Aberrant: Weirder Stuff - Chapter I Homecoming

WS ST

Lilly smiles and placed her hand in Sandy's, letting him lead her to the dance floor. It was still a new feeling for Lilly though. The only guy that had held her hand was her father when she was very little. She had never even been on an actual date for that matter. Sure she would hang out with friends, some of them boys, and occasionally it might just be her and a boy, but they were always just friends hanging out, nothing more. She still more or less looked at Sandy that way as well, though it had begun to gradually change over the last week or so, and side from the minor, off and on headache, it had been a rather good week. She had never been the focus of a boy's attention like she was with Sandy, or at least not knowingly, but it was flattering.

She tugged at her dress here an there, adjusting it and her corsage before she began to dance with Sandy, pushing any possible discomfort, physical, social or otherwise, out of her mind. She had just led the Rangers to victory in their Homecoming game over the only other (previously) undefeated team in their division, helped Alex set a record for receiving yards, was on a date with a nice boy, and was beginning to accept how good she looked in her dress and heels.

"And you know, if it is legit, and he's not using her or anything, then good for her. Seriously. I have no beef with her." Lilly said to Sandy with a shrug and a smile, blowing off the whole thing.

She danced with Sandy, flashing him and her friends smiles here and there as she just relaxed and enjoyed herself.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite her being one of his principal female torments and being at Homecoming with Sara, Sean couldn't help giving Courtney a second glance as she entered with her date and he saw Laurelei go over to make obeisance to the Head Cheerleader. Then he made sure the Irregulars grabbed as far away as possible from where Courtney was holding court, so he wouldn't be contrasted as drastically with her college-aged date.

Seeing Sandy come back with punch for Lilly, Sean realized he should do the same for Sara. He got up and grinned at his date. His date. "I'll be right back."

But as he headed over to the refreshment table, his grin grew tight as he overheard the whispers. Though most seemed surprised at seeing Sara in a dress, a few even mentioned they hadn't realized she was that good looking, the majority still didn't believe they were at Homecoming as an actual couple, that they were just bearding for the other. It didn't do anything for his hard fought confidence that Courtney and the Argonaut Goalie looked so good on the dance floor.

To Hell with this! He was having a great time. He wasn't going to let what others thought of him, of them, affect how he thought of himself. Sure, he was from a tiny town in Montana, but he was smart. Still in high school, small in body but big in brain, he even made commissions during freelance programming that paid way better than minimum wage. He was going to go places some day, and that included having a girlfriend, and who knows, more if he decided he wanted it and found someone.

Why couldn't it start here, now, and with Sara? The future would be waiting for him when he got there. But it started with the present, and right now, only the present mattered.

Sean came back to their table and gave Sara a cup of punch. He was sitting on the edge of his seat in impatient anxiety, taking a big gulp of his own cup of punch. He barely gave Sara a chance to take a sip of her own before he bounced to his feet and held out a hand to Sara and nodded towards Lilly and Sandy.

"What do say about us joining them on the dance floor, Sara?" Sean asked, an intense light in his turquoise eyes, lips quirking. "Don't worry, I totally know how to dance. I saw it on YouTube, and my sister gave me some pointers. We don't want to waste those thirty minutes of effort do we?"

Felix wonder if he was getting anywhere. To be more accurate he felt like he was on the sidelines of some game and not getting any time or attention. Felix looks did not help him any either. Felix looked more akin to someone going to a funeral then to a party. He had on a simple black tuxedo with dress shoes.

Yet in the end Felix did not care at the moment. He was more concern for his friends whom seem to be having fun. He was watching them as he was laying next to a wall. So far the music he heard was more akin to dancing with a couple music then singles.

Felix tried to talk with other people, but they seem more interested in other things then spending time with him. Felix wanted to dance, but felt a bit silly going out on his own. Watching other people do so kinda of bored him. Yet that was all he could do for now. Watch and listen.

They were all out there dancing, his friends, part of him wanted to join them, part of him wanted to just leave.

Felix wanted to be happy , but so many things just seemed to get in the way of happy. The more he thought about it, the only time he was truly happy was when he was drawing. Thinking of drawing made him think of his most recent art subjects and the terrible monsters he had been putting on paper.

He took his cup of punch from the table and drained it in one lone gulp, then with another longing look at his friends on the dance floor bopping and swaying, having fun, he turned to go get another punch and almost knocked over someone standing behind him.

The girl had been watching Felix for some time now. That he was the fifth wheel, the outsider among is group of friends. To her it was like they kept him around only out of pity. He was awkward, introverted, and very talented, she had seen his art and approved of his style. 

She smiled at him when he almost ran into her turning around, she held out the cup of punch she had brought, "Hi I'm Daisy."

Spoiler

image7719812.jpg Daisy

Felix instinctively took the offered cup, "Thanks, umm, Felix, I'm Felix."

She giggled and it sound like wind chimes to Felix, he smiled back at her. She was beautiful.

"I know, We have art together, Mrs. Durling fifth period."

Felix looked doubtful, she was pretty but he didn't remember her from that class, "I think I would have remembered you."

She giggled again, "I just started last week. We moved up here from Texas, my dad works for Starline rigging. I just kinda slipped into class. And hey,"  she steps back and makes a sweeping gesture up and down her body with both hands, "nothing here to really draw notice. Not like your friends anyway."

Before the Game

Alec took a deep breath, leaning his head back against the cool tile and closing his eyes, trying to keep his heart rate down. Around him the rest of the team were finishing their prep for the game. This was going to be a big game, certainly his biggest so far, and he would be lying if he didn't feel at least some of that pressure. The slight headache that had returned was doing him no favours either. Still possible to work around it, but he could feel it pulsing along with his heart rate. Hopefully this one would subside like the previous ones after a while. He heard a rustle of fabric beside him and opened one eye to glance over, seeing Sandy occupying the bench beside him. He quite liked Sandy, even if he wasn't a regular Irregular. He offered him a small smile, letting his eye close again. There was a moment of peace before Sandy began:

"You look tired. Everything all right?"

