Exalted: TMA OOC

Dave ST

Something to keep in mind guys, I know it's great to be Exalted and have all those bad ass artifacts... but keep in mind you can't go walking the streets in golden armor with twelve foot swords on your back (well, you can, shouldn't is the right word).  You may want to consider some regular weapons and possibly even martial arts (you don't need martial arts charms to be a martial artist).

I will not be reminding people 'don't take that in there'.  If you insist on walking the streets in all your golden glory, hey, I'm cool with it (ballsy, and I applaud you for it) but it's not the best of ideas.  Same applies to 'Obvious' charms.

Dotting for interest here. I will take some time, need to learn the rules. It's been decades since I last read Exalted books.

Martial Arts and Gunplay sound really great as options for characters. What are you expecting in terms of origin/background/walk of life? Any specific goals or common ground?

1 hour ago, Anatoly said:

What are you expecting in terms of origin/background/walk of life? Any specific goals or common ground?

You're Exalted for about 6 months or so.  Who were you before that?  Remember you had a life before all this madness.  Your profession probably relates to your Caste.  Dawn are military, law enforcement, etc...

Ties are left to you, some of you may have know each other previously, in fact one of you may have known the Abyssal before she died... even if she no longer cares to know you.

Remember, there is more to Exalted than beating things up.  I have no issues with how you make your characters, but want to hear no complaints when your one-trick pony gets owned by something you couldn't just sword/slash/kill your way through.

To you guys it may be a 'game' but I play them very seriously.  When characters do stupid shit there can be serious backlash.  Especially when you're taking on the evil world (literally) and they control the media, the police, the military.  If you think you can just punch through all that and win the game, go for it, I'll go get my dice.

I am thinking about someone who's got a criminal background, connected to bigger crime but not exactly part of it. Fringe criminality so to say. I'd like to play around with contacts, guns, planning. Someone dangerously genre-savvy, perhaps. Charms might be a mix of guns, survival, sneaky and social. First thoughts are an older gentleman, easily overlooked, experienced, hidden depths. Given that others seem to have clear caste ideas, I may be a bit behind here, bit I'll get there..

Haven't read the book yet, but as far as I know the kinds of Exalted both govern the fiction and power level. So a Lunar's on the whole less powerful, dragonblooded even less. Does it make sense to go for something other than Solar/Lunar/Abyssal? Or is it a matter of "less points, but not everyone is out for your blood" kind of deal?

I saw Nina putting in a witch - is that a magical charms kind of concept, or proper circle sorcery?

Apologies if I seem a bit disorganized, I am trying to put fiction first since I don't know the rules very well...

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Noctis said:

To be clear, we're using the Modern Age setting from Shards of the Exalted Dream and the 2.5 updates from Scroll of Errata. You'd want to look at those before making a decision.

Emmm, I haven't even gotten through the 2nd edition base book yet. So I am just thinking of ideas, not how to put them in stats.

I am checking SotED, the scroll of errata won't be important until I get to the crunch I think...

Okay, going back and forth between the various books I think I have a reasonable concept; the stats are still going to be wonky. Do I send it straight to DaveST, or is there a character vetting area?

I am considering a Sidereal, Chosen of Endings. Attempting to balance the universe by taking vengeance in the names of others. Through the Dogma flaw, I can see this being a character that is called on to perform acts of divine vengeance, and one way for the character to join the group. I am keeping to low-key charms, mostly Excellences, Ox-Body and Essence replenishment charms. I want to add more firearms and martial arts, but they are super-complicated and I only half-get it, so I am opening that up for character growth. At least I will take holistic bullet methodology (finger-pews!) and Wearing Red to a Wedding (arsenal in broad daylight).

I half-understand combos, DV, the action sequence and how the calculations work, so I hope you can be a bit patient with me while I calculate all that stuff.

In terms of the points, sidereals get 15 backgrounds rather than 7 - I assume that is superseded by the character creation rules?

Yes, the posted creation supersedes the books.  Sidereals don't have access to the Yu-Shan or the spirits in the Modern Age and no one has seen a Celestial Incarnae for over 1,000 years.  Don't worry about the calculations, I'll help you figure them.

Remember, Sidereals are 'Celestial Exalts' not Dragon-Blooded.

What Exalted games have you guys played in where your Exaltation stops and has a conversation with you right before you Exalt?

