• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh do'nt get me wrong im not saying anyone is being difficult or rules lowering Im just doubting myself because I dont have the knowledge and  it makes me feel a bit inadequate.

its also I'm very moody and cranckytoday...you know

Need clarification.

So, the cost for current ability is 3 experience, and the cost for ability is 3 experience... so let me make sure I understand it clearly, abilities are 3 XP regardless of it it's the first dot or the fifth dot?

Need clarification.

So, the cost for current ability is 3 experience, and the cost for ability is 3 experience... so let me make sure I understand it clearly, abilities are 3 XP regardless of it it's the first dot or the fifth dot?

Yes, currently attaining a new ability or raising an existing ability, dots are a flat 3 xp points per dot... no multiplier.

It does not appear to be an error since there has been no clarification when asked on  FB so that's what it is :)

If this changes i future errata which i don't' think it will. I will probably  leave it as is. Higher skill aren't a problem and tend to make it more appealing to find a solution which doesn't require magick.

nina

BTW where it says Current Ability 3 and current Sphere 10 replace current with new that is a typo

am starting to work up a clearer pic for my world of darkness byond what i have stated in the FF post above. wihile it will not be exhaustive it should give everyone a good idea of the world and where it stands at the beginning of the game. i should have it posted by the weekend.

I'd like to submit a blood mage :D Can be Cult of Ecstasy or Verbena. She'd be the fun type too! Using general hedonism as magic also.

Blood and Other Fluids

Brews, Potions, Powders, and Other Concoctions

Drugs and Poisons

Fashion (lack there of, as mentioned ;))

Offerings and Sacrifices

Sex and Sensuality

Weapons (particularly bladed ones)

She does seem like a Verbena to me also.. though that might be a more unusual dreamspeaker.

As an Akashic, Akemi's focus could include sex, but more as a potential aspect of certain tools, such as bodywork, dances & movement, ordeals, and some kinds of meditation, rather then specifically, and I generally see it as not her first choice... this is what I'm looking at for her at the moment.

Paradigm:  Bring Back the Golden Age
Practice: Martial Arts, Using a Mix of Martial Arts and Yoga, embracing Chakra’s, Meditation and Energy flow
Tools: Bodywork, Dances & Movement, Energy, Meditation, Ordeals & Exertions,  Weapons, Voice

Attetnion I had meant to make a change allowing Arete to be raised over 3 to a max of 5 with Preplay Xp and some Background justification. but while i thought i made teh change looks like i didnt I have since made that change. I just want you all to have the choice.

Rubio here.

Finally found a decent PB avatar so's I can introduce Montrose. He's actually fairly tame and ascetic by Ecstatic standards, focusing not on sex, drugs, or music, but rather pushing himself to the absolute limit of physical and mental endurance to expand human consciousness and perception.

Because Everything is an Illusion, the path to Ascention is to see through it. To that end, Monty's practice of Extreme Physical Exertion to Free the Senses primarily consists of Ordeals, Bodywork, Martial arts, and Posture/movements. Contrasting with occasional exercises in calm introspection through Meditation and Energy/Breath control, along with the use of water and earth as imagery and visualization tools for sensation's flow and obstruction.

didn't get my stuffdone today but i am working on mage until i get my next things up

1st will be my WoD setting  followed by  a closer look at my city setting of New Orleans.

sorry for keeping everyone waiting but my knee has put me behind on stuff

Nina's World of Darkness

As mentioned elsewhere I do not have the vast experience with the World of Darkness as do most of you my players. When I played Mage in high school I didn't have any of the books and wasn't really interested in the background of the world what captured me was the ideas that Mage gave me and the Stories that my ST weaved for us. My St told me everything I needed to know in his stories. I was happy with that.

Now a few years later I find myself with a bright shiny pdf on my tablet getting ready to run a Mage 20 game...With what I consider experts in the World of Darkness. My initial thought was to divorce my game from the WoD entirely and make it a “Hombrew Setting†But I really liked what I was reading and saw that the Published material could really be something that I the St could use. But there is also a lot of baggage that comes with the old stuff so I used the Future Fate option and in case you didn't notice I pretty much cut out everything that was major to the old meta plot. But still it was bothering me because the lack of knowledge I had compared to my prospective players.

So that's why we are here right now.

I have three options

1. scrap the WoD Setting and make the game my homebrew.