He was right as well, Alec hadn't been sleeping particularly well since the first of those dreams started cropping up, and even on the nights where they didn't show, there was weird crap showing up.

"Yeah. Nerves is all, I'll be fine once I get out. It's the waiting that kills me."  He offered another smile. "No need to worry about me."

Sandy offered a small nod of his own. And stood up, moving out as the rest of the team finally finished up. Alec heaves a sigh before standing himself, a brief wince as his head gave a particularly unpleasant throb.

"All right. Show time."

The Dance

Dashing the last of the distance to the front of the Auditorium, Alec stepped into place beside Taleena, offering her a beaming smile. He was still riding high from the ending of the game. That they had actually turned it around was astounding and he was still exhilarated afterwards, and the sight of Taleena was enough for his gut to do a weird half flip thing that defied his attempts to describe. She really did make it look good. Telling her so had her blushing prettily, and he offered his arm as they made their way into the Auditorium. Thankfully, the headache had subsided for the most part, so the music in the hall wasn't too bad.

He offers Sara a grin, standing closer to Taleena. Sara's embarassment was clear to all. He could understand it somewhat. He didn't think he had ever seen her in anything other than her regular getup. She looked distinctly uncomfortable in the new outfit, despite how well she wore it.

"You're not too bad yourself, Hutch. You're looking good as well."

He was a bit surprised to when Courtney arrived, nudging Taleena and nodding in her direction. They had been debating previously if Courtney's boyfriend actually existed or not. Alec had been of the opinion it was all an attempt to make Sandy feel jealous, but Taleena had thought that unlikely. He passed her a 10 dollar bill, grumbling good naturedly as she gave him a smug "I told you so" look.

Pictures dealt with, he offered a hand once more to Taleena, gesturing to the Dance floor with the other in clear invitation, taking his hand, they made their own way out into the sea of people to begin the festivities.

When asked if she wanted refreshment, Kia had declined, instead grinning that infectious grin as the other couples head to the dance floor and he nodded.  "Care to join them?"   A happy affirmative later, it was debatable who led who to the dance floor but once there they settled in to dancing with each other despite the distance.  If she brought courtney up he'd speak on it, otherwise, he really didn't give a damn.   His focus was on having a good time with Kia, and making sure she did the same.  Second after that was his friends, and far beyond that was everything else.

While not formally trained, Abel was very light on his feet, and knew abit about dancing.  Not enough to really impress, but at the least he wasn't embarrassing himself, or Kia.

Kia might not have been 'classically' trained in dancing, but she was a cheerleader, which meant she knew how to keep a beat, how to move to it, and how to keep her balance...which was 90% of it. The rest she just faked, and did so with enough infectious good humor that it made the whole exercise fun. Laughing and joking as much with her movements and body as with her face, the only thing she took seriously was having a great time.

She did notice Courtney coming in, but spared them barely a glance and even less of a thought. Even the headaches she'd been having on and off the past day or two didn't matter tonight.

Felix did not know how to take the new person in. Was she up to something or just be genuine nice. The way she pointed at her friends seem rather suspicious. Was she trying to insult or praise his friends. He did not really know for certain. Yet Felix did not want to look rude to the young lady so he responds.

“Yeah, they're good people. Even if others put them down, which is quite mess up. Sure they have their own quirks, but they're good people at heart. They even try to help me find a person to come dance here. I kindly decline. I wasn't really into the whole dance partner thing.” Felix said politely.

"I wouldn't mind dancing, but I feel like a idiot if I did it. After all this is more focus on couples then singles. It depends on my moods. I often work on Art, or just read when I can. Either that or go exploring in the woods and just sight see. Yet I do like hanging out with my friends when I can. What about you?" Felix replied.. 

Felix felt odd. The smell was something different, yet familiar. He was surprised at the combination of rose and licorice. It gave a sweet smell to him. Was it some sort of perfume, or lotion. Felix did not want to ask. He did not want to sound like some sort of pervert.

Daisy grins at Felix, then looks out at the dance floor. The music is shifting from fast pop to a more romantic slow tempo.

"Your very cute Felix, and silly, come on you don't have to dance alone."

She grabs Felix's hand and pulls him wide eyed onto the dance floor.

The couples have been dancing for several fast songs, showing they're moves and having fun. Then the tempo changes, slows as the DJ ques up a popular love song from the current charts.

Suddenly there is a wave of nervousness that passes through all of the guys a sense of panic as to what  they should do. Should we slow dance? Do the girls want to slow dance? Maybe we should take a break?

Then the gang of irregulars who had sort of gravitated to the same portion of the dance floor see Felix being led out onto the dance floor by a girl they don't recognize.

He looks nervous as she steps close and puts her arms around his neck and starts dancing with him to the slow sexy tune.

Spoiler

ok guys it's in your ball park now

Felix ponder on how he got into this. This women he did not know just decided to dance with him. He felt nervous, uncertain of himself. He felt like people were watching him more so then ever. He tries to dance in tune with her, uncertain if he was doing things right. He just hope he did not make a fool of himself.

Abel didn't even miss a beat, smiling at Kia, his touch was light, and she could hardly feel his hands shift to the more traditional placement for slow-dancing.   It was a nice break from the faster songs, and he had eyes only for her after seeing Felix join them on the dance floor.  Finally everyone was having a good time it seemed.  

Sean thought he'd been doing okay dancing, not being too self-conscious or worrying about what others thought, but the idea of slow dancing with Sara was making him a bit nervous. While it was true he and Sara weren't the only couple where the boy was shorter, the only other exception was where the girl was a mere inch taller than her date, and that was thanks to four-inch heels. During a slow dance, Sean felt they would make a particularly ludicrous couple.

