IC: S1:E1 - Welcome to Hero High!

Dave ST

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Curtis Shane." Curtis added for himself. "From San Francisco. Purely of American origin." Technically, he biologically could have been descended from French or Slavs, or who knows, Danes - goodness forbid lest Her Prima Donna-ness Vandersteen get ideas - but Jesse and Jeff were his parents and they claimed full-blown American ancestry for as far as the nation existed, and that was all that mattered in his eyes.

"God, pineapple on Pizza, talk about odd..."  Rick muttered, having gone along with the rest of the group.  his own preference was meatlovers, or straight pepperoni and olives.  but he'd take what he could get here.  With Qui's trust in him, a short conversation over whether she ate meat or not, he was trying to be considerate, after all,   He ordered a meatlovers for the two of them, as well as one with pepperoni and Olives.   "You aren't the only one who generally puts away one or two of them Bastion, I just seldom get the chance..   Gives me a great excuse to go run later though, so it's all good."   

He turned his attentions to Tatiana and smiled, "i'm Rick Reynes, it's nice to meet you."

"Riley Mills," one of the Riley's joined in on the round of introductions while another was busy getting everyone's orders actually added up and then made at the counter - at least for those that hadn't done it already. The third lounged in one of the booths; all of them were pretty happy no one was really making a fuss. It was weirdly also disappointing, but still better than people freaking out over all. To Curtis she finally answered his questions, "It's three me's, not triplets. We...talk?...I guess. I mean I know what's going on with all three of us and we're all me - but sometimes we're kinda not since we also 'talk' to each other about things. It's....weird, but useful."

She bit her lip nervously, then gave a little shrug and asked playfully, "So, uh, how about you? Why are you attending the school?"

"That's pretty cool," Sebastian said.  "You're like your own sister.  So, not to pry... but... did they just, like, pop up one day, I mean if you're not triplets, they had to come from somewhere?  Right?  And is there an original?  Do you guys fight over who gets the last Pop Tart?"

"Um, thanks," Riley blushed at the compliment, the answered his questions. "I woke up one day and I was three different places in my bedroom. We'll call each other Riley 1 or Riley 2, but it's not like that. We're all Riley, we're just....spread out." She laughed and added, "And for Pop Tarts....we all get to taste it, so no, not really. We will fight over ice cream, though. That's just a given."

"Because my parents were looking to make me socialize more with others my age." Curtis answered after Sebastian cut in. After an awkward moment with everyone looking at him in an odd way, Curtis realized that wasn't exactly what she'd meant. "Oh. You meant my powers. Strictly speaking, I have only minor electrical generation. If you widened your criteria to include immense intellect, I'm one of the smartest people on the planet. ...I'm not exaggerating, they've tested my IQ - or rather, they had to revise the tests five times because I kept shattering the bounds of the scale."

"Okay, that's twice dude," Sebastian chimed up.  What was with this Curits guy?  Smug superiority seemed to follow him around like Jack Daniels on Kieth Urban.  "Do you always make sure to state you are one of the smartest people in the world, or what?  Because, and I'm not trying to sound mean here, dude, but where I come from, if the people have to go around reminding everyone they're cool, they usually ain't.  Can't you just say 'and I'm smart too'?"

• Matt unpinned this topic

Cosima rolled her eyes at the continued disparagement towards gourmet food. Better quality ingredients and more skilled and inventive chefs indisputably led to better dishes. It was alright if they didn't like certain things - she herself didn't like caviar - but they were making judgments without the slightest interest in tasting something new.

Somehow, it did not surprise her that two of her schoolmates would be so enthused by Hawaiian pizza, looking at the menu, pineapple appeared to be the most exotic topping among the rather limited list. And undoubtedly, they were canned pineapples rather than fresh. Sigh. Habanero peppers would have been better, spicier and a fruity tone that would accompany the pineapple better, but Cosima suggested Keiko and Autumn add jalapeno peppers to their Hawaiian pizza for some added zing.

Cosima watched and listened to Autumn in curiosity. She had traveled quite extensively with a remarkable talent for languages and she couldn't quite place Autumn's accent and some of her turns of phrases and mannerisms were rather... off. True, she may have been only recently adopted, she supposed, but still, her accent was as unique as Christopher Walken's.

Being called Coco made Cosima hide a wince. Though Coco Chanel was an icon and she had always been friendly with Coco Rocha at fashion shows, Coco of Coco & Ice T made the name rather cheap and crass. Cosima had only offered to pay for the meal had they gone to some place of quality, but it would hardly be polite to correct Keiko on that score. Besides, she hadn't looked at the prices on the quaint, folded paper menus, but she doubted the entire order could possibly cost more than a good wagyu steak.

