AWS S2 EP04 - The Ordinary World

WS ST

"If by 'anything' you're including your phone number on that list, then yeah... phone number, I want the phone number."  He smiled and looked about once more to collect himself.  His body had regenerated all the skin around his muscles but he was still a bit thin and sallow.  He looked a man on the brink of malnourished, yet he wasn't hungry, just weary, like a man who'd ran a marathon and then decided to run another one.  He winced as he tried to push himself up in the bed, "Ow, maybe a pudding cup?"

"Careful there, Romeo," his attendant smiled, mildly amused by his clumsy attempt at getting a date.

"You, uh, said there were tests," Mikey inquired as he turned his head left and right to look at how sunken his face had become.  "What happened?"

She leaned in and turned his head towards her and looked into his eyes.  "Well," she tested his visual acuity with a little light.  "Near as we can tell, you... burned to hot, Michael.  Your powers hit an apex.  The temperature you rose to, well, we don't proper containment for an individual that hot, that's as plain as I can say it.  The strain on your node, however, loosened the protection it provides you from your own gifts.  Basically, Michael, you started burning yourself as fuel.  Your body fat went first, then it began working it's way back, starting at your epidermis and had you not been put out we don't know where, or if it would have stopped."

"What caused it?"  He asked, looking visibly distressed.  These powers were supposed to be awesome, not kill him.

She placed the small light away, clipping it near her belt do-hicky.  "Near as we can tell, you lost control when you were under a sudden and abrupt bout of shock.  Namely, seeing aliens for the first time."

His head dropped back heavily into the comfortable pillow.  "Oh, yeah.  Huh.  I didn't hurt anyone, did I?"

"No, Michael.  No one hurt, and your body is recovering quickly.  Everything will be fine, just give it a little more time."

"Are you an alien?  Because you're hot for an alien."  He grinned like a five year old.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Abel nodded once, and produced a business card which the Chief took.   They exchanged polite bows, and Abel turned away, returning to where the Irregulars were.   

Sorry Lilly, I didn't mean to sound like I was ordering anything.  It is moot, as they do not want our help.  As they've effectively said no to us helping now, we should all be going,   The media circus is going into overdrive.  He answered Lilly via Guildchat.  

Privately he sent t Sean.  Tell me you have a sample, They are going to take the case and pretty much told us to shove off.  I'm hoping we have a sample to examine.   She heard him pause, as if steeling himself to ask his next question.

Do you think I should scan the bomber's mind before we go?   Essentially he was asking permission to sift the man's memories and learn what he could, in the event that something happened and they couldn't speak to him for whatever reason.

Sean bowed back to the Security Chief and handed over her own card to him. "As you wish. I would be most honored to consult again if any trouble or damage is found in the National Transportal Network," Sean replied in flawless, smooth Japanese, her tone pilot and encouraging. She had consulted heavily with the design and technical details of Portal Network. "And I hope that if your investigation reveals anything that could be a danger or concern to other nations, you will be willing to share it with them, and with us. The nations of Earth are not just a global community, we are now part of a galactic one as well, and many issues transcend borders."

<I can imagine what temptation telepathy must be, Abel,> Sean replied to her friend. She had managed to keep her own expression placid instead of savage when the Japanese authorities came to claim the suicide vest and the suicide bomber, her intense curiosity and confidence in her ability wanting to retain them. <Perhaps settle for a light touch, if you can, to determine if the bomber was mentally compelled or directed to act, without delving deeper for specifics?>

Sean waggled her fingers at Abel, making the elegantly spartan silvery rings her nano-multitool appeared as to flash. <And yes, I did collect a tiny sample. Enough to study, if not much more than that.>

She sighed, rejoining the Irregulars and former Irregulars. While she didn't completely disagree with Devin's assertion about species classification between Keys and Humans, she did take issue with how he saw one exploiting the other. It was happening to be sure, in one direction, and in the other, but not on the grand scale Devin implied.

