MAGE20 - Paint It Black

MAGE20 ST

Triessa paused where she was, her eyes widening. The spirit didn't look threatening or anything...it was just a bit of a surprise. The feel of the place, the node, wasn't negative or dangerous either. Celebration with undertones of sorrow pretty much described every bar she'd ever been in. This one was just intense enough to glom onto spiritual energy.

"Hello ladies," she called out as she sauntered closer. "I'm not interrupting anything am I?" She gave the spirit a wink.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kaitlin is startled by Triessa when she comes up out of nowhere. "Ladies? We're the only women up here Triessa."

"No Kaitlin," Triessa chuckles and points behind her at the spirit Kaitlin cannot see. "I think she is the spirit of this place. Joyous yet sorrowful."

"I am as you say wonder worker. The child cannot see me she has not yet opened her eyes. You are of the house of planets?" The spirit Speaks with a melodious voice a hint of jazz in the ringing.

"Yes we are."

"Who are you talking too?" Asks Kait.

"She speaks to me child." Kaitlin spins at the voice she suddenly can hear and see the Spirit. "I have waited for your return for a long time. Are you here to renew our agreement?"

Kaitlin almost jumped out of her skin as she heard the Spirit speak and it took all her willpower to casual turn around to face it instead of whirling around in surprise, her hand closing into a fist around the Bead of Tass. She eyed the Spirit of the Node dressed as a troubadour with curious uncertainty. Naturally unskilled with Spirit Magick, she could only sense Spirits with great difficulty, yet she could see and hear this one under no volition of her own.

Kaitlin was a caretaker of a small Node make home, up in the mountains surrounding the small town, but it was a quiet, subtle one with no awoken Spirit she was aware of, though her Avatar was far more active there. It's power was a low thrum, like being near power lines, though it was an intrinsically natural feeling, rather than one made by the hands of men. This place, it seemed, was far different than what she was used to.

She raised a well-muscled arm to rub the back of her neck, feeling the goosebumps there, as she looked around for the others, but it was just her and Triessa - and the Troubadour of Cafe Lefitte in Exile on the balcony. She shared a glance with Triessa, not sure if the Spirit was addressing them as a whole from Astrarium House, or her in particular, then faced the face of the Node directly.

"Umm.... Yes?" Kaitlin said, unable to keep the upward inflection of a question out of her voice.

Grinning ear to ear now, Triessa came up alongside Kaitlyn and bumped shoulders with her. Well, bumped shoulder to her arm at least. Damn...girl was tall!

"What she said," she said to the spirit. "We were sent by the Astrarium House to renew the connection this place once had with it. With your kind permission, of course!"

Consent was, after all, super important in these sorts of things...as with most things.

Cade looked at Aja and nodded.  "I was brought here by my adopted Father and original mentor when I was 10.  He Rescued me from a life I'm told was gruesome and more hellish than most have experienced, but I honestly don't recall much of it.   He gave me a home, he taught me to use the power at my command, and when he was slain I took over his practice."

"Now that sounds kinda down, but I did get to grow up here.  New Orleans is the only home I really know, and I'd live nowhere else."

"Of course," thw spirit virtually beamed at them, "It has been many seasons and i would welcome the protections again. Times have grown dark and sullen." The spirits demenor changes growing sad. "Please call your friends I shall clear the Balcony so you may perform your ritual."

The spirit becomes translucent and seems to float into the bar and around it making sure to touch each person. as the spirit passes the patrons and then the staff all find reason to go downstairs leaving only Kaitlin and Triessa in the upstairs bar.

"I have, though my memory of it is jumbled," she replied. Those moments as Cheshire was being born weren't missing in her mind, but they were from so many different perspectives, some of which she could no longer understand once she became Cheshire, that she was left with as many questions on the matter as anyone that hadn't ever died. "What do you see about me? I have a way of knowing when another is about to die and how it will happen, should no action be taken to prevent it. Does that ability appear as a cloak of Death to you?"

