OOC Thread for AWS Discussion

Nina

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is obvious that i have lost control and really don't know what i am doing anymore.

I am going to step away as stroyteller.

i will leave the games unlocked if anyone wishes to continue.

If not I am sorry for wasting everyone's time.

30 minutes ago, Nina said:

it is obvious that i have lost control and really don't know what i am doing anymore.

Incorrect.

You may have lost control of the original idea you had, sure, but not the game as a whole.  As far as not knowing what your doing?  Also incorrect.  You've been doing fine, but for some reason you fail to realize that you have a pool of experienced STs from which you can pull from if you find yourself stuck, or in a rut.  That's why we're here.  Am I an asshole?  Yes.  But I will never tell anyone here not to tell a story or take part in one.  In fact, I have one rule in my games I've always held to, and that was 'no one get's turned away', which means that I've allowed players into my games that I absolutely loathe, because the magic of storytelling is far important than my personal feelings from someone, it's a gift we should all have the opportunity to enjoy.

That's what you do.  You tell a story and by doing so you enrapture a small group of people's imaginations and hearts and weave for them a brand of magic that has never left this world.  To transport a person to a place where they are away from the banal existence of our reality is a gift to someone unlike anything that can be imagined.  It's more precious than money, more valuable than gold.  Along the way we're gonna fight, argue, bicker, bitch, complain, and the synonyms for being shitty go on... that's why the people here make me so mad, because that's what family does, they know how to push all the right buttons.  After 15 years, I know the people here better than I know my own family (and if you met my family, you'd understand why I spend so much time here).  What you do requires a certain talent and dedication that not a lot of people possess.  You may not believe that, but when you take a child in a wheelchair and ask him/her to close their eyes and imagine a world where they are a superhero or a warrior without peer, and see them, for just a moment, forget about the hand life has dealt them, then you get it.

Story Telling is a gift, it may sound cheesy, but it's true.  The game is not in the secrets or the stats.  Here, it's in the posts.  The story that is told with or without the combat, that's the game.  You can't mess that up.  Sure, you might slip up, or we as players will completely wreck a proposed plan, but that's not the end of the game.  You have us here to tap into if you're unsure or stuck.  You will have terrible ideas (we all have, trust me) that we will laugh at, acknowledge, and move on like they never happened (or hold against you forever, ask Jeremy about 'Stomp Em' In The Nuts').  You have to communicate with us though, Neeners.  If the story isn't going how you planned, then tell us that, or we just run the risk of doing it all over again... which will just frustrate you and us more.

We're grown, we're allowed to talk to each other.  Tell us what you want, and we can make it happen.  Sometimes a story needs to be railroaded to get it back on track, we get it, we'll work with you.  If you need to PM one of the more experienced STs and throw out a few things for us to help you with, please, do so.  Don't worry about blabbing a secret to one of us, we'll never tell.  There is a code among the STs and that is we do not metagame learned secrets or tattle those secrets once learned.  We're professional nerds here.

You're not the first, or the last, ST to step aside in the heat of being pissed off or frustrated (I've done it once or twice).  You have every right to be.  I'm not easy to get along with sometimes, I know, but I'll never lie to ya.  If a game gets to the point where we need to look under the hood, I'll say so.  Granted, I'll say it the most round about, completely dickish way imaginable, but it'll get said (feel free to tell me to 'fuck off' once in awhile).  I do not think for a moment that you are a bad ST, quite the contrary, you're really good at it.  If you feel you just can't do it anymore, then so be it.  If you do calm down and reconsider, then I implore you to make use of your player base more (that's why we're here).  It's not you against us, nobody wins that way.  We all have to work together to tell the story.  With any luck, this won't be the end of the Weirder Stuff.

Well said Dave.   We all know there have been issues, hell we've all been part of them.   We're all still here, still playing together though, and that says something too.   AWS is the largest game on the site and I'd hate to see it go.   I think that you've done a great job with it so far Nina, and I admit, this isn't how I'd want to see it end.  That said if you truly believe you cannot continue, or just plain don't want to do so, I can respect that too.  The game's been a hell of a ride, and for that much at the very least I'll say thanks.   

I appreciate the kind words, the understanding, and the encouragement, I do. But the last few weeks have shown me that I have a fundamental difference in how we all  look at what we do here most of you on one side and me on the other. The further along we have come the more it stands out. and I am not sure that it is reconcilable  in the current way we interact within the games.  It is no ones fault but my own.

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say and I would do things a lot different if i were starting today.

I don't know what I am going to do. More importantly I don't know How to do it in a way that makes it good and fun for all of you as well as myself. Expectations

There are two terms that in my mind define what we do here. StoryTeller and Game Master.

Everyone thinks these are just two different names for the same thing. I don't.

I like to think that I am a storyteller and that all of you are helping me tell the story i'm directing. I am not however a game master. And that i think is the problem.

