Aberrant: Weirder Stuff - Chapter I Homecoming

WS ST

Aberrant: Weirder Stuff

Chapter I

Homecoming

I believe in the possible. I believe, small though we are, insignificant though we may be, we can reach a full understanding of the universe. You were right when you said you felt small, looking up at all that up there. We are very, very small, but we are profoundly capable of very, very big things.” – Stephen Hawking

Autumn, the green hues of summer shifts. Gaze across the plains toward the mountains, welcome brilliant shades of yellow and gold as aspen, cottonwood and tamarack trees change with the season. The winds blow from the north and summer heat gives way to cooler temperatures in anticipation of winters coming cold.

In the cities and towns, the people go about their lives mostly concerned with their own needs, with only the things that touch their own lives. Everyone has concerns. Bills, Politics, religion, what have you. But then Friday comes and most of the populace put aside their concerns at least during the fall for Friday means Football.

Shelly, Montana Friday October 7 2016 6:00AM

The two young women ran through the darkness even with the cold morning air they were both covered with a thin sheen of good workout sweat. Lilly Pryor and Kia Mizuki, students at Shelly High School and next door neighbors in the small housing unit on base, had been running together in the mornings for over a month now. They had become friends after Kia had moved to the base when her father had surprised her and her mother with a new job, a job he basically told them nothing about except that it was a government research job and that it was classified. So far Kia hated it here but she had found a friend in Lilly, and a pass time in gaming which she had never thought she would enjoy even with the other kids in the group, aside from Lilly, were all a bit...odd.

Lilly's circumstances were a bit different She had moved here her freshman year (she was a junior now), from her dad's last post after he was promoted and assigned to Bulwark AB as the commander of the security detachment. Lilly had been used to moving around but Shelly was almost like a foreign post and the base rules a lot stricter than the other bases they had been at. At first Lilly had taken pity at first on Kia, after all she had been the new kid since she had arrived here three years before, and now it was Kia's turn. But after knowing the small Asian girl for a short time Lilly found that the two had a lot of things in common and that she actually liked her.

They approached the mid point of their run and paused for a water break at the fence separating the small air field from the rest of the base. As they drank their water Lilly spotted a late model gray sedan parked under helipad lights. “Is that your dad's car?” She asked between sips. Kia looked that way. “Looks like it. Wonder what he's doing here.” As the girls looked on they could see that it was Kia's dad, he was by a dark van supervising the unloading of what looked like small cages, in the distance they could hear an approaching helicopter. Suddenly a bright light shined on the two girls startling them.

“You two need to move away from the fence please.” An airman came toward them quickly from the direction of the Airfield gate, his rifle cradled in his arms in a non threatening manner but his voice had been stern when he called out. The man wasn't much older than the two girls a year or two at most, but it was obvious when he moved between them and the view of the field that he was serious. “Sorry ladies but I need you two to clear the area, at least back to the main road.” He points with his left hand back up the short road that leads to the airfield gate a good 25 yards away. The girls nod and head back that way puzzled, they had been running this way every day except Sundays for the last month and no one had ever bothered them before. It was a puzzle that they talked about after they finished their run, showered, changed and met back at Lilly's truck so she could drive them to school.

Shelly High School

7:30 AM

At Shelly high, like virtually every other high school in the country, the hour or so before classes begin for the day are the times when the kids who make up the student body meet and carouse with their friend sharing what they did over the evening before, making their out of class plans for the day ahead, catching up on last minute home work which often means copying from someone else's assignment, and generally just being kids.

They arrive at the modern campus in a variety of ways some drive their own cars or trucks, others are dropped off by their parents, some ride the school bus, and others walk. The school itself seems out of place in a town which looks much like it did in the middle of the last century. It boasts an ultra modern facility and a comprehensive and some what advanced curriculum for it's rural placement. The kids who go here and want to excel can do so and be well prepared for the wold after graduation. Some kids just go there to mark time.

Lilly and Kia arrive in her old pickup pulling into the parking lot behind Chet Walker in his Red Camaro the newest most expensive car any of the students and even the teachers owned. Chet was the son of the current mayor a local business man who was not well liked but was good at spreading the wealth.

Chet was a lot like his dad, arrogant and narcissistic, but not quite as smart. He was the kind of kid who thought he was the best but in reality was at best average. He played football but wasn't the star of the team that role went to Sandy Caldwell a Senior and the most popular boy in school and to Lilly, Sandy's heir apparent to the title of star player. In fact while Sandy was still on the roster as the starting QB for the Rangers , the team name in Shelly, it was Lilly who had carried the team the most this year. Chet resented Lilly and he was intimidated by her.

Chet and his troll buddies crawled out of the sports scar and leered at Kia as she got out of the truck. Kia was wearing her cheerleading uniform since it was tradition for the cheerleadrs to run the halls between classes on game days psyching people up for the nights game. She joined Lilly at the front of the truck ignoring the cretins ogling her. She and Lilly started toward the Building where they planned to meet with Sean and Abel, two of their gaming friends, to discuss the weekends plans. As the two girls walked away the three boys followed a few yards behind yammering and laughing. Then Chet spotted something more interesting to him than the two girls. Grabbing his thug buddies he veered off toward one of the secondary entrances to the West halls of the school.

Across the lot Abel Cross backed into his usually parking spot and he and his twin sisters climbed out of his jeep. The twins, Mellysa and Dalia, waved goodbye to their older brother and headed off to join some of their friends just getting off the bus. Abel watched his little sisters a few moments before throwing his backpack over one shoulder and starting off toward the lunchroom where he and his gaming friends usually met on Friday mornings, along the way he greeted friends and classmates. He saw Lilly and Kia a little ways ahead of him and called out for them to wait. The two of them were in the gaming group and they also all ran track together. As he caught up to them a thought pushed through his filters and caused him to look around <goddammit, fucking bitches they already have all the other boys wrapped why do they have to go after the one I want> Abel's gaze fell on Gina Keller a girl in his class, as soon as she saw him looking her way she turned red and her scowl turned into a embarrassed smile as she gave him a little wave. With a little effort Abel blocked her out and he sighed inwardly just what I need. After greeting Lilly and Kia the three continued on into the Lunchroom.

The expansive Lunchroom/Assembly hall was full of kids and teachers many who were taking advantage of the breakfast program. As the three gamers made their way toward their usual table another of their group was just coming out of the breakfast line.

