IC: S1:E1 - Welcome to Hero High!

Dave ST

Na'Atem looked around, taking in her surroundings, but always keeping an eye on the tour guide. She was taken aback a bit by Professor Keating, and blinked at him several times. He was so animated and exuberant, something that Na'Atem had not been in a very, very long time which, in a way, made her a little sad.

"I am Autumn Evermore. It is a pleasure to meet you, Professor Keating. I am certain that with your guidance and tutelage, we will succeed in out endeavor." she said to him, though she want not entirely sure what the endeavor actually was just yet.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tat grimaced at the thought of what she was wearing but marched down the aisle to join her new classmates.

She stopped in front of the strange little teacher. "My apologies for being late, I had to see the Headmaster." She had to bite her lips to keep from laughing as she said that..."My name is Tatiana Balankova," she says, her voice a sultry contralto with a hint of a Russian accent, as she gives Prof. Keating a  little curtsy, "and I am new here and in this class." She makes a look over of the other students and her face brightens with recognition when she see's Cosima.

"Oh my god your Cosima Vandersteen!"

Though Cosima found the vivacious Professor Keating quite darling, she was miffed that it seemed he was turning his director's eye on Connie and the other girls rather than her. With a expansive social media presence and a starring role in big niche television programming, she naturally assumed she would have first pic of roles for their theater production. Behind a forced facade of politeness, Cosima silently fumed.

So when the new girl arrived and immediately recognized her, Cosima preened and beamed her a wide smile. "Why, yes, I am!" Cosima confirmed brightly, standing straight and striking a pose. "And I'm sure we're all going to have great fun making and performing our theater production." She shot Professor Keating a brief, reproachful glance, believing he should have known who she was. Her brows furrowed slightly as she gave the new girl's attire a once over and tasted her name on her tongue. "Tatiana Balankova... ? That sounds vaguely familiar, have we met before at some gala or red carpet event? Please forgive me if I've forgotten."

Being invisible was fun, but kind of lonely. Like, it was great when you wanted to sneak around...but Keiko hadn't come here to do that. There were kids all over the place and walking between them unseen, like she wasn't even there, was kind of bumming her out after just a few minutes. So she 'painted' over herself an image OF herself. A handy trick she'd practiced for quite awhile. It meant she could easily split the image off and let it distract from her...if, for example the Wonder Twins decided to come back...but otherwise meant people could see her and talk to her just fine. Or thought they could. And that was really just as good, right? She dropped the blind thing completely...at first because she kind of forgot, but then decided what was the POINT of it? She didn't have to hide what she could do here!

The next thing she did was find a purpose. Just wandering around aimlessly was depressing too! But she still needed to swing by registration and get a printout and maybe get a campus map and...there were actually a bunch of things that would NORMALLY be covered under orientation that she now had to do herself and that was actually kind of cool! By the time she got to Admissions and Records Keiko was all smiles again, the unpleasantness behind her if not actually forgotten.

A little while later, after a line and some computer problems delayed things a bit but gave her time to make conversation with the secretaries, she was hitting up the cafeteria for a snack and marking her classes on the cartoony cute campus map in the orientation packet she picked up after having 'lost' the one she'd gotten already. Ironically, Keiko found herself to be a visual learner. Seeing where the classes were compared to each other helped a lot.

Sigh. Lots of classes this semester. Too bad she couldn't make an actual copy of herself and make IT do all the work.

But of course, if it knew everything she did, it would kind of be her...and then it wouldn't want to do it all either. Ugh. Stupid super powers!

Huh, she had a drama class, that might be fun at least. Keiko consulted the map and decided she had time to check the theater out before she actually had to do anything responsible for the day. Maybe missing out on orientation wasn't so bad after all! Plenty of time to do things the way SHE liked to do them! Those guys were probably touring the smelly gymnasium or getting a lame lecture as they patrolled the math department or something.

Hah!

She got up and grabbed her bag and headed across towards the theater building.