In her mind, Sean began assembling conceptual models of what the outcome could have been with the attack on the Transportal Network, at various success rates, and then started working backwards, to determine who may have been behind the attack, with what little information she could collate. A faint frown graced her lips. Considering the unusual chemical explosive, she would have to compare it with the exotic rifle Jeane had retrieved from the event in New York, to look for any hint of similarity in design principles, something in the propellant, however remote. Coincidence was possible, but just as likely, it could be an illusion.

"How would you feel about all this destruction and potential anarchy, Devin, if it wasn't perpetrated purely by non-Keys?" Sean asked the irrepressible purple-enrobed Key. "Because I have a strong suspicion it isn't so simple as a human-on-human battle royale. There's something more behind it, I believe."

She gave Devin a direct look, with the tiniest hint of sympathy to it. "And sometime, if you can find some spare time between the couch cushions, can I talk with you about Laurie? And you, too, Lilly?" She nodded at the Vanguard at Devin's side. Her lips twisted in a wry grin. "Despite any blonde moments I may have, I can read between the lines of what isn't said. Laurie doesn't hate you as much as she wants you to think, Devin, or how much Haagen Daz she scarfs down."

<Sara, we're being dismissed and heading home soon. The Japanese authorities want to look after this on their own,> Sean sent to her airborn girlfriend. <You notice anything odd on your quick scouting tour?>

'Bet you 20 bucks he has a very short list of names with our big bad on it,' Jeane commented drily over the link, crossing her arms under her breasts as the ever-so-polite dismissal unfolded, smile kept in place by the promise of sneaky shenanigans. It was a very thin line of support though, an unpleasant stream of thought putting together what she was seeing into a mystery she liked even less than teleporting snipers and super TNT terrorists. Abel was... off balance, ever so slightly less than the unflappable pillar of reassuring calm in a crisis she'd grown to used to fighting alongside.

And she didn't have a clue why.

"Hey, you two. Didn't catch your names, but I'm taking a side trip into space to pick something up, got room for one the way I travel. The view is to die for, so if one of you want to come along..," she offered with a grin down at Cade and his sister, gaudy PAM suit bodyglove shifting back into a much more subtle blue hoodie and grey leggings. As if subtle was really the word for anything that applied to Jeane. But still, she didn't have time to puzzle out the mystery of her friend right now, and if either of these two were anything like her during her first run in with the team, they could use the cool down.

Cade was abit awestruck still with all the Irregulars around, and Sean of course.   There wasn't a straight man alive that hadn't fantasized to the insanely beautiful genius.  Hearing her speak was wondrous, and it was only through an amazing act of Will that he didn't embarrass himself.

Thankfully, or some would say not so thankfully, his view was Eclipsed by the youngest of the Irregulars, and the largest, Traceuse.  While not the mind-numbing beauty that Sean was, Jeane was still quite attractive, though you had to be pretty secure with yourself considering she towered over everyone.  It was a little comical for him, as he was used to being a fair bit taller than everyone around him save his father.  He looked up to her, and smiled  "So this is how it feels.."

He nodded.  "Sorry, I'm used to being the tall one, I meant no offense.  My name is Cade Alistair, this is my sister, Haruka.  I hate to be a burden, but if you can make two trips then that would be best.  Take my sister first..." he paused and speared his little sister with a stern gaze.  "Who will not move from where she ends up, until you get there with me on the second trip."

The younger sibling nodded.  "Yes, yes brother.  I'll behave."   It was clear that the two were bilingual and very accustomed to speaking English and Japanese.  Haruka looked to Jeane and smiled.  She was at least a foot and a half taller than the younger woman, who didn't seem to be unused to such things.

Lilly looked over at Jeane in a bit of surprise and then smiled, looking back to the Alistairs.

<< Dude. What the hell? They're my guests and you go offering to take one or more of them off someplace? NOT cool, dude. >> the thought to Jeane as she addressed Cade and his sister.

"It's okay, we can 'beam up' so to speak as a group, even if the surprise is a bit ruined now. Bound to happen with so many moving parts." she said with a chuckle and shrug.

Cade smiled at Lilly and nodded.  "Whatever works best and easiest for you all.   We're just along for the ride, accepting your generous invitation."   