Alec Cordeaux was the youngest member of the gaming group and just a freshman he had had to ride the bus this morning which menat he hadn't had time to eat at home. He and another freshman, Teena Whitesong, a friend who he had befriended a year ag when she moved from the reservation after her Parents had been killed in a fire and she had been fostered to a couple here in Shelly. Alec and Teena shared a lot of the same likes when it came to clothing and she had even taken a try at skating. Alec had considered inviting her to the game and he did so again but wasn't sure how the rest of the group would react to an indian. If there was one thing the people in Shelly didn't think highly of it was the Native Americans from the Res. But Alec was the newest member of the group and wasn't ready to put himself out there quite yet so he told Teena he would see her later and headed to the gamers table.

At their table was Felix Leonhart, spread out before him on the table were various comic books and mangas and he was busy drawing in a classic sketch pad. Felix, a sophomore this year, was prehaps the best artist in school and his love of anime and comics had made him a natural at the gaming table where he drew portraits of the other players characters as well as full scenes from their games. Usually shy and awkward he was very animated and outgoing with his friends especially when talking anime.

As they all converged and said their hellos and took their seats only one thing was missing their Game Master.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sean closed his locker door softly so as not to draw any attention to himself a habit he had perfected over the years. He still couldn't believe that he had been assigned a locker all the way at the end of the west wing north side He glanced left at the emergency fire exit a couple of yards away and grimaced can't even slip out that way if bad shit come my way he thought.

Sean was the single most bullied kid currently enrolled in any of the three Shelly schools. At 16 he barely reached 5' in height and weighed maybe 95 pounds wet and carrying all his books. His features were delicate and still had a prepubescent look. It was one of the reasons he was picked on so much. He looked like a child of twelve and could easily pass as a boy or a girl and kids being kids he had been picked on in one form or another ever since puberty hit everyone else leaving him chocking on the dust. Shouldering his book bag he turned to head to the lunch room and his friends only to find himself looking into the grinning face of Chet Walker his number one tormentor.

Chet had spotted the little faggot going into the building just as he was about to say something about that Air Force bitch Lilly, he knew deep down that the girl quarterback could kick his ass unless he got real lucky so seeing sissisdy was a relief. He was always good for some laughs and it got even better if the little faggot fought back then Chet would get to kick some ass of his own.

Chet punched his fist into the palm of his open hand. All Sean could think was how fucked he was as he let the bag slip off his shoulder ready to use it as club at least get one or tow licks in before they pummeled him. Chet and the goons step toward Sean and the few other students in that part of the hall simply stepped away and watched. No one went to get a teacher. Chet opened his mouth to speak but some one else spoke first.

“Leave him alone Walker he hasn't done a damn thing to you.” Chet took a step back as Sara Hutchins, the sheriffs daughter, high school senior, and supposed lesbian, pushed her way past his two friends and stopped directly between him and Sean.

Shit another fag Chet thought trying to come up with something to say “Why? Is he your girlfriend now?” Sara's brow furrowed and she half turned and looked at Sean. Sean though Chet might swing at her but she faced the bully again before Chet thought of it himself. “Just stop being an asshole, Chet, that's all.” Chet frowned “Yeah, or what?” Sara shook her head and step a bit closer to the bigger boy. “Or find somewhere else to get your weed.” Without waiting for a reply the leather jacket clad girl turned and walked to the fire door and pushed it open and went outside.

Sean had expected the alarm to sound and started a few seconds when it didn't then he spun back to Chet but the bully and his friends had already turned and headed up the hall. Sean looked at the fire door and saw Sara' sitting down on the step. Why had she stepped in no one ever stepped in except Abel or Lilly and no one ever picked on him when they were around. This was first. He went after Sara pushing open the fire door half expecting the alarm to sound this time. He stepped around her and went down the steps to the ground before facing her. She was seated on the top step and sitting there she was still taller by about an inch than him. That sucks he thought.

She just sat there staring at him an unlit cigarette between her lips an old fashioned lighter in her hand. There was a look of questioning on her face.

Sean stood there silent he kept looking at the cigarette and realized he didn't know anybody who smoked. No one. He blinked several times. She took the cigarette from her mouth. He wanted to ask her why she helped him but every time he opened his mouth he just closed it again. Finally she broke the silence with a single word. “What?”

It had been harsh like he was bothering her but it broke his own spell of silence. He was going to ask why she had helped him but when the words came out that's not what they were.

“Do you really have a tattoo?”

She stared then put the cigarette back in her mouth and lit it. He didn't know why he had asked that but now he was curious.

She slipped the lighter into her jeans pocket and shrugged her leather jacket off. She was wearing a zipped gray hoodie underneath she unzipped that revealing that she wore a plain white muscle t-shirt underneath that. Sean forgot about the tattoos as she let the hoodies fall off her shoulders. The T-shrt she ware was tight and thin and she wasn't wearing a bra. Her breasts were clearly visible he dark nipples erect from the sudden cold, pushing against the fabric. Her little bark of laughter brought his eyes up to hers his face turning red as blood rush to his cheeks. “I knew you weren't queer” She blew some smoke out of the side of her mouth and twisted to the right showing her left bicep. “Yeah I got 4 of em. This is fire,” She twisted left revealing the right bicep. “Earth” Then she shrugged her foodie back on and zipped it up “Got air and water on my ankles. Gonna get spirit on the back of my neck.” She rubs the spot on the back of her neck, “Right here, next time I'm out on the res.”

Just then two more kids both sophomores Sean recognized came around the corner of the building closest to them. They froze when they saw Sean. Sara stood up, putting her jacket back on and reaching inside.

“It's ok He's cool.” She said to the two boys. Then to him “Your cool? Right?”

Sean wasn't sure what she was really asking but he nodded “Yeah. Yeah sure I'm cool.”

She proceeded to pull out a small plastic baggie inside Sean could see the little tightly rolled up cigarettes and knew they didn't contain tobacco. His first inclination was to leave but for some reason he didn't instead he just turned around and stepped about a yard away. He could hear them talking but their voices were very low and after only a minute or two they stopped he was about to turn around again thinking that all three of them had left, when he felt a tugging at his book-bag. He spun around and Sara stepped back the published adventure he had been adapting in her hands, the other two kids were gone.”Hey give that back!” his anger was palpable. Sara who had started to flip the pages stopped and raised an eyebrow before holding it out for him to take. “You know this is one of the reasons people pick on you.”

