ABERRANT: WEIRDER STUFF SEASON TWO - EPISODE ONE - "WELCOME TO THE NEW AGE"

WS ST

Okay that made sense. So 'quantum' protected a key and you could extend it to protect your stuff, too, but some really smart people or aliens or whatever made super suits to do that automatically AND shapeshift. She *really* wanted one now. 

News about nodes made her frown a little, thinking back on brains in jars and sick, street kids with powers. What the hell had the Navy been playing at? If they couldn't do healthy sheep, what made them think they could get away with cloning keys?

"Right. It's just... You're real life super heroes. Pretty sure you're on a lunchbox somewhere. Hard to not feel like I have everything to prove. But I'll take it down a notch," Jeane answered with a sigh, "And that was... Intense. Scary but I'll deal. I can handle it."

She chomped down on the rest of her words, the might have beens revolving around her own Dad and his getting thrown into the void if he opened fire on a clear and present danger like Ronin or smashed by the Crusher's rocket hammer. Marines were tough, but Keys were in their own weight class entirely. He was clear now in some suburb in Kansas no doubt, out of the line of fire. So she would stop thinking about it.

"Right! So let's go this way," the blonde daredevil rallied, starting off down tunnel again, "Any other mind-blowing revelations I need to get out of the way?" 

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Kia embracing him from behind, he stopped his work in the control room, She was likely the only person who would get him to stop working so, and he placed his hands on hers reassuringly.   "He did, and your father knew exactly what he was doing when he did it.   He stayed likely to oversee the safe removal of all equipment and data within the project to their new safe location.   Once we have everything here up and running, I'll make sure you get to speak with your dad."

James looked up with a smile  'Yeah, I can take you there, once they tell us where exactly they're going."   Abel nodded a silent thank you to his younger friend, and looked back to Kia.  "You're not a terrible friend Kia, you're a great one.   Lily is where she needs to be right now, and Given that I suspect our families are also there, i feel abit more relaxed because i know Lily is there.  She's taken a hard hit emotionally, but I know if push came to shove, she'd do everything in her power to protect everyone around her."   It was about the most positive thing they'd heard him say of Lily in a long time.  "Don't think any of us aren't thinking about our families, we all are, but we have work we have to do.   I'd love to send everyone to their families, but we need to stay together for now at least. "

There was of course more to it for him.  He felt responsible for them all.   Mariah, James, and Jeane and their families, all in danger, having to be evacuated, because of either their association with him, or his decision bring Jeane along with them.   It went further, as their constant exposure to the low level quantum he emit for so long served as a catalyst for all of the irregulars being drawn into the insanity their lives had become.   Still he smothered those thoughts and smiled.   "We will come back from all this, and it starts with getting everything here up and running.   Yes, I could contact your father, telepathically, and if you ask me to do it I will, but I don't think now is the time.   Because you're with us, he knows you are safe, and that is a relief to him."   

He did finally turn around within her embrace, hugging her back and smiling.   "IF you want to help us, You can help with setting up the dishes and running the wires, I bet some of the critters you make would be rather adept at it."

Even as he spoke he was exploring the faint almost ghost contact on his mental shield.  Something had definitely tried to reach his mind.   Quickly he tried to bactrack the signal, but even with his impressive abilities, was unable.   More than that, He found that he couldn't actually communicate with the outside world mentally.  There was something to be said for These Nuclear silos, they were absolute fortresses of overengineering as this was his first time in such a facility with this level of difficulty.   "Matter of Fact, you can help me with it, since it will be easier with me there to get it set up."

He sent his real reason for going with her himself to both of them.  <someone or something just tried to contact me mentally.  With all the reinforcements in this complex, Even I can't backtrack the signal from here.  I need to go topside to find out what's going on.  Given that the only other thing that ever showed that much mental oomph is in a jar with a computer monitor interposed with it, I can't imagine it is that, So yeah, I want to check this out.>

PLANET APALON
NIGHT

Lilly paused outside the shelter and stared up at the blue night sky and the three moons dancing in their orbit. The two smaller bodies locked in orbit with one another, visibly moving to the naked eye as they spun about in the greater orbit of the planet. And the third moon, red like mars, larger by half than Earths moon, following along behind the other two like some giant guardian. A sense of vertigo, She was on another planet. Not for the first time. but seeing this really brought it home. This was another world.

Then she felt it the static charge in her head and tingling down through her body.

Quantum

Her node was going crazy. She strode out into the center of the camp. Guards saw and recognized her so none interfered, she slowly turned sensing and then she saw it a bubble of quantum swirling like a  miniature galaxy in and around one of the shelters.

In a bust of speed Lilly covered the distance in the blink of an eye and pulled open the door, the noise waking the only sleeping occupant of the small hut. Sheriff Hutchins sat up hand reaching for his gun when he froze, He saw Lilly outlined in the open door and paid her no mind. His eyes were only for his daughter and the boy, Kyle, who were floating in the middle of the hut suspended by nothing

Lilly stare in alarm and some fear. She saw what Hutchins saw and so much more. She saw the Quantum flowing like a river out of Kyle pooling around them, more quantum than she had ever seen before, swirling orbiting around them then flowing back into Sara.

• Nina pinned this topic

CAMP CENTURY
GREENLAND

While Abel and Kia spoke and James and the others started unpacking the comm dishes and their assorted games, Sean headed top-side to stake out placeement for the dishes. Connectable poles for a pylon to support the comm dishes were over her shoulder, enough that it would take several strong men to carry, though she handled them with ease. Her dark bodysuit had shifted to a mottled white and grey that wouldn't stand out against the terrain and a hood covered her vibrant, multicoloured hair.

Dramatic appearance aside, Sean knew how to move circumspectly and stealthily and her heightened awareness allowed to her to sense instantly when she was being observed and as such, she suggested she go up first. It was reasonable, but mostly she wanted to move about and do something, rather than sit in the Control Center.

The huge blast doors groaned open and Sean stepped outside and inhaled sharply, the cold biting at her lungs and cheeks. She glided out of the man-made trench the camp entrance sat in, the sides sloped and worn with neglect, her eyes narrowed against the glare of the sun reflecting off pristine snow and ice. With nothing obstructing her view, Sean could see all the way to the horizon.

