IC: L5R: Blood and Jade - With A Single Step

In NIWA SHITA NO KAGE

For three more days after Hari had finished the tattoo Rin stayed at Daidoji Hari's residence. Hari would hear nothing of her leaving until she was ready to make her trip to Ryoko Owari. Each day a girl was sent in the morning to inquire about the Steady. The girl would ask the men at the harbor if the ship had been seen and would stay there all of the day waiting for it if it had not.

Rin was not idle on the day after the work had been finished she dressed in her new kimono and stepped out into the larger world for the first time she had business to conduct.

As she walked down the street she noticed the looks she was drawing. Her hair with its new and decidedly unconventional style coupled with the fantastical dragon tattoo elicited many looks of shock and even a few looks of disgust. But it drew just as many looks of admiration.

People saw a Bushi, confident, strong, deadly and beautiful in a way that she had not been before. The tattoo and hair drew the eye but those with knowledge saw the way she walk the way she carried her swords, and knew that there was more to this girl. They did not know her but they would.

She first saw to her horse. The animal had been cared for but She decided to ride it outside the city to give it a good exercise. She also visited the market where she acquired various herbs and ingredients for the making of her brews. At the same time she made arrangement for a couple of casks of special sake to take back with her for her friends whom she missed. She also bought a bottle to share with Hari

Hari of course was not idle he had postponed several appointments for other tattoo jobs which he recommenced.

Rin filled the next two days with the brewing of potions.

The third day the girl watching the harbor returned with news that The Steady had anchored in the harbor.

When the girl informed Dadogi Hari of the arrival of the ship it was he who suggested that The Captain be invited to join them for dinner. So a messenger was dispatched and that evening the Captain would join them for dinner.

Rin was nervous although she did well not showing it. The Captain was a friend, after their voyage earlier, and so would the first to see her since she had cut her hair and the Artist had done his work. His reaction would be meaningful.

Michiyo had not been surprised at the invitation but he was when he saw Rin. She had never confided in him with what her business was but now he saw and it took his breath away. He had seen tattoos before indeed many of his crew had tattoos but none were such works of art and none were worn so predominantly displayed where they could not be ignored.

Mirumoto-san it is pleasing to see you again.” He bows low.

After Rin introduces her two friends to each other they take seats and enjoy a pleasant dinner. The talk is of very mundane and pleasant things. The Captain tells of his voyage around the bay which leads to a discussion of the return trip to Ryoko Owari.

...so I have a full hold and am available to carry you all the way to Ryoko Owari if you are ready to travel.”

I would be most honored to once again sail aboard the Steady. I can be ready as soon as you are ready to sail.”

The next day Rin says her farewells and promises to return for more work in the future.

Hari-san you have been the most gracious host and you have done such profound service for me I can never fully repay you. I hope that should you ever need me you will send for me. You are my friend and shall always be with me.” She bows deeply to the man who has given her her wish and so much more.

Rin-san I shall be your friend and look forward to the day we can share tales that inspire me to even greater works of art. May the fortunes watch over your voyage.”

The Steady set sail with the next tide. Rin found her sea legs in short time and fell back into the routine of being aboard ship. The captain had decided that with his holds full he would travel all the way to Ryoko Owari where his goods would desired for the festival. He also wanted to treat his crew for none of them had ever seen the festival and this was a good occasion for it. The spent their evening playing go and talking. One evening The Captain finally brought up the Tattoo.

It is a remarkable Tattoo Rin. When first I saw you, it was unexpected, and I have seen how others look. I know that many Isezumi tattoo them selves even their heads but not that I have ever heard of have done so in such a manner.” He drank his tea. Rin sat silent, waiting. “Your soul is now bared for all to see. The hair, the dragon, your bearing, many will see your appearance as a statement and a challenge. You have given yourself much to live up to.”

The challenge Michiyo-san is to me. I must live up to who inspires me and to being worthy. Everytime I see my reflection I will see what I strive for.”

The voyage took 11 days and on the 12th Rin was in Ryoko Owari. She made her way into the city and Showing her badge of office to the city guard enquired as to whether any other magistrates had arrived. When informed that none had entered the city making that claim she told the guard that she expected her friends to arrive within a few days.

I will need lodging for my fellow magistrates and myself as well as for our horses. What are the two best Inns in town?” Puzzled the guard told her of two inns and which of the two was considered better. “Good when my friends arrive, they will be led by a beautiful crane, Tell them that Mirumoto Rin awaits them in the second inn. Please make sure there is someone to guide them.”

After asking and following directions she makes arrangments for her and her four companions at the 2nd best Inn in the city.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Magistrates were greeted at the house and taken inside while their horses were tended to. Toshi led them through to house to the garden where his parents were waiting. They welcomed the Magistrates and visited with them over tea. They were honored to host the Topaz Champion and spoke to her of the Championship, asking her of the tests and competitions, listening to Zoyu recount her successes and triumph in the Iaijutsu tournament. 

Though they did not fawn over their son, not speak much about it openly (as they were too polite and modest to do so), Toshi could see the pride they had in him. He had accomplished a great deal in such a short time and demonstrated his bravery and dedication to all.

Toshi and the Magistrates visited for a few days. Sleeping arrangements were a little cramped, but it was something they endured to allow Toshi the same time home and with his parents that they had all been fortunate enough to enjoy already. And besides, a few days rest for the horses might allow them to push a little harder along this last leg of the trip. Ryoko Owari was close now and they were all eager to reach their destination, perhaps none more so than Zoyu, even if she did hide it well.

On the morning of their departure, Toshi's parents made sure they were supplied with more fresh food and water and then saw them off. In a short time they were back on Doro no Judai na Joka Suru (Road of Fatal Purification) heading north once more.

As they drew closer to to Royko Owari the number of Scorpion foot patrols they met increased, not just in number, but also in size. Occasionally patrols were even mounted, which was a rarity anywhere but the lands of the Unicorn far to the north. It was not unusual to see more patrols within a few days travel of a major trade center, but this was even slightly beyond what would be expected. Finally, his curiosity peaked and Taka stopped one of the patrols to speak to them, questioning them about the increased presence.

"There has been a slight increase in bandit activity. So to put the merchants at ease, Governor Shosuro Hyobu has ordered an increase in patrols." the guard explained.

"This is excessive for something that trivial." Taka commented as he adjusted the jitte in his obi..

The Scorpion guard looked at the jitte, nodded and relented,

"She believes it to be a bandit called Fade. He showed up a short time ago has been a nuisance. A nuisance that Governor Hyobu will tolerate no longer. You need to concern yourselves though. Patrols have been stepped up to either catch him or drive him away. Either way, I assure you the roads are safe." 

Finally, after several days the walls of Ryoko Owari Toshi (Journey's End City), with the towering Temple of Daikoku reaching well above the walls and toward the sky came into sight. At that moment it was not hard to understand how the city got its name. After long weeks oof travel, even by horseback, it was welcomed sight. 

The city sat on the banks of the Kawa no Kin (River of Gold). The majority of the city was on the east bank with roughly a quarter of it on the west bank. In between the banks the river widened significantly for a short ways forming something of a small bay where the many docks and piers could be found. The city was surrounded by a high wall with several gates while the river was spanned by three bridges; two within the city and a third, ornately caved like a dragon, crossed the river just outside of the city, near a gate. Just outside of the city walls to the south, a long, narrow island could be seen. It was walled with only one dock visible at the northern tip. Many opulent buildings could bee seen on the island, with one even clearly of foreign design.

As they drew close they began to pick up the sounds and smells of the city. Even from here it seemed to have an energy about it as people hustled and bustled within, preparing for the festival tomorrow evening. At the gate the guards stopped the Magistrates and asked for travel papers, as was routine. When the jade orbs were presented the guards bowed deeply.

"Welcome to Ryoko Owari Toshi. Your fellow Magistrate has arrived and left instruction with us to guide you to the Inn of the Apple Blossom. Please follow me. She awaits you there." the guard said

With a nod to the guard her turned and began to lead the Magistrates through the city.