Sean grab the book and stuffed it back into his book-bag. “There isn't anything wrong with gaming a lot of people play roleplaying games, a lot of popular people not just nerds you know.” Sean was riled and the look Sara was giving him looked condescending. “ Really? Who?”

It was time to get to his friends for the life of him he couldn't figure why he had even bothered coming out here. He stormed past her heading toward the corner but stopped and spun back.

“Yeah, a lot of Popular kids play my game It fun and it lets you be someone you aren't for a little. I won't give the usual speech about how it teaches teamwork and social skills cause I don't know if that would mean anything to someone like you. But I tell you this everyone who has ever played in my game has had a hell of a lot more fun than smoking one of those joints give you. Maybe you should try it some time.” He realized he had stepped back toward her and his fists were clinched.

Sara just stood still and listened a bit amazed when he balled his fists and stepped toward her. “Who?”

Sean paused. “What?”

“I said Who? Who plays your game that's popular, like I really care about whose popular, but go ahead, tell me who.”

“Well Abel Cross he's been in the group since we were in middle school. And then there's our teams quarterback, Lilly Pryor, she plays, and the new girl Kia Mizuki.”

“The cheerleader? She's hot.” Sara thought about it. “I didn't mean to insult your game. I'm sorry.”

Sean a bit calmer nodded. “I meant it when I said maybe should try it.”

She nods “Maybe. I'll think about it. Bells in fifteen your friends are probably wondering where you are, don't you usually meet up with them before class?”

“Yeah I better go. Thanks for the help with Chet. I'll see you at the pep rally later. Maybe.”

Five minutes later Sean was walking up to his gaming group. Wondering what he was going to tell them about why he was so late.

Spoiler

Little time to roleplay welcome to the game be high school kids :)

Sean slumped into his regular seat at one corner of their table, only his toes barely able to touch the ground. He gave his friends a wan, crooked grin as he shrugged off his book-bag, which thumped down on the table. He pulled out a Thermos and poured himself a cup of home-brewed instant coffee, heavy on sugar and cream - they always gave the teen who looked like a tween odd looks when he got a coffee at Bunnies Burgers.

"Sorry I'm late guys, I had to engage in some Chet-evasion," Sean admitted without divulging any details. When Lilly and Abel seemed about to get up, he waved a slim, placating hand, his mouth tightening. "No, no, it's alright, he didn't do anything but call me some names. Something else was on his mind, meager as it is."

While he was grateful to have friends that would stand up for him, Sean hated that they even had to, wishing he could do it himself... without earning so many bruises. Having someone else, even if he'd known her most of his life, do so was almost bewildering and he didn't want to tell the group until he understood why Sara had. He had to know. Why hadn't I asked her? Was is because I didn't want to hear her say she had to because I'm so... so puny? He snorted privately. At least she hadn't thought I was gay! Er, not that there's anything wrong with that.

They traded assorted barbs at Chet's expanse as Sean took sips of the nectar of life that was coffee. He'd been up late working on the campaign and updating a website, not that that was anything out of the ordinary for him. While doing so, he looked over Felix's drawings, pointing out ones he particularly liked or would like to use for the Game. He'd been okay, maybe even a little better than okay, at drawing characters, monsters, and scenes for the Game, but Felix was way better and Sean was fine with him taking care of most of art so he could focus on story and plot.

"I really like that one, but can you make it a little blurry, like you're seeing it through dirty glass or ice, and add more tentacles and teeth?" Sean suggested, smirking. "For the Campaign." The others mock-groaned at what was looking to be in store for them. "Oh, speaking of the Campaign, do you guys think you'd be up for long night of gaming tomorrow, starting from after dinner 'til whenever we can't keep our eyes open any longer? I have something really special planned and I'm hoping to get to it this session. Revelations, even!" 

He paused for moment, pursed lips angling from one side to the other as he mused, then ran a hand through his short, auburn hair, looking extra red under the morning sunlight streaming in through the windows. Then he added in a hedging tone, "What would you guys say 'bout someone else sitting in on a game, just for a session or two, to see what it's like?"

When one developed the ability to read minds, most would think this to be an awesome and amazing power, an endless gift.  This morning the power Abel had kept hidden had been something of a chore.   Sure enough, he'd learned quickly how to "Filter" all the voices that he heard in his head, and most especially recognize his own. Never one to pry needlessly, he only rarely went deeper into someone's thoughts that the surface, the need simply wasn't there.  Hiding what he knew, though, that could be more of a chore than you might think.  He took some pride in never abusing the power to know what was gonna happen next in the game allowing him to be genuinely surprised. 

He had sat down with Felix, finishing up some homework while the other student worked on his art before everyone else had come.  He still caught stray thoughts about how it was a shame that he didn't play football, among other things.  In truth, Teenagers had some pretty petty, vindictive and libido driven thoughts, and unless he took measures to avoid it, he heard every damn one.  

After noting Sean's absence, he quickly reached out, cutting through the sea of minds at the school and finding the familiar mind of his friend.  He overheard roughly half the conversation that occurred, as Sean thought about it.  It was the one part he didn't like he couldn't get a real feel of what was going on, simply because he could only see the thoughts, not through his eyes.

When Sean finally made it to them he nodded.  "I'm fine with another person sitting in to see what its like, provided they follow the rules we've got in place already.  I trust when you make the invitation, you'll inform them of those."

Alec slid into place beside Lilly, giving the others at the table a nod, noting that Sean didn't seem to be there. That was unlike him. He let it pass with a shrug, pulling out a small sketchbook and beginning work on a new piece. In the beginning, he hadn't really known what to think about the group in general and Sean in specific. Up till recently he had been closer friends with Sean's sister Laurelei than with the boy himself. His first proper introduction being around this time last year when they commissioned a Halloween costume for him. He winced in remembrance. Major kudos to Sean for actually wearing the Harley Quinn costume his sisters came up with. It took some balls to wear that thing.... Ironically enough.

But Sean at least seemed to remember Alec's efforts to make it not completely humiliating. Had invited him along to the game shortly after he himself started Highschool. Alec'd only been coming along the last couple of months. Catching sight of Sean's harassed looking form coming in the doors, he tsked quietly to himself. That went a way towards explaining things. Receiving confirmation when he actually sat at the table. His history with Chet was well documented in their little group.

