Aberrant RPG - What's your character like? Part 2

Matt

Well we could all meet in the middle once a month or so to play.

The problem with the flight dice pool is that it is possible to use flight and never make the roll. Thus you are getting a strength without much of a corresponding weakness. I know that if I were ST I would simply say no to a request like that. Now to if you want to treat the power as 1 dot less for determining speed or something similar that would be fine. But getting permanent duration for missing one die on a roll that is 'optional' is something that I simply wouldn't let happen.

You have a more serious problem with your claws. Point wise it works but because you took the 3 point simultaneous weakness your PC takes 3 points of bashing if he ever activates the AP claws without activating the agg ones. Only if he activates both at once is he fine. However it sounds to me like you intend to use the lethal AP claws by themselves a lot ... you can but that's a lot of damage for each activation.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Teulisch Faust:
flight does have a dice pool, of dex+flight. reducing the dice pool as a 1-pt weakness to pay for a 1 pt strength to duration is fairly standard by the players guide.
Ah yes, the single most broken part of the APG. wink There really should be some way to make these sorts of powers perm (as opposed to powers like Dominate). But calling them a one point strength isn't it. I'm not sure what they meant (maybe we are supposed to also reduce the q cost to zero) but I've yet to see a ST who would accept this one.

Quote:
Teulisch Faust:
the claws for this character have two modes. normal, which is permanent lethal armor piercing, and a 'powered up' when energy surrounds the hands for more damage. at a 3 pt weakness, linked is simotaneous no dice penalty. by itself, that would mean 3 bashing if it was used and power it was linked to was not used that same round. but with the 2 pt dependancy, it wont work at all without the other power already active.
Generally, those two types of weaknesses are mutually exclusive. You can't claim that the two powers *must* be used at the same time and also claim that one *must* be used before the other. And I'm not sure how much of a weakness it is to have a perm power as the power that must be on.

Another problem, one weakness doesn't reduce the other. Since one set of claws is always on, you had better pay q for the other unless you want to take damage from your "must turn them on" weakness(your dorm would get around this).

My suggestion: For a lot of what you are doing, you might be better off with bio-mods. Make a new bio mod called "claws". With them you can make a Str +3 lethal attack (notice the slight modification of the "Tendril" bio mod). It would only be 1 nova point. For perm flight, just buy bio-mod: wings. You have Dorm 5, so you can do this and still have a human form.

I read on the WW Forum that there was an error in creating the weakneses/strengths in regards to duration. It isn't supposed to be concentration/maintenance/permenent. There is supposed to be an additional step, maintenence(scenes).

Going to agree with Dr. Troll on the exclusive nature of simulatneous and dependent. One requires that the other be active in order to be started and the other requires that they both be activated at the same time.

first off, the weakness only applies to the agg claws, so theres no penalty for the other power, as it does not have that weakness.

claw bio-mod may work, but wings would not (dosent fit concept). and wings cant work in outer space, or buy an extra to work underwater.

regarding flight dice, it could turn up on a regular basis, if you use the power creatively enough.

isnt it amazing how quickly we can fall to arguing rules? we have diferent opinions of the rules we read in the book, but unless we all sit down to play the same game, its really a non-issue.

i havent seen any errata on weakness/strength yet myself, but it could certainly use it. WW isnt the best for wording things clearly.

cruel- if he had enough points of weakness (15 in fact, to bring it down to lv 3, or 9 with the extras bought seperate) then he could have the extras, but for a higher level you need high quantum.

Quote:
Originally posted by Teulisch Faust:
first off, the weakness only applies to the agg claws, so theres no penalty for the other power, as it does not have that weakness.
Actually that's not true. Re-read the weaknesses, that's what I did.

Linking powers affects both even though you only get the weakness on one IF you choose the activation time limits.

As for the rules stuff I think the main reason you don't see that on other PCs is that few of them use weaknesses and flaws as much as you have with this guy. Those are the areas where most discussion happens.