I need some time to figure out what to do with my stuff because what i'm doing now isn't working

For what it's worth, I deeply appreciate your Storytelling and Game Mastering, and I apologize for not taking time to acknowledge that more often. It's a hard job you're doing, but it doesn't have to be thankless, and that's on me.

In a very real way, you helped save the site from fading out by stepping up when you did.

So I'm with you. If I can help in any way, just ask. I'll do whatever I can.

I don't think you should scrap everyone's fun over two people not getting along.  We resolved the issue and everything was fine.

If you don't wanna do this, that's fine, you do you, but I think punishing everyone because Noir and I can't along is a bit harsh.  However, that's on you and everyone else.  I wasn't in the game anymore so the declaration doesn't affect me.  All you're doing is punishing the others at this point.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After consulting with Nina, and in the interest of saving people research time, decided I'd post up a little consolidated table of the party's weapon's resources with associated RAW. Jeane'll just be grunting and banging away in the background handing out goodies until we set about opening the vault door. :)

2 jury-rigged axes (Str+4 L base dice in damage) (Jeane's keeping one of these)

4 jury-rigged clubs (Str+4 B base dice in damage)

Last-of-Us-ish shivs (Str+2 L base dice in damage, potentially concealable)

And, finally, the gun.

1 1911 Colt pistol (5 L base dice in damage, Range: 70 meters, Rate of Fire:3, Clip 7+1, total available ammo: 36 (6 were still in the clip))

Each survival case contains the following so you actually have double what I list here.

Jump suits – made of the same material as the body suits you are wearing (keen eyes will notice that these jump suites seem to be designed to wear over the body suits.) They zip up the front have pockets on chest and hips (front and back) there are verlcro patches above both chest pockets and on each shoulder. The Suits are a light blue (same color as NASA astronaut jump suits). There are two of each of the following sizes Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large

Boots - 4 pair of boots two that are medium sized and two that are large.... the boots have thick rubber soles and the fabric is the same as the jumpsuit. When tried on the boot with adjust it's size to the persons foot.

Concentrated rations – 60 packages that contain food for 24 hours. Basically they are bastard children of MREs and C-Rations.

Two Pack Frames for carrying every thing

A tool kit (the kind you might carry in your car)

Two water condensers and two 5 gallon plastic collapsible water containers.

1 .38 caliber revolver with 100 rounds

Two Military K-Bar knives

Pocket compass

Matches

Survival first aid kit with drugs

500 dollars in gold coins

2 collapsible shovels

2 canteens (plastic)

2 mess kits with silverware

there are possibly other survival type items in the cases I have over looked if you have a question if you have somethng I do not list ask me

Ok to make things clear I will try to expand my setting discriptions and hopeful this will cut down the need for people to wait for me to answer questions or risk post with out all the information they should have.

My apologies for any confusion or upset this has caused.

this will mean that my posts may take longer to write. when possible I will provide visual aids as well.

Again I also implore all of my players to read fully each and every post. You will be surprised at how much information people miss by not reading everyones posts.

Skimming is bad.

Again sorry for the confusion

• 3 months later...

NOTE FOR THOSE MAKING NEW CHARACTER IN ADDITION TO THEIR CONTINUING CHARACTERS

The new characters are not affiliated with the Irregulars on any level as such they may be from anywhere (within reason). they should be people who have unlocked either a short time before the Bear Incident or recently after the return of the Irregulars from the Quantum Crusade.

Remember new/additional characters are not required

if you have any questions please ask

Since you've opened the floor to questions... *cracks knuckles*

How long were the Irregulars gone? What about their families? What happened to Irregular Solutions, Inc, and it's beloved members? Is the colony a thing? What about Kyle? Is Rashoud as much of a monster as Pandora painted her? World situation in regards to keys in general? How much is different on an observable level between Pandora's Box and the world she modeled it after? 

Might help people to build new PCs if they had an overview of things outside of a reality crafted to drive the Irregulars mad far as I can guess. :D

You were gone a split second...when that split second occurred i have not settled on entirely yet but i am  leaning more toward the satellite launch point than earlier as I had sort of plotted before. Nothing has happene to the company yet. yes the colony still exists however your parents would have been brought back after the crisis unless they decided to become colonists. Kyle still exists and yes rashoud is still in the end pretty much a monster.

The rest will be addressed in my first posts but nothing in that really pertains to any new characters. there are not that many keys there are only a fraction of a percent of the worlds population which can potentially unlock and even then a lot of circumstances need to be met.

there are less than a hundred world wide thta have unlocked since the advent of the irregulars.

I am working on my initial post for the new chapter when i have time.

• 1 month later...

Shortly I will be launching a separate thread from the main aws thread  for Teases' current story line. The reason is because her story will take her away from the main group and will likely involve some minor time jumps on occasion which if the story line were to continue in the main thread would really become confusing.