She glanced up and around before turning her turquoise eyes back to the horizon. The only thing she could see or sense watching her was an arctic fox that had paused on a ridgeline at the sound of the doors. She blew him a kiss. The only sounds was the whisper of wind, the hissing of blown snow, and the creak of ice. It was surprisingly soothing.

CAMP CENTURY
GREENLAND

Sean started to look around for the best place to set up the antennas when she felt the vibration and heard the alert warble of her phone. With a glance back at Kia and Abel who were just exiting the huge blast door themselves. she pulled the phone out as she saw Abel put a hand on Kia's should stopping her from going further.

Abel felt the mental handshake as soon as they cleared the door <Sage, my name is Frank Dobbs, you don't know me but I work...worked with Gen Pryor We have an emergency and we need the Irregulars back at head quarters. There is an on going quantum event in Canada>

Sean  saw McKeller's name on the phone she answered, "Savant here."

"Savant, we have a problem. Your space station is picking up a quantum event in the Canadian Rockies. It relayed the alert to the Alien Mission in San Francisco who contacted us. We do not have eyes on the scene. But we are picking up chatter on local communications Not sure if it's a natural event or an attack but we can't take the chance that it may be Ronin. We need the Irregulars."

<No Mr. Dobbs, but I'd like to meet you, when this is over.  We just got a message from McKellar asking us to go back to base to help with a Quantum Event in The Canadian Rockies, so I'm inclined to believe you.  I will round up the others and We'll head to Bulwark.  Is there anymore you can tell us now?>

<Sean, I just got contacted by someone who worked with the General who pretty much just asked us for the same exact thing, help with a disturbance in the Canadian Rockies.  Don't mention it in your conversation though.   I hesitate to bring Jeane, but I know we can use her help.   We can leave Mariah, James, and Blitz here to finish setting up for us, and James can Gate us there.>

Abel kept his hand on Kia's shoulder, even though he said nothing, The signs that he was speaking telepathically with someone evident.   

Kia paused when Abel stopped walking and looked back at him. His face was still, his eyes unfocused. She could see the minute jiggles in the muscles of his jaw though, like watching someone daydream or talk to themselves. Or talk to others...if it was telepathic. But it wasn't an Irregular, or the 'guild chat' would work, wouldn't it?

Of course, they could use that to talk privately too.

"Who is it?" she murmured quietly, trying to tell from his expression if this was good news he was hearing or bad.

CAMP AZURE
PLANET APALON

NIGHT

Lilly stood there in a mixture of shock, fear and awe at she saw happening before her. She had never seen anything like this, and her first reaction was fear for the safety of both Sara and Kyle.

"Mr/ Hutchins, I need you to stay back, okay?" she said as she held her hand out, palm forward and fingers up in the classic 'stop' position, while her eyes remained on Sara and Kyle.

"Kyle!" she called out to the young boy, though she suspected it to be a futile effort.

"What are you doing, Kyle? You don't know what you're dealing with here. Her node... it sucks up quantum. It will drain you and might kill you " she said to the boy., fearing what may happen if this were to continue.

On a certain level the thought occurred to her that the pair might be able to cure one another. Kyle's ability to channel such large amounts of quantum might be able to finally satisfy the hunger of Sara's node., and if there were to happen, if it were even possible, then who knew what the result might be. Lilly feared what being a conduit for such a large amount of quantum might to to Kyle though. Maybe it would 'burn out' his node, but then again, it might simply kill him, and trading his life for Sara's was not an option for Lilly. She cared about them both, and did not want to lose another person she cared about today.

CAMP CENTURY
CORRIDOR

"I don't know. I think that is enough to let sink in for the moment. There is a lot to take in, some of which you may know from the tv, but there is always more. For now, small steps. You got to walk before you can run." the Lilly duplicate explained, moving along with Jeane.

CAMP AZURE
PLANET APALON

NIGHT

"What... what's happening?" an obviously shocked Sheriff Hutchins whispered as if afraid making a sound might cause harm to his daughter and the kid.

Lilly shook her head and moved closer to the floating pair. Both were floating facing each other their eyes wide open but staring at nothing. The seemed alright beyond that But Lilly's senses knew that there was more going on.

Despite the quantum light show only she could see, the flow of power was one way. It was leaving Kyle and going into Sara. Whats more she could feel two active nodes. And everything that Sean had told her about Sara was that Sara's node was dead. She could also tell That Kyle's node which had registered  as huge when she had originally pinged him was now less than half the size it had been.

Spoiler

available for questions

CAMP CENTURY

CORRIDOR

Jeane hummed in response, eyes roaming over an arrow marked 'dining hall' that pointed down another tunnel to their right. Maybe later...

"Say, Vang... Er, Lilly? Do Irregulars get paid? Sage and Tease mentioned something about salaries in their big fight on the way to the park, but I was too busy trying to not get kicked out of 'auditions' to think about it. There are some things I'll probably need to get that I'd rather not ask Sage to make with his brain."

"Also, what are your super..," Jeane added, halting to correct herself, "Your quantum powers? Aside from there being two of you. If it's not rude to ask."

CAMP CENTURY
GREENLAND

Sean looked over at Abel at his mental update and nodded as she held her phone to her ear. Her other hand swung the pylon and antennae poles from her shoulder and placed it against the spar of rock rising from the flat surroundings outside the Camp. <Perhaps a bit too convenient the two of them contacting us at the same despite...>

"Very well, McKellar," Sean responded after a moment, her tone cool, not hiding her displeasure. Her breath plumed the air like cigarette smoke. "I'll gather the others and meet you in a few minutes. I do expect some answers soon rather than more requests, however. Savant out."

Sean nodded at Abel and Kia, tilting her head back to the open blast doors of Camp Century. "Something's up in Canada," Sean answered Kia, despite her question being directed at Abel. "A quantum event in the Rockies, cause unknown and they need some eyes on site, in case it's..."

Sean left her worry unvoiced, but the name hung in the air at the same, as she began striding back to the entrance. "I have a few things I want to grab from my gear then let's gather up any Irregular willing to go."

Reentering Camp Century, Sean peeled the hood from her head, shaking out her sunset hair, knocked the snow from her boots, then began striding down the corridor, determination emanating from every movement despite the graceful, sensual sway to her hips. Her lips were pursed in consideration, reviewing anything she had heard or read about that region of Canada and any relation to Keys or Quantum Events.