Actually I'm not so sure that this is the case.

3 levels of weaknesses nets you a 'free' extra. To me that says the the level of the power is not changed.

So it should be possible to take a level 3 power like healing with an extra and three weaknesses without any kind of problem. It would still be a level 3 power.

So to answer Cruel's question I would say: 'sort of.'

While 5 levels of a weakness will reduce a powers 'level' by one for XP cost and the like it does not reduce Q minimum. So, in theory, if you could find a level 4 power with a Q-minimum of 5 or less then you could have a level 4 power. I don't think you could limit a level 5+ power enough to bring it down to level 3 or less.

I also think you would pratically have problems limiting a level 1 power enough to support more than 2 free extras (and thus keeping it a level one power).

The question was about level 6 powers. A level 3 power with a lot of weaknesses can become level 2, or with extras it can be level 4. To do the later you need Q6.

I've toyed with the idea of having the +5 Strength, -1 to Q min. Thus a Q6 min, level 4 power would thus need 10 points in weaknesses, 5 to reduce the level & 5 to reduce the Q min.

More to the point, a Q1 player could buy basic FF as a level 3 power.

Yeah the question was about level 6 powers but Meridian brought up some good points. Plus...

Quote:
Originally posted by Meridian

I don't think you could limit a level 5+ power enough to bring it down to level 3 or less.

It would be hard so maybe not but that's if you're talking about a whole power too. For instance you could export a technique from a level 5 suite, bringing it down a level, and then adding 5 levels of weaknesses to bring it down another level. Assuming it was a level 5 to begin with you could craft a level 3 power out it pretty easily. If the starting point is level 6 it becomes more difficult but it can still be done.

Doing something like this I would probably start with range limiting weaknesses, which equate to one level of weakness per dot subtracted for purposes of determining range. If you're satisfied with "touch" range you might be able to gain as many as 8-9 levels of weaknesses from this kind of modification alone.

With one more weakness level on some aspect of the power this would be enough to bring a level five to level 3.

One of the things I like about the above is that it gives creative players a chance to put together a character showing the abilties in the APG without them being power monsters capable of rewriting the genetic codes of every species on the planet just on a whim.

Besides - the powers in the APG have to start somewhere. Its not like you suddenly develop quantum awareness because you cross the Q6 barrier. Especially when all you could do before was glow and chuck rocks into orbit.

To my eyes (just because I tend to be fairly lenient when it comes to this sort of thing), if a player is willing to pay the points to have a Level 4-6 Power, and has the Quantum Minimum to purchase it, he may have it. Not all L4 Powers have a Quantum Minimum of 6, after all (Crosstime Travel only has a Quantum Minimum of 2, so L4 shouldn't be restricted only to high-Quantum Characters) The Core book indicates that Extras can't increase a power's level past 3, but with the APG, I consider that rule null and void. I can't see why I should deny a player the chance to use some of the funky new extras avaliable to L3 powers.

That said, I do make them pay for it. If we follow the Nova Point cost progression, Level 4 powers would be 7 Nova Points (4 Tainted), Level 5 Powers would be 9 Nova Points (5 Tainted), and Level 6 Powers would be 11 Nova Points (6 Tainted). Also, They still have to pay the correct level of Quantum to activate the power (L4-4QP, L5-5QP, L6-6QP).

Now, If a player truly wants to spend the points to buy such expensive powers, they can be my guest. But they are spending horrific amounts of Nova Points here, that they certainly could be spending elsewhere. Further, In-Game, someone who has to pay 4-5 QP each time they want to activate a suite power is going to feel the pinch on their Quantum wallet pretty darn quickly. If they do pay the points, that's NP (and QP) not spent on other things, and the player is going to have to weigh that up. I mean, Even Tainted, 6 Nova Points for a L6 Power will suck up a fifth of your allocation, and pumping that to 5 dots effectively means that they have Quantum 1, two Aberrations, and are basically Baselines with a single Power, something that will almost certainly prove to be unwise when the game gets going.