Closing his sketchbook and idly twirling his pencil between his fingers as the table devolved into various insults, he let a small smile curl his lips. Whatever about other issues, he did enjoy the group. Gave him a place to unwind. Nodding to Sean's query he responds. "I'm happy to go as long as is possible. Nothing planned for the next while, but if we're gonna be going particularly late, I'm either gonna need a lift or a couch to crash on." he offered a self deprecating shrug. It was irritating, being the youngest and not being able to drive.

Raising an eyebrow in Query to Sean's addendum, he continues "No problems here. Who is it that's caught your eye?"

Kia was immediately engrossed in the pictures once she took a seat on the opposite side of Lilly from Alec.She leaned over and gently slid them around to find the ones she liked the most, making little 'ooo' noises, and soft comments like, 'I like this one'

The new kid on the block was not especially 'good' at gaming. She had trouble with learning the rules, and her character was pretty transparently just a version of herself, but with a bow. She'd wanted to be 'kind of like Robin Hood,' so the gang guided her towards an archery-oriented ranger, and she seemed to be liking it pretty well once all the things she needed to roll dice for were neatly listed on the sheet so she never had to crack the book open.

What she lacked in method acting though, she made up for in sheer friendliness. She was always quick with compliments, eager to include and be included. There'd been a time when it might have just been that she was desperate for friends, but by now Lilly and those who saw her outside of gaming could attest that...nope. That's just kind of how she was.

After Sean spoke, Kia looked up and winced theatrically and moaned, "Oh nooooo, not more tentacles!" Then she laughed and shrugged at his question."

"Sure, I don't mind."

Lilly had only move to Shelly less then two years ago and was "the new kid" for some time. Though she was still seen that way, she had since made friends and earned some degree of acceptance among the locals (football will do that). Abel was one of her first friends in Shelly and through him she met Sean and was brought into the gaming group after a time. All in all, she enjoyed it. At the very least it was an escape and some time relaxing among friends. When Kia arrived in town, the mantel of "the new kid" was passed along to her, something which Lilly understood all too well. She an Kia were both military brats and discovered they had a long in common, such as a love of swimming, surfing and the beach in general.. They quickly became friends and Lilly invited her to the gaming group after a short time. Adding a second girl to certainly wasn't a bad thing in Lilly's opinion. The thought of adding a fifth guy to the group was not thrilling to her.

Lilly shrugged at Sean's question, somewhat relenting to the likely addition of another guy.

"Yeah. Who is it?" she asked before taking a swig off of her water bottle.

Felix is working on a drawing for the game master, which was Sean, for the game that Sean was running. He looks over the jagged notes on what Sean wanted and doesn't want. It was typical work for Felix. He did many different work request for various people in his travels. Some where for fun, while others had a purpose. With Sean he wanted to craft a story, something Felix can appreciate.

Felix heard Sean's explanation for being late. Felix didn't want to give his two cents on that matter. When Sean reported that Felix needed to do some light details to make the scene more effective Felix was willing to do so. “How many additional tentacles do you want on it? Any particular area you want them on? Also with the teeth how long the length between the teeth you want it to go? As for staying up late I don't mind, I just have to check to make sure I don't work the following day. As for allowing someone else coming into the game I also don't mind being new myself at the game.” Felix asked as he stops what he was doing to let Sean replied to his inquiry. 

Sean grinned ruefully. Sometimes, Felix took his suggestions too literally, asking for more details than was totally necessary. He trusted him and the pictures didn't need to be a hundred percent accurate for the most part, unless he was trying to hide a hint or clue in one of them.

"Just do whatever feels right, Felix. No worries, you guys won't be able to tell exactly how many tentacles it has. You'll have other things to worry about." Sean gave his friends his best evil grin, his large teal eyes bright, but he didn't add the megalomaniacal laughter. He had to really work at it, otherwise it sounded more like a witch's cackle instead.

When Alec and Lilly asked who might be sitting in on their game though, Sean seemed a bit shy, a bit awkward about admitting who it was, delaying any answer behind the pretext of drinking coffee. "Well, I don't know if they are interested, like for real, just that, y'know, when I explained what gaming was and who played, they started reconsidering that it wasn't just for nerds looking to get beat-up..." It wasn't an actual answer and when Sean saw the looks on their faces that they knew he was evading, he forced himself to mumble, "Mrrma Smrhkns."

"Who?" Lilly and Alec asked simultaneously.

Sean sighed, exasperated, an expression like they had interrogated him for hours on his youthful, mobile face. He looked around, to make sure no one else was close enough to hear, but lowered his voice anyway. "Sara Hutchkins. Maybe. I dunno."

Spoiler

Everyone in the group knows or knows about Sara Hutchins. The younger kids know the stories as anecdotes and rumors. the older kids (juniors) all know her. the only exception is Kia who hasn't been exposed to either her or the rumors/innuendo and would be hard pressed to even point her out since she is a senior. let the RP continue!  ST EDIT

"Daughter of the Sheriff, best weed hookup in town rumored lesbian Sara Hutchins, that one?"  Abel looked at Sean and sighed.  "Sure, whatever, as I said, she's gotta follow the rules."   he didn't care one way or another, he knew what was true and wasn't, and he wasn't that concerned really.   Besides, he didn't give a damn about what many beyond the group thought about him.   Adding Sara to their motley collection would give them pretty much one of all the cliques at school, making them truly eclectic, but that was part of what made things so much fun for him.  Watching Sean be so evasive, he wondered what he'd missed of the incident, and shrugged.  If it were truly important, Sean would tell them.

"I take it we're all going to the game to support our friends who'll be playing?"   Watching football wasn't his favorite thing, but since he counted two of his good friends among the team, and Kia of course as a cheerleader, he figured the least he could do is watch them play and support the team.

Alec paused for a moment. That he hadn't seen coming, though the mischievous smile he sent Sean had the other boy blushing at the implications. He lets out a small laugh before beginning, expression becoming bemused.

"Only met her a couple times. When my Sister drops me off. Didn't think gaming would be her thing. But I'm good with it." He had some reservations, honestly, given the rumours floating around about her as well as his sisters own knowledge of the girl, but hell. Something something books and covers. If Sean was vouching her interest and the others were all right with it, he'd give it a shot. Who knows. Friends are hard enough to come by. He's not gonna complain if he gets another one out of the deal. His thoughts turned to Teena as well, an uncomfortable look passing over his features. He did want to put her forwards as a member as well, but didn't know how the group would take it exactly. The Indians as a whole had a bad rep, but at the same time... most of the folks at the table had at least at least one one less than flattering rumour floating around about them. Ugh.

