Do They?

Nina

What do you Think?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Have To Have Superpowers/Magic Powers/Psychic Powers For A Game To Be Fun?

• Yes
    • No

Nope. It is RP that makes the game fun. Some feel that stuff like powers make it more interesting, and that is true, but really powers and such just make it more interesting more easily. And granted, gaming is an escape for people generally, so they usually want to play something different from themselves or their everyday lives. A good/fun game is about characters, story, RP, challenge and so on. A good example of that is AWS. Some of the most fun I have had in that game was just all of us RP as teenagers and NOT using our powers. I like the super powered teens combating the invading alien army too, but the biggest laughs and such were from just RPing teens.

I said 'No', however I do like to have things beyond the norm.  Like what makes my PC better than Joe Norm?  Or I like for my PC to be useful in a unique way.  For example, being the only guy on the team that knows how to hack computers or be the only ace driver/pilot.  When you play a no powers game, when everyone is capable of doing the same thing at the same level skill... PCs become redundant.  When I run games like that I generally set up the players to fill a niche that is meant specifically for them.

Do you HAVE to? No. However, I tend to enjoy games that involve some kind of paranormal content more than otherwise, all other factors being equal.

But the 'all other factors being equal' clause can sometimes be very important. And of course, there can be paranormal content without necessarily having powers of some kind or another.

I voted yes,  (big surprise I know)  I play games to have fun, to generally be able to do things I cannot do.  That said, I could play a normal non powered person in something with advanced tech and what not, but just a modern day game, I end up getting fairly bored quickly.  The times I've played in games like that, it just wasn't that fun for me.

I mean Battletech has perfectly normal people in it, for the most part and super advanced tech (and not so advanced in other ways  I mean lasers with only 90m range?)

I'd say it would have to be within the context of that universe. Having access to high-test real-world weapons like fighter jets or tanks is about as powerful as having super-powers or magic in the proper worlds.

Anything that makes you stand out technically is a "power" Even in mundane settings having a bicycle or car gives you an edge (and if it's a car the rest of the group will want rides...)

It's all about context.

Does that make things more fun? Also depends. Some universes those advantages are high-maintenance or come with requirements. Even in mundane settings. Sometimes the cost is way more than the value of the advantage.

• 2 months later...

I voted "yes", but it's qualified in my case. Gaming based on RL (or near-RL) premises simply don't work for me AFA the escapism I need to keep me interested. Quality roleplaying is still highly desirable in my POV, but replicating the sort of thing one can plausibly imagine happening in RL - even the classified/covert portions of it - sucks the enjoyment right out of the experience.

<shrugs> That's my 2 cents, anyways.

Archived