21 hours ago, Princess said:

So when the new girl arrived and immediately recognized her, Cosima preened and beamed her a wide smile. "Why, yes, I am!" Cosima confirmed brightly, standing straight and striking a pose. "And I'm sure we're all going to have great fun making and performing our theater production." She shot Professor Keating a brief, reproachful glance, believing he should have known who she was. Her brows furrowed slightly as she gave the new girl's attire a once over and tasted her name on her tongue. "Tatiana Balankova... ? That sounds vaguely familiar, have we met before at some gala or red carpet event? Please forgive me if I've forgotten."

Tat shakes her head and make a short laugh that sounds a lot like a grunt. "Ah, no. We have never met but i have seen you on the Television."

She laughs again, "I do hope they paid you well."

"Better than the Kardashians at any rate," Cosima said breezily as she laughed along with Tatiana.

It was clear the Danish-American Princess held more satisfaction with besting the rival Reality TV clan that she was with how much she earned from her television appearances, which when compared to her trust fund and the over Vandersteen family business interests, was a mere pittance. She didn't do it for the money, she did it for the fun and to be seen, especially now that she was undoubtedly the 'hawt' Vandersteen sister.

"It's not quite as easy to play yourself on screen as most people think, you know," she added musingly, more than willing to talk more about herself. "then upping the drama on some things that are just banal and mundane. Alas, such is the price of fame. I've been considering my own show, a travelogue series, looking at food, fashion, and fun around the world, since travel is so easy for me now." She smiled a mega-watt smile at Tatiana and the others, and flashing Sebastian a wink. "Perhaps some of you would care to come along for an episode? Free travel and fine food, and a per-diem."

Cosima pursed her lips in thought then arched an elegantly shaped brow at Professor Keating. "Our production, does it have to be performed in front of an audience or could we, say, film it on location and submit a digital recording?"

Oh my god she's too easy, Tat thought to herself, first day tat try to get along.

"You were definitely the more grounded sister,much better acting, the others seemed so...so fake. You know plastic. You seemed so much more real and true"

57 minutes ago, Princess said:

Cosima pursed her lips in thought then arched an elegantly shaped brow at Professor Keating. "Our production, does it have to be performed in front of an audience or could we, say, film it on location and submit a digital recording?"

Tat looks at her folded up school class schedule and sees a Drama class listed. "Wait we get to do a show? Ohо мой Бог! Tell me it is a musical, yes?"

"A musical, a drama, an action packed thrill ride filled with martial arts and boulders rolling through narrow tunnels,"  With a flair for the dramatic he open his arms out wide and gestured to the stage.  "You may make what you like, how you like it, within reason or course.  In the words of the late Gene Wilder 'we are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream.'."

Stepping away from everyone so they could all see him he took a moment to explain.  "First, the business," about this time young Keiko opened the door and walked in.  Teres narrowed her eyes into a scowl and straightened herself from where she was leaning against on of the velvet seats.  Professor Keating smiled.  "Greetings and salutations, student of this academy you are in a temple of the arts, shed your glamours and be welcomed for who you are."

"Professor, I had her removed the group for disruptive behavior."  Teres swiftly pointed out.

He looked to the cocoa skinned beauty and smiled.  "And so she was, and here she is,"  He lingered no more upon the topic and Teres seemed to dare not push the point.  As Keiko quietly rejoined the group, he continued.  "Where was I... ah, business.  I will be your class  sponsor.  That means that I am to assist you acclimating yourself to your new environment here at the academy.  That said, my door is obviously always open so should you need anything please, do not hesitate.  If you need to talk, I am here, also I encourage you to talk to Eileen Gomez, the school' guidance counselor.  I would love to share all sorts of common sense tidbits about trudging along this path adolescent maturing you all have embarked on... but the state feels you need a degree to warn young adults not to take hallucinogens and have sex with strangers,"  he shrugged.  "By the way, don't have sex with strangers," he amended, curiously leaving the former portion of his statement open for interpretation.  "Now, as a warning, and a reminder, you are no longer in public school so the rules you are used to no longer apply.  This is a private academy and for all intents and purposes we are your guardians if you are away from home, please, don't be stupid.  While you are in my temple to the performing arts," he glares menacingly at the whole lot of them.  "If any of you call it 'drama' like what's written on your schedules we will spend an entire week sampling the very best of horrendous B rated cinema while you perform interpretive dance... to Yani."