Riley was being a dear, trying to talk up the dishes at Pizza Hut, but why ever would somebody want to eat here when someone who actually likes the food admits some of the dishes are sub par. Declaring the pasta 'acceptable' sounded more like it wouldn't be fit for dogs, or starving children in Malawi. Still, to show her own 'flexibility', Cosima ordered an alfredo pizza and several of the side dishes Riley had suggested.

Her head had cocked to the side when the other Riley's had arrived, but when she found out they were all one and the same, her violet eyes brightened in interest. Now there was a useful talent, almost as useful as Psychokinesis and Psychoportation, for ease and self-indulgence. There were times she wished she could be in more places at once. One of her could be sitting down to a nice dinner in Paris or Hong Kong or out shopping while another attended a gala or awards event and the last attended school for appearances sake.

"That's really neat, Riley," Cosima admitted honestly, an amused smiled tugging at her lips. "Seems like you spend a lot of time 'talking to yourself', as it were. But why are all three of you here? Surely all three of you don't have to attend school at the same time? While you're in school, one of you could be out at the beach and another being pampered at the spa."

Cosima rolled her eyes again and sniffed in exasperation when Curtis made his declaration of intellectual superiority. Having had a great deal of experience in show business and social media, she was no stranger to people talking themselves up - it was a necessity to some degree, she did so herself, of course - but there were limits. Curtis was at Kanye levels of insufferableness.

Like the others, Cosima had looked, then looked again, when Tatiana had exited the bathroom in her new outfit and her hair down. It was a look at catalogued everything about what she was wearing, the way she styled her hair and did her make-up, and noted any tattoos and accessories. Cosima didn't think she herself would look good rocking dreads, nor did she have the hair for it, and she hadn't gotten any ink herself yet - not from lack of interest, just hadn't found something that spoke to her or found an artist to bring it alive - but she could appreciate them in others.

"Nice shoes, Tats," she complimented the girl.

Her clothing was whatever, if much more Tatiana she was sure, but Cosima did have a thing for shoes, especially heels. At five-foot five, she wasn't short, but when all your sisters hovered around six feet and it seemed there wasn't a woman shorter than 5'10'' in Denmark, you wanted something to could bring you up to their level. Also, heels made her legs look even more amazing.

Cosima's order seemed far too large for a girl with a waist that suggested she wore a corset at least half the time, but she seemed able to eat as much as a starving teenaged boy, though was considerably more neat and clean doing so. She looked doubtfully at each thing in front of her, but ate it all the same. As she suspected, completely pedestrian fare. It filled your hunger, but she would hardly qualify it as food...

... Except for the apple pies. They were clearly the cheapest of pastries, but she found them unaccountably tasty. It must've been her sweet tooth over riding her common sense. She would have to go to a boutique bakery afterwards to make up for such an indiscretion.

"So, Autumn, you mentioned being adopted," Cosima commented after a sip of bottled water - merely Evian. "If I may ask, where are you from originally? I've been to many places, but I can't quite place where you might be from nor your accent. Korea? Tibet?"

Spoiler

sorry for the long post, hadn't posted in a while and wanted to touch on several things previously mentioned

Keiko ate her pizza happily, and seemed quite absorbed in it. Of course, she didn't have to move her head or eyes to look at someone and she was paying rapt attention to the fault lines where the other kids bashed up against one another. It was all really cool! She hadn't been around this many people her own age at once in a few years now, and it was gratifying to see that the various teen dramas she'd watched to try to 'keep up' were spot-on as far as predicting how her peers got along.

Next step: Ship.

Curtis and Cosima were obvious. Almost TOO obvious. They'd hate each other every step of the way, but finally in a moment of extreme stress just snap and start frantically making out. And then they'd refuse to look at each other for a week. A star and a comet, locked in each other's orbit but forever trying to keep their distance. Awesome.

Riley and...hmmm. Bastion? She had a similar sort of innocent charm, and Bastion looked like he might be able to keep three girls happy. Hoo. Okay, inappropriate pizza thought. Still, they'd be cute together and together and together. But she did wonder...if one Riley went out with Bastion and the other two went out with other guys, was that cheating? Damn, she had to have a chat with Riley sometime about that. That would be roughly seventeen kinds of awesome. The potential for slapstick comedy alone defied description.

That left Rick and...hm. Herself or Tats. The Russian girl definitely had a kind of 'bad girl' thing going. Keiko hadn't picked a persona out for herself yet, but the ideal would be some kind of sweet and innocent girl all goggle-eyed and needing a big, strong boy to show her around. That wouldn't be too much of a stretch, really. Or...OR...she could go all tsundere rival in Tats' face and THAT would be pretty cool. Hmm...what kind of powers did Tatiana have? Might make a difference. Of course, she could always start OUT as a wide-eyed innocent, then do an about-heel-turn and become a serious badass when Tats became a rival! Oh shit, that would be sweet.

Oops, but then there was Qi. And Autumn. Well...ok so some of them might have to date outside the gang. That was okay. Or maybe one of them was gay, and that'd be pretty good too! Or Tats. Hmm. HMMMM. Nah, too stereotypical. Besides, that was the sort of thing that would come out later.