He knew enough about sci-fi to understand they were about to teleport in some fashion.  Evidently at least two of the Irregulars could do it, and they might have other ways too.   His sister of course was right there at his side, waiting until however they were going to travel happened.   She was just in awe of everyone around her.   While she'd gotten used to Cade, he was her brother after all, this was just so much more intense.

1 hour ago, Sean Cassidy said:

"How would you feel about all this destruction and potential anarchy, Devin, if it wasn't perpetrated purely by non-Keys?" Sean asked the irrepressible purple-enrobed Key. "Because I have a strong suspicion it isn't so simple as a human-on-human battle royale. There's something more behind it, I believe."

She gave Devin a direct look, with the tiniest hint of sympathy to it. "And sometime, if you can find some spare time between the couch cushions, can I talk with you about Laurie? And you, too, Lilly?" She nodded at the Vanguard at Devin's side. Her lips twisted in a wry grin. "Despite any blonde moments I may have, I can read between the lines of what isn't said. Laurie doesn't hate you as much as she wants you to think, Devin, or how much Haagen Daz she scarfs down."

"It wouldn't surprise me," he said to Sean.  His voice was low and nothing like his usual boisterous and jovial tone.  He didn't want be overheard.  "Keys aren't angels, but there are less than a thousand of us, so finding the perpetrator/s shouldn't be too difficult.  If you need me for this, I'm willing to help bring them in, my senses might speed things up.  I will remind you, all of you, that you were just formally shot down by the Japanese when asking to assist them."

"Let me clue you in on what that means: one, you were never asked to intervene which means technically you, with the exception of Lilly, are all here illegally.  I'm everywhere illegally, all the time, so personally, I don't care.  Two, I know you well enough to know that one of you has already taken a sample of someone or something by now.  Congrats, that's not only removing evidence from a crime scene it is also tampering with an official investigation.  Third, I'm guessing Sage has already probed someone's mind to get some morsel or snippet of intel."  He raised his hands.  "I'm not judging, in fact, I approve, but telepathic evidence is inadmissible because no one can be forced to incriminate themselves or others."

"Basically, Savant, you have no case.  All of your findings are illegally obtained and you have no legal claim to bring in any suspects you find,"  He smiled.  "You willing to commit numerous felonies and violate more international protocols than you have already?  Cuz, I'm down if you're down.  I'm not human, so human don't laws don't apply to me, but I know how you guys get when someone tries to accuse you of not being as altruistic as you believe yourselves to be."

"And, yeah, we'll talk later," he added as he heard Jeane and Cade go back and forth about rides.  "Jesus Christ, people."

He extended his hand towards them and a swirling iris of purple opened to reveal a portal that led to the Watchtower not far from where they stood.  He called it into being faster than any portal network system could ever have calculated.  "Go, guys, just go."

Lilly earned herself a raised eyebrow of disbelief and a resend of the mental image of the teleport control room with it's pinkish trail of human blood somewhat ruining the vista of the stars. There would have been words, but then Ronin went on his little rant, and opened his impromptu portal. She didn't give that much of a shit about what he was saying, but the second issue? Oh, Hell no.

"One second," she offered with the faintest of strain in her voice, darting through the portal into... Yup, Ronin did drop the portal right next to where the blood puddle fortunately no longer was. And the rifle was gone, probably to a secure storage locker or something based on the absence of calls. Yeah, the T'Tauri were *good* at running a space station. The towering blonde flashed the Commander a smile of thanks and skipped back through the portal.

"Planet's still there. We're good. See you topside, Cade, Haruka," Jeane offered with a relieved grin before vanishing in a crackle of scarlet lightning. She had a murder weapon to chase down before figuring which of the siblings was the Key and which was along for the glorious ride. 

Cade looked at everyone, noting that there was alot more going on than he could learn standing there, and he took his sister's hand.  "Well you hoped to travel through a portal today, Looks like you get to do even better.   This is one created by one of the Irregulars himself."   He smiled, and gave a nod to Jaunt.  "Thanks man, between getting to meet Lilly and this, I'm pretty sure you've made my sister's day."

