ABERRANT: WEIRDER STUFF – CHAPTER VII "AND THERE WERE GIANTS IN THE EARTH IN THOSE DAYS"

WS ST

On 2/4/2018 at 9:57 AM, AWS ST said:

“I can't hear you anymore baby. I can't fly. And my god I never realized how they saw you until now. Oh my god what am I going to do?”

"What we're going to do, hon," Sean amended, instinctively modulating her voice in a way she hadn't had to do with Sara before, so as not to overwhelm her and make her more at ease in her presence. "You're not in this alone. Never alone." She quirked a wry, teasing smile. "Just think of this as an opportunity as experiencing both sides of the quantum divide now that you know both sides exist."

She had seen the desire and lust, fondness and caring in Sara's eyes before, but not the sheer adulation and need. It was something she had learned to manage as a matter of course, despite what they Jauntsens may believe, but not in respect to Sara. It was thrilling... and terrifying, and it highlighted the disparity between them in a manner more immediate than a direct display of power.

An idealistic part of her said it shouldn't matter if they cared about each other. Cold logic countered that the difference in the sheer scale of what they were capable of, what they were, couldn't do anything but alter their relationship in innumerable ways. Their relationship wasn't doomed - nor was it fake, despite what the Jauntsens might think - but it would have to change, in ways subtle and gross, going forward, depending on how the situation fell out.

"But your girlfriend is one of the most intelligent beings in the solar system, and is friends with other, and can be very persuasive. We're figure this out."

Sean shifted gracefully on the hospital bed so she was facing Sara, one long leg crossed under her, the other hanging off the bed, toes touching the floor. She wiped the tears from Sara's cheek with a gentle finger, the warmth of her other hand and the tenderness of her touch easing the tension from her girlfriend's shoulder. Sean took a quick glance at the monitors hooked up to Sara and resecured her IV.

"I might be able to do something about our dropped link right now, if you like, Sara," Sean suggested, keeping her tone carefully neutral so as not to unduly influence Sara. "The innate one we had as Irregulars might be offline, but I was able to establish one with Laurie. I can try to with you as well..."

Sara slumped against the impossible woman before her, their breasts pressing together as she slipped her arms around Sean's neck and rested her cheek on her shoulder. "Will you, baby? You're right here, in my arms, and I still feel so far away from you..."

Sean hid a wince, hearing the note in Sara's voice that the distance was a physical one, or only having to do with their loss of their mental link, but that now one was a quantum powered goddess and the other now only knew what it had felt like. Sean tilted Sara's head up with a pair of fingers under her chin, turquoise eyes locking on blue.

"Link or no link, no matter how far away from each other we might be we'll always be close in our hearts." Sean smirked self-deprecatingly. "Ugh, I can already hear the Jauntsens gagging. But we were many of each other's firsts. Whatever happens, that can't ever be severed." They potentially had eternity before them, according to Pandora. Over that span of time, there were no absolutes. But it was true enough for now. "Keep your eyes on mine."

Sara stared, her breath going still, those intoxicating turquoise eyes - eyes that had attracted her even when Sean had been a boy half a head shorter than she was - seeming to penetrate her down to her very soul, seeing everything she was, everything she could be.  Slowly, gently, Sean reached out with tangible will, seeking the mental path of the connection they once had, and finding nothing, blazed a new trail.

"My mind to your mind. My thoughts to your-"

Sara slugged Sean on the arm, who chuckled absently. The tendril of thought and will reached out, brushed Sara's mind with the briefest of contact, then began to unspool wildly and out of control, as though she had hooked a maddened Moby Dick who was seeking to drag her down into the depths of the abyss. Quantum energy was being dragged out of her at a horrendous rate. Sean's own node was smaller and less efficient that most of the other Irregulars and the sensation felt like road rash on the brain, her node being rubbed raw. Her jaw tightened, a hint of gritted teeth peeking between her lips as she braced her against the consuming singularity Sara's node had become and with a supreme effort of will, severed the connection between them as she pulled her gaze away.

Sean took several shuddering breaths as she forced her hand to not clench on Sara's shoulder with bone-crushing force. It had been a danger she had considered after hearing the reports from the T'tauri and Pandora, one she had been willing to risk, but the intensity of it had been on outside end of her calculations. Had she not been able to pull free, she could have been drained dry, potentially even rendered into a state like Sara's. A potential remedy for Sara's situation just became considerably less feasible after experiencing this.

"Baby? Are you okay?" Sara asked worriedly, seeing the flash of distress on Sean's immaculate face. "I felt... something, just for a second, but I don't - I can't feel you in my mind."

Sean took one more steadying breath and turned back to Sara, apparently calm and collected once more. But her pupils were still widely dilated, her irises thin rings of brilliant, almost incandescent, turquoise. "I'm... I'm okay. This was a distinct possibility, it was just... more than I was expecting."

"What was?" Sara asked again in growing worry, her hands this time going to Sean's shoulders.

"Do you remember anything about getting hit by the quantum pulse?" Sean asked in turn.

"Only that I was flying, that I had to get to a plane I knew was in danger."

"Okay. So, here's the little that we know, after consultation with a T'tauri science medical officer and Pandora - we're in Tahiti at the moment, by the way. Physiologically and genetically, you're completely human... Except you still have a Node."

Sara cocked her head to the side in question. "And that means what, exactly?"

"We're not sure," Sean admitted. "Not even Pandora is. You're node is acting like a black hole, sucking every bit of quantum energy that comes close into it. We can't even really see your node or where the energy is going, but rather are detecting your node by the absence it's causing in our senses. At a guess, you're ability to absorb various spectra of energy is in part responsible for your current condition, and likely, why you are still alive."