Ryoko Owari was indeed large city, one of the biggest in Rokugan and even larger than Honored Treat City. It was divided into quarters with the Noble Quarter separated from the rest of the city by a gated wall. The Noble, Temple and Merchant Quarters were on the east side of the river with the Fisherman's quarter on the west bank, while the Licensed Quarter, known as Teardrop Island, the island in the river just to the south of the city. The wealth of the city was obvious. That is not to say that each person was wealthy, but the city itself was well build and maintained with many cobblestone streets, ornate details and architecture.

The guard winds through the streets of the Merchant Quarter, heading to the west. Finally he stops a short ways from a bridge and gestures to a somewhat large in with the doorway flanked by purple banners of the Unicorn Clan.

"This is the Inn of the Apple Blossom. Your fellow Magistrate said she would await you here." the guard informed. After seeing to their horses the Magistrates stepped inside. 

The Inn of the Apple Blossom was a lovely establishment, with a many rooms upstairs, and tables downstairs where travelers and city residents gathered. As they entered a rolly-polly man with a thick beard and broad smile, approached.

"Oh my! The Topaz Champion! We are honored to have you graze our establishment with your esteemed presence. I am Kimetsu, the master of the house. Please allow me to personally welcome you to the Inn of the Apple Blossom." he greets with a loud, possibly overly friendly tone.

"How may I be of service? Are you seeking lodging? We have many fine rooms available. Perhaps you wish to dine? I do not wish to boast, but I am told by many that we serve the best food in the city." he asks as he gestures to the diners.

"Perhaps you have come to be regaled with tales of the days the Unicorn traveled across the mountains? They are free to our customers, and the Topaz Champion, of course." he says with a broad grin.

It took all the discipline she put into mastering the Blade for Zoyu to conceal her eagerness to reach Ryoko Owari. It had been too long since she had seen Tsukiko and much had happened since last they had been together. Even musing on hunting down and slaying a bandit successful enough to have earned a moniker could not sway her determination to reach Journey's End City and the one Scorpion she believed she could trust.

When the gate guards had mentioned that a fellow magistrate had already arrived and had arranged for them to be led to the Inn of the Apple Blossom, Zoyu had arched a brow in surprise. She had been sure they would reach Ryoko Owari before Rin, but in this, it seemed she had been wrong. She was pleased, however that the guards had recognized them as the magistrates Rin meant by the description of their group being lead by a beautiful Crane rather than the Topaz Champion. She bestowed upon the guards a small but striking smile and nodded graciously for them to lead them to the inn.

Passing a throughway, Zoyu's uncanny, mismatched eyes lingered on Teardrop Island sitting in the river as they made their way through the Merchant's Quarter. An enigmatic grin tugged at her enticing lips as she fingered a letter of introduction tucked snuggly into the sleeve of her fine, azure kimono. The decadent delights and entertainment offered in a city such as Ryoko Owari interested her. She was sure they would interest Tsukiko as well and Zoyu hoped she could persuade Rin to accompany her as well.

The master of the Inn of the Apple Blossom was unseemly fat, but quite jovial and honoured to be receiving such esteemed guests as the Topaz Champion. Zoyu preened, adjusting the haori of her title just so and nodded at the man.

"We have come to Ryoko Owari for the Bon Festival and I believe lodgings at your fine establishment will suit us quite well, Kimetsu. As such, I am sure we will have many opportunities to hear of the far travels of the Unicorn and I for one will listen to them with relish," Zoyu said with smooth politeness. "Speaking of lodgings, we are told one of our fellow Magistrates has already arrived and it was at her word that we were directed here, Mirumoto Rin. Would she be here at the moment? It has been some few weeks since we parted ways."

Riding, Kaze reflected, was not his favourite method of travel. It certainly got you places must faster than by walking, but on the whole, he came out of it stiff and feeling ungainly. He supposed it would have to be something he would need to get used to, should he spend any length of time among the magistrates, but it would take a while to acclimatise to it. Still, the sight of Ryoko Owari sent a thrill of relief through him, not that he allowed any inkling show through his passive mask. Though his companions went a long way towards easing the burden of travel, offering conversation, trading stories and generally just entertaining one another (his Shinobue had probably seen more attention on this single journey than had in the preceeding months), it would be good to be done with riding.

He was surprised to hear that the other Magistrate was here already. From what he had managed to gather, it was expected that the group was likely to end up waiting on her arrival, rather than the other way around. Still, he supposed, they had taken a fairly sedate pace, all things considered and they had stopped for longer than he would have thought among the Scorpion. Not surprising, though. Apparently Toshi had not seen his family since before the Championship. It would be churlish to begrudge a few days in light of that and his parents had played dutiful hosts. Overall, the time there was pleasant enough.

Wandering through the city, he let his gaze wander, taking in the city and keeping an eye out for pickpockets. He didn't think any would be brave enough to try and rob a party of jade magistrates, but it never hurt to be carefull. This was a new city and he wasn't aware of the lay of the land, so to speak. A little vigilance will go a long way.

Tucking a stray lock of snow white hair behind his ear, his gaze flicks over to the temple of Daikoku, over in the temple district. It was an impressive building, the wealth obvious even from this distance. Old habits die hard, he wondered how difficult it would be to hold in a battle. Probably an absolute nightmare. Too many open spaces and no choke points to speak of.  His lips curl in an amused fashion. He really had spent too long amongst the lion. Still. At least it was entertaining.

Finally reaching the Apple Blossom, he tuned out the proprietor, letting Zoyu deal with it. She did seem to take it upon herself to be the defacto mouthpiece of the group and he was content with that, he preferred to remain silent when the option was available. He did look forward to meeting the Mirumoto, though. Zoyu, at least, spoke highly of her and it would be interesting to speak with her. Three students of the blade, each taught a different clans style. He could hardly wait.

At first the fat inn keeper looked perplexed then his mouth turned into a big smile as he realized who the Topaz Champion referred too. "Ah yes! You are the magistrates the Dragon-sama spoke of, though she did not say that the Topaz Champion would be one of you." With that he uses his pudgy  finger to count the number of magistrates now standing in his inn, his smile fades a little. "The dragon has made arrangements but there are more of you than she said," his smile is almost a frown but suddenly he brightens and smiles even broader than before if possible, "No matter, room shall be found. The Dragon-sama is not here at the moment but I know where she is, if you will follow me I will have food and drink made available and while we rearrange some things for accommodation I will send a boy to inform her of your arrival."

In short time the Magistrates seated in a partitioned room, food tea and sake is served while they wait. They do not have long to wait.

*****                                                                                                     

Jino knocked at the tattoo shops door in a moment a young girl with ink stained fingers opens it. "Yes? What do you want?" The girls voice almost a whisper Jino thinks she is very pretty even though he can see that her exposed arms are heavily tattooed, but that no longer bothers him having recently discovered an appreciation tattoos himself.  He smiles at her then remembers why he is here. "I am Jino form the Apple Blossom, I come with a message for the Dragon-sama."

The girl looks the boy up and down he is bare chested and wearing only a loin cloth and sandals, she thinks he his well formed but plain without adornment. "I am Shiho, the Dragon is busy." She starts to close the door but a voice calls from inside. "Bring him here, Shiho."

Rin sat still as Atsuo tapped his needles without looking up. After arriving in Ryoko Owari and making arrangement for her friends at the Apple Blossom She had set out to find how the local tattooist were. She had found Atsuo an artist not int he skill of Hiro but his rendering of Koi was very good. With the Dragon and Crow both on her left side she felt unbalanced so she had him do a tattoo on her right inner wrist. He was coloring the tattoo when the knock at the door came. Shiho his daughter and student went to answer. Even though they spoke softly Rin could hear them and recognized Jino's voice from he Inn, she called for Shiho to bring him to her.

"Dragon-sama..."JIno stops in mid sentence the dragon was sitting there her arm resting on the table were the bald tattooist was hammering the needle into her wrist, her kimono was gathered at her waist exposing the entirety of her upper body, he quicly averts his eyes. "Dragon-sama, Kimetsu  sent me to tell you that your fellow magistrates have arrived and are waiting on you at the inn."

