Level 1: Mecha and Monsters

Justin OOC

It was Thursday evening, and without warning, Three cellphones all went off at the same time.  The Three women who those phones belonged to all got the same enigmatic Text.   "Come to the Shop."  The sending number wasn't blocked, it just read "GM" and they could feel a change in the air.   Roughly two weeks prior, they'd all been visited by a strange older man, and when he left, they could never be the same.   Each of them had been given a portion of power from the Nexus of ALL, granting them powers, abilities, or items that defied the laws of the mundane world they lived in.   The powers they gained though, were from different worlds that contributed to the Nexus, and with this being said, the allotted time to  get used to one's abilities had now expired.  The summons they received burned with an almost ingrained imperative, not quite forcing compliance, but this too was part of the deal, When the GameMaster called, the Players would answer.

As Each of them arrived, they found that they were not the only ones called.  One last person stood there, and unlike them, said person was male, and decidedly not the GameMaster.  At 19, Ryan Church was the oldest of the four, and the tallest.   Standing 6'2 with long unruly black hair and piercing dark blue eyes He'd been one of the area's delinquents several years back, then suddenly, without warning he vanished.   No one ever knew why this was, or what happened, but many of the guys he bullied mostly the other area bullies, as oddly enough he had a rule to never bully girls, or the guys the bullies tormented) were thankful that the Hellion of Harbor City was gone.   Here he was though now, and he didn't look mean, to the contrary, he seemed to be Standup kind of guy, if one could forgive the fact he didn't seem to believe in tucked in shirts, and that Cocky 'Been there, done it all" grin he had as he saw the three women come up.  "So these are Players 2, 3, and 4?  Geeze, Old Man (you could instinctively feel him capitalizing the letters as it seemed to be what he called the GameMaster)   You really went all out with them didn't you?   Guess you had to after losing me to the damn void."

"You're back now." The GameMaster said with a note of irritation.  "Even if Neither of us understand exactly how that is."

Ryan shrugged.  "You got me there, I'm just glad I get another chance."  He looked to each of the women, who he didn't seem to recognize at all.   "I'm Ryan Church, Player One, for the Old Man, it's a pleasure to meet all of you.    Has he Fully explained the rules of the Game to each of you, well at least as much as he knows."

He seemed to be sincere in his greeting, and he did size each of them up, but it wasn't with some lecherous gaze, but the more measured gaze of a competitor meeting his teammates for the first time.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Ryougi Yuuki. A pleasure to meet you as well, Church-San," replied the smallest and least-striking of the three girls with a reflexive smile that didn't quite reach her eyes if you were paying close attention. Yuuki was tired from a long night of crafting charms and had been counting on a slow day at the shrine to recover a little. Just her luck that the call came out today, but she was here, clad in a long grey skirt and green sweater ready to serve. Her sensible flats were left by the door, hair hanging loose around her face.

The shrine maiden turned slightly away from Ryan and bowed once to the older male, brown eyes calm mirrors, voice soft, "Gamemaster-Sama. I will serve as commanded."

A glance back at Church, a quick-measuring scan of the other two women before she added softly, "He did not explain to me. I had faith he would when the time was right." 

• Matt featured, pinned, unpinned, pinned and unfeatured this topic

"If that's all he didn't mention, we'll be lucky," commented the third girl. A pale, thin thing sitting slightly hunched on a chair backed up against one of the walls with her feet together and her hands knotted in her lap. She was wearing a long-sleeved, long-skirted dress of pure black, with some kind of wrist bangle made of ornamental metal spikes, and the toes of old black sneakers that had seen better days poking out from the hem of the skirt. Her hair was long and straight and...yep...black, parted in the middle. Her fingernails and lips were polished black as well.

Vesper eyed the others in the room, Game Master included, with what could have been either disinterest or disdain...there wasn't more than a hair's breadth between the two for her anyway.

"So. How does this work?"

She reached into her right sleeve with her left hand and produced a cigarette from somewhere within, then started hunting around her waist for her lighter.

Ryan nodded and looked to the GameMaster, and shook his head.  "Callin' them in and not even telling them all the rules? Lame Old Man, really lame."   

