Aberrant RPG - Powers of the Gods in 5 easy steps

Hey Kiddies do you want to know how to use a basic 30 point nova to neem anyone on the planet or the planet itself its a small pile of nothing. Watch and learn

step 1: Buy 11 or so direct damage 2nd level powers and link them in a web so that each power has 10 or so 5 point weakness links.

Step TWO: Add the following extras to each power.

Aggravated

reduced quantum cost

armor piercing

Homing

Merged

reflexive lv2

Extended range

Affect density decrease (Any sane GM will allow it)

Now remember use those weakness points to keep the powers levels at 1.

Step THREE: Buy all of these powers for 11 nova points. Grab Mega dex 5 and mega perception 1 with omni directional vision.

Step FOUR: Behold the power of your creation.... With the ability to muster 66 normal dice and 55 mega dice to hit any target in line of sight with no range penalty doing an average of 240 levels of armor piercing and 120 levels of aggravated density decreased bitch hittng action. Laugh as your reflextive power allways acts first and allways toasts, behold your ability to power block any attack from any angle instantly and automaticly and in any quantity. Well you say thats all well and good but how will you pay for it. Simple my slightly irksome companion reduced quantum cost on a level 1 power makes sure you could do this from sunrise to sunset. With that nice fat 0 for a QC.

Step Five: Extort the other players for munchies, and demand ludicrous concessions from project utopia or you destroy the whole kit and caboodle. Then destroy them anyway. Knock of all the powerhouses mal, pax, rousseau, sering, erikson, anteaus and more. Go to devries take over and force their more atractive elites to perform humiliating acts of sex drugs and mud wrestling. And to top it all of Drink margeritas made of the blood of babes.... Just because you can..

================================

<< Conan what is the true purpose of life:

"to crush you enemies to see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women.">>

[This message has been edited by Bobmaster (edited 08-08-2001).]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah...actually, this is quite doable, if pure twink evil.

Allow me to demonstrate: the number of links in the so-called linkage web is equal to (n-1) + (n-2) + (n-3) ... + 1 where n is the number of powers linked together. Assuming we take a total of 11 various Q-Bolt powers and similar, this gives a grand total of 55 links. Since each link is a 5-point (both kinds of linkage weakness at 3 and 2 respectively) weakness, and the links go both ways, this lends a total of 550 weakness points.

Impressive so far, no?

Then we allocate the weakness points equally, giving each power 50 weakness points. Then we reduce them all to level 1, which costs 5 weakness points. This leaves 45 weakness points for extras. In order to get an extra each for 5 points, we allow the extra to raise the power a level, then spend 5 to bring it down again; thus we can buy an additional 9 extras. That means that the nova who is doing this gets all of the extras that Bobmaster described in his previous post. This costs us 11 nova points, since we're buying each power at level 1.

Extra's cost 3 weakness points and do not increase the power level, so you actually can do it for 15 extras.

I wonder about a couple of things though.

If you buy aggravated it reduces the damage done to quantum+successes and there aren't a lot of points spent on quantum left in this design.

I would wonder about whether or not you could buy a power down to 0 cost. I would say no personally, then you are in a situatation to activate the powers you have to spend 11 quantum points, so you better have at least 3 dots of MR Node.

Merged only affects powers of other Novas, so each power's damaged is figured seperately. With a maximum of Quantum 2 you are only getting an average of 9 levels of aggravated damage per use, someone with Hardbody, a couple dots of Armro and a decent MegaStamina could walk up to you and bitchslap you to death with little effort.

Also, reflexive only affects incoming attacks, not other incoming quantum powers like, say Disimmunize, Disrupt or Disorient, all of which would really mess up this particular twink fest.

God love your poor ST.

You certainly don't.

None the less, I am impressed. We could go on for some length on ways it would be easy to destroy such a character, but that proves nothing, everyone has a weakness as long as you build your character specifically to combat a particular power or combination of powers.

I'm interested to see anymore such ideas you might have. Keep up the good work.

You are going to hell.

You do know that, don't you?

I don't see it that way.

I don't think you can lower a power below level 1.

Second, any ST who allows those power to be interlinked is a moron.