It's really a risk assessment thing. As ST, I find that the risk of letting a Player have such a power is relatively low. As a Player, however, I certainly wouldn't buy powers above L3 unless I had a damn good reason. The price tends to be a little high for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cody:

Quote:
Originally posted by Meridian

I don't think you could limit a level 5+ power enough to bring it down to level 3 or less.

It would be hard so maybe not but that's if you're talking about a whole power too. For instance you could export a technique from a level 5 suite, bringing it down a level, and then adding 5 levels of weaknesses to bring it down another level. Assuming it was a level 5 to begin with you could craft a level 3 power out it pretty easily. If the starting point is level 6 it becomes more difficult but it can still be done.
It could be done, but there ain't no way on god's green earth I'd allow it. Weaknesses on L5 and L6 Powers are, quite frankly, damn stupid. You're effectively taking a god-like power and placing some minor restrictions on it, just so it's cheap enouugh to purchase.

I say nope, nada, ixnay, not in a million years, no. It smacks of deliberate Twinkery on the highest order. Of course, I've never been a big fan of the Weakness/Strength system in the first place, so there you go. I've used Strengths on a few characters (although never more than one or two), and the Duration thing really does require some thinking out to really view the repercussions.

An example which I thought was an idea, was when I came up with a Child Shapeshifter. The Shapeshifter, unfortunately, had completely forgotten what he originally looked like, so he had no "default form". As such, I used strengths to change the Duration from Maintenance to Permanent. So, when he changes, he'll remain in that form until he chooses to change again. Also, I decided that Shapeshift without QP cost was a little overpowered, so I stated that the character still needed to spend quantum to change form.

So, he's a shapeshifter who can't shift back to his "normal" form, but still needs to pay to change. I find that acceptable.

But to be honest, I'd throw out any character trying to incorporate Weakened L5-L6 powers. Just my ruling.

Quote:
Kirby1024:
Crosstime Travel only has a Quantum Minimum of 2, so L4 shouldn't be restricted only to high-Quantum Characters.
I seem to recall one of the developers over on the WW forum saying that was a typo & should have been 6. Having said that, for certain types of games I'd like that one with less than a 6 (although 2 seems low considering the Q mins of teleport and Time Control).

Is it me, or should the APG been labled Aberrant Storyteller Options??? or atleast most of it??? Out of all the books, limited as they are, put out by WW for aberrant, this one book, typically gets abused... Some players see it as a way to customize their character's powers, and others see it as the munchkin guide....

I do like the newer powers available for the system, not neccesarily for the players, I do believe the essence of the STR and Weakness's was a needed aspect of the game. Needed to compete with other Super power games, to give mutability...

But I would have to say, that concept/special effect has an implied effect.. example.. a fiery based Q bolt, would be some what restricted in water, with out the weakness...

Point being is that Str and weaknesses are great, but can be tweaked a bit further than they are intended to be. I do believe that the powers in the APG, are meant for initially what your character can grow into. Or to balance a character out at creation allowing for a bit of tweaking to get a few more points. But utilizing it to get the STR and Weakness on a q bolt just cause you want to be able to stomp mudholes in another NPC/PC.. No...

I utilize it when I have a character who has a really good concept, but the core rules can not quite give what is needed... as in Kirby's example... But Not when a player wants to tweak his AP, MIRV, aggravated q bolt, and wants to get down to a level 3..... or even a level 2.... I would allow the weaknesses to apply if the character could explain 1. a good concept, 2. apply the Nova point savings to a power that round the character out more...

Conceptualization will win me over quicker than "becasue I want to do more damage that has a less of chance of being soaked.."

Input??