"It's not pretty..." Teres offered, visibly wincing.

"I am a harsh taskmaster.  I expect the best from all of you.  My job is not to 'teach drama'," he tilted his head to the side and made a gagging noise, accented with his stuck out tongue.  "I will teach you self-confidence.  I will teach you to overcome your fears.  I will introduce you to a world where you can feel comfortable in your own skin, free of the weight of others people's opinions upon your shoulders, but most of all... we'll have tons of fun.  My tantrums are merciless and brutal!  I insult, I belittle, I yell and I'll have at least one of you in tears, mark my words... I offer up no apologies.  The world out there is not kind, and not matter how fierce it gets you will come to learn that greatest feat to conquering all the bad things in your life... is coming back to look them in the eye everyday and defiantly saying 'I'm back, you better step up your game'."

"Secondly," he looked to Cosima.  "No, you may not record it and hand it in.  We do actual acting here, Miss Vandersteen, if you pay attention, you may learn how," there it was, the first snide, snark-ridden jibe of the semester.  He delivered it with all the catty flair of jilted gay lover.  "What we do here will be something you're not quite accustomed to... it's known as 'hard work' and 'putting in the hours'.  Your class's masterpiece will be performed upon that stage for an event that Jericho, Headmaster Drumm, likes to call our 'Winter Claremont Social'... the name needs work, I know.  Every year he invites all of Emerald City's finest to come and mingle in the halls of our academy for an evening of theater, mingling, fund-raising and finishes it all off with a grand gala where we all dance and play music the older people can't dance to.  The mayor, the police commissioner, the chief, military brass, you name it, they will all be here... watching... you."

"Now, that said, congratulations.  You all pass," he offered them a golf clap.

Sebastian looked confused.  "What do you mean we all pass... j-just like that?"

"Exactly as it sounds, young man who has yet to introduce himself but is obviously The Brute Squad.  I mean you all have already passed this class.  Walk out those doors, show up every morning here for homeroom, sit and read a book or whatever, and you will still pass this class.  No strings, no catch.  A passing grade will appear on your report card.  As they say, 'C's get degrees'."

There was a moment of silence, they were waiting for the punchline.  A class where all you had to do was show up and you passed... already Claremont was way better than public schools.  "Now, Miss Vandersteen said something that got me thinking, along with utterly confused: 'it's not quite as easy to play yourself'.  Now, never withing these hallowed halls of effective expression has wiser words been spoken... also, they are absolute bollocks."

He thrust his hand into the air and as he bellowed the acoustics gripped tight his words and threw them louder upon the air.  "A paradox!  We stand juxtaposed within our own skins!  We struggle under the mask of the person we think we are... yet wrestle with the world as we display what we want them see, to be what they want us to be, who the need us to be.  I feel no one understands this more that you, teenagers.  So, you may thank Miss Vandersteen for tonight's assignment, since we get very little done on orientation days... write an assay, tell me who you are, really.  I assure you, no one but me will read it and if you want your secrets to stay secret I accept bribes of chocolate and old Ginger Rogers films, actual film, not that disc stuff you kids use today."

Spoiler

This will be your first assignment.  As players, write the essay about your character and submit it in one of your posts within this thread, perhaps in conclusion to this first school day.  Just throw it in your last post in a hidden box like this.  If you're not sure what I mean, I'll do it for Bastion first so you can all see an example.

And like that, Professor Keating had clearly pushed the evaluation of him to 'a very wise, wise sage.' Anyone who could tell off the clearly mindless Vandersteen like that clearly was meant for great things. Unlike the new addition, who seemed to regard Cosima as something of a role model. Well, enough wasting valuable brain-time on their inanities. The initial assignment looked like an easily handled matter.

"No problem to me."

Having just strolled in on all this, Keiko was having to mentally sprint to keep up, but she thought she was getting it. It was pretty much raining ferrets and balls of yarn right now because not only did she seem to have at least one awesome class...she got to piss off the Wonder Twins in a completely plausibly deniable way!

But it was not her nature to just roll over.