Sara stared. "Is... is that bad?"

"For the moment, it's indeterminate, hon." Sean wasn't going to lie to her, and in her expression, Sara could see the range of possibilities from nothing thing happening to her condition being fatal. "We're going to have to study you more to find out what is happening and what we can do about it. It... might require a bit of exploratory surgery, but we're not at that point quite yet."

While Sara absorbed the revelation, Sean's eyes widened slightly at the contact from Abel and the info dump. Sean and Sara mirrored each other as their lips tightened into a straight line, as Sara recognized the look in Sean's eyes, it being extra conspicuous to both of them that she no longer had access to Guildchat.

"Sorry, hon, getting updated by Abel," Sean apologized, slipping her glassteel tablet from her satchel. "I was suppose to be helping him with collating and deciphering the information on the event, but then I found out you were conscious again when i didn't know how long your coma was going to last and... well." Sean shrugged and gave Sara a quick hug. "This does relate to you as well. The pulses were being aimed at the plane, until you got in the way. When it hit you, the pulse wave collapsed into you, shutting down the event, but causing an unforeseen side-effect, likely to who or whatever was enabling the quantum pulse waves in the first place."

<I already tried to reestablish a mental link with Sara,> Sean sent back to Able. <It failed. Quantum energy is still being drawn in, but the connection only lasted for 137 picoseconds.> It had felt magnitudes longer. <I could not determine if the absorption rate was increasing in so minute a time. We'll have to set up a series of diagnostic procedures to determine it. I'll retrieve the the passenger manifest and start collecting a dossier on the passengers. With multiple data points on the pulse waves, I'll help with the math on calculating their amplitudes, frequencies, and other characteristics so we can try and establish their nature, see if we - or the Qeeg - have ever seen anything similar or comparable. Guardian Shield too, with their probes and while they had the portal program active>

Sean reviewed the data the Abel sent her as she her fingers began gliding over her table with unconscious, eye-catching grace. Sean gave Sara an apologetic smile. "Sorry, babe, I'm still on the clock. Things are... hectic. See, orca-zilla tried to eat Cape town and..."

Thanks to incredibly enhanced, multi-threaded thought processes, Sean was to tell Sara what happened after she fell unconscious while digging through the digital world for the information she wanted. She'd always been gangbusters at math, so it only took a tiny bit of her attention to help Abel with any calculations he needed in trying detail the pulses and their effects.

"... and now, you're here in Tahiti and various shits are starting to hit various fans," Sean finished, watching in concern as Sara slowly got dressed. She was far from 100% but she wasn't an invalid either. Sean set aside her tablet, a smirk on her face. "Airlines should really spend on system security. I could have done this easily even before getting quantum hammered."

Sean had ghosted into the airline systems and collected the passenger manifest for the flight with ease, even refraining from a leaving a tag that she had ever been there in the first place. She set up a Proxy program to scour public social media sites to collect any accessible information on the passengers - she'd collate it and look for any patterns in it later - then stood up to help Sara with her IV and top.

"You don't have to push yourself, Sara. Take your time to recover, though we may have to head back to Guardian Sheild HQ sooner than later. The, um, incident is really starting to blow up, and we still don't know exactly what caused it, what's happening with you, and what the fallout will ultimately be."

<We'll return when we can,> Sean replied to over Guildchat, though it was directed mainly at Lilly. <While Sara has regained consciousness and is in seemingly good health, there are other considerations in play. Not the least, as Abel said, coming back with a more complete overview of the situation. If we wait too long, there will be less to find.>

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/1/2018 at 1:49 PM, Jaunt said:

The man frowned. "Still the same Devin. I thought getting powers would change you, make you ...hungrier." He shrugs and put his hands into his coat pockets. "I guess I was wrong.

Jaunt folded his arms and smirked.  "Dude, cut the shit.  I've got a lot going on, if you have something to say, say it."

He leaned against one of the vending machines, waiting.  "Hunger is proportional to the meal that's being offered.  I have powers, I want for nothing and I'm fat off the bad ass and impossible things I do everyday while most people are barely awake enough to enjoy the latest season of Supernatural.  I don't hunger, because there is nothing out there worth sinking my teeth into.  I'm apex, and I'd rather starve than dig through dumpsters."

"So," he said flatly.  "yeah, you are wrong.  I've battled aliens, just threw down with a giant sea monster, and I've lobbed a nuclear football twenty eight light years through space and defeated a hive mind of invaders and saved this world.  The way I see it, bruh, I'm already chillin' with the big dawgs at the steak table.  What makes you think I give a care in the world about your Mr. Nobody, Dollar Menu ass?

On 2/4/2018 at 8:57 AM, AWS ST said:

Tease and Charlie followed Pandora outside where Apollo wait with a Rolls Royce stretch limo. He opened the door for them.

“I always say when your going somewhere always go in style. We'll hit he shops and get you two some appropriate clothes and then I'm sure your both hungry. We'll do lunch and I will answer your questions then we will do what ever it is you desire. The rest of the day is yours.

After all in a way It's your birthday.”

"Miss P., I love your style."  Tease smiled wide as she had no problems with inviting herself into a stretch limo.  She stood at the door and paused for a moment.  "Food sounds amazing, and thank you so much for your hospitality."

She looked at Charlie, raising her eyebrows and looking at the door.  "Dude, door.  And if you could do me a favor and not speak, like never again, that would be great.  You crossed way over the weird threshold and into like, the Dahmer zone.  People fiddling each other on roofs?  Uh, ew."