For a moment she had forgotten their larger mission at the bar, too intrigued by the ghostly spectre and the insight he might have for her. 

"Oh no Honey, That's just a talent, I can see that in your eye. Some living just have a way of seeing." The ghost reaches up and touches Cheshire's arm. "The shroud is thin here, and i see...I see.. No that cant be..." The ghost looks agitated, as if he is looking at something right in front of him yet far away. Cheshire feels a drop in the temperature of the bar, she looks back into the crowded and see that no one else seems to have noticed. "Honey you are In danger, i don't know how it's possible but ...No!"

And he is gone, all the ghosts are gone.

She started at the touch and his agitation, then blinked in confusion as so many in the bar disappeared. Frowning, she hurried up the rest of the steps, coming upon Kaitlin, Triessa, and the spirit of the node. Her brow was knit together in worry, "I was speaking to a ghost and he said I was in danger. Then he and all the others disappeared. Has something happened up here?"

Kaitlin shared a glance with Triessa as the Node Spirit went about cajoling the staff and patrons to go downstairs. "This seeming a little to easy or convenient to you, too?" Her tone was doubtful. "It can't be this easy, we just had to show and say hi?" She shrugged and nodded towards the stairs. " I'll head down to get the others. Maybe they know more about stuff like this."

Kaitlin hadn't taken more than two strides towards the stairs before Cheshire rushed up to her and Triessa. Her lips turned down in a crooked frown as she listened to Cheshire's concern, her amber eyes following the barely discernible form of the ephemeral spirit. "Um, we just spoke with the Spirit of the Node." Kaitlin nodded toward where the Spirit was flitting around. "It seems happy, eager even, for us to restore the dedication. She was just clearing the people out so we could do the ritual up here. Maybe the ghosts needed to be shooed out too, so the ritual isn't mess up?"

She really wasn't certain about that and started for the stairs again. "I'll get the others. Stay sharp."

Not waiting for a response, the tall woman took the stairs three at a time and went to get the men and explain what was going on.

Triessa shrugged at Kaitlyn. "It's not like the spirits don't get anything out of the deal too," she suggested. "They may not all be easy, but that doesn't mean none of them will be."

She stayed upstairs with the spirit as Kaitlyn went to get the others.

Genevieve shrugged and looked around casually. The twins were both very comfortable in bars and clubs, almost like a homes to them. The decor, music and clientele may change from one establishment to another, but in the end there was really not much difference.

"As far back as we can remember, it's just been my brother an I. We met Camilla here. She's cool and never pressured us to join a cabal or anything. Eventually we wanted to see more so we hit the road, performing on street corners or dive bars and clubs when we could." she recalled before taking a sip of her rum & coke.

"As long as we had each other, nothing much else mattered. So after some time on the road Camilla popped in with the letter, so we decided to come back home for a bit and see how things went." she said as she turned her glass in place around on the table.

Kaitlin came down the stair pretty much bounding Jacques who was about to add to his sisters addition to the conversation didn't. When everyone looked at him he just pointed at the young amazon. “Hey guys hate to breakup the bonding session but...um … can you guys come upstairs.” She was looking around to make sure no one was eaves dropping.

“What's up Luv? Getting lonely up there?” A broad grin on Cross's face showed that he had had a few drinks in the short time in the bar.

“Theres someone we want to introduce you to.” snapped Kait at the Aussie.

Cade didn't wait instead he shoved his chair back and motioned everyone up. “Come on we aren't here for relaxation we have a job to do.” His eyes were on Cross as he said hi peace.

Drinks in hand the cabal followed Kaitlin upstairs, Cross bringing up the rear. Those sensitive to the spirit world, such as the twins couldn't help but notice that the ghosts once filling the premises were now gone.

Seeing Cheshire and Triessa were the only people upstairs kind of surprised everyone but Triessa immediately stepped up and introduced them to the Spirit of the node and that she was eager to renew their relationship with House.

In no Time Cross set up the ritual and within twenty minutes a new ley line connected the Astrarium House with the Node.