2. Use the WoD Setting by adapting it to me.

3. Drop the game entirely.

Ok so #3 wasn't really an option but the other too are. Both of them could and probably will cost me players. That's ok I have to run a game that I can have fun running. If no one wants to play after this brief I understand and apologize right now for any time and effort you put in making a character.

So that being said I have chosen #2. Even though doing my own setting is highly attractive and something I would actually be more comfortable with, I can't help but want to play in that Old World of Darkness. So if you have bothered to read this far I suppose I should just shut up and get to what you came for, Nina's World of Darkness.

This is a Mage 20 game, for all intent and purposes to my game the other game lines do not exist. Yes there are vampires and werewolves, and ghosts but they are for me to use and I may or may not depending on how I need them to be, use them like they are depicted in the OwoD. Don't take anything for granted. If you have specific question concerning other supernaturals and I deem that your character would know about it, I will answer.

The Meta Plot as it was written and as it played out does NOT EXIST. If there is to be a meta plot it will be of my design.

The ascension war is a thing, but it is not the only thing and to my players it may not be that big a thing at all but it is there.

And now the big one. The only book that matters Is the Mage 20 rule book. All the other books, the splats, the setting additions they are nothing more than anecdotal references for me. If you want something from one of these old books feel free to PM me and we can discuss but you will need to let me know where what your talking about can be found otherwise I probably wont have a clue. If I write something in the story that contradicts one of these old books I don't care. If it isn't in the big ol book of Mage20 its doesn't matter. Now I will tell you now that this rule is not the end all be all there will be things I take from some old books there may even be things which a player can convince me to integrate into my setting. But it is the default rule.

My vision is a Mage game that draws on the past but is unencumbered by it, that is the reasoning for my choices. I want this to feel like the very first Mage game you ever played, fresh and unexplored. Just like it was the very first time any of you cracked open that very first purple book.

I know this is elsewhere but its important to this document as well so I'm putting it in in abbreviated form.

These are the Future Fates from the Book That I am specific about This is the major deviation from the Published OWoD.

Future Fates: Doissetep

• The fall didn't happen like that: Doissetep is cautionary tale for Tradition wizardry. Internal politics and divisions among the most powerful Mages of an age led to schism and intrigue.

No one who wasn't there really knows what happened, and anyone who was there isn't here anymore. On that fateful day Doissetep simply vanished, all the ways of traveling there simply ceased to work, all means to find it lead to nowhere. No mage who was there as ever been heard of again. It is quite simply one of the greatest mysteries in the modern age to mages.

Most believe that it was destroyed some how although the lack of evidence is troubling. Others talk of mass ascensions, or mass insanity, some say it is still there and that they just don't want to be bothered anymore. What ever the truth, the Chantry, has now in even such a short time as this become a mythic legend. Many Mages of all traditions and Factions spend years searching for it in hopes of discovering secrets and treasures. Perhaps you will seek it too.

Future Fates: The Great Betrayer

• What Ascension Warrior? That stuff never happened, or else it happened in a very different form. Perhaps the Warrior is still out there somewhere, if he exists at all.

Future Fates: The Technocratic Paradigm

• Reality’s in Flux: The Technocracy seemed to win, but that perception wasn’t accurate. Reality zones determine the boundaries of coincidental and vulgar magick, and Earth might even be sliding toward another Mythic Age in which a different paradigm dominates the world. This option would give you a much wilder Mage chronicle, with certain forms of obvious magick becoming coincidental (in the old form, casual), whereas certain approaches to technology would become vulgar. Such a high-magic chronicle would hold a very different reality than the official World of Darkness, but it would suit an End Times saga in which the promises of science had been rejected in favor of mystic chaos.

Future Fates: The New Millennium

• Shit Happened: 9/11 happened, Hurricane Katrina happened, the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars happened, and the world’s smack in the middle of global climate change. International revolts, Fox News, the Greek economic crisis, and all the other messes and miracles that define our era are in full swing. Mage 20 assumes this option, but you don’t have to.

Future Fates: Chantries and Horizon Realms

• Nothing has changed: Chantries and Horizon Realms are as potent and magickal as ever before… more subtle, perhaps, than they had been in the legendary past, but still miraculous in comparison to mundane facilities.