After all, 10 of those Quantum bolts needs only be linked to _one_ Quantum Bolt to achieve the same effect (Fire all Q-Bolt at the same time). That means 20 weaknesses points between 11 powers (Each one have Level 2 Depedency toward the initial QB), which really isn't that much... not enough to drop any power from 1 level.

Doing a web like that for the only purpose of gaining weakness is like putting 'Weakness: -1 Damage' on Armor, it's useless and it isn't really a weakness.

And the book specifically says the ST should

prevent stupid use of this system, and that has to be one of he biggest abuse possible.

Armor and HARDBODY what an amazingly brilliant plan to stop over 200 levels of AP. Unless your Soak excedes 200 the Ap will nullify it before the system even considers that it might be capable of soaking aggravated. Anyway what are the piddly 6 levels of agg soak going to get you anyway. A second point is that even if the die pools dont merge attacks arriving at the same time count toward overwellming the soak of the target. Witness the BFG.

Adressing another one of of the concerns lv 1 powers with reduced quantum cost cost nothing as stated in the main book.

And Eclisadol is most effective agaist novas who guzzle quantum for a guy who has unlimited payload its not so scary. Plus how are you going to get the eclipsadol in him. Poisoning his food might be a viable alternative though.

[This message has been edited by Shrimpus (edited 08-09-2001).]

AH I know excatly what i would do if that ever happened in my game....

" The hand of god comes down from on high to smite the infidel uber-monkey. no more pizza until you make a decent character."

I've acutually have had to use that phrase on more than one occasion.

More scripture from the book of munchkin.

When onest wantest to createth the perfecteth tooleth for the conquestesh ofeth the univereth one must be ready to look up upon high and accept the divinity of the chrysalis.

Since it is every munchkins most desparate desire to reach the lofty heights of quantum 10 Ol' bob has decided to do just that. And for a freebie I'll also throw in the secrets of the ressurection.

Now before we can start this little fete of absurdity and depravity we must pray.....

Now get ready to unleash the most unholy of all creations.

Munchkins 1:1 First the supplicant must buy the following powers. Node spark temporal acceleration, luck as well as any relavate mega attributes. No starting taint please.

Munchkins 1:2 Now you must cleanse you mind and body of what ever soul you have left....done yet.....no....try prying it out....use a crow bar...good. reduce the range on temporal acceleration for a weakness and place it into the increased duration streangth. Put as many points it node spark as possible. Now choose a teragen archetype.

Munchkin 3:15 Node spark you ass consectutively with as many dice as possible. Watch that chysalis wrack up wth every 1 you roll. Stop at 3 chrysalis if you wish to remain human 9 if you don;t give a rats ass and 10 if your stupid.

Munchkins 597537:.01 Now initiate chrysalis activate your luck power and temporally accelerate yourself the luck insures that you succede the chrysalis roll. and te temporal manipulation makes your chyrsalis a matter of days. pop out a few days later with a newly enchanced quantum. Rinse and repeat. in 1 month game time you should wrack up enough chrysalis and Xps to propell your newly divine ass to the shining doors of heaven. Step though get and buy planke scaling.

Munchkin the word of our Lord 666:666 As you approach godhood. reduce the range on planke scaling and link it to some crappy power scaling to gain 7 weaknesses. Now extend its duration. creating a bubble of god that lasts and lasts and lasts. And since you will remain in the bubble as long as you like feel free to enjoy the perks of godhood. For exra evil buy the extended rage extra and switch the range and area creating a LoS bubble of god

AMEN

======================================================

<< Did you know that in roman times mormons used to burn and crucify heathens>>

[This message has been edited by bobmaster SQUARED (edited 09-26-2001).]

Ok, that one while imaginitve is slightly more vunerable to the ST. If I remember correctly (and I may not, hell, I'm human) the ST has to agree that whatever gave you the temporary taint was in character enough to justify the transfer from Temp Taint to Chrysalis points.

I have an honest question for you here, do you try this stuff in your games? What is the reaction of your ST? Are these just mental excercises for you or do you actually look at gaming this way? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally posted by bobmaster SQUARED:

More scripture from the book of munchkin.

When onest wantest to createth the perfecteth tooleth for the conquestesh ofeth the univereth one must be ready to look up upon high and accept the divinity of the chrysalis.