He was also concerned for Teena. He remembered what it was like after his dad had died. It was probably the worst year he'd had, and he had still had his sister and Kathryn afterwards. Losing both her parents, being shuffled into foster care and not having friends in school? Shit. The pencil began spinning through his fingers once again. The speed belying his nerves. Shrugging to Kia once she's done, half in apology for taking off on a non sequitur and half to demonstrate his own lack of knowledge, he begins;

"Listen, guys. Given we're on the subject and all. I realise that we're a large enough group as it is, but I was wondering if I could put someone forward as well? I know I'm the newest here, and I don't want to overstep my boundaries or anything, but yeah......" he didn't want to overstep his boundaries with her either by revealing anything about her situation either, so he was in a bit of a bind. He winces "Not my place to say anything, but I'm worried about her. She's had a rough time the last while. Think hanging with us will do her a lot of good, just having people to talk to." He ducks his head slightly in embarrassment, hand running through his hair to scratch at the back of his head. He hoped the others would be ok with it.

Kia wasn't from Montana. The 'rumored lesbian' thing barely moved her needle. The weed hookup thing though...

"She's okay though right?" the cheerleader asked, a little nervously. "I mean, she's not like a drug dealer. She just...like...sometimes..." sells people drugs? How is that not a drug dealer?

"You know what I mean," she finished lamely. "She's okay?"

Felix nodded quietly in understatement in what Sean was saying. Felix was a bit of a perfectionist though most people didn't recognize this. He wanted to make things as best as possible. He also wanted his employers to be happy with his work. As such he worked hard on his projects. He was a tad nervous from Sean's replied, but it made Felix even more determine to do things right.

As for the women in question, Sara Hutchkins, Felix didn't much care for rumors. Rumors were just that, speculation. Something Felix did not ply or care for. Felix cared for facts more then anything else. Sure he was creative, but he did not want to speculate about people. If you got it wrong then things could go sour real quick. "As I said I have no problem with people coming in. I am just here to relax and have some fun."

At Alec's teasing grin, Sean when red. WIth his reddish-brown hair and relatively fair skin, he looked almost as red as an apple as he protested. "It's not like that! It's not! It's..."

Sean trailed off and Cade caught an quick image of Sara Hutchkins, looking taller than she really was, standing between Sean and Chet, then a flash of boobs seen through an indecently thin white shirt. Sean shrugged his slender shoulders at Kia. It still irritated him that he was even smaller than the only Asian girl in school - even if she was only half-Asian - but Kia was so ebullient and friendly, he could get over it. Mostly.

"Sara... she's... okay, I think she's okay..." Glancing at the clock on the wall of the cafeteria, Sean finished his coffee and started putting away his Thermos before the warning bell rang. "I mean, I think she's more okay than she pretends to be, or lets people see. If she asks, I'll give her a chance. I... owe her that." Sean stood up and swung his book-bag over his slight shoulders and settled it's weight then nodded at Alec. "Your friend too, Alec, if she's interested." He pursed his lips, eyes slightly downcast as they flicked side-to-side while he considered. "I think I got a good place to introduce a pair of new characters in the next session or two."

He nodded at Felix and gave his friends a rueful grin. "Yeah, I'll see you guys at the game. Laurie is on the cheerleading team this year and mom said I had to go."

It wasn't he didn't support his friends who were on the Football team or cheerleading team, but sports wasn't really his thing, and few didn't take the opportunity to mock or tease him when he did go to a rally or game. But he could endure it for his friends and family, even if Laurelei was trying to convince him to dress up like Harley Quinn for Halloween again this year, though this time as Suicide Squad version.

"Sara Hutchins, eh?" Lilly asked, somewhat surprised by the name.

There was clearly something more there than Sean was letting on though, with his reluctance to divulge the name and whatnot. If he saw fit to invite her then she's probably cool. That, or he's crushing on her. Lilly didn't push the issue though. It wasn't that big a deal to her really. At least it was another girl to help balance the ratio in the group.

Lilly shrugged.

"Fine with me, as long as she's not smoking that stuff at the game. And I can give rides to anybody who needs one too, just let me know.." she offered as she slipped the straps of her backpack over her shoulders and adjusted her Nike hoodie, preparing to walk to class.

Spoiler

I just wanted to get that little bit in. I'm done otherwise, so I have no objection to moving to the next scene.

As Lilly stood the first bell rang signaling the official beginning of the school day. The friends scooped up the books and papers and said their goodbyes and headed to their various classes.

Felix and Alec were the odd men out in their little group with Alec being a freshman and Felix a sophomore so the two of them headed to their individual classes and their other friends in their own classes. Neither of them shared any classes with any of the others.

Kia, Lilly, Abel, And Sean were juniors and had core classes together only splitting up for elective and special AP courses. Kia had to run and meet with the other cheerleaders to cheer while the rest of the student body went to class. She would have a excuse for her tardiness and join Able and Lilly in Senior English with Mrs Alenby while Sean went to an advance computer course that he actually helped (unofficially) teach with Mr Dunwell.

At lunch time Felix, Alec, his friend Taleena Whitesong, joined Sean at the regular nerd table. Kia again had to go with the Cheerleading squad since they would be doing a routine during lunch. Lilly sat with the Football players because it was game day and was expected of her. Again such is the way of small town schools everyone had their expected place and few could freely float form clique to clique at will.

One of those few was Able. He came in and selected his lunch then surveyed the lunchroom deciding where to sit when he felt someone come up beside him and smelled cigarettes.

Seniors don't have to stay on campus for lunch and few of them do most of the time. Sure the Senior football players and cheerleaders do but the rest generally take a run either to Bunee's Burgers or the PizaaHut for the buffet. Some just disappear for the 45 minutes. That last one was Sara Hutchins. When she was an underclassman she would sit by herself when she ate lunch or skip lunch altogether and study in the library. Today was the first time since school started this year that she had been seen in the lunchroom and yes people noticed. She brushed past Abel and headed towards Sean and the gamer table.

