Rin nods her agreement with Zoyus words and adds one thing.

"Also if no Miko, perhaps there were children or a child, a girl or boy even, orphans from the battle or other events that occurred around that time, that any of you may recall?"

Again she watches the reactions of the monks to both the questions and any answers given.

[Nina] 8:42 am: witness rins awearness roll
[Asarasa] 8:42 am: What browser do you use? Chrome, Firefox, other?
Nina *rolls* 2d10: 4+9: 13
[Asarasa] 8:42 am: I shall WITNESS all Shiny and Chrome!
[Nina] 8:42 am: ty

in case a roll is needed

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"As a Kakita, Topaz Champion, and a Jade Magistrate, on behalf of the Crane, I would like to express our thanks for all you have done for the town of Jinpachi despite the... difficulties imposed by the late Lord Hediji. And should we find the uba, be assured, we will seek you for the aid offered."

The monks all bowed deeply in thanks.

"We simple do as the Tao instructs." the elder monk says humbly.

"Though we have done what we can, the person who has really done the most to help and protect Jinpachi is Hito, a local ronin who arrived around the time of the fall of the Okimoto. He was one of Fumiko's yojimbo who stayed behind when she continued on. I guess he felt a calling. Since that day he has done more for Jinpachi than the Hideji or the local doshin. He has protected caravans of local merchants, guarded warehouses when they are full of goods, chased bandits off into the hills, helped us pursue the uba and many more things. Far too many to mention. Most of the locals go to him first now, instead of the doshin or yoriki. In return, the townspeople always have odd jobs for him or a warm meal. He is a good man, and an example of the honor even a ronin can display."

When the topic moved to te miko, shock and confusion rippled among the assembled monks.

"The miko? They are just girls." said the monk with rake.

The elder monk, your guide, raised a hand to quiet his fellow monk before he began to speak,

"Some of the miko are orphans, yes. After the battle, and the fall of the Okimoto, there was much hardship. Most of the Okimoto bushi were killed in the battle. Of those that survived, seppuku was common."

"As was jigai..." one the gardening monks added.

The elder monk nodded and let out a small sigh as he began to explain,

"When it was obvious that the battle would be lost, many of the noble Okimoto wives began performing jigai, on their children and themselves, to avoid being dishonored... It is said that Lord Okimoto's own wife was about to perform jigai on her children, and then herself, for she knew the kind of man the late Lord Hideji was. She was stopped by the Hideji, and instead executed... An indignity that earned the late Lord Hideji no friends in Jinpachi." 

"The family was never a large one to begin with. Between the battle, jigai, seppuku and the executions, few of the former Okimoto, of any age, were left. Those who survived, now ronin, were not welcomed by the Hideji. The handful of adult survivors traveled away with their children (if any), to seek work elsewhere. At our request, some of them, demonstrating that the devotion to bushido of the Lion still rested in their hearts, showed their compassion and took an orphan boy with them. Life as a ronin is hard enough, but trying to feed, clothe and raise children as a ronin? That I can hardly conceive of. At least boys would stand a better chance of survival as a ronin."

"We gathered as many of the orphan girls as we could and took them in as miko. Lord Hideji was a brash and cruel man, but even he knew he could not violate the protection that the temple offered. Maybe that is why he never supported the temple... an attempt to make the life of the girls as hard as possible... or just raw spite. I do not know either way. But the townspeople, either out of simple devotion to the temple, or out of some respect of the Okimoto, stepped in to keep the temple opened and maintained, thereby protecting these girls. We have raised them here at the temple, as miko. It is a simple life, far from that of a samurai, but it is still a life and is fulfilling it its own way. We do not talk to them about their heritage. It is hard enough knowing you are an orphan. They do not need the extra sorrow of their past heaped on as well. Thankfully most were small enough when we took them in to not really remember much of their lives as Okimoto.With luck, they will all have long, quiet lives."

"The few orphan girls we could not reach were gathered by Lord Hideji and sold to Fumiko, as a final indignity to the Okimoto no doubt." the monk with the rake said with a hint of disgust evident in his voice.

"Fumiko calls herself a 'talent scout'. She travels the region, going to remote villages and smaller towns which lack geisha houses, and buys girls from parents who have fallen on hard times. This gives her a much greater pool from which to find girls who she then takes to the various geisha houses in the region, selling their contract to the various Okasan. We would have bought their contracts and brought them here if we could, but the temple does not have that kind of resources. And who knows where they even are now." the elder monk explained.

"As I recall though, Akiko and Kumiko were furious with Fumiko for even coming to town to buy girls. They were even yelling in the street." one of the gardening monks says with a small snort before continuing,

"You see, Jinpachi has two geisha houses now, but at that time there were none. Akiko and Kumiko had just recently arrived, but I think they had not yet opened their doors. Well, for whatever reason, the Hideji sold the girls to Fumiko, which upset Akiko and Kumiko. Since that time though, I think Fumiko has only come to sell contracts, so it would seem they worked things out, at least for the sake of business."

The elder monk then spoke once again,

"To our knowledge, the miko are the only former Okimoto left in Jinpachi, but most of them do not even know their heritage, and we have talked to those that do, counseling and helping them. They are miko now, and like daughters to us. We cannot imagine them being involved with any of this. We can certainly show you to the shack at any time, if it still stands."

The monks seem quite honest and sincere in their shock and confusion about the questions about the miko as well as the stories they relayed.

- - - WARNING: This note is about another form of ritual suicide (aside from seppuku) and involves women and children - - -

Jigai: The equivalent of seppuku for non-samurai-ko women and children, often committed by cutting the jugular vein. The Kaiken, a long, slim aiguchi, is the preferred weapon used for performing jigai, however Crab women often used a Naginata to behead themselves instead. Before committing jigai, a woman would often tie her ankles together so that her body would be found in a demure pose despite the convulsions of death as well as to stop herself from thrashing around and causing herself shame.

A male child who had not yet passed his gempukku was also allowed to kill himself through jigai and little girls were taught jigai from their early years. It was not unusual, when a fortress was failing, that not only women but also children of both sexes between age 3 and 14 killed themselves through jigai, cutting their main veins or pushing the tanto or kaiken into their hearts. Such suicides were sometimes committed en masse to avoid being captured, displaced or dishonored. If a child were too small and/or unable to do so themselves, then a parent would aid them.

One of Ino's eyebrows raised slightly at Toshi's comment.

"Thrived? You are too kind, Toshi-san." the older Scorpion said with a small, polite bow of his head.

"I would not say that I have thrived, but I do manage to get by." he humbly offered with a small smile.

"The Crane are too busy with the Lion and Phoenix for me to be much concern to them." the Scorpion explained.

"So tell me, Toshi-san, what brings you to Jinpachi and caused you to seek me out? I am nothing more than a simple businessman, after all." Ino asked curiously.

"And please, invite your friend to join us. Nobody should dine alone when there are friends about." he added.

"Ah, yes." Toshi turned and made a small gesture for Taka to join them. "Ino-san, may I introduce Kuni Taka. Kuni-san, this is Shosuro Ino. Kuni-san was a fellow competitor at the Topaz Championship, and now, a fellow Jade Magistrate as well. Our group was traveling when Lord Hideji's emissaries approached us and offered hospitality for a few days. We accepted. Yesterday, Kuni-san heard of you from the abbot, and I admit my curiosity was piqued to hear of one of the clan in this location."

