ABERRANT: WEIRDER STUFF - CHAPTER III "THE BALL DROPS"

WS ST

"I'm just saying," he smirked, rolling his shoulder to loosen it back up.  "If I had a ass like yours, I'd totally want people touching it all the time.  It's a great ass, don't be so greedy... you ever wanna swing back our way, I'm so calling first dibs."

And just like that he was back 'on', them fighting and arguing in the hallway while he acted like a complete d-bag allowed them to move through the hall like it was just another day.  <I don't know, Sara, your dad's a cop, how would he do it?  Maybe I could ask him?  I'm sorry Sara, this is sort of my first super powered investigation... but if you're serious about doing this, then we should bring it up to the team.  We'll share ideas, maybe someone will know where to begin...>

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/9/2017 at 9:59 AM, Sara Hutchins said:

Sara leaned over and kissed Sean, <I'll talk to you later I'm going after Devin, Lord knows why. You guys have fun>

<Okay, hon.> Sean replied, kissing Sara back and letting her lips linger. <Do try to encourage Devin not to do anything... precipitous.> Sean stood up watched Sara chase after Devin, a faint, appreciative grin on her lips. <Or you, for that matter.>

With Abel leaving and Kia following him, then Devin and Sara gone their way, Sean sat with Alec and Taleena, idly chit-chatting until the bell rang, as she considered what Hooli and the others had said. She wasn't unaware of the potential threat their families could face. She glanced over at her sister sitting next to Devin's. When Laurie noticed, Sean gave her a small smile and a wave, once again thinking she could do much better than Devin.

Devin didn't know everything Guildchat was capable of, nor did Laurelei. Maybe it was time to change that, just in case. If nothing else, Devin could hopefully get Laurie out of trouble at a mental distress call. Sean's lips twitched into a faint frown. Considering some of the things she and Sara used Guildchat for, she wasn't sure she wanted Devin and Laurie to share a mental link.

With a smile or pleading look or a melodious, solicitous explanation, Sean made excuses for her various absences of late, handing in any missed assignments, but she was only paying it half a mind, or less than a tenth, in truth. They did need to track down Bigby and Travis. There had to some manner of quantum disruption when a QEH teleported, perhaps they could tune the Portal Detection satellites to pick it up?

Sean suppressed a shudder of disgust when she considered flirting with Chet, to see what he did or didn't know. He wanted to fuck her, she knew he did. So did pretty much every guy she met or who saw her. She wasn't totally adverse to using it to her advantage either, to her mild surprise. Her senses were sharp, she could hear the whispers, let alone the open comments and catcalls.

Of late, it was going beyond simply hearing whispers in her vicinity. Perhaps it was an outgrowth of her heightened senses or ability to intuitively  and mathematically predict statistically probable outcomes, but now, she was... aware when people were speaking about her, even if she wasn't anywhere near by.

Dr. Rashoud and other medical personnel had been talking about the scale and scope of her complete gender alteration last night. Right now, there were three girls she shared phys. ed with in a heated discussion about how many guys and girls she had slept with and whether her tits were real or implants. The talk in the boys locker room concerning her was enlightening, if all boastful lies. There were some in Las Vegas still talking about her from her and Sara's visit during Halloween.

And there was an asteroid that would hit the Earth to catastrophic effect in 27 years, 13 days, and 17 hours if no outside action was taken. She made a note to take a look at astronomical charts to determine which asteroid it was so they could keep an eye on it, and do something about it well before the threat became a real danger that didn't involve training deep-sea oil drillers as astronauts.

In the face of that and everything else she was growing aware of it by the moment - only being able to compartmentalize everything she sensed into its own room in her mind palace prevented her from being overwhelmed - Laurie and Devin dating was really just a small annoyance. If they actually had fun together, as long as Devin didn't hurt her, who was she to step between them?

Sean sighed. Cosmic Awareness and Superhuman Capabilities, and one of her biggest concerns was who her sister was dating. It was a strange, impossible life she was leading now, but still, all in all, she wouldn't trade it for anything.

Abel nodded once and smiled.  "Alright Kia, We can work towards that."   He would do his own thing, scanning their minds,   "We do have good answers for all those questions.   Though some won't accept them."

Holding her in his arms he was happy, and really didn't give a damn about the deviants, provided they left him, his friends, and family alone, but if they were foolish enough to come after them, well, he'd show them exactly how strong his Resolve was.

Kia let Abel hold her closer, but she didn't think she'd gotten through. She didn't want to fight though. Maybe if she talked to Sean and Sara, they'd back her up and help her get Abel behind this. Hopefully before Devinn tried doing something by himself and got into trouble.

It had been an odd day for the Irregulars. They had kept up an almost constant discussion via guild chat on what to do and how to proceed with the 'investigation' of the Deviants. In the end they had agreed, some of them reluctantly, to allow what Sara called a soft investigation to go forward, tageting the local Deviants. Their plans however were inturrpted when the arrive that evening at the base for training.

Lilly and Kia as usual arrived first and when the entered the training hanger thye were stopped by the security airman who informed them that traing had been cancled and thatthey were to report to operations.

At the Operations building they were shown to one of the many secure briefing rooms. A long table with comfortable yet oddly utilitarian chairs spaced around it one wall covered with a large plasma screen. At the far end of the room a coffee service had been set up with sandwiches and pastries. On the central table were seven small plastic boxes, each about two inches thick and about the length and width of a legal pad. Captain McKeller was there when they arrived. He invited each to the coffee and food and engaged in small talk while waiting for everyone to arrive. None of the other Project personnel were present.

Once everyone did arrive and had settle he stood and went to the center of the room in front of the plasma screen.

“Alright Irregular's let's get this going. As you are all aware they shut down Project Stepping Stone and renamed it Project Guardian Shield a few weeks ago, well Project Guardian Shield is now Operation Guardian Shield.

As of 1400 hours today by Presidential order we are now operational. And I have your first mission.”

He waited as the kids all absorbed this but cut off any discussion before it could start.

“There will be time for questions and discussion after I have outlined the mission.

Over the last few weeks,” the Plasma screen comes alive showing satellite maps of a mountainous region there are symbols and indicators marking four distinct spots as well as two nearby towns or settlements. The towns look old fashioned like something from the last century. They look poor. Mckeller had continued speaking, “we have detected a a number of portal's in this region. This is in Northern China and we don't know if the portals belong to the Chinese or to the aliens.

