WEIRDER STUFF - Over The Rainbow

WS ST

I

Montana - 11,000 BCE

The hunter shivered and pulled his furs close about him. It had been folly to set out on the hunt this late in the season and to go so far north away from where the tribe usually hunted. Usually by this time  of the year when the season turned and the winds could send the cold and ice at any moment, the tribe would have already been moving south to warmer lands where they could winter. But game had been scarce and illness had taken a  toll on the tribe they had been desperate and had set out chasing the spore of a herd of mammoth when a storm had descended upon the hunting party catching them in the open. Now the lone hunter crouched in the darkness the winds whipping through the inadequate shelter of limbs and debris he had hastily erected after being separated from the party. He shivered and waited for death.

Flashes of light pierced his closed eyelids. He opened his eyes against the wind, waited for the crack of the thunder which he knew accompanied the fire from the sky. It did not come but more flashes did they were odd. There was no sound except the howling wind and the flashes were not the searing white light of the sky fire but different. As well it was not the red of the burning wood. The hunter stirred, sat up and pushed the limbs of his shelter aside.

Off a ways in the distance, far enough to make details impossible in the dark with the blowing snow which now fell obscuring much, yet close enough to see that the light was not flashing from the sky but was a glow from the ground, constant and bright but not white nor red this light was the color of the sky at midday with no clouds a blue light which he had never seen before.

The hunter knew better, but he was a man, one of the first humans to walk this land, his intelligence was not great but it’s potential was vast, and it was curious.

The hunter struggled against the wind and the snow and trudged toward the light he had to see it. Maybe it was shelter, food, maybe it was a danger to the tribe either way he must know. As he came closer to the glow it grew brighter and her heard a sound. It was unlike anything he had ever heard before. There was the likeness to the songs of the birds but deeper so deep that he could feel the notes inside himself warming him guiding him. The ground before him rose sharply so much so that he had to drop his spear, not caring that he probably would not be able to find it later. Using his hands, he climbed to the top of the incline where he found himself upon the lip of a great bowl he could not see the other side, in the bottom the blue light which sang a song never before heard on this world. A song which called to him.

Undisclosed Location, United States of America 1982 CE

It was a 20 x 60 room with bare walls a carpeted floor and a sound proof ceiling. The lighting was supplied by four sets of bar fluorescent tubes which cast a stomach turning yellow glow upon everything, aside from the headache inducing light they produced a hum that was annoying in the extreme.

At each end of the room was a single door at one end a table with fold up legs the kind you could find in schools across the country behind which two men sat. One a young man barely into his twenties with short dark hair who had several folders in front of him on the table. He kept his eyes downcast looking at the folders never at the others. He was dressed conservatively in a dark blue suit and tie, both looked new, but his shoes were worn and not well polished. He had a pensive look about him. Beside him, to his left, sat an older man in his sixties, heavy set but not fat, his hair was grey and thin on top and he had a large bushy mustache and wore thick lensed glasses with Clark Kent frames. He was dressed in a suit that was grey and a few years out of style. In front of him was a microphone and a couple of folders one of which was open. Beside the microphone was a glass of water and on the side of the table to the older mans left was a black pitcher of water. The young man had neither a microphone nor a glass of water.

At the other end of the room was another table behind which sat three men all three had military style haircuts and wore dark suits each had a pile of folders in front of them, and each had a glass of water and their own pitcher. Each also had a microphone.

Two of the men were from congress the third was from the Pentagon.

I don’t really understand Dr. Kline, these programs were shut down in ’73, yet here we are nearly ten years later and you’re still running, what, 4 different test groups, in direct contravention of orders?” The congressman who had spoke sat back and crossed his arms. The other congressman picked up a sheet of paper from one of his folders.

Dr Kline, the heavyset man, adjusted his glasses. “That is correct sir.”

How is that,” asked the Pentagon’s man?

How?” Kline gave the man a blank stare

Yes, Dr Kline, How? How is it that out of 24 projects attached to the MK Ultra program, that is 24 projects which were shut down after exhaustive investigation, criminal trials and even some of your associates being sent to prison for committing acts of torture, physical and sexual abuse, kidnapping. The list goes on. How is it that here in 1982 we find that you are still operating one of these projects and still being fund by American tax dollars.” The outburst from the second congressman drew worried looks from the other two.

Dr. Kline squirmed a bit. “My project was only peripherally attached to MK Ultra, there was only very little crossover. We were not working...”

Pentagon man slams his file closed, “Dr. Kline your project, peripheral or, not was ordered shut down was it not”

Yes it was, but,” He looks at the young man sitting beside him who flips through the folders and produces a thin sheet of paper which he hands to the doctor, “The director saw fit to waive that shut down order due to safety concerns. I have the signed waiver here.”

He hands the paper back tot he young man who stands and delivers it to the panel then returns to his chair. Dr Kline continues, “As you can see I was authorized under secret orders by the then Director of the CIA to continue my project in order to avoid health risk to many of my test subjects who were all volunteers mind you.”

The first congressman ruffles his papers and frowns. “Yes Dr Kline you had 24 subjects at the time of your...waiver. But here we are today and I see your heavily redacted disclosure revealing that you have added no less than 30 additional subjects to your tests.” He hold sup the paper showing the multitude of blacked out line. “You were allowed to continue your work because of safety concerns for your test subject , yet you continued to add further subjects adding to the number of subjects at risk?”

Not exactly. You see as I was saying earlier, my project was not like the other MKUltra programs. You see those programs were almost all seeking to awaken the powers of the mind in subjects who were already developed to jump start them so to speak.”

The panel look at one another and seem uncomfortable at whet they are hearing. Kline continued. “My work was long term not in shocking potential talents but in nurturing and evolving that potential...”

The man from the Pentagon once again interrupted the doctor. “The MKULtra program was a criminal failure that never showed any results Dr Kline, has your project shown any verifiable results?”

Dr Kline pursed his lips and slowly shook his head indicating negative.

Not yet.”

Shelly, Montana late July 2019 CE

It was fair time in Shelly, for four days the folk all across Tool county and its neighbors would gather at the fair ground for the usual FFA livestock shows, local exhibits, carnival rides and games, musical entertainment, and food that hardened the arteries just by looking at it. Fun for everyone. It was also the single most annoying event of the summer for most of the teens and young adults in Shelly due to the massive interruption of routine that it caused.

One of those interrupted routines was Sean Cassidy's long running D&D game which, during the summer, was usually held on Thursday nights, leaving the weekend free for other summer activities. But this Thursday was the opening of the Marias 4 County Fair, and like it or not Sean ( and most of his players) would have to attend. So the game either had to be rescheduled for earlier in the week or postponed until the next week entirely.

Sean had called his friends and fellow gamers and asked them to meet at Bunnee's Burgers for lunch and to discuss their plans for the game and for the fair. Usually they would have met at the converted barn that his father had set up as his sons game studio but it was undergoing some slight modifications and wouldn't be available for a meeting.

Bunnee's burgers was the place to hang out in Shelly, an old fashioned Drive in diner that had originally been called Pat's Diner in the 1950s. When a young man came into town in 1989 and bought the old rundown diner He renamed it Bunnee's and had it renovated and modernized. Lewis 'Bunnee' Richards was eccentric to say the lest and even after thirty years little was known about him other than he got his nickname of Bunnee due to his uncanny resemblance to the former drummer of the rock band Cheap Trick, Bun E Carlos. Some people believe that they are in fact the same person. Bunnee isn't saying. But one thing is for sure he is a master at making burgers. Bunnee pioneered the gourmet burger craze in northern Montana and has over 2 dozen different burger variations on the menu all which he makes from scratch with fresh locally raised beef and produce. Truly a remarkable restaurant and local hang out.

Sean was first to arrive and went inside forgoing the patio table where he usually sat. It was just too hot outside. It was early not quite noon and it was a work day so the place wasn't too crowded. Sean took a seat in a booth near the old Jukebox that actually played vinyl records ordered a root beer float from Max the waitress and waited.

Spoiler

This is an introductory scene. It is summer late July a Monday or Tuesday. School is six weeks away but this week is the county Fair which starts Thursday and goes through Sunday. Those of you who are in the D&D group have been asked by Sean to meet for lunch at Bunnee's to make plans. those charcters not in the group are out and about and should drop in for lunch or a milkshake or a float.  All of you know each other even if not friends from school. This is a rp scene. Other than the oppressive heat and the upcoming fair everthing is just normal small town america. you are free to post I will interact as needed. go for it

Spoiler

This is what Bunnee's looks like

large.260678333_bunnees1.jpg.1cdc00fe95256f07d86cddb01b9f9bcc.jpg

And this is Bunnee when he arrived in '89  DzNk6SDUUAAMlxc.jpg   And today   bunecarlos2013_638.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"One ounce each, max." the lanky teen stated flatly, his face as stony as his tone.  "You're not my only customers and at the moment my supply is limited.  I can go an ounce of tobacco too - the nice mellow shit, air cured, no additives."  He and the two teens he was addressing, soon to be seniors at Shelly High, were currently hanging out across the street from Bunnee's, lounging on a bench as they appeared to speak idly to one another.

“Sure, man.” One of the seniors, a football player called Kieran, nodded agreeably along with his cohort.  “What about the – uh – party favors?”

It might come as a heart-stopping shock to most of those who sorta kinda knew him, but he didn't hate the fair.

Okay, so Jason Bannon disliked the crowds, the people, the disruption, the noise, the people, the livestock fixation and above all the people.  But the stall food was okay, the carnival atmosphere was somewhat contagious, and unlike most of his contemporaries he wouldn't have his arm twisted to attend.  He could leave whenever he wished to - in fact he didn't even really need to go at all.  But it was good for business.  Very good.

