Nina

Characters I enjoy

bored

nothing going on here of note

so i'm looking at this huge list of characters I have created on the site for this game or that, and i'm coming to the conclusion that i only really like writing for a very few of them

I really enjoy and get into these characters easily

Rin

Rachel

aside from a couple of private game characters the rest are meh at best and a chore for the most part.

I think it's an issue with the game and its momentum.  I have a particular flavor of character too (angry, sarcastic, violent, smartasses).  But certain games have allowed to play a flavor that's a bit outside my usual box of tricks and enjoy something new.

yeah when I'm in the moment other characters shine but those two are the ones i'm jonesing for I slip into them so easily others I have to think a lot before I can write them and then have to rewrite two or three times.

but yeah the game is a big thing for sure. I don't like scion but this game which i had doubts about at first really became a i really want to see where this is going type thing. And L5r was a very fun and engaging game just sad it lost most of the players and momentum

one of my problems is joining a game where the world is already established and the rest of you know everything about it and i don't have a clue. y'all are dropping name snad events from the worlds history and i'm haveing to go search for shit that my character should know. that kind bums me out.

another is concept entropy, I comeup witht he coolest concept and i'm all yeah yeah this will be so cool... them i get to the game and it's like whtathe fuck was i thinking.

LOL I know exactly where you're coming from all those fronts.  I've made a few characters that have ended up in the "WTF bin".

I'm with you on the established world stuff.  In a lot of my games I try to use canon as foundation, and that's it.  The character are in Emerald City, or Golarion (the Pathfinder world) and I tend to leave it at that.  Nations and places will be recognizable, NPCs, but I know that players read these books too and they meta.

They know Lord Farqwad is a Noble 7 / Paladin 3... because they read the book... so I change it and wait for the "That's not right...".  I rarely keep stats accurate.  Hell, I changed the stats on a guard dog once and a player called me on it.  "It's only supposed to have 4hp, not 9hp."  "And you were counting on that, weren't you?'

For me there are certain characters whose core nature are well defined and easy enough for me to grasp even after a long time that I reuse them. Curtis, Mel, Darrik. Also they seem to be memorable to our community, so there's that.

7 minutes ago, Dave ST said:

They know Lord Farqwad is a Noble 7 / Paladin 3...

Bull. He's not a Paladin, he sends ogres to fight dragons and rescue princesses for him. :P

I think some are memorable to us, yes.  Kaori for example Justin loves seeing in his BESM games, and some, like Contessa only oldest among us remember.

That's why I like sticking to Bastion, Revenant, Jaunt, and Swara.  These characters are easy for me to write for.  They're either angry, snarky, or simple in some way (or all ways in Swara's case).

I like the idea of the various versions of Sean Cassidy (clearly, ;) ), I just haven't managed to write for him/her in a way that I'm completely satisfied with, which is one of the reasons I keep rebooting the character.

One of characters I feel I wrote the best for was Yseult Sierra in Fox's Stargate Game. Admittedly, I was working far less back than, so I had more time to write for her, but with all the side-fics plus story, she was very well realized.

I think the most fun I had with a character was Megagirl - she was a giant version of a Powergirl/Captain Marvel homage. She was also a complete idiot. I wrote just whatever popped into my head instead of dithering or over analyzing, and it managed to be amusing and fun.

Long is the character I've written the most with, and played the longest, in one incarnation or another.   He really hasn't changed at his core much over the decade and a half + since I made his first incarnation...

Dan Hawkins is my go-to for a military game, I've had fun writing with him for years, and Krul's exalted game where I played him remains my favorite exalted game to date.

Maia is definitely my favorite female character I've created, and the reboots of her were even more fun for me.

and Dave, yeah Kaori's always fun, was better in the first version of Shadows, if only because it was more fun to see her interact with everyone

thinking about all the characters, it  does hammer home how many games have finished here, since 2004.   2.

The character I have enjoyed writing for the most has been Lilly and Siobhan (by far), and then Neeva and Abigail.

Lilly may seem simple, but there is actually a lot of complexity to her. She tries to do the right thing, but makes mistakes, has occasional bad teen judgement, and care for her friends, which complicate things. And on top of it all, she is still coming to terms who who she is/will be as an adult.

I have never really played such a sweet, super compassionate character like Siobhan, where wears her heart on her sleeve like that, but I really, really enjoyed it. I have been working on a fic for her, even if the game is shelved.

I enjoyed Neeva, but nothing really got to flesh out with her, even though I had ideas of paths for her to take.

Abigail was just a bit different for me. She was military, lost several of her squad members, which in turn caused her and Temple to begin truly bonding. The game was shelved before it could really go anywhere, but I was really enjoying the RP.

Phere is totally new, so still working her out.

I am beginning to find Jexa, and enjoying it so far, but it is still early, the same with Na'Atem.

I -really- looked forward to play Dr. Temnikova. I generally do not recycle characters, but she is one I would totally play in another game.

Sigurn I -really- liked, put a lot into her and was looking forward to developing. I would potentially recycle her too, but it would difficult.

I did not get to play Tabitha enough to really find her.