His ice blue gaze shifted back to the trio of new players.  "Someone broke reality, causing  things to go haywire, all across the multiverse.   We've got access to the Nexus of it ALL, so we get to go to each of the broken realities, and fix whatever's wrong.  That's why he gave us all powers, or gear or what have you.  When a new Problem reaches critical levels, we get the call to play the newly Opened Level.   Treat it sorta like any other game.  There are winners and losers, and you can feel the pain, and of course death can happen.   Now sometimes it isn't permanent, but don't count on being in a reality where you can be brought back.  You can get new gear, and new powers in a Level, and you may find your powers work a little different in different levels.  The more you can clear, the better, as you get more powerful and can adapt to changes better.   The  Level I was sent to was a fantasy world with knights and magic and such.    I cleared the Level, but was mortally wounded as I did so.  I don't remember anything happening after that, save waking up in the woods out back of the shop, to the summons.   Also, don't lose your phones.  They're kinda important, they get maps of the worlds uploaded to them, though they're not 100% explored when you get them, and they work everywhere.   Hell I was using mine to keep in touch with the General of the Alliance forces when we attacked the dragonlord, it was pretty sweet."

He seemed like he could go on, but The Gamemaster interceded.  "Yes, I'm sure you've got lots of stories to tell, but you remember we have a window.   We've got five minutes to send you 4 to the next Level, or we have to wait for it to come round again."

"Yeah, there's a timer to complete various levels, sometimes it's long, hell for my Level it was like five years, it was kinda nuts, but I remember last time we had what a minute from the notice to the window for it, that was crazy."

Ryan looked over at the girls.  "So you're all good with your powers and gear right?   My power is what's called Linked Energy Manipulation.  It's crazy useful in close combat, and in every day life, but sucks at range.   I've got that and a magic sword."   

The GameMaster sighed.  "You may not like this level then.  Reports are that this is a world overrun by monstrous creatures up to eighty feet tall where mankind is fighting back using mechs.  I've sent the full Level specs, what I got at least, to your phones, but I really need to send you in now, if you're going to go."

Ryan just shrugged.  "I've fought bigger.  Player One, Buying in."   He looked to the others.  "IT's what ya gotta say.   I don't make the rules, just play by them."

Yuuki carefully masked her disbelief as Ryan took over the brief, detail building on detail into a whole that had her torn between giggling at the silly language and crying at the bitter sweet memories it dug at. She focused on the Duty, on her brother at home, on what would happen if she failed to come home. Not on how tempting not coming home sounded. Still, as long as it was more Gurren and less Evangelion... As long her 'teamates' understood how serious this was and acted appropriately... This could work. Kami help them all.

At least she wasn't first with how long she had taken to answer.

"I'll have more questions on the other side. But for now... Player Two, Buying in," she ventured, having had to shout more ridiculous things to use some of her powers.

Vesper watched everyone stand up and say their thing with mounting disbelief. She finally found her lighter and touched a flame to the end of her cigarette...already feeling a little better in anticipation of her first inhalation. Then she stood up and blew smoke out with a sigh.

"You've got to be kidding me," said the girl, deadpan. "Really?"

Ryan made a twirling, 'come on come on' gesture at her, and she rolled her eyes.

"Player whatever, lets just get this over with," Vesper declared, and took another drag on her cigarette.

Nothing happened.

"No, you gotta say the right thing or it won't work. You're player 4, the one that corresponds with Death," protested Ryan.

Vesper shook her head. "This is so retar..."

"You don't have to like the rules, but you have to play by them," Ryan pressed, "That's how this works. You didn't have to say yes to the Game Master, but you did, and this is what it comes down to."

She exhaled another plume of smoke, then leaned down and put the cig out on the floor. Then flicked the butt at the Game Master. Still expressionlessly, still deadpan, Vesper still managed to make every word drip acidic poison as she said, "Player. Four. Buying. In."

