ABERRANT: WEIRDER STUFF – CHAPTER V “DANCES WITH A THOUSAND SPHERES- ABEL”

WS ST

Abel sat back the pain had blinded him monetarily. Immediately her realized that his min links were all severed all except one.

<Are you all right Abel? I am reading a slight elevation of your heart and breathing rate indicating an increase in stress.> cam Blitz's thought from across the lab where the two where working on... something. Abel looked that way saw his cybernetic pup and the ever present Sgt Sanchez sitting nearby reading a comic book.

Abel did a double take and focused in on the Comic. The cover depicted a Flaming woman flying who was blasting a group of obvious middle east Terrorists with eye beams. The title of the book was The Quantum Avenger the issue number was #17.

<Abel?> came the concerned thought again as the dog put down his tools and mad his way toward his friend and partner.

Abel looked at Blitz, and felt the familiar comfort of at least one mental link.  <Where are the others Blitz?>   To emphasize his point and save needless questions, he fed Blitz mental images as well as names for each of his friends.   His augmented brainpower seemed to almost slip a gear at first before firing as one, and he parsed through everything that happened, his memories of what he observed, so that he could dissect every moment and maybe uncover what the hell happened to them.

<What are we working on Blitz, and why are we working and not preparing to go to battle?  The Asheen are here,>  There was a level of nearly manic anxiety Abel never really let slip through.  "Humor an overworked genius, but what's today's date?"  he asked aloud,  enough for Sanchez to hear him.

<Asheen?> Blitz stops a few feet away and the stub of his tail goes still. "It's August 4th Abel." the cyberdog say out loud

Sanchez looks up and sets the comic aside resting his left hand on his thigh near the holstered sidarm there.

<Abel are you alright? There are no more Asheen we destroyed them in the war.>

"What year Blitz?"   his mind raced, and he scowled.   <I don't know what you're talking about Blitz, we never had that kind of power.>

"You should take your hand away from your sidearm.  Just humor me and answer my questions, and there's not going to be any need for that."   The fact that they felt he needed what amounted to an armed guard was telling.  Quickly he evaluated everything he had on, his hands, his entire body, hoping to not find some sort of inhibitor.  

"There is no need for paranoia, Abel." Blitz said calmly , "And please communicate by speaking out loud, you know that the telepathy causes interference with my circuitry. As for the year it is 2017. And Sgt Sanchez is here for our protection."

Blitz pads over to a set of chairs and a small table. "Now come over here and sit down and tell me what's gotten you so worked up all of the sudden."

He looked at Sanchez and Blitz, and shook his head.  "I'm fine where I am.  My Telepathy has never caused trouble for you before."   His scowl was all they needed to see to know that something put Abel on edge.  "You never answered me.  Where are Sean, Sarah, Kia, Lily, and Devin?   I cannot feel them."   he was being polite by asking.   If this was actually Sanchez, he knew Abel didn't need to ask.

"I'm experiencing something that's somewhat hard to quantify and qualify, so I'd like to Not use my abilities if possible, so, please simply answer my questions."

Blitz is taken aback by Abels reactions "Abel I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong"

He looks back at Sanchez "Sergeant, perhaps you could step outside for a moment so that Abel and I can talk in private."

"I know about the cameras and microphones, I know we're not really alone Blitz, so it's fine he can stay.   Now. ANSWER. MY. QUESTION."   His voice seemed to deepen as he spoke, and his tone showed he wasn't going to be deterred at all from this.   His body language tightened up, and he was fully on guard now.  Mentally he was doing a test of his powers, his energy reserves, everything.  

"Really! , i do not know what has gotten into you Abel Cross," Irritation creeping into Blitz's cybernetic voice, "but stress or no stress there is never reason to act like a petulent child."

The dog walks over and hops into one of the chairs. "Now come over here and sit down, put away the theatrics and tell me what is going on."

Abel looked at his dog and shook his head. "If you're not going to answer me Blitz, then I'll go find the answers myself."  He moved towards the door.   He'd find out what he wanted to know, one way or another, and very little would stand against him.

The dog said nothing just watched as Abel walked through the door.

Abel found himself in the same halls people by the same airmen he had grown accustom to. there were some changes most noticibly in the uniforms and equipment carried. Those that saw him acknowledged him with no undue notice. Eventually he found himself in the command center and was not stopped nor questioned when he sought entrance.

Inside he saw an updated and much more extensive display showing the stae of many cities and even construction in orbit. One screen showed a vast Spere at least a kilometer in diameter in orbit near the ISS. Many of the screens showed cities that had damge still visible from the war and a great deal of new construction.

