how do you like to get where you are going?

Nina

How Do You Like To Get Where You Are Going?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. In a sci fi game which would feature lots of StarShip action, what type of FTL would you as a player prefer?

• Jump Drive (carried by the ship ala Traveller)
    • Jump Gates
    • Hyperspace (starwars style)
    • Hyperspace (Babylon 5 style)
    • Warp (like Star Trek)
    • Wormholes
    • Space Fold (instantaneous jump like in Battlestar Galactica)
    • Mixed (if you choose this please clarify in a post)

the one I'm certainly most familiar with is the K-F drive from battletech, which charges up by absoring energy from a star, generally over a period of a week, though hot loading is faster, and then as described, tearing open a hole in space time to instantly transport a jumpship across 30 light years of space.    Is that similar to one of the options?

The only one there I know how it works is Warp Drive actually...

I chose Mixed, cuz I like settings with different spacefaring civilizations having followed different paths to solve the FTL problem. Beyond that, I think storytelling options are richer with drives that have some subjective 'lag time' between points, like hyperspace or Traveller style jump drives that aren't instantaneous. Gives players some downtime if they want to RP or do things that require game time.

8 minutes ago, Abel Cross said:

the one I'm certainly most familiar with is the K-F drive from battletech, which charges up by absoring energy from a star, generally over a period of a week, though hot loading is faster, and then as described, tearing open a hole in space time to instantly transport a jumpship across 30 light years of space.    Is that similar to one of the options?

The only one there I know how it works is Warp Drive actually...

that would be a type of space folding drive.

no the concept is much older than either of those 

don't want to bust yer bubble but if there is any "ripping off" its the robotech people who ripped off authors and scientists from the 40's and fifties

This...

19 minutes ago, SalmonMax said:

I chose Mixed, cuz I like settings with different spacefaring civilizations having followed different paths to solve the FTL problem. Beyond that, I think storytelling options are richer with drives that have some subjective 'lag time' between points, like hyperspace or Traveller style jump drives that aren't instantaneous. Gives players some downtime if they want to RP or do things that require game time.

• 2 years later...

Archived