Future Fates: The Reckoning, the Gauntlet, and the Avatar Storm

• The Avatar Storm never happened: Passage between worlds remains challenging but not torturous. Ignore all references to the Storm, Reckoning, and Disembodiment.

Future Fates: The Spirit-Nuke

• The spirit nuke incident never happened: The Shadowlands, Stygia, and other Dark Empires remain as they’re presented throughout the Wraith: The Oblivion series. And for updated possibilities, check out Wraith: The

Future Fates: Cell Phones and the Internet

• Your story takes place in the 21st century, with current Internet and cell phone technology: Adjusting the influence and abilities of the Virtual Adepts and other factions, you run your chronicle amidst the familiar trappings of the ever-wired world.

Future Fates: The Horizon War, Doissetep, and the Storm

• Ignore the metaplot: Ascension Warrior who? Avatar what? There are as many Horizon Realms as you want there to be, with no attrition from metaplot concerns. Doissetep could be alive and well, and Horizon might remain a safe haven for Tradition mages everywhere. The fate of those worlds is whatever you want it to be.

Future Fates: The Reckoning and Sixth Age

• None of that ever happened: As in the mid-1990s, the Technocracy and Traditions are more or less equal, with the Nephandi mostly banished from Earth and the Marauders too scattered to provide much threat. The Disparates have their own territory, but the cataclysms that pushed Ascension to the edge have not occurred and maybe never will.

Reality’s a funny thing,

Future Fates: The Traditions

• Metaplot? What metaplot?: None of that stuff happens or happens differently, Horizon still exists as a haven but one that has become insular and withdrawn and Doissetep is simply gone. Events in the late 90s brought the war to a head and disaster was looming for both sides the disasters that befell the world during the first part of the new millennium are mostly paradox backlashes caused by the heating up of the Ascension War. This cause the warring factions to step back and the war goes cold. The Traditions remain a force to be reckoned with, but many Mages have withdrawn to Horizen which is now more a Fortress than a retreat. The Disparates in order to protect themselves create a third alliance during this time which remains mostly neutral.

Nina's World of Darkness begins with the disappearance of Doissetep, you may as players assume that anything which occurred in the Published Mage game line prior to that is, with some exception, canon.

The disappearance of Doissetep was a pivotal event in the Ascension war. The mystery surrounding it brought the actions of the war almost to a stand still as both sides, Tradition and Technocracy, thought the other side was up to something big. This “cease fire†lasts for about a year but with no clear discovery of what may have happened to the Chantry it was only a matter of time before one or the other resumed their press for victory.

That group which moved first was the Technocracy. In a series of coordinated attacks across the globe known chantries and sanctums were targeted. In one night the war went from cease fire to Red Hot.

The mages didn't stay on the defensive for long but the Tecnocracy had the upper hand and the mages lost ground. But they couldn't allow themselvs to lose. their realities were at stake and so their retaliations grew more and more bold and vulgar. In reaction the Technocracy pushed the limits of their own paradigm. Hit marks walked the streets mages hurled lightnign and reality bent.

The later half of the decade was tumultuous to say the least while the actions of solitary mages of both sides were eliciting paradox at prodigious rates the world itself was also being rent and it was at a breaking point. The technocracy believed that they were safe the world excepted their paradigm and rejected the mythic. But they misread things...horribly.

The VA gave the Traditions what they hoped was there best chance at crashing the technocratic machine Y2K. And when it didn't happen the Traditions blinked and thought they had lost. And the Technocracy cheered they had overcome the best the Traditions could throw at them and they declared themselves the winners, the atrocities performed over the next 8 month by the Technocracy was too much. The world responded with paradox.

It started on 9/11 with a direct attack on America the face of the technocracy somehow the most technologically advanced nation on the planet was brought to its knees by a handful of religious fanatics. Its was just the start.

War, Natural disasters, economic and political collapse, followed and all found their origin in the Paradox backlash of the previous years of all out magickal war.

The first decade of the 21st century was awake up call for all mages but in reality the Technocracy was hit the hardest their strangle hold on the worlds reality was broken with the rise of Reality zones where their paradigm was no longer the default as it had been for so long.