Sean quirked a fair brow as she secured her tactical harness over her bodysuit - back to its dark colour - when saw Tease rush down a crossing corridor, as best she could in those heels - missing Sara as she did, Sean still appreciated the sight. <Did she get a warning too? Doubtful - that isn't quite the expression I would expect...>

"Tease!" Sean called out, lengthening her stride to catch up to dark-tressed beauty. "Where are you hurrying off to? McKellar just called to ask the Irregulars to check something out in Western Canada. Unknown cause."

Sean's eyes said it might or might not be her brother, but her expression didn't suggest if Tease should come or stay, but left the decision entirely up to her without any judgement. It wasn't up to her to decide what risks - especially in this case, where the risk could be family - others should take.

CAMP AZURE
PLANET APALON

NIGHT

Lilly watched the floating pair in front of her, trying to make sense of what she was seeing. Kyle's node was less than half of it's original size, and still shrinking, somehow flooding Sara's node with quantum, making it active again. She was not sure if it was temporary, or if he had managed to finally fill the apparent black hole that was Sara's node, or maybe even jumpstart it.

"I... I think they might be helping each other." she replied to Sara's dad, never taking her eyes off of what was transpiring in front of her.

"I can see the flow of energy. His node.. it was so big that it was killing him. It looks like it is shrinking by giving the energy to Sara, and in the process re-activating her own node." she explained and then looked to Mr. Hutchins. 

"She is saving his life, and might be getting her powers back in the process. But sir, if it looks like it is not going to stop and might kill Kyle, then I am going to stop it. Because if it comes down to it, and I really hope it doesn't, I am not going to trade his life for her powers." she clarified to him before looking back at Kyle and Sara.

Lilly edged closer, holding a hand out before her. She knew this was dangerous and possibly life threatening, but she was not going to lose another person. Not today. She readied her node, hoping that if she caught in the pull that she might be able to drawn the quantum back into herself and sever the connection before anything happened. If she had to, she would pull Kyle away, figuring enough distance would probably sever the connection between Kyle and Sara.

"Stay back." she cautioned and reached out, placing a hand on Kyle's wrist as she extended her sense into his body in an attempt to better understand what was happening.

CAMP CENTURY

CORRIDOR

"We do not get a paycheck and superhero W-2, if that is what you mean." Lilly replied, attempting a bit of levity. 

"We have various sources of income, and we'll help you get set up too. For now though, if there anything you need, do not worry about it. We got you covered." she said as she looked around continued, "present situation not withstanding." she added.

"As far as powers. Hmm.. Have you seen Captain America in the MCU movies?" Lilly asked, drawing a nod from Jeane.

"He's pretty awesome. You're like him?" she asked.

"Actually, I am more like him when my powers are shut off." Lilly teased.

"Honestly though, I really do not talk about my abilities much. We never really had to as we all were enhanced together, aside from Charlie. So we all kinda knew what we could do and watched each other grow." she said as she thought about all she could do. 

"You know, I never really realized all I had learned to do. It might sound like a lot, but this has been the result of a lot of training and usage of my powers too." she explained.

Lilly took in a breath and sighed.

"I guess because I was such a dedicated athlete, an Olympic hopeful, actually,  before my enhancement, my powers seem to have became an extension of that, so okay. Here goes...

I am super fast and agile, as you saw. I can jump miles, run at mach speeds, and swim that fast too, if I really push it. I'm super strong too. Like... 'casually juggle main battle tanks' or 'crush coal into diamond with my bare hands' strong. You do not need to worry though. I worked hard to get full control over it so I do not accidentally crush a hand in a handshake or punch some guy's head clean off or whatever.

Probably my most outstanding, though rarely really seen power, is my super toughness... like 'nigh invulnerable' toughness. Anything probably short of a nuke is, at best, a minor annoyance. And if something does manage to actually harm me, it is always very minimal and I heal super fast. I do not feel pain either, though I never had much of an issue with pain before either. 

I can also kind of super change my, or another's, body. Increasing their strength, agility and toughness. It wares off after a bit, but it sure helped a lot when we new KEYs. And related to that, I can heal people's injuries and supercharge their immune systems and stuff to purge drugs, viruses, poisons and stuff.

More recently though, I think from being around Kia and watching how she shapeshifts, I've learned to make temporary alterations to my body. Like growing fur, or claws, or owl eyes. During the Capetown Incident, I grew wings so I could save falling people and then gills and find and stuff to swim better. So I can adapt to any environment too.

And then you got the power that let's me be with my mom, but another me be here at the same time. I can make duplicates of myself. They are not some mindless minions or whatever. They are all me. Exact same memories, personality, training, powers, clothing, weapons and everything. The only difference is that they cannot make duplicates of themselves. So though I am with my mom, I am here too. When we meet up again, we can kind of merge and get to share what we each learned and experienced when we were apart. 

Like, all the duplicates are still me. I wish I was there with my mom, but I also know that I am, or at least another me is and when we meet up, it will be like I was there, because I was. It's kind of weird to think of, I know. But she went to be with mom and I stayed here to protect everybody. That is what I do, I guess, and why I chose that codename. The Vanguard are the forces in the front, the tip of the spear. I put myself out in front to shield and protect the others. And with my ability to duplicate, I can form an actual vanguard.

"What about you? I mean, I saw that tree hacked to bits from what looked like a machete or axe or something. What do you do? Turn your hands into swords like the liquide metal Terminator in that old movie or something?" she asked.

4 hours ago, Sean Cassidy said:

"Tease!" Sean called out, lengthening her stride to catch up to dark-tressed beauty. "Where are you hurrying off to? McKellar just called to ask the Irregulars to check something out in Western Canada. Unknown cause."

"Sean!"  Tease seemed (oddly enough) pleased to see her.  "I need a P.A.T. or a P.A.N. or a whatever suit and a ride home!  I think I can find my brother!  We both have character flaws, like, I'm better than everyone else and I just can't help that so the world hates me, I get that."  It was amazing that she honestly believed that, there wasn't a singe word she just uttered that she did not believe.  "But Devin!  Devin is an egomaniac.  The only thing he love more than being super powered is..."

