Nina

OOC Thread for AWS Discussion

it is obvious that i have lost control and really don't know what i am doing anymore.

I am going to step away as stroyteller.

i will leave the games unlocked if anyone wishes to continue.

If not I am sorry for wasting everyone's time.

30 minutes ago, Nina said:

it is obvious that i have lost control and really don't know what i am doing anymore.

Incorrect.

You may have lost control of the original idea you had, sure, but not the game as a whole.  As far as not knowing what your doing?  Also incorrect.  You've been doing fine, but for some reason you fail to realize that you have a pool of experienced STs from which you can pull from if you find yourself stuck, or in a rut.  That's why we're here.  Am I an asshole?  Yes.  But I will never tell anyone here not to tell a story or take part in one.  In fact, I have one rule in my games I've always held to, and that was 'no one get's turned away', which means that I've allowed players into my games that I absolutely loathe, because the magic of storytelling is far important than my personal feelings from someone, it's a gift we should all have the opportunity to enjoy.

That's what you do.  You tell a story and by doing so you enrapture a small group of people's imaginations and hearts and weave for them a brand of magic that has never left this world.  To transport a person to a place where they are away from the banal existence of our reality is a gift to someone unlike anything that can be imagined.  It's more precious than money, more valuable than gold.  Along the way we're gonna fight, argue, bicker, bitch, complain, and the synonyms for being shitty go on... that's why the people here make me so mad, because that's what family does, they know how to push all the right buttons.  After 15 years, I know the people here better than I know my own family (and if you met my family, you'd understand why I spend so much time here).  What you do requires a certain talent and dedication that not a lot of people possess.  You may not believe that, but when you take a child in a wheelchair and ask him/her to close their eyes and imagine a world where they are a superhero or a warrior without peer, and see them, for just a moment, forget about the hand life has dealt them, then you get it.

Story Telling is a gift, it may sound cheesy, but it's true.  The game is not in the secrets or the stats.  Here, it's in the posts.  The story that is told with or without the combat, that's the game.  You can't mess that up.  Sure, you might slip up, or we as players will completely wreck a proposed plan, but that's not the end of the game.  You have us here to tap into if you're unsure or stuck.  You will have terrible ideas (we all have, trust me) that we will laugh at, acknowledge, and move on like they never happened (or hold against you forever, ask Jeremy about 'Stomp Em' In The Nuts').  You have to communicate with us though, Neeners.  If the story isn't going how you planned, then tell us that, or we just run the risk of doing it all over again... which will just frustrate you and us more.

We're grown, we're allowed to talk to each other.  Tell us what you want, and we can make it happen.  Sometimes a story needs to be railroaded to get it back on track, we get it, we'll work with you.  If you need to PM one of the more experienced STs and throw out a few things for us to help you with, please, do so.  Don't worry about blabbing a secret to one of us, we'll never tell.  There is a code among the STs and that is we do not metagame learned secrets or tattle those secrets once learned.  We're professional nerds here.

You're not the first, or the last, ST to step aside in the heat of being pissed off or frustrated (I've done it once or twice).  You have every right to be.  I'm not easy to get along with sometimes, I know, but I'll never lie to ya.  If a game gets to the point where we need to look under the hood, I'll say so.  Granted, I'll say it the most round about, completely dickish way imaginable, but it'll get said (feel free to tell me to 'fuck off' once in awhile).  I do not think for a moment that you are a bad ST, quite the contrary, you're really good at it.  If you feel you just can't do it anymore, then so be it.  If you do calm down and reconsider, then I implore you to make use of your player base more (that's why we're here).  It's not you against us, nobody wins that way.  We all have to work together to tell the story.  With any luck, this won't be the end of the Weirder Stuff.

Well said Dave.   We all know there have been issues, hell we've all been part of them.   We're all still here, still playing together though, and that says something too.   AWS is the largest game on the site and I'd hate to see it go.   I think that you've done a great job with it so far Nina, and I admit, this isn't how I'd want to see it end.  That said if you truly believe you cannot continue, or just plain don't want to do so, I can respect that too.  The game's been a hell of a ride, and for that much at the very least I'll say thanks.   