A briliant blue-white light enveloped them, and They briefly caught a glimpse of the thousands of worlds in the multiverse, before reality snapped back into focus.   They were in a large metropolitan cityscape, Or at least it was at one time.   Many of the buildings were damaged and rubble was everywhere.   They could smell ozone, and the smell of something burning.   Ryan was already looking around, heading to a rise of rubble, and pulling out his phone again.  "Okay, so it says this world's got monster problems, and they fight using humanoid mecha.   We've got 3 goals to accomplish to clear this level.   We've got to  Kill the Swarm Queen, and destroy her core.  Next, we've got to ensure The Oceanic Alliance Doesn't use nuclear weapons on Mount Fuji, or it will cause the the Swarm to mutate beyond the level they are now,  making defeating them impossible.   The third Goal is to ensure that The Pilots Ryoko Akisa and Junichiro Adai survive."    He put his phone down, and sighed.  "I hate "Protect" missions, my experience is that the ones listed as needing to be protected are most liable to do stupid things to get themselves killed."  

He looked at the trio.  "We need some Intel.  If you've got anything that lets you fly, I'd say pull it out, we need to know where we are, As through the rubble I can't see, and the map's only got so much range at a time.   Otherwise I'm gonna head up one of these buildings to gain some height."

For the others, it was their first time getting pulled through realities, and it left them all with a full body tingle, just like when part of you fell asleep, and then woke up again.

Yuuki listened intently to the objectives, confirming them with a quick scan of her own phone. Odd app that, not that her phone was too tricked out for the older model it was. Three new phone numbers in her contacts though,  creatively labeled 'One', 'Three', and 'Four'. She exhaled before shifting back a few steps from the others, expression losing it's false smile entirely. She'd put the mask back up when she needed it.

"If this doesn't work now, please accept that 1) the magic doesn't fight me as much if I yell the phrases out and 2) I'm still me, I'm just... just... Look, think Sailor Moon, okay? That's my power basically," the shrine maiden forced out with as little emotion as possible before inhaling in resolution.

"Hokaido Fertile Guardian Expression!" the short girl called with an undertone of frustration, bracing herself as a storm of pink sakura petals engulfed her in a localized tornado of color and light.

Nothing could be seen as the sphere expanded before scattering to the winds, a beam of warm green light blazing into the sky and gently depositing Yuuki back to the concrete ground. Someone anyway. This young woman was tall and slender and eye-catching even if her hair hadn't been verdant green and eyes striking gold. Her figure was hugged in black and gold cloth, a green whip coiled at her waist ready for use by steady gloved hands.  

Yuuki's expression was the same though, serious and focused, as the smell of flowers in bloomed wafted towards the trio, "I can swing from and run on buildings like this. Close enough to flight once we decide how to split up."

Vesper shook her head and looked to her left side and up, as if at someone taller than she was standing beside her.

"Go up as far as you can. Let me know if we're walking towards something dangerous."

Then she waved at the others in the group to get their attention, closed her eyes, spun around in a circle twice...then started walking.

"Follow me."

"Or," said Tori as she pulled out her electric Key and thumbed the button, "eh...umm," The tiny sliver disc flew away from it's place growing and unfolding to it's full 20 meter height.

The mech stood gleaming it's cockpit open and waiting "Uh... I don't know....I could...hmm... You know Fly."

Ryan stood there, watching first the transformation sequence, and nearly showing his virtually unknown nerdy side, but he didn't get all that much chance, as Vesper spoke to something, and then spun around, and told them to follow her.   "Okay.."  That was as far as he got before the third girl, Tori, summoned her Gundam.  "Badass, You've got a freaking Gundam!"

He seemed pretty excited, and moved towards it.   "Seriously, you guys got some cool stuff.   Is there enough room in your Gundam...."   He trailed off as they felt it, and heard the loud booming sounds.   Just then a building only a hundred feet away in the direction Vesper was leading them seemingly exploded across the street, and a Gunmetal grey and dark blue robot flew across the wide street and into the building across from it, with sparks erupting from its right shoulder as the right arm, which held a large Mecha-scale axe was ripped away in the impact.   From the hole, a large gout of green flame bathed the downed mech, heating the armor and melting more of it.   

Through the massive hole stalked the first monster the quartet of players would face in this Level.  It was terrible, with massive claws and 4 insectoid legs.   it was some sort of nightmarish horror, and they could hear the approach of even more of the creatures, as it let out a terrible shriek, which was answered by at least 3 more.   

latest?cb=20110904193141

[let's do some combat, Nina, I'm gonna borrow your system at least for now, All of you post your actions, and I will post their resolutions along with the enemy's turn. [/spoiler]

"Get in the gundam we've got to save that mech!"  