Crazy Screwed Up Concept

Bobby the Boxer

Flaw : Midget

Growth : Always on 5

Denity increase 5 always on

Claws 5

armour 5 ( all on bashing )

Durabilty

Hardbody

and that one with turn L into bashing for 1 quantum?? writting this a web shop no books

damage 50 mega strength 10 + 5 dice Claws + 5 dice from combat roll LETHAL

Soak 8 mega stam + 30 from armour + 5 eufiber 42

4 extra actions

Wish I had enoth points left for Forcefield (snigger)

stupid or what

another silly idea...

manipulation 5 / mega 2

Persador

dominate 5

Roll 10 dice plus 2 mega

Average Roll 7 successes

+3 from Persader

Rule with 4 successes you have total control of them "Dorm down please, stand still...."

hit him with a fire axe

Bang dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Xzaviar:
Is it me, or should the APG been labled Aberrant Storyteller Options???

Conceptualization will win me over quicker than "becasue I want to do more damage that has a less of chance of being soaked.."

Input??
Every book should be that way. Golden rule man.

Agree with you on Conceptualization but I do not mind a little tweaking if it fits the concept. Concept is golden but a little min maxing is acceptable to me once that is taken care of.

What I hate the most is hearing stuff like "I want to play this guy. He has Force Field 1, Quantum Bolt 3, Mega Dex 3, and Mega Stamina 3. What do you mean 'how did he erupt?' I don't know! I'll get to that later!"

Blame it on the DnD lifestyle. Build a butt-kicker, with all the numbers meshing, and screw the concept. Concept gets eaten by the DM. That is, unfortunately the culture now among most gamers in my area. Ever since d20 came out, it seem the wrong crowd has appeared in the usual groups, and I've seen the best of gamers turn into munchkins just to survive a brutal DM. Why is it that DnD brings out the worst in people? Quite frankly I'm sick of it.

Concepts are also the responsibility of the ST. If a faceless killing machine is who they are, have the world treat them like one. Have the world treat the concept characters like real, stable, people. Sociopaths are given a wide berth, in general.

You know, just because you people can't get a handle on any rule system more complicated than "What the ST says, goes." doesn't mean you have to cap on the system. laugh

Just kidding. But seriously, to paraphrase the Great Booker T, don't hate the game, hate the crappy ass players.

Well, at least when I do play DnD, let's just say... I BRING THE PAIN. Yes, I can haul when things go that road. I don't like it, but I guess when I need a break and need to break stuff, a good hack and slash never fails for relax factor. ^.^ But... I'd rather be a superhero. So, Silver Age Sentinels turns my crank for that. But, I like it here. Outside from the occasional tiff, it's not too bad here.

Huh?

Okay, if you fail, but by less than 5, you come close. If you succeed by more than five, you do so with spectacular flair. That's the house rule that my groups use, anyway.

As an ST who has players who hate math, I do it for them. I am pretty good at it, so it isn't a problem. I just tell them what they need to roll on the die.

When I am a player, I help out as well. It isn't much of a problem, if people are willing to help out to keep the game running smoothly.

• 5 weeks later...

Name: Jeremy "Cody" Stone

Eruption: Frustration/pain

Concept: Nobody

Nature: Survivor

Allegiance: Still evolving - associates with Terats and despises Project Utopia.

Strength 4 (Stout)

Dexterity 3

Stamina 3

Perception 3

Intelligence 4 (Clear-headed)

Wits 2

Appearance 2

Manipulation 4 (Resolute)

Charisma 2

Abilities: Athletics 3, Awareness 3, Driving 2, Endurance 3, Engineering 4 (Vehicles), Firearms 3, Might 2, Resistance 3, Survival 3,

Backgrounds: Contact-2, Cipher-2, Mentor-2, Resources-1

Willpower 5, Quantum 5, Initiative 7, Move (7m, 15m, 32m) Taint 1

Mega attributes

Dexterity -1,

Physical Prodigy

Intelligence -1,

Mental Prodigy (Engineering)

Perception 1,

Molecular Awareness: The ability to directly sense the molecular structure of a given object in a manner similar to quantum attunement. By spending a quantum point, the nova can make a Perception + Molecular Awareness roll to identify the chemical composition and properties of any substance with range of (Quantum + Perception) x 20 meters.