Spoiler

Characters may collect some Tass here in the form of Mardi Gras beads. The group finds a total of 15 of the beads around the balcony. Split it how you all desire.

Triessa watched the ritual with avid curiosity, smiling all the while. She finally clapped Kaitlyn on the back and beamed up at her.

"See? Not everything's a fight against desperate odds. Sometimes the universe serves up something that's just...right. Don't get so wound up about the times it doesn't that you can't appreciate the times it does."

Kaitlin watched Xavier conduct the ritual with close attentiveness, so she could perform the ritual at a later time and elsewhere, if needs be. After Triessa clapped on the back and made her comment about good things happening, Kaitlin just glanced down at her and snorted doubtfully. "Good things rarely happen without someone working hard for it. I'm sure he universe is just saving up the trouble to dump on us later."

She crouched down easily, gathering up the Tass in the form of Mardi Gras beads brimming with potential energy and handed them out, splitting them as evenly as possible among the newest Cabal of Astrarium House. When she handed the beads to Aja, she caught his hand for a moment in a formidable grip and locked her odd, amber eyes on him.

"Now that's done, and there ain't anyone else up here, what did you find on the flash drive, Aja?" Kaitlin demanded firmly. "You seemed pretty concerned 'bout it, so don't be coy now, man."

Cade took the offered beads to save for later, recognizing them for what they really were almost instantly.  He watched the Ritual as Cross performed it, comparing it to his own way of doing it, from how Kandal had taught him some time before.  It just went to show that what he'd thought was largely trivial was in fact something he'd been taught for a reason, and he smiled.  "There's always trouble looking for us, the key is to turn its attention somewhere else."  He noticed how Kaitlyn was holding Aja's arm.  "What flashdrive?"  He'd missed something, which was not a pleasant sensation for him.

"I said when we were done with the Nodes." Aja repeated to Kaitlin. "There's still others left to connect. I don't think we should be juggling both tasks at once. So, if you would..."

Annoyed, Kaitlin loosened her grip and Aja pulled his hand free. "Something a friend of hers picked up, Cade. Like I said, when we're all done, I'll show you."

Kaitlin folded her sleek, hard muscled arms and glared down at him. "No, you'll show me now," she growled. "Who are you to make the decision on this? My friend handed me the info, not you, Aja, I just needed a computer to look at it and you happened to be convenient." She frowned. "I thought. So, spill, and then we, as a group, will decide what takes priority, 'kay?"

"All of you stop.  Christ's sake."  Cross mumbled, rolling his eyes.  He looked to Aja.  "You, stop being a childish prick.  Either learn to share your toys or take them and go the hell home, boy."  He glared at Kaitlin.  "And you, stop being such a self-centered little brat.  We have been given a job and all you care about is something else.  Either focus on the task at hand or go find your friend and next time tell him not be an idiot who hands a flash drive to a girl with no means of reading it."

He took a breath.  These kids were already causing him to have heart problems.  "We have two more stops, and unless the information on that computer is going to help us with those last two stops, then frankly I don't give a flying fuck up a running squirrel's ass, luv.  When we are done, we can all hold hands have a big 'Deal-With-Kaitlin's-Shit-Now' cake walk, kay?"

He knocked back the rest of his beer.  "Fucking, kids.  No recompense is worth this."

Kaitlin gave Cross a cross glance. "Why would you think-" She frowned, gave her head a small shake, and started again. "I just wanted to get-" She paused again, lips tightening into a thin line. "Never mind. I apologize, sir." Though the words were polite, her tone was cool, and the apology was clearly not intended for Aja in the slightest. "Let's continue with the Nodes, then. Which one d'you think would be the easiest to hit this time of day: The Lalaurie House or the Canal Street Cemetery?"

Cross sighed and lowered his head for a moment after seeing Kaitlin stammer through her apology.  He stiffened up and looked at the young woman, managing a small curl of a smile along one side of his lips.  "That was harsher than I intended, Kaitlin." He exhaled, collecting his thoughts.  "Forgive an old man his temper."  It was a peculiar choice of words, considering he barely appeared in his thirties.