Keiko looked over at Rick and smiled at him and said, "How come you don't get to eat pizza very often?"

The Riley speaking with Cosima put her chin in her hand and shrugged. "Yeah, I could do that I guess. I'm not sure how it's going to work here. At home, my parents usually just had me studying something, doing a practical, and exercising on rotation. It kept me from getting bored and I'd get all my schoolwork done in the mornings, then do whatever I wanted in the afternoons. They thought a school that was designed for powers would be a good place to stretch my abilities, to get me to think outside of the routine we had." 

She sounded a touch wistful for that routine, but she kept her smile. "Besides, it'll be interesting to see what 'regular school' is like. I've always been homeschooled. What about you? I know you're famous, so have you had tutors or a private school until now?"

Na'Atem froze for a moment at Cosima's question. It was something she had prepared for, to some degree, once she learned her accent was unusual. She did not want to drop it though. Her accent, her language, was one of the few things she still had from her home. Still, the question itself did strike something of a nerve, bringing up painful memories and loss.

"Growing up on a .. boat? No, that is not the word... bigger boat? no... ship! ...ship that went to many times many ports in Asia, from Japan to Indonesia, where they all spoke many different languages, and having a crew would change, being from different ports.... I believe? hmm. No... Suppose? Yes. ...I suppose could affect the way a child learns to speak by hearing many different languages often." she said with a nod.

"My parents eventually built a home together, where we lived along with my three older brothers. We were happy. Then came the flood. It was unexpected, catching us and others unprepared." she recalled, thinking back as her gaze seemed to drift off.

"My brothers died trying to save us. And then, my parents died... saving me.. but gave me a gift before they perished..." she explained with a palatable sadness in her voice as she cradled the stone hanging around her neck, staring down at it as it glowed faintly for a moment.

She shook her head, as if trying to wrestle herself free of the reverie, but still lightly gripped the stone, idly rubbing it with her thumb.

"I.. I do not remember much after that. I was hurt badly and the other flood survivors cared for me until they reached safety. They did not think I would recover..."

"I did though, but it took me a very long time to heal and fully awaken once more. When I finally did, I was luckily found by Dragoneye, he could sense the magic, and with his help, I was adopted by the Evermores here in Emerald City."

"They took into their home, and once again I had a mother, and father and a.. spouse? No. Sibling! A sister, something that I never had before. They accepted me and once again I had family, something for which I will be eternally grateful. They taught me about America and Emerald City and many other things. They were from a long line of sorcerers too, so they were able to help me with my magic. Finally though, I reached a point where I they said they could teach me little more and suggested I attend Claremont. So here I now sit, with all of you, my classmates. And I hope that one day I may be account among your friends." she finished, closed and eyes and bowed her head slightly.

Qi listened to the stories and ate her pizza. She took Bastion up on his offer and tried a slice of a couple of his pies. However she did not overindulge, the food was very rich and she already figured she would have to workout extra hard to burn off the fat.

The diversity of those she had been thrown in with was astounding something she was very much not acquainted with coming as she did, from a place where everyone had been the same and she the only one different. As her new ...friends? Companions?  As they talked and ate, she studied their Chi

Cosima chewed thoughtfully on a bite of mediocre alfredo, looking completely out of place with her looks and style, but not ill at ease, a piece of pizza held in a long-nailed hand. "I've had tutors and been to other private schools, both. It depended on whether I was spending extended time in Denmark with my father's side of the family or was on location shooting a scene for something. It was mostly private school - the extra posh ones you see in movies and TV, we just weren't nearly as prim and proper - who would provide the tutors for any extended absences."

Cosima shrugged and cleaned her hands on some napkins as best she could, then gave Riley a conspiratorial grin. "Very different to most, but common enough in the social circles I frequented. But if you - or one of you, I suppose - ever want to take a day trip to some place exotic while the rest of you endure time in class, hit me up on one of my Social Media accounts or in the halls, and I'll make it happen. Why should all of you suffer the tedium of school when only one of you has to, am I right?"

Cosima reached across the table to give Autumn's hand a commiserating pat. "I'm so sorry for bringing up any hurtful memories, and you have my condolences for all the hardship and loss you have suffered," she gushed in sympathetic apology.

She hadn't ever experienced any truly meaningful tragedy in her serendipitous life, but she could imagine what it might feel like. Cosima had also spent enough time around celebrities, politicians, and the upper echelons of society to know a non-answer when she heard one. She had asked about where Autumn was from, and she had instead told them about her family, which Cosima saw as even more revealing. Cosima found that a mite curious, but then again, they had all just met. Maybe Autumn was from Shambhala or something and wasn't allowed to say.

