The Sideshow - E 0 - "The Black Parade" [CLOSED]

Sailor OOC

Trafalgar Square, London, England

9:59 PM, April 26th, 2015

A sudden announcement that Trafalgar Square is closed to pedestrian traffic from 10pm to 2am and Charing Cross Station for one hour will be closed to to the public from 1am to 2am has been made by the London Chamber of Commerce. For what reason none can say, but rumors have it that the BBC is filming something there...

The stroke of midnight... a time of legendary fear and dread in the night. In a deserted portion of London, as traffic mills about away from prying eyes, a group of people begins to gather in this legendary plaza. Five uniquely talented individuals. United at this location by a letter from their various handlers with "The Sideshow" a Interpol organization dedicated to handling paranormal criminals. The Sideshow provided their transport from wherever to London, and the group was asked to arrive on foot and provide the letter to the guards at whatever point of the plaza they enter in to.

Once in, they were told to meet under what looked like a medium sized party shelter erected not too long ago. Inside there's food, drink, and warmed blood packs for a certain vampire in the group. Inside a woman is waiting, a a long, raven-haired woman with a eye patch, a penchant for bread sticks and wine.

She is who sent for these 5 individuals... as tonight is their first night as members of Cell 13 of the Sideshow.

"Almost 10pm... the sun's set... time for our guests to arrive..."

"I hope whoever designed this city got eaten by a wolf."

Sylvia held the map on its side, trying to mentally navigate the thread of twisted London streets laid out on the paper. She ran her finger along the page to try and visualize the path. "So I cross here, then take a left... then... no, that's a dead end... hmm."

The Sideshow had given her a smartphone, and a collection of fingertips that let her use its touchscreen, but she still wasn't 100% familiar with it and didn't trust it all the way yet. It was too small. Cell phones were supposed to be the size of bricks - otherwise you were as likely as not to lose them, right?

She finally figured out her path, and headed off towards the station, heavily padded feet masking her footfalls, a hood pulled up over her head and partway down her face to mask hard grey-white flesh. After half an hour, she finally found her way towards the plaza.

She showed her credentials to the perimeter guard, who nodded, not staring at her too hard, thankfully. Thus satisfied, she strode into the tent, nodding at the woman with the eyepatch, and ignoring the food and drink. "Reporting in."

Aynsley meandered through the streets of London once again with a faint smile on her lips. In some ways the city had changed a great deal over her many visits there. And yet, in many ways it stayed the same. There was a familiarity about it that she enjoyed. It had been decades she was last in London, but the spirit was the same though.

Her stroll finally brought her to the edge of Trafalgar Square where she was intercepted by a guard.

"Oh yes. Of course." she said as she opened the leather satchel she was carrying and pulled out the folded letter which she handed to the guard casually.

With the guard satisfied she proceeded further in, looking over the various landmarks and statuary with Nelson's Column sitting in the middle. It was nice to Trafalgar Square again, even in the middle of the night and virtually devoid of people. She strolled over to the canopy that had been erected with her scarf lightly dancing in the soft breeze, each step sending a soft *click* of her heels faintly echoing across the deserted square.

"Good evening. Aynsley Evermore. How do you do?" she said, introducing herself to both of the ladies. She offered her hand first to the woman standing, apparently unfazed by her condition, and then to the woman sitting before setting down her satchel and picking up a bottle of wine.popping the cork and pouring herself a glass. She then looks up from it and to the standing woman.

"Would you like a glass?" she offers politely.

Terry had spent the day in the area, looking around the National Gallery through the afternoon, hanging out in the local Waterstones book shop until it closed. In his jeans, polo shirt and leather bike jacket he fits in with the mix of locals and tourists that frequent the area. Whilst glancing at the books he was in fact watching the area being shut down and cordoned off. After a late dinner in Prezzo he moved up to the Vista rooftop bar and a couple of non-alcoholic cocktails until he spotted the first two colleagues enter, then finishing his drink he made his way down to the ground floor.

Crossing the road he made his way to the nearest guard, pulling his invitation from his pocket as he approached. After a brief check of the invite and a nod from the guard he made his way over to the tent. Slipping inside he handed his invite to the woman he had not seen approaching the tent and nods briefly to the other two.

"Evening Ladies."

May on the other hand was casually walking in as she showed her invite to the guard.  She cursed her lack of flight powers, as she could have just scaled a couple buildings and cut her time to get here in half.