Since it is every munchkins most desparate desire to reach the lofty heights of quantum 10 Ol' bob has decided to do just that. And for a freebie I'll also throw in the secrets of the ressurection.

Now before we can start this little fete of absurdity and depravity we must pray.....

Now get ready to unleash the most unholy of all creations.

Munchkins 1:1 First the supplicant must buy the following powers. Node spark temporal acceleration, luck as well as any relavate mega attributes. No starting taint please.

Munchkins 1:2 Now you must cleanse you mind and body of what ever soul you have left....done yet.....no....try prying it out....use a crow bar...good. reduce the range on temporal acceleration for a weakness and place it into the increased duration streangth. Put as many points it node spark as possible. Now choose a teragen archetype.

Munchkin 3:15 Node spark you ass consectutively with as many dice as possible. Watch that chysalis wrack up wth every 1 you roll. Stop at 3 chrysalis if you wish to remain human 9 if you don;t give a rats ass and 10 if your stupid.

Munchkins 597537:.01 Now initiate chrysalis activate your luck power and temporally accelerate yourself the luck insures that you succede the chrysalis roll. and te temporal manipulation makes your chyrsalis a matter of days. pop out a few days later with a newly enchanced quantum. Rinse and repeat. in 1 month game time you should wrack up enough chrysalis and Xps to propell your newly divine ass to the shining doors of heaven. Step though get and buy planke scaling.

Munchkin the word of our Lord 666:666 As you approach godhood. reduce the range on planke and link it to some crappy power scaling to gain 7 weaknesses. reduce its level by one and extend its duration. Now put the Increased range extra on it and swap range with area. Creating a line of sight bubble of god. And since you will remain in the bubble as long as you like feel free to enjoy the perks of godhood.

AMEN

======================================================

<< Did you know that in roman times mormons used to burn and crucify heathens>>

================================================================

Originally posted by James 'Prodigy' Meehan

I have an honest question for you here, do you try this stuff in your games? What is the reaction of your ST? Are these just mental excercises for you or do you actually look at gaming this way? Just curious.

I'll admit, these are pretty twinkish. Of course, any GM with a brain would shut these down in three seconds flat and then smite you with his Enchanted Stick of Munchkin Zotting<sup>tm</sup>.

What, you don't keep one in your bag, just in case? Man, are you tempting fate...

God and I appreciate your persistence Bobmaster.

I have to admitt I laughed long and hard when I read your last two posts. I find nothing wrong with what you are doing, in fact a lot of good can come of this, (aside from the laughter) as it is very useful to know the flaws in a system you plan to ST in.

Kudos to you Bobmaster, please keep up the good work.

It's good to read something this entertaining on line.

Of course should we ever meet in real life I would be forced to bestow divine wrath down upon thine hellish mind through plentiful use of holy water and the lions of Jehovah.

(God knows there are bound to be some somewhere).

God bless all here...except you Bob.

Gather round children and I will tell you a tale of the crappy little power that could.

Chapter 1: Once upon a time there was a crappy little power call homoculus. Its High cost and low everything else caused the other powers too tease it until one foggy christmas eve a munchkin came to say "I need a power to ride shotgun with my latest abomination. Now since all of the other powers were of the reputable sort they of course refused. All except homoculus, who at the time was at the time in the time forced to sleep in the parking lot of a cheesy hotel, thought what the hell and jumped on board.

Chapter 2: Now this is where the story gets interesting. As most of you already know the power of shapeshift is a trully evil being. With a little creativity you can justify pumping your successes into what ever you want. Powers enchancements or mega attributes

Chapter 3: Now the first thing the munchkin did was to link both homoculus and shapeshift to each other. with a total of ten weakness points for homoculus and 6 fpr shapshifter he reduced shapeshifter to lv 2 and made it a permanent power. He then reduced homoculus to first level and bought 3 dots. He then bought 5 dots in mega stamina. And wracked himself with 8 points of taint. After picking up 5 dots in shape shift.

Chapter 4: As the sun set the munchkin activated his powrs for the first time. He ripped off his arms and his legs and made shape shift rolls for each one. Transforming the left leg into a suit of biotech powerarmor with 5 dots of impervious armor. And 4 dots of mega strength. The right leg became cannon of sorts that spit harpoon like spears quantum bolt at five with armor piercing. To the left arm he made a a whip with the aggravated ranged claws power. He bought many dots in both. And his right arm turnedinto a helet that gave psionic invulnerability and a lttle bit of mega perception. To himself he gave mega dexterity and whatever else he wanted.