With that he lead her through the portal, following after Jeane, and emerging with little fanfare, and a smile.  "That was cool."  His sister nodded, and smiled "Felt kinda tingly.."   They moved off abit, mostly in case others were going to follow.

Abel for his part used a light touch on the bomber's mind, looking for anything regarding why he'd done this.  It wasn't a deep scan, just enough to satisfy his curiosity, and of course his powers left no trace,    He nodded to the others, and made his own way through Jaunt's portal, Emerging not too far from where the young man and his sister were standing.   He quickly moved out of the way, and nodded.  "Welcome to the Watchtower.  I trust this is the first time you've been to space.   We have artificial gravity here, so you cna move normally.  There's nothing to worry about."   Haruka was taken aback by Abel's appearance, and that yet another Irregular had spoken to them directly.  

Cade simply nodded.  "Man, this day just gets wilder and wilder."

The elder Key nodded.  "You have no idea."   Abel gave them a little smile.   "i'm sure Jeane or Lilly will give you the grand tour.  Just be mindful, two of the T'Tauri ambassadors live up here, so you may yet get to meet your first actual aliens today too."

Haruka looked like she was about to shortcircuit from all the awesomeness of the day, and she managed to speak softly..  "My God, Cade, we're in space.."   

Cade simply shrugged.  "We are, and we might get to meet aliens.."  

His sister smirked back at him, "And you thought today was just gonna be boring.."

Abel chuckled.   "Sounds exactly like my own sisters and I."

A crackle of lightning in the control room, and there Jeane belatedly was, big as life and hands resting in the pockets of her hoodie. She smiled at the new arrivals, "Nice view, right? Told ya."

'The rifle's securely locked up aboard the station, Sean. Checked myself,' she offered over the link, 'And sorry, Lilly. I'd rather be wrong than careless and didn't want some blood to ruin a good first impression. You want me out of your hair; I'm gone.'

Always so many places to be and only one her be there. That was the problem with a faceless enemy, and even when you did find a clue, someone's pride would get in the way of actual problem solving.

"Something wrong with my portal?"  Devin said to Jeane as he stepped through the purple vortex and looked about the Watchtower.  He didn't much care for Jeane, she was just one more kidnap victim notched on Abel's belt of sociopathic felonies and Sean had her suckling hard on the teat of the Irregular's jacked up agenda of get rich, rape the minds of the people and usurp the world's free will.

He cast an odd look at the guy and his sister, offering them an eyeroll.  "I'm not an attraction at Disney Land, Cade.  Oooh, it's made by an actual Irregular, wow.  Grow the hell up."  He spun about arms out wide and looked about.  "Jesus, when did you guys turn this place into a tourist attraction?  Still looks the same too.  I'd have thrown a coat paint here and there, but hey, I'm more of a purple guy myself.  Don't judge."

"So, let's hurry up and get a babysitter for Cade and the girl whose name sounds like I'm hawking up a loogie, and let's get some work done,"  he clapped his hands together loudly.  "Sage, big guy, what did you get from the dude, because I know you, you can't help but be all up in everyone else's business.  Talk to me, let's get to brass tacking.  Where we going, whose face we wrecking?"

Four of the Lillys stepped through the portal right behind the Allisters, leaving two behind just in case. All four of them sigh and gave Jaunt some side eye at his impatience and comments.

It was an unusual experience to catch looks like from Lilly... in stereo surround sound, no less, and it was still a bit odd to see more than one of her at a time, all of which acted, spoke thought and reacted identically.

Dual Vanguards

"Let's get you the grand tour. I am sure you'll get to see some of the crew." two of the Lilly's said to the Allisters, motioning to the door which slid open automatically, 'Star Trek' sound effect and all. The pair of Lillys guided the Allisters through the station, pausing at various viewports and such for the Allisters to take in the view as much as they liked before moving to the next par.

"This station was left for us by the T'Tauri long before they had revealed themselves to the world and began diplomatic relations, so they have been helping us almost from the beginning and we, and now the Earth, is lucky to have them as allies." one of the Lillys explained.