"Heys.  I'm not late am I?"  She said nervously.

She looked at her soon to be teammates to size them up.  A golem and what looks to be two normal humans.  Although she of all people knows looks can be deceiving.

"I'm good. I don't drink any more."

Sylvia drew back the hood of her hoodie, revealing that she was made out of solid, pale marble, her hair fixed in place, and her manner having an odd stillness about it - her actions felt economical, as if they didn't happen without express purpose.

"And even if I did, I'm on the clock. Not a good idea to get loaded."

"No, we're not on the clock... well those invited. One is on the clock though, but he will join the group later. As for your 7th member she is... in a spot of trouble. I sent Youko in to play calvary and pick her up and fly her here. Might test our other Kitsune's abilities as a pilot. She may have to dogfight a particularly angry dragon."

She adjusted her black blazer, looking over the assembling group. "The name is Lady Lucretia Elizabeth Gray. You may call me Lucy... titles don't matter much in the Sideshow."

She walks over to where the refreshments are. "Your instructors at the training facility in Brussels highly reccomended the lot of you for this assignment to replace the previous Cell 13."

"As you are aware there was an incident in Syria, dealing with the recovery of an important mystic artifact. There was ISIS involved and almost everyone was taken out except for two of the members. One is Youko who I mentioned, who was instrumental in getting the artifact back to it's rightful owners in Greece, ensuring the loss of her comrades wasn't in vain. The other should be downloading herself here shortly. She... was in the middle of being repaired."

She opened a laptop, hooking up a wi-fi reciever. "So... introductions? Or do we want to wait for our straggler?"

It was at that moment that A fairly tall yet otherwise nondescript man entered.   He was just shy of two meters tall, with shaggy black hair and a lean face.   The only standout feature became obvious to those who saw his eyes.  He looked at the world through yellow eyes, like those of some great dark Wolf, which in the most traditional sense, was very true.

He wore jeans and an old AC/DC t-shirt under his black duster and nodded once to the Lady.   "Sorry about that, Lady,I cleaned up that disturbance, and have the usual form that accompanies my work."

He'd worked with Lucy before, she was one of the rare people that knew his vulnerability, his story.

Stone girl posed some interesting questions, and he couldn't help but smile.  It was always nice finding out you weren't the only one the fates showed their sense of humor.

"I'll start.   I'm Barnabas Bertram Wolffe.   It's easier and preferred that you just call me Barney."   For those who possessed greater senses, he smelled mostly of old leather and charcoal.

The famed London fog seeped into Trafalgar Square, making the empty historic landmark all the more an eerie tableau. The Soldiers watched for signs of danger along the rooftops and the motorways, keen eyes search darkened windows and doorways, but few pay any attention to the fog.

Five unusual persons enter the heavily secured area and meet with a sixth. The five individuals are each unique, as different to each other as they are to the humans they have been chosen to protect. The mist grows thicker around the feet of these supernatural persons it is time for the Seventh to reveal herself.

The mist rises and collects into a form. The five of the six present show some surprise reaching for weapons or preparing powers and spells,  the sixth motions them to stillness as the mist solidifies into a beautiful woman dressed in a White ruffled mans shirt and curve hugging leather pants with Knee high Boots both black as pitch her ensemble is finished with a sheathed antique Rapeir at her side.

The woman steps boldly up to  Anysley and gripping her shoulders she kisses the woman on both cheeks. "Anysley my sweet it has been so long, This modern garb suits you beautifully." Without waiting for the Anysley's response the new woman spins dramatically to face the rest of the gathered persons of intrests. She smiles wickedly revealing  deadly needle sharp fangs and speaks with a voice carrying a faint french accent.

"Allow me to introduce myself," She makes a flourishing bow. "I am La Maupin, the vampire Alice St Amant, at your service."

Pronounciation
Maupin is pronounced Mow-pin

St Amant is pronounced San- A-mon all as one word[

"You don't drink... anymore? Hm. Interesting. Just thought I would offer." Aynsley said politely as she nodded to the statuesque woman.

"Good evening." she replied to the newly arrived men and woman as the mist began to roll in.

Aynsley smiled as the mist coalesced into a feminine form she recognized.

"So good to see you Alice. I swear it's been a lifetime." she said playfully as she returned the greeting to the woman.

"I do hope your more modern clothes are in the wash though. Not that it is a bad look or anything. Just a bit... conspicuous this day and age, even for you." she added with a playful smile.