Vesper's cool is shaken by the sudden appearance of Tori's 'gundam,' but the sudden eruption of combat just down the street pretty much shatters it completely. Her eyes widen, and she jumps back, lifting her arms defensively.

"What the HELL is that?!" Then she looks angrily up at the sky. "No, really?! You couldn't have said something sooner?! Like, hey, there's some giant fucked up monster behind the building up there?!"

She looked back at the others, then scowled deeply and shook her head. "No way. Let the people with huge robots or whatever do it." After a pause, Vesper added, "I'm tiny. It'll just step on me."

Finally the strange girl rolled her head from side to side and flung her arms up. "Alright! Fine! That's how the...fucking game... No, don't. I'll do it."

With slightly shaking fingers she produces another cigarette and takes a pull on it, then blows the smoke out.

Summoning up all her ennui, Vesper manages to banish all the fear natural to someone facing a giant monster and replace it with a chilly disdain of the sort normally reserved for hobos looking into restaurant windows from outside.

Then she called out, "Hey!" and waved a hand at the creature while making eye contact with the spot that she...was hoping its eyes might be. When she felt the strange sort of 'echo' in her mind that told her it was aware of her, Vesper focused all of her disgust and irritation and bottled up anger into that line of connection between them.

"You suck!"

Mind Blast

Psi Attack: 2d6+6 14

If the creature does not defend, it will take 30 Psychic damage, 25 Energy damage, Mind Drain 2. The damage is Stun damage, so this can't cause permanent injury, but it will still 'stack' with normal damage from other sources.

Oh, kami no. This skipped straight past Evangelion into the realm of manga she had looked at the cover of once and never had again. If the setting wasn't wrong, she'd have jumped straight to trying to sending this thing back to whatever hell of burning embers it hailed from. As it was...

"Try to stay in the circle! Things can leave, but can't enter!" Yuuki yelled with more than a hint of fear, hand beginning to flare green as she focused on creating the seed of her spell in one fist. There. Throbbing. Hungry. Defiant. Every bit as much an unkillable weed as the real thing.

"Sacred Bamboo Grove Ramparts!" the shrine maiden screamed at the monster as she chucked the seed into the rough center of the quartet. A perfect circle of translucent bamboo foliage popped into existence around all four of them, reaching skyward in a heartbeat. Barrier up, she glared at the horror, trying to think of her next step.

Spoiler

Forcefield 10 for everyone but the two mechs and the monster.

Tori raced to her mech and clambered into the lowered cockpit. Flipping switches and taking hold of the controls she fired up the reactors and  the Banshee, what she called the machine, came alive.

"I'm gonna try to draw the attention of the monster away from the other mech. She what you guys can do to help him."

Footfalls shacking the ground with each step the Banshee took off at a trot then with the thunder of the flight engines soared into the air and toward the monster and it's victim. As the range closed, Tori used her targeting system to draw a bead on the monster and strafed as she got within range.

Spoiler

autoguns: 2d6+8 16 I have no idea what i do for damage if i hit

The creature staggered, first under the psychic assault,  which confused it, and then the raking hail of gunfire from the autocannons mounted on the torso of Tori's mech.  Here was a threat it understood as multiple impacts dug into it's flesh, with gouts of blood spraying into the air.  It moved to chase after her, screaming to call its fellows to join it.  It was surprising how fast something so large could move, as it lunged in at Tori and her machine, the big hammer like claw missing tearing up a huge chunk of concrete where it hit the road.   From her new vantage point, Tori could see no less than six of the monsters coming up the street, all intent on taking her down.

Eschewing the shield defense Yuuki had made, Ryan instead head for the wounded creature, running up the wall without issue, a faint blue glow coming from the bottom of his feet, The sword in his hand glowing, and growing.  It was obvious he was going to try for a hit on the "head" from above.