"I must say, you speak English passingly well for only learning it rather recently, I'm guessing," Cosima complimented Autumn. Cosima actually had no idea how long Autumn had been learning English, but it seemed like the polite thing to say. It usually didn't take Cosima longer than a day, if that, to pick up a new language, her siblings too. If she had been the more introspective sort, she might have realized that it was strange that she could do so rather than taking it for granted.

"Magic, like, real magic, not the Criss Angel or Penn & Teller kind? What's that like?"

Curtis ate his pizza, having given Bastion little more than a roll of the eyes. He'd done it twice, the second being in response to Riley whom had not been present at the first instance and had asked, after all. It was an honest fact. The farm boy clearly had a memory problem, or perhaps a proportionality problem. 'Smart' was a term inadequate for that matter - it would be like comparing a hose spewing water to a large, sculptured fountain.

Autumn's commentary was interesting, if thought provoking - and laden with more mystical presumptions. But something didn't trigger right. He wasn't sure what. Nothing of it was out of place with her account - a third-world origin with English as a second or later language, and even the apparent evasion of Cosima's question could be argued that, with the ship as a home, Autumn did not consider herself to be of any one location.

But something still nagged, and Curtis didn't have the information to determine what precisely the issue was that his intuition was giving him. Even the greatest intellects could be hamstrung by a dearth of data to work with. Anyway, he wasn't going to say anything about the 'magic.' Autumn already knew his viewpoint, and the farm boy would get even more annoying.

A racing motorcycle (crotch rocket) shot past the Pizza Hut, easily going sixty plus miles per hour in a forty.  The teens continued to eat pizza and talk, trying to get to know each other.  A second shot past mere seconds later, also doing sixty miles plus.  They were involved enough in their conversations that they really didn't notice the first bike.  The second garnered a bit of attention, but two idiots speeding really wasn't for the teens to get involved with.  Emerald City had police for that.

When the fourth... then fifth... then he eighth shot past the Pizza, people started pressing their face to the glass.  When automatic sub-machine gun fire shattered the windshield of one of the pursuing patrol cars everyone immediately screamed and hit the floor for safety.  Bullets tore through the Pizza Hut and neighboring businesses as the shooter lost control of the recoil.  Despite being bullet proof, even Sebastian ducked low.  A squad or patrol cars now sped past at a speed almost rivaling the crotch rockets.

[Sebastian & Tatiana]  "Shot's fired! Shots fired.  Unit Seventy-One in pursuit!"  The officer shouted into his ratio.  For Tatiana the shout bounded all through the air, hitting the glass and vibrating through the newly made bullet holes.  The vibrations lingered, stimulating her ear drums as she weeded out the chaff of the surrounding noise.  She mentally sifted tone, pitch, wavelength and in an instant had a mental sound byte she could translate.  Sebastian's ears did something similar, save that he mentally discarded the unwanted sounds and sifted through until he heard the one he wanted.  Once he had it, he locked on and simply listened.  Everything else went quiet.  "There are eight, repeat, eight perps on racing bikes.  We have confirmation, it is the Wild Cards!  The EC Diamond Exchange has been robbed by the Wild Cards!  Get us some back up, damn it!"

Parents clasped their children.  A young girl, no more than five maybe, cried her eyes out as her father held her close, telling her everything was over.  Sebastian raised his head, his eyes narrowed a hushed 'thump' fell into the seat cushion behind him.  He stood and walked towards the door.  Where he sat was a flattened bullet, Sebastian didn't duck, he was hit.  Had it been anyone else at the table, or that young girl, or her father... they'd have been dead.

"If y'all excuse me," He said politely, smiling at his friends.  "I find myself with a bit of a headache.  I think I'm gonna call it a day."

Sirens and gun fire echoed in the streets of Emerald City.

Keiko uncurled from the protective ball she'd curled into, and looked around. It sank in what had happened, and then what Sebastian seemed to be getting at. A huge grin lit on her face, and she stood up.

"If you're going after th...uh..." She realized they had an 'audience' of sorts, and quickly changed what she was saying. "...after school, then I'm in. Can I get a ride? I'm thinking I might be late if I try to run it on foot."

He'd been eating and listening quietly as his classmates talked, Honestly he enjoyed it for the most part, he was learning about them, though he and others were mostly being quiet.  The mortorcycles were interesting, and then came the gunfire.   He pulled Qui down with him out of harm's way, and then was quick to right them both.   "So much for just having pizza with friends. "  He paused to give a look to the others.  "Are we all going back then?  Though We better pay up first."

"The men of whom you speak perform what people have come to call 'magic', but it is not actual magic. They are simple tricks, mis-directions, and mirrored or mechanical... props? Yes. Props... It is trickery, or using a greater knowledge of optics and common trains of thought. Nothing more." she said, dismissively.

"The Spellstone is indeed magical. When worn it-" she said and then paused at the commotion outside.

Her eyes went wide and she ducked with the others as the gunfire echoed outside, finally sitting up and checking herself for wounds with her hands as she visually looked over the others. 