"It was a bit odd for us in the beginning. I mean, you see super powered heroes or whatever, on the TV or clips online, but in the beginning, we were just teens with these strange abilities. We were a bit unsure who would believe us about an alien invasion, or who to trust. It took us a while to figure things out, and we stumbled here and there, and certainly will in the future too. That's just part of life." the other Lilly said, looking at Cade.

"Still though, it is a kind of scary time when you first Unlock. Yeah, the abilities can be cool, but in the beginning they are just so new. You feel so different and you are unsure who to tell or if just to hide your abilities and try to live a normal life. Nobody would begrudge a new Key for trying to stay hidden and live a normal life. I know that all of us Irregulars have wished at times we could, or did." the first Lilly explained.

"While other decide that if they have these abilities, then they ave a responsibility to use them, ideally for good. Both are valid, and either way we want Keys to know that there are people here to talk to if they need some help coping with their new situation. We do not look to 'out' about or anything like that either. We just know what it's like and hope to help others." the other Lilly added with a smile.

Lilly Prime

"Dude. Don't be a douche. We were ALL really worried about you. People are glad to see you and see that you're okay. Don't ruin that." she said to Devin, adding, "And let's go somewhere to talk. This me, not one of the duplicates. I can call forth another Vanguard to prove it, but really I hope you trust me more than that."

Having been pleasantly not told to fuck off by the twin Vanguards, Jeane had followed quietly in the wake of Lilly's tour, holding her tongue and letting her teammate pontificate and show off the station. Much better than her idea of straight to the chow hall and hope one of the T'Tauri was off duty at the moment. Consequence of the ability to be anywhere in a heartbeat? Maybe? eh. Still, she'd done enough watching for now.

She chuckled for the first time, grinning like the cat who ate the canary, "Speaking as someone who went from hiding my powers for six months to not being able to hide them at all in a day, it's definitely a Process. And one you're definitely not alone in. We have a phone number, and someone will be awake to talk once you get past Alexa, any time of day. So, ten thousand dollar question if you don't mind my asking me, you two. Whose the awesome one, and who has the powers? Impossible to tell from over here."

She chuckled again, enjoying the excited innocence of the siblings. Made her wistful that she still had so much ground to cover rebuilding with her own sister, seeing the easy harmony of these two.

<< Dude! WHAT THE SHIT?!?! >> the dual Lilly thought right to Jeane in stereo with a force of shock and anger the younger Key had never even remotely felt from her before, though they both maintained their composure.

One Lilly chuckled and shook her head while the other spoke to the brother and sister.

"I think Jeane here took me recounting the early days of our key-hood.. key-ness.. post-unlocking... whatever you want to call it... as some sort of pitch or something. And even on the astronomically remote chance that one of you somehow happened to be a Key, none of us would be so rude as to 'out' you to the other or anybody else." she explained with an amused smile.

<< You do NOT go outing KEYs like that, even to their family, if it can AT ALL be avoided. We didn't even out you, if you remember. We left it up to you to live your life or tell your parents or whatever. That is a matter of consideration, respect and decency. >> one thought to Jeane.

<<Why don't you go find Abel or something. Seriously. Both of me got this well in hand. >> the other then thought to Jeane, her.. well 'irritation' was not exactly a strong enough word, plainly evident.

<< So Jeane is here outing Cade to his sister. I think we cleaned it up, but just thought you should know. >> she though to Lilly Prime, who sighed when she received the message.

<< Dude. You seem to be tight with Jeane. Can you get her out of my hair. She's trying to out the guy to his sister, and that is soo not cool. >> she thougbt to Abel.

Cade was fairly taken aback by Jaunt's comments, and his face went blank as he did his best to stifle his annoyance with the other young man.   Before he could really do anything in response, the dual Vanguards spoke up and whisked him and his sister away for a tour of the station, which was a welcome diversion from the Doucheporter.  The tour was fun enough, then Jeane, the huge blonde, effectively outed him.   He grunted with annoyance, but shrugged.   He already knew at least one of them knew he was a Key, and if he'd heard and understood correctly, then Abel was capable of reading minds, so he probably knew too.   