"I'll work on getting the pilot out. You stay safe in here at least, okay?" Yuuki called to, well, 'Four', as she sprinted out of the circle and lashed out with her whip. The verdant length stretched and coiled around a broken piece of rebar on a building, pulling it's wielder half-way up the building to a better vantage point. Gold eyes took in the downed titan, a piece of impossible machinery turning into a tomb with every spray sparks, every heartbeat she wasted looking instead of acting. Their two protectees could be in there for all she knew.

No handles. No hatches. Not front side. But backside maybe if she could get it flipped over..? 

The Banshee braked, spun and hovered as Tori triggered her guns twice at the ugliest monster she had ever seen. Well, actually,  it was the first monster she had ever seen, still it was ugly. "Er..., uh..., Guys there's more of them coming. I count six that I can see."

Tori's voice came over their phones accompanied by the sounds of the gunfire.

Spoiler

autoguns: 2d6+8 19 1st shot

autoguns: 2d6+8 12 2nd shot

Vesper stared in dawning horror as still more of the horrible creatures came scuttling around and over buildings, like giant cockroaches somehow both terrifying and icky in equal measure. She put her left hand to her forehead and swayed a little as vertigo swirled around her.

"Help them Therion. Therion. Therion," she said softly.

Dust exploded in a straight line outward from nearby Vesper, making a beeline for the creature attacking the fallen mecha. There was a hollow sound, like the wind sighing through dead branches, or the last exhalation of a terminally ill man. Then a ringing noise, the song of metal scraping against other metal.

Deep, broad slashes appeared on the monster's hide then from something unseen!

Meanwhile, Vesper herself continued to glare at the creature with steadily growing anger.

"No really," she assured it, her voice carrying unnaturally in the wind to its ears. "You're the worst. And not just at one thing, you're literally the worst at everything you're trying to be. I've seen five-year olds more threatening than you. I've seen grandmas at the beach that are uglier." Vesper blew another puff of smoke out. "You're nothing."

The unseen assailant's attacks were the final straw,  the cuts were deep and cut through organs the creature needed to live, and it haplessly flopped into a pile of tissue on the pavement with a wet impact they'd not forget.  With one creature down, and given the way it died, the reaction of the other creatures was somewhat surprising.   They charged, 3 going after Tori, one going towards the downed mecha, and the last going towards Vesper, who was seemingly undefended.    It was right then That they saw Ryan Leap from high up on the building, The sword in his hand growing larger, nearly six feet in length, even as it's shape changed from a normal blade to a huge dual edged daiklaive.   He hit the trailing creature going after Tori, and with a single slash, separated the head part of the creature from it before landing, standing on the side of a building across from it, as the creature fell.   His hands and feet were wreathed in blue runic lines of script, and he smiled.   "Headshot."     How exactly he'd pulled it off was a matter for later, but it did significantly cut the odds against them.

Yuuki was only peripherally aware of the fight, the lion's share of her attention on a nearly-dead tree next to the downed mech. There. That was the way. Still hanging from her whip on the side of the building with her feet bracing against the wall, she pointed at the forlorn plant, green glow building in her whole body. The magic rustled and fluttered through her veins, denying aid unless she did one simple thing.

"Bounded Field Blooming!" the shrine maiden called, shaking her head as the glow pulsed out into the ground and structures around her before collapsing into her woody target. For a moment, nothing. Then new leaves sprouted on branches bearing fresh, strong bark. Concrete shattered as the tree exploded in girth, depth, and height. Yuuki's free hand directed the unnatural growth to purpose, swift sure movements that had the mech securely braced and pushed onto it's side with an almighty clang.

Spoiler

Plant Control!

2D6+13 => 22

When the creature had come apart under the Therion's scythe blade, Vesper felt a chill run down her back. She'd thought it might distract the creature, or weaken it so the giant robots could finish the job. Instead it had slaughtered the monster completely! That was what this thing that dogged her steps could do, if it was moved to.

Then more of the giant, bizarre leviathans showed up and when one of them came at HER, she nearly lost it and ran. It was HUGE. Did they even feel her powers? She couldn't TELL. What she could tell was that it was moving a lot faster than she could. Those long legs carried it with terrifying speed. So Vesper lifted her arms and crossed them at the wrist. Rocks and gravel and bits of twigs and old dried leaves began swirling in circle around her feet, whipped up by a sudden and contained wind. The breeze wasn't what she was protecting herself with, of course. The dust storm and wind were just byproducts of the barriers she was creating.

