MAGE20 Reboot

MAGE20 ST

Mage Reboot

This will be open to those players who stuck with me thru the last iteration.

New players may submit a character concept acceptance will be on a case by case basis.

Those players who have automatic acceptance are. Long, Asa, Max, and jer

LongOOC, Asarasa, SalmonMax. You three stuck with me regardless of how difficult it was. I appreciate the effort all of you put in.

Mage is a difficult game and it wasn't any help that I made a overly ambitious metaplot that was also somewhat convoluted.

Ok it was a lot convoluted.

It also didn't help that many of you were confused by which game we were playing. I run Mage the Acension using the 20th anyversarie edition with some tweaks and house rules. It is a completely different game than Mage the Awakening. Many of you were only familiare with Awakening and were confused by the differences.

Ascension is a High Powered Game.

Awakening can be but in general is not.

On to the reboot.

If you are a returning player what you need to know and do follows.

Your character was reset in time and space in the new reality. The other reality NO LONGER EXISTS and your characters have no knowledge memories or what have you of those events.

As shown in the final post each of your characters received a letter. This letter was received some time ago. Inside, it details that your mage has been sponsored by a mage that you know or have crossed paths with, (you will need to detail this mage somewhat it is not Anson, as he never existed in this reality) to Move to New Orleans to Join one of the most Prestigious and Independent Chantry's in North America, The Astrarium House. The Astraium House has been in operation since the first western settlers came to Louisiana. It is not a big Chantry, it's member mages have rarely numbered more than a two dozen or so at any given time. Each of you is a gifted or talented mage and your characters will form a new cabal within the Chantry.

Returning character will need to do some reallocation of points. It may be easier to just redo from scratch but I leave that up to you

Attributes remain the same or can be reallocated except for increases bought with Freebie Points (See Below) which should be removed at this point.

Abilities remain the same or can be reallocated except for those bought with Freebie Points (See Below) which should be removed at this point. Remeber you get One * free in the Following Abilities : Alertness or Awareness (choose one), Drive, Academics, and Computer. If your concept doesn't make sense to have one of these abilities you can place the free dot in a similar ability which would make sense for the concept after checking with me.

Backgrounds : Each character has the following backgrounds free of charge.

Mentor ** - may be increased up to 5 during with background points or Freebie points. This mentor should be the one responsible for instructing you in your primary sphere. He will be a member of the chantry I want each of you to name him and describe him don't worry about stats.

Library *** : This is a personal Library that each of you has acquired since your awakening. You may buy additional dot up to level 10 if you wish either with background points, Freebie points or experience.

Chantry *** may only be raised in play

Avatar *** may be raised with background points or Freebie points

Contacts ** may be increased with Background points or Freebie Points Give brief descriptions for me to flesh out.

Resources * characters lose all wealth granted in the other reality. May be increased with Back ground points or Freebie points.

** free dots in ONE of the following, Sanctum, Totem, or Wonder

All backgrounds granted by Anson's will in the alternate reality are removed.

Aside from the above free background dots you have 10 additional dots to spend on backgrounds.

Arete

Each Character will start with ** in Arete. Additional dots may be bought with Freebie points or with experience after play begins.

Starting Spheres

Each mage begins with a * in each sphere.

You have ****** to spend among the Spheres.

Your affinity Sphere must be at least one * higher than any other sphere.

You may reduce the * of a beginning sphere and add it to another sphere, however this means that you are defieciant in that sphere and it cost x2xp to raise it after play begins. You may however raise it with Freebie points.

Your Affinity Sphere Must allways be at least one * higher than the next closest sphere.

Freebie Points – You should have removed all Freebie point expenditure by this point leaving you with only your base * allocations. Now you may spend Freebie points Using the following modified table.

Freebie Points

Trait Cost

Attribute 5 per 2 dots

Ability 2 per 3 dots

Background 1 per dot

Sphere 7 per dot (Affinity sphere must be one dot higher than all other spheres. No sphere can be higher than 3 except your affinity sphere which can be 4)

Arete 5 per dot (no max)

Willpower 1 per dot

Quintessence 1 per four dots

Merit cost as per Merit

Flaw bonus as per Flaw (no max but they will be used)

Merits and flaws from other white wolf world of darkness games (classic, new, or 20ths) may be used on a case by case basis just run it by me.

Rebooted Characters have 35 Freebie points

New characters have 20

Returning characters will need to make adjustments to their background stories to reflect the altered reality, manly any stuff about Anson in you background if any needs to be edited out.

Also just because you are a member of the chantry does not mean you have to live there. So Cade can still keep his house and so on.

The game will still be based in New Orleans but you can still be from your other cities/states.

Game Mechanics

rolling 1s do not remove Successes.

Botches only occur if you roll a one with no successes. This means botches will be more rare but when they occurs they will mean more.

Count each 10 rolled as 2 successes on Arete rolls.

Casting magick big change

Roll Arete + highest sphere used, if additional spheres are used subtract one dice for each additional sphere in the spell.

if you intend to return let me know if you wish to join let me know.

Any questions pm me or catch me in chat.

Nina

Okay, so when reverting a character back to a 'beginning' state, we remove all experience and freebie expenditures, as well as any dots gained from events during the game. Then we modify the remaining dots by the rules in the original post in this thread, and add freebies as directed.

That about right?

2 hours ago, SalmonMax said:

Okay, so when reverting a character back to a 'beginning' state, we remove all experience and freebie expenditures, as well as any dots gained from events during the game. Then we modify the remaining dots by the rules in the original post in this thread, and add freebies as directed.

That about right?

pretty much

i'm getting a lot of questions about traditions.

you do not have to be a part of a tradition, or a disparate faction. While there is still some prjudice among some traditions (hermetics) by and larg most of them have embraced diversity and inclusivness. and there is no longer a stigma (or game mechanic) that screws a "orphan"

page 120 of the core book explains it better than i can

Ok Reboot is underway. I still need to get the Chantry done in the next couple of days.

I would like to have everyone's game sheet by wed and backstories by Friday so I can make any suggestions. I am looking at starting a week from this wed.

Thank you

Archived