Aynsley then turned the rest of the assembled and nodded.

"Aynsley Evermore. Antiquarian. Paranormal Ivestigator. Occult scholar. Mage. How do you do?"

"I appreciate the offer. Sylvia's the name. Hmm." Sylvia regarded the others.

"La Maupin? I don't - huh. That's an interesting name. If you're a vampire, then - I have to ask. Are you that 'La Maupin?' Fencer, nun-seducer, all that?"

She also turned to their handler, Lucy. "Now, I've been reading all those newspapers you told me to but I'm afraid I have no idea who ISIS is. Like, the Egyptian god? Are we fighting one of those?"

Terry gives Barney a nod, but doesn't get to say much more before the fog and overly dramatic vampire roll in. His initial impression of a refugee from the New Romantic 80's is quickly revised by the revelation of her vampire nature and comments by the other ladies.

"Call me Terry. I'm a psychic and ex - soldier. "

He turns to Sylvia, "ISIS, is a fundamentalist Muslim group trying to take over parts of the Middle East. They currently control a chunk of Syria and Iraq. They have a tendency to behead westerners they get there hands on if their demands are not met, but the film doing it and send that to news channels and put it on the Internet. You won't find much about it in the papers at the moment as they are full of the coming election, but if you go back a month or two you may find something. Might be better off looking on line or one of the Middle Eastern news channels. "

Alice studies the other members of her new family and when Sylvia askes her question steps close to the strange woman. "Oui, one and the same. Ma Cherie, you are exquisite, you must tell me all about your self when we have some time."

Her attention is quickly drawn to the rough looking man at the mention of beheading.

"Beheading? No one said anything about beheading."

"Name's May.  Kistune, mistress of illusions and passable fire user.  Nice to meet all of you."  She said nervously

She looks at Alice.

"Um Ma'am, ISIS has been doing this for  years, so it's kinda assumed thing if they are involved."

"The previous cell was nearly wiped out.   That doesn't mean they're going to assemble a new cell to send on the same mission.   Think for a second.   They'd not waste assets on such a task without having a better idea of what the new cell was to face.   That just isn't how our government functions."

"As for beheading, they are known for it, predominantly regarding infidels to their religion.   Still, not much of a threat to a prepared group,.  My guess is they found something more than a bunch of ragheaded fanatics.   I trust you've reports on this, or is there some other task you've called us here for?"

He speared the Lady with his gaze, feeling no need for small talk and what-if's.

"And besides, you need not worry your pretty, little head. They are not real warriors. They behead those they have captured and bound, usually after making some sort of propaganda video. I doubt mundane bonds exist that could hold you." Aynsley said reassuringly.

"Well... unless you wanted them to. Like in a nice bed with a beautiful lover." she added thoughtfully with a smile.

Alice returns Aynsley's smile with lascivious grin of her own, letting her thoughts play across her features of how welcome this reunion could turn out to be.

Not taking her eyes from the sorceress, she throws her words over her shoulder to the other.

"As you say they are but Moors, show me where they cower and i shall descend upon them in the night and drain their lives and feed there bodies to the wolves."

"Well, the particular cell responsible for the murder of almost all of my team, the loss of my eye, and the near de-rezzing of our technical support is no longer." Lucretia said. "The gauntlets of Hercules are back in Greece."

She took a glass of the wine from the table and sat down. "I'm hoping within the hour my final piece in restoring Cell 13 to operation strength will be arriving by Harrier. As everyone here is aware, Cell 13 is the only Sideshow cell that handles the entire planet, assisting the other 12 cells in dealing with higher level cases. While discretion is desired, it is only in the realm of keeping people in the dark that The Sideshow exists. Anything else is more than fair game and we have several covers to choose from for you when necessary. If someone already knows who you are working for they're either someone we've had dealings with in the past, or are supposed to know."

She adjusted the black blazer she was wearing as a modem-like sound was heard, as a girl, about 16 in age started to form. She looked a little cartoonish, dressed like a Japanese Schoolgirl. "Ah... Hana has arrived. We acquired her on a mission rescuing her from a demonically posessed video game. She was the only NPC in that misbegotten program that wasn't tainted. Although it was odd to see a full sentient digital intelligence. The mage who miss Evermore is replacing used her talents to create a malleable "digital shell" for her program to reside in.

Hana nodded, brushing back her shoulder-length black hair from her face. For how cute she looked, she looked a little mournful with her black clothing. "H... hello. Are these the new members?"