Powers:

New Power: Transmutation-3

Level: 3

Quantum Minimum: 5

Dice Pool: Manipulation + Transmutation

Range: (Quantum + Power Rating) x 10 meters

Area: NA

Duration: Variable

The character can rearrange the molecular structure of solids or liquids (not gas or plasma) into new configurations, transforming a computer into a suit or a ring into a bullet. The exact nature of the changes, and the duration, depends on the number of successes achieved on a Manipulation + Transmutation roll. Use the Molecular Alteration table located on page 213 of the Aberrant Core book for a guideline on successes with the following change. Duration of the power is normally one hour per dot in Transmutation, however, this can be extended to the next higher duration by spending additional successes. For instance one success can be spent to change the duration from hours to days, two change the duration from days to months and three successes can be spent to make the change permanent.

Note 1: At the storytellers discretion it may be necessary for the character to possess the ability required to build a complex device from scratch in order to create a functional device with Transmutation. In this case the ability substitutes for manipulation in the roll. For example, to create a functional taser from a log would require the Engineering skill.

Note 2: As written and if allowed by the storytellers, Transmutation will affect living matter. The following conditions apply to such transformations;

- Novas possessing the Hardbody Enhancement, defined as the ability to resist change, may "soak" the effect of the transformation using their lethal soak to offeset the successes on the Transmutation roll as if it were an attack. If their hardbody is defined as a form of armor they're out of luck. In Cody's case partial transmutations are apparent. And this has only a little to do with balance. I hate unsoakable-sure-kill attacks.

- Where conscious living matter is concerned, willpower can be spent at the time of the event to offset duration and attack successes. Yes you can turn Pax into a statue but he's coming for you eventually. Yes it probably costs a lot of will power points to offset the effect completely. It sucks to be a target.

- Molecular Alteration can be used to "reverse" the effect on a straight resisted roll of the Molecular Alteration technique vs Transmutation, although Molecular Alteration successes can be achieved over time. The rules for "Second Chances" applies.

Appearance:

Currently "just under 18" years old, Cody stands 5'10" with a very muscular and stocky frame. Always casually dressed in jeans and work boots, his shock of blond hair is medium length and matches his brown eyes.

Distinctive features:

Until very recently Cody was nearly indistinguishable from a baseline. That changed a month ago when he drove several hundred miles to the shop of nova artist Stigmata and told her to "give it her best shot." Using her unique abilities to control the form and properties of blood, Stigmata tattooed an intricate tracery of celtic influenced lines around his left eye/cheek and a far more ambitious display of bold line designs across his back and shoulders. The nature of the scarring is such that it tends to pick up and reflect ambient light giving it the appearance of glowing in rippling shades of red.

His family and friends are less than comfortable with the "new" Cody. He loves it and and will often go without a shirt to show off the work, describing it as Tuatha Da Dannaan meets Tron. Interestingly as his quantum expertise grows the patterns of the scarring seem to shift and move he exerts himself. This does not disturb him in the slightest and he claims the patterns reflect his quantum awareness proving the genius of Stigmata.

He'll also grudging admit the process was the second most painful thing he's ever experienced and a very close second at that.

History;

Cody erupted in his Uncle's junkyard where he's spent the summer after a fight with a rival football player ended with him breaking the other boy's jaw. Initially upset by the exile from his friends and home, he quickly developed a love of machines and the old cars while helping his Uncle with several restoration projects. It was late one evening with his Uncle gone for the week that Cody erupted in frustration and anger as, while trying to mount a fender of a 1941 Mercury, he sliced his hand to the bone.

For an instant the world seem to flicker as swirling motes of light leapt from his chest into the body of the wreak and surrounding stacks of crushed metal. In moments it all began to glow with an inner light, groaning as it began reshaping itself. In less than a minute a fully restored and customized automobile stood before him gleaming.