"Is anybody injured?" she asked as Sebastian excused himself, followed by Keiko.

"A ride? But we wal-." she paused, cutting her own sentence short as she leaned down, closer to the table and her classmates. 

"Are they, or we, going  to assist the...  police? The police with the men they are chasing?" she asked in a hushed tone.

"I am," Sebastian said calmly.  "I'm not one to make other people's minds up for them though.  That hurt," He rubbed his head.  "And it could have been worse had it been one of you, or them."  He motioned to the crowd.  He was talking low, his walk to the door cut short by Keiko admitting to wanting to 'help'.

"No judgements either way, honest."  He continued heading for the door, and exited the establishment.  The commotion outside was intense and people were looking more at the street and the sirens in the distance than they were the Pizza Hut parking lot.  He looked up and leapt.  He landed on the roof of the neighboring business and took off, jumping building to building...

Curtis had been forced to take a pretty hard landing on the floor when going to the ground and the bruise showed on his forehead. And Bastion went off immediately afterward. "Has he forgotten our school has a policy of secrecy on our abilities? And that he has nothing concealing his identity?" He began to brush himself off. "I would hope that if any of you also plan on beating up street thugs, you have an answer to that second question?"

"Wait, no, I really need a ride. A literal...damnit..."

Keiko watched Sebastian leave and go running off. She could lighten herself up a bit...made her a lot faster on her feet than she could go without the boost...but her ability to move things around wasn't strong enough to lift her entire weight up.

"Of course I have an answer," she said to Curtis. "I have like eight answers. What I don't have is a fast way to catch up. Seriously, can anyone give me a lift? I will share one of my answers with anyone who can help a lady out."

Na'Atem looked at Curtis and nodded with small smile. 

"I do indeed." she replied with a nod.

"տչԑԑղ." she uttered quietly, making an intricate gesture with her hand.

As she spoke the Spellstone glowed brightly, the brightest Curtis had seen yet, with small bands of æther swirling around it as it, and she, faded from sight.

"One cannot be identified if they are unseen." she said softly, giving Curtis a pat on the shoulder. 

39 minutes ago, Keiko Ichimura said:

"Wait, no, I really need a ride. A literal...damnit..."

Keiko watched Sebastian leave and go running off. She could lighten herself up a bit...made her a lot faster on her feet than she could go without the boost...but her ability to move things around wasn't strong enough to lift her entire weight up.

"Of course I have an answer," she said to Curtis. "I have like eight answers. What I don't have is a fast way to catch up. Seriously, can anyone give me a lift? I will share one of my answers with anyone who can help a lady out."

"My Greater Levitation spell allows me to soar through the sky many times faster than that fleeing thieves are traveling. I believe can carry you, as long as you can conceal yourself. I will be unable to cast further magic while I do so though, so be prepared." Na'Atem whispers to Keiko.

"We must go now though, before their trail is lost." she urged

"Oh nice!"

Keiko looked furtively around, then ducked down behind a row of stalls and held a hand out.

"Here, take my hand while you can see it."

Once she felt Autumn's touch, she winked out of sight as well. As they made their way to the restaurant's door and out she added with a laugh, "Don't lose your grip or we'll never find each other."

1 hour ago, Richard Alexander Reynes said:

"So much for just having pizza with friends. "  He paused to give a look to the others.  "Are we all going back then?  Though We better pay up first."

"I'll cover it," Cosima confirmed with startled blitheness as she sat back up in the booth with a wince. She had banged a boob against the table when she had ducked with all the rest. She pulled an unmarked card of glossy rose-gold plastic from her purse and with a flick of her wrist and some slight of psychokinesis the card flew through the air and landed with unerring precision next to the cash register. "Charge any outstanding orders and what you think will be needed for damages to that, sir," Cosima said to the man by the register, only his eyes visible above the counter. "Someone will be back later to recover it."

Cosima stood up and brushed off her clothes, lips pursed as she watched Sebastian head for the door immediately, Keiko at his heels. Though she did typically think about anything and everything in regards to how it effected her, she did feel affront rising to anger at the actions of the gangers. She had just been trying to slum it at Pizza Hut with her new classmates and this happened. Cosima was far too classy to tell them that had they gone where she had wanted to go, this would never have happened there, but she thought it loudly.

But despite all her frequent travel and status as a Danish Princess, Emerald City was still what she thought of as home. And while even she didn't believe she could do something about everything that afflicted her city, she could do something about something that happened right in front of her. Especially with several companions with superpowers and magic in tow. She glanced at the mushroomed bullet sitting on the cracked vinyl of the booth and with a thought, relocated it to her purse for a memento.

1 hour ago, Curtis Shane said:

"Has he forgotten our school has a policy of secrecy on our abilities? And that he has nothing concealing his identity?" He began to brush himself off. "I would hope that if any of you also plan on beating up street thugs, you have an answer to that second question?"