Charlie bestowed upon Tease an aggrieved look. "Fiddler on the Roof. As in, a man playing a fiddle atop a roof? One of the great Broadway musicals?" Was he stuck with some mindless Valley Girl? "I shudder to think of what you would interpret A Chorus Line to mean."

"Thank you Pandora, but I am going to need a seat as far from this barbarian as possible." He grumbled before getting into the limo.

Kia hugged back, going up on her toes to do it, then said as she fell in beside him, "It was a whale...kind of messed up from the quantum stuff, but a real whale. I don't know where it went though. We weren't gone for long. Maybe it could heal itself and swam off, or...maybe it could teleport or something? Or something else teleported it for some reason."

She listens to Abel's summary, eyes going wide when he explained Sara's predicament. "Oh my god, that's so bad though! I mean, I wanted her to cool down but I never wanted her to lose her powers. I think she loved her powers more than any of us, even if they were changing her. She's going to be just...is she okay?"

Abel's assurance that Sean was with her seemed to mollify Kia a bit.

"I got Lilly's messages from the base too. She seemed kinda mad. i'm thinking maybe we should head back there once we get everyone together."

Abel nodded.  "I want to wait here and oversee the deployment of the Watchtower, and make sure i have no questions on the usage of its systems before I head planetside."  He considered the idea of someone teleporting the dead whale away.  "it's an idea, and with the sensors blanked out for the fight, they might not have noticed it.  Still that was a huge amount of mass to transport like that, I doubt Jaunt could manage it even.  I know that it died, I felt it.   I think it simply dissolved once the will and quantum holding it together was gone.   It's a question I want an answer for but We've got other matters going on.  Sean and I are working on finding the answers to what happened to cause this, and what happened to Sara.  Laurie's going to be an ambassador to another world,  <and she and Devin broke up, rather dramatically, which has upset our alien allies>   

He actually held her close as they walked, and he smiled.  "If you want to stay up here to keep me company I'd certainly not mind.  As a secondary benefit, you could get to be the first on the Watchtower with me.   I mean We're here, in Space, it's a nice view, one I'm not quite ready to give up just yet, especially with present company."

"I really think it was real," Kia protested weakly, but she didn't push the issue. Figuring out what the deal with the whale was just wasn't her area of specialty. All she knew was what she'd 'tasted' of it...the blood and muscle and bone that had been complete, down to the level of DNA. She didn't think someone who'd used quantum hoodo to just conjure a creature would have bothered making it like that.

But then again, what about these creatures she could make? They had meat too, and DNA that she somehow instinctively 'programmed.' Could it be like that? Then again, Kia wasn't sure if her creatures would just vanish or not. She'd always sort of taken them back in again, when their time was done. Something to experiment with later maybe?

She took Abel's hand and went to stand by a window or...or porthole or whatever you called them on spaceships.

"It's a nice view," Kia sighed, seeing the giant blue Earth below, "But it kind of just makes me want to be up close. Tell me more about the 'watchtower.' What's it going to be like?"

"It will have an advanced sensor suite, and communication system capable of intergalactic comms.   It will be fully able to support the small crew that's going to be staying here but have an additional set of rooms for our use, should we need them."  He smiled  "Think A smaller version of the Justice league watchtower without the death cannon, and and shuttle bays and such.  It's more of an observation post, but still."  

His smile grew.   "I need to ask if it will have a teleporter as well, and a means for us to contact it, as that would be something we need to know before they leave."

US STATE DEPARTMENT

The nondescript man cocked his head a disappointing frown curving his lips. “I was going to offer you a place at the top Devin, but your still an immature brat. You better grow up fast, if you don't your not going to grow up at all.”

As the man spoke is form became transparent and when the last word echoed, Jaunt was alone in the alcove the only sounds the humming of the vending machines.

Just at that moment Jaunt's GC link lit up <Hey guys,> came Lilly's thought over guild chat <We need to have a Guild meeting, Somethings come up...>

IN THE OVAL OFFICE OF THE WHITE HOUSE

The President sat at his desk, still a bit in awe that it was his desk after a crazy campaign and all the drama leading up to his election, but yeah he was the president now and siting here only two days after his inauguration staring at a television screen watching what looked like an airplane being towed by a flying man. He pursed his lips as the screen switched to what could have been central park and showed a couple of identical very beautiful women tending to a bunch of sick people. Damn look at that ass, he thought, when one of the twins bent over to tend a blond butch looking girl wearing some sort of weird skin tight space suit sort of thing like from a movie. Which come to think of it this was all like something from a movie and he was having a hard time taking all of this seriously. Suddenly the President sat up straighter his full attention on the screen now showing a woman who made the twins look like the girls next door. This incredible beauty seemed to be robbing a radio shack with nothing but her good looks. The screen changed again showing some sort of ocean storm but it was blurry and far off. The President wished he had the damn remote , he wanted to watch the girl again.

“It's all over the internet and television, Mr President.” The voice of one of his advisors brought him back to reality.

“You mean to tell me that that bullshit you guys were briefing me on,” he vaguely remembered the briefings a few weeks ago, “was really real. I thought you all were pulling some kind of fucking practical joke.”

“They call themselves the Irregulars, sir. They are the focus of Guardian Shield, you ere briefed on that and the Alien threat, they defeated the aliens in China.” explained another advisor.

The advisors exchanged looks when the saw the blank expression on the new presidents face.

“The meteor...”

“Yeah, yeah, I remember that, the cover up my predecessor did. What a pussy. I'd have … never mind. You there get me that general on the phone the one in charge of these superkids. I want to talk to him.”

An aide picked up a phone while another spoke “We have some additional cover stories that we might want to consider Mr....”

