetly Man-O-Steel had such a high level of Taint that he was unable to turn off these powers and was also unable to move when Morphed. He was stuck in a sitting position looking dead ahead, unable to move for his whole life.

I think we sat him in a corner of our base in a comfortable chair and put a TV in front of him. Poor guy.

People may hve noticed my love of wierd characters by now... smile.gif

Okay, this is Apep. We've been playing for over a year now, once a week, more than that when we first started. Our storyteller has always been overly generous with xp. So now my problem is that she is getting awfully powerful. And I'm just not sure what to do with her anymore. Tell me what you think anyways.

Nature:Penitent

Archtype:Marvel(previously monster)

Strength 3, Dexterity 5(fast),Stamina 4(energetic),Perception 4(intuitive), Intelligence 2,Wits 4, Appearance 4(exotic), Manipulation 4(devious), Charisma 3

noteworthy abilities: athletics 4(acrobatics),Brawl 4, Firearms 4, Martial Arts 4(art of serpent), Melee 5(knives),stealth 4(hide in shadows) Intrusion 4, Linguistics 4, Egyptology 4, Archeology 4.

willpower 6, quantum 6, taint 4, chrysalis 2

aberation: Snake eyes, hormonal imbalance rage/lust, skin shedding, scales(partial), bleeds shadow.

backgrounds:backing 2, influence 2, cipher 1, Dormancy 4, node 4, Attunement 5, mentor 4, followers 3, allies 1.

megas: megastrenth 3(quantum leap), megadex 3(flexibility), megastamina 3(regeneration x 2), megaperception 3(bloodhound, enhanced hearing, electromagnetic vision, q-attune), megaintel 1(archeological prodigy), megawits 2(quickness x 3), megaappearance 1(seductive looks), megamanipulation 2(hypnotic gaze, creeping paranoia)

now for the powers: Transmit 5(shadows, with combat transmit) bodymod(chromotophores), Claws/Teeth 4(armor peircing claws),Poison 5(teeth only,unless spitting), Animal mastery 3(reptiles only), Hypermovement 1, Psychic shield 2, Invulnerable poison 1, Shroud 3, Armor 1, Homunculus 4, Quantum regen 2(combat regeneration), Shapeshift 1, Quantum leech 1.

Quote:
Originally posted by Apep:
So now my problem is that she is getting awfully powerful. And I'm just not sure what to do with her anymore. Tell me what you think anyways.

I think you're going to get a ton of good/bad/unusual advice from all sorts of people. Doubtless the more prolific posters (Atwight, Jager, Prodigy, Ranger, Sidious to name only a few) will respond with things I could never even begin to contemplate. Still...

1. There are the skills to be mastered that most people won't bother with. The arts (sculpture, dance, ect.) or sciences to name two. Without a long term goal or committment this would only be a stopgap measure.

2. Make a fundamental change to her life that's inline with her character. She seems to be hungry for experience; have you considered developing clone with psychic link? The opportunity to explore the wonders of the far-flung points of the universe at various eras might be interesting.

If this appeals, depending on the ST and the campaign, it might be allowed for you to make a permanent split of yourself with abilities being distributed between a number of 'avatars' (essentially Clone with significant weaknesses). This may or may not work well with the campaign you're in as it would severly weaken her in the short run. Although the opportunity to explore concurrent experiences might present a significant allure. And in the long run she has the possibility of later recombing the avatars to form a truly cosmic entity.

The psychic link, unless interpeted most restrictively, means the memories are almost never lost no matter what happens or how far away.

Again, depending on the gaming group and campaigns this might work extremely well with the groups intentions.

3. Cross-time travel presents unique opportunities although the manner it's presented in canon is leaving more and more of a bad taste in my mouth recently. Ah well, chalk that up to sour grapes.

4. Look consolidating some of your abilities into an elemental mastery of reptile abilities and expanding on the possibilities beyond those you've already made part of the character.

5. Depending on your ST and groups view of it, look at mastering (extra: mastery) the things you're exceptionally proficient at like transmit, poison or homunoculous.

6. Become THE COLONY (just kidding).

Two things:

Work on mastering your shadow powers. Consider Elemental Mastery.

or

Go a more mental route, building on your hypnotic gaze.

Character wise, I can see why a group of characters as tough as you are would be difficult to handle. Either they have to pump out more and more outrageous novas to match your abilities, or they need to break you up. One of my STs was really good at that. Apep is tough enough that she can go it alone in most cases. Maybe she could find a new, struggling nova and mentor them. Share your experience. I don't know how some of the others would feel about running weaker characters, but you could alternate between stories. How would you feel about handling a group of newbies?

I have been thinking about picking up shadow mastery, I'll probably go with that. The clone idea doesn't work because another player does that and I don't want to take away from her character. I have thought about retireing her for a while, but I'm not sure yet.

Combat regeneration isn't as bad as it sounds, you only have so much willpower and Apep is not a pleasent person to be around when all of that's been spent. Maybe it's a bit twinky, but I think I've only even used that power like once.

Thanks for the feedback.

Archived