“OMG what is the dyke doing here?” hissed Courtney Adams, senior, head cheerleader (for now) and daughter of the schools athletic director. Several of the other cheerleaders giggled then one of them, Beverly Townsand, gasped out “She's going to the nerd table” another chimed up “I saw her get in Chet's face this morning when he was picking on the little freak” Kia twisted around in her chair to see a tallish dirty blond girl in a leather jacket striding toward the gamer table. Behind her she heard Courtney whisper her name venom dripping from her voice. “Kia, you better watch it your just the type that lesbian bitch goes for.”

At the football table similar talk mostly from Chet, takes place but with much rougher language none of them seeming to care that Lilly is sitting among them until Sandy Caldwell tells them to tone it down. Chet looks at Sandy, a scowl on his face, then shrugs his shoulders.”Whatever.” He laughs. “Looks like I was right though, seems the lez does have a new girlfriend.”

Eschewing his own rotation of going to sit with few members of the track team who weren't on the football or baseball team on game day, he followed Sara to the Nerd table, his own old home with several friends.  It was not wholly a whim, but he was like that.  He sat down in his usual spot, noting the reactions from those not at the table and smiling inwardly.   It seemed so few remembered that this was the table he's sat at first, before he ever joined a sports team of any kind.  "I see things are pretty much the same as always in the lunchroom on gameday..."  he looked to Sara and nodded.  "I'm abit surprised to see you here Sara, I've not seen you in here this whole year."   His smile was warm and genuine, indicating it wasn't some sort of dig.

Lilly gave a single nod of her head in thanks to Sandy. He was a good guy and after a some initial resentment when she joined the team, the both of them became friendly. She was not as tight with him as she was with the gaming group, but she counted him as one of her friends. She was playing mostly to make her father proud, since he didn't get the boy he had always wanted, and both Lilly and her father loved watching football on the weekends. She did not want to push anybody out when she joined the team though, and Sandy understood that, even though he acknowledge she was the superior athlete, something which is rather difficult to do at that age. he was mature though, and had a good heart when it counted, so Lilly made sure that she was cool with him.

Lilly looked over to Chet, making eye contact with him to get his attention.

"What would you know about girlfriends, Chet? You pick up yours in the Skin Care aisle for $3.99." she said across the table to him, putting Chet in his place which caused the rest of the table to laugh and/or recoil at that 'sick burn'.

Chet turned red as the other boys joined Lilly laughing, he muttered something under his breath but the only word Lilly caught  due to the others noise was "Fags". She was about to say somethign elses when she felt a touch on her shoulder. Startled she looked back and saw Sandy standing there tray in hand. He leaned down "Hey Lilly, can I talk to you a minute outside after lunch?"

Sean saw Sara walking towards the table with Abel right behind her but before he or she could say anything Abel spoke.

Sara wasn't sure what she was doing this was stupid and crazy why on earth did she even think about going to this silly game thing. Sh was almost to the table when Sean looked up, damn he had pretty eyes, when She heard Abel's voice behind her. She stopped and turned to face him as he went to take his seat putting his tray on the table. Everyone at the table was now watching the strange blond.

"Um yeah ...I ...um" everything she thought to say just sounded dumb so instead she stood there chewing her lower lip feeling like a deer caught in the headlights.

Kia was caught off-guard by Courtney's admonition, and it was with some relief that she giggled at Lilly's joke, overheard from a table over, even if it was a little mean-spirited for her liking. And really, Chet earned comments like that with his constant negativity.

She leaned forward then and tried to put things on a better course.

"All right, lets not get distracted you guys. I still think we need to kick things up more in halftime. What about one of those pyramid things?"

'Uh, sure." Lilly replied, the smile slowly fading from her face as she was slightly confused.

Lilly had known Sandy for some time now. Both were quarterbacks on the football team, so they would memorize plays together and try to give each other feedback on their play. After that brief period when Lilly first joined the team, they had been friendly and developed a mutual respect. So it struck her a bit odd that Sandy would ask to her alone after lunch, since usually they just talked at the table like everyone else.

She did her best to push it fro her mind for the moment, returning to her lunch and hanging out with the team. Lilly knew bonding time like this was important, especially for quarterbacks, especially with the offensive line. It helped inspire and drive them to work harder and perform better when they were protecting a friend.

As she talked and joked with the team Lilly glanced over at the gamer table for a split second and noticed Sara standing at it. Maybe she was interested in the game after all. She shrugged mentally and turned her attention back to the carousing at the table, finding her thoughts still lingering on what was up with Sandy.

Laurelei glared daggers at Courtney. Well, her back anyway. She was only a freshman, had just joined the Cheerleading team, and didn't want to run afoul of the Head Cheerleader already. Not without getting better at basketball. But Sean was her brother, and while she teased him, she couldn't help but feel defensive of him too, even if he was older than she was.

But even she was surprised and stared when Sara walked up to his and his friends' regular table. Sean stared too, not looking anymore comfortable than Sara felt, though she didn't miss the way his remarkable turquoise eyes flicked down for a moment to her chest hidden by her heavy leather jacket. Through her awkwardness, her lips quirked in half a grin.

Even if she was interested in his game, Sean had never expected she'd come see him about it, or anything really, during school hours. "Erm, ah... Hi!" Sean finally managed, blushing again as his voise rose to a girlish register in his surprise. His slender shoulders slumped as he felt all the eyes on him. But then he firmed his jaw stubbornly. Eyes, smirks, comments and insults were always directed at him, it's not like it could get worse for him. He straightened his shoulders and sat up straight. It didn't make him seem any taller, but he'd be damned if he'd buckle under the weight of all the stares in front of someone like Sara. Or anybody.

"Do you--" Sean coughed, trying to make his voice gruffer with poor success, and used the pretense to shift over on the bench to make some space for Sara, not that he took up much. "Do you wanna sit, I mean, take a seat with us?"

Sara looked at all the faces and suddenly her eyes widened. Then she snapped back to Sean and Abel. "Ah no i don't...really do lunch. I just ... that game i didn't have any way to get in touch. About your game." She holds out her phone. Sean stares at it a second then takes it and adds his phone number hands the phone back. "Ok i'll see you guys around." Sara's gaze lingers for a second on Taleena Whitesong then she gives a wave and turns away from the table.

Alec had noticed that when Sara had come up to th table that Taleena had sort of stiffened and didn't look at the older girl and he couldn't fail to notice that the blond had seemed a lot more flustered than she had ever seemed in His sisters Patrol SUV.