“Sorry, man.  I’m out of fireworks.” He said without much of apology in his voice.  Last time he’d sold firecrackers to Kieran, the moron had gotten drunk and high then set them off at a post-game celebration last season, nearly injuring bystanders.  Luckily the team had not shopped Kieran to the faculty or cops, but Jase was in no mood to rely on the high school code of honour.  If someone had gotten hurt, Kieran would have been caught, would have squealed, and then Bannon would be neck deep in shit.

No, he had decided not to sell homemade fireworks any more, which was a pity, as he loved making them.  But those were the breaks.  He sold weed, tobacco and other various ‘consumables’ to the bored youth of Shelly, and that for now was enough of a sideline.

“Leave the money in the dead drop and then check it in two days.” He reminded the two as he stood.  His dead drop system was how he preferred to deal with most of his customer base.  Each small group or individual had a drop around town that was for them and them alone.  Bannon checked the drops regularly to make sure they were still feasible, and made changes if necessary.  A person could leave a note with an order along with the money, or else contact Bannon directly such as these two had done, and then (if the order was accepted) within 48 hours the money would be gone and whatever substance was their vice would be in its place.  He never exchanged money for drugs hand to hand except in the most extreme of circumstances, not since he’d first gotten started.  He’d gotten the idea from reading about spycraft and adapting the scheme, and so far it was working like a charm.  Occasionally he’d get someone who didn’t want to go to such lengths and demanded special treatment, but his response was as unyielding as the bedrock.  He was not going to get caught just because some asshat was impatient or stupid.  He didn’t need customers so badly he’d risk that.

Leaving the two older boys on the bench, he strode across the street with his hands in his pockets, a rangy figure in slightly too-large clothes and tousled dark hair, only looking up from his slouch to ensure he wasn’t going to get hit by traffic, his mouth a thin humourless line under hooded eyes.  He entered the cooler interior of Bunnee’s and glanced around, seeing the familiar mop of red hair seated near the jukebox.

“Sean.”  He said as he slid into the seat across from the gamesmaster, hazel eyes meeting Sean’s before dropping to the menu as he picked it up and studied it.  Sean was used to Bannon-speak by now – this was what other Earthlings would refer to as a ‘casual friendly greeting’.   Jase rarely met someone’s eyes for longer than a glance unless he was angry or studying them like a bug under a microscope, both of which were disquieting.  “One of those for me too.”  He said to Max with a jab of his thumb at Sean’s drink and a glance her way as the waitress came over.  “And a coffee.  And a  blue-cheeseburger with sweet potato fries.”  He gave her a slight smile as he handed her the menu.  “Thanks.”

The howl of the sleek, black Ducati turned more than a few heads as it blazed down the avenue at just the right speed to annoy the hell out of the sheriff but not quite break any laws.  Sheriff Allister was getting into his patrol car right as the Ducati pulled into Bunnee's with two riders.  They pulled into one of the vacant spots only a space away from the sheriff and removed their helmets.  Devin Jauntsen, local rich kid and overall bundle of trouble smiled wide and looked back to his passenger, Tawny, the attractive blonde farm girl who lived a few doors down from him.

"Woo!"  Tawny laughed as she shook her hair out from the helmet.  "We gotta open her up one day on a flat stretch.  See what she can do!"  They both dismounted at about the same time and their laughter stopped as the sheriff approached them both, holding a coffee and a displeased look.  Tawny cleared her throat and looked at him from a lowered head and raised eyes. "...while keeping it under the speed limit, of course.  Mornin' sheriff!"

He offered her a nod and a 'I'm not buying it' grin.  "A little fast there, Devin, don't you think?"

"Thirty five, just like the posted limit," Devin shot back, annoyed that this knuckle drager was wasting his time.

"Looked a little faster than that, Devin,"  Sheriff Allister gave a disappointed look and raised an eyebrow.  Mind, Sheriff Allister no typical sheriff of a small town.  He wasn't the usual short an chunky comic relief one might find in a movie or the bumbling idiot with a coon hound as a partner and a derpy laugh.  Sheriff Allister was a massive six foot two and built like brick shit house.

Devin sighed, annoyed even more.  He set his helmet and Tawny's on the bike and fastened them down so they didn't fall of and get ran over.  All he said was, "Leibowitz Hypothesis."

"I'm sorry, son, what?"  Sheriff Allister leaned in, expecting some smart assed comment from the privileged problem child.

"The Leibowitz Hypothesis.  The normal human visual system tends to underestimate the speed of large objects by 40 percent. The visual task is one of estimating motion in depth. This is done by either estimating the changing angular extent, or motion parallax, relation to stationary objects, and the spatial scale of the detail of the target."  Devin finally looked at the Sheriff, his head off to the side as an indicator that he wanted the conversation to be over with.  "The reverse is also true.  Smaller objects up close tend to be precieved as moving faster than they actually are.  It's called an education, Sheriff.  Had you bothered to get one, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation because you'd be successful and not a sheriff in this shit hole town in the middle of Nowhere, USA.  Now unless you plan on opening an investigation and arresting me or Tawny, I'll remind you that were under no civil obligation to stand here talking to you, so, if you'll excuse us, we're a bit a hungry."

With that Devin simply walked away and Tawny stood with her eyes wide and a look on her face that told the Sheriff 'the views and opinions expressed in this show were not a direct reflection of her or her faculties'.  "Why are you hanging out with him, Tawny?  He's trouble."

"He's a great guy," she shrugged in all honesty.  "I've known him three years and always been decent to me.  I think it's just everyone else he hates, I dunno."  She shrugged.  "Anyway, sorry bout that Sheriff, please try and have a nice day.  It's fair time!"

"You too, Tawny.  Oh, and you're dad was looking for you, about twenty minutes or so ago."  He smiled and tipped his hat politely.

"Yeah, I got his text.  Was on the bike though," she giggled and moved past him.  "Safety first!"

Bunnee's was the bustling hangout in the summer here in Shelly.  It was still early, so most of the adult crowd hadn't quite filtered in, but several of the local teens had already arrived for their obligatory 'burger before the swimming hole' meal.  Several hid their heads as he entered, others were glad to see him, screaming his name like jocks cheering at a game.  He simply grinned and gave them all a suave nod that said: 'I see you, I'm just too cool to give a shit who you are'.  Tawny followed in a moment later and slapped his arm, laughing appearing to scold him that he was going to get them.

Max approached with a smile.  "Heya, Tawny."

"Good morning, ladies."  Devin smiled as he made zero eye contact with her and simply leered at her bosom."

With an expression that told him that she wasn't amused, she continued.  "You tow need a table?"

No," Devin looked at her like she was crazy.  "We just figured maybe you pull us up a carpet and just throw our food all over the floor and we'd just eat it there.  Yes, we want a table, novel idea small town waitress."

"Well, I see you're in a great mood today, Mr. Sunshine," Max didn't let it phase her.  Devin was an ass clown, always would be until someone either kicked the crap out of him, or a meteor fell on him.  She often prayed for either, some days both.  She walked them over to a booth and somehow managed to keep smiling at the puke.  "Daddy take away your trust fund again?  Must be nice."

"Speaking of trust, I wish I could find someone I trust as much as you trust those buttons," he  thumbed at her blouse.  With a roll of her eyes she smirked and slammed the menu into Devin's chest and fell back into the sea with a pleased smile on his face.

The two teens laughed as Max walked off.  Tawny was texting her dad, but they sat there talking about how Devin would one day be murdered by the waitress at Bunnee's and of course Devin hoped it would be by smothering.  When Tawny's expression grew dour he asked her what was wrong she, frustrated, slammed her hand down on the table.  "M'damn damn dad needs me to help him on the ranch for a bit.  I swear, I can't get one day to myself."

"I'll run you home," he offered, not seemingly irritated in the least that she had to go.  "No big.  Do what you have to and we can meet up at the fair later, or I'll come get you again."

Tawny shook her head in irritation.  "Naw, he's coming to get me.  He was over at the feed store, so he said he'd just come by and get me.  I appreciate it though.  I can't keep asking you to drive all over creation to chauffeur me around, it's kinda selfish."

"Tee, it's cool,"  he looked at her, shaking his hand as if to ask her to shake away her thinking like that.  "Really, I like riding and it's no trouble at all.  It's not like I have fuck all else to do in this place.  You're the only person I hang out with, anyway.  Do what you have to, and when you're done just-"

The blaring of a truck horn announced to Tawny that her dad had arrived.  Devin pursed his lips and nodded his head.  Tawny just laughed at his expression.  "I'll text later, kay?  Don't get in trouble, and," she looked over to the booth not far from them where Sean and Bannon were sitting.  "Don't you dare pick on that Cassidy kid, or Jason.  I'm serious, Devin.  Leave them be.  They're good people, got problms of their own and you need to quit adding to them.  See ya at the fair!"  She jumped up and ran out of Bunnee's leaving Devin to sit there and flip through his menu.

Spoiler

Tawny Roberts

Nicola Peltz.jpg

Clara slipped into the diner as Tawney headed out, giving the other girl a distracted hello and goodbye - no one in town could really dislike Tawney. It would be like disliking an entire box of puppies and kittens on Christmas morning. She slid into a booth and started unpacking her shoulder bag: a notebook and several colored pens, the binder with her Plan, her tablet, her phone, and a hair tie. She pulled her hair back into a loose and low ponytail as Max laid down a coffee cup next to her. "Thanks Max," Clara said softly, her eyes not quite on the things in front of her. 

The waitress frowned and asked, "You okay, hun? You're looking down."

Clara flushed and shook her head. "I'm fine, just....planning, y'know?" She forced a smile at the older woman and asked, "My usual, please?"