"Why, of course I do, Curtis," Cosima replied with a smile. Then she was gone. Curtis blinked, because he didn't even notice her leave or disappear.

42 minutes ago, Keiko Ichimura said:

"I believe I can oblige, if you like," offered a young woman, and Keiko gave a small start, not having heard her approach to her side.

The young woman looked a good deal like Cosima - expensive heels, dramatic hourglass figure, and pink-blond hair, though this woman's might have been a bit longer. But it couldn't have been Cosima. There was the faint pink aura fading about her. Oh! And she was wearing a gem studded circlet (unless it was a tiara). Obviously, it wasn't Cosima. It was a local young hero who had appeared a few times in the local paper, Princess.

"With but a step or two, we can catch up to the villains, I'm sure," Princess claimed with amused excitement twinkling in her purple eyes as she held out a hand. She tossed her head and glanced back inside the Pizza Hut. "I can bring a total of two or three with me, if anyone else requires aid in catching up with the dastards."

Spoiler

Princess can has Accurate Teleport to a distance of 8 miles and can carry an additional 400 pounds, so good for two or three additional people, depending on how much they watch their weight. She'll teleport them along roof tops until they catch up with the motorcyclists, going by sound and/or the disturbance of the traffic. Anyone feel free to move them along once the Princess train is filled up. She and her passengers get a faint aura in shades of pink when they teleport.

The first bike passed without registering for Riley, as did the second and even the third. It wasn't until they were piling up on one another as they whizzed pass, and then the spray of bullets, the Riley had any idea things were amiss. The three Riley's pulled down whoever was nearest to each of them as the glass shattered the loud peace of the Pizza Hut.  Sabastian's exit had her biting back words her parents wished she didn't know, not because she was angry at him but because he was right and she couldn't leap buildings to catch up. As each of the group made up their minds about going or staying and how to get there either way, Riley was wondering how much trouble she'd get in for 'borrowing' a car right now. Cosima's transformation provided a hopeful alternative.

Two of the three of her made their way to the local superheroine's side and stated, "Two of us could use a ride. The other one will walk back to campus, just in case."

Na'Atem, unable to see Keiko now, while being invisible herself, fumbled slightly as she stepped close to Keiko, standing chest to chest.

"Place you arms around me make certain your grip is firm. I will try to stay low, just in case." she said.

"₲ԙʨז ζԑѵiדּɐדּiⱺɳ." she says, speaking again in some unknown language as Keiko felt her gesturing. 

Once again Na'Atem visualized the various spell matrices she had constructed in her own pocket of the Astral Realm, this time focusing on the one she had devoted to her movement spells. Her gestures were mimicked in the astral pocket, where she wove threads of magic into the matrix in a specific arrangement for the effect she desired. Na'Atem then wrapped her arms around Keiko as the 'blind' girl felt Na'Atem begin to lift off from the ground, pulling her along thanks to their mutual embrace.

"Hold firm. We shall be upon the thieves shortly." she said as the invisible pair rose up a few dozen feet and began soaring above the street, rapidly closing in on the flashing police sirens.

Na'Atem was careful though, only proceeding at no more than half of the possible speed permitted by her spell, which was still easily twice the speed the thieves were traveling when they had passed the restaurant.

Spoiler

Na'Atem is using:

> Invisibility - Concealment 4: ALL Visual, Precise  

> Superior Levitation - Flight 7 (250mph), Subtle x2

Tatiana peered over the edge of the window seal as the bikes and police cars sped by her ears picking up the sounds of the radio waves, tuning out the other noises.

"It's the Wild Card 8 of them,  they just robbed The Diamond Exchange. Can we get expelled for doing this of campus?" she reaches into her bag as she speaks and pulls out a big folded red and white bandana. She quickly readjusts the folds, revealing two holes in the cloth."Father taught me to always be prepared. Lets do this!"

She quickly tied the bandana around her head covering her forehead and most of her nose, the holes lining up perfectly with her eyes. and lept through the broken window after Bastion.  She laughed as she saw him leap into the air with a stupendous jump

Taking a deep breath she began to emit a low basso rumble deep in her chest,  the tone built and she focused the sound through her mouth down and suddenly she was airborne. she adjust the pitch and volume and angled the sonic vibrations like a helicopter and flew into the sky after the speeding vehicles. As she rose the pitch changed again and her speed increased rocketing her past the speeding police cars and toward the fleeing gang.

"Then let us catch up to these... these, oh damn! I l already used dastards. Ruffians or rapscallions sound just... ugh!" Princess made a miffed snort before she offered her hands to a Riley apiece and shot her an excited grin. "Let's just get these pricks and make them pay for ruining our day."

Riley(s) felt a faint lurch, as though taking a quick step or a skipping hop, but there was no sense of disorientation. She didn't even feel as if she had taking more than that single step or skipping hop, yet suddenly they were several city blocks down the street standing on the coping surrounding the roof of a building. Princess waved at Sebastian jumping from rooftop to rooftop across the street, the fuschia aura fading around her and the Rileys.