“No fucking way that's not how I am dealing with this kind of shit. That's the pussy option and that ain't the kind of pussy I'm into. You there,” The president stands up and points at another aid, “You get me the president of South Africa or whatever they call him over there, on the phone.”

GUARDIAN SHILED HQ

Gen Pryor was shocked at his daughter's out burst and was simultaneously angry and moved by her speech and reaction. He was torn by his duty as a military man under orders and his duty as a father. Dr. Mizuki saw the struggle of his friend and took a single step forward in the direction of Vanguard.

“Vanguard, Lilly..” He began but was interrupted when an airman entered the room.

“Sorry for the interruption sir, The President wants to talk to you General.”

General Pryor placed the phone back on the cradle and looked at his daughter He still couldn't quite believe the one sided conversation he had just had, bu the man was the commander in chief.

“Change of plans. The president wants the Irregulars at the White House in the morning He wants to hold a press conference in the rose garden.”

ABOARD THE QEEG

Abel and Kia stood on the observation deck holding hands as a large section of the ship detached itself and was maneuvered about twenty kilometers away. It was surrounded by small drones and what they thought were likely work pods. Behind them Lauri cam onto the deck and coughed to let them know she was there.

“I have the data and my report for you Abel. The station has a limited drive simply for adjusting its orbit. The Captain is not adverse to allowing the Irregulars to use the station as a meeting place but does have concerns about how the government will look on that. As do I.”

She steps up beside Kia and folds her arms under her breasts. “We will be departing as soon as the station is stable and the crew are beamed over. It does have it's own Teleporter but it's more limited than the Qeeg's.”

<Hey guys,> came Lilly's thought over guild chat <We need to have a Guild meeting, Somethings come up...>

606b9e93d5549d1fab825a31123b0b57.jpg

TAHITI

Tease and Charlie found themselves in a whirlwind tour of the Island. They hit the shopping district and Pandora bought them clothes and pretty much whatever they wanted. Everything was top dollar and posh to say the least they had lunch at the most prestigious restaurant on the island and a horde of waiters and waitress tended their every need.

They felt like royalty.

Later basking on the beach strong alcoholic drinks in their underage hands, Pandora sitting on a lounger under an umbrella a super wide brimmed hat on covering her in shade, Apollo stand as if on guard (he was) nearby.

“Well children,” Pandora spoke after a sip of her drink, “It's time for your lessons. You asked earlier what was going on, Charlie, now I'm going to tell you.

The others are what we like to call the firstborn, I'm talking about Abel and Sean and the rest, Startlingly Devin seems to fall into that category to but I'm not sure how he did it. You two are what we call the next wave Not as strong as the first but still formidable in your own right. Your species has evolved much faster than others we have seen in the past. Enough to make us think you might be able to beat our brothers. And remove the scourge of the universe....”

Sara slowly dresses and tried not to look at Sean. When she did the woman, her girlfriend, lover, partner, took all of her will and she couldn't concentrate on anything. Even now just knowing she was there sent goose bumps all over her flesh and the desire she felt.... Sara shook her head and bit her lip drawing blood. She winced and Sean noticed. Sean noticed everything

“Are you alright babe?”

“I'm fine.” Sara's reply was abrupt even she noticed. “i just ...I'm still a bit weak.” She laughed at her joke yeah I'm the weak superhero now, except I'm not super anymore.

“Will I get my powers back, Sean?” She asked meekly

Sean came over and put her arms around Sara from behind the girl literally shivered and melted into the embrace. “I am going to do everything I...”

<Hey guys,> came Lilly's thought over guild chat <We need to have a Guild meeting, Somethings come up...>

Charlie quickly discovered how accommodating Tease was to his request.  After a slight raise of her eyebrows and an expression that silently said 'oh no you didn't' she was more than pleased to sit as far from Charlie as was possible.  During the car ride, at lunch, and while selecting new outfits she removed herself from anything that vaguely resembled being near him, and with it came the silence.  During all the functions that led up to the beach Charlie may as well have faded from sight, it was like he didn't exist.

So, now she sat on the beach with her Cherry-Blueberry-Apple Sangria with Cherry Juice Cocktail (Pandora smirked to learn the girl was no stranger to ordering drinks) in a red bikini that would have been a desperate cry for help on any woman but a quantum infused beauty.  She rocked every curve like a supermodel and filled it out with more than enough to keep the cabana boys staring long after they'd delivered their drinks.

"Who exactly are your 'brothers', Miss P.?" Tease asked, sipping her drink and rolling her eyes back in the ecstasy of the flavor.  "Omigod this is so good.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to be, like, super, but I'm not really the battling type.  Tease doesn't hit things... nuh, uh.  I'm not made for explosions and heroics.  You need my brother for that.  I'll gladly help out anyway I can, but I simply wouldn't do anyone any good in a fight."

She shifted to get a better vantage of Pandora, and as her namesake implied she made sure it was a spectacle of slow-motion fantasies for the cabana boys and even Charlie who couldn't help but drink in an occasional stare.  She was no, Sean Cassidy, yet, but no mortal woman could hold a candle to her beauty.  "If we evolve quickly then that means we could, in theory, continue to gain and grow in power, right?  I mean, do more things, broaden our power and skill set?  Because if I'm going to help in the fight against your brothers, I'll need to beef up.  In the parlance of my weeb brother, I'm a n00b to all this."

There was nothing about Tease's manipulations that Pandora would fall for, she was billions of years old and heard and seen about everything there was to see or hear.  She did find it a bit amusing the way Tease tried though, almost like it came naturally to her, like she couldn't help but try to sucker the people around her looking for the dumbest and the most foolish to exploit to her own ends.  A part of the ancient being wondered if it was a bi-prouct of her enhancement or if the girl was always this manipulative.  The girl certainly had a certain.... bravado to her, much like her brother.