"Comin' up," Max said, but lingered next to the booth for a moment, before sighing and heading back to put the salad-and-sandwich order in. These kids. Always thinking the world is on them. She glanced over at Devin and rolled her eyes. Or that they're the center of the world. 

Clara's phone buzzed on the table. She looked at it like it was a viper about to strike before finally touching the "Voicemail" button on it, sending the caller's demands away from her for the moment at least. She picked up a pen, uncapping it and chewing nervously on the end as she flipped open her Plan and pretended to have something to do at the moment. 

It was Fair Day and Cassandra's head was humming, hunting headlines. Fair Day...Faraday? God no, super contrived AND obscure. Fair fair...hair? Con-Air, the Nick Cage vehicle? Maybe tucking something obscure in wasn't so bad as long as it didn't HINGE on it though, yeah? Like an easter egg. People loved easter eggs.

Fingers now itching, she spotted Bunnee's and decided that A) it had places to sit with tables she could put her laptop on, and B )  yeah, she hadn't actually eaten yet. Self-care! Hm, care...care...fair care? Enough! Go eat!

As expected the place was pretty busy. Not really any empty tables at the moment, but there were a couple with just one person. Oh goody, she got to pick between Clara and Devin. Well that wasn't really a choice at all, was it?

"Hey Clara, mind if I share-ah?" Cass asked as she got to Clara's booth. "No empties and I really need a table. I promise I'll be...unobtrusive. No interviews, just got some writing to do." She waggled her laptop. "You'll barely even know I'm here. C'mon, don't make me ask Devin."

She gave Clara a dose of the Puppy Dog Reporter's Eyes.

Clara started at Cassie's approach and blinked blankly for a moment, before glancing over at Devin and shaking her head. "No one deserves being stuck with him."

She packed away her Plan - a weird move for the obsessive teen over the random empty notebook - and scooted over her own electronics. She even scooped her large backup battery out from her backpack and laid it on the table so Cassie could plug in if she needed to. Bunnee's had many wonderful things, most of them made of sugar and/or grease, but convenient plug-ins for electronics at the booths was not really one of them. Clara leaned forward as Cassie got herself set up, showing unusual interest in socializing today. "What are you working on?" she asked curiously.

Cassie wasn't one to look a gift-battery in the mouth and plugged in with a grateful smile.

"I've been going around, talking to people about the Fair and any...you know, sort of funny or special memories they have from it. Not necessarily this year, just in general." She shrugged. "Mr Klent suggested some kind of 'fair related piece' and this was the first idea I had."

Her computer chimed as it finished booting up, and Cassandra started tapping on the little mouse-pad and typing.

"So I'm thinking like...'A Fair A Day - Stories from the County Fair..." In mid-sentence, Cassie's eyes fell on the prodigious pile of stuff that Clara had at the table.

"You're loaded up for bear...at the fair..." she commented curiously. "Not here to take in the 'everything fried on a stick' attractions?"

Clara flushed. She'd actually forgotten about the fair. It was never really one of her favorite things, but it was nice and usually an 'off' week for her where she just sorta did whatever with the fair as an excuse not to stick to her usually meticulous schedule. She usually went with her mom and....that stray thought made her expression darken. She shook her head a little more sharply than she intended. "No. I...I don't know if I'm going to go this year."

"You could do a piece on how the fair has changed with each generation?" she offered up, deflecting away from herself. Max strode back with her lunch and Clara did a deft second rearrangement to make room for the bowl and plate. "Like how social media or genetic manipulation has altered what's brought to the fair and how many people show up?"

"Hey, Jase," Sean said cheerfully, setting his phone down beside the tall, thick glass of his float. His fair, more than pretty face already had a faint sheen of sweat. That was probably because he was wearing cargo pants and a red hoodie with the Flash's lightning bolt on the front despite the heat. After taking the menu from Bannon, Max gave Sean an expectant glance, but Sean shook his head. "I'm good with just the float for now, Max, thanks. I'll wait for more of the others to show up before ordering any food. No! Wait, how about a side of fries?"

"'Sure, hun," Max replied, giving Sean and his semi-concealing hoodie an exasperated roll of her eyes. She would have made a comment, but the diner was picking it. "I'll swing by again later."

Max went off to greet some new customers, but when Sean saw that one of those customers was Devin, Sean was definitely one who turned his head away, avoiding eye contact by glancing out the window until he was seated. He didn't need Devin's shit now, especially considering some of his developments during the summer, he was sure junior year would have an extra helping of suck. His big sister leaving Shelly to join the army also didn't help.

He wasn't that fond of crowds and his attendance at the Marias 4 County fair was hit and miss, but he couldn't avoid it this year. His sister Laurie and her pet goat Rascal - Sean usually called him Bastard - were participating in some of the 4-H events, since that was what Laurelei had decided to try this year. The residents of Shelly were used to him by now, but with people from three other counties and almost always someone around to comment, Sean knew he would get a lot of stares.

Being a boy that looked like a girl, and a curvy one at that, wasn't easy. And every time he felt like he was finally adjusting to it, at least to some degree, it seemed like life or the junk code in his DNA came out with a new bug that seemed to think it was a feature. Sean gave a little snort, thinking not for the first time why he even bothered still taking the various supplements and inhibitors - despite Dr. Cook's earnest appeals, Sean wasn't sure they were helping.

The therapy did, though.

Sean shifted and surreptitiously adjusted a bra-strap. He turned from looking out the window, instinctive glancing down to make sure his computer was still pressed between him and the side of the booth, then took a sip of his root-beer float. It was what it was. He didn't have a choice but to deal with it, he just wished others didn't feel the need to make dealing with it that much harder.

"If we end up gaming this week, we're might have to do it someplace else," Sean mentioned to Bannon. "The barn is getting some renos done. So if you want to swipe some wifi, Jase, you'll have to come by the house."

"You could do a piece on how the fair has changed with each generation?" she offered up, deflecting away from herself. Max strode back with her lunch and Clara did a deft second rearrangement to make room for the bowl and plate. "Like how social media or genetic manipulation has altered what's brought to the fair and how many people show up?"

And this here was what you called a conundrum. Because people loved to talk about themselves. No ifs ands or buts. If you gave someone an excuse to talk about themselves, and they declined, there was a reason. And it was probably pretty interesting. Sure, she could be shy, but Cassandra knew Clara well enough to know she wasn't exactly shy. But then again, she was pretty private and didn't have a lot of friends. Maybe she was shy, just really good at papering it over? And now, oh god stop before she starts looking like a jigsaw puzzle. There'd be no going back after that.

"Hey Max, can I get a chicken sandwich? Grilled though, okay? Not fried. And...some fries. And a lemonade. Thanks!"

Cass looked back at Clara and shrugged. "That could be interesting, but kind of heavy for a school paper. It's history and science, and...you know how folks are. People like stories. Anecdotes. Narratives. I think it'd be fun to have something about how big agro is using patented genemodded seeds to basically enslave farmers, but...not really what I'm going for in a fluffy fairtime piece."

Though that WOULD be cool. Gotta jot that down.

She hauled out her phone to open up the notepad app where she'd put shorthand for the answers people had given her on their talks so far, then started typing them up on her computer.

"So, not out here for the fair," Cassandra said as she typed, "What's got Clara Wright out of the house today? Seems like we barely see her outside of school lately."

"I do run every day," she said more sharply than she intended. She sighed and reigned her tone back in, but did add, "And school has been out for weeks. I just needed to be out of the house - away from my parents and Lona. She's just so...." She motioned with her hands, as if trying to wave away her aggravation with the other teen. "Crazy Lona, at this point."

"Also, if Monsanto or whoever owns them now was just looking for slaves, at least the farmers would have something to do. Instead, they get pushed out and the agribussiness bus in underpaid works and use drones to keep an eye on the crops. And don't get me started on the genemodding - it's criminally negligent and stupidly dangerous and...." She put her hands over her face to stop the rant. "Sorry, Papa's a geneticist and not a greedy corporate schill, so he gets wound up on the issue. He's been hired to do wildlife and crop studies several times. Once you're done with the puff piece on the fair, he'd probably be willing to do an interview."

She glanced down at her salad, poking at it without much appetite, then admitted softly. "I'm bored."

Cassandra gave herself just the briefest moment to pat herself on the back. I still got it.

Then she focused in.

"Okay," she said. "how about you get your things together there, and maybe a box for the salad. I'll switch my lunch to go, and we'll get outta here. Because you just gave me, a hell of an idea. But I don't want to interview your dad. No offense, but no one at school cares about your dad."

Cass jabbed her finger at Clara. "You though. You're the voice I need for this. Help me give this 'puff' piece some teeth. I promise, you won't be bored."

2 hours ago, Sean Cassidy said:

"If we end up gaming this week, we're might have to do it someplace else," Sean mentioned to Bannon. "The barn is getting some renos done. So if you want to swipe some wifi, Jase, you'll have to come by the house."

"Hunh."  Bannon grunted softly as he glanced around, tucking himself further into the corner as he grabbed a couple of napkins from the table and a pencil stub from his pocket.  He started doodling on a napkin - straight line diagrams taking shape as he bent his head over the work, then paused and raised his head to regard Sean again.  "So long as your kid sister doesn't pester me." he retorted with a snort.  "Last time I set foot in your house Laurie kept insisting I need a haircut and should totes try out for the track team."

"Yeah.  Thanks for being cool and not, well, you about that."  Sean smiled at the unkempt youth.  "And she didn't really say 'totes'... did she?"

"It was a silent totes."  Bannon replied deadpan as he bent back over his designing.  "Implied rather than stated - thanks Max."  he finished without looking up as a float and a cup of black coffee were plunked down beside him.  The waitress started to angle her head to see what Jason was doing but was rewarded with a hand slapping down over the napkin as the teen took a sip of his float.