An Airforce officer approached Abel. "Good afternoon, Sage, what can i do for you sir?"

"I am going outside for abit.   I've been cooped up in the lab for far too long and need some air."  he gave the officer a smile, he was still quite abit younger, so he did have to act respectful.  "I shouldn't be but an hour or two.   I trust that's not going to be that much of an issue."

The Airman gives Abel a puzzled look, "Uh, not at all sir. Have a good time." He doesn't salute but does give Abel a nod signifying as much and goes on about his business.

Abel makes his way to the Elevator and outside where he is greeted by a pleasant Sunday morning, a gentle breeze and temperature in the mid sixties.

There are few people that he can see in the vicinity of the Ops building which isn't unusual for a Sunday morning. There is however, a lot of new construction that he can see, but over all less security, however what security he does see is much more hi-tech armed and armored. He recognizes the rifles as versions of some of the weapons Sean, Alec and he had been kicking around.

He doesn't see his jeep in the parking area and sifting through his pockets doesn't turn up his car keys either although he does still have his house keys. He spies a kiosk near the road and goes over to it.

The small kiosk contains a small bench under a canopy there is a little box built in to the side with several button each button is labeled.

1- BASE SHUTTLE

2- SHELLY SHUTTLE

3- HOSPITAL SHUTTLE

4- GREAT FALLS SHUTTLE

5 MALMSTROM AFB SHUTTLE

Eschewing the mundane, Abel rose into the air, and set out towards home.  Reckless perhaps but he wasn't in a huge hurry just yet.   Mostly he wanted to get away from everything.   Once he was what he judged to be a sufficient distance from the base, but not quite to town, he stopped, moving lower, almost to the ground.   There he remained motionless as he reached out with his mind, casting a wide net and opening his own mind to the thoughts of those around him.   He'd find the truth for himself, a part of him just hated doing it this way.

Abel opened his mind and was stunned but the amount of thoughts which overrode his filters. There were thousands of minds with in range where normally there were only hundreds. The overwhelming volume caused him to lose concentration and fall the couple of feet to the ground with a jolt.

He begane sifting through the thoughts but most of it was personal and mundane even retinue.

He sought out his parents and easily found them. They were alright and neither seemed to be in a state of stress or worry.

He went from mind to mind finding much the same finally he returned his thoughts to those on the base he locate Colonel Pryor, who was now a General and in command of close to 25,000 men. From scanning Pryor's mind, Abel learned that the war ended almost before it began. The Irregulars had assaulted the Asheen Stronghold while a group of friendly Aliens called the T'Tauri entered the fray on humanities side with their huge Starship attacking Asheen invasion points across the globe. Although the initial destruction and loos of life was great the invasion was halted in less than a day and with the assistance of the new allies The irregulars used the nexus portal to assault the Asheen with terrible antimatter bombs. In minutes the entire Asheen network was wiped out and Humanity was victorious.

Abel pulled back into his own mind.

"That's too easy, too pat, and far too lucky to be real."  Still  he could tell from the thoughts that no one had died among the irregulars, so there was no reason for guildchat to not be working normally.   Knowing he had to at least try, he sat down where he was, and narrowed his mental focus to those who were part of guild chat.   Piece by piece he set about rebuilding the complicated web of connections for the network, and then took the plunge as he charged his mind with power.  <"Guys, can any of you actually hear me?">

Mostly he wanted to speak to Kia, and to Sean, one to calm himself, and the other who was likely the only person intelligent enough to help him through this enigma.   He had the wherewithal to know he'd essentially been taken out of his mind almost a half-dozen times now, and it was something that worried him.  His defenses were impressive, and yet, this kept happening.

It seemed like eternity to his mind, which was operating at speeds a super computer could only dream of, but it was virtually instant, as he connected to Guildchat, and could feel everyone there.   <"We seriously need to talk.">

• Nina locked this topic

INTERLUDE

NOW

The Universe blinks.

POP!

Spoiler

As in all interlude you may spend XP however this one is different. At this time your characters are in a state of Quantum Instability. You may change your powers by redistributing points or drop powers you do not wish to pursue. If you drop a power calculate the amount of xp it would have cost to buy said power from 0 level this is how much xp you get back.

Everyone receive a +1 to their Quantum Score and +10 to their Quantum Pool

You may buy additional levels of Quantum Score at the normal cost of current score x 8

You may buy new powers for xp as normal (try to stay with in the theme of the character)

Archived