Rin couldn't help but smile at the boys embarrassment. "Thank you Jino. Atsuo, is this a good place to stop?" Atsuo stops and looks at the work then sets the needle and hammer down and dabs at the drips of blood then loossly wraps the newly colored tattoo. "Hai we can finish tomorrow or the next day if you wish Dragon-sama."

"I will send word." She stands and faces Jino and Shiho as she pulls the Kimono on and then facing the mirror she makes sure she is presentable. "Do not be embarrassed Jino, I am not. Walk with me back to the inn."

Kimetsu opend the sliding door tot he room where the magistrates waited. "Pardon your rooms are now ready and your belongings have been placed. When you are ready you will be shown to your accommodation. But first your friends has arrived." He bows and steps aside and Rin steps into the room and stops just inside as Kimetsu  closes the door behind her.

"Hello Zoyu-san, my friends, I am pleased you have arrived safely."

She stands, slightly turned to her right, allowing her fellow magistrate to see her for the first time since she had the dragon released.

Spoiler

See spoiler in signature for head tattoo information

This is the new wrist tattoo

koi-infinity-japanese-tattoos-egodesigns.jpg

Toshi had indeed been happy to have the return to his family, and their regard for his success. Now, to reunite the group and take advantage of the pleasures of Ryoko Owari, and the journey would be Hotei's jewel. The reports of this Fade made him smile, if only in amusement at this ambitious bandit. Fade's time would come though - he could not defy the Scorpion forever.

Rin, as they came together, seemed very happy for herself, and Zoyu seemed to have something beyond Ryoko Owari eagerly in mind, though Toshi had no idea what. "And to you, Rin-san. An excellent tattoo. You were satisfied with your voyage?"

The other Magistrates witnessed a rare sight - Kakita Zoyu completely speechless, at least for a moment. Her lips parted unbecomingly in surprise and wonder as Rin entered their private dining room and revealed the fantastic dragon curling about the shaven half of her scalp. Zoyu felt a most indecorous urge to run her fingers over the smooth skin and trace the lines of the tattoo but restrained herself by folding her arms and hiding her fisted hands inside her sleeves as she stood up to greet her friend and get a closer look at the tattoo.

Zoyu felt a small, sharp stab of envy. Rin was not as beautiful as herself of course, but the dramatic, very visible tattoo was undeniably eye-catching. She was very proud of her lengthy, naturally white hair - not dyed like most Cranes - and typically styled it more elaborated than Rin did, but she couldn't help but wonder for an instant what she would look like with half her scalp bare, highlighted by some sublime tattoo.

Zoyu gave her head a small shake and collected herself. Such was not for her - far too bold and brash - but it suited Rin exquisitely. Indeed, Rin seemed far more at ease and sure of herself, baring such an intimate part of her soul for all to see. It was good to see and Zoyu's warm smile for her friend was sincere.

"I am delighted to see you again, Rin-san, and twice surprised. One, that you reached Ryoko Owari before us and two, to see you adorned so." Zoyu's smile deepened and she tossed her head, flicking her lock of raven hair over her shoulder. "Now I know what personal business occupied you these few weeks and it was time spent indeed. The artistry is exquisite and most becoming and speaks to who you are most impeccably, Rin-san." The striking Crane laughed, truly delighted for her friend and herself. "I think we are going to have a fun and eventful time in Ryoko Owari."

Rin could not help but smile at the sight of her friends, it warmed her to realize that she held them in greater esteem than she had imagined. Her smile grew broader when the Crane stood and approach her, her breath quickened when her familiar scent came to her nostrils, when the mismatched eyes met hers as Zoyu gazed upon the dragon.

2 hours ago, Kakita Zoyu said:

"I am delighted to see you again, Rin-san, and twice surprised. One, that you reached Ryoko Owari before us and two, to see you adorned so." Zoyu's smile deepened and she tossed her head, flicking her lock of raven hair over her shoulder. "Now I know what personal business occupied you these few weeks and it was time spent indeed. The artistry is exquisite and most becoming and speaks to who you are most impeccably, Rin-san." The striking Crane laughed, truly delighted for her friend and herself. "I think we are going to have a fun and eventful time in Ryoko Owari."

"Events to come I look forward too. As for arriving before you, my friends, I traveled by wondrous ship upon the river. Tomorrow you shall meet he who made this possible. But tonight we reacquaint and celebrate. I have a gift I wish to share with my companions." She touched Zoyu lightly on her arm as she stepped up to the table and stopped upon spying another with the white hair of the Crane seated. She looks back at Zoyu with questioning eyes. "It seems the Crane among us have multiplied."

Kaze allowed a small smile at the humour before offering a polite bow.

"I am Kakita Kaze, Mirumoto-san. I had been accompanying Kitsu-san on her journey to meet with the rest of your compatriots and once we arrived, she saw fit to deputise me that I might accompany them for the rest of the Journey. It has been my utmost pleasure to do so."

The Mirumoto was certainly striking, though not carrying the raw physical appeal that he or Zoyu did. The blatantly visible tattoos drew the eye, much in the way a birds plumage would. He had rarely seen Tattoos worn with such open pride. Even the crab that he had met in the past, those few that he had met, had not tended to have the head or face worked. He had to say, though, that he approved of the design. As a Crane, even among Lion, he could appreciate good work when he saw it. And understand the desire to draw attention to it.

Rin could not help but feel somewhat uncomfortable with a new edition to their little group especially with all that they had shared since embarking upon this journey begun at the Topaz Championship. Then she thought of her own experiences with new people and could not fault Kegeko for finding a new friend and wishing them to join her.

Plus he was attractive.

"Belated Welcomes Kakita-san it is fortunate for you that you have joined us." She claps her hands sharply and the door behind opens and a servant enters with a small keg followed by others  with  food and a sake service. "I have brought a gift for my friends. We have tasted it before but tonight to celebrate our reuniting we shall indulge.  I give you food and Friendly Traveler Sake, let us enjoy and share tales of our respective journeys."

Rin sits near to Zoyu and nods her head at Kegeko and gives her a lopsided grin. The with food and warm sake, she regales her friends with he tale of her journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Zoyu bowed her head towards Kakita Kaze, letting him answer Rin's inquiries for himself. When Rin revealed her gift of the fine rice alcohol, Zoyu gave her friend a warm smile. While Rin spun the tale of her travels and those she met along the way, Zoyu listened with pleased amusement, savoring the warm Friendly Traveler Sake.

When Rin finished her tale, the striking Crane began telling the Dragon of their own, along with Kageko and Kaze spinning the tale of how they met. The story of the besotted Badger Bushi who had flirted with Zoyu - badly! - and had followed them through at least two rest stops had the group of magistrates laughing out loud.

When it came to their time spent among the Scorpion, Zoyu was vague and noncommittal about what transpired. Though she kept her expression bland, speaking with Bayushi Kachiko had obviously troubled her, to anyone who knew the proud Crane. When Toshi and any of the others were more detailed about the dinner, Zoyu remained silent on the issue, keeping her own consul.

As evening wore on and the talk wound down, it turned to plans people had for the next day. Zoyu revealed she had plans to track down an old friend she hadn't seen in some time. Also, she intended to visit Kitsuki Jotomon who's swordmanship Toshimoko-sensei had praised and invited Rin to accompany her. She had an idea for the evening too, but preferred making any plans to visit Teardrop Island after speaking with Tsukiko and speaking with Rin about it in when the two of them were alone.

Eager to attend Zoyu's invitation Rin heartily nods, Holding up her bandaged wrist. "I will gladly join you Zoyu-san. I have an appointment in the morning to have some more coloring done here. but then I am yours." The crooked smile she gives her friend is a bit wicked. "I have also made plans for a feast tomorrow night I have invited the Captain of the Steady to join us. He is a valued friend and I wish all of you to meet him."

• 2 weeks later...