"Whatcha doing there?"  Max grinned despite herself - Bannon was a prickly kid with some odd mannerisms, but at least he didn't stare at her bust like Devin (and most of the young male population of Shelly).

"It's a nunovya."  Jase replied, his eyes flicking up to meet hers in his habitual two-second-then-gone eyemeet.  This was basically his version of a good-natured smile, as shown by the faint crinkling of the corners of his eyes.  Max took the hint and threw up her hands.  

"Okay, okay.  I'll be back with your food orders in two shakes, guys."  She swept off, bustling between tables, and Jase bent back to his drawing.

The back of the booth bumped jolting Clara before she could respond to Cassi, and a shadow fell over as Chet Walker leans in over the back of the booth. "Well Clara, darling if your bored you can come to the party after the opening ceremony Thursday." He tosses a half page flyer onto the table and glances at Cassandra, "You can come too I guess after all the more the merrier." He leers at Clara trying to see down her top then laughs. "Invite anyone you want just don't let any parents know okay."

Spoiler

The flyer reads    PARTY PARTY PARTY  ALOE LAKE CAMP GROUNDS  2Ks BYO-whateverelseyouwant Thursday after opening of the Fair (9:30 the cracking of the Ks)

That last few notes of Sam Smith’s Stay With Me rolled off the strings of her guitar as the three people in front of Lona clapped vigorously. One of them whooped, a guy her age with brown skin and a huge Stetson. “Love that song,” he said, ambling forward to drop a dollar in her open guitar case. 

“Thanks,” Lona murmured, smiling shyly at him. 

A woman with gray hair called, “Do you know Why Do Fools Fall in Love?” 

Lona’s frowning; she’d never even heard of that one. “I’m sorry, no.”

“It’s an old song, I figured it was a long shot given your age,” the woman said with a shrug and tapped the man with her on the shoulder. “Come on, we need to check on the sheep.”

“Thanks for listening!” Lona called after them, even as her phone beeped a reminder. Time to go. She smiled at the boy still standing in front of her. “Show’s over, sorry.”

“Are you performing at the fair?” the kid asked. “I’d love to hear more.”

“Yeah, I’ll be performing at five on Thursday on the little stage,” Lona said, keeping her voice neutral despite the lousy time and venue. Most people would be watching the Halsey Sisters performing the same fifteen gospel songs that they’d sang for the last million years. They were a popular fair staple, and being set to perform at the same time as them ensured she’d have a small crowd. 

“I’ll be there,” the kid promised. 

“Awesome! I’ll also be playing on the main course at random spots,” she added, rising and collecting her money. “Any requests - besides my cover of Stay With Me?”

“Something by Blake Shelton? Like God’s Country?”

“I’ll see if I can swing that,” Lona said, wondering if she had time to learn the song between now and Thursday. She’d try - she didn’t want to disappoint her only fan (at least, her only fan who wasn’t friends or family). “See ya Thursday.” 

With her PR done, Lona packed up and started to walk the mile or so to Bunnie’s. It was a long walk to the fairgrounds, but worth it for the income and getting her music out there. There were always people setting up for the fair for days before, and some people even brought their show animals a day or two early so they’d have a chance to settle. Many of the new arrivals appreciated entertainment and without the rides open, most had cash to spare. She’d made enough to pay for her lunch today and cigarettes for a week, plus a bit more. Tomorrow would be another chance to earn even more money; the closer to fair day, the more early-comers would be there.

By the time she stepped foot on the side of Highway 2, she was dripping sweat and already grossed out by herself. Great, didn’t think about the fact you’ll be stinking up the group by walking, did ya? Sucking on her lip ring, she fanned the front of her tank top, wishing she could take it off -- Aw, fuck it. If Cade’s dad nabs me for indecency, at least his car will be air conditioned. She slipped her shirt off around the guitar straps and tucked it into her belt. It didn’t help with the heat too much, but it was one less layer of cloth over her overheated body. Within seconds, she wanted to remove the bra too, but she wasn’t into exhibition. Her underwear wasn’t for public exposure, so she left her jean shorts in place.

Vehicles zoomed by, more than one honking. Lona gamely flipped off the honkers, irritated that she couldn’t walk in peace without commentary from randos. Then one of the honkers pulled over in front of her, and Liam Day leaned out the window, smirking at her. “Hey, Lona, if you want picked up, you know I’m available.”

“How about a ride to Bunnee’s?” she said, wishing that she had kept the shirt on. Liam always came onto her in the worst ways, but his car looked like a welcome refuge after ten minutes of hot asphalt. 

“Sure, if you keep your shirt off,” he leered.

Lona measured the possibly of heat stroke versus the discomfort of Liam’s company and mentally shrugged. Both were kinds of hell, and if he drove her, it’d be over in a matter of minutes. “Gross, Liam,” she said, walking to the passenger side of his old car and wrenching open the door. “Do you have to pay for it, too?”

“Never,” he vowed as she stowed the guitar in the back seat, “it’s against my religion.”

“First Church of Slutism?” she guessed as sank into the car and discovered that the old beater had working air. Liam and his ugly flirting was forgotten as she aimed all the vents in reach at herself. “Jesus, it's hot out there.”

“It’s hot in here, too,” he said, running a finger down her shoulder as the car started forward.

Lona rubbed her forehead and flicked the sweat on her fingers at him. “Hands to yourself, Liam.”

“Don’t you feel like you owe me a little niceness?” he asked plaintively. “A little sweetness?”

“Nope,” she told him, raising an eyebrow so that light glinted off the ring in it. “We’re supposed to be friends, Liam.”

“If you stopped friend-zoning me, I could make you happy,” he told her, sliding around the corner a little too fast. “I’d treat you like my queen.”

It didn’t matter that she’d told him that she didn’t want to date him. He wasn’t going to stop; guys like him never did. So she pulled her shirt out of her belt and put it on. “Liam, I’m going to be clear. Be my friend, or get the fuck out of my life. And you can drop me here.”

Ten minutes later, Lona dragged her sweaty self into the diner. The drop in temperature wasn’t quite as severe as it had been in Liam’s car, but it was still worth a moment to stop and enjoy the chill. She scanned the room, scowling at seeing Clara with her notebooks stacked next to her. Fortunately, her irritating roommate was being distracted by Cassie and Chet, which should be fun for all. She felt a little bad for Cassie, but she wanted to be a journalist so she’d better get used to robo-people and jackasses.

Turning, she slipped over to Sean and Bannon’s booth and dropped her case under the seat. Sitting next to Sean, she fanned herself with napkins and moaned, “I’m here. Please don’t tell me that everyone else has bailed on us. Cause getting heat stroke just to be blown off would suck.”

Clara beamed up at Chet and batted her lashes at him. "Aww, Chet," she said with syrup in her voice, "that's so sweet. But you're a Neanderthal, and I don't socialize outside my own species." 

She dismissed the leering jock from her attention by focusing back on Cassie. "Leaving is starting to seem more and more a good idea. The idiots are circling."

The drive from the base to Shelly usually took about ten minutes, but today Lilly took her time and enjoyed the drive with the windows of her rusty '57 Chevy pickup rolled down and her usual 80's rock and metal cassette tapes (that she had actually pilfered from her dad's stuff in the garage) playing on the tape deck. which one of the few upgrades that was made to the truck even before she bought it. The truck was old, finicky, and needed work, but when it came time for a car to finally get a car, it was the only thing available in the area that still fit into her price range. She did like the lines of it, and could see some potential, but it was far from what she had wanted. Still though, it was her own transportation, which was more than many of the teens in Shelly had, so she tried to not complain and had, in fact, grown a bit attached to the old pickup, temperamental as it could be at times.

It was a warm day and Montana could be incredibly beautiful as the over eight mile stretch from the base to Shelly proved today,, and Lilly was soaking it in, moving at a bit under the speed limit as she sang along with the songs the mediocre sound system was pumping out. Vocal talent was not something Lilly particularly possessed, but it did not stop when she was driving alone, almost making for what she lacked in talent with enthusiasm, like many tens her age. It was a summer, a beautiful day and she did not have much of a care in the world at the moment, aside from memorizing the playbook and figuring out what they were going to do for the D&D game, so she was enjoying it. 

The intersection came up a little faster that she had liked, but Lilly made the turn toward Shelly, still singing along with the music, though she did turn it down... barely. She did not particularly want to be stopped by Sheriff Allister for the volume, but at the same time she figured nothing but a warning would really come of it even if she were, so she had no problem rolling the dice. Besides it was not that loud, she thought.

Still though, she did turn it down a little when she arrived at Charlie's house. He had texted her asking for a ride to the meet-up and Bunnee's, so she had no problem obliging. She pulled up and sat there  for a few moments. She did not honk (the music announced her arrival well enough), and shortly the door opened and Charlie came walking out and hopped in the cab of the truck with her, struggling with the finicky, less used passenger door for a moment before it relented and allowed him entry.

"Hey, wassup?" she asked as he got in.

"Thanks for the ride." Charlie replied, prompting a smile and shrug from Lilly.

"No problem." she replied as the truck pulled away from the curb.

At the end of the street, she turned the music back up and took to singing along again. Her rather good mood was very evident, and something new to Charlie. He knew her, but they were not best of friends or anything, so her knew she was generally good matured. if a bit quite and focused at times. And he had seen her start to let her hair down, so to speak, at the D&D game, but this was new. Lilly was relaxed, smiling, singing along (if one could call it that) to her outdated music, so Charlie just relaxed as well and went along with it. Besides, they would be Bunnee's in just a few minutes.