The paradox storms reset paradigms across the world leaving room for traditional native beliefs to once more surge to the foreground. In most places technology didn't suddenly become vulgar but it was apparent that it was no longer the only game in town. Among the traditions the VA stinging from their Y2K failure went back to the Technocracy tool box and began a media blitz which clearly allowed the mythic to make a resurgence in even the most technocratic zone. Urban Fantasy, Science fiction, comics, supers hero saturation. All of these things allowed the masses to see things and not automatically scoff thus giving rise to small zones where some magick which would once have been vulgar to squeak past and become coincidental and in some very remote places even casual.

While the paradigms reset across reality the traditions and the Technocracy retreated to their otherworldly bastions. The war during the 1990's had sapped the strength of the traditions to its lowest and the first part of the 21st century claimed technocracy lives at a great rate as well. Even the non-aligned mages suffered losses to their populations. While the traditions retreated almost in mass to Horizon and the technocracy to their Stations, the non-aligned crafts were with few exceptions left to fend for them selves leading individual members of the crafts and small groups to join with and merge with closely associated Traditions thus bolstering that traditions numbers and others to the banding together of many of these Crafts for sheer survival. Early in the 21st century several of the crafts formed an alliance in just a couple of years more of the crafts joined and they Became know as the 3rd Faction The Disparate Alliance. Of course there is always more to what is than meets the eye and that is true even of the Disparate.

By the beginning of the second decade of the 21st century the paradox backlash had pretty much run its course. Slowly the mages or at least some of them returned to Sanctum and Chantry, but it wasn't business as usual. The wreckage of the war loomed over every mage and the fear of it re-surging made many mages remain in their safe in Horizon or the Technocracy's stations. The Disparate had staked claims in Zones compatible to their beliefs and were not going to just roll over and let things go back to what they had been. With three factions now the Ascension war if it were to heat up again would be devastating. Even the Technocracy recognized this and they asked for a meeting a summit of all three factions to be held on neutral ground. As of 2015 this summit is still in the planning stage.

The Traditions upon excepting the inclusion of those craft members who were fleeing earth to horizon were forced to become more inclusive with regard to their new members. Even though the new mages gave up there former identities and took on the mantel of the chosen tradition, their beliefs, while not diametrically opposed to the particular tradition view, did not change. oh many gave lip service but in reality a mages paradigm is a sacred thing and changing those inner beliefs is nearly impossible so the strict structure of the various traditions had to adapt. So now even in the once most strict and rigid tradition its possible to see a mage using instruments and practices that once would have been inconceivable for that tradition. Not every tradition mage is comfortable or even tolerant of these changes but it is the way thing are now, and some have even embraced the new and are slowly adopting their own non-standard practices.

The Disparate Crafts – The Magick Crafts...Those individuals and groups who never aligned themselves with either side in the War of Ascension found themselves the targets or vicims of collateral damage during the last years of the 20th century. This led to a very loose alliances to be formed between some of the crafts and eventually with the Traditions. Starting with local mages who exist without the support of a large organizations began banding together for mutual defense. This led to some crafts in one city joining with other cities and it just expanded. But even though there is an alliance it is very loose and in no way is it universal. There is no Council of governors, and there is no charter, individual mages come and go as they please but those who have chosen to recognise and participate do answer the call of other craft members if they are needed. So the crafts still operate on the individual or small group level but but they cna answer the call if they are asked. Their relation ship with the Tradtions is much better than it was in the previous centuries with the Traditions realizing that the crafts do have a value.

Most mage you will meet will be either a solitary craft mage or a mage belonging to a tradition who is a member of a cabal in the local region you are in. Technocratic mages as a whole are rarely randomly run into as those who have abandoned the Technocracy are usually in hiding.

will be forth coming but short form .... after Katrina and the reconstruction the city has become somewhat of the supernatural neutral zone. Neither the technocracy nor the traditions "Claim" it and with the reality reset there are multiple reality zones which coexist within the cities enviroment. There is a large Transient Supernatural population which is constantly moving through the city  and a small core of mages (both Tradition and Craft) and a few other supernaturals who call it home.

Those who are not native will be brought to New orleans by their associtation with a mage named Anson. this mage at some point in your past made your aquaintance... more about this will be forth comeing as well.

Update to players and those on the fence... RL smacked me in the knee recently and that has been a  big downer for my progress. But i am going to finish some stuff this weekend including information on New Orleans and How I intend to bring you all together. Right now I am looking at an early start from my original thught. Right now I am Intending to make My first Story post on or right after teh 4th of July weekend.