But then he saw Felix being dragged onto the dance floor with some girl and Sean grinned, glad for his friend who too often was introverted and reticent. He didn't recognize the girl - which was odd in itself - but privately thanked her if she was helping Felix feel engaged. With the rest of the Irregulars at Homecoming in couples, Sean thought he couldn't help but feel left out, likely not without reason. Wanting to give Felix some extra support - and not thinking what they would look like - Sean led Sara back into the dance, maneuvering them into proximity to Felix and his dance partner.

Sara's arms around Sean's neck, his hands on her hips, like most of the other couples - except Courtney and the Argonaut, who held their hands more like professional ballroom dancers - they danced, slow and close together. Sean was stiff at first, almost rigid, but with each step, he relaxed, grew more graceful, if not actually any more skilled, his confidence renewing itself. His hands grew more bold, reaching further around her hips.

He looked up at Sara, the only boy who had to to meet his date's eyes. He considered saying something, but didn't know what. He wasn't even sure what he was feeling, other than enjoying this, being with someone, as something more - no, other, than a friend. He could see why many of his peers exhausted and embarrassed themselves chasing the opposite sex.

Still, at moments, he couldn't help but wish he was taller, that Sara was the one looking up at him, like most of the girls had to do with their partners, that she could rest her head against his shoulder or chest. He caught Sara's eyes occasionally flicking over his shoulder or head and felt a pang of guilt when he wondered if her eyes lingered longer on the be-suited boys or the be-dressed girls. It doesn't matter, he told himself firmly, tonight, Sara's with me, and that is enough... I wonder what she'd say about the pics of me from last Halloween, I know Laurie still has them somewhere...

On 12/26/2016 at 4:09 PM, Abel Cross said:

Abel didn't even miss a beat, smiling at Kia, his touch was light, and she could hardly feel his hands shift to the more traditional placement for slow-dancing.   It was a nice break from the faster songs, and he had eyes only for her after seeing Felix join them on the dance floor.  Finally everyone was having a good time it seemed. 

Kia, always a huggy touchy-feely type, settled against Abel nearly right away. Her head came far enough up that her ear was just a little higher than his heart when she rested it on his chest. After a few minutes though she'd had enough of her fill that she assumed a more traditional close dancing position so they could see one another's faces. Her eyes were aglow in the mood lighting, her wide smile and slight blush outshining the overheads. It was easy for her to forget there were other people there at all in the moment.

Alec almost froze with the change in tempo, he had thought he would have a bit more time to psych himself up to it, knowing that it would be coming eventually. He lets out a breath before stepping closer, hands on Taleena's waist as they began to move to the new beat. She was smiling up at him and suddenly he was feeling a bit light headed, the smell of her perfume surrounding him. Giving himself a mental shake to refocus, he realises she had been saying something while he had zoned out and he had to wince. She at least seemed amused by it and he had a brief second to wonder if she could hear his heart beating like he could. Felt like it was doing it's best to bore it's way out of his chest.

"I said, I'm surprised. I didn't expect you to know how to dance."

He appreciated the distraction for what it was, giving him a moment centre himself and calm down, focusing on the almost murmured words. He smiles back at her, a brief huff of laughter escaping.

"I have Anabelle to thank for it, actually. She took dance lessons for a long time, and I was her practice partner for a lot of it. I eventually picked up on a some of it, if just to avoid having my toes trod on anymore. I'm sure they will recover fully eventually."

She giggled and he cast his mental apologies to his sister. Never mind that he had been a full and willing participant. He didn't think he'd be able to take the teasing that would follow that particular revelation. 

Lilly had not even considered that there could be slow dancing, so when the tempo changed, she had to make a decision. She had known Sandy for roughly two years now, and though he initially was threatened by her, he eventually got past it and they became friends. He was a nice guy, if a little unsure at times, and she did enjoy his company, but she had never really thought about him romantically. Before this night, they had never kissed and barely even held hands. This was a date, and they were not yet a couple. Sandy had hinted at such a desire, but had yet to really ask her, and that kind of annoyed Lilly. It was not so much that she wanted him to ask her, it was more that she wanted to know, one way or the other. After all, her lifelong example of a man was her father, and he had not risen to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force and command of security of the entire Bulwark Base by being indecisive. 

Lilly mentally sighed and pushed it down though. She accepted that this was the first time in years that Sandy actually had to 'woo' a girl, as her mom would say. And besides, being in a several year relationship with Courtney would drain anybody. Lilly and Sandy were still getting to know each other in that way, and she wanted to give him a fair chance. This was very unfamiliar territory for her, but she did her best not to show it. 

Lilly smiled softly, a bit shyly really, and stepped closer to Sandy, wresting her wrists on his shoulders, allowing his hands to rest on her hips, simply relaxing and enjoying the closeness. 

The butterflies were back.

Dancing with Sean was fun, Sara enjoyed dancing though since Samantha had left she rarely had any chance to indulge herself.

Before Samantha took off to get away from the reservation life Sara had spent almost all of her free time out there. The older indian girl was the first person Sara had ever fallen in love with the first person she had kissed, the first she had had sex with. For two whole years Sam had been all Sara could count on. They had spent nights out on the Rez, dancing by the bon fires, drinking cheap beer, smoking the fantastic weed that Nighthawk cultivated, making love under the moon.

Then Sam turned eighteen and left. Sara had been sixteen and it was almost as devastating as her mother walking out on her and her dad when she was just a little girl.

Sam did at least say good bye.

Tonight was the first time Sara had danced since then. She still went to the Rez, but now it was just business and if Sara did party all she did was drink and smoke no more dancing and no more love.

So, Sara thought to her self as the tempo slowed and Sean, after a moments hesitation stepped up and took her back onto the dance floor, what is this? Am I falling in love? With a boy?

The more Sara thought about it the less it bothered her. She liked the feel of his hands on her hips, the way they're bodies brushed against each other as they tried to keep the schools six inch rule, the look of his full lips parted slightly in a lazy smile. Sara blushed (god what is with all this blushing not cool) as she though about the other night when they were supposed to be working on her new character and ended up working on other things instead.