"Luv, we all come with baggage, it's true."  His fingers spun the glass he held about in his hands.  None of this was their fault.  He didn't want to be wrapped up with a cabal in a chantry bowing to those who'd barely began understanding complex arts he's mastered decades ago.  These were, by first impressions anyway, decent kids trying to make sense of everything in a world they just realized never existed.  "But, you're all in this together now," His lack of inclusion didn't go unnoticed by those paying attention.  "Everything in time.  We have all been given wonderful gifts, but one thing that is never given, is patience.  Take it from someone who knows Time, practically in a biblical sense if you count all the times its screwed me in my sorcerous endeavors."  He offered a comforting wink and a smirk.  "And don't call me sir.  Cross'll do fine, luv."

"Unless you all want to roam a New Orleans cemetery at night, and none of you should, I'd like to add, I say we hit that next."  And just like that, all seemed forgiven.

Cheshire watched the bickering with well-concealed impatience. They would accomplish more if they simply chose a course of action and acted. She sighed, a small note of annoyance in the release of air, and then decided how to best end the issue. There was a small rectangle shape in Aja's pants pocket; the spirit-mage figured it was most likely the thumb drive Kaitlin had given him earlier. Without hesitation, she reached into the pocket, frowning in annoyance when the small bit of plastic slipped from her finger's reach. 

"Hey!" Aja cried out indignantly, stepping out of reach and smacking her hand away. "What do you think you're doing?"

Cheshire cocked her head at him and said flatly, "Attempting to return Kaitlin's property so we can move on." She seemed to stare past him for a moment, then shrugged. "Also, something like Death is here. I do not know if it is following us, but the ghost said I was in great danger before they all disappeared." She glanced at the group, then added, "Aja, you should return Kaitlin's thumb drive. It is not yours and keeping it to yourself is causing unnecessary tension and delay."

"We can check the drive back home, hell I'll let you use my computer if nothing else.   I agree with Cross'  assessment, though it's not really a cemetery that we're going to, more like a small plaque in the middle of Canal street's median."  At the quizzical looks he continued.  "the plot was originally a small cemetery, but as time moved on the lanes widened, and now all that remains is a small monument where the cemetery used to be."

Triessa looked around at Cheshire's warning and said, "Okay, I think we're all agreed that's where we're going next. Lets just head out right away, and we can...discuss things...as we go, right?"

To illustrate, she started for the stairs down, intending on heading out into the street...

Genevieve sighed and rolled her eyes.

"For Pete's sake people, We do not need to have this done in a day so no need to go running all over town trying to get this all done by sundown. We can even take time to case the places and figure out when it is best to perform the rituals and plan our attack, so to speak." she pointed out and finished her drink.

"The Arch Deacon also wanted us to work on establishing our cabal too. That means getting to know one another and doing our own thing in addition to the tasks he gave us. Hell, it's damned near busy work and not something that takes a whole cabal. He did it jus to start us with something to do together. He jus asked for progress reports. If we let him know we got this one done today, he'll be fine. If other things come up or require our attention, or we jus wanna hang out for a spell, then we got time. So if you wanna check your thumb drive or whatever, then go for it. There's no rush on us." Genevieve reminded.

"Frankly, the fact we got one done already will probably impress the hell outta him. He ought to be happy for a good, long while, so no worries and no rush." the finished as she fished an ice cube out of her drink and tossed her hair to the side allowing her press the cube to the back of her neck for a tiny bit of relief from the heat.

"Yeah but...I kind of want to see what's up over there," Triessa says. "And it's a nice day even if it's hot...we can take a scenic route and talk as we walk."

"That way we get to socialize and do the 'group bonding' thing, and those of us who are a bit more...uh...driven...well they're happy too because we're making tangible progress towards our goals. Everyone wins!"