At the Cheerleaders table Courtney, Kia , and the other girls wrap up their lunch and then as one head to the front of the auditorium to give a few quick cheers and remind everyone that to days pep rally will be announcing the Courts for next weeks big Homecoming game against rivals Cut Bank

Lilly put her tray up and watched as her friend Kia cheered along with the other girls then she noticed that  Sandy was standing by the door to the bandhall. He gestured with his head for her to join him and he pushed the doors open and went inside. Lilly hadn't taken more than a half dozen steps that way when she heard her name, looking back she saw Dan Simonton coming up quickly.

"Hey Lilly Got a minute?" He gave her a sheepish grin.

"Well actually I'm going to..." her voice trailed off as Dan kept talking and she realized just how nervous he was.

"I just... I just wanted to um ..if your weren't going to the dance next week, ahh Homecoming dance with anyone next week. Would would you go with me?"

Lilly smiled and winced slightly.

"Maybe? I mean, I'm flattered. I've never really went to Homecoming before" she said.

"Sandy asked to talk to me, and this is probably what it's about. I was heading there now and was trying to tell you that." she explained.

"If he is going to ask me, then he kinda asked first, so I would need to think about it a little. If I'm wrong about what he wants though, then I will definitely go to Homecoming with you. Is that cool?" Lilly reassured with a smile.

Abel smiled as he finished eating, he was always pretty ravenous when it came to food, and nodded.  He couldn't help but register what was going on with Lily and Dan, and it reminded him of something he still needed to do as well.  He looked to the others, and sighed.  "Hate to eat and run, but I just remembered something I need to go do.  I'll catch up with all of you later okay?" 

He did his best to avoid prying into his friends' minds, but it wasn't like he could turn the power off.  Right now he was using it to find Kia, who was still with the cheerleaders, following their routine.  The group was starting to break up and he smiled as he walked over towards them.  The smile was genuine, registering the shock and surprise by most of them at his approach, he seldom associated with the cheerleaders as a whole, as his own sports of choice never saw them come out.  He approached Kia and smiled warmly.  "Hey Kia, can I talk to you for a second?"

Well. That had been a thing. He was left blinking at the speed at which Sara beat her retreat from the table. She always seemed more composed in the Cruiser. Maybe she just didn't like big groups of strangers or something? Mentally shrugging, he puts it out of his mind for the moment. There's no point in getting worked up about it. She'd get used to them. More worrying was Taleena's reaction. He nudges her gently with his shoulder, murmuring as quietly as possible to maintain some level of privacy while still being heard. The relative volume of the rest of the room was helping in that regard.

"Hey. You ok? You look like you've run into Sara before."

He gave her a concerned look. That sort of reaction didn't usually bode good  news.

Taleena nods slightly and leans closer to Alec whispering "Yes, I have. She was... friends with my sister." Then she sits back up and looking around at the rest of the gang at the table with just her eyes she takes a sip from her juice.

Lilly

Dan's hopeful look sagged but just for a second then he smiled again hiding his disappointment. "Yeah sure, like i said if you were going with anyone else, I'd really like to take you."

Lilly smiled back gave a little wave then went to meet Sandy. When she enter Sandy was talking to a couple of Band Guys who played in the stage band and were seniors too. Sandy didn't keep her waiting, he said goodbye to his friends and joined her by the door.

"Hey I was beginning to wonder if you were going to come." When he smiled his handsome classic good looks really showed. "Homecoming is next week and I know this may seem a bit awkward us both being on the football team and all, But I'd like to take you to the dance after the game."

Lilly gave Sandy a frown.

"Duuude." she said in a said, dragging out the word in an almost hurt or whining tone.

Yes, She was friends with Sandy, and he had asked to talk to her after lunch, but Dan, who she knew, but was not as close to as Sandy, found the courage to actually ask her when he saw her, instead of trying to pull her aside in secret. Sandy had a good chance of being Homecoming King, but that stuff never really mattered to Lilly, but Dan's guts kind of impressed her.

"I totally would, but Dan just asked me to the dance.. like, in the hall." she said, gesturing over her shoulder with her thumb to the door behind her and the hallway beyond, "That's why it took a minute."

She sighed and brushed an errant lock of hair from her face.

"I'm sorry dude." she offered, trying to let him down easy.

Abel and Kia

7 hours ago, Abel Cross said:

He approached Kia and smiled warmly.  "Hey Kia, can I talk to you for a second?"

Kia, still psyched up and energetic from the routine, brightened on seeing Abel and waved at him from where she and the other cheerleaders were talking.

"Scuse me, guys...ABEL!" She somehow managed to disengage from the other girls in the same sentence she shouted greeting to Abel, while simultaneously running across towards him.

"Hey! What's up?"

Her mind, as always, was an open book. She wanted other people to know her, to like her, and her thoughts were practically shouted out. Most of the time they tracked her verbalizations pretty closely, and this was no exception.

Lilly

Sandy looked surprised and totally caught off guard. It was obvious he hadn't considered that Lilly would say no. "Oh." He said a little meekly. "Well, hey  Dan...ok lucky guy. I'm sure you'll have a good time and no hard feeling. I'm happy for you. I better get ready for class. See you at the pep rally."

In more of a rush than he intends he slips by and exits the bandhall, leaving Lilly standing alone.

Abel and Kia

"As happy and energetic as always I see."  he smiled warmly.  "Well I know you're still kinda new here, and I was wondering if you'd like to go with me to the Homecoming Dance next weekend."  He didn't really dance around the issue like others, getting straight to it.  "I figured you'd have more fun going with someone you know,  and I know I'll enjoy it more going with you than someone else."   He could feel the shock register pretty much from everyone nearby, Abel had turned down every offer of a romantic date from the girls brave enough to ask him, and to everyone's knowledge, he'd never asked anyone out.  Here he was, the most eligible bachelor asking out the school's new arrival.  Some thought it was being done on a dare but they were idiots.  It seemed everyone waited to hear her reply.   While initially he'd planned to pull her aside to ask her, her excited greeting already meant many were looking their way, so he just went with it.  It wasn't like he was ashamed to ask her.   Though if she said no, well that might get awkward for every reason but romantic interest..  He smiled inwardly  Ah well, the die is cast.. let's see if  it's a 1 or 20...

Abel and Kia

Kia broke into a wide grin and reached out to squeeze his forearm.

"That'd be awesome!" she enthused. "I was getting a little worried I was going to have to go alone to my last Homecoming!"