Ino and Taka exchanged bows as they were introduced with Taka taking a seat at Ino's table afterwards.

"The Topaz Championship?" he said in surprise.

"Then congratulations to both of you on completing such a difficult and prestigious gempuku. And congratulations on being appointed to the newly reborn jade Magistrates. To have earned such an honor already must speak volumes about you. I was unaware I was in such esteemed company. My apologies." Ino said with a small, polite bow of the head.

The Scorpion then looked over to Kiomi, who came to the table promptly. Though Ino claimed to be just a simple business man and not the owner of the sake house, the staff certainly showed him great respect and attention.

"Please bring some fresh dishes for my new friends. And good sake too." he asked her, to which she nodded and withdrew to the kitchen.

With Kiomi gone to bring new food, Ino returned his attention to the young magistrates.

"Heard of me from the abbot? Nothing unsavory, I hope." he commented.

"So, if I may ask, is this an official visit as duly appointed magistrates, or a casual talk among newfound friends?" Ino asked as he looked one magistrate in the eye and then the other, waiting for a response.

Rin ponders what she hears, now more questions, what had seemed a bright thought become murky as if the clear waters have had the mud at the bottom churned.

She give Zoyu a slight shrug.

"We thank you, it may seem unusual, our questions, but you have been very helpful.  As Kakita-san has said we will need a guide to this shack you mentioned we will return when that time comes."

Zoyu looks thoughtful a moment then says her farewells to the monks.

The two leave and head to town to visit the geisha houses and the tattooist

Akari nods.   The Sodan-Senzo's Ancestor Spells were always intriguing.  Shame the Isawa can't use them, it would be so useful.

"Agreed, Kitsu-san.  Benten's touch should at least make them see us more positively."  Akari is not as graceful as Kageko, but her movements were still fitting for a lady in her rank and position.

Akari headed for the outer gate with Kageko in tow.  She heads to the nearest staff worker and asks if they know who was on duty the previous night and where to find them.  Since by now a shift change or two has happened.

Kageko motions Akari to the stable, as Rin and Zoyu already spoke to the gate guards. The pair walk into the stables of the Hideji and were greeted by the distinctive smell of such. The stablehands were at work grooming, feeding and cleaning the horses and one looked up, noting the arrival of the samurai. He quickly stepped out from behind the hours and walked over, brush still in hand, and bowed deeply.

"How can I assist you, samurai-sama?" he asked

"Gather all the stablehands." Akari said as she presented her jade orb. "We would like to speak with them."

"And if any are asleep, wake them. We wish to speak to all of them." Kageko added.

The man bowed and backed away to gather the others. After just a couple of minutes they all stood assembled in the stable, standing shoulder to shoulder. With just a glance it was easy to tell they were several generations of a family, ranging from roughly ten to fifty years of age.

"We are investigating the murder of the late Lord Hideji Fumiya and want to know if any of you might have seen anybody come in or out of the gates last night, aside from our fellow magistrates."

The stablehands looked a bit wide-eyed, half scared and half confused. The began to shake their heads and answer in the negative with the exception of a boy, maybe twelve years of age.

"I..." the boy said, almost frightened to speak up.

"I saw somebody." he finally finished with the urging of what appeared to be his father.

"I often see someone entering and leaving the castle late at night. I saw them last night too, after everyone else went to bed." he added.

"Why were you up so late?" Kageko asked curiously. it was odd for young stable boy to be awake at such a late hour.

"I always check on the horses at night. Something within the castle... it seems to make them often restless at night. I check on them and calm them down, sometimes with a brushing." the boy replied.

"It is usually late and I am used to it and know my way around the stables, so I usually do not even light a lantern. I do not think the guards even know I am in the stables that late, without a lantern. I.. I was not trying to spy though. It is just easier to get back to sleep if I keep it dark. " he explained, almost fearfully.

"Do you know who it was? Or at least what they looked like?" Akari asked hopefully.

The boy shook fearfully his head, afraid his answer would irritate.

"I am sorry, but I do not know who it was or what they looked like. It is always a lone, cloaked figure, late at night. The guards... they let them in and through the next gate. I think the other gates too. I cannot see them, but at night, when it is quiet, I can sometimes hear the following gate opening and closing. And sometimes, I think I can hear the innermost gate as well. It is hard to tell though. It must be a calm night and very quiet." the boy explained.

"I... I am sorry I did not see more."

"You saw plenty." Kageko said the boy reassuringly.

"You honor your family with your dedication to your job and these fine horses. I am sure your parents are proud to have such a dutiful son." the little Lion soothed.

"Thank you for your assistance. It has been most helpful." Akari said with a bow, which was returned with deeper bows from the stablehands before the pair of magistrates left the stables.

"Hmm... If the boy is to be believed, and I see little reason not to at this point, then it would seem the guards were concealing this frequent, late night visitor..." Kageko said to Akari quietly as they began to search for more servants.

Toshi decided, given Ino's advice, to let the rest of it, all those things percolating in his mind, away and locked for future notice. "The one, ill-advised - as you pointed out - topic was relating to business. As that is settled, the rest is friendly conversation. And as for your compliments, they are too great. In large part, we were simply at the right place at the right time. I am curious though - is Jinpachi at the right place and the right time for any worthwhile theater troupes?"

"Jinpachi, though prosperous for its size, it not quite large enough to reliably support a theater. Occasionally troupes do pass through, though an outdoor stage must be erected in order for them to perform, or they perform for Lord Hideji in the castle." Ino answered.

"Even then I would think that performing in the castle would be cramped. I doubt the Lion made allowances for performance space when they built Shiro Hideo so many centuries ago." the older Scorpion chuckled with a smile.

"If you are seeking entertainment though, then there are only a few consistent form of entertainment in town. A a fine sake house, such as this, for example. I generally find a jar of good sake and some good company here most enjoyable. There are regulars, of course, but a significant part of the clientele is ever changing as merchants pass through. I enjoy that variety as well as catching up with merchant friends when they pass through again. It almost allows me to travel the Empire without even leaving my table." Ino explains with a smile, looking around the room.

"One could also hire some pleasing company for an evening. Both the House of the Cheery Blossom and The House of the Pines offer such. If you ever sought such diversion during your visit to our small town, then I would be honored to formally introduce such esteemed new friends to the Okasan." he offered.

"Both Okasan hail from Otosan Uchi, so the quality of each establishment is almost unheard of for a town of this size. They must still have many friends in the Imperial City, for they both stay up to date on the latest fashions and trends. Our own little piece of Otosan Uchi one might say." Ino mused with a smile.

"The House of the Pines is a bit more exclusive though. Kumiko can be very... selective... when it comes to new clientele. It typically takes some time and effort to get an invitation, if you get one at all. Though new clients of your esteem might find the process expedited." he explains.

Ino then leaned a little closer and glanced around the room before speaking slightly more softly,

"And just between friends, for those who seek a little more of a thrill, I have heard rumor of a place where one might enjoy some monetary risk and reward as well."

"I could ask around to locate such an establishment if you wished. Some friends seeking some entertainment with a bit of thrill might be welcomed, if there were such a place, that is. Though I doubt Magistrates looking for it would find it anything more than a rumor." the Scorpion said.