The magistrates enjoyed the fine food and sake, caught up with one another, shared stories and simply relaxed. It had been some time since they were able to do so. The demands of their appointments and the learning that came along with it left little time for pure relaxation over the last several months, a fact that had apparently not gone unnoticed by Seppun Ichiyama. It was indeed nice to just relax, enjoy some dinner, sake and each other's company, and not think about work for a while.

The conversations covered a wide variety of topics and eventually came to the Bon Fetival, at which time Kageko displayed her particular expertise,

"I would be honored to lead each of you in your prayers tomorrow evening. The Bon Festival is very dear to the Lion Clan, especially the Kitsu and is the most important festival to the Sodan-Senzo, like myself. It is a festival to celebrate effervescence of life and acknowledge inevitability of death as part of the cycle, something to be celebrated, not feared. There are decorations, streamers, food, costumes, music, plays, dancers and all manner of performers, parades and fireworks. Cities on the water often send waver after wave of paper lanterns floating down the river or out to sea.

The festival allows you to honor your ancestors that have come before you. All throughout cities across the Empire many small booths are erected at temples, the intersections of major streets and common gathering places. Within each of these booths is a small, temporary shrine. From dusk and all throughout the night people take turns entering these booths where one may enter and make offerings and prayers to their ancestors. It is a time to tell your ancestors of your great deeds of the past year, and beg forgiveness for any mistakes.

It is also the night of the year in which the boundary between this world and the next is the weakest. So thin, in fact, that one's ancestors may even appear to them, even those who are not Sodan-Senzo. So you may get a glimpse of an honored ancestor tomorrow night, if you are lucky."

Kageko smiled and nodded, raising her cup along with the others. After hours of talk, fine food and even better sake, the night drew on and the Magistrates could all feel the call of sleep. They were led from the private dining room and up to their rooms where each eventually found their way to bed.

Morning came too swiftly for some, and not soon enough for others. After waking and preparing themselves, breakfast was severed in the private dining room once again. After the meal Zoyu and Rin approached the innkeeper, Kimetsu, who was seeing to his guests in the main dining room.

"I am looking for a few people and thought you may be ale to assist me." Zoyu said to the innkeeper who smiled and bowed.

"Of course, Zoyu-sama. I have lived here for many year and know many people that call Ryoko Owari home." he replied.

"The first is a friend from school. Her name is Bayushi Tsukiko, but I do not believe she lives here. She is part of an acting troupe that has traveled here to perform for the festival. She is quite tall though, and roughly my age, and attended the Kakita Artisan Academy."

Kimetsu brought a hand up to stroke his chin as he thought for a moment and finally shook his head.

"I apologize, Zoyu-sama, but I do not know of whom you speak. If you can permit me some time, I can likely find out where the troupe is staying though, as I doubt there are many who would fit that description within the city."

"Very well. While you do so, then maybe I can attend to other business. Do you know where the dojo of Kitsuki Jotomon is?" Zoyu asked.

"Kitsuki Jotomon? Now that is a name I do know. Her dojo is but a few minutes walk from here, on Sapphire Street, between Copper Avenue and Silver Avenue. If you exit and take Brass Avenue north two blocks you will come to Sapphire Street. If you then turn to your right, to the east, and head down Sapphire Street in one block you will cross Copper Avenue. Her dojo, which she calls a 'school of bushido', is about half way between Copper Avenue and Silver Avenue. It will be the largest building on your right, though it is not all that big and rather unassuming." the innkeeper said with a smile.

"I can send my daughter to guide you, if you would like." he offered.

"That will not be necessary." Zoyu said.

"I will do my best to find your friend before you return, Zoyu-sama. I know many people, and they know many people, so I am confident I will be able to locate your friend." Kimetsu said with a bow.

Zoyu and Rin exited the inn and proceeded up the street. The streets of Ryoko Owari were largely cobblestone and somewhat narrow. Many buildings within the city walls were two or even three stories tall, which kept many of the streets nearly perpetually in the shade. A soft cloud of noise could be heard as a city of a hundred thousand people not only began to work for the day, but also eager anticipated the coming festival that evening. 

The directions Kimetsu gave were simple enough to follow. The dojo was only a few blocks from the inn and was a rather unassuming building. The gate to the courtyard was open, which indicated that somebody there and welcoming visitors. As the pair drew near the front door of the dojo, which was opened, they noticed a scroll hanging beside it which read, 

'Within the walls of this dojo respect shall be shown based on one's level of skill. Station is irrelevant.' and was signed with the chop of Kitsuki Jotomon.

Zoyu quirked an eye at the scroll as Rin simply smiled and approached the door with Zoyu a half step behind. Inside was a lone woman looking to be in her mid to late thirties with her hair up. She was dressed in a green, black and gold kimono with the sleeves tied back and a set of dark green hakama. In her hands she held a full, wooden daisho which she used in some sort of seemingly, unending kata performed with lighting speed, leaving the pair to almost think she had extra arms and swords at times.

Almost immediately she halted her kata and slipped the wooden swords within her obi before turning to the door and bowing. 

"Please come in. The doors of this dojo are open to all. I am Kitsuki Jotomon and this is my School of Bushido." she said invitingly with a warm smile.

Rin and Zoyu bow low in greeting to Kitsuki Jotomon. "I am Mirumoto Rin, my companion is Kakita Zoyu, We have traveled here for the festival.Your name was given to us in Tsuma that we, the two of us being swords-women of some small skill and always looking to improve, should  seek out  this school and it's master. You are very fast." Impressed Rin nods her head thoughtfully.

Zoyu watched Kitsuki Jotomon's exquisite kata with unabashed interest, even with her odd scroll stating station did not matter. "Quick as lightning," Zoyu agreed in her dulcet tones and a deep nod of her own. "It was Toshimoko-sensei himself who suggested we pay call here, when in Ryoko Owari. It would be our honour and delight to learn what little we may while in the City from one who's skill and speed impressed even the Grey Crane."

Toshi's plan was simple - in its lack thereof. Wander the infamous city, see its delights, pick up food from street vendors and drink it all in. Even a Scorpion needed time to relax the mind, and in a fair amount of his learning from the Kitsuki School, the refrain went that simple, everyday observation strengthened the perception.

Jotomon nodded to Zoyu as Rin walked over to the wall and collected a set of boken.

"Toshomoko you say? I have not seem him since my 'hearing'. You must be a personal student of his. I hope he is doing well." she said as she turned her gaze back to Rin and bowed.

"It have some time before my students will begin arriving for class. If you wish to learn, then let us begin with a sparring session, so that I may evaluate your skill with the sword. Please." Jotomon said, motioning to the bokken on the wall for Zoyu to select one.

She then walked to the middle of the floor and took a relaxed stance with her bokken still tucked in her obi.

"Whenever you are ready."

Jotomon stood calm and relaxed as Rin suddenly came at her, trying to catch her off guard. The older Dragon stepped aside and swung her bare hand down, almost like it was holding an invisible sword, and grasped Rin's katana hand. She gave a sharp yank to Rin's hand as she slipped a foot inside, causing Rin's foot to catch her own as she was pulled forward, forcing her to over extend her attack and stumble forward, using her full balance and focus to catch herself. The counter was unlike any juijitsu the young Dragon had ever seen (though it looked vaguely reminiscent of Mizu-Do to Zoyu), and Jotomon executed it with well-practiced ease.

"Very good." Jotomon said with a pleased smile as she drew both of her bokken from her obi and stepped to the side, ensuing both Rin and Zoyu were in her peripheral vision.

"I am the most promising and personal of Toshimoko's students," Zoyu agree, full lips curving in a coy smile. "He is doing very well, indeed."

Zoyu took her time selecting a bokken, looking for one with the length, curvature, and balance that suited her style. She had just picked one that she found acceptable when Rin struck! Zoyu whirled, her expression one of calm excitement, though she felt a small stab of annoyance at Rin's actions, but her eyes widened at Jotomon's dance-like step throwing Rin off balance.