It still felt pitifully weak compared to the size of this brute, but it was all she had.

"Therion!" she yelled. "Help!"

Then she locked eyes with oncoming doom and flung as much malice at it as she could muster!

(Force Field is 20 points of armor)

Mind blast (30 damage, psychic, drain mind 2, drain 25 energy): 2d6+6 12

Almost immediately there was that roaring, rushing, whooshing noise. Even invisible, the sun overhead Vesper seemed to ripple and dim as the spirit's influence fell over her. Perhaps to distract the creature, the Therion exploded into visibility, coalescing from nothingness into a smoky figure of a billowing, hooded dark robe that concealed all the features of the thing within it, wielding a huge scythe of molded black iron and shadows. It dove down onto the monster charging Vesper and swung its implement around in a full circle, fast enough that the follow-through slashed at it again before Therion stopped moving to survey the results.

Therion attack/attack, 72 damage/hit, Spreading 3: 2d6+8 15 2d6+8 16

WMgueyP.jpg&key=1b4c8b2cff1aececa173fcc5

Tori flitted the Banshee around and angled her targeting reticule. There were too many of them to go one at a time. if we did that they would get us from attrition. She made some fast calculations then locked on to the monster in the middle of the pack.

She swooped up high clearing all the building and the Buster cannon flipped up over the shoulder and with a low boom  spit out two blazing energy bolts one after the other.

Spoiler

cannon shot 1: 2d6+8 17   cannon shot 2: 2d6+8 14 if they hit they are area 3 and 110 damage

The creatures engulfed by Tori's attacks both let out loud anguished screams as their flesh melted under the hellish fire of the buster canons' attacks.   As She caught them both, Ryan launched himself back through the air, this time making two attacks on the trailing creature, felling it for good as he sliced the head clean away after Tori's attacks.

The creature heading at Vesper Reared up raising one of the hammer like claws to flatten her, even as her psychic assault battered it's miniscule mind, and there was the sound of the air being sliced, and then the raised claw fell back onto the broken pavement, severed from the arm, and jetting blood.   The creature screamed and brought around the other claw, which swiped a foot over her head barely missing decapitating the young psychic.

The Final one was undetterred as the nearly dead tree seemingly burst into a vibrant and massive oak, it's thick branches now obscuring its path, and holding up the disabled mech on its right side.   On the back of the mech, she could see a seam open, as two hands appeared out of the widening hatch, it seemed the pilot was alright after all.

Exhaling in relief, Yuuki spared 'Four' a momentarily look of apology before letting go of her hold over her magic protecting the dark clad girl. Ryan had her covered. The spectral thicket withered and died in a heartbeat even as the black-clad shrine maiden kicked off from her perch and whip reached out to bring her around to a perfect three-point landing on a branch adjacent to the widening hatch.  

A seed appeared in her clenched fist, illuminating her features from below as she rose to her feet. The shrine maiden half-turned and chucked the seed at the ground below her.

"Sacred Bamboo Grove Ramparts!" she called out before turning to face the hatch fully, backlit by the miraculous foliage sprouting between them and the oncoming beast, a beaming smile of reassurance popping into being on her striking features from long practice, voice soothing, "I've got you. Let's get you to safety."

Spoiler

Forcefield 10 down around Vesper.

Forcefield 10 up around Yuuki, Mysterious Pilot X, and, I think, the tree.

Tori swooped in toward the Lead monster er power reserves running low and not knowing how many more of these things they would have to face she changed tactic. Coming in low she flipp and fired her breaking jets cutting all power at the last second she crashed to the ground and executed a nearly flawless spinning back kick witch connected with the monsters face.

Spoiler

spinning mech kick: 2d6+8 16  damage was 58 i think you said

As she spun she triggered her Combat Blade and a huge sword like edged weapon  shot from a concealed section of Banshee's right arm to extend out over her clenched fist.  Blade in place she finished her spin and drove the giant knife into the monsters chest.