Sara looked up at her new friends dancing all around them each pair a little set of planet and moon orbiting Sean and Sara, then her eyes drifted out to encompass the whole floor and the rest of her schoolmates.

Most of them were completely engrossed in they're own little world as they should be. But not all.

Sara saw that Chet and his ever present goon squad were standing near the table with the punch. He and his date, Ally Bando, hadn't danced hardly at all, which was understandable. Sara was pretty sure that Ally was queer, but so deep in the closet that you would need a mag light and caving gear to find her, still Sara had caught her more than once giving her that 'I really want you to fuck me look' during the gym class they shared. She briefly wondered about that, then Chet caught her looking at them, he sneered and put his arm around Ally who gave him a what the fuck look, before snuggling in to play the part. Chet's eyes focused from her to Sean and went from disdain and dislike to hatred and loathing.

Christ, Sara thought, what is his deal?

And he wasn't the only one, others were also paying more attention to her circle of friends than they ought to have been.

She spotted Courtney with her college boyfriend eyeballing Lilly and Sandy, a devious smile marring her otherwise pretty face.

Then there was Gina Keller, a regular customer of Sara's, who was dancing with that guy from the air force base who played the tom-toms in the school band's drum corps. She kept staring daggers at both Kia and Abel and Lilly and Sandy.

Bringing her attention she look down into Sean's beautiful eyes and smiled, he picked that moment to give her a twirl and she went with it. Unpracticed it was perfectly executed, Dancing With The Stars eat you're heart out.

As she twirled back into Sean's arms she saw Felix , who she kinda thought was a bit strange, even for what could be considered a rather eclectic group, dancing with a girl she didn't know. The girl looked at Sean and her and smiled as Sean spun them away in time with the music.

For some reason Sara shivered

Lilly and Sandy

They sway for a bit in silence just enjoying the moment. Sandy had a dreamy look on his face and a bit of a quirky half smile.

“You are so very special Lilly Pryor,” he said as he looked deep into Lilly's eyes.

“I talked to coach the other day and again during the second half. I told him that you should be the the starter, that the Rangers should be your team.”

Lilly had a confused look.

“No don't worry, you are better than I am and you want it more. You have that drive I don't have. Ever since you joined the team I have just been blown away by you. It not just your beauty, or your ability, it's your confidence that fact that you know what you want and you make it happen.”

he pulls her a little bit closer as the songs switch to an even more romantic love song.

“But what about your scholarship? If you aren't starting they may pull it.” She said.

“I don't care about that. I don't want to be a football player I never did. I just played because that's what was expected of me. Everything I do is what's expected of me. Except asking you out. Nobody expected that. But I really wanted too.

You know go after something I wanted for a change.”

Talena and Alec

At the mention of Anabelle, Talena's eyes grew wide and a smile spread across her face, “No way! She took dance lessons? She is such a hard ass.”

It was Alec's turn to show surprise, “You know Anabelle?”

Now Talena blushed as she moved a bit closer to Alec when the song changed.

“Not really know her, I just seen her a few times when she came out on Sheriff business.”

Alec notes the change in tone and quickly changes the subject.

“So where did you learn to dance?”

the smile returns to Talena's face.

“My sister. On the weekend she and her friends would hold bon fire parties and some of the boys would play music and they would dance and have fun all night. Sara used to go to those. She would play her guitar and sing sometime.”

“Sara? Sean's Sara? She's not Native American is she?”

Talena giggles a little as Alec spins her round. “Indian. Or Blackfeet. Not Native American that term is political, we don't like it.

But no she probably has some tribal blood in her, not enough to count her one of us. She was with my sister.”

Again Talena's brow darkened and Alec searched for another topic

"You might not want  to be a football player, but a scholarship can pay, or at least help pay, for your college so you can  do whatever it is you really want to do.

And let's face it, football is not going to be a career for me. No college is going to try and recruit me for football, and there is no chance I would ever be drafted even if one did. Me being the starter does nothing but give me a title, really, but it could take away a free ride at college for you. And I don't want to do that to you, or anybody, really." Lilly pointed out.

"Besides, you graduate this year, so I'll be starter next year." she reminded Sandy with a grin.

Sandy Smiled as he swayed and swirled to the new song. He wondered if this would be the last dance or if he had a real shot at something good with Lilly. He had to hope he could make her understand.

“I didn't do it for you, Lilly but for the team and for myself. You are better than me and the team needs you leading it. Coach understands that.

As for college and the scholarship, I'm going to apply to to the Ag College at Montana State. The football scholarship won't help me there since it's an accelerated program I won't have time for sports. But it doesn't mean I lose out on Student aid.

I live on a farm and I want to be a farmer. So many of the family ranches and farms have gone under or been absorbed by the conglomerates, it's a shame.

Our farm has been in our family since 1872, it was a hell of a lot bigger back then it's been whittled down over the years. I want to stop that shrinking. I want it to grow.

I want to make it grow.”

Lilly started to say something bu the music abruptly changed from dance to the School Fight song and The principle called for everyone's attention.

As is usually at Shelly's homecoming the student filled in around the dance floor pretty much by class, although there was no requirement. The irregulars straddled the zone between the juniors and seniors and no one paid attention to those in the gang who were neither.

Principle Bains a middle aged man who had been assistant principle for four years and was now principle began his speech and introduction of those alumni who were being celebrated this year. The announcements and speeches lasted about twenty minutes before he began the homecoming presentation.

It was at this time, as Bains began that Abel felt odd, something he had never felt before, a strange sensation of pressure inside his head. It wasn't painfully just distracting, almost like that feeling you get when you think your going to sneeze, you want to sneeze but you can't.

Abel looked around the thoughts in his head were drifting in and out he was good at keeping things sorted, compartmentalized but right now it was all just pouring in and it was chaotic and then it all just stopped. He was looking at the girl Felix was with, she was holding his hand like they were a couple, but Felix wasn't even aware he was holding her hand. Abel knew that because he could still read their minds but they were all separated, quiet, like a huge ocean wave that slams into a giant coastal rock and he was in the crook of the rock as the wave slammed to the sides.