His words were clearly selected with well-practiced care to get a point across while still maintaining polite etiquette and leaving him able to feign innocence and ignorance if things went sour. Seeking out an illegal gambling den as Magistrates would get them nowhere. If they wished to visit the gambling den to investigate, or speak with proprietor, then they would clearly have to look the other way and make it an unofficial visit...

The two samurai walk away from the temple each lost in their thoughts. Several time both begin to speak but in the end both are silent as each weighs what she has heard and learned with what she knows and expected.

“It is still early for the geisha houses we must follow etiquette.”

Says the beautiful Topaz Champion.

“We will come to the Tattoo shop first anyway, and they will not care one way or the other.”

Says the taciturn Dragon.

Soon they find themselves in the small shop the wall covered with exquisite drawings. The wizened old tattooist smoking his pipe rises and gives a deep bow to the two.

“Topaz Champion-sama, Dragon-sama you hornor this poor artist, welcome. Welcom.” he hurridly sets a stool for Zoyu leving the bench for Rin.

“I know that I am early but circumstances have altered my Plans.”

'No no Dragon-sama I am here to serve.”

“Hmmph, please while we are here and we are working you are the master. I insist you call me Rin, no more Dragon-sama. There are few things more intimate than this and I will carry it forever, so Taro, while I am the subject of your needle I am just Rin.”

Zoyu frowns at this unorthodox discarding of formalities. The old man turns to her.

“Please sit I wish I could offer more comfort to such an august personage. I will call for tea, or would you prefer something else, Sake perhaps?”

“No tea is fine...” Zoyu, instead of sitting steps closser to teh drawings on the wall pursing her sultry lips in contemplation.

Taro smiles.

"Please any that you find attractive, it would be a great Honor to adorn The topaz Champion."

Rin interrupts, as she takes a sheet of paper from the desk where Taro does his drawing and begins sketching.

“I have changed my mind about the hummingbird. I wish you to tattoo this instead.”

tHIS ROLL IS FOR DRAWING THE CROW.

[Nina] 4:16 pm: witness my roll

[Asarasa] 4:16 pm: I'll be right back, just need to get my plate of hotdogs

[Asarasa] 4:16 pm: Okay!

[Asarasa] 4:16 pm:     

Nina *rolls* 5d10: 7+7+5+4+10: 33

[Nina] 4:16 pm: it 5k4

[Asarasa] 4:16 pm: I witness!

Nina *rolls* 1d10: 3: 3

[Asarasa] 4:17 pm: You got a 10, explode?

[Asarasa] 4:17 pm: 32?

[Nina] 4:17 pm: 32

[Asarasa] 4:17 pm: Pretty good

[Nina] 4:17 pm: yup1

[Nina] 4:17 pm: thanks

tHE DRAWING OF THE CROW

Taro peers over Rins shoulder at the drawing.

Rin catches Zoyus questioning eye and shakes her head slightly

“You still wish the outline only?”

“To begin with yes, but I think in the end I will want you to do the whole piece, the outline and an appropriate background. You may make and improvements on the sketch and we do not have to start today if you would like to think of your approach.”

“Yes that would be good I will have to approach this in a different manner, the meaning of such is different, may I inquire as the the nature of the change?”

“This is something I do not wish to forget. But there are other things which will be taking up our time here. As you have no doubt heard there was a crime committed at the castle last night. I wish to ask your help.”

“Of course, anything I can do I will, but I do not know how I can help.”

“Good, Knowledge is important in all these sorts of thing and you have been here for a very long time. Many have come through that door for your services. And just as you told me of the Fall of the Okimoto I just want to know more, we want to know more. But first do you recognize this?”

She produces the bead and hands it to Taro.

“Do know if anyone in town makes these?”

Taro looks at the bead closely, rubbing his chin with one hand while the other holds the pipe he puffs on.

"A bead? I do not know off-hand, but there are many artisans and craftsmen in town. Most sell their wares in the market place on the other side of town and across from the Golden Peony." he answered.

"Strange though..." he said to himself, thinking aloud.

"What is strange?" Rin inquired.

"Hmm? Oh, I am sure it is nothing. Just musings of an old mind." the old man said with a chuckle and small smile.

"Anything you know may be able to help." Rin implored.

"Well..." the man said as he puffed on his pipe and thought for a moment, "It does remind me of the Okimoto colors, but I have not seen those colors around here for over a decade though. The craftsmen are generally going to cater to the locals since we are off of the main road, so with the Crane here, blues, white, grays and silver are the dominant colors used by craftsmen hoping to make a sale to a Crane with some money. That makes it kind of odd to see this here in Jinpachi anymore, unless it was from old item leftover from the days of the Okimoto I guess." Taro explained.

"I suppose it could have been made for a Phoenix though too... Maybe if one knew they were coming to town, but that would be a bit of a gamble." he mused.

"Hmm. Odd." he said with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Please any that you find attractive, it would be a great Honor to adorn The topaz Champion."

"A tattoo is not an idea I have thought about," Zoyu murmured, perusing the sketches hanging on the walls. Her eyes lingered on one depicting a fall of sakura blossoms, the detail quite exquisite. "I may have to reconsider. If I do so, be reassured, you will be in my thoughts, Taro-san."

Taro beamed a smile around the stem of his pipe, proud that so august a personage as the Topaz Champion would consider him to adorn her pristine, ivory flesh.

While Rin spoke of the changes to the tattoo she desired and asked after the bead, Zoyu continued perusing the sketches, though she kept an ear tuned to the conversation. When the elderly horishi* finished speaking, Zoyu turned gracefully to face him and Rin, head tilted questioningly.

"Odd, perhaps, but the bead, it is one clue we have," Zoyu said with a gentle briskness. "You mentioned the colour is one not newly seen. But what of something old? Do you know of any in Jinpachi that may have held onto garments or accessories in the colours of the Okimoto since the time the Hediji first... arrived?" Zoyu's lush lips briefly curved in a faint frown upon mentioning the arrival of the Hediji and the ugliness the ensued. "It is understandable one would not to wear them under the rule of the late Lord Hediji, but such things may have been held onto for sentimental reasons, yes?"

"Speaking of the Okimoto and that which adorns them," Rin added brusquely, but not accusingly. "You revealed that you and your family had the honour of tattooing the Okimoto themselves with the mon of their family. Do you know of any in Jinpachi who bare such a mark or one of a comparable likeness?"

[Asarasa] 5:34 pm: Rolling Awareness + Investigation: 2k2, 10s no explode
Asarasa *rolls* 2d10: 1+5: 6
[Asarasa] 5:34 pm: wah-wah
[Noir] 5:34 pm: ouch

"None of the former Okimoto remain in Jinpachi, to my knowledge. The few ronin that were left departed town right after their fall." Taro replied.

"Though..." the old man said before pupping on his pipe again, "...it would have been likely that some craftsmen had unsold items crafted for the Okimoto, and Lion Clan in general, at the time the castle changed hands. I suppose they could have held onto the items in hopes the Lion would quickly retake the castle, or some could have retained a few items out of sentimentality. If they did though, they would not be openly displayed and certainly not worn." he explained thoughtfully.