Lilly's pickup pulled into Bunnee's Burgers with music pouring out of the windows of her truck (though not obnoxiously loud), and parked right next the most noticeable (and likely most expensive) motorcycle in town  She looked at the bike thoughtfully for a moment and shrugged. She was having a good day and even Devin wasn't going to change that. Lilly turned the key, causing the music to fall silent in an instant, and exited the truck for the front door of the diner, pausing for a moment to slips her sunglasses onto her head as she let Charlie catch up.

Lilly entered in time to catch the tail end of the exchange between Chet and Clara, causing her smile as she walked in wear black shorts, blue tanktop and flip-flips.

"Who? Chet? He's harmless." she pipped in dismissively.

"Yeah? I'll show you harmless." he retorted to Lilly, looking toward her.

"Dude, you can't even hit hard enough to make a girl quit. Though it's probably  the only time you will ever on top of one." Lilly noted, shaking her head.

"Yeah... well..." he said, thinking for a moment, "Good thing you're quarterback. Because you love handling balls." Chet said with a sneer, feeling pretty proud of himself.

Lilly nodded and shrugged.

"Yeah. Maybe, but dude, you chase after them, all game, with all of your might, just wanting to get your hands on them." Lilly countered, still smiling as she gave a 'wassup' nod to Clara, her morning jogging buddy, in the booth.

"Yeah.. well.. Pfft.. Whatever..." Chet said, rolling his eyes, trying to dismiss what was said as he got up and walked away toward another booth.

Lilly shook her head with a chuckle, nodding to Clara and Cass before walking over to Sean's booth, sliding in next to Jase and across from Lona.

"So what's up?" she asked, looking to Sean and then to the others as she waited on Max to arrive and take her order. She then noticed Lona's condition with a small bit of surprise.

"Dude. You okay? Did you walk here on a day like today? You could've called me for a ride. I mean, I'm not an uber, but we were all meeting up here anyways, so it's not a big deal." she asked and explained.

"Okay, wow," said Cassandra as she looked after Chet and Lilly. "I need to come here more often. I feel like there's an MTV camera crew just out of my line of sight right now."

She reached down and picked up Chet's party flyer and scanned it over, then shrugged. Might be fun. Chet wouldn't be the only one there, after all. And it was after the first day of the fair so she could even get some 'work' done there maybe. Then again...there might be issues documenting kids at a two-kegger party in terms of social status at school. You walked a delicate line as a reporter.

"Aaaaaaanyway, still want to leave now that Chet's back in his box? I was thinking we could swing by the fairgrounds or something." Cassie paused, then asked, "...you have a car, right?"

Charlie was relieved when the pickup showed up. The fair once upon a time had been full of fond memories in his childhood. The rides, with the merry-go-round, which his mom had thought Charlie looked so adorable riding. The music, full of life and cheer, which he would always sing along to. The food, an invitation to pig out and parental admonishments were half-hearted at best. An annual Cole family tradition.

A cherished memory that was down the drain, thanks to him. Lucius Cole was away at work, catering to some big corporate bigwig event at the Country Club, but had already began making noises about a father-son outing, heedless of Charlie's ever-mounting campaign to shut him out and relentless telepathic edits to go the hell away and never come back. Mom, meanwhile, wasn't sure if she'd be available.

Either way, Charlie needed a ride, and he was relieved that Lilly could swing by and pick him up. Whatever put her in a good mood, he thanked, singing along to the music even if it wasn't his thing. He entered Bunnee's giving a silent apology to Kyle Simpkins. Since his study buddy's family restaurant and Bunnee's were rivals for the burger crown in Shelly, Charlie had tactfully refrained from passing any judgements on the comparative superiority of their burgers.

It was just in time to pick up Lona's complaint. "A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to." Charlie quipped as he walked over and pulled up a chair to the end, so that space was open for Cora and Cade when they arrived.

"You're playing a cleric, dumbass." Lona retorted, albeit without heat - emotional heat anyway.

"My superior Wisdom makes up the difference."

"Ancient Celts supposedly sacrificed the last warrior to arrive for the battle-muster."  Bannon didn't look up from whatever he was drawing as he spoke, his tone conversational.  "Though it's anecdotal, it was said that this not only encouraged promptness in the warriors but also gained the favor of their war-goddess."  He sat up somewhat, taking a swig of his cold coffee as he picked up the napkin and examined his handiwork critically before tucking it carefully into a pocket and glancing at the others, starting with Lona and finishing with Lilly.

"Your point?"  Lilly enquired, trying to read Bannon's deadpan expression.  He had a point, of course.  Bannon never spoke conversationally unless he was making a point, or a pointed comment, or maybe a pointed joke.  He was pointy like that.

"No point.  I also noticed that Chet tends to be late a lot to practice.  And Coraline and Cade are late to this meeting."  he replied calmly, setting down his coffee cup and picking up his root-beer float, hazel eyes regarding the other teens as he drew on the straw, cheeks hollowing.

"We're not sacrificing Coraline or Cade."  Sean said, trying to sound long-suffering whilst fighting the urge to smile as Bannon's eyes widened in mock-surprise.

"Who said anything about sacrificing them?  I was merely imparting two separate pieces of information - one historical and one contemporary."  he said.  "I'm shocked you thought I would suggest sacrificing anyone."

[Lilly]then noticed Lona's condition with a small bit of surprise.

"Dude. You okay? Did you walk here on a day like today? You could've called me for a ride. I mean, I'm not an uber, but we were all meeting up here anyways, so it's not a big deal." she asked and explained.

“I was out by the fairgrounds. I didn’t want to have anyone come all that way just for me,” Lona said, her jaw setting in her mulish way. Since her father died, she’d become prone to declining help from others. She was sure it had something to do with relying on others for so many years, or maybe she was scared she’d end up as reliant as her mother. 

Whatever, she didn’t have time to navel gaze.

“It would’ve helped if some asshole hadn’t stolen my bike,” she added with a growl. “Or if I could afford a car.” 

"We're not sacrificing Coraline or Cade."  Sean said, trying to sound long-suffering whilst fighting the urge to smile as Bannon's eyes widened in mock-surprise.

"Who said anything about sacrificing them?  I was merely imparting two separate pieces of information - one historical and one contemporary."  he said.  "I'm shocked you thought I would suggest sacrificing anyone."

“Sure, because you’d never suggest killing anyone, Future Active Shooter,” Lona retorted, raising an eyebrow and smirking a little. “All you need is a sharp knife and an excuse.”

That was good for a crinkle at the corner of his eyes as they met Lona's.

"Inaccurate.  I would need a really good excuse.  Unfortunately, my moral compass is developed well enough that 'raising the average human IQ by eliminating the drag factor' is not acceptable."  Jase sighed in mock-regret, then looked up as Max brought over his burger and Sean's fries, sliding them expertly into place.

"Can we get two large jugs of ice water... and get the new arrivals whatever they want to drink, please Max."  He gave Lona, Charlie and Lilly that strange two-second eye-meet before dropping his gaze to his food.  "On me, guys.  You get your own food though." he added as he picked up the burger and bit into it, tearing off a huge mouthful and chewing blissfully.

Chet didn't get too much into matching wits with either of the women, although all of the inbreds were being loud enough that Devin could have clearly been involved in all their conversations at once.  He sighed, annoyed that he was still here but hadn't quite built up a reason to leave yet.  Alone at his booth he just tapped the screen on his smartphone browsing his favorite social media, trying to tune out the local mouth breathing drama sponges.

"D," Chet held his arms out to Devin, looking at him like a comrade in arms against the teenagers of Shelly.  "Bruh, you gonna let em' gang up on me like this?  Help a brother out, man?"

Considering Devin had, at one point or another, abused, chastised, emotionally assaulted, sexually harassed, or was just cruel in general to about every person sitting in the restaurant at that current point in time, a few got a bit worried when Chet made a call for reinforcements.  Sean knew the depths of Devin's emotional detachment when it came to making others feel terrible.  Bannon knew that Devin would rather burn this whole city to the ground than spend one more minute there, Clara knew that while she had a Plan, Devin probably had a Manifesto.  He hated Shelly and everyone in it and it was moments like this he cherished and salivated at.  Moments where he could just bring their perfect little worlds crashing down around them and remind all the little people how weak and pathetic they actually were...

Several tensed for the abuse that was about to be visited upon the dining area...

"Chet," Devin never took his eyes away from his phone.  His tone was filled with boredom and lack of caring to an extreme, like a bored prince sitting on his throne when he'd rather be whoring.  "Sit down.  You're an idiot.  You picked a fight you couldn't win, and while your insults make about as much sense as Roid Rager over here," he thumbed to Lilly without acknowledging anyone.  "I mean, 'you chase after them', really?"

He still hadn't looked up from his phone.  He was irritated about something, they could all tell.  Devin never missed an opportunity to destroy any of them, yet here we was just passively blowing them off.  "If you don't want to go to the party... just don't go.  It's that simple.  You don't even have to say anything, simply don't fucking show up.  Look around Clara... no one, will, miss, you.  Put that on your suicide note, and we'll all still try to pretend to cry and act like we didn't see it coming.  You're smart enough to know that if you talk to Chet, he'll talk back, it's what children do.  Chet... you're a moron dude, sit down, drool, look stupid... that's it.  That's your fucking job.  Don't come over to the big brains and start shit, you know you're gonna lose.  Because this is your future, bro.  This town.  Nothing more.  Not a scholarship, not an 'A'... ever, and certainly not fucking my sister so quit hitting her up on Facebook, because she's lost her voice from all the dry heaving your broken English has induced.  And for the record, Dick Snot, 'pretty' is spelled with a 'y', not two fucking 'e's..."