I appreciate the kind words, the understanding, and the encouragement, I do. But the last few weeks have shown me that I have a fundamental difference in how we all  look at what we do here most of you on one side and me on the other. The further along we have come the more it stands out. and I am not sure that it is reconcilable  in the current way we interact within the games.  It is no ones fault but my own.

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say and I would do things a lot different if i were starting today.

I don't know what I am going to do. More importantly I don't know How to do it in a way that makes it good and fun for all of you as well as myself. Expectations

There are two terms that in my mind define what we do here. StoryTeller and Game Master.

Everyone thinks these are just two different names for the same thing. I don't.

I like to think that I am a storyteller and that all of you are helping me tell the story i'm directing. I am not however a game master. And that i think is the problem.

I need some time to figure out what to do with my stuff because what i'm doing now isn't working

For what it's worth, I deeply appreciate your Storytelling and Game Mastering, and I apologize for not taking time to acknowledge that more often. It's a hard job you're doing, but it doesn't have to be thankless, and that's on me.

In a very real way, you helped save the site from fading out by stepping up when you did.

So I'm with you. If I can help in any way, just ask. I'll do whatever I can.

I don't think you should scrap everyone's fun over two people not getting along.  We resolved the issue and everything was fine.

If you don't wanna do this, that's fine, you do you, but I think punishing everyone because Noir and I can't along is a bit harsh.  However, that's on you and everyone else.  I wasn't in the game anymore so the declaration doesn't affect me.  All you're doing is punishing the others at this point.

I intend to begin the next chapter next week

so let wind down the remaining side threads.

new side threads can be started if you wish after the chapter gets underway.

After consulting with Nina, and in the interest of saving people research time, decided I'd post up a little consolidated table of the party's weapon's resources with associated RAW. Jeane'll just be grunting and banging away in the background handing out goodies until we set about opening the vault door. :)

2 jury-rigged axes (Str+4 L base dice in damage) (Jeane's keeping one of these)

4 jury-rigged clubs (Str+4 B base dice in damage)

Last-of-Us-ish shivs (Str+2 L base dice in damage, potentially concealable)

And, finally, the gun.

1 1911 Colt pistol (5 L base dice in damage, Range: 70 meters, Rate of Fire:3, Clip 7+1, total available ammo: 36 (6 were still in the clip))

Each survival case contains the following so you actually have double what I list here.

Jump suits – made of the same material as the body suits you are wearing (keen eyes will notice that these jump suites seem to be designed to wear over the body suits.) They zip up the front have pockets on chest and hips (front and back) there are verlcro patches above both chest pockets and on each shoulder. The Suits are a light blue (same color as NASA astronaut jump suits). There are two of each of the following sizes Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large

Boots - 4 pair of boots two that are medium sized and two that are large.... the boots have thick rubber soles and the fabric is the same as the jumpsuit. When tried on the boot with adjust it's size to the persons foot.

Concentrated rations – 60 packages that contain food for 24 hours. Basically they are bastard children of MREs and C-Rations.

Two Pack Frames for carrying every thing

A tool kit (the kind you might carry in your car)

Two water condensers and two 5 gallon plastic collapsible water containers.

1 .38 caliber revolver with 100 rounds

Two Military K-Bar knives

Pocket compass

Matches

Survival first aid kit with drugs

500 dollars in gold coins

2 collapsible shovels

2 canteens (plastic)

2 mess kits with silverware

there are possibly other survival type items in the cases I have over looked if you have a question if you have somethng I do not list ask me

Ok to make things clear I will try to expand my setting discriptions and hopeful this will cut down the need for people to wait for me to answer questions or risk post with out all the information they should have.

My apologies for any confusion or upset this has caused.

this will mean that my posts may take longer to write. when possible I will provide visual aids as well.

Again I also implore all of my players to read fully each and every post. You will be surprised at how much information people miss by not reading everyones posts.

Skimming is bad.

Again sorry for the confusion