I am looking at this as a Tease Comic and as such will be treating it as an offshoot of the main aws thread much like the the Avengers have a comic and so does Iron man or captain america and so on. Now while this new thread will be Teases story-line It is not exclusive to her. I as story teller may bring any of the other characters in or reference situations which would allow characters other than Tease to post, sort of a guest starring role if you will.

If successful and other character story-lines warrant it we may add some other "books" to our world if fact If any of you have any ideas for your own solo comic float them with me. I would like any stories we tell in the AWS Universe to be public and accessible to everyone and to get away from doing game segments in PMs.

If y'all have any questions about this or anything else let me know.

Thanks and I will be posting soon

• 1 month later...

Let me be clear AWS is now open world...

I haven't closed or cancelled the game but i am not going to force anyone to post in my plots or to post the way I feel they should post. I am not going to enforce rules and shit. Y'all are adults and you know what you want to do and how to do it.

I will  still post where I feel like posting and will even continue GMing to a degree but let me be clear

This is your game now. If you want to post with your characters post with them if you don't, don't but that choice is entirely up to you. If you want my advice on something ask me whether you use my advice is up to you. If you start a thread here it is your thread you can do whatever you want. I would ask that if you do make a new thread and call it aws at least try to follow the world we have created to this point. but if you don't i'm not gonna take away your birthday

The solo threads I have started for some characters I am willing to continue at least until the completion of the first issues... GDP this includes your character even though i had not posted it yet. After the 1st issues they are yours. or you can just cut me out and do what ever. If you want me to finish those issues let me know here or in a pm.

As for the main thread with the Irregulars. There are two active plots and there is an over arching plot. If you wish complete the two active plots as players I can either give some one the pertinent information and they can  "take over" or I can finish them in an abbreviated form.

The overarching plot was going to thread through the individual books and culminate in a big crossover some where down the line. that was the plan. If y'all continue and wish to i can advise about this or co gm it. but thats up to y'all and we can discuss it individually as needed

What does this mean for my other games?

The Shadows will continue as is. If any of you wish to drop out please let me know so I can work that in but i do not see shadows changing due to this.

Nova Praxis/Starfinder - both of these games are on life support.

NP in it's current form is not working for me. I will finish the current story on the Ginger Snap side. Dragonsclaw I will try to finish but I am having difficulty in tying it together so I make no promises. Once this is accomplished NP will either be completely retooled to combine the characters or may be cancelled and replaced with a different hard scifi game. I have not decided what to do with it yet.

That leaves Starfinder. I do not know what to do here. so I will leave it up to those of you playing SF. If you wish to continue SF as a game you need to post. I have two of you who post regularly Char and Jer. The rest of you for whatever reason either have to be reminded eveytime or post as an after thought or don't post at all. If y'all want to continue Sf i need commitment to posting from more than two of you. if not I will cancel SF and move on.

I know this is the aws OOC but since all of you or most of you are in aws and one or more other games I wanted to get this out there and didn't feel the need for a bunch of posts saying the same thing.

We all have real lives outside of this website. but we choose to come here because this place fills a need. We all love this hobby. But we don't all share the same values or the same ideas even when it comes to our hobbies. I do things differently than Dave, or Noir, or Justin, or Sean. I don't like the same things that you like in some cases and not to the same degree in others. and you all have similar likes and dislikes.

We don't always see eye to eye and sometime we get frustrated. Frustrated with the games we are playing, Frustrated with the games we are running. Frustrated with each other. and Frustrated with Real life.

This is a place to relax and have fun. When that is no longer what is happening, things need to change. And the only thing we can change is ourselves.

I'm starting to ramble

4 hours ago, Nina said:

Let me be clear AWS is now open world...

This is your game now.

Cool.  I'm Quantum 11 with all stats and powers at 11.

This hike power came at the expense of having to steal it from everyone else so everyone who in not Jaunt was reduced to Quantum 4 in the process.  Since he is, in effect, God, no one can regain any of their lost power without his okay first.

Happy posting!

No take backs, I called it first!  Shoulda said something before I did.  You snooze you loose!

You won't receive requests, Nina.  The sad truth is most gamers are lazy and complacent, they won't actually reach out to find out what's going on.  They'll sit and monitor the thread, waiting for someone to bait them or the ST into giving up something so they can chime in with something that appears to be interest.

Like I just did.

Anyway, I'm down for finishing out the threads.  I'd pick it up afterwards, but we all know I'm not in a position at the mo' to take on more games.

I will look at things after this weekend and my vacation trip. Hopefully that will reinvigorate my enthusiasm.  I will make no promises but I don't like leaving things unfinished it makes me feel like I failed.

max most of us are in discord  sitting quietly just like we do in chat so...join us if you can

Heya Nina.

I'm still interested in my cold-blooded criminal as a character, and you did mention having some ideas for him.  I completely understand if you don't want to start new stories, but if you are taking requests then I'd be happy to write as Casimir.

Alternatively I can shelve him for use later on. :)

Archived