The girl was the rock.

Principle Baines was finishing the reading of those who had been in competition for King and Queen and he was opening the sealed envelope which contained the names.

“And this years Homecoming King by a very wide margin is...Sandy Caldwell!”

Sandy stiffens beside Lilly gave her a look that was almost apologetic. Lilly, who was clapping with everyone else saw the look and reached over squeezed his arm and smiling at him, urged him on. He smiled back hoping they could continue their talk later and headed across the open floor to the stage. Everyone was clapping.

Lilly watched him go suddenly feeling proud that her date was being honored then she saw Courtney across the floor. She wasn't watching Sandy, rather she was looking across the floor at her a smile plastered on her face that was anything but friendly it looked malicious.

Abel pushed his mind at the gril, but he couldn't read anything. Nothing. Not even a sense of her it was like she wasn't there at all.

“And this years Home coming queen...”

The girl looked straight at Abel, and smiled, then looked at the principle, her smile growing wider and more shark like.

“...,” principle Bains seemed to hesitate, “and the Homecoming queen is...”

the Principle pauses and looks around quickly and at the card in his hand. Some of the other faculty look at him some with concern in the faces.

“And this years Queen is...,” Bainse shakes his head, “ is Lilly Pryor!”

There is a moment of stunned silence since everyone expected the winner to be Courtney and so did she apparently.

“What the Fuck!”

Courtney's scream was drowned out by the applause for Lilly, who stood stunned as Talena and Kia both nudged her forward.

Kia shrieked in excitement and shouted, "You go, Lilly!" 

She gave her friend a playful nudge when Lilly hesitated!

And the look she very quickly shot at Courtney behind Lilly's back was definitely a little smug. Kia was surprised at the decision...Courtney still had a lot of friends...but Lilly had saved the game, and Courtney had been burning bridges lately so she had no one to blame but herself.

It was nice to think there was a little karma in the universe, even if it was ultimately for something pretty silly.

The odd pressure was something new, and the fact that his mental partitions collapsed, well that had never happened before either.  Firing on all cylinders again, his mind rapidly started to assimilate all the input, and he couldn't keep his smile on his face.   When he actually turned to look back to this miystery girl and focus his powers on her, she wasn't even there, physically.  With all the thoughts coming in, two found their way to the forefront, based wholly on the emotional charge they carried.   They were the same memory, just charged differently.   Courtney was sucking off Principal Baines, in  graphic detail, which was a mental image he could have lived without.   Baines' recollection was tinged with guilt and shame, and even fear, while the version of the memory coming from Courtney was pure murderous rage.

Disappearing mystery girls, who didn't even register thoughts, and now a highly illegal career-ending mistake that was about to erupt in front of everyone.   He didn't really care about what the two of them did, and at the very least, the Principal had read the right result, not the one he was "paid" for.  He was far more concerned with the mystery girl, but he really didn't want to alarm the others.   He'd let them know after this, he resolved quietly.  He wasn't going to Ruin the moment for Lily and Sandy, Courtney was well on the way to that on her own.

He began clapping with the others and nodded to the king and queen.  "Congratulations.   Don't mind everyone else, just go one and enjoy this. "

Standing in the midst of the Juniors and the Seniors, with most of the girls in heels, Sean would have normally feel every inch of his lack of height. But he was having a great time with Sara and she seemed to be having fun with him. He barely a thought to the mild headache he felt. With the acute awareness of the bullied, he caugh Chet's glare of loathing and hate, but rather than making him nervous about what he was planning, Sean found himself reveling in it. He hoped Chet's disgust and annoyance gave him an aneurysm.

So when Courtney erupted in enraged curses at Lilly being proclaimed Homecoming Queen, Sean couldn't help but laugh out loud as he clapped along with the rest of the Irregulars at their friend's win. Sean's high, sweet, unrestrained laughter cut through all the clapping and the looks on Courtney's and Chet's and their assorted hanger-ons just made him laugh harder.

It didn't matter what others thought of them. Even if afterwards it all came tumbling down, if some of them ending up paying for it later, Homecoming was turning out to be great boon to his circle of eccentric friends and he was glad they had all come. No matter what others thought, they wouldn't let their hate and condescension determine where they could go or find fun.

Lilly stood there for a moment and blinked, totally stunned. In her mind it was a forgone conclusion that Sandy would be King and Courtney would be Queen. She had not even considered any other options ,aside from Kia as Queen. Kia was bubbly and every liked her, so she thought she Kia could give Courtney a run for her money, but even though Lilly had been nominated, the thought of actually winning had never even crossed her mind.

Kia's nudge brought Lilly back to the present and she blinks again, turning to look at Kia, still somewhat wide eyes as the reality of the situation set in. She slowly began to smile and tug and straightened her dress, looking over her shoulder to her friends with what was clearly still a surprised smile and began walking to the stage. Sandy moved to her and took Lilly's hand, helping her up the steps in her heels. Once safely atop the stage Sandy kept a hold of her hand, interlacing his fingers with her own and guided her to the spotlight where they stood near Principal Bains.

Lilly smiled and waved, still somewhat in shock that was gradually subsiding.

Felix felt relief that things went well for this homecoming. It seems like the status quo seem shaken. Something that made him smile. He felt great that one of his friends got crown. More so then this stranger that he just meet that was dancing with him earlier. He goes to congratulates the king and queen on their success. He wonders what else will happen tonight.

Sean's outburst of laughter somehow defied sonic physics and cut through the clapping and cheering for Lilly like the proverbial hot knife through butter. Courtney heard the high pitched sound and her head snapped round from where she was glaring at Principle Bains to stare in outrage at the source. But Sean only had to endure that seconds once The bitter furious cheerleader spotted Lilly separating from the gang to head up to join Sandy on the Stage.

Courtney launched her self after Lilly but was caught by her date and held back forcefully as he pulled her back into the crowd.