"Himself." Sean said coyly.

"Exactly!  He religiously keeps a video diary of everything he does, daily," She was speaking fast, but seemed to have calmed some now that she'd found her quarry.  "If I can find it we might figure out what happened to him, or even what his endgame is... wait... Western Canada?  That's not my brother, he hates Canada, doesn't even think it's a real place.  Must be serious if they need the Irregulars though, let's go check it out."

Through much effort, Jeane managed to convince herself that Lilly's epic laundry list of powers was a benchmark to work towards and not an effort to intimidate her into giving up. Not that she would. 

"Not even," she rebutted lightly with a chuckle as she amped up her powers again, feeling the cold melt away, "I can see *all the weapons* in my head, and the itch in my palm lets me pull one into my hand. But only one at a time. Weightless but hurts with just a tap."

A red sparking dagger appeared in her left hand, glowing and crackling there before evaporating as a smaller copy of Crusher's hammer popped into existence in the right hand. She held out the hilt to Lilly red-lit face grinning, "You can take it if you want, for the next 10 seconds anyway before it disappears without my direct quantum. The rest... Well, don't need to eat, sleep, get tired, or breath. Always comfortable. Way tougher than I used to be, and the one time I did get hurt enough to break my leg while power testing, it didn't really hurt and I fixed it up. Muscles looked weird far as I could tell... Faster, a little bit stronger than I was."

"I can damp it all down, too. Go back to being normal me. Although, it sounds like this 'node' is a muscle and the more I use it, the faster I can get it strong enough to slow down bullies like... Well, sorry, but Ronin, so I may leave it on longer than I have. Are there quantum stretches you guys have found? Warm ups? Cool downs? Don't want to hurt it when I find an empty storeroom here and a camera to record my every mistake to learn from." 

CAMP CENTURY

CORRIDOR

"That is so cool." Lilly said as she accepted the weapon and tested the balanced with a few slashes, flips and an effortless spin of the dagger's point on the tip of her finger before handing it back to Jeane.

"Maybe with some training and practice, they will probably last longer and you might even be able to make, like, a forcefield, or armor or other objects. I mean, really is just comes down to changing the shape of what you are creating. Our powers are the cards we are dealt, so sometimes you have to get creative with them or change the way you look at them."

"And yeah, the node is kind of like a muscle. The more you use it, the better you get at using it. As best as I can tell, using our powers does not really use our node directly. We all have a reserve of energy. If you have every really pushed yourself, then I am sure you have felt it. The node limits how much of that reserve we can channel in a given time, and it is channels the quantum to refill your reserve. The only way to real way to exercise it, essentially, is to use your powers a lot. The more use use them in a short period, the more it has to channel to power those abilities and to recharge you.

Like all things though, it should be done with a degree of moderation. Just like killing yourself in the gym every day for a week can do more harm than good, the same goes for the node. Like Kyle.." Lilly sighed

"When is sensed his node, I felt like it was as strong as mine. The thing is, my node has grown and, I guess, 'evolved' to the a point that it has actually decentralized, and is now several much smaller nodes spread out in my brain, that all work together. His node should have done that too if it was that strong, but instead is was just a single, huge lump. It's like it was was force grown, and it is killing him. I fixed what I could, but in time the bad stuff will come back. I mean, I can keep fixing his body indefinitely, but I would rather find him a cure. When all this is over, maybe we can." she said, hopefully.

Lilly forced a small smile and gave Jeane a pat on the shoulder.

"You see, here is the thing about being a KEY. You cannot let your powers define you. If you do, then you lose your humanity and cease being 'you'. Our powers are tools, not a crutch. If you are nothing without them, then you are nothing with them. So I learned from the very beginning, how to shut down my node to turn off my powers. I do not need to eat or sleep or breath either, like you, but I still do. I turn off my powers, a lot, actually, because I do not want to forget who I am and what it is to be human. When things as simple as eating and sleeping are irrelevant to you, much less gunfire and stuff other major stuff, then you start to lose your ability to relate to normal people. When that happens, then you start to think of them as 'lesser' or whatever, and then it becomes really easy to justify all sorts of shit to yourself.

Never forget who you are."

CAMP CENTURY

CORRIDOR

Jeane blinked as Lilly finished her speech, and broke into a fit of giggles, quantum weapon held in her right hand.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry... You just reminded me so much right there of the traceur who first taught me. Came across as much more of an asshole than you, but equally serious about his craft and compassionate towards the deserving. He kicked my ass in the safest way possible for two months before he even let me *think* about a solo jump over anything big. I'll try to apply the same care here, with my head and my body."

She let the weapon explode into red sparks before lightly slapping her head, "Oh, sorry about the lingo. Traceur is French for 'one who traces', a parkourist. Though it's 'traceuse' if you're talking about a girl. Always meant learn French, but always been more street smart than book smart..." 

"A quantum event? Do you think it's another monster like the whale?" Kia wondered. "It'd be nice if the thing they do to track these events was more specific. If they could get it good enough, maybe it could even find Devin."

She shrugged. "It's too bad he doesn't do social media or anything. Then we could just ask the Facebook guy where he is."

"Okay, lets check out the Rockies. I've never been to the big mountains before. I like the pictures though."

Sean wasn't precisely surprised by Tease's enthusiasm, but her eyes did widen as she reassessed her. "Excellent!" Sean replied. "Let's get the others and check it out. And I'll totally hook you up with a PAM suit - it stands for - never mind, not important now."

As Abel and three girls started moving through the halls with renewed purpose, Sean gave Kia a wry grin. "Even if he does twittergrambook, he teleports - he can be anywhere in the world when he takes a selfie or makes an update before blipping back to his lair."

They found Lilly and Jeane and updated them on the situation, the little they knew of it so far, then met up with James in the Control. "Okay, James, we need to get to Fort Bulwark, but we're making a pit stop first. Do your thing."

James opened his own portal - different, but similar, to those Ronin could form, definitely less sinister after what she had witnessed - and the Irregulars stepped into a room in the Irregular Solutions Labs designated for the purpose. Sean frowned for a moment at how quiet and empty the place was on lockdown with the lights dim full security measures up.

"I'll be right back."