"I have not seen the mon of the Okimoto on anybody in over a decade though. When they would complete their gempukku, the Okimoto would come to us to be tattooed. That had been the way of things for generations. They would all receive the tattoo on the chest, to always keep their family close to their heart, and the bushi, which was most of them, would also get on on the back of their sword hand, so that their enemies would always know it was an Okimoto that they were were facing when they reached for their sword." Taro answered as he rummaged through a stack of drawings and pulled one out, showing it to Zoyu.

gallery_185_75_23665.jpg

"The mon pays homage to the Matsu mon, a single lion's paw holding a katana, but also reflects the Okimoto and their ferocity in battle. Or so I was told. My ancestors assisted the first Okimoto in the design of the mon and my family had been tattooing them ever since. " Taro explained, with a hint of pride.

"I am sure some of the monks at the temple bare the mon, but if they do, they would keep it covered as they ceased being an Okimoto when they became a monk. They are the only ones I can think of that might bare the mon, though I cannot imagine the monks doing anything criminal." he commented and puffed on his pipe again.

"Thank you most kindly." Toshi assented, filing this away for later. "I will keep your offers in mind." At this point Toshi left things to talk of developments of the arts, this and that of not substantive nature, conversation to simply cement a connection for now.

Eventually, Toshi and Taka made their farewells and departed, with Toshi's intentions to seek and acquire a courier's services to send his letter to Seppun Kyushi. However, shortly in, they ran into Shun, whom volunteered to ride to Honored Treaty City and bring the letter himself.

Given this was swifter, Toshi accented to this.

"Hito?" the old man asked, perking up slightly and nodding.

"He arrived around the time the castle changed hands and settled in Jinpachi, more or less. A guard on a caravan, I think. He does odd jobs around town usually and when there is a problem, he is there to help. He has done a great deal for Jinpachi. He acts swiftly and does not discount our concerns and problems, and never with any thought of payment either." Taro said as he tapped out his pipe.

"If you got a problem, then you go see Hito." he says with a smile, almost like reciting some slogan.

"He's driven off bandits, caught thieves, protected caravans and helps out when he can. When there are lots of merchants and goods in town he is hired to guard warehouses or help keep some of the sake houses from getting too rowdy. When he's not hired for something like that or helping with some problem, then the townspeople give him work, like splitting wood or helping in the fields or some such. He is not afraid of work, I can tell you that. Sometimes he is is paid in coin and other times with a hot meal or some sake." the old man recounted as he opened a small box and began to pack his pipe.

"I am not sure why he settled here though. He is a good and honorable man by what I have seen and head of him. With the skills and courage he has demonstrated here, he could go to a bigger city and find much more steady and lucrative employment, I am sure." Taro mused, pausing from packing his pipe for a moment.

"Some say he settled here to make amends for some past transgression he committed that burdens his soul. Others say he stays because he has a death mark or bounty on his head, so going to a big city would be near suicide for him, therefore he remains here. I really do not know what keeps him here, though we are glad to have him." he offered as he began to light his pipe, puffing on it steadily.

"I know gossip is of little concern to samurai, but I hear that he is sweet on a young geisha at the House of The Pines, but ol' Kumiko will have none of it, not that he could pay even if she did invite him. So it may be a forbidden love that keeps him here." Taro says with a grin.

"If you are looking for him, it's about even odds between him being at the Golden Peony, doing some odd job around town, or at his shack on the other side of town, across the river and near the eta village and graveyard." he explains.

Back to the monks again, Zoyu mused as she listened attentively as Taro revealed what he knew of the Okimoto mon and those that bore. But I do not believe they have anything to do with Lord Hediji's death. The tales of this Ronin called Hito sounded more promising - not necessarily as a suspect, but as someone intimate with the troubles besetting Jinpachi. The monks at the Temple had spoken well of him too.

"Thank-you for your time and your words, Taro-san," Zoyu said, dipping her head, "but for now, we shall take our leave of you."

The Crane and the Dragon left the Tattoist's shop together. Zoyu glanced up, judging the time of day by the height of Amaterasu in the sky, then arched a brow at Rin.

"Shall we seek out this Hito and see what he may add to our investigations?"

"Yes," Rin agreed tersely, a tightness to her jaw. "Though I expect, like everyone we have spoken to, we will end up with few answers and more questions."

"We just need one answer, Rin-san," Zoyu replied with a small grin. "The answer to the right question, to be sure. I share your frustration - It is a shame to find a Lord among the Crane to be such a..." Zoyu pressed her lips together to refrain from voicing her thoughts of Lord Hediji. "Come, we shall check for the Ronin at the Golden Peony first."

Zoyu and Rin walked down the merchant road and across the bustling town, making their way over the bridge once again to the northern side of Jinpachi. The inn sat on the merchant road, across from the marketplace. Being lunch time, the inn's dining room was busy with patrons having lunch, but not quite crowded. After the magistrates placed their swords into the alcove by the door, a middle-aged woman approached them and bowed politely.

"Welcome. Please, sit where you like." the woman said with a bow, gesturing to the dining room.

Before the woman could turn and go on about her business Zoyu raised a delicate hand, stopping her.

"We are looking for a local ronin by the name of Hito. Is he here by chance?" Zoyu asked politely.

"Hai." the woman said and nodded with her head toward a lone man sitting at a table, eating lunch.

"Domo arigato." Zoyu said with a small bow, dismissing the woman and turning her attention toward the man.

The man the proprietor identified as Hito looked to be in his thirties, though he could be a few years younger, having been aged by a hard life. His black hair was slightly sweaty and tied up in a topknot while his face bore the stubble from several days without a shave. He wore a kimono and obi of browns, common to ronin, though his was worn and showed its age. By the looks of him, he had just finished some degree of manual labored not long ago, as his hands were still wrapped and what flesh of his that could be seen was glistening with a sheen of slowly dissipating sweat.

Still... RIn and Zoyu could tell that beneath the sweat and scruff he was a somewhat handsome and rather fit man.

Zoyu frowned slightly as his appearance while Rin shrugged and began walking over to him, which prompted Zoyu to accompany her.

"Are you Hito?" Rin asked, causing the man to look up from his bowl of rice.

He gave Rin and quick look and then shifted his gaze, giving Zoyu a quick glance before he lowered his bowl and nodded.

"I am." he replied with a hint of surprise as he rose to his feet.

"Kakita-sama. Mirumoto-sama." he greeted each separately, bowing deeply in respect to each as well.

"You honor a lowly ronin with your presence." he offered.

Hito's greeting demonstrated at least a basic proficiency with heraldry, by being able to identify each of their families (as most would assume a Crane in Jinpachi to be a Hideji) as well excellent manners, to which Zoyu and Rin both politely bowed in return.

"If you wish to speak at length, then please do me the honor of joining me. May I offer you some sake?" he asked as they all sat at his table.

"That would be most kind of you." Zoyu replied.

Hito waved a hand and a server approached a minute later, taking his order for a jar of sake and asking if Rin and Zoyu wished anything else before departing for the kitchen.

"If I may say so, I am curious, as to what have to thank for prompting two fine ladies of such esteem to seek out a lowly ronin. It is rare indeed that I have such company, and the Topaz Champion, no less. I am truly honored." Hito said with another small incline of his head to Zoyu and Rin each.

If anything seems off or OOC for Rin or Zoyu, just let me know and I will edit.

Zoyu smiled coyly as she accepted the rough handsome looking ronin's offer to join him. The two woman sat and waited for the server to leave. Still wearing an enticing smile Zoyu began to explain.

“As you may be aware there has been a crime committed at the castle, and we as magistrates have been asked to investigate.” She raises her hand in a placating motion. “When we learned of you in the course of our preliminary investigation, we thought that with the work you do to help the town and your familiarity with Jinpachi, that you may be able to help us fill in some of the background which we do not know.”