Unfortunately, with mass drawn from the surrounding metal stacks, several tons of off-balance steel and aluminum toppled over on both the car and Cody. Pinned to the ground, Cody spent the next couple of days drifting in and out of consciousness. If asked he'll say he learned the most valuable lesson of his life at that time. Exerting his new abilities to free himself, and failing as often as he succeeded, he realized a basic truth that forms the core of his beliefs now. If you can't save yourself no one can do it for you.

Within a week he met his first Terat when the nova called Qui, aka Mizuko, approached him. Having tracked him down through some odd stories publically reported she offered an agreement to train him. Their relationship is equal parts wiser older sister to younger brother and hated instructor to willful student. After surviving her pushing him off a cliff face in the Rocky Mountains to prove a point he's leaning heavily towards the latter. He just can't decide if he loathes her with all of his heart or if he's falling in love. Either way she scares the hell out of him.

It should be noted that Mizuko, although an ally, is the go-between for Cody and his unknown mentor within the Teragen. Cody is as yet unaware that Mizuko observes him secretly or that she reports to another.

Questions:

Is there a "to hit" with this attack?

Also, why wouldn't Mega-Stamina and/or rgenerations work against this? After all, the target remains a nova, just worked differently. I am not sure I would let this power alter someones node so that it didn't function. Think about it.

How would it work against an attuned object?

Opinions:

The success interchange with duration is, pardon me, insane.

With three extra successes, I turn a nova into a statue ... permanently?

Enhancing Duration to that scale is what Mastery is all about.

I missed a note that should have been there. Personally I lean towards anything that allows a nova to resist change, or recover from it, to work. I also think that any ST that allows the power into his game needs to make a few decisions just like with most other level 3 powers. Does shape-shifting allow you to become fire? As written the power will support that but some will say "NO!". I personally think it depends on how you define your shape-shifting.

I had no intention of turning off someone's node, in Cody's case it doesn't, but I also didn't want to add a bazillion notes to this to cover all eventuallities. This is where an ST needs to make choices and ruling. I think any form that doesn't allow consciousness inherently is vulnerable to the argument that the nova is "sleeping" but others will see it differently.

Opinions;

1. Insane?

Old rule from another game - if I can kill man a I can transform him and the net effect is the same. I value your opinion but this is a case where one ST would say no and another will say yes. I'm not proposing you add this to your game. I'm just listing Cody's sheet.

2.A. Permanent Statues?

If you lack a suitable defense and have zip for will power left then you deserve what you get. Which would you prefer to be; a statue that can be recovered with Molecular Alteration or some clever use of other quantum power authorized by the ST? Or dead?

2.B. Mastery?

See 1. above. Granted I didn't define every conceivable condition or permutation of game play or defense but neither does the Aberrant rules. Golden rule and the rule of no comes into play here as does ST preparation.

I'll gladly answer any and all questions about concept, and I value your opinion as well as everyone elses, but I really do believe this is balanceable within a game.

First I like the character concept. Now about that power.

The if I can kill I can transform comes from Champs ... but even there it is more difficult to permanently transform than to kill ... and every transformation must have a reasonable way to be undone. Requiring another level 3 power to undo this transformation isn't reasonable though letting things like Regeneration work helps a bit.

The thing that gets me the most about this power is that it is essentially Molecular Manipulation on steroids. To me this power looks like MM + an extra or so and thus in my mind a level 4 power. A generous ST might keep it at level three but with a Q minimum of 6. Personally I would say level 4 with Q-6 for non-living and Q-7 for living as the power is written.

I would also be a LOT more comfortable with the duration upgrade if it were less extreme if you were trying to keep this at level 3. Each success adding another [dots in power] hours would go over a lot better with me than what you have. Jager is right that Mastery (and high Q) is really what duration increases like you have written is about.