The cabal piled back into the jeeps and made their way to the way across town to their next target. Cade who knew the way went first Kaitlin fuming in silence followed. Mid afternoon traffic was a bitch and even with Cade taking the short cuts he knew it still took them the best part of an hour to get to their destination.

Moving out of the City, following the old boundaries of the city’s growth to the foot of Canal Street, are the great necropolis of some of the oldest and most ornate cemeteries in America. Not less than six of the oldest and most famous cemeteries in the city are to be found at the foot of Canal Street and others line the sides of City Park avenue as it winds toward Bayou St. John.

There, a few yards from the intersection where the street car tracks run is an old Historical plaque detailing the mass burial site of those who died building those self same tracks. Mostly Irish immigrants and blacks. This is where the node is supposed to be.

Traffic is busy on both sides and the monument is out in the open and plainly visible to all who pass. But more important is the fact that none of the cabal can sense the presence of the node.

Spoiler

Awareness checks will be needed target is 7

Cheshire watched the flow of traffic, fascinated by the complex interactions that created the dance of machines and quickly moving people. Once they were near the spot, she closed her eyes and leaned back in the car, searching for the node that should be there. 

Spoiler

Malachite *rolls* 5d10: 7+4+8+7+6: 32

3 successes

Looking around at the busy intersection, across the T lies the large Greenwood cemetery Cheshire see the ghosts oh so many ghosts, more ghosts than the living. She can see the shadowy reflections of the city laid over the buildings and structures of the real world. To her the mix of real day and shadow give a grey cast to everything. Vertigo threatens, then she turns. Behind, down the street following the tracks a boarded up building and beyond that the glow of power a fount of creation tinged with darkness.

"There!" She points and the other mages turn and look. The see a boarded up red brick building.

"That building?" asks Cade.

"No beyond it." Is the young woman's response as she cuts across the street dodging traffic takes the sidewalk past the abandoned building to a well kept wrought iron fence. "There."  She points through the gate before them at a solemn memorial, teeming with spirits of power. The gate has a wrought iron arch proclaiming it to be the Charity Hospital Cemetery and to the right along the street is another sign this one in granite tile New Orleans Katrina Memorial.

tuggle figure 3.JPG

Spoiler

I need Kaitlin to make an occult/alertness roll t7

On his own, Cade had sensed the node wasn't where it was supposed to be, and he could however feel the presence of a powerful node.  He followed her indication and his own senses towards the Charity Hospital Cemetery.   "well, at least it isn't in the middle of the road."

Cheshire stopped at the gates of the cemetary, watching a trio of tourists - young women in shorts and college shirts - were taking pictures with their smartphones. She frowned at the red glow she could see hovering over the left eye of each of them. Murder, and soon. She looked to her cabal and asked quietly, "Am I needed here? I didn't do much to help before and I would like to follow those girls." She gestured to the tourists. "Someone is going to try to murder them soon and I might be able to prevent it." 

She had several weapons concealed on her, a habit her Euthanatos trainers had drilled into her early on; between that and her magic, she felt confident she would be able to handle the situation the girls might soon find themselves in. Then again, her presence alone and how it might affect anyone hunting the girls might be enough to change the future of events on its own. 

Triessa's eyebrows lifted, and she looked at the girls that Cheshire was indicating. She stepped closer to the strange young mage and said, "I'll go with you. Even if we can't stop them from being attacked, I might be able to save their lives."

Kaitlin parked her Wrangler then stepped out to follow Cheshire and Triessa, slipping through the traffic with long-legged grace, though not without garnering a few honks, some of annoyance, some of admiration, judging from the cat-calls. Walking around with a bow or a sword was more than suspicious in a city, so she left them in the secure storage container in the trunk, instead contenting herself with her survival knife.

Joining Cheshire and Triessa, the tall girl frowned, looking between the Cemetery grounds and the boarded-up brick building. The gate, fence, and landscaping of Charity Hospital Cemetery was maintained with immaculate and pristine care, sharply at odds with the graffiti marring the walls of the brick building. Her frown deepened when she noted something hidden within the swirling and jagged designs of the graffiti, which she wasn't even sure how someone would draw using. spray paint.