She looked over at Rin who immediately entered the conversation.

“The monks told us of how you chose to stay here after you parted ways with your former employer, a woman called Fumiko, and how you have been of great value here ever since.”

Rin looks the Ronin squarely in the eye.

“I do not wish to question your character nor belittle what you have done for these people, but can you tell us why you chose to leave what must have been steady employment for what must surely have been little reward and I would venture even some trouble from the Hidegi?”

Hito listened to each, nodding as they spoke, with his gaze only lifting as the server returned with a jar of sake and cups. She placed them on the table and poured for all three (unless somebody does not wish sake), and then departs.

Zoyu smiled coyly as she accepted the rough handsome looking ronin's offer to join him. The two woman sat and waited for the server to leave. Still wearing an enticing smile Zoyu began to explain.

“As you may be aware there has been a crime committed at the castle, and we as magistrates have been asked to investigate.” She raises her hand in a placating motion. “When we learned of you in the course of our preliminary investigation, we thought that with the work you do to help the town and your familiarity with Jinpachi, that you may be able to help us fill in some of the background which we do not know.”

"Of course, Kakita-sama. I do not know what help a lowly ronin such as myself may be, but I will help in any way I can." he replies with a nod.

“The monks told us of how you chose to stay here after you parted ways with your former master, a woman called Fumiko, and how you have been of great value here ever since.”

Rin looks the Ronin squarely in the eye.

“I do not wish to question your character nor belittle what you have done for these people, but can you tell us why you chose to leave what must have been steady employment for what must surely have been little reward and I would venture even some trouble from the Hideji?”

"I am not offended, Mirumoto-sama. It is a valid question and one that I am sure piques curiosity." he replied with a reassuring smile.

"Just because something may be difficult does not mean it is not worth doing." Hito said with a half grin.

He then looked at Zoyu, looking at the Topaz haori she wore/ Bearing the mantel of the Topaz Champion says something about one's character and apparently it was enough for Hito. He nodded to himself, as if deciding something internally before speaking again to both.

"When I arrived with Fumiko and her other guards, the town was in chaos. The local daimyo had just been slain and a new clan had moved in. That can be the way of things in Rokugan, but after witnessing the treatment of the defeated at the hands of the victors..." he said as he leaned closer, to speak more softly,  "...executions... the selling of orphans.... and the like... There was no need for that. I know two noble and honorable samurai such as yourselves must know that, even if it is unflattering about a member of one's own clan. If one family of samurai would treat another in the such a way, then the heimin and hinin had had little hope, so it was obvious to me that this town would be in need of aid. I helped the monks gather what orphans we could find. What few girls we found that had not been sold, they took on as miko to protect them, and the monks asked the new ronin who were now departing to take the few boys that remained." he explained before relaxing back more comfortably once again.

"So I stayed. I had not been Fumiko long anyways, having just met on the road a week or so earlier. Watching her buy those orphan girls...." he said, shaking his head.

"Please, I do not mean to mislead though. I bare no ill will toward Fumiko. Every job serves a purpose, but I could not be a part of it after that. She offered me a tidy sum to continue with her as her personal yojimbo, but my mind was made up. She didn't like it, or didn't understand it is more likely, but she accepted it. I still see her when she passes through each year and she still tries to convince me to accept her employment, but I think she knows this is where my heart is." he reminisced with a far off look, thinking of his former employer.

"The local samurai largely ignore me. I try not to make trouble and I think they know that my assistance to the town means the less work they have to do and gives the people less to gripe about. And yes, my life here may not be as comfortable as it could be elsewhere with steady employment, but I find it far more rewarding than a reliable stream of koku. The townspeople keep me busy with little jobs here and there and in return make sure I am fed an have what I need. And to be honest, I need very little aside from my daisho. Just food in my belly, a place to sleep, occasional conversation, and some warmth on a cold winter night. It is not a glamorous life, but I find it deeply rewarding. If I die a ronin, then at least it will be with the knowledge that I have done some good with what remained of my life." Hito explained.

"So how may I assist you?" he asked curiously.

She listens to Hito, and despite her natural wariness finds herself liking the man. she picks up her cup and gives him a silent toast before drinking the warm alcohol.

She sets her cup own and leans in as did he and with a lowered voice speaks frankly.

"There are two things which concern us at this time. one of which you helped the monks on at least one occasion, that is the question of the witches. We know from the monks about a raid on a shack which found nothing of worth, but we would like to know what you think and if you have any theories about them?"

"The uba?" he asked and absentmindedly rubbed the stubble on his cheek with the backs of his fingers on one hand.

"Well, thus far they seem to be just a nuisance, truthfully. Some say the plague years back was their doing, but I doubt they could manage that kind of power. They have only ever targeted the townspeople and their work, never the samurai in the castle or the few that live in town, like Shosuro-sama, and with nothing even approaching that caliber." Hito recounted.

"The plague aside, I have rarely seen anybody actually get hurt, occasionally somebody falls ill, but never has anybody been killed by the uba or their curses. The townspeople are scared though, so they go to the temple to pray and ask for blessings. The townspeople approached the doshin, yoriki and even the daimyo, asking them to investigate, but they were not stirred to action. So the monks and I have been doing our best to combat and find them, but catching them is like grasping at sand. Once we thought we had them, at that shack you mentioned, but they just slipped through our fingers." he explained with a hint of frustration in his voice.

"I had considered going in search of a Kuni Witch Hunter and asking them to investigate, but then I thought that in the grand scene of things, I am sure they have far more dangerous maho-tsukai to deal with. Going out of their way to come here for some annoying uba would just be a waste of their time and a disservice to the Empire." he relayed thoughtfully.

"Not long after though, a half dozen new Jade Magistrates show up in our little, out of the way town. So welcome." Hito said with a smile, raising his cup to toast the Magistrates.

"I just recently heard rumor though that the daimyo was finally going to look into the matter of the uba, if for no other reason than to stop the town from pestering him about it. Maybe the visit from Lord Daidoji prompted action. I really do not know, and rumors are often unreliable, so there may not be a grain of truth to it all." he said with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Did the daimyo ask you to here and look into the uba, if I may ask? Or do you happen to be in town by the grace of the Fortunes?" Hito inquired.

At this time of day, the northeastern part of town was rather busy with those going to and coming from lunch and business meetings at the sake houses. Toshi and Taka walked down the street, having exited the House of the Dancing Traveler, and could see the unmistakable sight of Rin in her armor (which she had been wearing since leaving the castle the prior night) and Zoyu with her Topaz haori, enter the Golden Peony a few doors down.

"I wonder what they are doing here? Seeking information from the innkeeper perhaps?" Taka asked.

The pair made their way to the in and once inside Toshi and Taka scanned the busy dining room for Rin and Zoyu. The two women sat at a table, drinking some sake while speaking a sweaty, scruffy looking man. A ronin by the looks of him with his brown kimono and obi and lack of mon, though he certainly seemed polite enough by his body language and mannerisms, despite his appearance.

A middle-aged woman approached Toshi and Taka and bowed politely, gesturing toward the alcove where weapons were stored by the door as she spoke,

"Welcome. Please, sit where you like." she said and backed away with another bow before returning to her work.