Spoiler

knife attack: 2d6+8 19 damage 98

Vesper inhaled to scream, and instead channeled all of the surge of anger and terror into another wave of malevolent psychic energy that crashed over the monster's cerebellum and overloaded yet more of its oversized neurons! In the world of flesh and blood she scrambled backwards, trying to get some distance between her and it now that the protection given her was gone!

"No," she protested, "No...Therion kill it!"

The Therion soared down to interpose itself between her and the monster...ludicrously tiny compared to it, but the inhuman blood dripping from its black-bladed instrument was proof that it could not be taken lightly. The translucent cowled cloak rippled as it spun the scythe around, and thrust it towards the bizarre alien monster, slashing it repeatedly!

Mind blast (30 damage, psychic, drain mind 2, drain 25 energy): 2d6+6 15

Therion attack/attack, 72 damage/hit, Spreading 3: 2d6+8 13 2d6+8 18

It was an impressive show and Even Ryan paused, as he readied himself for another leaping strike to finish off the last of the three creatures that had gone after Tori.   He didn't need to it turned out, as Tori had the situation in hand knocking the creature from its feet with a Savage kick that they all heard bones breaking from, as bits of teeth showered the battlefield.   With her Combat Knife she ended it, as she split the beast's heart, bisecting it completely.  When she withdrew the blade blood gushed out.

Down the first street they'd emerged on, Therion heed his mistress commands,  Slicing through the remaining arm and then the creature's head even as its mind broke under the mental assault from Vesper.   

That left only one of the creatures still on the field, and it unleashed the attack that they'd first seen one use, a Torrent of green flames from the mouth, Bathing the defensive barrier errected by Yuuki with hellish green light.   Nothing got through the shield, but Yuuki could feel the shield's effectiveness drop.   (will be effectively 9 ranks vs next attack)   The creature seemed to not regard the loss of all its comrades, it was fixed on killing those before it.

The pilot only nodded,  It was a woman, She could now see, and took the offered hand, Even as the creature raged before them.

The outermost members of the spectral grove died in green fire, bringing an echo of phantom pain to Yuuki with it. She managed to keep all but the faintest of winces from her face, pulling the other woman to her side. She kept the smile up, trying to maintain the confidence in her helmed-and-plugsuited rescuee, monster or no monster.

"Hold on. I'm getting us clear while my... the others kill it," she put out, not quite entirely certain what to call her so-called teammates yet, "This'll be over soon, and we can introduce ourselves properly."

With that, the shrine maiden kicked off the branch, one arm tight around the other woman, whip lashing out to anchor itself and shift their momentum into an upward arc. World spinning around her, Yuuki angled herself to take the brunt of their landing. She closed her golden eyes as they cleared the lip of the roof, bracing internally for the thud and bounce.

Spoiler

Vine Swinging from Danger!

2D6+6 => 15

The Monster watched the two girls swinging away after it had smashed the shield with it's horrible green breath. It took a step back and shafted to bring it's weapon to bear on the building Yuuki and her charge landed on when  suddenly, it was showered with debris!

The building beside it had  exploded as the Gleaming Mech piloted by Tori, smashed through it and came to a skidding halt wrapping it's arms tight around the monsters torso and lifting spinning and slamming it to the ground!

Spoiler

Judo Slam!: 2d6+8 18

With Yuuki swinging to safety carrying the pilot that left the others to deal with the final creature.  Tori's stunning entrance and martial arts move immobilized the creature stunning it, and giving Ryan All the opportunity he needed,  his sword flashing quickly twice in succession, cleaving through the head and neck of the stunned monster before landing only a few feet from Vesper with a smile, his weapon vanishing and a look of relief on his face.   "Alright, that's done.   I'm gonna need a minute or two and then we can keep going.  That said, I recommend that Tori picks us up and we ride with her, all together somewhere abit safer, where we can see them coming.  A city's okay to fight in, but there's next to no warning if more of these things head towards us."  He was speaking into his phone, so all three of the other players could hear, though Vesper could easily as she was right there.   

He looked to Vesper and smiled.  "You okay?"

Vesper's attention was entirely focused, perhaps forgiveably, on the giant monsters who had just been incapacitated. When she heard something behind her, she sucked in a breath and whirled around, eyes wide and hands raised defensively.