It wasn't often Chet got it from all sides like this, and it was unprecedented for Devin to fire off both barrels on one of his own popular, jock clique friends.  Something was certainly rotten in the state of Den... Montana.  Chet had a made a move for Devin's sister, and everyone knew that there were only a few taboos in Devin's world, one of them was trying to date his twin sister Marissa.  Chet was Devin's radar... that meant some people, like Sean, might be able to breathe easy for a week or so while Devin's rage was focused elsewhere.

"Shit, Devin... uh, look bruh, I was-" Chet tried to stammer out but his babbling was cut short by a very loud snap of Devin's fingers.  He still didn't look up from his phone.  He just cut off Chet and with the same hand he snapped his fingers with he just casually pointed at the bench opposite to him, inviting Chet to have a seat.

Everyone knew what came next: the talk.  The warning.  The one and only time Devin would every tell them to stay away from his sister.  There were rumors (and only rumors, mind) of what he'd done to those who didn't heed that warning.  Some were never seen again, others he sold their organs on the internet, in one instance he punched their soul out of their body... you know how kids talk.  Either way, no one wanted to be in Chet's shoes today, not that anyone could fit in Chet's big ass shoes...

Chet for his part knew that Devin, while not a friend as such was one of 'the guys' and while he would read him the riot act for hitting on Marissa, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it was tedious.He wasn't dumb he just wasn't a fast thinker and yes he did struggle keeping his grades up, but in the end he did keep his grades up and he did it himself because no one else would help him and he didn't have the money some people did to buy his grades. Some time he just got tired of being treated like an idiot, especially by a supposed friend.

Tired and angry.

"Man, you should have backed me here," he began with a lowered voice before Devin could get started. "Your supposed to be one of us, one of the guys and  we have each others back in this town. This kind of bullshit and your rich kid better than everyone else act is why you don't have any friends. Yeah I probably will never leave this town, but you will, and just like before you and your sister got here and we were all fine without you, after you leave to go be rich somewhere else, we will still be doing fine here, and you know what you won't even be a memory." Chet slides out of the booth and plants his hands on the table and leans in close to Devin, "As for your sister everyone hits on her, I just didn't get lucky."

Sean nodded his thanks to Max, then tried a pair of fries. He pursed his lips for a moment, then added some salt and vinegar instead of profaning them with ketchup. He tried a couple more and nodded in satisfaction. "Mmm, better. Most of us are here, Cade and Coraline aren't, and I'm getting hungry, so I'm ordering. My usual burger, Max, please."

"Sure thing, hun," Max replied, jotting it down on a note pad. "And can I get something for the rest of you?"

While his gaming group were making their wants known,  a small grin twitched at Sean's lips as he leaned forward to looked around them. He couldn't quite make out what Devin was saying, but his tone clearly said he was eviscerating Chet, and Sean was pleased - and maybe just a bit relieved - to see one of the biggest banes of his existence cutting down one of the smaller banes of his existence, while leaving him alone. If only Junior year could go by the same way. Senior Year too, as long as I'm making wishes...

Sean almost knocked over his float, just catching the tall glass at the last instant before it tipped over, his pale cheeks flushing in embarrassment. He finished it, using a spoon to get the last of the ice cream, then poured himself a glass of water as a cover to circumspectly wipe his face with the sleeve of his hoodie.

"I hear you about the bike, Lona," Sean said as Max went off to place their orders, an expression of wry commiseration crossing his face. He hadn't had a bike stolen, but it had been sabotaged more than once, and he was saving for a vehicle too. "And about car. With Teagan off in the army, I can probably loan you her bike, if you want?"

Sean gave the others a small wave in greeting "Thanks for showing up guys, thought it would be more fun and productive to get together instead of passing emails and text back and forth. Most of us are here, so--" Sean glanced down when his phone chimed, and read the text. "So, Cade and Coraline are running a bit late, but they can catch up. I wanted to talk about gaming. I think most of us have obligations with the Fair, so we have to move gaming night from Thursday, or decide to skip gaming for a week. And the barn is getting a bit of reno work done, so might need to game someplace else if we do, unless we wait 'til Wednesday next week, maybe Tuesday. Thoughts?"

Cade knew they were already running late, thanks to a text from Cora he'd gotten just abit ago.  He shot along a quick text to Sean, both apologizing and stating that they were going to be there soon.   While he knew most already had met Coraline, this was gonna be the first time she'd be joining as a member of their RPG group.  They'd both spoken with Sean already and there was a perfect place to add in a new character in the next session, so it was just working out well.  Still, Cade had run later than expected, helping Mr. Bancroft that morning, he'd wanted some extra trimwork done on his yard, which was abit more fiddly than normal.  Still, it paid well, and with the fair coming up, it was a good move to earn a little extra money.     He'd gone home and showered, getting cleaned up  and got the message from Coraline.

She was running late, thanks to her parents, and he chuckled.  "Nothing ever goes as planned, does it?"  he mused softly, and went ahead and got in his Jeep, driving over to Coraline's home.   He'd met her parents before at the same Law Enforcement Charity dinner where he'd first met Coraline and more than once, They'd come over for Dinner.   He pulled up into the driveway and got out, making his way to the front door, and ringing the doorbell.

Charlie flashed Bannon a surprised but thankful look when Bannon covered the drinks. "Just lemonade." He told Max when it was his turn to order. No food, he wasn't feeling very hungry. And meanwhile, two unpleasant existences of high school were busy tearing into each other. Charlie would have enjoyed the show when Sean interrupted. "If we can make it work this week without waiting, I'd prefer that please."

Being able to invoke fictional gods and roll dice at someone else's place was far better than sitting in your own, feeling the lingering weight of a broken family on you.

Sara had spent most of the morning cleaning the trailer she lived in with her mom. Usually she kept it in pretty decent order, but she had crashed at her dads place the last couple of night while she did some catch up work on some of her dads’ regular customers cars. Her dad was still in North Dakota working and probably would be the rest of the summer, and while she couldn’t run the towing jobs because of state law, she could at least do some of his mechanics jobs which put needed cash in her pockets. While she had been doing that her mom had pretty much neglected doing anything other than run around town and avoid any semblance of doing anything that wasn’t about her and feeling good. Thus, when Sara had gotten home early that morning, the place had been a wreck, her mom had been passed out in her bedroom, and she had tensed her jaw and set about cleaning house. All that was left was to vacuum the rug and with mom still asleep she would have to put that off. She was hungry having skipped breakfast and when she checked the fridge found it empty of everything but beer and budget cola.

Well she had cash so she could go to Bunnee’s and get a good lunch then to the grocery store after. It was nice to not have to walk or rely on her mom to drive her places, she mused as she climbed into her dad’s ’05 Ford F550 wrecker. She might not be able to tow another car legally, but she could still drive the old beast.

She pulled into the spot next to the slick black Ducatti, it seemed that everyone else was careful to park away from it so as not to scratch the alien looking machine but she knew to whom it belonged, everyone did, really,  after all he went to great pains to make sure they knew. Still it was a beautiful bike and even though she preferred Harley's like her dads, she recognized that her feelings were emotionally bias and not qualitative. She stopped to admire it after dropping from the trucks cab before heading in to the diner.

The cool air and smell of grilling burgers filled her senses as she came through the double doors it was busier than she thought it would have been and she saw that a lot of the business were kids she went to school with, the only ones she really knew were Sean Cassidy, Charlie Cole and Chet Walker all whom she had known since preschool. She didn’t wave at any of them nor did she walk over and say hi. She wasn’t friends with them. She wasn’t Friends with anybody. As she made her way to the lunch counter to place her order she kept an eye on Chet who was leaning over the table at the booth the owner of the Ducatti, Devin Jauntson, was sitting at.

15 hours ago, Avalon Wilson said:

“I was out by the fairgrounds. I didn’t want to have anyone come all that way just for me,” Lona said, her jaw setting in her mulish way. Since her father died, she’d become prone to declining help from others. She was sure it had something to do with relying on others for so many years, or maybe she was scared she’d end up as reliant as her mother. 

Whatever, she didn’t have time to navel gaze.

“It would’ve helped if some asshole hadn’t stolen my bike,” she added with a growl. “Or if I could afford a car.” 

"The fairgrounds? Dude, that's all the more reason to call for a ride. I'm not an Uber, but there's no reason to have to walk all the way back from the fairground, especially when it's this hot. I would have come and got you. That's a no brainer." Lilly explained to Lona as she glanced over at Chet taking a seat at Devin's booth and rolled her eyes.

"And sorry about your bike. But on the otherhand, this is Shelly. So, like, you are bound to see somebody with it and then you can sick the Sheriff on'em. It'll give him something to do." she said, trying to end with a joke and a smile.

"Seriously though, if you need a ride like that again, just call. I know how it sucks not having a car and having to bike or walk everywhere. I mean, I just got that truck. It was the only thing available around here in my price range and I could only barely afford it. We are some broke ass teenagers, and that is just the way of things. I mean, sitting over there is proof that money doesn't make you happy." she said with a slightly, sideways tilt of her head toward Devin.

Lilly paused as Max came over and Jase offered to get their drinks. It was a little unusual for him to do so, at least from what Lilly knew about him thus far, but he did not seem to be a bad guy. Unmotivated, maybe, but not an ass like Devin. She knew he sold certain recreational aids on the side, and though they were not her thing, she did not care much either as it was nothing too serious or dangerous. Besides, teens would find what they wanted somewhere, and at least Jase was smart about it.

"I'll take a..." Lilly paused for a moment considering her options. She was watching her diet so that she could cheat a bit at the far in a few days, but she also did not want to turn down Jase's act of generosity. Small steps like this were how friendships were built after all. "..a root beer float, and the grilled chicken salad. No dressing."

"You got it." Max replied, taking down the order while Lilly gave Jase a nudge with her elbow.

"Thanks man." she said with a casual sincerity.