Kageko motions Akari to the stable, as Rin and Zoyu already spoke to the gate guards. The pair walk into the stables of the Hideji and were greeted by the distinctive smell of such. The stablehands were at work grooming, feeding and cleaning the horses and one looked up, noting the arrival of the samurai. He quickly stepped out from behind the hours and walked over, brush still in hand, and bowed deeply.

"How can I assist you, samurai-sama?" he asked

"Gather all the stablehands." Akari said as she presented her jade orb. "We would like to speak with them."

"And if any are asleep, wake them. We wish to speak to all of them." Kageko added.

The man bowed and backed away to gather the others. After just a couple of minutes they all stood assembled in the stable, standing shoulder to shoulder. With just a glance it was easy to tell they were several generations of a family, ranging from roughly ten to fifty years of age.

"We are investigating the murder of the late Lord Hideji Fumiya and want to know if any of you might have seen anybody come in or out of the gates last night, aside from our fellow magistrates."

The stablehands looked a bit wide-eyed, half scared and half confused. The began to shake their heads and answer in the negative with the exception of a boy, maybe twelve years of age.

"I..." the boy said, almost frightened to speak up.

"I saw somebody." he finally finished with the urging of what appeared to be his father.

"I often see someone entering and leaving the castle late at night. I saw them last night too, after everyone else went to bed." he added.

"Why were you up so late?" Kageko asked curiously. it was odd for young stable boy to be awake at such a late hour.

"I always check on the horses at night. Something within the castle... it seems to make them often restless at night. I check on them and calm them down, sometimes with a brushing." the boy replied.

"It is usually late and I am used to it and know my way around the stables, so I usually do not even light a lantern. I do not think the guards even know I am in the stables that late, without a lantern. I.. I was not trying to spy though. It is just easier to get back to sleep if I keep it dark. " he explained, almost fearfully.

"Do you know who it was? Or at least what they looked like?" Akari asked hopefully.

The boy shook fearfully his head, afraid his answer would irritate.

"I am sorry, but I do not know who it was or what they looked like. It is always a lone, cloaked figure, late at night. The guards... they let them in and through the next gate. I think the other gates too. I cannot see them, but at night, when it is quiet, I can sometimes hear the following gate opening and closing. And sometimes, I think I can hear the innermost gate as well. It is hard to tell though. It must be a calm night and very quiet." the boy explained.

"I... I am sorry I did not see more."

"You saw plenty." Kageko said the boy reassuringly.

"You honor your family with your dedication to your job and these fine horses. I am sure your parents are proud to have such a dutiful son." the little Lion soothed.

"Thank you for your assistance. It has been most helpful." Akari said with a bow, which was returned with deeper bows from the stablehands before the pair of magistrates left the stables.

"Hmm... If the boy is to be believed, and I see little reason not to at this point, then it would seem the guards were concealing this frequent, late night visitor..." Kageko said to Akari quietly as they began to search for more servants.

"So we should question the guards about this.   Or"

Akari thought to herself for a moment. 

"If there was a betrayal in the ranks, they'd obviously try to cover their tracks. "  She looked back at the stable.  "And silence anyone who could prove their guilt.  I'd hate to see someone so young punished for doing the right thing."

She thinks

"Perhaps we should trace the route out cloaked person went.  We may find answers"

"I doubt the anybody knows about the boy, as he does not use a lantern at night. And besides, though the information may be helpful to us, the word of a peasant means virtually nothing in court, especially with a dozen samurai guards saying differently." Kageko reminded her fellow magistrate.

"How do you propose we trace their route? The boy said he could hear next gate open and close, meaning the person went past the guest quarters, and on a good night he could even the next gate, meaning the person went well into the castle. It is unlikely we will find another witness though, due to the late hour of the person's arrival."

As Akari and Kageko walked from the stables talking a young servant girl came running up to them. She quickly tried to compose herself in front of the samurai and bowed deeply.

"Magistrate-samas! Please! Come quickly! It's Juro.... He was cleaning the daimyo's old quarters and.. and... he collapsed unconscious and nothing rouses him!" the servants said, her voice laced with panic.

"The ghosts or dark magic that killed Fumiya-sama might be lingering and striking at Juro, stealing his soul!" she fretted.

"Take us to him. Quickly!" Kageko commanded, to which the girl bowed and turned, leading them magistrates as quickly as she could.

The servant guided them back through the castle and up into the tower. As the base of the steps just below the daimyo's floor several servants stood, huddled and scared. The servant stopped and pointed up the stairs with a shaky hand. Akari and Kageko looked up the stairs and cautiously proceeded to the daimyo's floor.

In the hallway at the top of the stairs a middle aged servant man lay on the floor. Strewn around him was a tray and two sake cups, as well as a jar of sake on its side with a small puddle by its mouth, apparently the contents of the tray he was carrying when he collapsed. A lone Hideji guard knelt next to the man, occasionally shaking and lightly slapping the man, trying to rouse him. As the pair reached the top of the steps the guard rose and bowed.

"What happened?" Akari asked the guard.

"The servants say he was cleaning my lord's old room." the guard said, motioning to Nobikazu's room beside them (instead of the daimyo's quarters around the corner and at the end of the hall with the nightingale floor, which is now Nobikazu's quarters as he is the new daimyo).

"He opened the door and was carrying the sake set to the kitchen when collapsed. He has been laying here since and nothing wakes him. We searched the rest of the floor, but found nothing." the guard explained.

A basic layout of the daimyo's floor indicating the occupied rooms the night or morning of the murder.

large.Shiro_Hideo_Top_Floor.jpg.282985d4

"Did the daimyo ask you to here and look into the uba, if I may ask? Or do you happen to be in town by the grace of the Fortunes?" Hito inquired.

"By the grace of the Fortunes, it would seem," Zoyu admitted. "We are assigned elsewhere, but were making good time through Lion lands. While at a waystation, one of Lord Hediji's Bushi invited us to Jinpachi and we accepted." Her lips curved in a small, wry grin. "Now we are here, and as they say, we live in interesting times."

Zoyu tossed her head, shaking loose locks of snow-white hair over her shoulder and took a sip of sake, concealing her bemusement as Rin sipped sake as well. She had thought Rin had given up sake entirely but Hito seemed to be putting her at her ease. Zoyu was glad, Rin had been too... rigid of late.

"I would like to thank you for all you have done for Jinpachi, Hito-san, while those who sought to rule here were... not as assiduous in pursuing their duties to the people as they could have been," Zoyu continued, bowing her head at the Ronin. While not nearly as charming and attractive as Toshimoko-sensei, or viscerally appealing as Tsukiko, she had to admit there was a rugged presence to the man. "You mentioned rumors and there is one we heard."

Zoyu finished her sake and sat the small cup aside, then smiled coyly. "It has been said that you seek the attentions of one of the geisha at The House of the Pines... Whether it is true or not, it is not our business, to be sure, but we took seek a geisha, a specific one. If you are familiar with the geisha at the House of the Pines, or elsewhere in Jinpachi, do you know if there is one called Chiyoko?"

Hito sighed and a small frown crept across his face at the mention of the House of the Pines and the suggestion of his relationship with Chiyoko.

"What has Kumiko said now?" he asked with a hint of irritation.

"I can assure you, despite what Kumiko might say, there is nothing improper going on between Chiyoko and I. We struck up a friendship a few years ago, that is all." Hito quickly assured.

"Chiyoko is pretty, yes, but I do not look at her that way. Not to mention she is half my age." he pointed out.