"An essay about who we really are? Doesn't that seem kind of... Well, I mean, isn't that why we're here to start with?" Keiko shrugged. "We're kids, in school. We're still learning who we really are, right? Anything we write now's just a work in progress."

"That's positively brilliant, young lady, very insightful if that's what you truly believe." Professor Keating offered up a whimsical smile at the young Japanese student.  "Now, imagine how that would have looked on paper!"

"Ladies and Gentleman, please, I know that you are all strangely wise beyond your apparent years, but in the effort to allow me to do my teaching... thing I need you to actually do the assignments... not engage in philosophical debate, that degree comes later.  However, for the record, yes.  Quite honestly, from now until the day you pass from this Earth if you are not a work in progress, you're doing it wrong.  Unless you're a 20th level Monk.  Now, all of you!  Run along, your day is over, go play video games, go see the city, 'chillax' in your rooms.  Take the time to get to know one another, and of course, if you have questions I'm here.  Providing those questions are actual questions and not inquisitive statements that would look better in your assignment than burrowing in my ear holes.  If any of the faculty gives you issues, especially Mr. Steele," the fact that he didn't use 'Headmaster' wasn't lost on anyone.  "Please inform them I've let you off, and refer them to me.  Now, have fun, you're only young once!"

"Oh, sweet!"  Bastian was the first to express his excitement.  "Y'all wanna get like an Uber... or two, and head out for some lunch or something?  I had breakfast like an hour and a half ago... so lemme tell ya, I'm starved," He already had his phone in his hand.  "I think I've almost figured this app out... kinda of a new thing for me, we don't have Uber in Shelby."  Some were left to wonder if he was hungry, or just wanted to play with his new app.

Though Na'Atem had leaned this new languages, English, she still only understood about half of what Prof. Keating said, leaving her a little lost. She assumed one of the others, Curtis perhaps, could explain things to her afterwards.

Keiko's return and the arrival of the new girl, had not gone un-noticed by her either. She was familiar with the clothing the new girl was wear, they were similar to the first clothing Na'Atem had worn after finally shedding the shroud of at the university. Had she come from a gym class? Morning exercise?

"With a city as dense as this, there may be options just off of campus, within walking distance. Investigating such possibilities might be helpful in the future and save coin for other uses as well." Na'atem offered to Bastion.

"Yeah," He smiled to Autumn.  "I'm totally cool with that."  He couldn't argue, all the girls in his class were smoking hot.  Well, dreadlock-girl was kinda scary looking, but the Russian accent was totally on par with hotness.  A down home country boy like himself couldn't help but feel honored to spend the day with such lovliness... if that was word... he wasn't sure.

"What're y'all in the mood for?  Burgers, steaks, buffet?" He may as well punctuated it with 'by the way, I'm a red meat eating, buffet hopping red neck!'.  He hardly considered that someone here might be on some special new age diet or trying not to eat gluten despite not even knowing what Celiac's Disease was.  As an after thought he realized that maybe not everyone had his taste in food, considering half the class was Asian.  He delivered a compromise in an awkward yet adorable 'I'm trying not to offend anyone' tone.  "Uh... Chinese?"

Oh great, does this mean we have to write three essays?

Don't be silly, only if all three of us show up to the class and why would we do that?

You two are both birdbrains. Just sayin'. Room's done, btw. If people want someone to run for food, I'm up for it. That or I'm taking a nap and going out tonight for some nightlife.

Because we haven't had enough culture shock in one day, now you're going to try to sneak into a club or something?

Correction, birdbrain, you think it's an awesome idea or I wouldn't have had it. 

Pppppbbbbblt.

"I like both," Riley offered somewhat timidly. "Mexican's fine too, or something new. Burgers and steaks are awesome! Lunch does sound pretty good, but I'm sure there's something at the cafeteria here if we can't leave the campus." Sha laughed and nodded to Keiko, "But she is right. These many people are pretty much a pizza party in the making. With wings. And those little apple fritter things if we order from Pizza Hut."

Cosima gave Professor Keating a cool look when he accused her of being responsible for the entire group getting homework when it was clearly his own insanity. But her fetching purple eyes began growing wide in mounting horror as her companions began talking about what they should do with the rest of their free day.