Zoyu's mismatched eyes narrowed slightly as she caught Rin's gaze for a moment and nodded, then began gliding around, forcing the Dragon Sword-Mistress to split her focus as much as possible between her and her Dragon companion. It was not uncommon for a swordmaster to spar against more than one opponent, though it was not a practice that she as a duelist spent over much time pursuing.

The stunning Crane edged smoothly forward, seeing to subtly draw a strike from Jotomon and leave an opening for Rin to find.

The sparring match went on for a just a few minutes with the pair dong their best to work together against the older Dragon. Jotomon was lightning fast though, not just in her movements, but in her reflexes. To Zoyu, it was much like sparring with Toshimoko-sensei in that any time she thought she had the drop on Jotomon, her assumptions was swiftly and firmly corrected. Jotomon was a master of the Niten style, moving swiftly and with ease, never taking a formalized stance or using some special stepping technique. Her movements were natural and her wakizashi-style bokken always seemed to be in the right place to parry away incoming strikes, while allowing herself multiple avenues of attack.

At one point, Zoyu was caught quite off guard when Jotomon threw her waskizashi-style bokken at her, the beautiful Crane's eyes flashed wide for a faction of a second as she was stopped in her tracked and forced to focus on the bokken flying through the air at her, managing to barely deflect it away. Seeing an opening, Rin pressed her attack, which prompted Jotomon to hold her bokken across her body defensively as she stepped into the attack, ending up body to body and face to face with Rin for a split second while Rin felt Jotomon's hands grappling wither her own, tweaking a wrist and pushing her away. Rin could feel her left hand empty as Jotomon raised her newly acquired wakaizashi which was then used to promptly deliver what would have been a killing blow to Zoyu as the Crane attacked. With a smile and a nod Jotomon tossed the bokken back to Rin and continued with only her katana-style bokken.

Jotomon's bokken found their way through each of their defenses often, delivering what would have been multiple killing blows every few seconds had this not been a simple sparring match. Both could tell that Jotomon was making sure to pull her blows, but sometimes not entirely, usually when one had made a mistake, was caught off guard, or over-committed to an attack. When the sparring match ended, the pair could each feel aches and bruises, mostly on their ribs and abdomens.

Jotomon stepped back and motioned to the pair.

"Now you two, spar." she instructed.

With a bow Rin and Zoyu began to spar. It was certainly nothing new them, as they had done some many times in the past, but it had been weeks since they last faced off. Jotomon watched with a keen eye as they sparred for just a few minutes before the older Dragon finally stopped them and indicated for them to sit.

Once all three were kneeling on the floor, Jotomon spoke once more,

"We learn through experience. And in life, we often gain that experience through pain. The dojo is a safe place to make your mistakes and learn from them. So each bruise in not a bruise, but a bit of experience that will contribute to your growth and mastery. 'Cry in the dojo. Laugh on the battlefield' as the saying goes." Jotomon reminded.

"I have found, especially in this city, that people may put up facades and lie and hide behind words, but in a fight all of that falls away and you see who a person truly is. There is a purity in it, where one's soul is truly bared, for good or ill. In a fight, cowards will be exposed as such, as will the dishonorable. At the same time though, the dedicated, sincere and resolute will show as much. In my experience, a fight is the best the way to get to know somebody, as I now know you both." she explained.

"You each know one another and spar often. Be wary of that though." Jotomon warned, "As you get familiar with a person it is easy to rely on your knowledge of the person, their tendencies and such, rather than your actual skill. It is a trap of familiarity, and it can be deadly when you finally face another opponent."

"You both have skill and talent though, more than I have seen in a long time. And that is only aided by your dedication. It is of no surprise that you did so well in the Topaz Championship. I hear that you were even the finaly match of the Iaijutsu tournament. It is good to see that you have managed to forge a friendship from such." she praised with a smile.

Spoiler

It is clear that Jotomon threw her wakizashi-style bokken with some actual skill, like it is something she has practiced more than a little. Aside from that, with Rin having sparred the sensei of the Mirumoto school and Zoyu sparring Toshimoko, one might put her on or near Toshimoko's level of skill and talent.

"If each bruise is indeed a lesson, then we shall be studying these for some time." Rin chuckles. " Toshimoko-sensei  did not exaggerate. I have never seen such skill. I am excited to see how easily you use many differing styles at once it seems. Your seamless use of jujitsu together with Kenjutsu along with moves I have never seen before was inspiring."

She looks at the small wooden sword. "I have often thought on ways to use the small sword and see that i am not the only one." She smiles. "It would be an honored if we could continue to spar while we are in the city, and learn what you would teach us."

"There is an interesting fact about the wakizashi that has to been lost to many over the centuries."

Jotomon withdrew the wakizashi-style bokken from her obi and set it on the floor before her.

"The wakizashi, as it was originally created and manufactured, is actually balanced for throwing. In an emergency, for course.

That balancing is something that many sword smiths still do this day. Those that balance it properly do so it because it is the way they were taught to do it, but only some understand that it is done for throwing, while the rest do it without really understanding exactly why. They were taught to do it that way, so they do. 

Those who no longer balance them properly likely do so due to a lack of understanding. Along the line somebody did not see the value in it or simply did not understand it, so they may have seen it as a unnecessary step to be removed. That is unfortunate though. It is good to ask why and seek to understand a thing. But just because you do not understand it, does not mean there is not value or merit to it. I am certain that in school you did things you did not understand at the time, but you kept at it and in time came to understand their purpose. So by removing it due to a lack of understanding, one is simply expressing their own failure." Jotomon explained.

Kaze rose before the sun, silently dressing and preparing himself for the day. He had no idea what the others had planned for the day, but he intended to visit the temples and leave his offerings to the Kami. Once his religious obligations were fulfilled today, he would be able to more fully enjoy the rest of his stay, without anything further being required of him.

Perhaps once that was done he would seek to explore the city a bit and get used to the area. Having a working knowledge of how to get around the city would be usefull, rather than having to rely in the directions of the locals completely. It would make the next week or two easier.

Making his way through the inn with naught but a whisper of fabric, he sought out Kageko where she was engaging in her morning meditations. Offering her a brief smile and slight inclination of the head in lieu of disturbing the silence, he sank down beside her. He had made it a habit to join her in the mornings when he could, offering her silent camraderie in her morning vigils. He had come to enjoy it, though he wished that it did not come at the price it did. Still, there was aught he could do about that.

Toshi stepped out onto the cobblestone streets of the Merchant Quarter and into the cool, morning air. He had been to Ryoko Owari before, and was somewhat familiar with it, but with a city of its size things and people change quickly and often.

Dominated by warehouses and shops, the Merchant Quarter is loud, wealthy, bright and fast. The buildings are tall, often two or three stories, with dramatic curves of the roof that carve the sky into crescents, keeping the streets largely shaded except from the midday sun. The quarter runs the gamut from wealthy merchants carried in palanquins to new merchants dressed as well as they can manage, but mostly wearing an aura of greed as they hustle, and above all sell, sell, sell. Travelers through the quarter can hear merchants loudly proclaiming the quality of their wares and trying to draw in customers as they pass by. 

The Merchant Quarter is the place that people from outside the city most often visit, and where the nobles mix with the common folk. Samurai of all the Grant Clans, many Minor Clans, and even some unaligned can be seen here, often in full kamishimo, either operating establishments, strolling the streets, taking a meal or shopping.

The wealth of the quarter brings taxes, and Toshi could be sure that it also brings corruption of the more financial sort, the bribes or "hand gifts" as they were politely called in Ryoko Owari. Many of the merchants may not be samurai, but only a fool would think that their wealth did not bring with it at least some degree of influence.

The quarter was certainly alive and an energy could be felt as most went about their day to day activities knowing the festival would come at nightfall, while others were busy decorating for it. Colorful lanterns were strung across the streets and streamers were hung from the corner of buildings. At most intersections workers, overseen by a monk, priest or shugenja, were busy building the small booths and temporary shrines to be used during the festival. Some streets and intersections were closed off as workers erected stages for various performances and fireworks. Unfortunately, this made many of the already busy and heavily trafficked intersections even slower to get through.