Her tone and the glimpses he got of her mind agreed that she was not actually particularly worried about that, but her happiness was genuine. Of any deeper emotion he get a sense that she was glad he knew her, and he was cute and a pretty nice guy, but mostly she was just happy to have a date for the dance.

Lilly

Lilly took in a breath to say something more as Sandy rushed out, but just sighed with a frown.

She honestly liked Sandy and they were good friends. She didn't like seeing him disappointed, much less knowing she was the cause of it, which only made her doubt her decision that much more. The real pickle was that no matter who she chose, somebody was going to be let down and she didn't like that.

Lilly took a step and then hesitated, thinking for just a moment and arriving at a possible solution before she finally pushed through the door and glanced down the hall, spotting Sandy moving rather quickly down it.

"Sandy. Wait up." she called as she half-jogged down the hall to catch him.

"Okay. So you sorta asked first, or at least wanted to get me alone to me ask." she explained. 

"Not sure why you didn't just do it in the cafeteria though." she teased with a smile, poking Sandy in his side.

"So, I told Dan 'maybe', since I thought you might be going to ask me, but wasn't sure. I mean, he actually did ask first, and I was going too, but... I didn't think you.. I dunno..." she said, her voice trailing off a bit.

"Anyways... How 'bout I go to Homecoming with you and I'll promise Dan that he can take me to the Winter Ball?" she offered with an endearing smile.

"And next time, you don't take so long to ask." she teased playfully, poking him in his side as she tried to lighten the mood.

Felix sighed as he twirls a pencil with his fingers as he was looking over some school work. <Why is everyone so buzz over a dance?> Felix ponder to himself. Felix understood the reasoning behind homecomings and their importance. They basically stating that the high school is another year older and still running. So in that aspect they are like birthdays, the 4th of July, or New Years Eve. Felix had no objectives to celebrations.

The dance on the other hand he did not like, or certain aspects. The dance was probably worse then the football game. At least with that there were plain a clear rules to it that made it fair. The politics behind a dance was something that could be brutal and heartbreaking at times.

As such he decided not to go to that event. Too much emotional investment over something that's trivial. He felt lucky that he had to work that night. It was more often then not the opposite for him and events when it came to work.

Surprised that Sara would even talk to him during lunch where more people could see, let alone ask for his number - which admittedly made sense, if she wanted to join his Game - Sean didn't notice the exchanged looks between Sara and Taleena. Nor did his notice Alec and Taleena whispering, his eyes surreptitiously following Sara as she left the cafeteria.

The small boy did notice that everyone seemed to setting up dates for Homecoming. He saw a boy or two who looked like they were asking Lilly and he couldn't miss Kia's squealed acceptance after Abel asked her. He belatedly realized he had seen Alec's and Taleena's heads together and figured one or the other had asked the other to Homecoming. He knew Laurelei was going, with a Junior or something, though he didn't remember who.

Like Felix, Sean didn't usually care for Dances and similar social events. He told himself they were stupid, they he'd rather be playing video games, or coding a piece of software, or working on his Game, or really anything else. But the truth was, though he looked like a child, was barely any larger than one, he had all the raging hormones of any teenaged boy. He just didn't think believe any girl, especially any girl he was interested in, would ever agree to go with him to a Dance or on a date.

It wasn't the rejection he feared. It would hurt, he was sure, but he thought he could deal with it. But if they laughed at him, for even daring to ask? Scoffed condescendingly, or looked at him with pity? He couldn't blame them, not really. People went to dances to be seen, and seen who they were with. Which girl would want to go to a dance with a guy who was smaller and more delicate looking than they were, who could be mistaken for a girl himself if he wore a dress?

Sean had told himself he didn't care, had even believed it after a fashion. But now.... he knew a girl who didn't seem to care what anyone said or thought of her. And she had just spoken to him where anyone could see and he had given her his number. People would talk, he had already heard the jokes and insults, but they would do that anyway. And regardless of people already said of him, he would let himself be labeled a coward.

Sean quickly downed the rest of his can of Pepsi, packed his things, and was shrugging his book-bag over his shoulders even as he left his seat and practically scampered the way Sara had gone, waving at his friends over his shoulder. "I'll... I'll catch you guys la - at the game, in class - I mean, after."

Sean dodged and weaved his way through a sea of backs and seated faces he was eye level with until he made it to the door he'd seen Sara leave through. It was one of the heavier external doors and he had to heave against the push bar to get it open, thanks to his slight weight and the wind that had a tendency to blow against it. Outside, he looked one way, then the other, looking for a head of dirty blond hair over the collar of a biker's jacket.

Lilly

Sandy stopped when he heard Lilly call after him. Asking her out had been sort of a whim but her turning him down had hit kind of hard, so yeah he was surprised when she rushed out of the bandhall after him.

5 hours ago, Lilly Ann Pryor said:

"Sandy. Wait up." she called as she half-jogged down the hall to catch him.

"Okay. So you sorta asked first, or at least wanted to get me alone to me ask." she explained. 

"Not sure why you didn't just do it in the cafeteria though." she teased with a smile, poking Sandy in his side.

"So, I told Dan 'maybe', since I thought you might be going to ask me, but wasn't sure. I mean, he actually did ask first, and I was going too, but... I didn't think you.. I dunno..." she said, her voice trailing off a bit.

"Anyways... How 'bout I go to Homecoming with you and I'll promise Dan that he can take me to the Winter Ball?" she offered with an endearing smile.

"And next time, you don't take so long to ask." she teased playfully, poking him in his side as she tried to lighten the mood.

He was a bit stunned not that she had changed her mind but on how elated he suddenly felt. He couldn't help but smile that All American smile and his eyes lit up.

"Yeah That would be great Lilly yeah I really do want to go with you. I was just going into the bandhall so we didn't have to shout over the cheerleading,I wasn't trying to hide anything not really. I mean I know you don't date much and well I didn't want to put you on the spot and embarrass you or anything. I'm sorry if i did it wrong. I'm not that used to asking someone I like out much either."

His face reddened at that point but he was saved by the bell. "I'll see you at the pep rally Lilly and thanks."

"

Sean

Sean looked right and left and thought he saw her heading into the west hall north where his locker was. Of course, he thought, she going to smoke.

Just then his phone vibrated he pulled it out and looked at the text and saw a brief message JUST THOUGHT YOU MIGHT WANT MINE. It was from her.

• Nina locked this topic

Archived