Cosima quirked a brow at Autumn. Her shoes weren't meant for walking, and why would she, went she had a driver and car on hand and could teleport just about anywhere in the E.C, with a thought and anywhere in the world with slightly more effort? She shivered delicately when Sebastion suggested getting an Uber - not even a proper car service, instead being driven around by who knew who in who knew what.

But it was Riley who almost made Cosima drop mouth open in disbelief. She had nothing against Pizza as an idea, but something as pedestrian as Pizza Hut? Wasn't the pizza there practically the same as the frozen stuff one could get in a common grocery store? She shuddered at the thought and shook her head vehemently.

"No, no! J'adore pizza, but Pizza. Hut?! Just no. I doubt that can hardly be classified as food, let alone pizza." She gave another shudder and waved the thought away with a dismissive, perfectly manicured hand. "I know a lovely Italian place on Royal Heights, Pizzeria Mozza. Some of the best crust and best real pizza I've had anywhere, including Italy, and some other excellent Italian cuisine as well. If we can all decide on going there is the best recourse, I would be more than grateful to cover our outing today. I even have my car and driver waiting for me in the parking lot."

"Royal Heights? Is that within walking distance? If not, it defeats the purpose of finding a place within walking distance that we can easily frequent with our patronage while attending this Academy". Na'Atem said.

"You may be royalty, Princess Cosima Helena, Countess of Monpezat, and with that often comes a more refined pallet, and you may be used to having your wishes given deference, but if you are to break bread, with... commoners... as it were, then some flexibility may be in order." the young woman offered.

Breaking bread would be good. Since her awakening, Na'Atem's only friends were her adoptive family, and maybe Dragoneye. it would not be bad to have others. At the very least, they could help her understanding of the world as it was now, well beyond what she had learned from the Evermores, some books and documentaries.

Sebastian thumbed through the menu on his phone.  Cosima waited patiently for his opinion of the place, noticing less his expression and more the way his t-shirt seemed vacuum sealed to his jock-bod.  "Goat Cheese, Leeks, Scallions, Garlic & Bacon,"  his face scrunched in disgust.  "Sweet baby Jesus... no, no... just no... Cosima, darlin' I can't in good conscience let you take us to a place like this.  You need to come with us, to the Hut of Pizza, where us Blue Collar people get cheese and pepperoni and... fat, and hate themselves afterwards.  Self-loathing is an American pastime after a good pizza party."

He smiled at Autumn.  "And bread sticks are a must, so everyone can break all they want."

Spoiler

Once we get past the decision stage, some one just take us there in their post.  The remainder of this thread is open RP so the PCs can get to know one another without the Atlanean Demon Twins looming over Na'Atem and the rest of group.

"How will you know you don't like it if you never try it, 'Bastian? Just something to consider," Cosima countered with a teasing grin as she patted his forearm. "It's not that I have a refined pallet, it's that I have a worldly one, willing to try new things and new food." Her eyes glittered enigmatically. "And I don't get fat," Ever! "and self-loathing when you have an incredible life is a bore, and worse, a waste. If eating so much it hurts makes you happy, go for it." She grinned broadly. "I've done it, more than once."

Cosima bowed her head towards Autumn in acknowledgment of her title, even though she had said it wasn't necessary. Many would be surprised that Cosima and her siblings were treated differently more often for their ridiculously wealthy Vandersteen side side of the family than for being Danish Royalty. "I can be flexible, Autumn, as long as that flexibility is extended both ways. If everything was determined by the masses, nothing exceptional or unique would ever be attempted, and art would be a meager thing indeed. So, lead on. To Pizza Hut!"

The princess still couldn't quite repress a shudder at the thought, but to her credit, didn't complain about walking the distance in her heels. In fact, walking in heels for her seemed effortless and she was at her ease, simply sending a text to her driver that she would make her own way back home. In a bit, there were outside the Pizza Hut two blocks from campus.

Cosima looked at it doubtfully. Autumn looked mildly puzzled. Everyone else just started going in, not seeing anything wrong or untoward, just eager for cheap pizza and bread sticks.