Among the normal wares of the shops, the merchants were also selling items for the festival. Streamers, fireworks, decoration, masks, costumes, noise makers and so on. They were indeed a hot commodity as many people, or newly arrived to the city for the festival, were in need of proper attire or decorations. Merchants were even selling to each other, as nobody wanted to miss out on the money to be earned by selling for the festival.

All through the streets vendors were selling food and snacks from there carts, often at the congested intersections. In addition to the normal street vendors selling food an additional wave of vendors were setting up to sell festival food such as rice cakes dusted with brown sugar and fried octopus balls.

Closer to the shore the river widened significantly forming the 'Bay' of Drowned honor. Small craft passed under the bridges to the north and south and into the bay, by sail and oar from the south and from the Unicorns lands and the City of the Rich Frog to the north. Slowly over the morning the boats would dock, unload their wares and then drop anchor in the bay to make room for the next load of cargo at the precious few docks of the city. Each hour a few more boats were anchored in the bay as it slowly filled over the course of the day.

The markets, shops and restaurants of the Merchant quarter was also the place that one can hear the cityfolk talking. Gossip was common in Ryoko Owari, especially among the samurai. Certainly most of it was of little truth to or wild distortions, but the observant could find small pearls of truth. 

The Merchant Quarter brought with it one other thing not common to most of Rokugan; Gaijin. 

The gaijin, for the most part, dressed oddly. Both sexes favored hats with large brims, with the men often folding and/or pinning up the brim on one side. The men generally had thin, neat beards and goatees and often had long hair, often to their shoulders and occasionally tied back in a ponytail. They wore large, loose fitting shirts, sometimes with a vest, and pants usually with high boots made of leather. The women, on the other hand, wore long dresses, cinched at the waist and with low necklines (by Rokugani standards) with large hats as well.

It was in the largest ports and trade hubs that one had the best chance of meeting a gainjin, and Ryoko Owari was one of the largest of them all. Still, there were not many to be found, but Toshi managed to spot a one here or there on occasion, maybe six across the course of the morning. They were often talking with merchants or occasionally enjoying the market themselves. Many of the locals seemed unfazed by them, though they would occasionally get curious stares.

Ryoko Owari was indeed a vibrant and exciting city, and the impeding festival only heightened it that much more.

Zoyu was shocked, confronting Jotomon's speed first hand, finding her skill approached that of Toshimoko-sensei's himself. Still, Zoyu was irritated, miffed, at Jotomon's duplicitous trick, throwing her wakizashi. Perhaps the wakizashi being balanced for throwing was a truth among the enigmatic and eccentric Dragon, but Zoyu did not think it a truth for all the Clans. Her father was a master swordsmith and she had never heard of such.

From what she knew, the wakizashi originally came into favour due to being more useful for indoor fighting, with less danger of the katana's length being obstructed and with greater reach than a tanto. And over time, the wakizashi came to mean more, to symbolize one's honour. She could understand wielding one's honour as a weapon, but the idea of throwing it away, even after her audience with Bayushi Kachiko, was anathema to her.There was a reason why the wakizashi was the only weapon allowed in the Emperor's presence, so one could commit seppuku if necessary.

But it would be impolite to challenge Jotomon's words in her own dojo. Zoyu nodded noncommittally. "Perhaps so, but over time, purposes to can change," Zoyu commented, then smiled, ducking her chin towards Rin. "It is not so surprising that we have formed a friendship, both being acclaimed and skilled swordswomen, though our styles differ, to be sure. One learns more from one's equals and betters, than from one's lessers. I have learned much today and would learn more while in Ryoko Owari."

Zoyu could admit to herself that she envied Kitsuki Jotomon's speed, and while she would use the wakizashi in such a fashion, she did desire to learn how to defend and retaliate against just unorthodox tactics.

"And that is, to a degree why I came here and opened this dojo, not to just samurai, but to all. Hence the scroll by the door. Inside these walls my students are not nobles and peasants. They are all simply students of bushido, and it is skill that is t be respected, not just with the blade, but with the understanding of Bushido as well." she said, motioning to the opened doorway.

"It brought me into conflict with Governor Hyobu when Toshimoko-san was visiting. Governor Hyobu had learned that I was teaching Bushido, and by extension kenjutsu and juijitsu, to commoners, her first reaction was to enact a law forbidding such instruction. I asked for an opportunity to argue my case and Hyobu agreed. She convened a panel consisting of her son and several other Scorpion nobles. I was told that the panel would be allowed to freely advise, but in the end it was Hyobu’s sole decision.

The Scorpions, it seemed, were expecting little from me except some transparent attempt at political maneuvering.

I was certainly transparent.

I told her that it is my belief that the code of Bushido strengthens souls and improves those who study it. I would eject from my school any whom I feel are unfit vessels for my knowledge, and I would accept the consequences of any failures in my judgment. If any student of mine was convicted of a crime, then I would share in any punishment.

I then said I would gladly accept the law that Governor Hyobu was considering enacting if the panel could answer two questions.

First, if they believe that the way of the warrior improves the soul, does it not make sense to give its improvements to those whose souls are weakest? Or is it only the samurai whose souls need improvement?

And secondly, if they believe that the samurai are truly superior to the heimin and hinin, why are they afraid? Surely such inferior stuff could never be made into superior fighters?”

They had no answers. 

Hyobu accepted my arguments and struck down her law, permitting me to continue.

I know that since that day several nobles, and the Thunder Guard, all keep a close watch on me and my common students. And to this day none of my students have ever done anything to earn any punishment for me to share with them."

Rin sat as Jotomon filled them with knowledge of the history of the short sword she could not but notice the stiffness which came into her friend and companion. She smiled slightly at Zoyu's characteristic uncomfort at things which did not meet her expectations of normalcy. After Jotomon's lessons and Zoyu's comments Rin, who had been holding the short sword and practicing the movements of throwing much to Jotomon' amusement and her friends annoyance spoke.

“While it is not taught in the Niten, the throwing of the sword, the ancestor himself used such a technique often. I have not practiced it much. But I think that shall change.” She bows her head slightly to Jotomon. “I was very impressed with the way you disarmed me and recovered my short sword. I would like to learn this technique. And at the same time, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you have not been home to our lands or been visited recently by any of our accomplished clan mates.”

“And how do you come by this observation.?” Asks Jotomon.

“I noticed that while you have incorporated many new things into your fighting style, it is still essentially recognizable as the Niten. You have honored the Ancestor in this for he believed that it was always best to learn new and better ways to do things. Yet you still maintain the old gripping technique. The masters of our school now teach a more efficient way to grip our swords which gives added benefit for control of the swords especially for defense. I can show you this if you would like.”

Jotomon nods slightly. “I had noticed when we were sparring and intended to ask. Your instruction would be welcome.” The smile she gives Rin is genuine and make Rin responds in kind.

“As to the way of your school, like you,  the Ancestor also believed that learning never stopped and that mastering the way of the warrior inevitably led to the mastery of other ways of which, by his account, there are many. I too have often studied the ways of both the farmer and the Artisan, mostly by observation.” She pauses and looks off a moment. “Improvement of the self is a desirable thing. But I would think that with the way our world works one must be careful for sometimes Improving a thing, changes that thing into something else.” Rin shrugs, “The changing of a thing is not always desirable by others.”

Gaijin huh? Given his business as an Emerald Magistrate, beginning to understand these foreigners would be a very important thing. Toshi spent his morning hence politely socializing with them, offering assistance as the Scorpion Clan hosts of Ryoko Owari, every little interesting bit he could glean.

- - - Kitsuki Jotomon's School of Bushido - - -

Rin began to instruct Jotomon in the changes to the basic Niten style. She was not a skilled instructor, but Jotomon was a very capable student. It did not take long for the older Dragon to grasp the idea, which she immediately put into use, noticeably improving her basic guard, after which she spoke of their sparring match.