And we need to find out.

Our mission is strictly reconnaissance. We have satellite assets dedicated to the region if and when we detect another portal, Devin and Sean will teleport to the area and conduct observational reconnaissance of the portal.”

“Devin?” Alec interrupts, “Why him, I have more experience and a lot more capabilities for combat.”

“And that's why your not going. The mission calls for observation only and if there is a problem we want the two of them to abort and return not engage. Devin not have the offensive capabilites you have is less likely to disregard a retreat order.

You will remain here at the ready and should things go south you can take in Lilly and Kia as an extraction force.

Abel will remain here as operational director while Sara will act as over-watch and air-support should that be needed.”

"Yeah..." Devin raised his hand.  "I'm totally on board with this plan, everything's cool.  I like where you're going with it Cap, but there is one small detail that's sort of been bothering me the last few weeks that we haven't quite covered..."

There was a long pause and everyone seemed to be waiting on him.  "Yes, Mr. Jauntsen?"  Captain McKeller finally asked.

"What's our salary looking like?  No one's really gone over what my bank account is gonna look like now that I'm all super heroish."

Sean wasn't entirely sure Devin would be less likely to disregard a retreat order than Alec was, but she had no compunction about using thought of Laurie as a goad or bludgeon as necessary to keep him on task. Her lips did curve faintly in amusement when he asked about compensation. It had been an issue that had been skirted around, which was why she had started assembling alternate revenue streams. If you had the talent and skill, you could make some good bank in mobile gaming, with little overhead even, if you didn't bother with microtransactions.

"I can guarantee it will be better than what you were making at Bunnee's, Devin," Sean supplied with melodious wryness.

Sipping at her coffee - Sean had insisted on higher quality beans and they had acceded - she eyed the plasma screen and the details revealed, considering what she knew of the area and the people who lived there and where to look to find out more. She began a mental list of questions to ask and information to request as well as what she'd include in her kit.

Sean casually glanced at the seven boxes, and with a faint narrowing of her eyes, peered through them to see what they held. Her grin widened faintly, but she decided not to ruin McKellar's surprise.

"I know you said wait until afterwards, but small question - is this to be purely remote, clandestine observation or will it include an infiltration component?"

She was fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese, and several other dialects of Chinese, and for a limited time, could pass herself as natively Chinese, if unmistakably a Chinese version of herself. Still it would help to some extent in disguising herself, if necessary.

McKeller gave Devin a bit of a frown. "Not my department." Then turned back to the map to answer Sean's question.

"The mission is two fold. Once we detect another Portal occurrence we will track the area with live view sat. this will give Devin the reference he needs to do his thing. Since all of the previous occurrences have taken place in a fairly small area we are looking for good places for your insertion. Once the two of you are in place you will move to observe the Portal and any activity. In all 4 of the past detection's the portals have remained open approximately 42 minutes. so you have a very narrow window in which to locate and observe.

If the Portal follows past routine and does shut down after 42 minutes we will asses the situation. if there has been no compromise to your infiltration we will go to phase two, which is conceivable more dangerous for you.

As I said we don't know if the portals are of Chinese origin or alien, we also don't know if the Chinese have learned about the portals potentially creating Enhanced Persons.

Phase two of the mission calls for you, Sean, to infiltrate the nearby villages to determine if there are any enhanced persons present. We feel you are uniquely qualified to appear as a native and with your grasp of the languages should be able to pass if you are detected. During your recon Devin will remain hidden outside of the village ready to extract you should it become necessary."

"You don't. Lilly, Alec, and yourself will be here at base on standby. We will only put you in the field if things really go south. We don't want an international incident and with the way our relationship with the Chinese are at the moment...well we don't want to push thing and further than we feel is necessary.

Which brings me to the next part. These boxes here contain your MK1 PAM Suits and a integrated communication suite. Just touch the box and yours will recognize you. Once activated the box will only open at your touch. Keep them with you at all times. You have to ready to go at a moments notice.

You all might also want to start thinking about callsigns/codenames"

On 2017-5-11 at 5:57 PM, AWS ST said:

“And that's why your not going. The mission calls for observation only and if there is a problem we want the two of them to abort and return not engage. Devin not have the offensive capabilites you have is less likely to disregard a retreat order."

Alec subsided with a grumble. The intimation that he would ignore what was said to him grated a bit, but it wasn't worth the argument it would inevitably spawn, so he let it go. Though the corners of his mouth were tugged down in a faint expression of irritation. However it was wiped away with Devin's question. He couldn't say he particularly liked the older boy, but he was occasionally sort of irreverently amusing. As loathe as he was to admit it.

On 2017-5-12 at 3:29 PM, AWS ST said:

"You don't. Lilly, Alec, and yourself will be here at base on standby. We will only put you in the field if things really go south. We don't want an international incident and with the way our relationship with the Chinese are at the moment...well we don't want to push thing and further than we feel is necessary.

Which brings me to the next part. These boxes here contain your MK1 PAM Suits and a integrated communication suite. Just touch the box and yours will recognize you. Once activated the box will only open at your touch. Keep them with you at all times. You have to ready to go at a moments notice.

You all might also want to start thinking about callsigns/codenames"

"So in essence, hurry up and wait. Question, though. Say this little op does, in fact, go on to Phase 2 or whatever. How long are we looking at for operation time? Hours? Days? Weeks? Will we be on standby on base for the duration, or can we do other stuff in the meantime? I'm not exactly familiar with how one of these things is supposed to go, beyond what I've seen on TV and in games, so I'm not exactly sure what you'll be expecting from us."

Spoiler

Very short to actually get me back into the swing of posting. Sorry for my absence, but should hopefully be back properly now. :)

"If all goes according to plan, hours at the most. According to Dr Rashoud and Dr Miziki as well as your own observations, Enhanced persons are almost always emitting a measurable field of charged exotic particles, what you have taken to calling Quantum Energy. We know that you all are able to detect this field  when in close proximity to each other, and while it is possible detect by normal energy receptors, no one who wasn't looking for them specifically would probably ever notice them.

Out of all of you Sean has shown to have the keenest and widest ranging sense abilities. From testing with all of you she should be able to sense any Enhanced person with a 20 meter radius of her.'

McKeller shifts his focus back to Sean. "And that is all this is right now you detect and move on no interaction not attempt to discern what they can do or anything. All we want is confirmation that there is or is not a QEH presence there."

He sits down. "Now we don't know when another portal will pop up so your all going to have to be ready to go at a moments notice. So until then we will just go on about things as usual. Go to school, go to your gaming, come here for training. Just be ready."

"So jaunt in Sean, jaunt out Sean, look amazing doing it, got it.  This is gonna be a so lit."  The grin on Devin's face was just shy of a mile wide as he looked over the satellite and U2 imagery.  If he was going to be dropping Sean off somewhere, he needed the lay of the land.  "And I so need a code name, I'm feel ya Captain, code names are a must..."

"How about Leapfrog?"  Sean said with her signature smirk that nothing short of alluring.

"Oh, ha. Ha." He smirked back, brushing off her sarcasm.  "What about 'Excursion' or 'Rush'... oh... I know... 'WMD'."

Sean sifted through and slid a printed image up from the middle of a small stack and looked at it with him.  "Whimsically Misogynistic Dumb-ass?"

"Uh, no."  He corrected her.  "Weapon of Mass Distraction, duh.  Besides, dumb ass is two words."

"I hyphenated it."

He nodded approvingly and they went back to the photos.

It should be a routine mission if things went according to plan.   Granted this was also counting on Devin to behave and stick to the plan.   He had learned this largely wasn't a reasonable thing to count on.  "So  you call us here to tell us about an Operation you want us to run, one that we will have to abandon whatever we're doing to accomplish, with maximum stealth and zero contact.  That doesn't really seem to hard."  He looked at the others at the table, and shrugged.  

"What happens once we ascertain the nature of the portals, and of the presence or lack thereof of Chinese Enhanced, or an Alien Presence?   Do we go in guns blazing and shut them down?  Do we have any sort of contingency aside from running away after alerting them that we know of whatever they're doing?"

He looked over to Sean  "Definitely wear masks, and don't let them see anything, either of you.  It might be a good idea to see if we share knowledge of a language aside English,  simply as another layer of misdirection."  Of course it was unneeded, as they had guild chat, but if they were to act the part of a covert operations team...

"No worries, Abel. Our PAM Suits can accommodate masks or balaclavas," Sean reminded him, as he well knew, having worked with her on helping to develop the PAM. Her smirk was confident and self-assured and as always, alluring. "And when I infiltrate any villages they won't see an over-endowed anglo-saxon woman with multicoloured hair, just a local, if unusually attractive, local girl."

On a pair of photos, Sean traced routes with a finger for Devin's acknowledgment. They needed to consider insertion points not only in regards to observation but for her to enter targeted villages circumspectly, to say nothing about extraction. And with a goal in front of him, Devin seemed much more focused, though his eyes did tend to linger when she leaned over for a better view of a photo. As did every other guy's. Despite herself, Devin was starting to grow on her. Possibly like a rash, but it was something.

Sean reached out and placed her hand on the box set in front of her. After a moment, it beeped, keying itself to her, and opened with a soft hiss she was the only one to hear. She looked inside, fingering the polymeric fabric with a nod of satisfaction. She could see and feel how the adaptive molecules reached to her touch the quantum field she emanated. This was work she was proud of and she was already considering uses for more static derivatives.

She nodded at McKellar, acknowledging the comment about observation, not interaction. Still, if there were any foreign QEHs, she would try to determine what she could from pure observation. She only had herself, the Irregulars and a few others as a limited subject pool, but she might be able to determine if any possessed, or were likely to possess, greater than human physical capabilities.

"I suppose that what we will do if an Alien Incursion or the presence of a Chinese Portal Program is detected will decided afterwards," Sean commented, "but Abel does have another point. If we are detected, what parameters are we operating under for disengagement? Purely incapacitation, whatever is most expedient, or will the call be made depending on the scale of the response?"

<Babe, how are you with this, now that we are about to engage in a sanctioned action?> Sean asked Sara over their dedicated channel with genuine concern. <Getting any urgings yay or nay from you know where?>

Sean glanced at Abel. "If you believe in the necessity, I've picked up several languages since..." Sean shrugged in a way that made her new proportions very obvious. "German, Japanese, several languages in the Chinese Family. French, Spanish, Russian, and Dutch." Sean smiled wistfully. She'd learned Dutch purely because she and Sara had taken a trip to the Netherlands for a Metal Music Festival. They had missed all the big ones during the summer, but there had been a smaller one in Eindhoven. "Give me a few hours, and I can learn a language to a proficient level of fluency."

The rest of the session Thursday night was spent in brainstorming and going over the details.

Everyone took the time to try on the new suits which in their basic state looked like a one piece unitard made of a slightly sparkly grey material. The collar contained a recessed hood which could be pulled up to act as a head covering. Once attuned the fabric became much more flexible and customizable, either through a built in panel located on the inside of the left forearm, or , with some practice, by the wearers own mind influencing the Quantum flow into the suit.

The night ended sooner than normal and the Irregulars went their own ways. Friday was the last day of school and the beginning of the winter vacation and as such it was only a half day. McKeller had called off training as well for that night to allow the kids to prep for their daunting mission ahead... The Winter Ball.

The Winter ball would be starting at 8:00PM Saturday, which left Friday night as a free night for the Irregulars and their friends.

It was early in the evening when they all sort of gravitated to Sean's place...

Spoiler

Sara and Sean are already there... this is an informal gathering for Friday night y'all can game together or what ever...if you want to go out with your boyfriend/girlfriend instead of gathering that cool too...this is just a set up for a little interpersonal RP before the ball. Also if anyone wanted to do anything during the day before go ahead and write that for here too, for instance if Jaunt wants to take a stab at investigating the Deviants   or what have you.

Sean and Sara lazed away the afternoon with languorous delight in bed, taking their time in exploring bodies they had grown to know so well. With her enhanced senses and the mental link she shared with Sara, Sean experienced the intimacy on levels no human could. She could hear the beating of Sara's heart, see the arousal flushing the cells of her skin, feel what Sara was feeling and share her own sensations as they coupled.

She could luxuriate in this for hours, for days, but... the Irregulars, or at the very least most of them, would be showing up later, either to game or just to hang out with people who could understand their circumstances or the situation they soon find themselves in, as well as the Winter Ball tomorrow.  So Sean and Sara got cleaned up, got dressed, and set the Barn into order before the others arrived.

Sara sat on Sean's - their - bed, strumming on her guitar, idly working on bits of original composition. Sean had hummed along in snatches as she sat at her desktop, fingers dancing gracefully across the keyboard, her eyes on a pair of large monitors, text and images moving at a barely discernible speed. She was working on an update to the indie video game she had made for mobile, PC, and console, Endless Odyssey. It used an Adaptive Procedural Algorithm of sophisticated design she had personal developed.

The game started out deceptively simple, but altered in gameplay, genre, and even in aesthetic and sound and music, depending on the player, the decisions they made, and various other factors. It made every game a unique experience for each player. Despite no microtransactions, little in the way of advertising, though the little she had done had been precisely targeted online, and lack of a unusable playthrough guide, it was starting to sell quite well.

Let's Plays on YouTube were popular, it had very active forums, and fans were enthralled by how every game was unique, in look and storyline. The shifting, stylized aesthetic was very popular and was, she believed, with not a little pride, the versatile and captivating quality of her voice, which she had used for many of the sound effects and most of the dialogue in the game.

"Ooh, that is being nice," Sean commented in a low, accented, sultry tone in regards to a particularly intriguing riff Sara had played. "Me, I am liking that much." With Sara's permission, and with a little urging, Sean had used snippets of Sara's compositions for Endless Odyssey, that the APA could adapt and evolve in game. "I will use it for the game, me, if you are allowing."

Sara looked up from her guitar to give Sean a very appreciative appraisal, who had turned her chair around and struck a pose. For the last little while, they had been playing around with Sean's ability to shift her appearance in limited ways. This time, Sean had taken on ravishing Spanish version of herself, with dark green eyes, deep olive skin, and shining black hair falling in luxuriant waves to her waist. It was a bit hard to tell with her still sitting, but Sean didn't seem quite at tall as she was normally, but her yoga pants were stretched over particularly generous hips and a plush behind.

Sean's wide smile was wicked and teasing. "Sí, cariño, te gusta este, no?" she said in fluent, flawless Mediterranean Spanish. "Yes, honey, you like this one, don't you?"

Sara ran her eyes over Sean's current appearance and chewed her lower lip as that familiar tingle started. She glanced at the clock then set the guitar aside and stood feeling the cool slick hardwood floors under her bare feet. Sara was dressed very casually sexy, in short denim cutoffs, revealing her long legs, and a tanktop, showing off her muscles and tattoos, she had put on a bra, since they were expecting the rest of the gang to drop by later, the only concession to modesty she had made. She moved to Sean, who was watching her approach, an open invitation on her face.

Sara stretched out one long finger with short neatly trimmed natural colored nail, and lightly touched her lovers chin lifting it as she straddled then settled onto Sean's luxurious lap. Sara kissed those full red lips, her hand gently cupping her jaw and supple neck as her other hand slid down between them to give Sean a teasing caress.

“Me like very much, baby, better than the Teutonic butch you tried to pull off last night,” She giggled her tongue teasing Sean's lips. “You know I like you as my pretty fem, I'm more than butch enough for both of us.”

Sara kissed her again harder and her caresses grew stronger as well, then they heard a car pull up outside.

“Well shit.” Sara breathed out, Sean picking up the frustrated vibe clearly. With one last desperate kiss and and quick fondle of Sean's ample breast, Sara slid off Sean's lap and straightening her shirt where Sean's hands had pushed it up. She went back to the bed picking up her guitar and began to strum randomly while they waited for the knock.

Sean gave a smokey chuckle, amused by Sara's frustrated disappointment, though she felt it too. She'd been a virgin when she had been a boy and had thought her peers made idiots of themselves chasing after the other sex. Now that she was the other sex and was having sex, she had a different view on the matter. A very, very pleasant view.

She arched a back a bit as she tugged her shirt straight, turning slightly to give Sara a good look at her dramatic profile, then made a production of crossing her long, fantastic legs before twisting her chair back around to her PC. Her grin widened as she swiftly typed out several more dozen lines of code when she heard Sara pluck a discordant note.

Sean saved her work for the day - she wasn't quite done the update, but would be soon - then idly spent the time waiting for her superfriends to arrive idly responding to forum posts concerning Endless Odyssey. Using the handle 'Tiresias', other than admitting to being the creator of the game, she kept her identity enigmatic, which had started another thread on who she really was. If they only knew...

Other than letting her eyes revert to their natural, unique shade of turquoise, Sean decided to keep the spicy Latina filter on her appearance for the time being, just to see how long she could maintain the effect and how much effort it took over an extended period.

"S'up, beautiful,"  Devin walked through the room near the table, heading for the fridge.  He didn't knock anymore, so, yeah, that was added to the list of things that made him obnoxious.   He greeted Sean, who was sitting at her computer.  "Sara."  He added, implying with his typical snark that she wasn't in the 'beautiful' category.

A guitar pick whizzed past his head a stuck in the roof support like a ninja star just mere inches from his face.  With a smirk she produced another one from nearby and continued to strum her instrument.  He rolled his eyes.  He wasn't the least bit scared of the violent blonde, in fact the angry games the two played kind of fun.  "Seriously?  I mean come on you two, I was hoping to catch you two scissoring or in some sleek lingerie hitting each other feather pillows while you giggle.  You're really letting me down here, I just want you to know."

"Aww," Sean pouted from her computer chair.  "Poor, baby."

"Right!?"  He grabbed a soda from the fridge and gently closed the door.  "Thin about my suffering.  You two are so insensitive."

Sean wheeled away from her desk, switching which leg she had crossed as she spun about to face Devin.  "Laurie has been trying to reach you all afternoon.  You guys have some last minute dance preparations or something to work out, do you even check you texts?"

"Been ignoring them."  He said as he sipped his cherry coke.  "All she does is yammer on and on about colors and matching, and making sure we work with the theme... ugh, it's maddening."

Sara rolled her eyes while Sean offered nothing more than a sultry grin.  "Well, you're the dating her.  You should have thought about that before you asked her out."

"She asked me, sis," he used the feminine equivalent of 'bro'.  "Laurie hates me dude, but she is a freshman and I'm a junior... she's scoring major popularity points by showing up with me.  We have an agreement, I make her look good, and shut my mouth and all I gotta do is show up..."  He shoved a Twinkie in his mouth.  "Easy-peasy."

Sara leaned up from her strumming, suddenly a bit interested.  "And what do you get?"

"Boob pics and a couple thong shots," He shrugged nonchalantly.  "The usual fee."

Devin's answer was too nonchalant by half to be true. Plus, Sean knew her sister, better now than when she had been Laurie's brother. Still, it infuriated her to hear Devin voice the comment. She was able to dissemble with the best of them with a straight face, yet Devin seemed able to cut through her superhuman composure with a snide comment. She almost believed it was a quantum enhanced capability he had.

"You better be joking about that, Devin," Sean said with airy exasperation, managing to hold on to the Spanish accent she was affecting, her velvet soprano an almost tactile caress.

She seemed idle and relaxed, but her eyes told another story. They were hard and penetrating, evoking the sense she was planning Devin's murder and how to dispose of the body in meticulous detail. Devin would have noticed if he hadn't been watching the rise and fall of Sean's jutting, prominent breasts with avid interest. Sean was pretty sure he wasn't even aware he was doing so.

"Because it would be really unfair on my part to make Laurelei have to find a date the day before the Winter Ball."  Sean made a sound that was somewhere between a grunt and growl. "Dude, if you and my sister want to keep your whatever deal you guys made between yourselves, fine. But make an effort, man! You do have a suit, right? This is the first time Laurie is going to the Winter Ball." Hmm, it's mine too, for that matter, she mused with a glance at Sara. "Make sure she has fun and special night. And try to have fun yourself too, if you can, instead of looking at this as an obligation."

"Oh, and Devin?" The icy tone made Devin meet Sean's turquoise eyes this time. "If I do find boob pics of Laurie on your phone, you will regret it." The was a slight pause and Sean added just as Devin opened his mouth. "Thong shots too."

As soon as Sean started talking Sara could feel the vibe in the room change with out a thought she switched her strumming to a slow ominous progression ( D, Ab, B, D ) and the temperature in the room dropped noticeably as her girlfriend made her final remark.

Sara made one last strum and spoke before Devin could reply. "Believe me you won't even see it coming."

"Naw, you wouldn't find pics of Laurie on my phone, relax," he finished the Twinkie and took a few steps from the kitchen area before disappearing and reappearing not far from Sean.  "I'd totally move them to a jump drive so you couldn't find em..."  His grin went wide as Sean's perfect lips pursed, she lashed out and punched him in the arm.  She connected and he laughed.  By the very virtue he didn't teleport away from her proved that he playing around.  "Chill, I'm just joking.  Any pics she sends me will be willing donations to my spank bank, and no, I'm not going to say 'no' to them.  If she wants to send em' that's on her.  Seriously, I'm a grade A d-bag, not a mouth breathing rapist."

"Yet."  Sara added with a glare, but she was still carried a slight expression of being playful with him.  Some might think the two hated one another, but the truth was they shared a decent joke once in while.  Devin and Sara were a lot alike, thought they'd never admit it.  They were both, until recently, running from something.  Whether from their lives, their choices or their problems, they both had found outlets in their own ways.  In Sara's case, Sean had provided her some stability, someone she could confide in and share some of her burdens.  Devin however, was still running with not even so much a destination in mind.

"Well, I applied for the seminar tickets online but you know how all these liberal college campuses are,"  he shook his head and mocked an exasperated sigh with his arms thrown up high.  "What's a guy to do?"

He faded away and was gone for a few seconds only to reappear next to Sara, lying on the bed beside her with a large, thin rectangular box wrapped nicely in an ice blue ribbon with sparkled silver edging.  "Hi, Sara, I feel like we're drifting apart." She slammed her arm into the bed, coming down in a sideways arc that caught nothing but the bed sheets.  Devin was already gone, knowing her tendency to choke him out first and giggle at his jokes later.

He solidified into view next to Sean, startling her slightly, his way of silently moving about and being almost everywhere at once was an incredibly difficult trait for anyone to get used to.  He thumbed back to the bed, cradling the fancy box in one arm.  "Sara tried to kill me again.  I feel like I'm losing her, like there may be someone else... do you think it was something I said, or did?"

A guitar pick hit him in the back with the force of a snapped towel.  He arched his back and tried to rub the stinging spot but it was just out of thumbs reach.  Sean tried to cover her laugh with her hand, but it was obvious.  "That's a safe bet, yeah,"  she slipped the box from under his arm before he dropped it.  "Careful, what do you have, anyway?"

"Take a look," he said.  The stinging was dying down swiftly.  His new super body did a good job brushing off most minor injuries so the antics of the team tossing high speed small objects at each other (which was more common that one might think) didn't bother him for too long.  "Laurie was pestering me about dresses.  She likes hers but she loved this one she saw on some website."

"Devin, you didn't."  Sean narrowed her eyes, partially surprised that she was assuming he did something selfless.  She moved swiftly to the table and set the box upon it.  She lifted the lid and took a peek inside.

"Since the military is asking us to help them out, I decided to remind them that they have several under aged workers performing top secret military missions into combat zones... and not paying us, well, me.  It may not be Captain McKeller's department, but I gotta hand it to him, he came through and pulled some strings."  For once both the ladies could see a hind of red in Devin's cheeks.  Apparently being a decent guy was a new experience for him.  "I was, uh, hoping maybe you could give it to her."

Sean perched her ass on the edge of the table, pursing her lips as she crossed one arm below her breasts and rested her chin on the knuckles of her other hand, giving Devin a steady look. His cheeks reddened even more under her regard, suddenly struck by the familial resemblance between Sean and Laurie.

He'd seen it before of course, in the shape of their faces and eyes, though Sean was on another magnitude to the standard. 1-10 scale, to be sure. About a 1000. Despite Sean's currently colouring, she and Laurie seemed even more like sisters, something in their demeanor and the way they held themselves, the way they looked at him. Devin's cheeks reddened even further.

"I can give it to her... if you want," Sean agreed, drawing it out with a questioning tilt to her head. "But don't you think it might be better if it came from you?" Her lips quirked in a faint grin. "It would earn you some major brownie points. Or don't you want her to know you can do something nice, if you try?" She drummed her nails on the lid of the dress box. "Oh, and please tell me when you got Mckellar to hook you up with the dress, you got him to hook you up with something to wear too?"

Sara watch the interaction between the two, her incredible lover and the incurable idiot, she switched to a Spanish style strumming and played a melody she had stolen from some flamenco guitarists her and Sean had listened to at a romantic restaurant  on one of their out of country excursions.

"You should just man-up and give it to her your self. Quit hiding behind your douche attitude and show some backbone. You like her, she must see something in you, so show her your worthy of more than a 'deal'."

Her playing grew more intricate and melancholy.

"I don't like her," he lied.  The defensive tone he took raised his voice an octave higher and completely gave him away.  "She's an insufferable little brat and an annoying little know-it-all.  Besides, I'm not even into redheads," he kept piling it on.  "The deal was I go to this dance and make her look good, so that's what I'm doing.  It's not like the feeling isn't mutual, Laurie can't stand me."

"Neither can we," Sara added, softening the melody so her voice could be heard.  "Yet, here you are."

"Look at this place Sean, it's better if it comes from her sister.  How am I gonna explain where I got this thing?" He tipped his can back took another gulp.  "I work at the local burger barn, dude.  Nothing screams 'your son is pushing drugs' like gifting a three thousand dollar dress to a girl he doesn't even like.  Oh, my parents would have a field day, they're just looking for reasons to explain why I hate them.  Anything except 'we suck as parents'."

"Three grand?"  Sean whistled.  "Nice."

"I didn't want to push my luck after that kinda price tag, I think I have something nice I can wear,"  He shrugged, him playing off his attraction for Laurie wasn't the most convincing but he stuck to his guns.  "Besides, this is her night, not mine.  I'm just the arm candy."

Sara furrows her brow, then sets the guitar aside, gets up goes and gets a diet Dr Pepper. she walks back and casually looks in the box. She pulls out her big bikers wallet and shuffles through the bills. Walks up to Devin.

"Yeah it's her night and she deserves more than a dude in a suit his parent bought him for funerals." She shoves the folded bills into his pocket and walks past toward the door. "Who the fuck is in that car, they been out there for like ten minutes."

Spoiler

She gave devin 600 bucks

After their conversation, Abel and Kia finally exited his mother's car.   He wasn't happy about not having his jeep, but they were having to wait for his tires to come in after a blowout.   Sadly no one in town had the size he needed, so he'd been forced to borrow his mother's car for the day.   His talk with Kia was interesting and they'd honestly both lost track of time.   "I bet Sean and the others are wondering what we were doing."   he smiled at her.  "He's probably the only other person who recognizes the car."   

He made his way up to the door and knocked, despite knowing they knew they were there.  

Sean gave a small smirk at Devin's doubtful look when Sara stuffed the wad of bills into his pocket. Devin was protesting way too much it made his feelings obvious. It almost made him look cute... for a douchebag. She glided up to Devin after Sara moved on to the door, a bit of extra sway to her round hips, and patted him on the shoulder. She could crush steel in her hands, but her touch was gentle and her eyes sympathetic.

"The money isn't stolen or drug money, if that is what you are concerned about," Sean assured him. "It's literally dug from the ground, if you want to look it the right way. I appreciate you making the night about Laurie, but even arm candy has to look the part." Her smile was genuine rather than teasing. "You can be anywhere in the world - if you like, I'll go with you with somewhere in Australia or Asia, or Europe and help you find something that matches the dress and get it fitted in time for tomorrow."

Her entrancing eyes were heavy-lidded with amusement as she watched Sara stalk over to the door. "It's just another couple who probably were making out in the car," Sean said, having recognized the exact tone of the cooling engine. There was a knock on the door an instant before Sara hauled it open. The Latinized Sean gave Abel and Kia a wave as she sauntered back, scooping up the box with Laurie's dress in passing as she reclaimed her gaming chair. "Heya guys. There anyone coming in behind you?"

Kia shook her head brightly at Sean's question and waved. Her left hand was twined with Abel's as they came in, and she playfully refused to let for a second when he tried to disengage.

"Not yet," she told Sean. "They should be here any time though"

On catching a glimpse of Devin and Sara in the next room Kia added, "What are you guys up to?"

Sandy flashed his Special ID at the Gate guard who actually looked closely at it before waving him through. He still couldn't get used to being able to come onto the base when ever he wanted but at least it made things easier for him and Lilly.

He didn't bother pulling into the driveway just stopped at the curb in front of the yard and honked. Lilly came out almost immediately carrying the satchel she carried all her gaming stuff in. it was different than her school satchel.

She slid in and Sandy leaned over to give her a little kiss. "Hey. You look nice." He grinned at her as he pulled away and headed back toward the gate. So which place tonight,  Abel's or the love shack?"

Lilly tossed her satchel and archery case in the back and slips into the seat.

"Dude. Don't honk like a douche. Be a gentleman and come to the door." Lilly told Sandy, giving him a pinch on the arm. 

Lilly snapped the seat belt and paused for a moment.

"Something wrong?" Sandy asked. 

"Hmm?" Lilly said, coming out of reverie. "No. Nothing wrong. I was just thinking about how irrelevant a seat belt is for me now. Kinda weird knowing that, you know?"

"Huh. Yeeah.." Sandy said, the thought having never really occurred to him either.

Lilly waited for them to get off base before she brought up something that had been on her mind since the talk with Hooli the other morning in the cafeteria.

"There is something, well a few things, actually, that I need to talk to you about." she said, only slightly ominously.

Not taking his eyes off the road because he was a good driver and a wreck which might not hurt Lilly would probably , with his luck kill him or worse cripple him in some way.

"Okay," he turned the disc player off, "I'm all ears as soon as you tell me where we are going tonight." He gave her a quick glance  and wondered if this was the I just want to be friends speech he had been dreading.

"Oh! We are heading to Sean's tonight. Sorry. Just had some things on my mind." Lilly answered.

She looked at the winder for a moment, biting her bottom lips cutely as she thought about how to say what she needed.

"You see, we have these powers, because of them, we also pump out this radiation or particles or something, I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it looks like people we are around a lot we might be dosing with this stuff. Like you are around me, and to a lesser degree Alec, a lot, and then a half dozen others who are also pump this stuff out at the table in the cafeteria and when we are gaming."

"And it looks like if a person gets enough of it, that it can enhance them too. So, like, if you keep hanging around with us, you might get some powers too."

Lilly sighed.

"Now having said, I think you might already have them or be getting them."

"Huh?" Sandy replied.

"Remember the first time we kissed? You said that you could not get me out of your head and had dreams and stuff, and when he kissed, right after you felt great and it was all better?

Well, I never told you, but when we did kiss, I had this vision of the future, or a possible future or something, like the flashback in Terminator, but with super people and aliens instead of humans and machines.

And I actually could taste ash in my mouth. I didn't say anything, because I wanted you to feel better. But I could literally taste ash. I'm not sure if you have some sort of precognitive powers or something, or if you have powers at all, but that was REALLY weird and kind hints that you might."

That took Sandy's eyes of the road.

"What!?!" But I don't...I don't feel....That's not the kind of dreams I was..." The car drifted and he pulled it back into the lane as another car honked going past. "Geez, Lilly..." He lets what ever he was going to say hang as he concentrates on driving staring straight ahead.

Lilly can see his temple throbbing, hear his heart pounding, can feel the fear coming off of him at the thought of him having powers.

Lilly sighed. 

"I don't know if you do have them or are getting them or whatever. But I know what happened to me and how being around us can enhance people.

I mean, I can, like, turn it off so to speak, that is how I play football still. And I am powered down a lot, but the others, I don't think they know how to do. Heck, even I am not sure how I do, really, I just know I can."

She reached over and placed her hand, palm up, on his thigh, offering him to take it.

"Look, I just.. I don't know.. I thought you should know. Like, maybe you'll decide to not be around us anymore or something. But I feel you have the right to know, so you can make a decision."

He drives on in silence feeling Lilly's hand on his thigh but keeping his hands on the wheel, after a minute she removes it and sits back and looks out the window watching the road go by.

It's not that long of a drive and they pull in and see that Abel is there in his moms car. Sandy parks beside it and looks over at Sean's parents house, then at Lilly.

"Is that what you want? Me not to hang around anymore" He turns more to face her. "The powers don't mean any thing to me Lilly. It doesn't bother me not having them."

"That's not fair. I never said I wanted you to go or anything. I just thought that you should know about this, know the risks, so you can make a decision for yourself. I never said I wanted you to go, but I don't want you to stay just because I want you to either. This is something you have to decide for yourself."

He sighs, "I know you didn't say it, haven't said it, but I guess if there is anything that worry's me, it's knowing that I can't compete with Alec or Abel, or for goodness sake Jauntson. Maybe I worry that I'm not good enough for you." He shakes his head, "No that's the wrong words, I mean I'm not  on the same level, like with Sean and Sara or Abel and Kia, It seems like they can relate to each other because of ... you know y'all having powers and all."

"Well... Alec and Taleena are dating, and even if they weren't, he's an okay guy, but there is nothing there. Abel is dating my BFF and even if weren't... just no. And Devin? Seriously? I should cup check you for that one." she said, trying to end with a little humor.

"The powers do not even make us relate. I cannot grasp what is like to have a mind like Sean's, or fly is space like Sara or shapeshift like Kia. We're all very different. Yeah, I guess on some level the fact we have some sort of powers is something in common, but it's pretty minimal."

Lilly reaches over and takes Sandy's hand, clasping it with both her own as she looks into his eyes.

"Powers are not what makes a person good either. And it is easy to be brave when you have powers. That night in the cabin though, you didn't hesitate to put yourself in harms way to protect us. That's real bravery. True character. That is just one example of what makes you a good person."

Sandy smiles and gives a little laugh at Lilly's joke and squeezes her hand with affection. "You know I'm just a simple guy who wants to be a farmer, I know we're young but I like you Lilly. A lot. I know I'm slow and I'm not very dramatic or heroic I just do what I have to do, you know. But I don't want to lose you  or our friends.

Sara can fly in space?"  The look he gives her would be comical if it wasn't obvious that he was asking a serious question.

"Well, I don't know. Maybe not 'space', but really, really high at least, and really fast. Faster than I can run or jump. But I am pretty sure that she could grab me, drop me from up there and after I high the ground I would climb out of the crater and dust myself off."

"Anyways, I just wanted you to make your decision for you, and know the risks so you could. Heck, as I understand it isn't not even a sure that somebody will get enhanced, but it is a possibility that you should know."

"Thanks" He leans over and kisses Lilly lightly on the lips, "I think I'll take my chances."

Lilly returned the kiss with a bit of relief. She could not help but feel.. flattered? ...that Sandy had still chose her, despite the possible risks.

For a couple of minutes the pair of young lovers made out in the car until Lilly finally noticed the time and broke the kiss.

"You know..." she says, nibbling on her bottom lip, "..there are some advantages to having a superpowered girlfriend." she mused.

"I'll show you later." she said with a grin, giving Sandy a teasing peck on the cheek.

Slipping out of the car, the pair headed inside, Lilly tossing her satchel over her usual chair and leaned her archery case against the wall.

"Hey guys. What's up?"

Soon after Sandy and Lilly arrived Alec and Telena showed up by simply appearing at the door. Talena giggling as always at the teleporting.

Before Abel could get everyone to sit and get ready to play Sara, who had been arguing with Devin trying to convince him that the money wasn't drug money led them all out side for a demonstration.

"It easy," she picked up a couple of rocks which she quickly colored on with magic marker she had brought from inside." All I have to do is move the ground."

She tossed the rocks on to the ground and almost immediate the ground rippled and the rocks disappeared. "I can move the earth however I want. I can bury things and I can mover thing to the surface even stuff I cant effect with my power as long as there is earth around something I can make the earth push it up. all I have to do is know its there. And with her," she points at Sean," it's pretty easy to find things since she can like see through stuff."

The ground rippled again this time by Devin's feet and two rocks pushed there way out of the dirt. He didn't have to pick them up to see the marking she had put on them earlier. He scowled.

"There are several places, parks in Nevada, California, Colorado, and a few other states, where you can go, you pay an entrance fee and you can hunt for diamonds and gold and silver if you find anything you get to keep it. Ok so in  away it's not fair that we have an advantage but I say if we can do it, why not. beats selling dope."

They went back inside as Sara continued, "As for the lost treasure it both easier and harder. The hard part is locating the ship wrecks but once I find one i just sift around until i find something. Sean's been doing research to find some of the bigger wrecks."

Abel had his books and things set up already "So are we going to play?"

They settled around the table and sheets and and dice were brought. Sara giggled at something Sean must have said in their private channel.

"It's game time guys, not telepathy" Said Abel a little annoyance coming through.

Once settled the game started and things were going pretty good for about an hour when Able called for a quick break. Every one got up and stretched went to the restroom, got snacks and drinks. Alec was playing his guitar and Sara was rubbing Seans back.

"Devin have you given any thought to what codename you want?" Asked Sara

Kia grabbed a pillow off the couch armrest and leaned over to smack Abel with it a few times.

"Nooo! You're so mean! We didn't kill the puppies!"

Laughing, she put the pillow back and leaned against it, covering her face.

"Oh my god I'm such a nerd now."

Sean's eyes were narrowed to mere slits and she was making a sound low in her throat that was almost a purr as she basked in Sara kneading her back. While with her enhanced physique and physiology, she didn't really suffer from stiffness or tightness, like all her other senses, her sense of touch had also intensified and Sara's ministrations felt wonderful!

If Sara wasn't nearly as strong as she was, she made up for it with inhumanly deft and quick fingers and Sean being able to think at her exactly where to go. She didn't even make a sound of protest when Sara unhooked her bra. Instead, she slipped her arms inside her sleeves, made a few wriggling, eye-catching motions, then popped her arms back out as she tossed her bra - a sexy magenta number - over her shoulder into the clothes hamper without looking.

She chuckled in amusement at Kia's antics... and the efforts of the boys trying to avoid being caught staring - except for Devin of course, who didn't bother trying to be circumspect. "Mmm, nice... Kia, I think you've always been a nerd," Sean commented. "You just needed the right environment to peel back the layers and let everyone see it. And one more thing, while you may believe the Blink Dogs were cute, Devin is hardly a puppy or cute," Sean stuck her tongue out at him in teasing playfulness, "and in D&D, not all dogs go to Heaven. Really, with Worgs and Hellhounds, Cerebus and Garm, and many more, it seems very few dogs go to Heaven."

"Hey, I'm far better than cute, I'm cheeky, and fun."  He shot Sean a playful wink and grinned to Kia.  "Sorry, Giddy Lu Wu," he played on name of the little girl from the Suessian tale of the Grinch.  "I don't think Blink Dog is quite up to snuff, unless, you know, we use like, 'Dawg', and make me sound all urban and gangsta..."

"Of which you are niether," Lilly said with a teasing smirk while moving past him to get something to drink.  She patted him on the shoulder to help console him after her sarcasm.

"If your boyfriend wasn't here, I would so sexually harass you right now." He replied, glaring at her with an equal amount of humor.

"Oh, come one dude, since when has that ever stopped you?"  Sandy grinned and the two young men offered each other a greeting and a fist bump.

"Yeah, fair enough," Devin shrugged, reveling in his reputation for douchery.  He and Sandy weren't the greatest of pals, but since he'd started hanging out at Sean's they'd had a few opportunities to talk.  At first Sandy was pretty defensive of Lilly and the way Devin would talk, but in time he came to understand that it was mostly in fun.  As an act of truce, Devin kept his antics towards Lilly minimal in Sandy's presence.  Of course, Lilly was far from needing any protection, but guys had to feel chivalrous when to the ladies they cared about, even if that lady could bench an eighteen wheeler.

"Sojourn is a cool sounding name," Abel added.  He was organizing his place on the table, getting his assorted dice and note books ready.  "You're Rarely in one place very long these days anyway."

Kia perked right up from her place on the couch.  "Oh, yeah."  She beamed a smile.  "I like that one, it's fitting too."

"If we're going for fitting," Sara chimed in.  "What about 'Captain Pervert'."

"Also fitting," Kia agreed with a polite and totally innocent nod.

"Not helping, Kia."  Devin offered in a monotone deadpan expression.  He then capped his hands together.  "I got it.  Jaunt.  Because it's what I do."

"So all this time we shoulda been calling you 'Masturbate'..." Sandy asked with a smooth, subtle squeeze of the trigger of his 'burn' gun.  The room erupted in a sudden explosive laughter with Devin at the center of it rewarding them all with both his middle fingers on proud display.

"Sandy, out of nowhere," Sean managed through her laughs.

The moment subsided and Devin, a bit flushed in the cheeks form being blindsided by Sandy, was tossing a few bags of chips on the table while still giving the bird to anyone still chuckling at his expense.  "Seriously, though," Sandy offered between laughs.  "Jaunt.  I like it.  It sounds like a Metal Gear code name.  Roll with it, I would."

Devin held his arms out at waist level and looked to Sara.  "And just like that, Jaunt is born."

Sara smirks, "Considering the source that's not bad. I been thinking about mine and I think I'm going for the drama and embracing what we have become, what ever that is.

I'm going with Avenger.

It'll come out anyway and some of you already know and I'm pretty sure that the brass does now too. I've been using my powers to rescue people in bad situations around the world. Don't ask me how I know about them its just like the world wants me to know. And well sometimes it isn't a rescue it..some times I'm there to Avenge them.

So Avenger that's my call sign"

Sara hangs her head with the emotion that is suddenly coming to the surface as tears fill her eyes.

Lilly frowned and sat down next to Sara, pulling an arm around her. 

"It's okay dude. It's a lot to shoulder. And after we are done kicking alien ass, we can all focus more or helping others. I mean, look at what you can do yourself. Just imagine all of us doing it together. That day is coming." Lilly said, consoling Sara.

"And with a call sign like Avenger, you can -totally- find all sorts of gear already made with you call sign on it and stuff." she joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"As for my own call sign... I have no clue, really. I mean, I am strong and tough and fast, and can get stronger, tougher and faster for a while, and I am, like, near invulnerable as best as I can tell, so I really don't know." she said with a shrug.

Abel looked at the others, having been quiet for a little while.   ""Sage" is the one I decided on, simple, descriptive, and hard to misconstrue as something else."   He looked towards Kia and chuckled.  "Nothing wrong with being a nerd.   If we weren't who we are, we'd not be here like this, and I've come to really enjoy present company."   

• Nina locked this topic
  • Nina unlocked this topic

Archived