"Well, I think my place is out of the running. I might be able to talk Mr. Burr into unlocking a room at the school for us to use, but that is a big maybe and kinda pushing it." she suggested as she noted Sara's arrival, considering her for a moment.

3 hours ago, Cade said:

Cade knew they were already running late, thanks to a text from Cora he'd gotten just abit ago.  He shot along a quick text to Sean, both apologizing and stating that they were going to be there soon.   While he knew most already had met Coraline, this was gonna be the first time she'd be joining as a member of their RPG group.  They'd both spoken with Sean already and there was a perfect place to add in a new character in the next session, so it was just working out well.  Still, Cade had run later than expected, helping Mr. Bancroft that morning, he'd wanted some extra trimwork done on his yard, which was abit more fiddly than normal.  Still, it paid well, and with the fair coming up, it was a good move to earn a little extra money.     He'd gone home and showered, getting cleaned up  and got the message from Coraline.

She was running late, thanks to her parents, and he chuckled.  "Nothing ever goes as planned, does it?"  he mused softly, and went ahead and got in his Jeep, driving over to Coraline's home.   He'd met her parents before at the same Law Enforcement Charity dinner where he'd first met Coraline and more than once, They'd come over for Dinner.   He pulled up into the driveway and got out, making his way to the front door, and ringing the doorbell.

Late. Late late late late. Just what she needed today.

Coraline Hess frantically ran a brush through her hair, getting it back to being just so, checking out her reflection critically to make sure she hadn't missed something obvious. Discipline and care and preparation were the key to doing well at, well, anything, but she just didn't have the extra time to spend. Which meant she was making mistakes. And those mistakes would lead to other mistakes which would end up in the rumor mill and circulating forever and always. Late. Late late late. Just what...

She could almost feel the loop start to rev again, hear the chastisement from her teachers as they noticed she was freaking out and forced herself to... Stop. Just stop. Okay. So Mom's detour to see a man about a literal horse hit on the same day as her first time with Sean's game. And she was sure she had messed up something on her sheet that was obvious. But these guys were chill. Anyway. The tall brunette put down the brush and just looked in the mirror. Tasteful hint of make up? Check. Cute yellow-and-black sundress? Check. Grey leggings with matching shoes downstairs by the door? Check. Deodorant, teeth brushed, hair combed? Check times three. Okay. She looked good. She was good. This would *be* good.

No. It would be... Fun. Cade had told her enough stories that she'd give a shot, at least till school started and she added club time and homework time to gym time and practice time and family time and Lear time. Simmer. Focus. Be the leaf and let the storm flow over her. She closed her eyes and sucked in a deep breath.

When she opened them again, she could smile at her reflection again. Just in time, too, as she could hear the doorbell ringing, and counted her lucky stars that her Dad was still out. Cade didn't need the Speech. Nothing the Speech worthy was happening tonight.

Coraline grabbed a folder and her purse from her bedside table enroute out of the room and down the stairs at a quick enough pace she could hopefully beat her Mom to the door. She didn't quite make it, almost bumping into the older, tinier woman in the entryway. Kim Hess smiled knowingly at her only child, "In too much of a hurry to let me say hello to your friend?"

"No! Mom, it's just... We were supposed to be there earlier and tonight's the wrong night for this anyway, and I want to make a..," Coraline flushed, getting cut off by the doorbell ringing again, "I should really get that. It's rude to make him wait."

"It is," her mother agreed, "Well. Call if you'll be home after curfew. And stay out of trouble."

Coraline smiled back gratefully and walked to the door, opening it and smoothly stepped through, her turn to look up at someone. "Hope I didn't make you any later than you were running already," she commented softly to Cade, continuing over her shoulder as she locked the door, quickly used the glass of the window to triple check that a strand of hair hadn't gone rogue on her, "I can ask my stupid dnd questions in the car. So we're not even more late."

7 hours ago, WS ST said:

"Man, you should have backed me here," he began with a lowered voice before Devin could get started. "Your supposed to be one of us, one of the guys and  we have each others back in this town. This kind of bullshit and your rich kid better than everyone else act is why you don't have any friends. Yeah I probably will never leave this town, but you will, and just like before you and your sister got here and we were all fine without you, after you leave to go be rich somewhere else, we will still be doing fine here, and you know what you won't even be a memory." Chet slides out of the booth and plants his hands on the table and leans in close to Devin, "As for your sister everyone hits on her, I just didn't get lucky."

Like most others Chet made the error of assuming his words, or himself, mattered to Devin.  He didn't.  As Chet spoke, Devin never once looked away from his smartphone as he listened and broke down what Chet had said to him.  Okay, if I have no friends and no one likes me, why on Earth do you think I should 'have your back'?

Then, unfortunately, the lummox made the fatal mistake of saying something about Marissa that could easily have construed as him calling her 'easy' or a slut.  Whether or not he intended it that way was not the issue... after all, perception was reality and very few things escaped Devin's notice, which allowed him to shape his own twisted reality of blaming everyone, everywhere, for a world of misery he could walk away from any time he wanted...

"As for your sister?  Everyone hits on her, I just didn't get lucky."

Devin looked up from his phone, his eyes angled in up in a serial killer glare that said while Chet currently held the high ground, he was seriously underestimating Devin's power.  Like all teenagers Devin was now faced with a myriad of possible choices as to how he could handle the rather tense situation Chet had introduced.  He could simply weather the slings and arrows of the big guys harsh words and resiliently allow them to not damage his calm.  Or, with a few well placed words of his own Devin could diffuse the situation with finesse and aplomb.  There was also a third way but no well adjusted person every really chose...

Devin moved like a striking snake.  Swift, lethal and deadly.  He tossed his smartphone to Chet and as the large guy reflexively went to catch it, he let his gaurd down and caught a fist clean to the center of his face.

Okay... so Devin chose the third option.  Force.  It was always force with him... anger, violence, conflict... these were his tools against a county, population and family life he couldn't stand.

On any given day, Chet probably could have taken Devin in a square one on one, but Devin wasn't playing fair.  The first punch knocked Chet so far back he lost balance and fell backwards.  Devin's phone slid wildly across the floor of Bunnee's and slammed into the side someone's foot at Sean's table.  Chet didn't have time to recover before Devin was standing over him, pulling his shirt and bringing the big dumb guy towards him for two more heavy blows to the face...

"Talk that shit now!"  He yelled after slamming Chet in the face a second time.  "Call her a slut again, bitch!"

Spoiler

Now, probably not the healthiest way to start off the game, I know... but Devin worked at Bunnee's and we never really deduced why.  So I got to thinking, if he got into trouble there, in order to get out of it, he might have to work there.  As a way of apologizing to Bunnee for disrespecting his business, as a rich kid to 'learn the value of an earned dollar' and to give him a reason to interact with other players as they move through on his shifts.

Also, I left it open so the fight is on and over with before other people have a chance to do things (like move, react, break it up, record it for YouTube, etc...

As the scene is now, Devin is standing over Chet, holding there guys shirt and hoisting him up so he can punch him in the face.  He's already landed two blows because no one, despite how cool you think your character is, would have their shit together in time to stop this thing from happening before it started or someone was hurt.

Also, I know it's shitty to use an NPC s a punching bag... so Devin is on chopping block for Chet to get a good ass whoopin in on him later.  When the fight is a bit more fair.  We gotta take what we give.

Devin's Phone: I intentionally let it slide to the other PCs table.  This gives someone at that table a reason to approach him and possibly talk with him (see how this works?) in an attempt to return it.  Who that person is I'm leaving up to you guys to figure out.

"With Teagan off in the army, I can probably loan you her bike, if you want?"

Lona smirked. "Maybe you should talk to her before offering her bike, but I appreciate the thought."

Sean nodded. "Of course I'll ask her.  I can text right now if you want to use it."

Lona hesitated then nodded. "That'd be nice. I'll buy a better bike lock this time, too."

"So, like, you are bound to see somebody with it and then you can sick the Sheriff on'em. It'll give him something to do." she said, trying to end with a joke and a smile.

"Seriously though, if you need a ride like that again, just call."

"I've been looking but I think what it was may have taken it somewhere else and sold it. Better than being nabbed by the sheriff. But thanks, I'll keep your offer of a ride in mind. Lisa dropped me off this morning, but she's at work." Lona glanced across the room toward Clara. Once, getting a ride would have been as easy as asking her roommate for it, but that was before Clara had revealed herself to be a simulation of a human being. "Tomorrow… I don't know when I'll be heading out again. But if I need a ride--"

Her phone beeped and she took a quick glance at the preview of the text from her mom: Let me know when you need picked up, sweetheart. It's too hot to walk. 

"I'll call, Lilly," she finished, glaring at her phone. Too little, too late. That had been Mom's way of life since Dad had died. Angrily, she swiped away the notification, looking up just to meet Max's expectant gaze. "Oh, uh… can I get a buffalo burger and fries with a side of ranch dressing, and a M&M double-chocolate shake?" Max made a playful face at her order but jotted it down.

Listening to the others discuss the problem, Lona sighed and offered, "We could use my place. We'll just have to put up with Clara stomping around and we can't use the main house, but the living space in our pool house is big enough." Warming to the idea, she added, "We even have a project tabl--"

Sudden violence cut her short, even as something skittered across the floor and bounced off her foot. Frozen in shock, Lona could only stare as Devin attacked Chet. She was so startled that she even forgot to cheer -- not that she was sure who she'd be rooting to win anyway. 

Only having been paying half-attention to the goings-on over by Devin, Cassandra was taken completely by surprise when things suddenly exploded. Her first reaction was disbelief...weren't those two friends or something? And then a sudden stab of panic. She was missing it!

She scrabbled in her pocket for her phone, then quickly swiveled in her seat as she jabbed the camera app and held the device up to capture a video of the proceedings.