Sean strode away with graceful swiftness, surprisingly fast despite not seeming to hurry as she disappeared into the bowels of Irregular Solutions. Soon she returned with something tucked under her arm. "You get a PAM suit!" she exclaimed in an eerily accurate impression of the Queen of Daytime Television as she tossed a mesh sack towards Tease, who caught the underhand throw easily. "And you get a PAM suit!"  A sack went Jeane's way, another Charlie's. "Everyone. Gets. A. PAM suuuuit!"

Sean snorted, then gestured to a pair of doors to one side of the room. "The unofficial welcome to the Irregulars. If you want, you can change in there -  It'll attune itself to you automatically after you give it a nudge with you own quantum energy - but be quick.. McKellar is waiting and whatever is going on in Canada probably isn't."

Reaching into the mesh bags, the newest Irregulars found a silky, silvery grey fabric that flowed between their fingers almost like water. After giving them the time to change into the form-fitting and surprisingly supportive suits as well as briefly testing out their capabilities and shifting their appearances to their preferences, Sean nodded at the teleporter. "On to Bulwark, James."

In a single step instead of the several thousand between Irregular Solutions and Fort Bulwark, the Irregulars were at the growing Air Force base, standing before McKellar. "The Irregulars are here, McKellar. What's the sitrep?"

GUARDIAN SHIELD HQ

McKeller looked harried as did everyone else. It had been just a little more than an hour since Ronin's attack and they were still trying to pick up the pieces.

“Not much hard information unfortunately. The TT Mission in San Francisco received an automated alert from Watchtower. It picked up a powerful set of QE pulses situated in the Canadian Rockies about twenty minutes ago. Watchtower is out of position for optics on the site and we don't have anything in position either. But we do have a bird moving that way now it should be there...” He looks at a blond slightly overweight airman. “thirty two minutes from minimum optics sir.” She said quickly. “Half an hour. The pulses occurred about five miles to the east of a small town called Tete Jaune Cache. All attempts to get in contact with the authorities in the town such as they are has been unsuccessful. NSA does show and abundance of emergency calls about wild life and the mountain coming for them nothing since. That was ten minutes ago we started trying to contact you then. The Canadian authorities have been notified but if it's Ronin or Key related they may not be able to handle it.

Since it's Canada we can't do anything without authorization so that leaves you guys. Look I know we don't have any authority to send you there but we need you.”

THE PLANET APALON

Lilly felt a shock as her hand made contact with Kyle. Her own Quantum was drawn into the small child with such force that it made her dizzy. In an instant the quantum swirl began to collapse and both Sara and Kyle sank toward the ground. Lilly caught Kyle and pulled him into her arms as her own power washed over him seeking any damage and repairing what she could. His node was roughly a third of the size it had been and was no longer channeling the massive amounts of quantum it had been.

Sara's dad rushed to his daughter and picked her up gently and set her down on the cot. “Sara baby? Are you alright?” He questioned her still unconscious form.

In Lilly's arms the child's eyes fluttered open. “Lilly?”

GUARDIAN SHIELD HQ

Lilly felt a stabbing pain in her head and a rush of quantum the feeling passed and no one else seemed to notice...

Spoiler

So assuming the PAM Suit is at 2 dots like Sean said and it's been an hour since the Norfolk fight...

Quantum Pool 20/26 PAM Pool 2/2 Willpower Pool 8/10

GUARDIAN SHIELD HQ

Jeane was paying attention to the brief, she really was, but she couldn't help but fidget a little in the back of the group. The timing of this event seemed... off to her, too close to the Norfolk event. If monsters attacked every day or even every week, the internet would be blowing up about them as a regular thing, and civilization would, probably, be breaking down towards anarchy like Norfolk did as soon as one flake of snow hit the dirt.

So that left it as a reaction to what she started, the brain in the jar crying for help and waking something else up as Sage killed it... A trap by an evil Key seeing an opening... What would happen if they dropped this thing and it called for help, too, or if it was someone like Ronin thumbing their nose at them..? 

Not helping her distraction was the shiny new PAM suit hugging her body. The blonde daredevil didn't quite trust herself to get it to shift into anything she particularly wanted, so she had compromised with using it as an underlayer beneath her jeans, shoes and hoodie, stashing the rest of her stuff in a corner of the changing room back at Irregular Solutions. She expressed her nervousness by cycling the suit to a different color every 30 seconds or so, hands in her forward pocket.

Abel smiled at Sean's impression, a little humor helped sometimes.   Tease's revelation was solid, and if she could get a handle on her brother's plans, then so much the better.   Abel himself was still somewhat concerned regarding what they'd do when they found him and if they could actually catch him, but for now there were other concerns.

Watching Jeane cycle through the colors of her PAM suit earned a small chuckle and he placed a hand on her shoulder.  <relax Jeane, Its okay to be nervous.  Things will be alright with all of us together.>

Abel  looked at McKellar. "Sounds like something that's sadly almost normal for us.   I just don't want any international backlash from us heading there and doing this.  I mean it's Canada, and they're a close Ally, but we've got no real information on what's going on or what might be there."   He wasn't all that concerned but he didn't want the backlash later.   Acting unilaterally without an official invitation from the Canadian government could backfire on them, but at the same time, he already knew they'd be going.   He just wanted abit of insurance that they'd not be thrown to the wolves politically after the fact.  "This gonna be like South Africa where we get official approval after the fact?"

GUARDIAN SHIELD HQ

Charlie took a quick trip inside the changing room and yet found the process so...  easy. It felt like him, just like how he was changing form from elemental energy to hard mass. Just as intuitively to use his powers, he found, was to make the suit shape to his needs. The door swung open, and Charlie stepped out with a big grin. "This is really easy!" In swift, seamless tandem, his suit changed from t-shirt, belt and pants, to a tuxedo, then a Merry Men of Sherwood outfit, to a Superman costume, back to matching the outfit he'd been wearing when he'd first come to Norfolk.

Spoiler

So due to the Eufiber Attuned 2 and the Quantum Recovery 2 merits, and Node 2, Charlie gets 6 QP for the hour and then can put 4 QP back into the suit.

QP: 27/30
WP: 10/10

Like Luke and Leia from that one movie series she never watched because it was for losers... Tease looked at the information McKeller had out for them to review.  "This isn't my brother," she said softly.