Almost immediately a shadow fell over both her and Ryan. The Therion, while much smaller than the monsters, was quite large in comparison to a couple of teenagers.

"No!" Vesper blurted, whirling to face the hovering creature and throwing both of her arms out. "He just startled me. It's all right."

The impenetrable void under the hood of the Therion's cassock stayed focused on Ryan for a long moment...then the shadows that made up its body blurred together and faded away, leaving nothing in their wake but a lingering chill in the air.

Vesper let her breath out and turned back around. "It's better not to try to sneak up on me," she said in her customary deadpan voice. " Her eyes cut to one side then, towards the smoldering ruin of one of the giant bug-things. "I'm all right. What are those things?"

Yuuki was giving the lion's share of attention to the mysterious pilot, helping her sit up, giving her the once over for obvious wounds and finding no sign of them. Good. And with the last monster dead... The others knew where she was.

"My name is Ryougi Yuuki. What's yours? Are you okay? How many fingers am I holding up?" she gently probed, holding up the classic 'V for victory' in front of the pilot's face before adding more softly,  "Was there anyone else inside the mech who needs help?"

The shrine maiden really, really wanted her brother to be here. He was the one with *actual* first aid training if there was anything wrong or another pilot in worse shape inside the mech. Still, she knew enough to make sure that this one was fine before trying to force her to go anywhere or probe harder.

Once they were all inside the somewhat cramped cockpit of the Gundam, Tori took off, and a minute later set down in a clearing Well away from the city.  The Pilot cracked the seal on her helmet, revealing Dark brown eyes and asian features.  She removed her helmet and looked at the four strangers.  "Who the hell you, and how can you fight the Anvaari without a mecha?  Speaking of Mecha, I've never seen one so sleek as this, and with such amazing response time..."   Ryan held up a hand, to forestall the rush of questions.   "We can answer all that, but you're gonna have to answer some questions for us too."

The pilot looked at him  and nodded.   "Alright, I guess I should at least introduce myself to the people who saved me.  I am Ryoko Akisa, Captain of the UFE's 13th Squadron, and the last survivor."

Ryan nodded.  "Pleasure to meet you Ryoko, glad we could help you out of a tight spot.  My name's Ryan Church, I'll let my comrades introduce themselves, and answer your other questions."

"Nice to have a name to call you other than 'Four', Vesper-San," Yuuki couldn't help but comment a little snidely before turning an apologetic smile on Ryoko, "You'll have to forgive her, Akisa-San. With the exception of one of us, we're all very, very new at this. We are here to help though. Our... patron sent us to help you win this fight, little as he told us about the dangers you're facing."

The green-haired shrine maiden laughed musically, more than a little self mocking. Dear kami, if *this* was a part of the Duty she;d have to get used to, she'd need to practice a better version of this spiel.

"Actually, you're one of two people we've been told to keep an eye out for. You wouldn't happen to know where a Junichiro Adai and some sort of HQ for something called the 'Oceanic Alliance' are?"

Ryoko's eyes narrowed, and she looked at Yuuki pointedly.   "The Oceanic Alliance Is headquartered in Sydney, Australia.   It's at their behest that We launched a fleet operation to take down the Hive in Japan.   Why do they matter, aside that?"  There was definitely bad blood there, and her whole demeanor had changed.   "As for Adai, he's the Captain of First Squadron, which is Fighting over on Okinawa at the old United States Base.   Supposedly there's expirimental tech there that we need to crack open the Hive's outer shell."

Yuuki's jaw worked in anger, lips pressing to a thin bloodless line. She'd been avoiding thinking about the idea of anyone nuking sacred Mount Fuji. If it had been a group of her countrymen on a desperate last stand basis, that was one thing. Barely. But a group of foreigners not in line with her country... Even if this hadn't been one of the GM's insane objectives, she'd have cared very, very much.

"I don't know if you're aware. I hope the situation here isn't nearly that bad. But they seem to be planning to nuke Mount Fuji in a misguided effort to kill one of your 'Swarm Queens'," she ground out, losing all traces of her false smile, voice nearly a growl, "It... Won't help. Stopping *that travesty* is also important to our patron."

The anger danced in her eyes like fire, "So, Captain Akisa-San, help us help you."  

Archived