"You see, I help the town and the people are grateful, but they will always see me as a ronin. A useful ronin. Maybe even a well-liked ronin, but always a ronin. There are only a few who see past that. The monks, for one. 'One must bow to lend aid to a fallen man.' the sojo (abbot) likes to say. It is from the Tao... I think. They look at me and treat me like they would any peasant or samurai. Status is irrelevant to them and their kindness. The other is Chiyoko. She makes me laugh. She doesn't judge me, and doesn't care about my.. status. She looks at me and does not see a ronin. She just sees a man." the scruffy man said thoughtfully, looking down at is worn, brown kimono.

"But that old, dried-up raisin, Kumiko, only wants money, and I can't always afford to pay." Hito's said, his face soured a bit as he spoke of the Okasan.

"So we meet sometimes when she is not working. I escort her along her errands, to the market and such, and we talk. That is not illegal." Hito explained.

"Just talk. Nothing improper. Ever." he affirmed.

"Tongues do wag though, so I can hardly imagine what some of the gossip is." he said, shaking his head.

"And besides, Nobikazu-sama has been... more than sweet on her.... for some time. And though she does not talk about her clients, I get the impression that she may feel the same for him. I am sure Kumiko is pushing the relationship though. No matter if he keeps visiting the House of the Pines as daimyo, or buys her contract to keep her as an honored concubine, Kumiko stands to make a nice profit either way." he said said with a frown and a shrug.

Hito's face changed as something seemed to strike his mind and he looked at both of the magistrates with a mixture of surprise and confusion.

"Wait. You are looking for Chiyoko? Whatever for?" he asked, looking puzzled and concerned.

Interesting. The two ladies were holding a discussion with a ronin. Unfortunately, polite decorum prevented closing in, so Toshi went down to find a table not too far away, where Zoyu and Rin could see him. Once in a while he would glance over and make eye contact - to see if the Crane and the Dragon would allow the Scorpion into their counsel.

Probably not. Now, they would tell him afterward, true, but they might gloss over this or that with junshin perspective. Such was life.

Zoyu arched her brows in surprised as Hito made his spirited defense of the decorum of his relationship with a geisha. A small grin of amusement tugged at the corners of mouth when he mentioned the difference in age between him and Chiyoko. It wasn't something she would have thought to remark on. Many geisha had patrons many years their senior and most noble Crane women had to be prepared to be betrothed to men older than they, even to those as old or older than their fathers. And her interest in Toshimoko-sensei was hardly dimmed by the differences in their age.

"You mistake me, Hito-san," Zoyu replied. "It was not your relationship with a Geisha in general I meant to ask about, and indeed, I see nothing untoward in what you have said." She made a small gesture indicating she found it of little consequence in this matter, then shook her head minutely when a server went to refill her small cup of sake, before continuing. "Rather, it was Chiyoko in particular I was asking about - I knew not that she was the geisha you had been... connected with."

The elegant young woman pursed her lips for a moment, then dipped her head slightly when Toshi and Taka caught her eye, silently asking them to wait for a moment. "That you have indicated that there is a deeper relationship between her and Nobikazu-sama renders our inquiries into her more immediate. You see, during the night just past, Rin-san and I came through town to watch for Uba. Leaving the path from Shiro Hideo, we passed a woman who called herself Chiyoko. Yet, when we questioned the guards, they claimed none had passed the gates save ourselves and our fellow magistrate Kuni Taka."

Zoyu shrugged her shoulders and smiled apologetically. "So you see, with the death of Hediji Fuyima, we would be remiss if we did not ask after a personage whose presence in the castle was undisclosed. Unfortunately, not only will be we need to question the geisha Chiyoko now, we will also need to speak with Nobikazu-same, and so soon after the lost of his father."

Zoyu let her mismatched eyes meet Hito's gaze directly and let her expression grow more firm, pulling up the authority of the Jade Magistrates. "Thus, I ask you, despite what you have shared of your relationship with the geisha Chiyoko, do you believe she could have had anything to do with the murder of Lord Hediji? Before you answer, may I ask you another thing?" Zoyu tilted her head in Toshi's direction. "Would you mind if our fellow Magistrates Shosuro Toshi-san and Kuni Taka-san joined us? The are also investigating Lord Hediji's murder. They may have discovered something that will exonerate Chiyoko's involvement."

Left unsaid was that they may have instead found something that implicated Chiyoko.

Hito looked a little stunned at the suggestion of Chiyoko being involved with a murder, and of a daimyo no less, but listened and then nodded to Zoyu's next question.

"If they are investigating along with you then of course they are welcome. I will help in any way I can." Hito said, having no issue with more magistrates joining them.

Once seated though Hito thought for a moment. Four magistrates were investigating the murder of Hideji Fumiya and now questioning him about Chiyoko. With the nature of Rokugani justice at times, he knew that simply misspeaking could lead to the conviction of an innocent. These magistrates seemed more concerned with honorably executing their duty than simply accusing somebody to settle the matter, so he relaxed somewhat.

"I am here only to help. If there has been a murder, then of course I wish to see the murderer caught and properly punished. The years I have spent at this... status... have taught me many things and exposed me to some grim realities. I now know that anybody, in the right situation, is capable of murder. It is a distasteful thought, yes, but it is something I have been awakened to." Hito shared.

"That said... I cannot grasp how or why Chiyoko would be involved in murder. She has had a relationship with Nobikazu-sama for years now. They both seem to care for one another a great deal. Even if the rumors about Fumiya-sama finally arranging for a Doji bride for his son were true, that would not halt their relationship. We all know that. Even married, Nobikazu-sama could still visit her or take her as an honored concubine. So why endanger it? I am not investigator or magistrate, but putting our friendship aside and being objective, I have difficulty seeing motivation there. To make Nobikazu-sama daimyo? He would be daimyo in a few years anyways. Fumiya-sama was growing old and stood a good chance of dying on a battlefield if he sought renewed aggression. And please, no offense intended Kakita-sama, but the man had to be something of an embarrassment to the Crane. The fact he was here in this out of the way valley is probably the only reason Lord Doji has tolerated him this long. The talk of the town is that Lord Daidoji came here with instructions for Fumiya-sama, straight from Lord Doji, to step down and allow Nobikazu-sama to take over ruler of the family. Patience would been the logical course." he explained calmly.

"Now anger can overwhelm reason for some. It is possible that one could be angry enough from a grave insult, or from a lifetime of berating from one's own father perhaps, that one's anger could finally wash over them and move them to murder." he thought aloud and took a sip of his sake.

"Hmm. I hear that Fumiya-sama and Nobikazu-sama had a... strained.. relationship. Oh! My apologizes. Just a random, unrelated thought." he said apologetically.

"But, back to the issue at hand, I just cannot see a motivation for her to be a part of such a thing. I do not doubt that your investigation as revealed that there are others with far more reason to see Fumiya-sama dead or out of the way than a geisha." Hito asserted thoughtfully.

"Once you are done with me and I go back to my wood-splitting, and you continue with your interviews, know that The House of the Pines is open until a few hours before dawn, and as such, the geisha sleep in extensively by normal standards. Nobikazu-sama may be easier to reach for the next couple of hours, as I doubt you would be well-received by waking Kumiko early. And hailing from Otosan Uchi, I doubt your position will have much effect on her. This lowly ronin would suggest a soft approach with Kumiko. What was that old saying? 'Nobody is offended by flattery, but everybody is fooled by it.'." he offered.