"Dude, I can't miss out on something I never had." Devin replied to thin air as Mr. Nobody faded from sight.  "Trust me, I know."

He pushed himself off the vending machines and was about to break down and call Laurie to find out where it was he was supposed to go when his head buzzed with guild chat.

<Hey guys,> came Lilly's thought over guild chat <We need to have a Guild meeting, something's come up...>

Devin clenched his fists and inhaled deeply, slowly letting it out as he mumbled.  "Jesus H. Christ... can we get ten seconds of peace?  We are doing things..."  He  disappeared.

"Sure!" Devin startled everyone as he reappeared right next to Lilly.  His uncanny ability to track the other Irregulars was both a blessing and a curse, since he most often than not scared the bejeezus out of them with his seemingly random pop-ins.  Still in an angst fueled rage over his argument with Laurie he was there in rare form... pure unadulterated asshole.  Pre-Enhanced Devin Jauntsen was out of the box to play for a bit.  "Sure, let do this.  What's the big announcement?  Because it's not like we have things going on, problems to solve, mysteries to unravel, you know, actual work to do.  So, let's all drop what we're doing and run here, because it's not like I wasn't busy at the State Department or anything,"  He snapped both of his fingers and pointed at Lilly.  "But it's cool, Lills.  Let's do all the things you wanna do, because fuck me, right?"

He looked at General Pryor's uniform and went wide eyed in feigned surprise.  "Wow, a General now... they'll hand those stars over to anybody, I'm tellin' ya.  You're like 'Base Manager' now, huh?  Good for you.  My laptop is still shit and it's not likely I'll be able to afford college with what I'm making at Bunnie's but hey, I'm glad you're in a new tax bracket thanks to our accomplishments.  Just gonna ride the daughter's coat tails as long as you can huh?  Well, it's like they say: 'those who can't, manage'."

His mind broadcast over Guild Chat, <Irregualrs, be prepared to blink to Guardian Shield in five, four, three, two...>

Spoiler

Blinking is voluntary, so Jaunt can't force you to appear near him.  I'm not summoning everyone in my post, you guys will have to appear or not appear as you see fit.  Sara, having lost her mental link to Jaunt can not be summoned but only Jaunt knows that.  He'll have to get her manually, but will likely open a warp portal for her, as a courtesy.

ON THE BEACH IN TAHITI

Pandora sipped from her straw and glanced sideways at Tease without turning her head. "My brothers, " She sipped, 'hmm, let's stay with the theme shall we. Let's call them Kronos, Iapetus, Hyperion, Oceanus, Coeus, Creus. They are the epitome of Self Indulgent narcissism in the universe. Combined the six of them have caused the extinction of more life in the universe than currently exists in the seven habitable galaxies."

She turns onto her side tucking her legs up and resting and arm in the arm of the lounge chair, then her chin into her upturned hand. The position she ended up in didn't look particularly comfortable but she didn't seem to notice. "I'm counting on it, Tease. Your species has evolved so rapidly and you have developed abilities no other race has including our own. Your brother, for instance. he can teleport. None of us can, we can't even use portal technology without risking death. Really it is incredible that you have flown under the radar so to speak long enough for you to evolve to this stage."

Pandora unfold into a sitting upright position on the edge of the chair. "If you wish to learn to defend yourself, Apollo can teach you." She glances at Charlie and smiles. "You too, of course, Charlie."

"Yes, I would like that, thank you." Charlie agreed. Now he was partially regretting his hasty insistence on answers. They really were a bit more staggering than he was expecting in the slightest. "Since it sounds like my life is getting interesting in the ancient Chinese sense, it would be a good idea for me to learn some interesting defenses."

The teen boy was wearing his own black swim trunks , and he did look rather nice, if only by baseline standard.

Lilly stood there, listening to Devin's outburst in a bit of surprise. She was not sure what exactly had sparked it, or that he was heaving heading to the State Department. Devin could be a decent guy, but it seemed like he could only do so for so long before he had to be a real douche for a bit, especially when his anger flared, thereby bringing balance back to the force. She knew how sharp his tongue and wit could be. When he was hurt, he would just go for whatever would hurt somebody the most, in this case her father, trying to make them hurt just as bad, if not worse. It was a good way of keeping people at arms length, something that she knew he had done for some time, and was still probably not entirely used to not doing anymore.

Alternatively though, he seemed see, at least to some degree, this flaw in his character, so he was generally sincerely apologetic afterwards as well. It did not stop a twinge of her own anger sparking at the comments he made about her father though, but she was not going to give him the satisfaction and instead just stood there with her arms crossed under her breasts, leaning against the table as Devin spewed his insults and when on his tirade.

When he finally shut up, Lilly looked to him, her eyes serious now, and asked, "Are you finished?"

Embraced from behind, Sara didn't see the flash of irritation and frustration Sean made no effort of concealing crossing her face. While Sara had agreed with her more often then not after they had both been enhanced, she never been so... so meek and acquiescent with her. Sean had reluctantly accepted the shift in power dynamics between her and her parents, and how nearly everyone did whatever they thought would please her and never, ever told her 'no', but it was distressing having her girlfriend react the same.

On 2/8/2018 at 2:46 PM, AWS ST said:

“I am going to do everything I...”

"... can to make things right, Sara. I promise," Sean murmured into her hair, giving Sara another hug. She suppressed a wince at feeling the palpable reaction Sara had to the sound of her voice. "We're being recalled to HQ, baby. Seems like someone back home is jumping on this faster than I would have credited. Did you want to stay here in the paradise of Tahiti, or come back with me?"