"Almost all of them, Hana." Lucretia said. "Now... for those that wish it there's food, drinks... whatever. Try to have fun these are the people you may be dying for after all."

Lucretia had a strange way of trying to bring the peace between her team members... or at the very least creating very creative distractions.

At the interplay between Alice and Aynsley, Sylvia quirked an eyebrow. Huh. They told me that social progress had been made and we didn't need to stay in the closet so much, but I didn't know it was this advanced. 

She then turned towards the newcomer. "That's a video game character? I was expecting a bit more... uh, blocky. Wow. The graphics sure have gotten better. Hi, Hana. I'm Sylvia."

Hana turned to the Gorgon-touched survivor. "You can thank the late Delia-sensei for the creation of this body. Works just like a real one, although I still see your reality like a game world. Then again it's helpful when I can look at someone and get a read out of their health."

"Lucretia here has me on as the team support, namely as a technician and medic. There's times when approaching things a bit more... organized may be needed."

She sits at a chair, holding a charging cord, letting electricity fill her body. "My form of sustenance is taking in electricity. It's how the body holds it's shape when rezzed."

Looking over the group, she smiled. "And forgive the outfit, I was trying to keep a girl calm by dressing in the uniform of her school. She was kidnapped and I managed to download myself through her smart phone. A few well-placed strikes to the neck and her captors were laid down and the two of us escaped to the police."

She scratched her head. "Took some explaining, I had to cover my outward appearance to some gas in the area messing with the perception of things that got released as we escaped. In the police's panic I used that to escape."

She grinned. "Lucretia, you said you had one more?"

Lucretia nodded. "Youko should be delivering her in her usual dramatic flair. I have her radioing me once she's in UK airspace with the Countess."

"Well Miss," Terry says as he turns to Sylvia, "There are still some games that are blocky, but that tends to be by design now rather than due to a limitation of the technology. If you don't mind my asking, just how long have you been out of action?"

"A 'digital shell' created through magic for a sentient program found in a demonically possessed video game? Interesting." Aynsley said as she looked over Hana for a few moments but was then brought back to the conversation at hand by something she heard.

"Umm. Excuse me. 'The people you may be dying for'?" Aynsley asks curiously, but then her attention was grabbed once more.

"A gorgon? You were petrified by one of the gorgons, but are now ambulatory? How is that possible? Just a glimpse through watery eyes or something? Which one was it?" she asked intrigued.

"And for the record, I cannot stand those hags." she adds.

Sylvia shrugged. "No idea which one it was. Hope it's the one that can die. No idea how I'm able to move, either, though it took me a long time to figure out how. I've been talking to all the top minds on the subject and they all figure it's probably magic." She looks mildly uncomfortable to be discussing the subject, weighing her words with care - but she seemed open to the discussion nonetheless.

"I've been researching ways to combat and kill Gorgons. While sentient beings they are classified as Omega level threats because of the near certainty of a fatality... or at least becoming the statue for your memorial. As for a actual cure... curses placed by someone cursed by an ancient god or goddess are rather hard to break, and the Greek pantheon is rather fickle in their boons, if any. Just my bringing the bracers of Hercules back to Greece alone is going to just get me my eye back. Just waiting on the elixir to arrive so I can take it."

Lucretia sighed looking over to Sylvia. "Any hints or inklings as to why you're in your state? I've heard of only one other managing this, but he committed suicide by jumping off a bridge, shattering himself. You've shown some fortitude. A credit to you, no doubt."

She also popped a look quickly to Ainsley. "Who ever said this job was a safe vocation, dear? You'll go in fully aware of what you could face, but it's not a picnic."

She also popped a look quickly to Ainsley. "Who ever said this job was a safe vocation, dear? You'll go in fully aware of what you could face, but it's not a picnic."

"The way you worded it, you made it sound like there was some particular chance that she would be dying for us, not just the general danger of the job." Aynsley retorted

Lucretia looked at her watch, then her smart phone. "Well... seems our 7th member will be further delayed and you won't be meeting Youko for a while... seems there's some stuff to still sort out in France and Youko's taking it on herself to sort things out."

She sighed. "Well, I meant in general, not specific, Aynsley. Nothing more."

"As if wolves need the leavings from your table."

It was all he allowed himself to say, wondering if these two old birds were going move straight to making out with each other here, or if they'd go get a room first.