Meanwhile up on stage, Principle Bains had collected himself and quickly secreted the card bearing the winners name in his pocket.

Once the two winners had taken their places he quickly went about the crowning process. Sandy was beaming at Lilly who was pretty happier herself the school seemed genuinely pleased and everything was going so very well. It had been a fantastic night.

Abel,who had been visually searching the auditorium had seen Courtney and her boyfriend who had stopped her from making a scene. He watched them as the boy led, or rather dragged, thru the crowd and out of the dance.

On the dance floor, the lights dimmed and Lilly and Sandy took their place for the traditional dance of the King and Queen. The song play and the two attractive kids danced for a minute or so then were joined by the rest of the dancers for a few more songs.

Within twenty minutes or so a large portion of the seniors began making their way off the dance floor and out of the school it was about 10:20. The Irregulars basking in the glow of a most successful evening did so as well.

The gamer friends met at Sean's house where they changed into regular clothes and headed to the lake and the after party.

It was 11:30 Mountain Time

INTERLUDE

Houston Texas

NASA'S JOHNSON SPACE CENTER

AUXILIARY MISSION CONTROL 417

12:35 CENTRAL TIME

Pete Driscol was bored.

He had been at the monitor since 8:30 and had 4 more hours to go and he had finished all of his other work. He hated this stupid shift work.It's not like anything ever happened with these things but with the budget cut backs the air force had had to pull their 24 hour staff out and so now a NASA tech had to fill in.

He turned the page on the novel he was reading. You would think a science nerd would be reading a sci fi novel or some interesting science book but no Pete read westerns. He had gotten a taste for the old fashioned stories from his grand father and was currently making his way through Louis L'Amour's Sackett saga for the third time.

So engrossed he failed to see the blinking lost signal warning, flashing on his monitor.

ALOE LAKE MONTANA

11:45 MOUNTAIN TIME

The drive from Sean's house to the Campsite on the lake only took about ten minutes. For many of the irregulars this would be their first real high school party and they were each looking forward to the party and some of them for the more intimate activities they hoped for.

When they pulled up to the scattering of old scout cabins the party was already in full swing. It had been a warm October this year and many of the kids had dressed in shorts and light t-shirts. Down by the lake a large bon fire had been built and there were two large plastic garbage cans filled with ice each holding a keg of beer. There were several ice chests which also held an assortment of wine coolers and sodas. On the back of a pickup truck parked insanely close to the bon fire someone had set up a barbecue and burgers and hot dogs were being grilled. Music was playing from two or three cars each with that music genres fans gathered round laughing and drinking. Across the lake the lights of the Airbase could be seen, a hazy glow in the distance.

The gamer friends piled out of their cars and took it all in. In some ways it was a bit overwhelming. Many of them had never felt particularly sociable with the rest of the scholl. In their own way each of them was somehow apart from the rest of the kids in the school and this mingling was new.

Not knowing really what to expect both Alec and Sara had brought their guitars and both were relieved when they saw that a couple of other kids had as well.

They had parked near the rest but still separated enough to make their own little gathering. They noticed other groups had done the same, the football players and the cheerleaders made up one such group.

Off a little ways apart they could see Courtney and her date and a few of Courtney's closest bitch friends.

At the bonfire, serving up the beer was Chet, while everybody who had been able had given some money to the party fund it was Chet who had secured the kegs, and he was making sure that everyone knew it.

At another car they could see Gina and Dan and several of the other band members were gathered all with drinks in hand.

Sara looked around at all the little cliques and then at the kegs by the bonfire.

Well shit guys, lets get some drinks!.”

Spoiler

Feel free to make a party post or two..also if you have not completed your enhanced sheets and posted them please do so :)

Felix looks around the place. It was something that was  for sure. Felix had went home and got into something more comfortable. He had put on a tie dye shirt that he himself made at an art convention he went to once. He also had on a pair of blue jeans, and a pair of boots which which barely hide his shocks.

The party seem festive and lively. Felix saw several faces among the party goers. Some he liked to see and others he did not want to see there. It took one of the others to alter Felix that they were also there. As such Felix went to see them and hang out with the rest of the group.

Still somewhat concerned regarding the events of the night already, he set his mind to the matter at hand.  "Okay, Gonna say this because tonight has already been abit wild.  Nobody goes off alone.   Don't take drinks you didn't get yourself, and if you lose sight of your drink, get another.   Yeah it sounds cruddy, but trust me, it's for the best."  He offered them all a smile.  "Okay, now that I've got the PSA out of the way let's have some fun."

he shrugged lightly and smiled, allowing her to lead him away.  "It might be right now, but it's getting colder.   We can check it out though."   He admitted inwardly that if she went in, so would he, and damn the consequences.  "I am relaxed,  I'm just used to being the responsible one.  Besides, Lily Can take care of herself, and Sean's got Sara with him.   Alec and Taleena are young, but smart enough to heed common sense."  

She glanced back at him, grinning teasingly, "But I can't take care of myself and I'm not smart enough?" she asked with a lift of her eyebrow.

Kia'd chosen a loose fitting, colorful short sleeve T-shirt and a pair of cut-off jean shorts for the beach party, with flipflops. It was garb for a different climate, but she wasn't feeling cold just yet. That would, as Abel suggested, probably change. Especially if she really did take a dip...but this was what she thought of when thinking 'party beside large body of water.'

At Sean's place Lilly had changed into a pair of bluejeans on a "Gir" t-shirt (from Invader Zim) and traded the heels for tennis shoes. Despite her usual preference of tying her hair back or up, she kept it down and loose. Kia had spent some time helping her with it (and she got the impression that Sandy liked it a little more), but made sure she had some scrunchies in her pocket, just in case.

Lilly nodded to Sara.

"Sounds good. I'll be back in a few minutes. Gonna go say hi to the team. Didn't really get to see them after the game since I was in the girls locker room and had to change so fast for the dance." she explained as Sandy hopped to his feet.