"Whatever you think is best," Sara replied almost dreamily, raising Sean's hands in her own to give them a kiss.

Behind her eyes, Sean snarled. She could have powered down her node, but the effect of her presence on Sara wouldn't suddenly abate, and witnessing the switch before her eyes could have an adverse affect on her. Through experience, Sean knew suddenly unveiling herself in front of others had an even more drastic effect.

"Let's head back together then. The familiar surroundings will help and it'll give Dr. Rashoud a chance to look at you. She has some of, if not, the most experience with our unique physiogology." The explanation wasn't necessary, it was clear to Sean as she placed her tablet back in the satchel and helped Sara get ready. "And home will be just a short ride away."

<Ready for recall. Thanks for giving us a moment, Devin,> Sean replied to the Irregular's uber Uber driver.

Instead of the familiar sensation of being pulled through space and time, a purple portal irised open in front of the two young women. Devin was still in full burn-it-all-down fettle and Sean looked a question at him, which Devin answered with a glance at Sara. Sean and Sara looked an even worse mismatch at the moment, but the pleading and warning in Sean's eyes stayed Devin's tongue... barely.

"Thanks, Devin."

"Don't worry about it, Sugartits. You haven't seen your bill yet."

"I'll pay it," Sean countered coolly, giving Devin a nod that intimated she'd pay whatever he asked as she and Sara stepped through the portal to Guardian Shield HQ.

Abel grunted in irritation.  They had guildchat so they didn't have to all be in one place at a time.    Still holding Kia's hand, he  went to the terminal nearby to call the Bridge.    "Captain, there is a need for All of us back on Earth immediately.   Kia and I will be returning there.   Hopefully we can resolve it before you leave.  I would like to at least meet the crew who will be manning the Observation Outpost while your gone before your departure.   Please relay this to our Ambassador as well.  I will return to finish my meeting with her as well."

With the captain's terse yet polite affirmative reply, He looked to Kia, making sure she was ready to go as well.

Kia, you can get us both there if ya want

"Yeah, " Devin said, as touch of shame finally hit his features once he noticed that Lilly had been crying.  His voice dropped and he mumbled as he met her eyes.  "Yeah, I'm good, for now."

His government cellphone slid across the meeting table and towards the General.  "Not to keen on feeling like property.  You can have that back.  If the Irregulars need me, they know how to get in touch with me.  So, Lills, what's this big reveal?"

All of the Irregulars were present and could see the shock on General Pryor's and the other baselines faces. Luckily only those three humans were present in the room.. Only Lilly had witnessed the out burst from Devin but the rest of the Irregulars knew something was up.

General Pryor, shock and fear apparent on his face, started to take a step but once again the hand of his friend stopped him. Dr Mizuki gave a nod, almost a small bow to his daughter as he stepped up to face Devin.

“You have shown great disrespect, Devin Jauntson, not only for General Pryor, a man who has risked his career, his livelihood and his family to see that you, all of you, continue to have some semblance of a normal life. But you have also disrespected your companions, young men and women who had this thrust upon them, but who rose to the occasion and chose to serve instead of demand.

You have had every opportunity to share in all that they have. Do you see them needing or wanting for anything? No. Do you see them hiding from their families and loved ones? No.

You too, Devin Jauntson, have done great service and save untold lives, but are now looking down the path of the ronin. If that is what you truly wish,” He picks up Devin's phone, “then you should leave now. There are more Keys manifesting each day you will not be alone out there. But you will also not be apart of something greater than yourself, I think.”

He holds the phone out to Devin.

Spoiler

All of the irregulars are now present including Kia and Alec (yes I know i have been ignoring Alec and I will be addressing this soon)The baselines are more awed and intimidated than they have been in the past including Sara now, except for Dr Mizuki who seems to be in full control of his emotions and such.

Kia, still holding onto Abel's hand as they appeared, looked from face to face and could virtually taste the tension in the air. She wasn't a superbrain, but it didn't take a cosmic genius to figure out the general shape of what they'd missed.

She let go and went to her father's side to look at Devin.

"No matter what, you'll still be one of us," she said to him. "Even if you don't want to be in the program anymore."

11 hours ago, AWS ST said:

“You have shown great disrespect, Devin Jauntsen, not only for General Pryor, a man who has risked his career, his livelihood and his family to see that you, all of you, continue to have some semblance of a normal life. But you have also disrespected your companions, young men and women who had this thrust upon them, but who rose to the occasion and chose to serve instead of demand.  You have had every opportunity to share in all that they have. Do you see them needing or wanting for anything? No. Do you see them hiding from their families and loved ones? No."

You too, Devin Jauntsen, have done great service and saved untold lives, but are now looking down the path of the Ronin. If that is what you truly wish,” He picks up Devin's phone, “then you should leave now. There are more Keys manifesting each day you will not be alone out there. But you will also not be apart of something greater than yourself, I think.”

He holds the phone out to Devin.

"That's funny," Jaunt chuckled at the 'Good Doctor'.  "See, Doc, we're the closest thing to gods you will ever be in the presence of, and you deign to call on and command us like we're nothing but servants.  No, Doctor, it is you who needs to learn respect.  You are in the presence of one who is physically and mentally your better, you don't talk down to me.  You don't call me and tell me where to be and when to be there."