Abyssals are the only one's who hear whispers, as in seriously... they get a background called 'Whispers'.  The rest of you, I don't know what voices you think you're hearing, but is sure as hell isn't your shard talking to you.

Okay, I've seen/read everyone's characters at this point, except... yep!  You guessed it...

MAX!

It's okay, no one's waiting on you or anything... just go on... taaaaaake your time...

So far, baring the obvious trouble maker among you, the entries are good and the characters solid.  I will work this weekend to get some info posted and if Max can stop being a dingleberry, I might get a start going this weekend.

Since you have more experience with the system in general, especially running a game that follows all the rules.   Is there anything you would recommend I change, something that might help stay alive longer, or perhaps add a bit of utility?

So, Justin asked this in his Character PM.  I'm answering it here because it's an excellent question that all of you should hear the answer to.

Okay, so survivability in Exalted is a bitch if the ST is a dick.  I've seen some STs do 'tortoise-counter attack' characters just to whittle away PCs.  I won't lie, I do it too sometimes, but the end goal of any game should not be to TPK the characters.  That said, I don't unleash the flood gates on PCs unless I'm pretty sure they can take the heat or have at least gotten used to their character's capabilities.

A few of you have 'Durability of Oak Meditation' and it's upgrade 'Iron Kettle Body'.  These are great unarmored charms as they really boost your soak in a pinch.  'Adamant Skin Technique' is a great addition too, as it is a perfect defense.  The downside is that it comes one of the four flaws.

Body Mending Meditation - Tons of Health Levels, or very few, often need to heal quickly.  This charm speeds your healing by a factor of 10.  So your Solar could heals their -0 bashing box in 36 minutes instead of 6 hours. -1 in 5 hours instead of 48.  -2 in 10 hours instead 96.  -4 in 17 hours instead of 1 week!

Ox-Body Technique - Health Levels... nuff said.

Wound-Mending Care Technique - This charm heals you instantly!  Well, after the initial hour that is used for its activation.  When combined with Instant Treatment Methodology the wounds are healed instantly in a single action!  Now, here's the kicker... when combined with Body Mending Meditation... you can increase the health levels healed by a factor of 10!  This combo has been a life save for Solars with 30+ health levels...

I could go on, but those are some ideas.  I'll not be seeking to wipe anyone out, but I will tell you now, do not be afraid to run.  I personally recommend it if you run into a complete Brotherhood (5, 1 from each Aspect) of Dragon-Bloods.  Even the weakest ones work well as a team.  Your average Celestial Exalt will wipe the floor with a DB in one on one combat.  They might get a lucky hit in on you, but DBs have no Perfect Defenses and can not shrug off attacks like Celestial Exalts can.

You will not encounter an Infernal with less than Essence 4, keep that in mind.  These are 'Boss' level Exalts and will always play to win.

Most of your encounters will be with low to mid level mooks, even the Exalted variety will be more for dramatic actions scenes than 'let's see who can kill who'.  I wanna tell a story, not bog the game down with dice rolls.  You will all get hurt though, mark my words.

since this is modern age what version of resources are we using. vanilla exalted is based on a pre-industrial  civilization. now we have credit cards, should we use the resource table from aberrant, Trinity, or one of the WoD games

To be honest, it's all the same, really.  All that changes is the flavor text.

X - You broke.  Broke AF.  You have no spending power, you're homeless, people make memes about you.
●  - You're struggling, but you have a roof over your head.  If you have a car, it's a beater that Adam Sandler once wrote a song about.  If you have a phone, it's a flip phone which brands you as either poor, or a time traveler.
● ●  - You're doing okay.  Life ain't great, but you're doing the best you can with have.  You're so boringly average it's sickening.  You have an okay ride, you afford some decent toys.
● ● ●  - You got money.  Chances are you have one of those fancy jobs or you're at least successful at your endeavors.  You have nice car, prolly something sporty like those 10,000 douche bags that think their awesome because they own the same Mustang every other douche bag drives yet they all think theirs is unique.
● ● ● ●  - Look at you!  You prolly got a record deal or have some in demand talent.  You got that celebrity status and prolly spend your cash on nice vacations, meaningless sex and designer blow.  You're not quite a Kardashian... okay, well, maybe the ugly 'poor' one.
● ● ● ● ●  - CEO baby!  By this level you're pretty much wiping with big bills and have some ignorant plans to build a wall around Meruvia to keep people from entering in their boats.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived