Jump to content
Asarasa ST

Scarred Lands - Combat Thread

Recommended Posts

Okay, if I haven't messed anything up, here is what I know:

Siwan - used one 3rd level slot for Flame Arrow. Other spells were cast as Rituals.
Sigurn - Used two 4th level slots and two 1st level slots for Multiply Missile and a 3rd level slot for Major Image.

You guys have a surprise round, so can take a round's worth of actions (Action, Move, Bonus).

Roll initiative here for this round and subsequent rounds, I'll add in the gnolls afterward. For now, we'll just post in the main thread in initiative order, and either you can add in the results with info from me in chat or here, or I can add it in a post myself, as you prefer.

Your fake camp is about 60 feet roughly north of you. They main body of gnolls came from East, arrows from the North as best you can tell. Any other questions, hit me up here or in chat.

Just as an FYI, because all of you are spellcasters to some degree, if you have a spell that can be cast as a Bonus Action, you can't cast any other spell during the same turn except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action. Standard spellcasting rule in 5e

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Siwan's initiative is 1d20 +1

1D20 => 20

So 21.

She will be casting Erupting Earth from the EE book page 17 she will be using her 4th level slot for 2 extra dice damage for 4d12

4D12 => 37

her save DC is 15

bit o'fluff

Siwan steps forward staff raised and in the sacred language of the druids intones a spell to smite her enemies!

"Earth Mother, Denev, your children are in peril! I call upon the very ground to Rise up! Smash and hinder our foes!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Initiative

Roll(1d20)+6:
13,+6
Total:19

Kora will use her bonus action to activate hunter's mark on the lead gnoll, claiming it as her primary prey.

She will then attack twice, the first with a standard arrow, the second with one of the 2 multiple arrows.

first arrow  result 23  hit

damage- 2d8+1d6+8  =21 damage

2nd arrow  multiple  result 19 hit

damage   6d8+1d6+1d6(Fire)+8   =35 damage 

Letting herself fall into the familiar trance of a huntress, she staked her claim upon her prey, the leader of the gnomes, hoping to take out their leader quickly.   Choosing her arrows carefully she knocked the first, a standard arrow to test his reactions, and left fly.   With the smooth grace and efficiency born of endless practice, she knocked the second arrow, one of the special ones prepared for her, and let fly in a single motion, watching as the arrow became a veritable swarm of projectiles stabbing into her foe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Initiative: 1D20+3 => (17+3) =20

 

Action 1

Sigurn will shoot the leader looking gnoll (the one with the flail it would seem). 

 

So 1d20 +3 (Dex) +3 (Proficiency) = 1d20+6 + Advantage for the attack

1D20+6 => 10

1D20+6 => 19

Hooray for advantage!

 

Damage is 1d6 (bow) + 2D6 (Multiple Missile) + 3 (Dex) = 3d6 +3

3D6+3 => (4+5+6+3) = 18

18 Damage!

 

Action 2

Sigurn will shoot the leader looking gnoll (the one with the flail it would seem)... Again!

 

1D20+6 => (19+6) = 25

1D20+6 => (19+6) = 25

 

3D6+3 => (4+2+1+3) = 10

10 Damage!

 

Fluff

Sigurn crouched with her razor bow across her lap, and one of her ensorceled arrows nocked. She watched as the gnolls fell for their trick with a smile. She tried to make the illusions react fast enough, but the ambush was swift, and soon the gnolls were hit confusion and a moment later realization at their predicament. Sigurn rose up, shrugging off her wolfskin mantel, and using what was left of an earthen wall for partial cover, she drew her arrow back, and adjusted her aim.

She released the arrow which, in mid-flight, divided into a small volley to rain down on the gnoll armed with the flail. Before the arrows struck though, she had drawn, nocked and released her second arrow, which also divided, adding to the hail of arrows falling into the false camp, hopefully killing the gnoll leader. or making the others believe they were outnumbered and outmaneuvered. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, so there's the surprise round. You guys pretty much killed everything else and nearly killed the Leader. But the endless hunger of Gaurak isn't going to let it go down that easily!

As far as you guys can tell, there is only the Gnoll Flind (a Flind is just a powerful category or subtype of Gnoll, with fiendish heritage), still wounded, though not nearly as much and looking even bigger and more dangerous than before (It might even be as big as Sigurn's sister now :P ), and 2 zombies now, possibly 4, depending on what happened. You can make a reasonable guess that Zai killed or seriously injured one of the archers, but you guys saw the crimson and charcoal mist flowing their way too.

Initiative order
Siwan - 21
Sigurn - 20
Flind - 20 (Sigurn goes first, higher Dex)
Kora - 19
Zai - 6
Zombie Gnolls - -1(Wow, that was a great roll)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Siwan will be holding her action until after Sigurn casts her spells and the flind acts then she wil draw her sword, use her bonus action and shift into a Great Elk and charge toward the flind, ramming the fucker hopefully knocking it prone

She will charge and ram rolling 1D20+6 => 24

Damage is 2d6+4 +2d6 from the charge  4D6+4 => 16

If hit the flind must mack a DC14 strength save or fall prone

will add fluff later

Siwan crouched as the earth battered the gnolls and the arrows flew, she studied what she saw and didn't much care for it. the Big Gnoll with the obviously magic flail still stood and what was worse a red mist crept from the beast and at it's touch the ones felled by earth and arrow rose again as undead. Siwan cursed The Flind truly was Titanspawn. To her left Sigurn was casting and in that moment Siwan had her path before her.

Standing abruptly she took off running toward the Flind drawing her scimitar as she took her first steps. Sword in right hand staff in left she ran gaining speed, then her back seemed to bulge upwards, the weapons in her hands seemed to melt into her arms which were growing longer. Her neck stretches her head growing as well  she ran faster falling to all fours her shape no longer human.

The great elk, majestic and full of Fury, charged at the gnolls monstrous leader head lowered, antlers aimed hooves crashing, Siwan went to battle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Move

Sigurn store her bow in her quiver and then will take her full 30 move toward the Flind and the undead gnolls.

 

Action

Sigurn will cast Bane at lvl 1, targeting the Flind and the undead gnolls.

 

Fluff

Sigurn smiled as the ground opened up beneath the gnolls and the hail of arrows from Kora's and her own bows struck the massive Gnoll. In the chaos of the ambush, one had tried to flee and the huge gnoll even dispatched him.

Things were going well.

And then the beastman summoned forth some foul sorcery, drawing power from the dead and animating two of his fallen pack. The already large gnoll seemed to grow in size, possibly rivaling her sister's size.

'Hmm..'  she thought to herself as she slipped her bow into her quiver, defying all space and logic. She then placed a hand on the wall and hopped it.

Sigurn's feet moved swiftly as soon as they touched the ground, moving her through the debris and ruins of the small settlement, ever closer to the enemy and without fear.

As she drew close she slowed to a meander walk her head tilted down just a hair, her eyes barely squinting as she looked up to him with a nearly predatory gaze while her crooked smile played across her lips. Calling on some of the teachings of her mother that she had adapted, Sigurn gestured at the Flind and the two undead behind it, muttering a curse, taught to Sigurn by her mother, at the trio.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Flind and both Zombies failed their Saves against Sigurn's Bane Spell.

The Flind attacked, striking with all three heads of its flail, but only actually hit, thanks to Sigurn's Shield and Bane both (Would have been three hits otherwise and likely very bad for Sigurn).

Sigurn takes 16 damage from the blow and 24 damage from the unnatural pain, though she can roll a Constitution Save vs. DC 16 to reduce the secondary damage to 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Flind is now Prone, and has taken 16 Damage, plus the 102 it took earlier, minus however much it healed.

Prone
• A prone creature’s only movement option is to crawl, unless it stands up and thereby ends the condition. Standing up costs half the creature's movement.
• The creature has disadvantage on attack rolls.
• An attack roll against the creature has advantage if the attacker is within 5 feet o f the creature. Otherwise, the attack roll has disadvantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sigurn's Con save

1D20+4 => (14+4) = 18

So the 24 damage from unnatural pain is halved to 12.

So she takes a total of 28 damage.

 

 70 hp
-28 damage
 42 hp remaining

 

1 charge of Shield from tattoo expended. (5 remaining)

 

Con save to maintain Concentration

DC = 10 or 1/2 damage (whichever is higher). She took 28 damage, so DC 14

Sigurn as Advantage on Con savse to maintain concentration on spells after taking damage. (War Caster feat)

1D20+4 => (15+4) = 19

1D20+4 => (18+4) = 22

Either one is successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eschewing her bow once the Flind went down, Kora donned her cat's claws and leapt upon her foe, tearing into it with a fury only a Manticora can manage without being a barbarian, slicing and tearing with a throaty growl that could remind others she wasn't human.  She didn't suffer those who hurt her companions.
 

First attack  23 to hit   hits  23 damage

Second attack 28 to hit hits 11 damage

bonus attack 30 to hit  hits 21 damage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flind is currently still Prone. It has taken a total of 173, minus however much it healed before. It looks to be in very rough shape.
Zai destroyed one Zombie. There is one left that you can see.

Initiative order
Sigurn
Flind
Siwan (Delayed action last round)
Kora
Zai
Zombie Gnoll

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Move

Sigurn will draw her Witchaxe and close the last 10'-15' to melee with the downed Flind.

 

Action 1

2-handed attack with Witchaxe with Advantage due to prone target.

1D20+6 => (2+6) = 8

1D20+6 => (20+6) = 26 Critical Hit!

 

Damage

so 2d4+3 damage becomes 4d4+3 damage

4D4+3 => (2+3+4+4+3) = 16 Damage

 

Action 2

2-handed attack with Witchaxe with Advantage due to prone target.

1D20+6 => (16+6) = 22

1D20+6 => (13+6) = 19

 

Damage

2D4+3 =>(3+2+3) =  8 damage

 

Fluff

Sigurn had expected Siwan's arrival sooner, before the massive gnoll could ready an attack. So when she saw the howling skulls of of his dead flail screaming through the air at her, she only one recourse and called on the spell she had stored within on of her tattoos to save her. The ink glowed and flashed for a moment as the ethereal shield was struck each time. 

For it's part, the spell had mostly protected her from such a vicious onslaught, but the skull that did hit wracked her body with pain. Sigurn, instead of cowering from the pain, turned into it, accepting and seemingly reveling in it, gritting her teeth and letting out a snarling moan. 

Kora has savaged the gnoll with her claws and Siwan, in her form of a great elk, had finally tackled and trampled the huge, gnoll, moving past it, leaving him coughing, contorting and holing in pain on the ground.

"This 'meat' has teeth." Sigurn snarled, actually bearing her teeth at the gnoll as she drew her Witchaxe and stalked over to the writing creature, with her eyes dark and crooked grin.

Gripping the witchaxe with both hands, Sigurn raised the wicked looking axe over her head and brought it down on the gnoll, the blade biting incredibly deep into his clavicle and past, hitting his upper ribs and sending forth a crimson spray. Sigurn placed her boot on the gnoll's shoulder and pushed, extricating her witchaxe from his flesh to raise it up once more.

"I will show you a mercy that would not have shown us, wretch." she told the beastman before bringing her axe down again, on his neck this time, severing his spine and putting him out of the misery of suffocating on his own blood. For as much as Sigurn enjoyed instilling fear in others, she rarely had the taste for suffering, even of such a foul, heartless foe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

initiative

Roll(1d20)+6:
10,+6
Total:16

Arcana

Roll(1d20)+1:
18,+1
Total:19

Kora will draw her bow and take a couple shots before they close in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Combat Outside The Door

Neither side is Surprised.

Initiative Order
Zai - 24
Sigurn - 19
Kora - 16
Siwan - 15
Vengaurak - 7

Siwan - Arcana 26: You know these creatures are called Vengaurak. Vengaurak are vermin terribly transformed by the influence of the titan Gaurak. Once simple burrowing insects mutated and grown huge by the titan’s fell essence, they tunnel up from the depths in search of anything edible — and they can consume almost anything. Totally fearless, they chase down anything that moves, but they have a special, unnatural hunger for those who worship the gods. Their bite is acidic, but more dangerous is how they constrict, crush and cut with their long, articulated, sharp edge bodies.

Vengaurak - AC 14, no particular Resistances that you guys have to worry about, I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Move - Sigurn moves towards the other side of the street, opposite of Zai, forcing them to spread their attention or possibly forget about Zai.
Action - Firebolt at the one closest to Zai.
Bonus - None this round

 

Firebolt attack roll

1D20+6 => (9 + 6) = 15  HIT!

Firebolt damage roll

2D10 => (2 + 5) = 7   7 Damage. Bleh

 

Fluff

Without even thinking, Sigurn move in the direction opposite of Zai, at worst forcing the creatures to split their attention, and at best causing them to forgot or lose track of Zai. With a few uttered words and gesture at the creature with her ax, Sigurn send out a bolt of fire at the creature nearest Zai, hitting it with a splash of flame before she raises her shield once again, preparing for the creatures' retaliation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Siwan will rush forward some 15-20 feet closer to the placing her self in front of zai so that her spell will not hit zai. she will cast thunderwave at 3rd level doing 4 d8 thunder damage 1/2 on a save. DC17. the spell also pushes those in it's effect 10' away .

Rolling 4d8 for damage
( 3 + 5 + 8 + 5 ) = 21

 

Fluff

Siwan dashes forward angling to put herself between the monsters and Zai. As she skids to a halt some 10 to 15 feet from the Vengaurak's  she swings her satf in an intricate arc about her body and intones the wizardish incantation as she finishes the magic word she brings the staff down the point touching the ground facing the creatures and a wave of thunderous force erupts roiling toward the monsters!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kora will unleash two arrows at the same target as Sigurn

attack 1

Roll(1d20)+6:
19,+6
Total:25 

Damage 1
2d8+6  

 Roll(2d8)+6:
7,5,+6
Total:18

Attack 2

Roll(1d20)+6:
11,+6
Total:17

damage

Roll(1d8)+6:
8,+6
Total:14

Remaining calm in the face of titanspawn enemies, she loosed a pair of arrows with the grace and precision that few Manticora could match, A small smile curling her lips, She loved fighting titanspawn, It left her feeling fulfilled as a huntress to slay them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vengaurak #1
Saving Throw: 1D20+5 => 19 Success!
Total Damage Taken: 11

Bonus Action: Moves its speed towards Siwan
Move Action: Not Necessary
Action: Makes a Bite Attack and a Constrict Attack against Siwan

Bite: 1D20+7 => 19 Hit!
Damage: 1D8+4+ 1D8 => 2 + 4 = 6 Piercing Damage + 4 Acid Damage Total Damage: 10 - Siwan takes a total of 10 Damage (As I believe she had no Resistances that apply)

Constrict: 1D20+7 => 12 Miss!

Vengaurak #2
Saving Throw: 1D20+5 => 8 Failure!
Total Damage Taken: 89

Bonus Action: Moves its speed towards Kora
Move Action: Moves towards Kora and reaches her. Siwan may use her Reaction to make a melee attack with a melee weapon in hand, if desired.
Action: Makes a Bite Attack and a Constrict Attack against Kora.

Bite: 1D20+7 => 15 Miss!