If you will be playing I would like to have your back grounds and initial sheets by the 1st so we can make any adjustments or changes. Those who have already submitted go over things and make sure you have what you want.

Thank you for your patience

Several of you have asked about how or why your character will end up in New Orleans. Well I'm about to fill you in

Your mages may or may not be residences of NO that  is your preference I actually encourage you not to be from the Game city. But all of you will have a reason to come to New Orleans.

Regardless of whether you are from NO or from somewhere else or whether you have any connections with any of the other characters, At some point in your past AFTER your awakening each of you met in a none critical way a fellow mage named Anson. This casual acquaintance may have been as brief as sharing a cup of coffee during a rainstorm on a Thursday evening when yo u were waiting for  a show. of it could have been at a month long Martial arts camp where the two of you spar and struck up a brief friendship. How ever you may have encountered this mage and you do know he was a mage. it was brief and when it was over he probably never entered your thoughts again.

Until one day when you received a legal letter wishing you condolences for the passing of your friend Anson Ledoux. You are further inform by the letter that your mage is named as a benificiary of Anson's estate and are invited to the Reading of the will in New Orleans in July of 2015.   Your travel and expenses are covered by the Estate and a rooms have already been reserved at the Hotel Villa Convento.  Recieving this letter will bring back the memory of Anson but you have no idea why he would have put you in his will. A mystery which almost assuredly means you will have to attend.

When the game begins you will all have arrived at the hotel pretty much all at eh same time.

If there are any questions pleas ask.

Also I will be posting some info about New Orleans soon

Please make sure you have finalized your characters by the 1st of july and have them submitted.

If any one needs any help let me know.

Update Time

July 1st is the deadline for character submissions. I will accept no submissions after the 1st. there will be no exceptions.

Game play will begin on the 5th when i make the first story post.

I require each character to post a minimum of once per week, if you cannot post notify me in pm if you miss one week i will remind you  if you continue to miss without letting me know why or when to expect your return i will remove you from the game and make your character and NPC.

I will award Xp at the beginning of each month after play starts. you will be guaranteed 1xp per week of play plus bonus xp to be determined by me on an individual basis, but it will be based on posting frequency, character portrayal and development, and how entertaining you are.

All xp expenditures must be justified. so it is a good idea make a list of things to be working on that you are going to raise.

House Rules

rolling 1s do not remove Successes.

Botches only occur if you roll a one with no successes. This means botches will be more rare but when they occurs they will mean more.

• 2 weeks later...

guys BD was in an accident and is in the hospital and she is in the game so I am going to hold off posting until she gets home and has a chance to post before replying. this is one of those real life is a bitch moments.

Couple of notes for Mage20 Players.

I know we got off to a bit of a slow start and i was supposed to post sunday but real life intruded i am working on a post now so it will be up and move us forward.

I know you all are excited and you want to post as soon as you see me post and i love that i feed on your interest! But please Take your time there is no rush and my posts are going to be long and they are going to be detailed. Missed details mean posts that may have to be edited. so my advice read through my posts a few time and make absolutely sure you read any notes i put in the spoiler.

Places - any places I mention will be real places unless I state in the spoiler that it is a made up location. I will attempt to make the locations as close to accurate as the story will allow and i will in the future make sure i describe the place better and if time and resources permit I will put pics in the posts. if I use a real place it is safe to assume it is in the actual location of the real world place However if for story purposes I have to move the Place to a different location I will state this In the notes. But if its real and i dont move it you can locate it on google maps to see where it is and what is around it.

People - I will be mixing real and made up people into the story. i wont tell you who is who but if you are intrigued you can always check em out google is your friend.

full of apologies this week I am having to do some rewriting on my post will try to get it finished and polished by tonight but that may be wishful thinking i hate dropping the ball but noone will be penalized by my tardiness please bear with me

Also for the characters who arrived on the 30th of June which I take to be Kait (I already Know yours ), Montrose, Triessa, an those who Live in NO, Purple Rose (from your post I gather you partied), and Cade and Akemi let me know asap what your characters did the night of the 30th. does not need to be detailed and staying in and reading is perfectly exceptable. Pleas get respond asap in a pm today if at all possible sorry for the rush

Note to M20 players I have changed the nomenclature for Orphans. If you are of the Orphan affiliation the Proper term now is Distinct Practitioner or simply Distinct , however Orphan is still used as a label by those Traditionalist and Technologist who have not yet been enlightened.

thank you

your ST

Each of you receives free of cost the following back grounds.