The young Key sighed, and turned to give Jeane a Look.  Then he looked to the Vanguard trying to play it off.   "I appreciate it Lilly, really, but in this one instance, it's okay. My sister already knows that I'm a Key.  I knew that accepting your invitation was likely going to result in more people knowing, but I chose to come anyway. "

His sister looked at him, abit shocked over him just openly admitting the secret they'd shared, and he squeezed her hand.   "I was signalling Lilly the moment I realized the threat that guy posed, so yeah, she knew.  It was worth it to make sure all those people were safe, and that nobody really got hurt."

The younger girl hugged her brother and smiled.   "See, I told you you'd meet other keys one day and it wouldn't be so bad."

He nodded. "Yeah, but I can kiss that scholarship to Tokyo Tech goodbye."

He looked to Lilly, then Jeane.  "So yeah, I'm the one with the fun quantum fueled powers.   My sister's the awesome one who's kept that secret since she found out."   He smiled brightly, and nodded.   

"We did not know that your sister knew, so it was not right to try and out you,  even to a family member. It's not how we do things. We are supposed to have more respect and consideration than that." one Lilly said to Cade while the other looked to Jeane.

"So I am sorry for that, even if it did luckily happened to work out."

"Nice," she replied easily before rolling her eyes at the closest Vanguard, manner easy, "And I apologize for supporting your 'pitch'. It's not like we invite just anyone up here. I was guessing blind, although it was pretty obvious that Haruka's awesome."

Inwardly, she scoffed back in the face of Lilly's irritation, the courage of one who volunteered to fight monsters in an almost literal hell every other weekend or so making her stand her ground. She'd literally fought bigger and meaner. 'Oh step off,' Jeane thought over the link, 'As if you've never made a risky play that might not work out.'   

Surprised as he was by direct telepathic communication from Lilly, Abel didn't show it as he sat at a console in the command center, watching video of the Tokyo attacks, and he frowned.

<Jeane, do you mind coming to the bridge, I'd like to see the rifle you recovered, and I'd like for you to brief me on went on in New York.>

Of course she didn't need to be there for that, but all the same it gave Jeane a reason to leave that was valid.   

"Yeah," Jaunt replied to Lilly, since Sage was essentially ignoring him.  "And for the record, sweetness," they both disappeared in wispy haze of purple distortions that always followed one Jaunt's jaunts.

They were standing on an observation deck, the one the others knew was Jaunt's 'favorite'.  The view was spectacular and looked down upon a blue and white marble of wonderment and infinite possibilities.  From they stood, they were, for all their power and might, tiny little things part of a grander, larger scheme.  "I can always tell which of you is the Prime, hun. I just like letting you keep your mystery."

Lilly remained unfaltered by change in scenery.  She knew Jaunt well enough to know that when around him for any length of time that a jaunt or two was almost expected.  The only thing that set this time apart from others, was he didn't touch or attune her... he simply willed her to join him, and she did.  "Is that so?"  She folded her arms in a friendly challenge of his claim.

"It is,"  Jaunt looked out the large window and allowed himself to be swept up in the maelstrom of emotions that came with such amazing view.  "See, Lils, quantum flows in everything, like the Force, it's a part of us, all of us.  I can see it in ways others can't, like a thread or lattice of all energy, matter, thoughts, love, hate, you name it.  It all has a color, a pattern, a reason.  You?  The lattice wraps and twists around around your heart, vibrant and full of love and life.  Your clones?  They are everything you are, but they don't have that lattice around the heart, babe."

He turned and faced her, leaning against the massive glass wall, folding his arms.  "I should have guessed that if any of us would share our heart with the world, it'd be you.  You're the best of all of us."

"You really see that?  Seriously?"  Her eyes narrowed in wait if one of Devin's sarcastic punchlines.

"I do," he vanished from the glass and appeared just inches from her.  With a closeness only two lovers could have been familiar with he gently traced his thumb down her soft cheek.  "And thank you.  For always keeping faith in me, despite my best efforts to push you and everyone else away."

Just like in Australia, he had that look in his eyes, that soft, seductive measure to his voice and a closeness that told her he was gonna go for it all over again, like nothing ever happened and everything between them was going to be okay.