"How do you know, young lady?" McKeller asked in typical military tactlessness.

"I just... know."  She replied calmly.  Her PAM suit, which was nothing more than a one piece swimsuit that showed enough of her 'assets' to keep the airmen paying more attention to her and Sean than their jobs.  Slowly the suit crept down her leg, like a famous symbiote of comic lore she refused to acknowledge because comics were lame.  Within seconds she was in an outfit more suited for the cold of Western Canada.

"What I'm saying is," she tucked some hair behind her ear.  "If this is my brother, watch your backs.  Because while he's looking as us from the front, he'll more than likely have something planned for our rear," one of the airmen snickered, which earned him a scowl from McKeller.  "...okay that came out wrong.  But Ronin is smart, if this is him, be ready for anything."

THE PLANET APALON
HUTCHINS SHELTER

"It's okay buddy. I'm here." Lilly said to Kyle, giving him a comforting hug. She closed her eyes and held him tight, thankful he was okay.

She then heard Mr. Hutchins' voice and opened her eyes, looking to him and the unconscious Sara with concern.

"I need you to sit right here for a sec. Okay? I need to make sure my friend is okay too. Can you do that for me?" she asked Kyle, who reluctantly nodded.

Lilly crawled over to Sara and hesitantly reached out, touching the back of Sara's hand as she tried to examine her body, especially her node...

GUARDIAN SHIELD HQ

"Well, if it is him, then we-" Lilly cut her sentence short, shutting her eyes tight and wincing in pain as her hand shooting up to hold her head. The unwavering steady Lilly wobbled, her knees seemingly turning to jelly for a moment as she stumbled and caught herself, finding her legs again. She straightened up and shook her head swiftly.

"Whoa... None of you felt that!?" she stammered.

"Felt what?" Charlie asked in confusion.

"I had this stabbing pain in my head... and then this rush of quantum. I mean, I feel better now, but that was... weird." she  babbled, blinking her eyes as she recomposed herself.

"None of us experienced anything like that." Sean said as she looked at the others, all of whom showed no cues of any sort of pain or discomfort.

"It... I share the other Lilly's node. Maybe that was it then. Something must've happened to her." she thought aloud.

Sage got a confused look from Jeane. Wasn't the link down because of Ronin turning out to be evil or something. Then Lilly had her episode and made her pronouncement.

"Wait, so the other you got hit hard enough that you felt it? Isn't she with Kyle and your family with the FBI being relocated? Then, God damn right we go there first," Jeane interjected hotly, pausing briefly to glance at the airmen before deciding to not correct her foul language for a bunch of chair forcers, "Family aside, it's more likely to be Ronin trying to hurt you guys, however this other problem in Canada decided to wake up today of all days."

Lilly shook her head.

"I does not work like that, dude. Pain is not transmitted. I could be killed in a horrible, grizzle death and she would not feel a thing. This must have been something with the node. It happened really fast and ended with a rush of quantum. Nothing has happened since, so whatever happened has passed. I only feel a tiny bit of quantum being used/ If it were something bad, she would be burning through a lot of it, so she should be okay." she suggested.

"And if 'Ronin' were there, right now, then sucks to be him. Not to mention, as I said, she would be burning through her quantum reserves." Lilly added.

"I'm fine now, and i'm here so she could be there. So let's continue with the mission. If she were in trouble, she'd let us know."

With her peripheral vision, Sean watched the poly-adaptive fabric crawl down Tease's legs with interest and when Tease caught her, she gave her an unabashed shrug and a small grin. The only time she got to look at a woman as attractive as Tease, especially in an outfit straight out of a comic book, was when she looked in the mirror. Oh, or that... that trollop - an old fashioned word, but it really fit - Courtney on another magazine cover or on a tabloid show.

15 hours ago, Tease said:

"...okay that came out wrong.  But Ronin is smart, if this is him, be ready for anything."

Sean nodded her agreement. "He strikes me as someone who has read the Art of War and The Prince, even if he would deny it."

"Good to hear you're still good to go," Sean said to Lilly2, her heartrate returning to normal after a momentary spike of concern. If Lilly Prime had been in real danger, it would mean Sara likely was too, and the rest of her family. "Give us a heads up if you feel it happen again. Could be indicative of another issue." She gave Jeane a smile, mildly amused by the constantly shifting colour of her PAM suit. "Yeah, feels too coincidental with the surprise at Tete Jaune Cache so soon after Norfolk. I guess we'll find out."

They didn't have live images yet and wouldn't until they were already on site, but Sean did look over the old satellite images they had pulled up of the area. Looking at the topographical details and considering the little that had been overheard on the local communications, Sean choose a location that would land them close without - hopefully - putting them in the middle of the potential - okay, almost inevitable - danger.

"Here, set us down here, James," Sean asked GateKeeper, rattling off the precise coordinates as well as the distance between there and Fort Bulwark. She opened some of the filters on her perceptions, particularly on the quantum spectrum. Last time they had investigated a quantum event on this level, Sara had been hit by.... something. She didn't intend the Irregulars to be surprised, let alone become a victim, by its like again.

She brushed an assortment of weapons and devices strapped to her person, but didn't draw any yet, the situation still unknown. A drawn weapon at their first appearance might only exacerbate the situation. "Stay sharp, guys, and like Tease said, if in regards to Ronin, be ready for anything. After several species of aliens, Orca-zilla, a dragon--"

"A dragon?! You're shitting me, right?" Jeane exclaimed in something between disbelief and wonder.

"Yeah, in the Black Forest, Germany - more flying, napalm breathing lizard than magical being. He called himself a dragon, anyway. I'll tell you about it when we have more time. But back to what I was saying, anything can mean literally almost anything now. Isn't the physical expression of Quantum Theory fun?"

“Gate in 5...4...3..2..1” Gatekeeper counted down as he absorbed Seans information and sent his own far reaching senses to the spot she chose.

The room went silent as all eyes went from the outrageously beautiful women in their midst to the small sphere of incandescent blue light which appeared in the center of the room. The sphere spun rapidly emitting a strange hum, while not loud it managed to vibrate every living thing not painfully but noticeably. The sphere grew quickly flattening as it expanded until it was almost 3 meters across at which point the blue flashed and the center became somewhere else. Through the ring which was the same scintillating blue that the sphere had been. The occupants of the command center could see forest to their right and what looked like a blacktop road in front of them, Ahead the road curved away but was blocked by uprooted trees and rubble which had once been part of the road.