"Yeah. We'll be back." he added as he walked over to join Lilly.

They gave a wave and walked over to the gathering of football players where they were both greeted, high fives and fist bumps for Sandy while Lilly gave fist bumps and hugs to her offensive line. Inevitably a football started getting tossed around and somebody threw it to Lilly and friendly, impromptu game of touch football started by the shore, about a half-dozen on each team, with Sandy joining in. 

As much as Lilly enjoyed playing and competition, it was times like this that she truly enjoyed, bonding with the team, getting to relax and goof around with them, having fun with no pressure. They played to the first score, which came quickly with a pass from Lilly. 

With the 'game' over (for now), Lilly and Sandy departed the group with waves and hugs, promising to be back later.

As they got a little ways away Lilly took Sandy's hand.

"You know my dad is watching, right?" she said which caused Sandy to blink.

"Huh?"

"Yeah. He's a Lt. Colonel and head of security for the base, right over there across the lake. With these fires, they are totally watching." she explained.

"Well, uh."

Lilly smiled and laughed.

"Dude. I am just messin' with ya. He's the head of security. He wouldn't be watching us."

Sandy relaxed and grins.

"He'd just have one of lieutenants do it." she added, which caused Sandy to pause again.

"Dude! Chill. I'm just joshin'." she laughed and gave his hand a squeeze as they walked.

A minute later she was twisting the cap off of a bottle of IBC root beer while Sandy thought about what to get for himself.

"Get some beer if you want. I'm not gonna 'harsh your mellow, maaaan." she said in a mock surfer impersonation.

"But just so you know, I'm not kissing anybody who's breath and mouth smells and tastes like that." she added and took a swig from her bottle with a grin on the side of her face away from Sandy.

"Soda's good." Sandy replied, grabbing a can from the ice which made Lilly laugh and almost snort some root beer.

Sandy grinned and took her hand as the pair began to make their way back to the rest f their friends, stopping along the way to get a burger.

Alec laughs at Sara's enthusiasm before following her towards the drinks and food, guitar slung over one shoulder almost like some form of rifle and side by side with Taleena and chatting away, discussing a book that he was recommending. 

Getting the drinks was a bit of a strained affair, given they were all set up around Chet. The quick leer he gave Taleena was stopped almost immediately by the almost arctic glare Alec gave him. The two of them weren't particularly fond of each other, partially because of the older boys antagonism of Sean. That being said, there was a grudging respect from Chet thanks to Alec's performance on the team. Alec himself tried not to stir shit when he could avoid it, so they had settled into a slightly mutual neutrality.

The older did push a cup of beer into Alec's hands though, offering a quick "Good Work today" before returning to his idle boasting. Making their way back to the crowd, the plop down onto a log, settling his guitar down. He could see the other members of the football team beginning to toss the ball back and forth to one another and snorts.

"Can't leave a ball within spitting distance that they won't end up trying to play with."

The tone is almost affectionate, robbing the words of any sting they might have had.

"You can join them, you know?"

Taleena offered tentatively. Alec was already shaking his head halfway through her sentence, though he did favour her with a gentle smile.

"Nah. It's not what I came here for. Can play football any day of the year. I came here to so we could have fun together, so I'm fine right where I am."

Dressed in a pair of baggy cargo pants and a loose shirt that mated the Triforce from the Legend of Zelda series with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon Cover, Sean felt a bit overwhelmed arriving at the after-party. It wasn't anything he had ever considered being part of, and while there could still be seen some tension between cliques, it didn't appear to get in the way of anyone's fun or relaxing. He wasn't sure how they did it, but having Sara next to him, their fingers laced, made it bearable.

"I'll get us some!" Sean offered instantly when Sara mentioned drinks, not wanting anyone to think he was second guessing coming. He rolled his eyes at Abel's PSA warning. "Yes, dad! Be right back!"

Sean scampered off to get some drinks, part of the reason being he didn't want to turn down a beer if Sara offered him one. He'd stolen one of his dad's once, just to try it and hadn't liked it all and didn't understand why anyone would drink it. If it was just to get drunk, surely there was a better way? Seeing Chet presiding over the Kegs was just another reason to avoid beer and Sean circled wide to take a look at the ice chests.

This was his first after-party, so he didn't want to stay safe and just get a pop or something. He tried to ignore the amused looks and comments of the other teens watching someone who looked as young as he did grab a pair of Smirnoff Ices of random flavors from the ice chest.

It was only on his way back did Sean pause to consider that while he didn't like beer maybe Sara didn't like what he got. Then he felt like an idiot standing there, considering going back to grab a selection of bottles so Sara could choose and just continued on back to Sara's side.

"I hope this is fine," Sean said, giving Sara her pick of the two. "I can go get you something else if you want."

Sara looked at the preppy drinks but choked back a giggle knowing it would embarrass Sean, she just reached out an dtook one at random, "This is fine Sean," she said twisting off the cap and slipping it in her pocket.

She took a sip then she lifted a hand to Sean's face and brushed the hair back from his eyes,she let her her fingertips slightly caress his cheek, before bringing her hand back.

"You know avoiding Chet isn't going to make him stop, it's just going to let him know that you fear him, that he gets to you."

"Yeah I know but I'm not scared of him," he spat out defensively, "I'm just kinda tired of getting my ass kicked."

He twisted the cap off his drink and took a swallow.

"Sean I'm on your side, remember. Or I wouldn't be here with you."

They locked eyes and just stood there for several seconds.

"Anyway, it's time you stopped getting your ass kicked and start kicking his or anyone else who picks on you."

"And just how the fu... how am i supposed to do that?"

Sara looks at him realizing that they are having an argument which kind of makes her feel warm.

"I don't Sean, have you ever read Ender's Game or seen the movie? You're smart, figure it out," she shakes her head but smiles at him at the same time.

INTERLUDE

EARLIER TONIGHT

SHELLY MONTANA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL STADIUM

AND THE MIZUKI HOME

Dr Mizuki looked over the heads of the crowd but not at the sports contest playing out on the field nor at his daughter and the other pretty girls doing they're cheering routine, but rather he was looking at a boy.