Toshi tapped his fan across his mouth briefly as he followed the testimony of Hito. My my. Not only were his suspicions quite confirmed in many ways, but Toshi found the subtleties in Hito's behavior rather impressed. This was a ronin forced from a Clan, not one born of ronin. Most did not ever so much handle magistrates, four of them with such outward aplomb. Or or indirectly hedge the possibility of Nobikazu's culpability without endangering himself by accusing a daimyo directly.

But beneath the surface, Hito was, understandably, nervous. Little signs Toshi had been taught by his sensei. Twitches of the mouth, hints in the voice... easily explainable by the fact that he clearly considered Chiyoko a friend (at the least) - one whom imperial magistrates were considering as a murder suspect. And his case was logical.

Save that, given the little thing Toshi heard in the garden - and would properly discuss with his fellow magistrates later, the reasonable option just did not keep occurring to Hideiji Fumiya. Under the circumstances - well, the answer seemed more and more clear. Not that it made bringing it to light an easy prospect. There was a reason that despite the difficulty in finding any real uba - if there were any - that Toshi pressed for investigating beyond duty alone.

"We shall tread as softly as a whisper then, Hito-san. Your forthright assistance is most appreciated."

Hito thought for a moment as he brushed the stubble on his cheek with the backs of his fingers.

"Well, " he said, trying to recall, "Chiyoko has said in passing that she was trained at the House of the Pines, and Kumiko only opened it ten or so years ago. I think Kumiko purchased her contract from Fumiko one of the times she was passing through. I do not know for sure, but I think it takes quite a few years to be trained,  So that would mean she arrived between, say, five to ten years or so ago. "

"Chiyoko and I have only been friends for a couple of years, but I would say she is sixteen or so. We met at the House of the Pines, when I was hired as a yojimbo by a merchant while he was in town with a great deal of money, otherwise Kumiko would never have let me in the door. He must have been tired or just had a low tolerance because after a few jars of sake he was asleep. I watched over him, and since he had hired Chiyoko for the evening, she remained in case he were to awaken. While we waited, we began talking and our friendship started." he recalled with a faint smile.

"I am sorry I could not give you better answers, but I, of all people, understand and appreciate the privacy of others, Mirumoto-sama." Hito said apologetically, bowing his head deeply.

Rin nods solomly

"No, Hito-san, you have cooperated willingly in this grave matter and answered questions which many would try to avoid. We thank you  for that and for the sake."

She rises motioning her companions to follow, gives a bow to the ronin.

"When this sordid business is over we will turn our attentions to the Uba. If my fellow magistrates agree and you are willing, you may be called upon to serve this town again."

Hito rises with the rest at the table and bows deeply.

"Of course, Mirumoto-sama. I will help in any way I can." he says with another bow.

As the magistrates exit Hito sits again and returns to his lunch. Taking Hito's advice to heart, the magistrates began walking back up to the castle to speak with Nobikazu, the new Lord Hidejie. The walk would take several minutes which gave them some time to talk along the way in relative privacy.

As they leave the Golden Peony Rin ushers them to a nearby space between two buildings, and in a lowered voice consults her companions.

"The ronin seems honest, but all the same he seems eager that we do not seek this Chiyoko at once."

Zoyu frowns at Rin who is unfathomable as always.

"He seeks to save us from annoying the mistress of the Geisha house"

"That may be Zoyu-san, but he cares for the girl and in his way he is noble. He will not want harm to come to her. I fear he may warn her, and if she is indeed involved, she may flee."

She looks at each of her friends.

"One of us should stay and watch."

Was it a bit of that Dragons perspective people didn't understand? Because while Rin was developing, laudably, an ability to recognize the unpleasantness of reality, it was not exactly being logically used. "He reacts as any friend would when told magistrates are investigating them. Yes, he will inform her, but that does not mean he will go so far as to encourage her to flee. Hito-san used to belong to a Clan. He knows flight can only make her look guilty - and why should she do so? Much less abandon her daimyo and lover."

Toshi left out for now his knowledge of that argument in the garden, to be properly presented later once he could speak to everyone - Kageko and Akari included. "First, I think we should return to Akari-san and Kageko-san and share findings."

Taka thinks for a moment, considering possibilities and options before speaking...

"At the moment, we do not know the woman we met on the path last night was even Chiyoko. She was dressed as a geisha and gave us that name, but we have yet to lay eyes on Chiyoko for ourselves since then. It was dark, but I believe that Kakita-san got a good look at her face, so she would be able to recognize her with luck." Taka pointed out.

"Lord Hideji would be able to verify if Chiyoko came to the castle last night. Ideally he confirms it, which would almost certainly make Chiyoko the woman we met." he added.

"If not, then there are two possibilities. Either he is protecting Chiyoko, for any number of reasons, or the woman we met was just posing as the geisha Chiyoko, an assassin or uba maybe, disguise to get near the castle, or possibly gain entry, without raising suspicion. If Chiyoko visiting the castle late at night was a common occurrence, then in the dark, with the benefit of geisha makeup, hair and the hood, a woman of similar build may be able to pass for her if the guards became complacent." he continued.

"If you are concerned, Mirumoto-san, then I would suggest we remain to watch Hito and/or maybe even go to the House of the Pines now to speak with Chiyoko even if it angers Kumiko at this hour. Alternatively, we could split up with some going speak with the new Lord Hideji at the same time, collecting Kitsu-san and Isawa-san in the process. They may have also uncovered some additional information in the course of their interviews with the servants." Taka suggested.

"Four magistrates, investigating the murder of the daimyo, just spoke to Hito and stated they were looking for his friend. From the impression I got of the man, I would be surprised if he didn't go warn his friend, maybe his only real friend, out of nothing more than an abundance of caution. So I expect him to go warn his friend. If she is involved, his warning may prompt her to flee, though she would have to be very careful about it, so as to not draw attention, possibly hiding out and waiting till nightfall to exit town under the cover of darkness." he considered.

Zoyu looked over at Rin and nodded. "Even if the girl is not involved in this matter, she may still flee in fear, and in so doing, seem to condemn herself, to Hito-san's and her own regret."

The striking Crane listened attentively to Taka speak, then dipped her head down at the short Crab. "A sound summation and insight into our current situation, Kuni-san," Zoyu said in her low, sweet voice. She frowned for a moment, then nodded decisively. "I believe we should divide our efforts once more. I would prefer not to deal with a waspish Okasan, but I would regret more Hito and Chiyoko doing something that could be construed as an admission of guilt. As as you said, I did try to get a better look of the woman under the hood."

Her uncanny eyes roved over her companions, resting on Rin for a moment longer than the others. "What say you that I and Rin-san, since she first mentioned Hito's possible actions and concern for his own good, go to the House of the Pines and seek Chiyoko and see what she has to say, irritated Kumiko or no? While we do so, you Shosuro-san, with Kuni-san, travel back to Shiro Hideo, collect Kitsu-san and Isawa-san, share our findings and see if they have any news, then speak with Nobikazu to see if he can shed any light on the visit of the geisha - or possible geisha. Does this sound reasonable and do any have anything else to share before we go our separate ways once more?"

• Matt changed the title to IC: L5R: Blood and Jade - Blood for Blood (pt 1)
  • Matt pinned this topic

Archived