“As soon as the sat is in range we'll get coms with you. Be careful guys.” McKeller said.

Abel nodded and then said “Gatekeeper stay here we may need an exit for any injured we find. Captain can you get emergency services here.”

“Of course all of the badly injured have already been sent to the city hospital. We'll have people standing by.”

Another nod this time to Lilly and she took off at a trot into and through the portal.

It was cold, much colder than it should have been at this time of year. Sean was the last one through and the portal collapsed almost as soon as she exited.

They were on the mountain side of town on what looks like a blacktop service road that connected the Yellowhead Highway with Blackman Rd. The trees were mostly mostly pine and firs. It was eerily silent, no bird and no insect sounds.

The rubble was less than 50 meters away and the Irregulars made a fast approach. What they found was a trail something huge had torn through the forest and headed straight into the main part of the town. They found tracks in the earth paw prints of some sort over ten feet across the prints were sunk several feet into the ground indicating an enormous weight. The trail led into the very center of town.

Alert the Irregulars entered town and saw devastation the main street was destroyed and there was not a living thing to be found. But there were no bodies. all of the water pipes had burst and the water was frozen there was a sheen of frost on every surface. There had been approximately 500 people living in Tete Jaune Creche and none of them could be found.

The trail continued on in a straight line and Sean knew from the maps she had looked at that some 20 kilometers away was the town of Valemount population 1,018.

What. The. Hell.

Jeane's brain had basically shut down as more and more bad news filtered in from the team. 500 people missing and  signs of a real life ice monster whose foot prints dwarfed her entire body. Most probably dead or worse in less than 10 minutes or so. The words 'quantum event' hadn't summoned the impression 'inexplicable slaughter' to the blonde daredevil. Not before seeing this. Whoever was responsible for waking this thing up had a world of penance sitting on their shoulders.

That it could have very well been her God damn text yesterday and all that followed was the only thing keeping a horrified Jeane on her feet. *She* was one of the ones with her boots on the ground. Her problem to help solve.

"So. After it then, right?" she questioned, voice flat as she summoned a sparking lance into the hand not gesturing at the trail of destruction leaving the town.

Spoiler

Quantum Weapon Up.

Quantum Pool 18/26 PAM Pool 2/2 Willpower Pool 8/10

The revelation that the duplicate Vanguard could feel some sort of quantum surge that even he and Sean couldn't didn't sit that well with Abel, and he resolved that they'd look into it later, simply because right now they had another issue.   "There are no heartbeats, nothing anywhere here save our own.  All i can hear is the ice cracking and melting."

"We should get moving, the tracks will lead us to it, or I do have a theory.   Remember  the Orca was drawn to us, to our quantum signatures, It's my theory that if this is another creature like that, then our arrival should have basically been ringing the dinner bell.  We should all be on guard.   Vanguard if you would take point on this, Chimera, you're second with me.  Savant and Proteus bring up the rear.   Tease, and Jeane, you'll be backing up Savant and Proteus if something comes up from the rear.    It's a loose formation to be sure, but it gives us good ability to support one another."   He looked at the rest of them, "unless any of you has a better idea on how to go after this thing."

Looking at the print and with his background he let out annoyance.  "Looks like we're after the Mother of all Grizzlies..."

"Why are you asking us?  You took charge, dropped a plan, now lets execute it.  Christ, you finally sac up then at you screw it up by asking people for 'better' ideas..."  Tease shook her head, looking her typical, holier-than-thou level of disgusted.

"Good call on Memorex taking point, if she gets offed, we at least have the original."  Her P.A.M. shifted again to add a fashionable fur lined hood which she pulled to fend off the chill.  She motioned to Jeane and waved her over to join her at her side.  "Looks like it you and I Meg, c'mon."

Lilly sighed and shook her head for a moment at Tease's comments. At leash she seems to be playing ball, more or less.

"If something manages to kill me, then you have much bigger problems." she pointed out before looking right to Tease. "And it is still 'Lilly' or 'Vanguard'." she reminded Tease.

"Proteus, Tease, Traceuse." Lilly said, addressing the newest Keys. "It looks like this thing is a heavy hitter. So if you want, I can give you a good physical boost that should last a while and might just help you survive. If you want it, just take my hand." she explained, holding out her hands toward them.

Spoiler

Made 3 Boost rolls, all of them were 3 sux. So if they take the boost, they get +3 to Str, Dex and Stm. The extra dots are applied to base stats first. Once a base stat is at 5, any leftover dots become/are added to megas. No extra enhancements though. The boost lasts for a scene.

The actual Boosting feels like getting all amped up for a few seconds with quantum infusing tissues, nerves, muscle fibers and so on. The amped feeling fades mostly after a few seconds and the Boosted atts remain.

Jeane was caught between resentment towards Sage for pairing her up with Tease and deciding how to react to Tease's barb when Lilly made her offer. Along with the unexpected word drop. Who was she talking to..? Oh, wait. The ice tunnels. Her running her mouth off to get the excitement out. A smile surfaced briefly against her fear and worry, there for a heartbeat before she turned serious again. 

"No shit. Hit me," she answered, taking Lilly's hand, "I'll take that as a codename if we get a choice in the matter. And keep the monster off Tease while she hits it with her heat vision long as I can."  

"Yeah, I'll pass," Tease was inspecting something under her fingernail.  With a few flicks from the nail of her thumb against the nail of her ring finger she seemed content she'd resolved the issue.  "I've thing with touching, or people touching me, especially nerds."

"Thanks though," she smiled like that was it took to remove the snobbishness of her words and make everything come up roses.  She glared at her nail again, seemingly displeased.  "Ugh, this cold... I already chipped my nail polish.  Can we find this thing already?  So you guys can do roll your dice and beat it up or whatever, and we can move onto important things?"

Sean rolled her eyes at Tease's comments and demeanor, and sighed. She had thought after Camp Century and speaking with McKellar, Tease was on board as a team player, but it seemed it was going to be in baby steps, which, fair enough with those heels.

