John Carter of Mars

Nina

The Dying World of Barsoom Needs Heroes. Will You Answer the Call?

John Carter of Mars - Adventures on The Dying World of Barsoom is a planetary romance tabletop role-playing game. Created under license and with the cooperation of the estate of Edgar Rice Burroughs, author of the original Barsoom novels and with the guidance of Scott Tracy Griffin one of the leading scholars of his works to ensure utmost authenticity. Using a pulp-action inspired lite variant of Modiphius' 2d20 system called Momentum, John Carter of Mars allows players to take the role of various adventurers and heroes as they travel, battle, and romance their way across the a wondrous and dangerous world known to its natives as Barsoom. Play as John Carter, the princess Dejah Thoris, the fearsome Thark Tars Tarkas or you can create your own new heroes from a wide variety of options. 

"I do not believe that I am made of the stuff which constitutes heroes, because, in all of the hundreds of instances that my voluntary acts have placed me face to face with death, I cannot recall a single one where any alternative step to that I took occurred to me until many hours later." - John Carter, Princess of Mars

First brought to life by Tarzan author Edgar Rice Burroughs in 1912,  John Carter is a Confederate officer who survives the American Civil War only to find himself transported to a fantastic version of Mars called Barsoom. The Mars stories spawned a generation of writers who went on to create such classic worlds as Dune, Star Wars, Superman, Avatar and Dungeons & Dragons. It is only fitting that John Carter is brought to life in the industry Burroughs’ ideas helped inspire.  

John Carter —The Roleplaying Game
Explore the wonders of Barsoom from the vast deserts to the ancient cities. Discover the forgotten secrets of a world that was old when life first spawned in the oceans of Earth. Play as pilots, warriors, scientists, or one of the terrifying green Tharks.  Create you own Barsoom adventures or take on the great journeys as John Carter himself along side Dejah Thoris, Kantos Kan, Xodar, Tars Tarkas, Thuvia of Ptarth, Carthoris of Helium or any of the other major heroes and heroines of Barsoom.

The John Carter roleplaying game uses 2d20 LITE—a streamlined version of the 2d20 system featured in the Mutant Chronicles, INFINITY and Conan roleplaying games. Designed for fast flowing action accentuating the exuberant adventures of the original books, 2d20 LITE let’s you dive into the game immediately with a sleek, pulse-pounding system.

From the Modipius John Carter Webpage

John Carter RPG Quickstart

If there is any interest in having me run a game of this let me know. It's different from anything else we are doing and could be fun. The quickstart will tell you how the system works and is easier to get a handle than wading into the core book just to see if you might want to play.

If you are unfamiliar with the Barsoom series of books, instead of trying to read them I would recommend looking at the Dark Horse Comics (or even the old marvel ones from the 1970s) to get a feel as well as the Disney Movie from 2012 which isn't bad and aside from a few discrepancies is a fairly good adaptation of the first novel despite what some say. (there is also a 2009 adaption with Antonio Sabato Jr and Traci Lords (yes that Traci Lords but with clothes at least some) which is horribly low budget but actually kind of fun in a rotten tomatoes sort of way but not recommended as a reference for a game I would run)

Anyway I haven't worked anything up yet but I am looking for something that is fun for me to run. If there is any interest I will give this a try.

Let me know below

Cool.  I wanna be Conan.

There's a lot about his stories that have gaps where he just disappears for periods of time... what if he went to Mars?  I'm sure ther eare plenty of people there who need dying, and plenty of scant clad Martian women in need of pelvis.

What if Valeria didn't die?  She's just on Mars with Elvis and Dennis Rodman?

ok i'm rethinking this

if your still interested post a one or two sentence concept for a character. nothing more please.

while this is not a dark grim and gritty world by any means and I am doing this for fun I do want a degree of seriousness. So keep the silly to a minimum please.

One option you guys have is to make an all earth born group.

if this is something that you might want to do discuss it and decide.

requirements for this group would be that all of the characters need to be friends and be approximately the same age much like RL friends. This group would start off before your transport to Barsoom. ages should be from early 20s to early 30s (collage friends would be  a good start either still in or not to long out)

I am okay with an all Earthborn group, if that is what we want to do. it puts quite a bit on Nina though for exposition and such about the world. I have some ideas if that is the route we go.

Aside from possible EarthbornI also have ideas for;

A red or black martian Airship Officer (Dwar/Captain) who is kind of a freebooter type and values freedom

A yellow martian envoy-turned-Rogue after being marooned in a red city.

A yellow/red martian Panthan or Duelist who is out to prove their skill / prefect their art.

A red martian who is down on her luck (blew an assignment, family wiped out or whatever)

A green martian Panthan who discovered who their parents were and was banished

Everyone from Earth would be alright with me.  Especially if we go the college route.  Although is anyone is playing anything resembling an attractive female, it's doubtful my character would be 'friends' with them, considering he's very reclusive and lives more in his fantasy world of games and books than actually associating with people.  He could be tutoring, or being tutored by such a female character though.

If too many Earthborn are a thing I have several ideas for other characters too:

1. An Earthborn nerd who finds himself suddenly on Barsoom as an unlikely hero.

2. An Earthborn nerd who finds himself suddenly on Barsoom as an unlikely hero.

3. An Earthborn nerd who finds himself suddenly on Barsoom as an unlikely hero.

4. An Earthborn nerd who finds himself suddenly on Barsoom as an unlikely hero.

5. An Earthborn nerd who finds himself suddenly on Barsoom as an unlikely hero.

6. An Earthborn nerd who finds himself suddenly on Barsoom as an unlikely hero.

7. An Earthborn nerd who finds himself suddenly on Barsoom as an unlikely hero.

If any of those other ideas best suit what you're looking for, lemme know, I'll get the ball working on fleshing him out.

10 minutes ago, Dave ST said:

Although is anyone is playing anything resembling an attractive female, it's doubtful my character would be 'friends' with them, considering he's very reclusive and lives more in his fantasy world of games and books than actually associating with people

well unless he plays those game by himself he probably belonged to a group he played with who would most likely include the aforementioned friends but we will see

ok looks like we are going with the earthborn set up. so i will assume that you are either still in collage(easiest) or recent grads

these are the archtypes that are available for these characters

beastmaster (veterinary student)

Envoy

Explorer

Rogue

Healer (pre-med student)

you can also make your own archtype pending approval and if you can convince me you can argue for an unlisted arch type.

The arch types are as written except the what you know sections do no pertain to these characters.

I'm not doing this 'on/off' bullshit just because people have bugs up their asses or tempers, or problems in real life, or an inability to deal with social interactions be they in person or online.  Regardless of how this ends up resolved, I'm not going to be apart of this game.  This right here is a prime example of what to expect once the game begins.  If people can't even get through a few characters concepts and Q&A sessions without loosing their shit, this is doomed from the start.

FFS people.  Get your shit together.

• 1 month later...

ok  so far only Noir and Jer have shown interest if both of you want I will do the game with the two of you let me know and if yes let me know if you still want to do the original premise or if you want to do different characters.

once y'all have checked in here i will go about setting up a forum

yes I will run it for just the two of you hell ill even run it for one of you, just need to know which so I can start setting it up

others can join later if they want after they see how much fun it is

hahahahahahahaha

see that is fun

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to join the game if there's still room. 

The start premise is great but I'd like to go with the Fugitive archetype if that's okay. She was sold into a bad situation but escaped it and people that are looking for her. Not actually attending college but she'd be working jobs in and around a college, taking part in research projects for compensation, etc.

Hopefully this is brief enough? :)

Archived