When they had arrived at the game his wife Iolani had pointed the boy out.

“There he is, that's the boy who is taking Kia to the dance later,” Iolani pointed to a tall good looking young man who was standing at the rail talking to his daughter, “I wish Kia had let us meet him first.But living on the base makes so many things difficult or inconvenient.”

Dr Mizuki barely heard his wife's complaint. “Yes, meeting this boy is a must,” Mizuki muttered then glanced at his wife, “if he is to be seeing our daughter.”

Iolani looked at her husband with a quizzical expression.

Dr. Mizuki watched the boy throughout the game and after while they tried to meet him the crowd was too full and they lost sight of them After seeing their daughter and wishing her well the Dr and his wife returned home.

“This was a good night husband. I am very happy you went to the game for our daughter and for me.”

Iolani wrapped her arms around her husbands neck and gave him a seductive look as she pressed close against him.

His phone buzzed.

Mizuki looked up from checking the text on his phone and smiled apologetically, “I have to go to the lab darling.”

Iolani let her arms drop to her side as she stepped back her smile gone.”What? Tonight? This is the first time we have been alone in weeks, and you are going to your lab?”

“Iolani, I have to we are having a crisis...”

Iolani cuts him off, “A crisis you could take time out for a football game but not to spend time with your wife?”

“Iolani, please. You know that this job is very important...”

“No, what I know is that this job you will not tell us anything about is taking you away. Away from your family, away from me,” She inturrupts again tears forming at the corners of her eyes.

Mizuki looked torn but then Iolani threw up her hands a look of disgust on her face. “Go deal with your imporatnt crisis,” she truned away from him showing him her back and cold shoulder.

“We will talk soon. I promise.”

INTERLUDE

NEVADA, GROOM LAKE AREA 51

PROJECT STEPPING STONE FACILITY

11:55PM

“Situation?”

Julian Goreman was getting used to having to get up in the middle of the night, but it wa still annoying as hell.

“NASA has lost telemetry from all three Stepping Stone drones, we don't have eyes on any of them ISS is still below the horizon and won't have LOS for another 68 minutes. NASA isn't reporting any problems with any other satellite and we are trying to get Looking Glass tasked but it hasn't been authorized yet,” said the young Air Force Lieutenant.

Julian gave her a cross look and she shrugged. “What about the portals?”

“Ours are reading normal and are all on standby, but Dr. Mizuki is on Secure Call waiting for you.”

“Mizuki? Wheres Lang?”

“His flight was delayed in Denver due to weather,” She hands him a set of printouts from the national weather service showing a double line of severe thunder storms moving down out of the Rockies.

“Son of a bitch. Alright get Mizuki of the screen.”

A moment later the main computer screen shifted from the normal DOE Symbol to that of a somewhat worried and harried looking Dr Mizuki

“What is your situation Dr. Mizuki?

It wasn't Mizuki who answered but rather the security chief for the Base. The tough looking Lt Col moved into the focus of the camera.

“Director I have locked down the facility and issued a class one internal alert, we need to know what going on over there.

At that point Mizuki looks up from what he is doing and address the camera.

“We have lost control of the portals, Director. I tried to shut them down to no avail and I have cut power but they are still active and they are doing the same thing they did when the dog came through.”

The screen splits showing three different rooms in the center of each is the now familiar frame work which contains the Stepping Stone Portals. But these three frames are not empty spaces where the usually invisible portals reside on the screen the frames are filled with slightly pulsing silver discs.

Sean glanced up to give Sara a disbelieving look. "Story about a small kid that takes out an alien menace while thinking he's only playing a simulator? Of course I read Ender's Game. The rest of the series too." That was vastly understating the series and skipping a lot of themes, but Sean knew what Sara meant. "It's just..."

Sean  trailed off and sat down on fallen tree trunk doing duty as a bench. Sara sat down beside him as he looked down at the bottle he was spinning in his hands. The drink was sweeter and more sugary than he had been expecting, not bad really. "It's just, I don't want to kill Chet, I just want to make him stop. And man, even if he didn't know it at the time, Ender killed a lot of people."

"There's ways to make him stop without going that far," Sara replied.

"I know, I know!" Sean said, getting a bit exasperated. "I should have kept up with my martial arts classes, but he's so much bigger than I am, I'd need to be a black belt to take him on." He ground his teeth then took a big sip of his drink. "It's not like I can cut off his weed supply to make him back off. It would be easier to cut the breaks on his car." Seeing the looked on Sara's face, he assured her, "I really wouldn't do that. Just dream about it sometimes."

Sean sighed, then straightened his shoulders and nodded. Now that he'd been hanging out with a girl, and not just as a friend and gaming buddy, he didn't want her to see him as weak, as defenseless. Maybe he would go back to taking Karate or something. "I'll figure something out."

"Oh my gosh it's cold!" Kia shrieked, laughing. She'd slipped out of her flipflops at the lake's edge and waded just a little into the sand and rocks in the shallows of the water.

She hunched over a little, her plastic cup still in her left hand. It'd had about half a can of beer in it which was now gone, but she didn't want to just throw it away at this beautiful lake. The water was chill around her feet up to her ankles, but it wasn't entirely unpleasant...just kind of a shock. Cold water wasn't something she'd had a lot of experience with, even after moving out here.

Cold or not though, this was her first chance to go swimming outside of nasty chemical-laden public pools in AGES, and she wasn't going to waste it. She'd come prepared, having known the party was at a lake, Before Abel could do or say much in response, she grabbed the hem of her T-shirt and hefted it off, tossing it over to drier ground. Her bikini top was, in the starlight, almost the same hue as her skin; making her look topless for a second, until the eyes adjusted and noted the differences in tone and the lack of certain...details that would otherwise have been there.

She held out a hand towards Abel and crooked a finger at him. "Coming in?"

• Nina locked this topic

Archived