Resources – If your character has no resource back ground he/she now has a resource of 3 if you had resources of 1- 3move to 4 dots if you had a 4 or  5 add one dot.

Sanctum – Each of you now has a sanctum in the house this is a two dot sanctum which can be improved during play with xp at double the cost of xp. If you currently have a sanctum you have bought you may add it to this sanctum or keep it separate but you need to decide that before moving forward. The sanctum already is fully equipped and supplied AS IF YOU HAD BUILT IT YOURSELVES. Please give me a description of this sanctum when you can you can simply add it to your Sheet submission in the Character Pms. to reiterate the Sanctum can be in any shape form what have you as long as it reflects your character. so make it as If YOUR CHARACTER HAD BUILT IT HERSELF.

Node – each sanctum has a 2dot node associated with it. This node supplies 3 q per week in free quintessence per dot and 1 per week per dot in Tass. This node may be improved for double the xp cost.

If you already have a Node background it is separate from this Node and cannot be combined.

Each of you also has access to the Atlantis Plantation Node which is a 4 dot node supplying 4q per dot per week in free quintessence and 2 per dot per week in tass.

Ok I don't want to come off as being a bitch or anything or as being self pretentious but i need to stress the importance of reading the storyteller posts in mage.

Skimming these posts are not a good idea. reading them once and rushing to post is not a good idea. Take your time when reading and please if something isnt clear or if something is confusing ask me. I may not be in chat all the time but i am around i will not leave you hanging nor will i ignore you.

I am putting a lot of information in these post some of it is very obscure and some is subtle. it is easy to miss clues and i will be honest something that i think is plain as day might be being miscommunicated. I relish discussion and questions I want interaction. I am not always going to ask you to make a roll for some things but it is always ok and I encourage you to ask me if you need to roll or can you make  a roll or do i detect this with my that.

I will be starting the next scene on Monday or Tuesday to give those who have not made a sanctum post a chance to catch up

if you have already made your sanctum post please refrain from any additional post  although you are free to edit your sanctum post also a reminder i have posted xp for the month of July check out the xp thread.

All Mage20 Players need to make sure you are following the Mage20 content and that your notifications are on and set to receive notifications from the game threads. with only being able to view 3 recent topics it is easy to miss a post now

thankyou

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So okay, I finally dug up the countermagic rules, but they're a bit vague. I need some clarity. Here's the question:

Here's Basic Countermagic:

Sphere Knowledge: To oppose another character’s
Effect, you need to have at least one dot in at least one
of the Spheres that are being used to attack you. You
can’t resist a Forces-based assault, for example, if you
don’t understand Forces.
• The Roll: Assuming you have the essential Sphere(s),
make an Arete roll. In Mage 2nd, the difficulty for that roll
is 7. (Under the Reckoning metaplot in Mage Revised,
it’s 8.) We suggest leaving the difficulty at 7.
• Successes: Each success rolled deducts one success from the
attacker’s successes. If the incoming Effect’s results were based
upon the Magickal Feats chart, then the incoming spell is less
effective than it would have been otherwise – see the Degrees
of Success chart instead. If that attack depended upon a
certain number of successes, the assault fizzles completely.

The problem is Sphere Knowledge. You need to have at least one dot in at least one of the Spheres being used to attack you. That implies to my eye that you don't necessarily need to have dots in ALL the Spheres being used in the magic you want to counter. That makes some intuitive sense...you can go after the 'weak link' in the opposing spell, and if it gives way, the spell as a whole is no longer viable and fails.

But then, under the Roll, it says if you have the essential Sphere(s), etc etc etc.

So my question is...do I need a dot in EACH of the Spheres being used, or in ANY of the Spheres being used?

Also, is Countermagic really the right technique to use in this case? It seems like it's supposed to be used in response to a quick attack, rather than an enduring effect.

Help? :)

Max- one in at least one sphere to preform countermagick essentially you are attempting to disrupt that one sphere. the more you can attack the better your chances base difficulty is 7 you can reduce this by 1 for each sphere beyond the first which you have a dot in to  a maximum bonus of -3

if the spell were finished yes counter magic would not work but during this free turn the spell is essentially still being cast. so yes countermagick can work at this moment in the next run it will not.

Archived