"I thought you said this was a hut? This is not a hut," Autumn commented

"It's figurative," Curtis explained in passing.

"It's a bout of gastrointestinal distress, is what it is," Cosima muttered under her breath before flashing Autumn a slightly tight smile. "Welcome to the commoners' place of Pizza."

Cosima followed everyone else in with a put upon sigh and only took a seat at the booth after surreptitiously wiping it as clean as she could telekinetically. "So, what passes for good in this place?"

"I am not familiar with the pizza here. My.. family... would get pizza made by a man named John, who was proud to have children it seemed, and somebody else named Dominoe. It was new to be and not unpleasant. Both of them seem to be decent cooks." Na'Atem said as she took a seat, looking around and looking over the menu.

"We would get a pizza with.. what is the word... pineapple on it, and ham. It as tasty, as well as sweet knots of bread with the cinnamon spice on it." she added as she idly rubbed the small stone hanging at the top of the valley of her breasts.

"Omigod Hawaiian pizza is the best!" Keiko enthused, practically hopping up and down in her seat for a second. "Dad hates it because it's too sweet but it's the best!"

She leaned over and extended a hand towards Autumn.

"From now on, we are sworn pizza sisters. We shall overcome the forces of gross gourmet pizza with the power of the pineapple of love!"

A glowing golden pineapple appeared in the air over Keiko's hand and slowly revolved, throwing off little glints of light.

The whole thing was ridiculous, but at least people didn't seem entirely unreasonable or stuck up. She laughed at Keiko's glowing golden pineapple of love, which made Autumn's strangeness pass right over the homeschooled girl's head for the time being. "I love the veggie or supreme, on the regular menu. Anything with mushrooms is good, though, and I'll even go in for an Alfredo pizza if anyone else wants some."

"But to be fair," another Riley said entering with a third one close on the second's heels, "I eat for three so, I'll spring for at least one pizza by myself."

The third Riley (dressed almost identically, but they had three different Dr. Who shirts on) leaned up against the counter, staring up at the menu. "So, pizzas, bread sitcks, garlic knots, and apple pies are all a must. The pasta is....acceptable, if you're starving and they're out of everything else. Oh! Hey! They actually still have P'zones here. Those are pretty good, too, especially the sausage kind."

The first Riley was trying not to blush, hoping no one made a huge scene at the appearance of the rest of herself. But c'mon, who passes up pizza?

Curtis cocked a head at the appearance of two more Rileys. "Interesting. So can you make more clones, or are you three people at once? Do you have a mental link, or do you all keep your thoughts to yourself?" He had to remind himself to put a check on his questioning. "It's just very impressive. Fascinating. Uh, cool."

Na'Atem blinked and look a bit confused at Keiko and the shining, spinning pineapple floating in the air.

"Pizza sisters?" she asked as she reached out, at first intending to grasp Keiko's forearm, near the elbow, but then she caught herself, and move her hand back to Keiko's in the modern greeting, shaking it.

The girl was strange to her, but then again, they all were, as was this world. Even in the time since she slipped from death's shroud she had learn about the world, but it was still very strange to her... especially with sooooo many people in the world now. Still, Keiko at least looked more... familiar.. to her than most.

"That is so lit." Sebastian said with a wide smile.  "There's three of you.  Three Rileys, that's Triley."  No one was surprised he seemed proud of his name for her.  He then leaned into the table and looked at Keiko.  "Uh, Keiko... I don't think we're supposed to be using our powers off campus.  Might wanna chill with the hocus pocus.  Could freak someone out."

"Awww. She gets to be her own barbershop quartet, but I can't bask in a pineapple's bright glare?" Keiko shrugged, and the shiny fruit vanished.

Then she nodded at Autumn. "Well, pizza sister, Triley can have her salad pizza, but at least we know what we're getting."

"So what did you guys think of the orientation? Did I miss anything good?"

"Eh, not really," Sebastian offered, shrugging as he looked at a menu he didn't plan on ordering from.  "A lot of 'that's that, and over there is that'.  Nothing particularly exciting.  It got pretty cool when the Keating dude got involved, but then the homework... so, yeah."  He thumbed to Triley, "I'm not trying to come down on you Keiko, and honestly... I have no idea how to tell her to put her self away, y'know?  I mean... can she?"