"In my studies of various forms of kenjutsu and juijitsu I have come to understand that the use of the sword and the empty hand are more similar than dissimilar. In as such I have developed a style of kenjutsu which incorporates movements that work with the empty hand as well, allowing seamless transition between the two. This is desirable in combat, as one never knows how they may be armed and at when they be at a range where grappling is more effective than the sword. I disarmed you using a variation of a technique from Kobo Ichi-Kai style of juijitsu, developed by the Crab, commonly called "Drunk Bushi". In this situation it allowed me to avoid your attack and appropriate your wakizashi after I had thrown my own. I have found in other situations though that a disarmed opponent often rethinks their course of action." Jotomon explained.

"My study of Iaijutsu has not been as extensive, unfortunately. It has served me well enough though over the years. Toshimoko-san improved my form when he last visited and since then I have noticed an marked difference. Iaijutsu is not my strength, so I leave it to students to seek out those more proficient in it than I, such as 'Dove', if they wish to study it. I "

"Zoyu-san, I understand the distaste you may feel at the thought of throwing a wakizashi. It has come to be a symbol of one's honor to many, but never forget that even then it is still a weapon which which to serve our lords and fulfill our duties first, and a symbol second. We are bushi, first and foremost. If you would like to learn as well, then I would be honored to instruct one of Toshimoko-san's students."

Jotomon rose and entered one of the side rooms of the dojo, a store room by the looks of it. She removed several targets and a rank with several real wakizashi on it to be used in instructing Rin (and Zoyu, if she wishes) in how to throw the wakizashi, using the provided ones at first before attempting to use your own.

Spoiler

Throwing a wakizashi is an Agility+Athletics roll.

If the wakizashi is not balanced (though most are), there may be a +2 to +5 TN penalty on the roll.

The damage rating of a thrown wakizashi is 1k2

The range is pretty short (20' or so with any accuracy and force)

Just to be clear, Jotomon said actually said "Hato" which translates as "Dove". I just translated it for simplicity, though you can use either form. The way she said it makes it sound more like a nickname than an actual name.

- - - Temple Quarter - - -

After morning meditation Kaze, Kageko and Taka made their way to the Temple Quarter to visit the temples and make offerings. The Temple Quarter was very clean and quiet for being as large as it is. It almost seemed as if a fallen leaf could barely touch the ground before being swept up. The towering Temple of Daikoku dominated skyline, towering above even the next largest structures in the city. The blessing of the Fortune of Wealth must have certainly played a part in the prosperity of Ryoko Owari and the Temple reflected that, being easily the most extravagant temple any of the young magistrates had ever seen. The next largest temple was to Amaterasu. It was a large complex of several buildings, surrounded by a wall. Above the main temple structure was a large pole topped by a gleaming, orb of gold that seemed to reflect the rays of Amaterasu like another, smaller sun. 

Many other smaller temples and shrines filled the Quarter, along with living quarters, gardens, dojos, libraries, and other structures for the use of the priests, monks and miko that lived and dwelled there. Priests could be seen seeing to the daily activities of the temples while monks meditated, sparred and even played games. All throughout the quarter young miko could be found in their white kimono and red hakama, cleaning and decorating the temples in preparation for the nights festival.

12 hours ago, Noir said:

"In my studies of various forms of kenjutsu and juijitsu I have come to understand that the use of the sword and the empty hand are more similar than dissimilar. In as such I have developed a style of kenjutsu which incorporates movements that work with the empty hand as well, allowing seamless transition between the two. This is desirable in combat, as one never knows how they may be armed and at when they be at a range where grappling is more effective than the sword. I disarmed you using a variation of a technique from Kobo Ichi-Kai style of juijitsu, developed by the Crab, commonly called "Drunk Bushi". In this situation it allowed me to avoid your attack and appropriate your wakizashi after I had thrown my own. I have found in other situations though that a disarmed opponent often rethinks their course of action." Jotomon explained.

"Hmm," mused Rin, "much the same reason i have taken up various weapons to become familiar with them and learn their use. One never knows the situation one will find herself in and if your sword is not handy you must be still be able to perform your duty."

At the end of the lessons and discussions, when they made to depart. Rin bowed to Jotomon.

"This has been a great honor and we are very grateful for your time and instruction. If possible I would like to return during our stay and continue our lively discussions, and receive,"  She rubs her side exaggeratedly where Jotomon had struck her earlier. " more lessons." Rin smiles. "Also I am hosting a dinner tonight at the inn we are staying at. I would be honored doubly if would wish to attend?"

On 6/9/2016 at 8:57 PM, Noir said:

"Zoyu-san, I understand the distaste you may feel at the thought of throwing a wakizashi. It has come to be a symbol of one's honor to many, but never forget that even then it is still a weapon which which to serve our lords and fulfill our duties first, and a symbol second. We are bushi, first and foremost. If you would like to learn as well, then I would be honored to instruct one of Toshimoko-san's students."

"This is your Dojo, Kitsuki-sama, it would be my honour to learn whatsoever you wish to teach," Zoyu replied politely with a bow, though she had no real intention of ever using such a technique. If there was a situation in which she only had he wakizashi to hand, she would hardly through it away. Still, it would be good to learn to defend against such a technique.

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

Some time later, Zoyu was not so sure it was good to learn to defend against such a technique, her fingers and knuckles bruised and battered from deflecting - and often failing - the thrown wooden wakizashi. The sleek and striking Crane nodded in agreement with Rin with ingrained grace she did not quite feel. "You are modest in your estimation of you skill in Iaijutsu, this one believes, but your Kenjutsu is superlative. This one too would wish to learn more."

Zoyu cleaned her hands and wiped the sweat from her face, fixing her disheveled hair in preparation to leave, when she arched a questioning brow at Jotomon. "This one has a keen interest in promising practitioners of Iaijutsu and has not heard of one called Hato..." Zoyu trailed off leadingly, leaving Jotomon room to expound on the one called Hato. "Does she reside in Ryoko Owari?"

Jotomon nodded to Zoyu.

"Indeed she does. Hato is a ronin who works as a yojimbo for hire, and apparently is quite proficient at her trade, commanding a fee of one koku per week. Her skills are in high demand though and she is rarely without work, unless by choice. And as a yojimbo, iaijutsu is of great importance, as they rarely get the chance to draw their sword before danger presents itself.

I personally know of two separate occasions on which she has killed men in the city. In one instance a member of the Strong Arm Firemen was threatening a merchant she had been hired to protect. She struck him down with a single iaijutsu strike. In the other instance she slew three Fire Eaters by herself. She said the Fire Eaters had made violent advances and struk one down with iaijutsu before the others knew what happened and then dispatched the other two." the older Dragon recalled.

Jotomon noted the hint of confusion on the Crane's delicate features and gave her a knowing smile.

"You see, each neighborhood in Ryoko Owari has its own firemen. Some simply do their job and may even unofficially help police their neighborhoods. Others are little more than gangs who run protection rackets and are simple thugs. The Strong Arm Firemen and Fire Eaters are more the latter than the former." she explained.

Returning back to the subject of Dove, Jotomon continued,

"No one knows much about Hato's past, and as she is a ronin, I do not pry. She herself will say only that she was hired by the Crab for work in the Shadowlands before she came here, and that it was her experiences in the Shadowlands that turned her hair white.She is a rarity in this city for another reason as well. As I hear it, shortly after arriving she became addicted to opium. After some time as it's thrall, she managed to kick the habit. Few indeed are the people who manage to break free of the grip of opium.

I do not know where her home is, if she has one, but she can usually be found in here in the Merchant Quarter guarding a merchant or waiting for work at one of the inns. She is difficult to miss though, as I believe she is the only ronin in town with stark white hair."

- - - Kitsuki Jotomon's School of Bushido - - -

"I do thank you for your gracious offer, Rin-san, but the festival has been forthcoming for some time and I have made other plans." Jotomon said graciously with a polite bow to the other Dragon.

"You and your fellows are, of course, always welcome within these walls. If you will be in town for any length of time, then I will look forward to training again. We never stop our learning nor do we know where or from whom our next lesson come from." she added before bidding them farewell for the time being.