The sound and motion grabbed Lilly's attention away from Sara as she considered inquiring about some small repairs and possibly even some minor restoration to her truck. She stared at Devin and Chet for a moment in shock and surprise as Devin hovered over Chet.

"Talk that shit now!"  Devin yelled down at Chet after socking him in the face a second time.  "Call her a slut again, bitch!"

In all the time she had know of both Devin and Chet, neither had ever really shown that they were prone to fits of such naked violence. Some shoving, elbowing and minor slapping and such maybe, but nothing as raw as this. Chet was on the ground, getting his face pounded, and if it continued, he could come to serious harm if his head hit the ground multiple times.

"Damnit!" Lilly growled and slips out of the booth as fast as she could, though the bare skin of her legs sticking to the vinyl, or whatever it was, covered the booth cushions certainly did not make it a pleasant experience.

"Let him go!" she barked at Devin as she charged at him, though he didn't seem to hear a word of it. Hius whole world was focused on Chet's face right now, he seething anger blocking out everything that might distract from Chet's animation.

Lilly dropped low and grabbed somewhat clumsily at Devin's hand by the wrist as his fist reared back for another blow and wrenched it back and down as she moved behind him, taking his back like Coach Meyers had taught had many wrestling practices. Her other arm shot out over his other shoulder and fumbled for Devin's other arm, trying to lock it up as she shifted her hips to gain leverage on Devin.

To her surprise, Devin was a bit stronger than he looked, or maybe it was just the adrenaline (or a sense of balance honed from years of top tier gymnastics), but her was much more difficult to get Devin to the ground that she had anticipated, making the takedown awkward and clumsy though it did succeeded it wrenching him away from Chet, though she knocked the leg of a chair with the back of her head, causing it to topple over while she winced at the pain throbbing through the back of her head.

"Stop it, dude!" she barked again, closing her eyes and turning her face away in case he tried to hit, scratch or poke her in the face or eyes. She was determined to hold him until he calmed down and understood that it was unlikely to come without a cost.

Devin hit Chet the first time and it hurt but it was actually the only punch that Chet felt. The blow had been at an upward angle driven not only by the force of Devin's arm and shoulder but also by the fact that Devin was rising being propelled by his legs which lent incredible force to the blow. The impact of Devin's fist was extreme to say the least. If this had been an action movie Chet would be dead the splinters of bone driven into his brain, because that is what it looked like. But life isn't an action movie and while the blow did break Chet's nose it also cause him to lose consciousnesses immediately which cause his body to begin to fall. The fall was stopped by Devin as he grabbed his victim but the following blows while cause massive bruising and gave Chet a sprained neck did no further serious damage.

Devin was in a blind rage but at the same time a part of him was was well aware of what was happening as if he were an observer watching over his shoulder as he pummeled Chet.  Devin was aware of the room the smells the feel of the shock of his fist striking Chet's face and that shock traveling back up his arm. His universe was Him and Chet everything else was moving around them. The floor was the ceiling, the ceiling the walls, the walls were the sky. He saw clearly as Lilly seemed to fly from her seat to grab him pulling him off Chet, which wasn't possible since she wasn't in his line of sight as they fell back Devin saw the people, the kids he went to school with, all looking at him. Everyone of them had their attention on him and the violence. The rest of the patrons and employees were just becoming aware of the disturbance, were just starting to turn towards them. Devin looked into the eyes of each and everyone of the kids who were looking at him.

Devin's world went dark.

1 hour ago, Lilly Pryor said:

"Stop it, dude!" she barked again, closing her eyes and turning her face away in case he tried to hit, scratch or poke her in the face or eyes. She was determined to hold him until he calmed down and understood that it was unlikely to come without a cost.

Lilly's head hurt but she held Devin there was a scream from across the room, a commotion began. She waited for Devin to react to struggle but he didn't all she felt was him shaking. She twisted to look at him their faces inches apart. His teeth clenched his eyes open staring at nothing.

He was having a seizure.

Spoiler

Devin is in Lilly's arms having a seizure. Chet is lying on the floor blood from his nose pour across his face which is already swelling. He is unconscious. it has been only seconds non of the adults have reacted they are still processing what they are seeing. did I mention Devin is having a seizure and Chet may drown in the blood from his nose. All yours

"Shit!" Lilly cursed aloud without thinking as she could see something was wrong with Devin.

Her hurried, panicked mind tried to recognize the symptoms. Trembling. Unresponsive. Muscles tensing. A seizure! He was having a seizure. What do you do when somebody is having a seizure, she tried to recall, her mind a big foggy from the pain throbbing through her head mixed with the excitement and adrenaline. Wait. That's it! 

Lilly shifted, releasing Devin and rolling him onto his side, resting a hand on his shoulder to hold him there, though she did not try to restrain him. With her free hand she pushed at the chair she had hit with her head, flinging it away clumsily, trying to clear space around him.

"Somebody call 911! And move these tables and chairs away. I got this one, so somebody see to Chet!" she barked out commands at the other teens, onlookers and new arrivals.

She could feel Devin trembling as she held him on his side, concern was clearly painted across her face as her gaze shifted between him and Chet, worried for the pair. They were bullies and annoying, to be sure, but she did not want to see any real harm, much less death, come to anybody...

"Jesus Christ!" Charlie yelped as Devin went from asshole to psycho in five seconds flat. Then Lilly grabbed him and Devin started collapsing, but Chet was out cold with a broken nose. Lilly was handling Devin, so Charlie took her call and saw to Chet. With a look at the others telling them to join in, he grabbed Chet and began to lift and move his body to a sitting position so he didn't drown from the blood in his nose, before grabbing napkins to staunch the bleeding.

Lona scrambled out of the booth and joined Charlie in positioning Chet, but her eyes kept going back to Devin. His throes were too familiar to her and she had trouble focusing on the guy she was supposed to be helping. Around her, she wad aware of kids moving chairs and Clara's shaking voice telling someone what was happening. 911, she called 911, just like Mom had. 

It hadn't been Lilly holding Dad, it had been Gerault and Lisa. For a second, she was there again -- Mom's panicked voice over the phone, while Getault and Lisa had been talking to Dad in soothing voices. The smell of medicine and sickness, the muggy heat of the room pressing close, her father spasming in his hospital bed, but worst of all the sick helplessness knotting up her gut--

"Lona!" Charlie looked like he'd said her name a few times. "You look… Hey, I've got Chet, maybe you should go sit down?"

Chet, not Dad. "Yeah, that's a good idea." Somehow, she found her seat again through tears,. When did I start crying? 

Her foot hit something under the table and she seized on the distraction. With everyone else watching the drama in the center of the room, Lona leaned under the table, fishing for the object. Her fingers closed over a familiar shape and she pulled out a sleek phone. Her finger brushed over the immaculate screen and an image of Devin and Tawny popped up. 

Oh, shit.

Cassandra was way past shocked as she saw how everything was spiraling out of control. Her skin felt cold, and she almost dropped her phone.

Her phone. Shit!

She fumbled with the devices for a second as she turned it around in her hands and dialed 911, not even turning off the camera as she did so.

"I'm...I'm calling from Bunnee's," she said when dispatch picked up. Her voice sounded almost alien in her ears, too calm. That wasn't how she was feeling at all.

"There was a fight...one of the kids has...he has blood all over his face. And the other one's having a fit, and they're both knocked out and we really need help. Please."

Dispatch asked something. It didn't really pierce the haze, but something in her must have understood because then she said, "Yeah, the diner. There's some people trying to help them, but...there's a lot of blood. A lot. No, it was just...one kind, Devin, punched Chet in the face. No knives or...anything like that. Just punched."

Dimly Cass was aware she was breathing harder and harder, as the voice on the other end of the phone urged her to stay calm, and assured her help was on the way. The room felt like it was getting blurry, and when she wiped at her eyes, her arm came away wet.

"Oh my god," she muttered. "Oh my god."

Then she looked back at Clara and realized the other girl had her phone out too. Well, maybe two calls were better than one? Like mashing an elevator button?

He'd dropped the half-eaten burger as soon as Lilly had moved to tackle Devin, starting to rise.  Lilly was part of his group, and if either Devin or Chet lashed out at her Bannon would be testing the limits of his own close combat skills.  Which admittedly were meager, but like Devin he wasn't concerned with niceties or, for that matter, proportionate response. His gaze fell on a fire extinguisher near the side exit...

And then Devin started flailing and spasming, and the situation turned more serious than just a brawl between one moron and one idiot.  Chet wasn't moving either, blood streaming from his nose, and Bannon froze for a second.  He should get out of there...  This wasn't his business... And the cops could use this opportunity to bust his balls...  fuck.

He slid out of the booth and moved to where Lilly was cradling Devin, pushing the nearest table back, then clearing away the fallen chairs with quick, economical movements.  Turning to her, he gave the back of her head a cursory glance, checking for blood as he spoke in a level tone.

"Cushion his head on something soft." he advised calmly, almost coldly.  Seeing no blood on Lilly's scalp, he glanced at Sean, snapping his fingers at him and pointing.  "Sean, get that hoodie off and get over here.  Pillow his head on it on your lap.  Speak calmly to him if you can, say nothing if you can't.  And keep your hands away from his mouth."

With that he half walked, half skidded to where Chet was being tended by Charlie.  Dropping to one knee, he scrutinised Chet's bloody mask of a face, trying to determine if there was any large amount of clear fluid amongst the blood as he leaned close, trying to listen to the athlete's breathing.  Satisfied, he nodded at Charlie. 

"Let's get him leaned as much forward as possible.  Pinch his nostrils closed - that'll stop blood backing up in his airways."  He helped Charlie move Chet into position and handed him fresh napkins.

• Nina locked this topic

Archived