Alice fixes a cold gaze on cynical man as she pours a bag of blood into a wine glass. "Alas Monsieur Barney, the only true wolves in London are in the zoo." She takes a long drink of the blood and after swallowing make a show of licking her lips. As she is making this revolting yet seductive display, rats begin crawling from the shadows and bats from there resting place begin circling above the gathering, in the far distance  could be heard the howls of those aforementioned wolves. She smiles at Barney. "But all of my pets, even the wolves, appreciate what I leave them. Don't you my sweet things?" The rats all sit up on their hind quarters and the bats land on the canvas covering, screeching loudly. Then with a flick of her wrist the bats launch them selves back into the air and the rats dart back into the shadows. Alice St Amant laughs.

Barney'd been content to watch the others.  He'd never heard of an ambulatory victim of a Gorgon, so Sylvia definitely intrigued him.  The gamesprite from a possessed Video game, well it was weird, but considering his heritage, there was far worse he figured.   Then the vampire pulled her little stunt and his eyes narrowed considerably. 

"So did you play Hamlin as well?"  he offered a thin smile, he didn't know many bloodsuckers who didn't play some sort of instrument.   "Great way to gather information, and keep tabs on people.   Abit low-tech in the modern age, but why fix what isn't broken eh?"

Alice looks shocked she places her hand upon her breast and throws the other over her eyes as she falls back agains the snack table as if she is about to faint.

"You do not know me? But I am La Maupin! I fucking rocked the Paris Opera House."

Without further ado she steps up close to the Man then spins away grabbing Aynsley in  dance embrace and spinning her around as she Breaks into and operatic vocal performance!

what she sings

When She stops she gives Aynsley a dip and  Barney a very devilish stare. "That part was written for me."

"Sorry, not my sort of music."  He nodded politely moving to get something to drink and his thoughts turned inward.  This was looking like it was going to be an interesting cell, and he quietly wondered just what they were all being drawn together for.  Lucretia wasn't talking, having already dodged the issue twice.  He didn't give a fart over her getting her eye back, making deals with Gods always had unseen strings.   Hopefully she'd thought about that before she made whatever bargain she had.

Aynsley blinked as Alice grabbed her and then began to laugh and they spun around. When Alice was finishes she smiled and as she adjusted her tie she looked over at Sylvia.

"Is something the matter? You look very nonplussed." Aynsley asked with a hint of a smile still on her lips.

Lucretia smiled a little. "Come with me, Barney..."

She knew he was the more 'take action' type of operator, but the blotter was a bit blank, then again she wanted to make sure that he wasn't getting too rambunctious. She was sure a case would come up soon, times these days have been interesting... or perhaps it was that chinese curse put on her back in World War Two... it's faded but...

"Actually it seemed there was something on your mind..." Lucretia asked once they were out of the party tent. "I can understand the whole wanting to get to work deal, but I've learned how to appreciate the days of quiet. Doesn't change your salary none."

"I was just wondering if something I said had... raised a question I've not properly answered?"

"Well, I did bring back something that they considered their property to begin with." She said, lighting up a cigarette, although the smell from it didn't seem like Tobacco. "The Greek gods might have a habit of making bad deals, but they're not too notorious for screw-jobs these days. They've sort of mellowed now that they're not the main event in Europe."

She sighed. "The Norse gods like being forgotten and disconnected from the mortal realm. Might mean we miss out on Ragnarok when it happens. As for the other minor leagues around the continent... they're ambivalent. They know what could happen if the Christians catch wind. They are tolerated until they start making moves. Then there's assassinations involved, usually backed by angels."

"I've seen a god killed... twice... talk to Japan. Minor Kami were those assassinated by a fallen Archangel, but that is what happens. You do not want to destroy a deity in the mortal realm. Even if you think you created the universe. Then again for someone who holds the power of the Word..."

She shook her head. "Sorry, I hope I didn't insult you. I work a lot with the Vatican and the other major Abrahamic centers of faith. Trust me, the world is a complex jigsaw held together by so many treaties and promises it makes what caused WWI look like a simple dispute if a deal gets broke or triggered."

"Even Devils follow rules. Even if it doesn't suit them."

"But back to your concern, the gods were pleased with what we sacrificed to accomplish. Hence the "generous" payment of the full restoration of my eye. That and if we get desperate for a job I can call Hephaestus up. There's been some stolen property of his being used in Syria and the Crimea that we could look into at some point."

Archived