- - - The Marketplace - - -

Toshi approached the gaijin, offering to assist him, though he seemed to fair well enough. He spoke Rokugani with some fluency, though with a heavy accent. Over the course of their exchange he introduced himself as Jean-Pierre Deveraux (pronouced as "Jonu-Piaru Deburo/Devuro" in Rokugani).and explained that the practice of his people, and many gaijin for that matter, was to place their surname last. He was a somewhat tall man, with a fine mustache and thin beard. He wore a large hat with a floppy brim, pants, knee high boots of leather, shirt with loose sleeves a vest and a half cape over one shoulder.  In sheathes on his hips he carried a straight sword with an elaborate basket guard and a long dagger with a sold basket guard.

- - - Apple Blossom Inn - - -

Shortly after returning to the inn Zoyu was approached by Kimetsu with a broad smile on his face. 

"Ahhh! Welcome back. I hope my directions were adequate." he said, guiding the pair back into the inn.

"And you will be pleased to know that I have indeed location the lodging for your friend. I understand that the troupe will be performing in the parade tonight, which is quite an honor. The troupe is staying here in the merchant quarter, but far to the north. It is quite a distance. I can send my daughter to guide you if you wish, whenever you like of course." the round man said. 

"Indeed," Zoyu murmured, agreeing with Jotomon's statement about learning, and dipping her head, though she wouldn't be learning anything from the one called Hato at the moment. There was a place for ronin in the Empire, but what Dove could know could hardly compare with what she had learned at the Kakita Dueling Academy. "Until next we meet."

"The directions were satisfactory and your industriousness does you credit, Kimetsu," Zoyu said upon returning to the Apple Blossom Inn, well pleased that he had found where Bayushi Tsukiko was residing while in the City so swiftly. Zoyu mused for a moment, full lips pursed, then decided. "If you would send your daughter to simply guide me to where she is residing, it would count it a kindness. I must be here for Rin-san's dinner, but I believe I will reacquaint myself with Bayushi Tsukiko after seeing her perform in the parade."

Even this early in the morning, the city was bustling away, preparing for the festivities that evening. Easily sidestepping a pair of arguing merchants, he listened with half an ear as Kageko and Taka discussed some of the finer points of their crafts. Their destination that morning the temple to Amaterasu. To be followed by each of the fortunes as the day progressed. He had been thinking of exploring as well, but doing so on his own would have been foolhardy. He was confident in his abilities, but there was a difference between confidence and arrogance. There would be plenty of time for that as the week passed.

The temple, thankfully, was easy to find. The giant golden sphere did tend to draw the eye, particularly with how it reflected the risen sun. Stepping inside it was like someone hushed the rest of the world, sounds trailing into a calm serenity as the monks and miko went about their duties.

Kneeling before the altar, he made his offerings. Thanking the Kami for the fortune they bestowed on him, and praying that it might continue. He was admittedly brief with it, but he never felt particularly comfortable addressing the Kami so. Them and the ancestors, they either did or had done so much already. Asking for their aid felt.... not wrong, per se..... but incorrect, arrogant. He grimaced. It was hard to articulate, even in his own head. Perhaps it was something to discuss with Kageko at a later stage.

Sighing, he rose, the silken ribbons on his katana dancing in the slight breeze. Do not ask for more, but be thankful for what you receive. He would thank each in turn for what they bestowed. He turned to admiring the architecture. It would likely be a while before Kageko and Taka were done, and the day would likely be busy, visiting each temple in turn, but he could appreciate it in the quiet moments between trips. Maybe one of the monks would be willing to grant a tour. He shrugs, making his way to find one.

As the day continued on the young Magistrates went about their various business..

Kimetsu's daughter, Kiaku, guided Zoyu through the busy streets to the inn on the northern side of the Merchant Quarter and back to the Apple Blossom. It was quite a long way, but Kiaku knew her way through the city well and navigated through the crowds,temporary stages and shrines with ease.

Kaze, Kageko and Taka made their way around the Temple Quarter, visiting the various temples where they prayed and made offerings, spoke to the monks and simply enjoyed the architecture, scenery and serenity.

Toshi observed the gainjin in the market, gleaning what information he could from the tall man as he conducted some small business and made some purchases.

Rin managed to get several more hours of work on her tattoo since most people were busy with other things the day of the festival and not seeking tattoos.

As Lady Sun began to drift closer to the horizon the Magistrates all gathered back at the Apple Blossom, who's doorway is graced many flowers and festival banners. The dining room of the inn was busy with many people, mostly heimin merchants by the looks of them, aside from one table of three Cranes, catching a meal before the start of the festival and enjoying some quite conversation. Though a room with a half dozen quiet conversations going on is not exactly quiet. On the far side of the dining room, opposite of the door, were two small, private dining rooms, one of which Kimetsu had set aside from the Magistrate's feast. A pot of hot tea already sat on the table as the young magistrates begin to filter in and take seats.

The innkeeper's daughter, Kiaku, enters the private dining room along with her mother, Shinoko, bringing in the first course of the feast, along with fine sake and more tea. The food really is quite excellent, as is the sake and tea, and soon smiles play across the faces of dining Magistrates as they converse, tell tales and joke, all aided by the fine food and certainly the sake.

Fifteen or so minutes later the pair enter again in the usual fashion, bringing the next course, kneeling by the door, opening it and placing the trays inside, and then rises to enter the room, only to kneel and close the door again (unless requested to keep it open). The pair rises and steps toward the table. The delectable aroma of the dishes waft up from the bowls as they draw near and enormous crash, or possibly explosion, tears through the inn from behind them. Bits of ceramic and wood rip through door of the private dining room, blowing the doors off their tracks and sending a large piece of sharp wood through Kiaku's chest, causing her to fall to the floor in a heap, spilling the tray of food on the polished food floor. She lays there, gasping, her hands trembling.

Through the ripped wall you see an inhuman creature much larger than a man. It stands easily seven feet tall, with two small eyes, a massive mouth with many rows of teeth. It's flesh is red and glossy, like it was coated with a sheen of sweat and the skin along hit's back looks to be covered with bulbs or boils. The back of the head tapers into a long 'tail' ten to fifteen feet in length while from it's torso sprout two massive arms ending in clawed hands with two small whip-like tendrils sprouted below the arms on either side of the body. It stand upon two strong legs, each ending in a large clawed foot. A foul, brackish smell emanates from the thing. 

Spoiler

large.VisAid.jpg.51612478331d19c2b34b855

Laying at the feet of the thing, in a slowly growing puddle of crimson, is one of the Cranes. The thing grabs a second Crane by his throat and lifts him up above it's head with one arm, while the third Crane scrambles on the ground, backing away on his hands, feet and butt as he stares at the thing in utter terror.

Spoiler

All PCs need to make 2 rolls.

The first is a Fear check. It has a Fear of 2, so the TN for the Willpower roll is 10.

So roll all your Willpower dice and get to keep them all/ You need to equal or exceed a 10.

Failure means you cannot spend any void during this combat.

If you fail the roll you can default to an Honor roll. Successes gains you some honor and failure results in honor loss (Your strength of honor either was or wasn't strong enough to keep you focused).

The Death Trance advantage makes you immune to fear.

The second roll is Initiative. Remember, 10's explode for everybody on Initiative.

Base Initiative roll is 1k1+Reflexes.

The Quick advantage adds +1k0 making it 2k1+Ref 

Other things may add or alter the roll.

For example the Kakita Duelist Rank 1 Technique allows the bushi to also add their Iaijutsu score to their initiative result.

So a Quick Kakita Duelist would roll 2k1+Reflexes+Iaijutsu

Please post the results of the roll in the Combat Thread.

Keep in mind that everybody is unarmed. Your swords, knives and spell scroll satchels are most likely in the alcove by the door since you certainly took them with you when you left. Any other weapons are in your rooms or possibly in the alcove by the door.

• Matt changed the title to IC: L5R: Blood and Jade - With A Single Step
  • Matt pinned this topic

Archived