Chapter 4:Now kids the moral of this story is don't do drugs and never hold out on your pimp. Now git....

Epilouge: THis little section down here is here for the sole purpose of making this five steps not four.......Oh yeah and homoculus lasts forever so give it up. And yes I know that homoculus doesn't specifically state that they can use quantum powers it is a ability is indirectally granted by the limitations on small homoculii. And before you start hissing ITS A THIRD FUCKING LEVEL POWER WADDAYA EXPECT.

================================================================

HE WHO HACKS FIRST HACKS LAST

HE WHO NEEMS FIRST NEEMS LAST

HE WHO PAYS HIS CREDITORS FIRST DOESN'T GET HIS KNEES BROKEN

[This message has been edited by bobmaster SQUARED (edited 08-10-2001).]

Quote:
Originally posted by Ripsaw:
Sorry, it specifically states that homonuculei do not possess any quantum powers. Once you remove your arm it does not have shapeshift.

What it actually says is that small size homunculii have no quantum powers but if you deny it specificly to small then the fact that larger homunculii can have quantum powers becomes enumerated.

Anyway this is just as effective with clone. Boost the weaknesses and bam. You've got equivalency

Bobmaster,

you're totally nuts... but you are also very much in touch with your inner munchkin and I respect that. People who aren't tend to think they have nothing to fear but it hides inside all of us. A person has to exorcise their demons or they canker within ;-9

btw I've been off the internet for nearly 8 months are you who I think you are?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mastermind:
Yes, we definitely are as bad as he is. In the past, I once accidentally reduced a GM to tears.

This is why me gaming room is also where I keep me swords...

------------------
The Eleventh Wonder of the World.

Hype, Sacrelige, Uniforms...

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to say that anyone who even tries to rape the system like that is a disgrace to roleplaying. Aberrant, or any Whitewolf produced game, for that matter, is a world where roleplaying matters more than who is strongest and toughest. If you're going to try and be a munchkin, and fail miserably, as you don't have the imagination to do something interesting, then go play Dragonball Z, or something like that. Your pitiful kind is welcome there.

I was just looking at the example in the beginning of this thread, and I don't see how it would work as advertised:

One disrupt will ruin his day, since all the other damage powers would need that one power in order to work.

One invisible Assasin with a gold skull mask can sneak up on him, and, reflexive or not, you have to AIM it, and any ST would tell you there's no way to aim at someone invisible. Goodby Munchkin, Hello, Spear-through-yer-heart.

One Mesmerist with Holo or Mirage will have you shooting at the wrong target while they put a gun to your head in the same turn and fire.

One Delayed Q-blast allows an assassin to fire that Maxed deadly shot an hour before you're sitting on that toilet.

And one more for the road: You can't kill poison gas.

------------------

"And Now, Maximal, You shall BUUUUUUURN...." ---Inferno, of the Predacons

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclone:
I would have to say that anyone who even tries to rape the system like that is a disgrace to roleplaying. Aberrant, or any Whitewolf produced game, for that matter, is a world where roleplaying matters more than who is strongest and toughest. If you're going to try and be a munchkin, and fail miserably, as you don't have the imagination to do something interesting, then go play Dragonball Z, or something like that. Your pitiful kind is welcome there.

They're not a disgrace to roleplaying - they just don't play our game. You can't tell me that you haven't, every now and then, revelled in a complete no-morals kill-everything-in-sight adventure! It is the ultimate stress-reliever. Yes, it's not the sort of thing that you should inject into a conspiracy-esque angsty game, but as a theme of a game, such a thing is just the ticket for pre-exam stress.

Boys, boys, calm down and breathe. In point of fact, some of the finer citizens of this board have:

1. Done a decent job of making large sections of the planet inhabitable.

2. Turned Manhattan into a glacier.

3. Created a new universe accidentally.

4. Stolen the entire population of monkeys off the planet Earth (don't ask, you don't want to know. Beware strange doctors and always ask to see a diploma first.)