"Yet here you are in all your human arrogance," he reached for his phone and took it in his hand.  Dr. Mizuki's lips pursed tightly, and everyone quickly realized that Jaunt was gripping not only his phone, but Dr. Mizuki's hand so tightly that he couldn't pull it away.  "Presuming to think that I need you.  I don't.  Why would I stay here to be a part of something 'greater than myself', Doctor, when there is nothing greater than me.  I'm tired of dealing with you humans as if you're equals.  You're not."  The screen of the phone cracked under the strength of Jaunt squeezing Dr. Mizuki's hand.  "See, Sara breaks whatever she wants, and the Irregulars always got her back and justify her actions... I think it's time I start breaking things."

He leaned in, glaring at the Doctor.  "Keep the phone, Doc.  I don't need it."  With those last few words Jaunt faded from view and teleported to any number of places.

"Devin you don't nee-" Lilly said, her sentence dropping off as he vanished, causing Lilly to close her eyes and sigh. 

After a moment she walked over to Dr. Mizuki and took his hand. 

"I guess what I had just told you fell on deaf ears." she sighed as her hand glowed and the doctor could feel the pain washed from his hand, leaving it as good as new.

"I don't know what exactly what his problem is, but like I said, we are all still teens and under a lot of stress, so I hope you'll understand." she said toward the doctors and her father.

< Devin? What the fuck, dude?! What's going on? > she thought privately to Devin, hoping he would hear, but she did not have much hope at the moment.

<I like you Lilly, I do.  That's why I'm only going to warn you once: stay out of my way.>  His voice came through stern and forceful with a tone of confidence belonging to a man who, for some reason had a score to settle.  <We gave them their chance.  I will not be owned, I will not be ordered.  We are gods, they are sheep and Sara was right this whole time... I just didn't see it.  They will learn soon enough or they will end up suffering for their lack foresight.>

<There is a war coming.  Pandora warned us, but we played our roles for the government, and look what happened: hundreds of thousands of people almost died and we lost Avenger.  I will fight and I win and I will do it my way.  My rules.  My choices.  You and the rest of the Irregulars might enjoy lapping up scraps they toss from their table, but not me.  Now, I have a war to train for.  Once I put Pandora's brethren in chains at her feet, I will settle up with your captors in the Air Force and the 'Good Doctor'.  The best you can hope for is the opportunity to say your goodbyes.>

There was a long silence, but she knew he was still there.  Like there was a connection that made it difficult for him to hang up the phone...  <...and my name, is Ronin.  Tell Sara thanks for me.  For opening my eyes.>

<< We are NOT 'owned' or 'ordered' and never have been. I literally just spoke with them about all of that, which you would have known if you had let me talk before going off like a fistful of assholes at Kia's dad. We all chose to be part of this program, to work with it and the government for mutual good. Hell, the President just invited us to the White House, you jackass. I think he would like to announce us to the world, and that is what I wanted to talk to everybody about. It's our choice. >>

<< And you know, you give up whatever moral high ground you might have in regards to Sara when you act just like her. But you know what else? This is not the first time you've done it. The difference is that she breaks things. Things can be repaired with wood or drywall or whatever material and be good as new. You though, you break people... relationships... friendships. You burn bridges and cannot see the flames reflecting in your eyes because you are too full of some self-righteous rage or indignation or whatever. And fixing them, if even possible, takes A LOT more work, and they will probably never be the same again.>>

<< You are no 'god' either. You are just acting like a petulant child who didn't get his way. It is our humanity and our bonds that defines us and makes us who we are. When you toss that way and call yourself a 'god' and look at humans and others as 'lesser' and 'inferiors', then you are no better than the Asheen. I have no idea what crawled up your ass and died, but I know you are better than that. And you know that I know you better than that too. If you need some time to cool off, then take it, but please don't go and do anything brash. >>

<< It would be really great though if you could put on your big boy panties and come back though and act civil. I can loan you a pair if you need. A lacy teal number. Hell, you've probably already seen them. >> she thought a bit teasingly, trying to break the tension a bit.

She then took a more sincere and heartfelt tone, << We are connected and share something that others cannot understand. We are a team... friends... family. And family may fight, but they are still family. If you are upset or hurting and need a shoulder to cry on, then I am here for you. But please, come back, Devin, and be the man I know you are. >>

<You have the illusion of choice, Lilly.  The Doctor even addressed the situation as such when he said I was looking to walk the path of the Ronin, a wandering warrior with no Lord or Master.  That's how he chooses to compare himself to us.  Think whatever you like, Vangaurd, it makes no difference to me.  You will not convince me that we are nothing but tools for them to use and discard when done.>  She'd never heard a voice so cold, so filled with nothing but hatred and malice and pure contempt.  Maybe that's what scared her the most: the notion that he wasn't kidding and this was no joke, that he'd actually finally decided that humanity just wasn't necessary.  How do you stop someone who can't be caught?  And if they were to catch him, how would they contain him?

Hell, how would they find him?

There was a pause after she asked him to return, a cold silence of anticipation where a small part of her hoped he'd reappear back in the room.  <You've a thing for bad boys, Vanguard.  Well strap in, because Earth is about to see just how bad I can be.  Feel free to join in, it'll be fun.>

Pandora smirked a greeting to Jaunt as he appeared before her and Apollo.  "Jaunt, to what do we owe this pleasure?  I was just sharing some history with your sister and young Charles here.  Care to join us?"

"Power," he said coldly.  "You have it, I want it.  The speeds I can reach, the strength I have, the decimation I can bring t o a battlefield... they are not even a fraction of what I'm capable of, I know it.  Show me how to unlock it.  Show me the key to unlocking everything I'm capable of, and I decimate your brethren and deliver them in chains at your feet.  There is so much more to what I am, I touched it briefly when opened my node.  I want that power."

"Well, looks like a kid has finally grown up a bit," Apollo lowered his sunglasses down the bridge of his nose.