"Now, which wa - ah! There they are!" Princess reclaimed the other Riley's hand and then they took another step.

Well, Curtis reflected, at least they did have answers. Cosima disappeared, so did Autumn and Keiko, Tatiana, just about everyone took off. And accompanied by that Princess girl, though Curtis felt like some part of his brain was trying to tell him something, but the other part had headphones on and was listening to really really good music. Peculiar. Well, he had built inventions that could be of use for this sort of situation, but they were still with his belongings at school.

If this was going to be a perennial occurrence, though, then they would need to be more available for easy access. And some identity-concealing equipment - a cloth mask was just scraping the bottom of the barrel. For now, at least one person(s) was demonstrating a reasonable attitude.

"I'll go with you." Curtis concurred as he joined Riley Three.

Qi didn't duck, but she did make subtle adjustments to where she was sitting and the bullets which may have hit her instead passed through empty air. As calm as she was she still had no clue what was going on as first one the another and finely all but Curtis and one of the Riley's had left to chase after the motorcyclists.

Qi made sure no one here needed her then lept up and over the table, through the shattered window and out into the parking lot. She looked around not stopping her effortless jumps from car top to car top then she made one stupendous (for her, it was nothing compared to the ones Bastion were making) leap to the power-lines running along he aside  the road.

Running as fast as she could along the lines like a squirrel, Qi raced after the last police car which slowed somewhat for a turn. She lept again flipping across the street to land on the line on the other side her stride  not faltering one bit. As fast as he could she ran leaping and flipping across the streets always chasing the last car until finally the police car slowed to make a turn at just the right moment. Qi lept, flipping and sailing thru the air like an Olympic gymnast landing on top of the police car with barely a jolt she crouched finger holding on the the edges of the cruisers roof where the body and door met.

In this manner she rode the rest of the way to the confrontation with the Gangmembers.

Eight blocks.  That's how long it took the police to loose three patrol cars, wreck seven civilian vehicles, take out a fire hydrant and almost take out the 11:45 to the Cannery.  It wasn't the police's fault, for the most part, motorcycles were hard to catch, especially since they had every advantage in the alleyways and through the narrow traffic lanes.  What motorcycles couldn't do, was fly.  The young heroes from Claremont were soaring, teleporting, or leaping all over the city in pursuit of the Wild Cards.

When they split up, the team took off after them.  Four went one way, towards the West Side and the rest went to the East, and they gave pursuit until all the bike met together again a couple blocks down the way.  These guys seriously new the city and had the route perfectly planned.  By the time they all met up again they'd lost several more of the police cars.

Rick walked out of the Pizza Hut and everyone was gone.  He looked around to the left, the right... no one.  "It's cool guys, I'll catch up."

Without the impeding traffic, the team was able to far exceed the racing bikes.  Hooking turns a 80 miles per hour was never a good idea and every time they slowed down to hook a turn, the team got closer, and closer.  Finally they were far enough ahead that they could ambush the thieves as they rounded the next avenue.

Bastion landed on a building with a hard thud.  He could hear the Wild Card speeding down the avenue, the police still attempting to keep chase.  He pulled off his shirt and wrapped it around his head, using the neckline as a mask tying is tight like a ninja's hood.

From their vantage points the heroes sat and waited... they could hear the Wild Cards tearing down the street... then they saw them.  The riders were all dresses in white biker leathers, on their left breast/shoulder was an emblem of a black spade.  Their helmets were polished white, with the same spade emblem on the side of the helmet, their visors were tinted black.  There appeared to be 5 males and three females, each on their own bike.

Spoiler

There is no rolling initiative.  You guys are going to wipe the floor with these thugs.  Each of you could single handedly wipe out all eight of them.  That doesn't they're dumb, they're just not prepared for super powered opposition.

This a free form battle, it's all dialogue, no rolls, strictly RP.  Handle it how you guys wanna.  You should know that one post is one round worth of actions so I shouldn't see Cosima post, then Qi post, then Cosima post again afterwards.  If you meant to do something, say something, act in some way and you forgot?  Well, then you forgot.

Whomever posts first, goes first, second is second... and that's your initiative order.  Baddies will go last, because this is a casual battle.  There is an opportunity for everyone to win +1 Bonus PPs at the end, depending on how your characters handle the fight.  If you need their stats, they are 'Thugs' found in the book on page 218.  They are armed with submachine guns and light pistols (but not both, so if the Thug has an SMG he/she not carrying a pistol too).

Remember, have fun.

"Thanks," Riley said with a sincere smile as they made their way out of the Pizza Hut. It was a little disorienting, all the jumping about with Princess while also just walking back to campus with Curtis. She ended up almost walking into him a couple of times and eventually linked an arm with him. "Sorry," she apologized again, "I'm just a little dizzy. So...should we tell people at school about everyone else running off into danger yet or not?"