"Multiple births no longer happen? Because if they do, then Riley is simply appears to be identical triplets. Uncommon, but perfectly normal. A floating, glowing pineapple, on the other hand, is not." Na'Atem explained and then returned her attention to Keiko.

"It was a very pretty pineapple though. Very well done, and far better than I could do. Conjuration and Illusions, aside from invisibility, are things I am not very proficient in." she said to Keiko with a smile as she .

Na'Atem did wonder though how she knew what one looked like though. She could feel it, yes, but touch alone would not allow for such an image. Maybe she had been sighted once? Maybe the blindness was just an act to lead to others underestimating her? All good questions, but best saved for a more private conversation. She did not wish to put her on the spot in the crowded booth.

Na'Atem thought about Keiko's question for a moment, going over the morning in her head.

"Orientation was... confusing? I learned English, but there are still many phrases I do not understand. Once gained from living in the culture, so much of what Professor Keating said I am not sure I fully understood." she shared.

Tatiana followed along behind the other kids aside from her earlier exuberance at recognizing the Vandersteen girl, she kept pretty quiet. She had never had friends or even really been around kids her own, or any age for that matter. Until now she had been home schooled with her demanding father overseeing her education, only her mother had seen to it that she had any interaction with other children, but even those had been prearranged playdates with approved kids on her mothers list.

This was a chance to see how real kids (as real as kids with super powers could be) acted and got along.

Pizza was not something that was served in their home but she wasn't going to let any of these know that, the smell was nice and it made her tummy rumble when they entered the restaurant. Instead of joining them at the table right away, Tat went straight to the ladies room.

The teacher said they were done for the day, so that meant no more dress code. As soon as the door swung shut she put her big bag on the sink counter and peeled off the baggy sweat shirt and then the shoes and pant. She fixed her makeup and at the last moment decided to let her hair down. A fast couple of swings of the head and her nearly waist length dreads were free.

Once again dressed as herself, 4 inch heels and all, a completely different looking Tatiana exited the bathroom and made her way to the table just as the rest were placing their orders.

Spoiler

51f0d541f9b5ca92bf5f1be62bc0e9e1.jpg

She relished the looks.

“Just a salad for me please, with vinaigrette and a large diet coke. Thank you.” She said to the waitress as she sat in the last remaining seat next to the geeky looking fellow with the glasses.

“So...I am Tatiana, but you can call me Tat or Tats,” she brushed her arm indicating the vivid tattoos, “I missed the introductions earlier so what are all of you called?”

This was a first for Qi.

Her first visit to an American Restaurant, The Pizza Hut! Po her guardian who had accompanied her from China had ordered the delectable item on more than one occasion since their arrival during the summer, the food was cheap and it was delivered.

But this...this was amazing, Po always got the same kind, cheese with onions, and Qi had thought that that was all pizza was but hen she heard the other kids talking about what they wanted on theirs and her eyes got big with wonder. She wanted to try them all!

She slid into the booth next to the wall, so she could watch the traffic outside the window. Everyone drove cars here, she saw no horses or oxen, no animals at all except dogs and cats, she had been surprised when they walked.

Rick slid in next to her, she smiled at him. “I don't know what to get ,you order for me please, just no cheese and onion.”

Like every one else she looked at Tatiana when she came back to the table...Transformed.

Shelby Montana was what could only be described as a 'cultural black hole'.  It Tats loved the looks she got looking 'different', Sebastian knew just the city for her.  They sure didn't make them like her out in Montana, sturdy, multi-hued... and Russian.  He was used to jeans and t-shirts, and when it was summer time, maybe cut-offs and bikini tops but here?  The girls were just all over the place.  He was so out of his element, it wasn't even funny.

He stood up and extended his hand, his country boy manners took the reigns of his body.  "Oh, I am so sorry, I forgot you weren't here for all that.  "I'm Stone, Sebastian Stone.  Everyone just calls me 'Bastian, for short.  Guess the extra syllabus is too much."  He smiled, awkwardly at his own joke.  "Quite impressive ink you got there, not often people our age have stuff like that yet."  He nodded with a smirk.  "Pretty cool."

