Re: Timestreams

kestrel404

I knew this was going to be fun as soon as I read the title.

Bravo, Ashnod. You've just condensed something that's been percolating in my mind ever since I read the Teragen book down into a very eloquent few paragraphs. I look forward to the rest of that thread.

The problem is that NV's not going to end up on top of the heap in any scenario, simply because they don't have a strong agenda. Unless you do one hell of a balancing trick, one of the strongly motivated factions, be it the Casablancas, the Harvesters, or the Cult, is going to come out on top, because they're motivated to. And any way you look at it, the faction whose agenda wins is going to change the direction of the movement as a whole.

Don't forget the Primacy.

Also, what is the Casa's agenda?

Seriously, while they are pretty damn critical in the Teragen not losing the struggle, they can't win it either. The advantage of being a Casa is that there is a lot of leeway in what you can believe, contribute, ect. That also means they are the least unified and organized of the factions. Without Orzaiz's Charisma and Leadership, they would be in much worse shape than they are ... and a good number of other would realize that.

Hmmmm ... I seem to be ranting.

Oh, but you forgot a group.

Nope, didn't forget. But Ashnod doesn't consider Geryon a major player in the Teragen's power struggle, nor NV a major faction seeking to control the Teragen. Hence, she makes no reference to them. Same with the Casablancas.

Quote:
Originally posted by TeleRhyde:
Oh, but you forgot a group. They are others who believe, if not in The Dream, a Dream that includes the survival/betterment of the One Race. Geryon, for instance, is not out to dominate the world, or motivated by personal power, and I doubt he is the only one.
Ash, you are answering the wrong question. I posted about other Idealists in the Teragen in that post, not the factions themselves.

Quote:
Originally posted by Timeslip:
If I were any more out of my depth, I'd need a snorkel. I really, really hope that Timeslip is better at this business than I am....
That's the biggest problem with the Casa's, TS. What is their agenda. Ask ten Casas and you should get at leat five different responses. So, when you are in the Casas and talking about The Dream, what are you really wanting? How many Casa's want that?

Mind you, only The Cult of Mal has anything akin to iron discipline, but at least the Radical Harvesters, The Primacy, and the Pandies have some broad agenda, (along with the Cult) as distasteful as they may be.

=)) ROTFLMAO ...

Well, I admit to being totally in TS's corner on this one. If I was a moderately powerful Terat and I went to a member of the Pantheon with visions of impending doom for the movement, I would expect a little more than "this is about you, really".

Apologies, but if I really a moderately powerful Tera, and went to a member of the Pantheon; I would expect to have my act together before the meeting rather than hope I can get it together during the meeting.

It reads to me as TS coming under false pretenses, however inadvertent that may have been. She claimed to want counsel on a plan but has no plan. Strike 1. She wants guidance but rejects the overtures to clarify her thoughts and present some sort of structure beyond claiming the sky is falling. Strike 2. If this were an actual event rather than something scripted by two authors, I'd be wondering why a Pantheon member is allowing a nub so much time.

All of the above is what I get from reading what's been posted. Doubtless the authors have something innovative in mind and will startle me momentarily with a twist I hadn't expected.

Quote:
Originally posted by Psimon:
Originally posted by Harold 'Mythic' Anderson:
Ask to see Jager's character sheet. wink
Totally dodging the issue. What does Jager's character sheet have to do with the social fabric of the teragen?

Ash is reported to be this big wheel within the social fabric of the Teragen, thus there is some relevance to asking her just were she stands on the issues.
TS is saying (IMO) that she doesn't have any ironclad plans, but does have real world concerns about the fate of the Teragen Movement.
She is not saying (IMO) "come join me in my crusade." She is asking for concrete advice.

Quote:
Originally posted by Harold 'Mythic' Anderson:
Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy Micro:
if I really a moderately powerful Terat
Quantum six and two instances of Crosstime Travel is moderately powerful?

Christ, I don't want to see what you consider to be extremely powerful...
It depends ... she comes across to me as moderately to very powerful only because she is very good at a few things, but really weak in others. Once you hit Q:6, you get really powerful really quick, but that's the system.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
It depends ... she comes across to me as moderately to very powerful only because she is very good at a few things, but really weak in others. Once you hit Q:6, you get really powerful really quick, but that's the system.
Sorry, you crack the six and have two instances of a power that requires it you've gone beyond a medium level of power. If only, what, a dozen novas (out of thousands) have that level of power and/or potential I really couldn't see that to be simply moderate power... you're talking about less than one percent of a population.

If I was a moderately powerful Terat and I went to a member of the Pantheon with visions of impending doom for the movement, I would expect a little more than "this is about you, really".

While this is mostly resolved, I just want to point out that what essentially happened from Ashnod's point of view is that out of the blue she is contacted by a nova that's been off the grid for sometime, in Chrysalis. Said nova comes out of it and says that while in Chrysalis she had a vision of doom for the movement.

Chrysalis isn't exactly known for being the most lucid of states - while Ash is willing to give a fellow Temporal nova the benefit of the doubt, you can also look at it as someone saying "Girl, I had the most fucked up dream and it seemed SOOOOOOO real."

It seems completely real to 'slip, but what was said was essentially "I had a vision in Chrysalis that the movement tore itself apart and I died during it."

Well...yeah. You don't need pretercognition to see that the Teragen is a mass of egos waiting to come to blows - the Mega-Intelligent among the Teragen can tell this is happening and Temporal novas like Ashnod (and in her mind, Timeslip would be the same way) who tend to see things in terms of simple steps with diverging paths can anticipate this being a likely possibility.

So not only is the vision of doom not precisely "new news" for Ash, nothing was offered up in terms of "this happens, then this happens, and this leads to that" etc. OOCly, we know that 'slip's vision wasn't that detailed, so again, ICLY, all that 'slip is offering is basically, "Girl, I had a fucked dream and it seemed so real."

When asked what 'slip wants to do about it, the response is historical references to situations that may or may not apply to 'slip's vision - they are vague ideas about what MAYBE she can do.

But as Micro says, she didn't come with any of this thought out. She came and said "This dream scared the shit of out me." And that's it. No preparation, no research, no details. Just that a vision spooked her.

So - Micro's assessement is pretty dead on from how Ash was perceiving all of this. Obviously, Timeslip is going to approach it from a completely different angle, with a completely different perspective - hence a small butting of heads when intent and delivery do not match up.

Archived