1 hour ago, Dave ST said:

From their vantage points the heroes sat and waited... they could hear the Wild Cards tearing down the street... then they saw them.  The riders were all dresses in white biker leathers, on their left breast/shoulder was an emblem of a black spade.  Their helmets were polished white, with the same spade emblem on the side of the helmet, their visors were tinted black.  There appeared to be 5 males and three females, each on their own bike.

Tat crouched behind a UPS truck until she heard the bikes closing in. She had seen Bastion land on a building across the street Impressed by his jumping ability, but she wasn't going to wait.

She stepped out from the cover of the truck her voice already starting it's shrill trilling deep in her throat. She let the sound go focusing it into a pencil thin beam she aimed the silent scream at the bike in the lead aiming not for the rider but at the bike itself. The powerful sonic beam traveled at the speed of sound striking the ground right in front of the speeding motorcycle. On impact the beam blossomed into a ball of sonic vibratory destruction, chewing up road and ripping the front wheel clean off the bike with a bone shaking sonic boom which rattled and cracked windows up and down the block.

The bike flipped into the air it's unprepared rider sent flying to hit the road and skid to a stop only a few feet from Tatiana's stiletto clad feet.

"Wrong day to shoot up a pizza place, Мудак!"

As Autumn rocketed away from the Pizza Hut with Keiko hanging on for dear life, a dwindling should could be heard their wake:

"HOLEEE SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiii...."

By the time they had intercepted the hooligans, she'd managed to go from expletives to frantic giggling to now, something approaching excited coherence.

"Drop me!" she urged Autumn.

...or maybe not.

"What?" asked the magic-empowered girl, startled.

Keiko repeated herself, "Drop me! It's fine!" She had already let go.

So Autumn did as well! When in Emerald City, after all...

The now-plummeting would-be hero concentrated, holding herself up as best she could...which wound up slowing her fall considerably. She then created a holographic image of herself ahead and a little off to one side from her actual position. Well, not exactly herself. More like herself if she was wearing a black bodysuit with a white fox noh-mask and sporting a pair of orange and white fox tails swishing in the air behind her. Oh, and a glowing halo because why not?

"STOP THERE!" called the falling fox-faced figure in a voice loud enough to boom over the noise of traffic and sirens. "For it is the law in the Heavens that every injustice shall be met by retribution! KITSUNE-BI!"

A lance of solid light speared out from the illusion, drawing a line in front of the speeding cycles that erupted in flame and smoke like a wall cutting them off!

It was too late to simply turn, as the 'wall' was an arc. Two riders desperately braked to a halt and managed to ditch their bikes and run for cover. A third tried to do the same but wiped out and tumbled across asphalt while the bike skidded on ahead through the roaring flames. The last decided to take his chances and sped through! He quickly realized that the wall was not only not solid, but wasn't even hot!

Keiko cursed as she touched down to the ground, along with her illusory double. The flamewall evaporated into smoke and dissipated so it wouldn't interfere with anyone else's moves.

"You've got to be kidding me," Sebastian said, rolling his eyes.  "Kitsune-Bi?"

He could not argue her results, however.  Tat was already knocking out bikes and Keiko had already taken several off their rides too.  Good, that made them easier to catch.

He leapt from he building.  The pavement cracked as he landed but it didn't slow him down.  He looked like some ninja warrior... if ninja's were Conan.  He was pure muscle, like he was chiseled from stone... apt, considering it was his last name.  More bikes sped down the way, and he reached out his hand and grabbed he rear of one, the metal crunched and bent on his iron grip.  The bike stopped instantly.  The rider didn't.

"You clowns almost killed a little girl."  He glared through the cloth of his t-shirt mask while he walked towards the rider he'd dismounted.  "But who cares right?  As long as you get your pay day."

"Who are you man?"  The modulated voice of the rider echoed through the helmet.  "What're you talking about?!  What little girl?"  The thug produced a pistol and proceeded to empty the clip.  Every bullet punched into Sebastian's body but not a single one broke his skin, or his stride.  It was true what he said earlier... he was invulnerable!

"My friends and I are here to make short work of you and yours.  Hope you brought better than bullets."

"I'm guessing you weren't around to hear the interim headmaster's speech." Curtis told Riley. "I don't know what Headmaster Drumm's degree of leniency would be, but Mr. Steele clearly has zero-tolerance for costumed student heroics." Curtis could imagine the various range of consequences for flouting his decree on the very first day, none of them pretty. "While I'm already finding myself not fond of Cosima, for instance, I'd rather not be the cause of her sudden expulsion. Or any of the others - or yourself, since two of you are involved. And given both the element of surprise and their powers, I don't think they're in any serious risk from a group of motorcycle hoodlums."

• Matt changed the title to IC: S1:E1 - Welcome to Hero High!

Archived