Aurik's thrust was once again repelled by the wall of silver. Tobias made his counter-argument.

"The warforged will find new purposes and lives for themselves. They've been given the freedom to do so. Their inventors will have to think for a world where the war is over."

A quick dart of silver light came out at Auriks, as Tobias continued. "There are far more people in Karrnath who aren't necromancers. If the Five Nations wanted more war, why did they sign the Treaty?"

Spoiler

Toughness
Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 16+10: 26

Silver Flare
Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 6+10: 16

That doesn't hit his Dodge...

Auriks sword attack (DC 23 Toughness.): 1D20+8 = [4]+8 = 12

... but that, in turn, doesn't hit Tobias' Parry.

"Because everyone knows this isn't the Last War, Tobias." Auriks swung wildly, deflecting off Tobias' defenses in a shower of silvery sparks. "Everyone saw what happened to Cyre and they decided to take a break, but trust me: as military commander, as the one on the wall, I can tell you that they're getting ready for another war. We fought for a hundred years. You think they're going to let grudges that deep go that quickly?"

"You seem intent on nursing yours."

Auriks took his eyes off Tobias, and blinked, stunned, at the Keeper. Tobias stole a look out of the corner of her eye, and saw her garbed in manifested armor made of silvery flame.

"That's... not... the Silver Flame is..."

"Back at the Cathedral, yes."

"Then how? Your power - without the Flame, you're - "

"Because, Auriks... the Silver Flame is with me even here. It is at my side. It is carried in the soul of this young man who knows what you have forgotten. We found out who he is, you see. We searched, and with a little help, we found it."

Tobias was startled by the statement that the Keeper made. He wasn't sure what there really was to him beyond the orphanage, disgraced parents, and his study in the Church. Wrenching his mind back to the problem of the betraying Auriks... "I would think a hundred years of war would tire people's enthusiasm for it. Besides, if we make clear we're willing to put the War in the past, others will feel easier doing the same. Please, surrender Auriks. This is pointless."

Spoiler

Holding action for the moment.

Auriks looked at the Keeper, then at Tobias, and the sword slipped from his fingers. He slumped to the floor, defeated.

"There's going to be another war. It's coming." He spoke, mostly to himself, as Tobias wrenched the disc off the door, allowing the guards to come in and handle Auriks. "And this one won't end with Cyre, my Keeper. There will be one nation standing, and so help me: all I wanted was for it to be ours."

The Keeper didn't say a thing as Auriks was led away, his mystical sword kept at arm's length should he establish some kind of connection. Once he was gone, she turned to Tobias, looking somewhat healthier... but not by much.

"Sadly, he may be right. Auriks may be sunk too deep in the mire of militarism, but I do read his reports. But that is a matter for another time. Tobias, you're obviously wondering why I spoke of you the way that I did?"

“Legend tells of… excuse me…” She leaned on him for support, pausing for breath, and Tobias could feel a surge of flame within him, connecting them.

“We had to dig through quite a number of tomes, but there is a legend of how, in times of trouble, there will be someone not empowered by the Flame, so much as hosting a piece of it, possessing powers and abilities far beyond any one cleric or paladin. That’s what flame does, after all. It spreads. It’s spread into you. I am empowered by the Silver Flame because you carry it within you, just as surely as I would be empowered were I back at the Grand Cathedral.

“The legends gave women and men like yourself a name, Tobias. A name that’s been perverted by zealots like the Silver Torch, but your name first and foremost.

“They called you the Torchbearer.”

The explanation made Tobias' eyes bug out in shock. The Silver Flame had chosen to split itself off into him? Ever more so, this pushed the question of why? The one hundred years of war were over. There should be peace and recovery, right? A memory replayed, of the Keeper speaking of the new initiative. What he had done.

"I... I need to go out there. Out of Thrane. I think the Flame wants me go. The new initiative."

The Keeper thought for a long moment, then nodded.

"While here, I have the Flame - and wherever you went, the Flame would follow, empowering me just as surely as it does here. But more than that, Tobias... you are right. The worries of war, or worse, are mounting. But what Auriks failed to understand is that there are many ways to win a conflict. There is his way, and there is mine.

"He would dismiss it as charity, as if charity was not reason enough. But kindness wins a war, because with kindness one forgets why there must be war. When one's needs are looked after, there is no need to kill the next person over and take their share. I think this, as much as the Flame, is your weapon, Tobias. You were kind in the square. You're a fine example of us all. If you wish to leave Thrane, you are given my permission... though I do have to ask what you'll be doing first."

"I'm not sure." Tobias admitted. A reminder of Auriks' vehement words flickered across his mind, and an answer came to him. "Actually, I think I'll go to Karrnath. I doubt the populace has the same appetite for making corpses as the necromancers." And as one of the major foci of the Last War, bringing peace and respite would go a long way towards averting the horrific next war that Auriks' ilk foresaw.

The Keeper nodded. "That is quite far from our base of power... but perhaps that is why it's the best place for you to go. Very well then. Once we've cleaned up here and I'm well enough to survive on my own, you'll be set to depart. Is there any message that you'd prefer to be passed on to those you're about to leave behind, or is that something you'd rather communicate in person?"

She nodded. "We'll see to your accommodations. You'll depart on our sturdiest caravan. The initiative grows strong with you in it, Tobias."

The days passed. The halfling priestess Fairhollow was quite happy to learn that all was well, though she was shocked at Auriks' power play. She chose to accompany Tobias on his pilgrimage.

Once they had departed, Tobias spent his days on the road to Karrnath, contemplating two things. First, the advice that the Keeper had passed on to him - that the hearth would need tending, and the hearth would need protection, and that both would be his duty. To administer aid to the sick and the weary, and to protect them from any who'd wish them harm. To show the people of Thrane's worst enemy that they did not need to be enemies... but also, that if the path of adversity was what they chose, then those who sought warmth by the Silver Hearth would be defended.

The second thing was something Fairhollow dug up while researching what a "Torchbearer" was. An illustration of many of the rumored Torchbearers of old, showing a commonality in the raiment that they wore. The same colors and the same designs, different for each Torchbearer, but of a common lineage. Tobias felt the weight of history as he ran his fingers over the illustrations.

There was an ancient mantra that had entered the lexicon of the paladins of the Silver Flame that, it was revealed, had begun as a focusing chant for the Torchbearers, passed down as needed. In the face of the uncertainty the future held, Tobias found it soothing.

With righteous might, in good's own name
We stand against the powers profane
Where most is needed acts humane
There shall we fight -
With Silver Flame!

TO BE CONTINUED...

...in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF EBERRON #1!

Archived