• 1 month later...

Lilly shook her head and backed up, outstretching an arm to keep him at bay as she backed up several steps. She could feel all the emotions she had been burying deep down beginning to well up again, especially now that they were, more or less, alone. She clenched her fists and pulled her elbows to the side as she nearly keeled over, shut her eyes tightly and let out a scream that was a mix of emotions. Anger, frustration, and anguish dominated the scream which was over as quickly as it had begin. She opened her eyes and looked at him once more, her eyes ever so slightly squinting and brow furrowed with hurt.

"What the fuck dude?! Why'd you do that to us?" she asked, with the same hurt evident in her voice as she closed her eyes tightly again.

"To me...?" she added, opening her eyes again to look right in Devin's, her black pupils reflecting the image of the Earth blow like a mirror... which began to sparkle and become distorted as tears began to well up in them.

"I DID keep my faith in you... you.. you... ass! I kept saying that you couldn't have gone bad. That it had to be Pandora's mental control, or an impostor or anything except you going bad, because I KNEW that you couldn't have gone bad like that... I fucking KNEW IT!" she nearly yelled at him, the hurt slowly melding with her anger once again as she walked back up to him.

"Do you have ANY fucking idea what that was like?! To watch you murdering my father, you asshole?" she said as she balled her fists and began to hammer fist Devin's chest with both fists, yet despite the prodigious strength she was known for, she hit him now harder that she would have if were 'dormed', showing the control and care she demonstrated with her powers, even when in such a state.

The pummeling on his chest was more an act of frustration pent up for months than anything else, letting her vent it, at least to some degree, on him.

"Even then I was STILL saying that it couldn't be you or you were mind controlled or... fucking... whatever!" she snarled in frustration and anguish, finding it hard to find her words at the end as she stared into his eyes, doing her best to blink back her tears.

He let her have it.  The fit, the tantrum, the pounding on his chest.  What was he going to say, to do?  She was right after all, everything he did was hurful in someway to the Irregulars and he kept it all a secret because he knew that if they knew the truth, they'd not act in a manner according to their true character.  He needed them to hurt, to be angry, to be distrustful and paranoid that the big bad Jaunt monster could teleport in anywhere, ruin their lives, and there was nothing they could do to stop him.  They needed to believe so their reactions and actions would be real.

"I know, Lils,"  he said quietly.  There was nothin in his voice but caring and genuine remorse.  His voice almost didn't sound like his own, she'd never heard him so honest.  "I know it hurt, and I'm sorry.  I had to though, I needed you guys to believe it.  Had I told you the plan, you guys wouldn't have acted natural, I needed your reactions genuine if I was going to lure out Pandora and her cronies."

"You're dad?  That wasn't my idea, hon.  That was his," he admitted, taking a step closer to her wrapping his arms around her as the emotions in her refused to relent.  "He volunteered to help me, he trusted me Lilly, and can't joke when I say I was shocked.  He thought it was a sound plan, so we faked his death, he donned the suit I designed and became Agent Twelve.  Neither of us wanted to hurt you Lilly, but your dad, he's married to military.  He would do anything to make sure you and the people of Earth were kept safe, even it meant having to break your heart, of only for a little while."

It was no secret the animosity General Pryor held for Jaunt and in turn Jaunt held for, well, anyone in a position of authority, but now, in this moment, she could almost hear what was admiration in his tone.  Devin finally 'got it', he understood why the General was the way he was and why did the things he did.  He did them because they needed to be done.  It wasn't self-righteous posturing or a need to wave his authority around.  He had a daughter, and super powers or not he'd face down titans, fly into the son or even rewrite the cosmos if that's what it took to keep his little girl safe.  He never thought he'd be able to work with the guy, given the way the vocally and open seemed to hate each other, but the conversations they had, the things he'd talk to Devin about... he never knew the old man was so... cool.

"S'okay, Lills," he held her close, his voice low.  "S'okay.  I know, and I'm sorry."  He tightened his grip, holding closer and with more care.  "All I can say is 'I'm sorry'.  Take all the time you need, I got you.  It's just us."

Archived