Now about the Hardbody soak … Hardbody is the ultimate resistance to strange attacks like this. Novas with HB should use bashing soak not lethal (or even just be able to ignore the attack altogether) IMO or you need some sort of WP resistance to this attack if it is a level 3 power.

Thanks for the compliment on the concept. I kind of like Cody.

On your comments... Like I told Jager I forgot to add a note. For Cody, anything that lets you to resist change or recover from it should have a decent chance, which is my version of the "common defense". If you want me to list Cody's "common defenses" I will but they range from regeneration (quick recovery) to force field (the transmute 'slides' right off). Unlike Champions, AB allows you a lot of lee-way on the relationship between mechanics and special effect. Like my example of shape shifting - one nova's definition will let you become fire but another nova is stuck shape shifting into animals. That's the way it goes.

Molecular Manipulation on steroids? I disagree here but I'm not sure if you were confusing MM with one of it's techniques (Molecular Alteration). If you had said Molecular Alteration I would agree with everything you said about it. It is Molecular Alteration on steroids. But if you really meant Molecular Manipulation... that has a number of listed techniques and even more that could be added conceptually. MM covers much more ground than Transmutation even if it does have a technique which has a limited resemblance to Transmutation.

Does Transmutation kick the crap out of the Molecular Alteration technique? Yes it does - just like a quantum bolt kicks the crap out of the lightning bolt technique of Weather Manipulation. QB is a level 2 power and Lightning Bolt is only a technique in a level 3 power. Regardless of the 'technique versus power argument' I did decide that Transmutation had to be a level 3 power just because of what it does.

It does makes Cody a bit of one trick pony but there's a lot you can do with it and he isn't joining the Justice League so it's okay. wink

The duration thing is going to cause some people problems no doubt about it. I could argue that it's just a built in version of a strength but then there's be the whole "I think strengths and weaknesses are broken" thing. Truthfully I came up with the duration thing because;

- It doesn't make sense to me to burn a permanet point of willpower to make a penny out of a beer can or a gun out of an engine block.

- Using MA I can create a skyscraper out of sand (with enough successes) but if I have a Will of 10 it's going to cost me 36 EP to recover. If I only had a Will of 2 it costs me 4 EP to recover. It's the same skyscraper though and that strikes me as a little silly.

- Strengths and weaknesses are part of the game even if there is disagreement on how they should be applied. I understand some wouldn't feel comfortable with it and others would see no problem.

- And honestly I think the "willpower" rule was added to Matter Creation and Molecular Alteration at the last minute by someone that didn't really think it through or play test it properly.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really do appreaciate it even if I don't necessary agree with some of your points. Remember; I'm not telling you to add this to your game. I'm just putting up Cody's sheet because a couple of people asked about him.

ADDED:

Whoops! Missed your HB comment. I think that workable. Different folks are going to see it different ways but I see the rationale for using bashing soak vice lethal soak. Besides - there's always going to be the guy that gets a surprise because his in-game definition of the enhancement doesn't protect while another guys does. I kind of like that about Aberrant. There's never a sure thing that applies to every situation... smile

I think I'd like the whole Duration Shift Effect a little more if those extra Successes had to come from spending Temporary Willpower points, ie, by spending this much willpower during the roll (not after) you can increase the duration effect. Expensive, but not prohibitively so, Means that permanent effects aren't going to be tried all that often, and if you do, it's a real effort, IC-wise. Also, against Sentients, it makes it a real struggle of will for the two people involved.

Tack that on, and I'd consider this a fairly well-balanced power. Otherwise, simply spending successes just seems off to me. Otherwise, nice concept smile

Kirby:

Similar to maxing a quantum power using willpower to activate extra successes? Yeah, I can see that. Plus, I like the idea of the struggle of will between two sentient novas. Thanks for the refinement.

Jager:

The two answers to the questions I missed...

- Would a "to hit" roll be required? Not as I envisioned it. We're jumping directly to an opposition of wills to resolve success, similar to telepathy or domination, so that makes sense to me.