"And my name is Ronin, now," he looked out over the ocean and to the various isles that surrounded them.  They would make for good training spots.  "I'm not with the Irregulars anymore or their government masters.  I'm free to win this war any way I choose, no rules, just results.  So?  What say you?"

• Nina locked this topic

GUARDIAN SHIELD HQ

While Lilly tended to, and Kia comforted, Dr Mizuki, Gen Pryor reached for the red phone. “I'm going to inform the President that he needs to cancel this dog and pony show. “ He explained to a bewildered Dr Rashoud.

Overhearing this Alec stepped up to the General. “Sir, I think we should go through with press conference. The President is right. We are out in the world now and we need to get in front of this with our best face forward. I don't know whats going on with Jaunt, but I don't think he means to carry through with any of what he said. But if he does we will stop him. It's our job and while I can't speak for anyone else, I'm still signed up.”

As the rest of the Irregulars nodded or spoke their agreement the General looked to his friend. Dr Mizuki flexed his hand as he hugged his daughter with his other arm, he nodded at what the young heroes were saying. “I think you should listen to them Will, after all it is their lives and future.”

Sara who had been standing there trying to shrink into her self suddenly steeped up past Sean. “General would you call my father and have him come and take me home?”

Sean was startled. “I can get you home ...”

Sara shook her head cutting Sean off. “No I want to go home and see my dad.” she didn't look at Sean

“Actually Sara, I think...” began Dr Rashoud

“No, Doctor, I'm going home. Unless things change I'm not a part of this anymore.” Sara said coldly

Dr Rashoud started to speak but stopped when she saw Dr Mizuki give her a slight shake of his head....

TAHITI ON THE BEACH

Pandora reached up and slid her sunglasses down to the tip of her nose and looked at Jaunt, now Ronin, over the top with her naked eyes, her super highly attuned quantum senses probing.

“I see, Ronin... has a nice ring, a bit melodramatic perhaps.”

Tease was staring at her twin brother slack jawed, “Devin what's going on?”

“I've seen the light Mari, and I want it.” he replied not taking his eyes from Pandora's, who kept hers locked on his in some sort of quantum staring contest. Off to the side Apollo who had been wearing an idiot grin was not frowning as he really considered all that Ronin had said.

“Are you sure going it alone is what you want, Devin?” the ancient being wearing the form of an old woman asked.

“I said my name is Ronin, and I wouldn't have come here if I wasn't. But you already know that.” was his reply said with just a hint of menace.

“I suppose I do.” She stands up and picks up and puts on a white button down shirt which hangs almost to her knees. “Apollo take care of Tease and Charlie please, I have things to discuss with Ronin.”

with out another word or even a look at any of them she starts walking up the beach toward the parked limo. After a moment Ronin follows her, not even acknowledging his sister when she calls out after him.

EARTH ORBIT ABOARD THE T'TAURI OBSERVATION STATION

“He did what!?!” the rage was not contained and even though it wasn't directed at him. Abel still had to strengthen his shields from the emotion pouring out of the small redhead who was cursing and shouting “That selfish ungrateful stupid little self important son off....” Laurie bit off the tirade and a hot calmness came over her.

Abel waited. When Devin had made his outburst, and he found himself hoping that Devin wouldn't do anything even dumber than what he'd done already, but he wasn't going to hold his breath.   There was little he could or would do to him, and so he had shared a look with Sean, and then turned his mind to the matters at hand.  

Once he was done at the base, he contacted the Qeeg's Captain again and returned alone to the ship.   He was introduced to the Lieutenant who'd be in charge of the outpost until The others returned, and smiled.   "I don't plan to be a bother to you, or to abuse the kindness of your facilities.   As you can imagine, things are happening planet-side that will completely change our world, and simply being able to go somewhere, away from all of it is a wonderful thing.  More than that,  If there's another event like what happened off the African coast, We want to be able to react quickly and save lives."

Then, even knowing that Laurie was still hurting from the earlier scene, he found her on the ship to fill her in on the latest antic so Devin. Which is how he found himself witnessing this angry outburst. Laurie seething with anger at her boyfriend, former boyfriend, ex has been now living on borrowed time cause she was going to kill him when she saw him, boyfriend. God what the hell had she been thinking. She stood with purpose to the intercom and flicked the switch. “Captain please,, this is the Ambassador.”

A moment later Captain K'erk's voice acknowledged her through the com. “Captain something has come up and I won't be making the trip. I will be available for hyper communication. But I need to stay here on earth for now with all that is happened.”

“I understand Ambassador. I will instruct Lt. K'eble to give you all assistance. Good luck.” The Captain replied dejectedly

Laurie glared at Abel. “You can help me move my things to the station.

THE EARTH

On the day after what would become known as the Cape Town Vortex incident, the President of the United States held a press conference where he introduced 5 unique super powered individuals. Vanguard, Savant, Sage, Chimera, and Archangel.

These five Quantum Enhanced Humans, were the first to stand in the spot light but not the last. Over the coming weeks and months several more across the untied states and the world would announce themselves

At the UN in closed sessions of the Security Council, the United States came clean about the true cause of the detonation in China, and about the whole QEH/Asheen war and the QEH's role in it and the coming threat. Several other governments brought out their own Keys but many of the newly empowered keys remained independent.

While the rest of the Irregulars returned to their now celebrity lives Archangel stayed in Washington to work with doctors at Johns Hopkins and Walter Reed where he could put his intellect and powers to good use saving lives and healing the sick. He would also be there to provide Security for the government from any QEH attack.

The world  had changed.

• Nina unpinned this topic

Archived