IC: Adventure!: Street-Level Heroes - In for a Penny, in for a pound

Noir

Manhattan's Advanced Academic School was home to much of the best and brightest student minds in the city. Like all schools in the state of New York a balanced curriculum must be offered for all students, to include not only the standards of Math, Science, Social Studies, and Reading and Writing, but also Physical Education, Music, World Languages, Drama and Theater, Dance, and Art. And thanks to a partnership with Columbia University, the AAS offered many courses well beyond those one would normal fight in a high school and even offered some courses at Columbia.

The campus itself was a mixture of old and new buildings and architecture. Many of the buildings were more than one story, but the campus also maintained large lawns with occasional shade trees for students to enjoy (when the weather permitting). In addition to the various labs, the school featured a large theater, gym and indoor pool.

Among those students attending the AAS was one Penny Pearson, a quiet, skinny redhead sitting alone at a table in the cafeteria, picking at her salad with a fork in one hand while she scribbled in a notebook with the other, reworking some equation for the design of her 'miniaturized, high pressure extruder' (web shooters) when, like a breath of fresh air, Makayla walked up and sat her bag on the table as she took a seat. Penny looked up and a flashed a faint smile to her friend as the other girl fished a sketchbook and bottle of water out of her bag. 

The two teen girls certainly made an usual pair sitting at the table, with Makalya being outgoing, beautiful and right on point with fashion and trends, while Penny was more of the classic 'geek girl', hiding behind glasses and a mismatched wardrobe. 

"Okay, so this is only temporary, but I bought us a couple of burner cells, so that when you are out we can communicate without it being traced back to us. At least until I can get something else wired up or something. I figure I can sew in the earbud and mic into the mask, so it will be hands free and there will not be any dangling wires making you look like some ghetto-ass hero or something." the african-american teen said as she unscrewed the cap of her water bottle and took a swig.

"Oh, and speak of masks. What do you think is better? Something that you can totally pull off, that is separate from the rest of the costume, or maybe something that attaches in the back, like those speed skaters wear, but, you know, a full mask instead of just a cowl, coif or whatever?" Makalya continued as she flipped through her sketchbook, past the sketches of outfits for her fashion design class and to the back where she has some simple sketches illustrating what she meant.

Penny immediately cursed inside her head as she picked up the phone and checked it out, why the hell didnt I think of this. "That's just cool, MJ, thanks. I think I would be totally lost without you." She glanced around to make sure no one was eavesdropping, but then why would they?  

She scooted her chair a bit closer to see the sketch pad. "I like the Idea of an attached mask, but if I have to wear it under street clothes the neck is gonna be really bunched up and hard to hide. It would be like wearing two hoodies. I think we should go with the regular separate unit." She glanced up at Makayla's face maybe with a bit too much of that seeking approval look on her own.

• Matt changed the title to IC: Adventure!: Street-Level Heroes - In for a Penny, in for a pound
  • Matt pinned this topic

Archived