"Trust me, Tease, we all want to find this thing as fast as possible and then get onto those other important things." Sans hood, Sean's deep, vibrant hair of reds, purples, yellows, oranges, and pinks gleamed under the sun as she shook her head and gestured. "If it stays moving in a straight line, it's going to hit another community. Valemount, twice the size of this place."

As Lilly buffed the other new Irregulars, Sean frowned at the devastated main street of Tete Jaune Cache and the surrounding mountains as she swiftly and deftly assembled a high-tech looking anti-material rifle with a heavy barrel but a surprisingly small bore. She straightened up and slung the rifle over her shoulder, but she looked ready to draw it or any number of other items strapped to her in an instant.

It was odd. No bodies. It almost seemed like the place could have been evacuated already, but it was more than just a lack of bodies and the way things had been left abandoned where they were. There was no signs of pets or other wildlife either. No birds, not even any mice, and there were always mice. And the vegetation in town was dead too, having grown pale or colorless and brittle to the touch. Sean rapped a tree lining the street, and along with a sheet of frost, ribbons of bark peeled off and broke into pieces. A glance showed that the trees outside of town still lived though.

Her keen eyes could see a heavy residual quantum field overlaying the area, heavy but fading fast. It was so ephemeral that it barely eddied or swirled around the Irregulars with their own personal, active fields. Had they arrived a few minutes later, there likely would have been no residual quantum energy for her to see. A few minutes earlier, and they might have been exposed to the full force of it.

What did it do? Dissociate organic bonds? There should be some physical residue. Kill organic cells directly, disintegrate living cells, or integrate them into itself in some matter, stripping the living energy of the plant-life in passing? Savant kept a train of thought running, hypothesizing on what could cause what had happed to Tete Jaune Cache and how.

As they followed the trail of destruction, Sean nodded at one of the huge, deep tracks. "This thing might be big and strong, but I don't think that is the only thing making it dangerous." She briefly covered her notice of the complete lack of animal (including people) life in the town, and that all the plant life itself was dead. "If I see a similar quantum field rising and I tell you guys to get clear, please, for all our sakes, get clear."

"I'll send out some searchers," Kia volunteered. "They can cover a lot of area fast from the air. Anything that size should be easy to spot."

Even as she was talking, bulges appeared over her midsection, then budded off and fell to the ground. Each one looked like an egg, or seed, about the size of a human head. However, instead of hatching, they grew in size rapidly. Their 'shell' was more like a leathery covering than a rigid surface. Tough, but able to grow with the organism within.

In seconds those coverings split open, releasing a selection of creatures sprawling onto the chilled earth. They had a downy kind of soft, short fur, currently matted with some kind of mucus or fluid just after hatching. Broad batlike wings spread out as they tried to dry out. Each one looked a little like a very large, skinny koala...or perhaps a sloth with wings. A sort of pug-nosed 'face' and very long 'arms' that had the wing membranes trailing off from them. Their eyes were enormous, unblinking orbs. There were ten of the creatures, squalling and still growing visibly as they fanned themselves.

At least she was branching out past 'weird arthropods.'

They dried quickly in the cold, dry air, and took off into the sky...leaping on surprisingly strong hind legs, then flapping with slow, steady wingbeats as they fanned out to search!

Kia nodded. "When they find it, they'll come back and show us the way to go. In the meantime, we can follow the...really big obvious tracks, I guess?"

Quantum Construct (megas first): 17d10 87 11 sux doubled by mastery to 22; enough to make a small flock of flyers...say 10...to fan out in the direction of the creature's passage and search from the air. If one finds it, it will return to Kia to lead the group back to it.

Tease's cheeks bubbled up and here eyes grew wide in disgusted horror.  She spun about and hid her head away as she loosed the contents of her stomach in a series of violent heaves.  Finally he spat in a vary unladylike manner scooping up a few wads of fluffy white snow and shoving them in her mouth to rinse out the aftertaste of her bile.  Kia was one of her closest friends and now she was some sort of 'slither monster'... not that she'd seen that movie, because it was lame and Nathan Fillion wasn't even all that cute in it anyway... or funny.

When finished she started walking away, far away, from everyone else in the direction of the 'big obvious tracks'.  Charlie attempted to ask if she was okay, but she simply raised her hand up to him, her finger pointing to the sky in the universal 'wait one' gesture.  "You people are positively fucking disgusting.  That was... there are no words for what that was.  Have some decorum and at least warn someone that you're going to do something like that!  What the hell is wrong with all of you!?!"

"I'm going to follow these tracks.  Because apparently we can't look for my brother until we handle this," she waved her hands about the scenery in a chaotic pattern.  "Whatever the hell this is, and I'm going to do it, hopefully, with my back to all of you so I can not see you being disgusting!"

She marched off down the several feet before her heel slid in the mud and she wobbled slightly, catching her balance at the last moment.  She clenched her fists at her sides, keeping still to gather her rage.  "I hate snow.  I hate the mud.  I hate giant mutant thingies... Canada sucks!  UGH!"

She fumed and pressed on in independent, misplaced rage.

Kia's face falls at Tease's reaction. For a moment she's ready to hurry after her, and try to talk it through...but she stops after a few steps, realizing this probably isn't the best time.

"I tried to make them cuter," she says in a small voice.

Though this wasn't the first time he'd seen her do something like this, This time especially definitely creeped Abel out.   Kia didn't think at all regarding what her abilities looked like, there was a aspect they'd spoken of, the horror factor of how she and her creatures looked in various forms, and they'd done some work towards lessening that, but seeing her effectively birth these little horrors before them, well It showed there was still further to go.    He knew a great deal about how her powers worked, but all the same, seeing it in action was quite jarring, as more than anyone else, her powers' physical manifestations were intrinsically part of her now.

Abel moved over to Kia herself, and placed a reassuring hand to her shoulder.   "I think that was the first time she'd seen you use your powers.   The whole egg stage part was new, at least I've not seen that before." his thin smile didn't falter, there was no doubt Tease thought as she did, but it was something to address later.   There was little to be said, though he let out a small chuckle.   "Did you read any of that stuff I printed out for you on Starcraft? Because that was pure Zerg, what you just did."

• Nina locked this topic
  • Nina unlocked this topic
  • Nina unpinned this topic

Archived