Constrict: 1D20+7 => 12 Miss! Damn you, you stupid Vengaurak!

Siwan
Reaction: Attack of Opportunity with her staff.

Staff
Rolling 1d20 + 4
( 11 ) + 4 = 15
Damage
Rolling 1d6 + 2
( 5 ) + 2 = 7

Zai
Action: Eldritch Blast, sending both bolts at the injured Vengaurak engaging Kora

Eldritch Blast - Bolt #1: 1D20+6 => 8 Miss!
Eldritch Blast - Bolt #2: 1D20+6 => 17 Hit!
Damage: 1D10+4+ 2D6 => (8 + 4 + 5 +5) = 22 Lightning Damage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

siwan take an attack of opprotunity at the one passing by her to attack kora

TO HIT

Rolling 1d20 + 4
( 11 ) + 4 = 15

DAMAGE

Rolling 1d6 + 2
( 5 ) + 2 = 7

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Siwan twists away and casts call lightning using 1 4th level slot placing the cloud over the place they are fighting

the bolt this round will be at the creature striking at her

spell does 4 d10 save for 1/2

Rolling 4d10
( 4 + 5 + 3 + 10 ) = 22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Move - Sigurn moves to Siwan's side
Action - Firebolt at the Vengaurak attacking Siwan.
Bonus - Giving Siwan an Inspiration Dice (+1d8 to a single ability check, saving throw, attack roll, damage roll or as a reaction to AC vs one attack and can be used/added AFTER the roll)

Firebolt attack roll

1D20+6 => (16 + 6) = 22 HITS!

Firebolt damage roll

2D10 => (7 + 6) = 13 Damage

 

Fluff

Seeing the wounds inflicted on the Vengaurak face to face with Kora, and knowing her friend's particular effectiveness against such titanspawn, Sigurn feels secure that she and Zai can finish the creature and so she slips past her friend, running to Siwan's side to lend her support.

"Hold steady, my friend, these foes look more fearsome than they are." she calls to Siwan, reassuring her.

Once at Siwan's side, Sigurn once again calls on the witching ways taught by her mother and summons forth another bolt of fire, placing her irritation and anger within it. With a brief incantation and gesture at the creature with her ax, a bolt of flame hurls forth at the Vengaurak, scorching it's chitinous hide and sending forth the foul smell of seared flesh beneath.

"Forget about her! Come at me you piece of filth!" she yells at the creature, trying to draw it's focus, and once again she raises her shield, bracing for retaliation from the beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kora will switch out for her cat claw weapons, changing over and then attacking the creature attacking her.

Attack 1

Roll(1d20)+10:
15,+10
Total:25

damage

Roll(1d8)+0:
7,+0
Total:7

Roll(1d6)+7:
1,+7
Total:8   total 15 damage

Attack 2

Roll(1d20)+10:
17,+10
Total:27

Damage roll 2

Roll(1d6)+7:
2,+7
Total:9

Bonus attack

Roll(1d20)+10:
20,+10
Total:30

Roll(2d6)+7:
4,5,+7
Total:16

 

With nary a thought as the creature closed in to attack, missing thankfully, Kora dropped her bow and donned her catclaws, letting out a feral growl as she seemed to lean back before lunging forward to tear at the carapace of the creature with the feral feline fury  that only a female Manticora could muster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vengaurak #1
Total Damage Taken: 46

Dex Saving Throw vs. DC 17 Call Lightning: 1D20-1 => (1 - 1) = 0 Failure!

Action: Bite Sigurn, Constrict Siwan

Bite: 1D20+7 => (14 + 7) = 21 Miss (Sigurn uses a charge of Shield from her Tattoo)
Constrict: 1D20+7 => (11 + 7) = 18 Miss (Siwan uses her Inspiration die, adding 1D8 => (7) = 7 to her AC against that attack)

 

Vengaurak #2
Total Damage Taken: 147 - DEAD!
Action: Attack Kora

Bite: 1D20+7 => (18 + 7) = 25 Hit!
Damage: 1D8+4+ 1D8 => 7 + 4 = 11 Piercing Damage + 5 Acid Damage Total Damage: 16

Constrict: 1D20+7 => (6 + 7) = 13 Miss!