- Attuned objects - I would call this the exception that proves the rule.. Say the nova Rapture the Resurrection Man has attuned his sword and Cody tries to transmute. The sword is effectively part of the nova so he can resist by spending the willpower points. If Rapture weren't attuned to the sword it transmutes without opposition.

Something to think about (Or Why Power Definitions Make A Difference)... Nova A has Immolate: fire, Transmutation may affect the nova but it won't touch the fire itself. Nova B has immolate defined as thousands of swirling little steel blades surrounding the nova. Oops. They just became little styrofoam peanuts... smile

RENARD

Description: Renard is on the short side, 170 cm tall, and skinny (57 kgs). He has dark skin, is of obvious arabic heritage and keeps his dark hair shaved. Renard is eighteen yers old and looks pretty young.

He wears black leather jeans, black Doc Marten boots, fingerless black gloves, a black tanktop and black shades. Outdoors he might add a well-worn leatherjacket.

Renard’s English and French are distinctively upperclass while his Arabic is filled with street slang.

Renard’s claws and teleport have the visual effect of a ‘red laser’, see the anime Wicked City for visual.

Background: Renard was born in Algeria by poor parents who died when he was six. He was adopted by an elderly Parisian couple (he was French, she was English) of significant wealth and was soon put in good schools. From the begining he was hassled due to his origin, looks and small frame. The next year his adopted father died and a nasty dispute with his relatives (who wanted his money of course) began.

Two years later his adopted mother died and Renard’s father’s relatives kicked Renard out (foul play suspected)! The next few years Renard spent on the streets and in the metro (see the movie Subway!) living as a beggar, thief and con artist apprentice. He often found his flawless French and upperclass English assets but his ethnicity was a real drawback. Six months ago he was cornered by two racist ‘flics’ in a dark alley. Beaten almost to death, Renard erupted and left the cops in pieces.

Renard has finally realised that he has the power to go whereever he wants and do whatever he feels like. His current economical situation seriously cramps his style though, so he’s looking for emplyment. He has kept out of reach from all nova factions, unwilling to trust anyone, but that may change. He’s off to the Amp Room right now to check out the nova scene...

Eruption: Beaten by racist cops

Concept: Young street criminal

Nature: Survivior

Strength 2: Might 2

Dexterity 4 (coordinated): Athletics 3 (ballet, acrobatics), Drive 1, Firearms 1, Legerdemain 1, Martial Arts 3 (multiple opponents), Melee 1, Stealth 1

Stamina 3: Endurance 3, Resistance 3

Perception 5 (observant): Awareness 3, Investigation 2

Intelligence 3: Academics 1, Bureaucracy 1, Computor 1, Intrusion 1, Linguistics 2 (Native French; English, Arabic)

Wits 5 (cunning): Rapport 2

Appearance 4 (pleasant): Intimidation 2, Style 1

Manipulation 4 (cunning): Interrogation 1, Streetwise 3, Subterfige 2

Charisma 3: Command 1, Etiquette 1, Perform 1

Willpower: 7

Taint: 4

Aberrations: Eyes glow red in the dark and when using Disorient or Teleport (which were bought tainted)

Quantum: 2

Quantum Pool: 24

Initiative: 16 (4 freebies spent here)

Movement: 7/18/38

Soak: 3/1

Merits: Ambidextrous, Time Sense, Internal Compass.

Mega-Atts

Mega-Dexterity 1: Physical Prodigy

Mega-Perception 1: Holographic Awareness

Mega-Wits 1: Quickness

Quantum Powers: Teleport 1 (combat teleport, tainted), Claws 1, Intuition, Psychic Link 1, Psychic Shield 1, Hypnosis 1, Disorient 1 (tainted; mental; victims see everything in a red, unreal and ‘moving’ haze).

Backgrounds: Attunement 5, Dormancy 1, Resources 1.

Archived