"I think you meant 'syllable'." Cosima said softly.

"Yeah, one of those too," He nodded.  "Y'know, Connie, I usually eat a pizza or two on my own," the alone garnered him a few looks at the table.

"Geez, Bastian, where do you put it?!" The more outspoken of the Trileys asked.  "You're built like a tank."

"Hey, Big Dog's gotta eat," He patted his stomach and smiled.  "My metabolism's jacked, started a few years ago, been going through groceries like no one's business.  If you'r not sure what you will like Connie, you are more than welcome to have a piece of mine, if you don't like it, trust me, it won't go to waste.  Sample some of everything, see what suits ya.  I don't mind sharin'."

Qi beams a smile at the very muscle bound, very impressive and attractive looking male (not that Qi notices that sort of thing of course). "That is so very kind of you Bastion." Qi says shyly

"I had no idea there were so many kinds of pizza. Really there is so much food here in America so many different kinds It is all quite overwhelming. It is a good thing I workout so much or I would statrt to look like a Buddha before long." She giggles a little at her own joke.

Na'Atem could hear Tat and finally looked over to her when she asked for introductions.

"I am called... Autumn." she said, still having to catch herself at times, "Autumn Evermore." she said, introdcing herself to the Russian girl.

"I am adopted." she added, some added somewhat awkwardly, as if one could not tell by her accent.

She spoke English well enough, but still had an accent that was nearly impossible to nail do to a specific Asian or Polynesian country, as were her looks. At times and from certain perspectives, she looked like she could be from various countries.

Na'Atem then caught herself again and extended a hand, leaning forward toward Tat, causing the stone on her necklace to sway... the stone faintly glowing maybe?

"Well we don't have to be shy about our pizza," Keiko points out with a grin. "Not with Coco buying. What we need is like...a pizza where each slice is a different kind of pizza. A multipizza. Tatiana! Do they have multipizzas in Russia?"

Keiko turned a little to focus on Tatiana. It was a little odd...her face was pointed at the Russian girl, but her eyes still weren't quite locked onto her. She'd been doing that the whole conversation in fact, Facing whoever was speaking without quite looking at them.

But then again, she didn't have her cane or clicker out anymore either, and hadn't since she'd encountered them at the theater.

The second Asian girl spoken with an odd accent  which intrigued Tat.

26 minutes ago, Autumn Evermore / Spellstone said:

Na'Atem then caught herself again and extended a hand, leaning forward toward Tat, causing the stone on her necklace to sway... the stone faintly glowing maybe?

Tatiana took the offered hand and gave a firm hand shake, Autumn noticed the strong grip, Tat pursed her lips at the stone dangling at the girls neck...also intriguing.  "A pleasure to meet you Autumn.

25 minutes ago, Keiko Ichimura said:

Keiko turned a little to focus on Tatiana. It was a little odd...her face was pointed at the Russian girl, but her eyes still weren't quite locked onto her. She'd been doing that the whole conversation in fact, Facing whoever was speaking without quite looking at them.

Tat couldn't help but notice the eyes of the third Asian girl in the group and how they didn't quite look in the right direction. "Nyet...Um no, they have the same kinds of Pizzas as here at least the  Pizza hut there does I think. I have never been to Russia a common mistake. I have lived here in EC all my life.

My father had me home schooled and most of my teachers were Russian that's why I have the accent and we mostly speak Russian at home as well."

She makes a non committal sideways nod as she stirs her salad with her fork to mix the dressing in. "Is something wrong with your eyes...um... I'm sorry I did not catch your name."

Keiko slapped her forehead and laughed at herself. "Aw that's...I'm sorry. That's like people thinking I'm from Japan cuz I look asian and have a Japanese name. Sorry, Tatiana."

She extended a hand towards her.

"I'm Keiko. My eyes are fine, but the nerves don't really work so..." she shrugs. "I get by."

• Matt changed the title to IC: S1:E1 - Welcome to Hero High!
  • Matt unpinned this topic

Archived