"Guys, we might have... a problem here," Kaitlin said, keeping her voice low so only the girls and any of guys who had followed them could hear, pointing discretely at the brick building. "Look over there, at the graffiti. See that symbol over on the lower right, the one mixed with curves and straight lines? No, not that one, that one, yeah. I don't know what it means, but it looks like the same... I dunno, language that I've seen werewolves use back in Wyoming."

Kaitlin looked around sharply, beginning the controlled breathing exercises to build up the arcane energy needed for a self-enhancing personal ritual. "Someone may have claimed this Node already, and if those someones are werewolves, they're fast, strong, and damned territorial. Not that I've had much experience with them, I admit."

"Werewolves," Triessa breathes, excited. "I've never seen one. You think they really live right here, so close to people? I wonder if there's any near right now, watching..."

She looked around, but didn't see anything amiss.

"So...maybe we should find them before we do anything else. See if we can talk to them...reach some kind of an agreement."

"It rather depends on how territorial they are." Aja pointed out. "And let's be honest, they're not particularly part of the compact the Chantry made with the other supernatural powers that be in town. So from what I've been told, if they object, we be polite, walk away and kick this up to the higher ups. We don't start a fight."

Penny had told him enough horror stories about werewolves in combat. And they didn't really have silver in tow.

"Fire works rather well too, actually, and that we have in abundance, if we wish, and silvertipped ammunition is easy to come by."  It was one of the first tricks he learned actually, conjuring and controlling fame.  "Still, we should at least be courteous, unless there is a reason not to be.  Go see if you can help those tourists, but try to be as discreet as you can, the rest of us can go investigate the node.  I'm interested to know how they moved it honestly."

Cade, Cross, and Aja move through the gate into the Memorial grounds proper. There is a solemnity in the air, a presence of sorrow each of the mages can feel. The place is immaculate. Both Cade and Cross find this out of step with New Orleans proper. Nothing is this well kept up in this city if it belongs to the tax payers.

There are maybe Half a dozen people beside the mages reflecting at the memorial. Moving through the grounds they can feel the power. They move around separated surreptitiously examining the site. There is no free quintessence lying around like at Lafitte's. But the magick is there, Entropy and Forces a swirling miasma at the center of the memorial.

44614575.jpg

katrina-memorial-plac.jpg

There are no Ley Lines nothing that shows any connection to mages at all.

Cheshire, Triessa, and Kaitlin move closer to the three university girls their shirts show that they are from The University of Kentucky. The girls are laughing and looking at one of their phones. They stop when they notice the mages coming close to them and they move away keeping together although they all look hard at Kaitlin while trying to not be obvious about it. Once past the mages the burst into giggles and at least one of them looks back over her shoulder at Kaitlin as the walk on down the street toward the Streetcar kiosk.

Kaitlin feels the blood rush to her cheeks and is about to say something when she notices a tall black man watching her from over by the red brick building.

Dreadlock-Styles-For-Black-Men-Design-Pictures-0013.jpg

Genevieve and Jacques stand back away from the rest of the cabal and when cabal splits with the men entering the Memorial and the women going off after the three teen girls, the two are left alone again. They look at each other. They have been alone so long, only the two of them, it is difficult for them to fit. To find a place. And the others ignoring them isn't helping.

Jeaccques let out a sigh.

<I remember why we do shit on our own. People are Exhausting> A coin comes out, rolling easily across his fingers as he thinks. <What's the betting we've already mortally offended them, just by being here? I certainly wouldn't appreciate a Werewolf kicking down my door and pissing all over the sanctum, which is essentially what we're doing.> He scoffs. <And talking about fighting them, where they could actually hear us? Somehow I doubt starting a war with our Neighbours was what the Archdeacon intended. There's something to be said for initiative, but this could quite literally blow up in our faces.>

Shifting to move, he speaks out loud.

"Come on. We'll take a look around. Hopefully avoid stepping on any proveribal landmines."

Archived