5. Skipped across three galaxies before breakfast.

... and so on. We're playing a game where a starting character can conceivably have enough power (or the right power) to kill everyone in any major city you care to name faster than you can say Divis Mal. If someone wants to spend their days theorizing ultimate novas then remember it's their time and energy. Maybe they derive pleasure from it. What do you think the Directive does all day? Granted it may strike some as wasteful but I feel comfortable in saying that courtesy is always appreciated whether you get compliments or not on it.

[This message has been edited by Wizard (edited 09-02-2001).]

Thank you Wiz for injecting a little understanding into this subject. I have to admit that I was a little overly shocked by Bobmaster at first, but I have to admit, given a little time to absorb it all I was fairly impressed with the amount of thought he had put into it. Its all good and fun. If thats the game he wants to play, good for him, I hope he has a blast. Personally, I wouldn't want to do it, but ya know, my opinions don't define the totality of what gaming should be.

Now, as for your first example Wizard, I have explained that I was in a very bad mood when that happened. I am sorry already. My bad.

Thanks, Bobmaster. Fore-warned is to ly in ambush should I ever see this. Every game systems has cracks in its player design system. Some, you can drive trucks through. Long ago, I learned the greatest of all GM/DM/ST powers. "No! Not in my game."

Now-a-days, I start by asking, "What is the theme of your powers?" World destroyer is not an option.

I also game in undisclosed locations near a deserted lake or sink hole and I bring a wood chipper. We have fewer munchkins and powergamers around here, now. Imagine that.

• 2 weeks later...

tsk Tsk,

One of the first rules that we learn at munchkin U is that everything has a hole. Well almost anything. Only one character design is infallible and since it require Q10 its rediculus to consider. Yes a disrupt can hurt a munchkin reliant on a single power but thats not the point. The second the GM Starts back pedaling like that he has lost his dignity and the player has officially won. For example, the first munchkin post I made showed the quick and easy way to deal buttloads of damage but a telepath with channeling and mental b;ast could nuke his greymatter into a fully liquid form.

Lesson 1: If a player is totally out of the realm of good taste use the baseline solution.

Lesson 2: The baseline solution, this is the most humiliating way for any super human to die for it entails a baseline doing the job.

Lesson 3: Making it work.

Item 1: Zacheus Sniper rifle- this weapon mentioned breifly in the proteus section of project utopia is an anti nova sniper rifle. It has the supposed power to kill Corbin. Dream up the stats yourself.

Item 2: Bank of Tuscalupa- Lets say that the bank of tuscalupa is a small swiss firm whose director happens to owe the villian a favor. And by some divine coincedence the players happen to keep their cash here.....

Item3: A inert Munchkin- Everyone has to have some sort of down time whether it is sleep or chrysalis. Use item 4 on inert munchkin

Item 4: Heavy Rail Gun- 20DL[17]

Lesson 4: Automatic action. An average munchkin sees life as the thing between combat. If you allow him to say " I'm going to the store" it allows you to take temporary and limited control of his character for the purpose of going to the store. This way you can have his highly wanted face wander past the house of Doctor Zorbo his arch nemisis.

Lesson 5: Novas with tailored power schemes are two things. A one shot deal and and the one thing most like to brew ire in your flock

Until next time sports fans

Bobmaster, is quite frankly, a rank amateur compared to myself. I break game systems - two so far, to be exact. When I break a system, I don't just find a combination of specific factors that are tremendously powerful, I find a loophole that can be applied to almost any character and has almost godlike effects. I've done this to Aberrant and to GURPS - and breaking GURPS is very impressive. My only problem is my obsession that all numbers I work with end with either 2,5, or 0.

Breaking GURPS? Too easy. Just add water...er I mean Edetic Memory. (or whatever that X4 mental points advantage is called)

Bobmaster, do you do requests? How about a deathmachine twinkfest using only level 1 powers and no quantum cost. Take your time. I really look forward to seeing the results smile.gif

Pfah. I can create a character far more efficient than anything Bobmaster can come up with using those perameters and just ONE nova-point. I'll reveal my method if Dr. 0 from the WW forum reveals his uber-secret power combo. (see "best powers" thread)

[This message has been edited by Mastermind (edited 09-18-2001).]

Archived