POLL# 2 A Further Refinement

Nina

A Breack Down of the Three Highest Vote Winners  

12 members have voted

1. 1. SuperHeroes

• Four Color (Basic Comic Book Style as portrayed in the rpgs Champions, Mutants & Masterminds, and a host of others.)
    • Street Level (Batman, Dare Devil, grittier and darker than the four color)
    • An Established Setting (Marvel, DC, any of the independent publishers out there.)
    • Other (Please explain with a reply)
  2. 2. Modern With Powers

• Psionic (Good examle are the Movies Push, Firestarter, Scanners, etc. and the RPGs Psi World, Psionics, etc. Normal people who have developed Psychic powers, in a normal world like todays world.
    • Magic ( Such as Mage (without the WOD Baggage), Dresden Files, Sorcerers Apprentice, Constantine, any number of Urban Fantasy worlds. Some fantasy beings would probably exist but would not be a focus. NOT Shadow World.
    • Other (Please Explain with a reply below)
  3. 3. SciFi/Space Opera

• Star Wars (more Spcae Fantasy but this is where I will put it anyways)
    • Post Apocalypse (while not set in space it has many scifi tropes, robots, rayguns, mutants. Always a fun genre.)
    • Straight Up Space Opera (very broad genre examples could include Star Trek, Firefly, Babylon 5, and many more too numerous to mention.
    • Specific Setting (please make Reply below)
    • Other (Plase reply below)

After a few day it is clear that we have Three Genres which are arguably in the lead, What I wish to do now is break these down for a more coherent look at them.

As with the previous poll vote for as many as interest you.

Comments are welcome as long as they are on topic.

Thank you

Okay, here's my "other" explanation under Superheros. To be inclusive, the game somehow has to support a wide variety of interests and character types. Street level is fine, but big stories are usually beyond its scale. Four color is fine, but it blocks some of the more interesting gray areas you can have with people who like to put on uniforms and take the law into their own hands. ;) I think if we go superhero, we need a game that can support all the possible heroes out there.

Yeah, having a metric f-ton of options availiable to potential characters in a superhero setting is great. I personally like four color as it does fly loose with reality, but I do like settings where a superhero doesn't wear spandex and a cape, but perhaps some camos and a what-not working off an aircraft carrier as a Navy officer, or is a actual fireman...

...but has room for the capes and tights characters too.

Oh and as an addendum... flying does make commutes hella easier. And not in a helicopter. :3
Also think of all the achievements in aeronautics you'd have with an immortal test pilot.

Okay so I've voted.  A bit of explanation on my part.  I clicked on "Other" in both Super Heroes and Modern with Powers because I think something like a  mutants/X-men game could easily fit in either category. That goes the same for Aberrant.  Abbie, as originally envisioned was never really a "super hero" game but more a "people with powers" game.

I also chose "Other" in Sci-Fi because you missed a rather big category ( a couple really)  the first is Hard Sci-Fi like what is presented in the Traveller game or in Eclipse Phase or even Alternity.  The second is cross time/cross-dinesional games for things like Stargate or Sliders.

However overall I have to agree with a lot of what Carver said aboutthe inclusivity of a sandbox game.  Going with a supers game I think the best way to look at it would be as more of a comic book company/franchise rather than a specific game.  The big two comic companies were very good at creating comics to fit a variety of Genres & sub genres from "cosmic" adventures (Like the Guardians ofthe Galaxy and Legion of the Super Heroes) tostandard 4 color faire, (Avengers and Justice league), to the grim and gritty (certain Batman titles, Punisher etc.)  and alternate universe varients that allowed them to explore more "realistic" takes on characters (Marvel's Ultimate universe and the current cinematic universes of both companies)  Even horror and supernatural styles have been woven in to the continuities.

In short, if you go in to the game world design that anything done in comics should be allowed then you will probably reach maximum saturation for interest.  I have other ideas on how to make a sandbox Supers game work as I was discussing that very thing the other week with Matt and others in the chat, but that is fuel for another topic.

7 hours ago, Jordan said:

Okay so I've voted.  A bit of explanation on my part.  I clicked on "Other" in both Super Heroes and Modern with Powers because I think something like a  mutants/X-men game could easily fit in either category. That goes the same for Aberrant.  Abbie, as originally envisioned was never really a "super hero" game but more a "people with powers" game.

I also chose "Other" in Sci-Fi because you missed a rather big category ( a couple really)  the first is Hard Sci-Fi like what is presented in the Traveller game or in Eclipse Phase or even Alternity.  The second is cross time/cross-dinesional games for things like Stargate or Sliders.

However overall I have to agree with a lot of what Carver said aboutthe inclusivity of a sandbox game.  Going with a supers game I think the best way to look at it would be as more of a comic book company/franchise rather than a specific game.  The big two comic companies were very good at creating comics to fit a variety of Genres & sub genres from "cosmic" adventures (Like the Guardians ofthe Galaxy and Legion of the Super Heroes) tostandard 4 color faire, (Avengers and Justice league), to the grim and gritty (certain Batman titles, Punisher etc.)  and alternate universe varients that allowed them to explore more "realistic" takes on characters (Marvel's Ultimate universe and the current cinematic universes of both companies)  Even horror and supernatural styles have been woven in to the continuities.

In short, if you go in to the game world design that anything done in comics should be allowed then you will probably reach maximum saturation for interest.  I have other ideas on how to make a sandbox Supers game work as I was discussing that very thing the other week with Matt and others in the chat, but that is fuel for another topic.

The first Poll covered your First two paragraphs. Neither of those selections eneded in the top three.

This poll is strictly looking at the top three vote winners from that poll.

I picked "other" in the first two categories. For Supers and Powers, much like Jordan I was thinking of Aberrant and X-men like games. For Sci-Fi, I love the Babylon 5/Star Trek/Firefly settings and tropes, and I chose 'Specific Setting' because I'd love to get a Thirteen game going on the site (no bias there at all :P). 

Archived