Zai
Bonus Action: Dash towards the Vengaurak Kora is slicing to bits, moving into a flanking position.
Action: Attack Vengaurak with her Longknife - Flank provides Advantage on the Attack

Longknife: 1D20+8 => (10 + 8) = 18, 1D20+8 => (16 + 8) = 24 Hit!
Damage (+2d6 Sneak Attack):
1D6+5+ 2D6 => (6 + 5 + 2 +5) = 18 Vengaurak #2 is dead, though Kora had already brought it down to like 7hp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Action - 

Using the Dreadful feat to Frighten the Vengaurak.

The Vengaurak must make a Wisdom Save vs DC 17 or be Frightened until the end of Sigurn's next turn.

(A Frightened creature has disadvantage on Ability Checks and Attack rolls while the source of its fear is within line of sight, and the creature can’t willingly move closer to the source of its fear.)


Move -

If the Vengaurak fails it's save: 

Back away from the Vengaurak, out of melee, trying to guide Siwan to back away as well, behind her.

 

If the Vengaurak makes it's save:  

Sigurn will stay in melee, but try to move around it and away from Kora and Zai, hopefully giving them it's flank it if turn to follow her.


Bonus - 

If the Vengaurak fails it's save: 

None

 

If the Vengaurak makes it's save:  

Giving Siwan an Inspiration Dice (+1d8 to a single ability check, saving throw, attack roll, damage roll or as a reaction to AC vs one attack and can be used/added AFTER the roll)

 

Fluff

The Vengaurak's mandibles snapped at Sigurns face, but was blocked by an invisible shield of force, causing Sigurn to grin darkly. She reached down deep and drew on that inner darkness, unleashing it for just a moment as she snarled at the creature. 

"You think you can hurt me?! Or that we're afraid of you?! You are NOTHING!" she snarled at the creature, her voice laced with hate and anger, ending with a bellowing roar.

If it fails the save:

Sigurn gave another, smaller snarl, feinting a lurch toward the Vengaurak, watching it cower away from her and then, with a pleased grin on her lips she began to back away several steps, holding an arm out to try and help guide Siwan back away from the monstrosity as well, giving them room for spells.

If it makes the save:

Sigurn, still breathing heavy, her face twisted into a mask of anger and hate, slowly moved around the creature, trying to keep it's attention so as to coax it to give it's back to Kora and Zai.

"Stay alert, my friend. This monstrosity is not done with us yet." she said to Siwan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Siwan will hold the lightning bolt with concentration and cast firebolt since she id within 5' of the monster she id disadvantaged

Rolling 1d20 + 7
( 7 ) + 7 = 14

Rolling 1d20 + 7
( 12 ) + 7 = 19

Damage  Rolling 1d10
( 2 ) = 2

wasted effort regardless

Siwan holds the staff up and with her empty hand make a few quick gestures and mouths words of magic. The words are different from those spoken by Sigurn as are the gestures yet the result is the same as two bolts of fire leap from her hand to flash in the monsters face

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Her immediate foe dead, she spared a moment to nod appreciatively, then, despite the injury, Kora leaped back into battle, crossing the distance to the remaining creature and tearing into its unsuspecting back.

3 attacks

attack 1

Roll(1d20)+10:
16,+10
Total:26

Damage

Roll(2d8)+7:
5,6,+7
Total:18

attack 2

Roll(1d20)+10:
11,+10
Total:21

Damage

Roll(1d8)+7:
6,+7
Total:13

bonus attack 

Roll(1d20)+10:
6,+10
Total:16

Damage

Roll(1d8)+7:
5,+7
Total:12
total damage 53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×