IC: L5R: Blood and Jade - The Topaz Championship

Rin excepts the tea from The Crane, bowing her head slightly as she takes the cup from Crane's perfect hand, "Domo."

She then looks at the two Crab Bushi, Hiruma Hanori and Hiruma Sota.

"Do not look for life's Meaning, Only Look to Live." 

She Bows In turn to Hiruma Hanori and Hiruma Sota,

game info
Giving both a bow greater than their stations would normally require. Rin hope to show her gratitude for their service to all and to show that in her eyes Sota, having survived an ordeal such as he has. is not a child.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shinjo Shun looks between the two women at the table and says, "I am a guest of Noriaki-sama and my steed is stabled at his home. It is my understanding that we will not be allowed to use any of our personal equipment to keep the competition fair. I, as with you, would prefer to use my own steed, but I am not deterred as I am confident my skill alone will carry me to victory in my match."

Zoyu glances askance at the Dragon from the corner of her eye as the Rin makes her enigmatic comment that seems to allude to much, but really, says nothing.

"There is more to life than merely living and surviving," Zoyu counters with a demure intensity before she bows to Hiruma Hanori and dips her head to Hiruma Sota. She might find the Crab graceless, grasping, brutish sorts, but even Zoyu couldn't deny the honor of the duty the do on behalf of the Emperor and the Empire.

"No apologies are necessary, Hiruma-sama, Hiruma-san. Indeed, it is I who must apologize. My experiences can hardly compare with your own upon and beyond Kaiu Kabe, I am sure," Zoyu asserts with silken modesty. "Perhaps, at a later time, the both of you will do me the honour and allow me to guide you on a tour of the Kakita Academy grounds and show you some of the best parts of the Empire your duty defends."

Sincerity Roll
Rolling Sincerity (3k2) to tamp down on her natural (and deserved :P) vanity and arrogance to make her sound modest/humble when asserting her experiences don't compare with their own. Which while she believes they don't compare, she hardly believes theirs are better or of more merit than her own. :P

[Asarasa] 8:20 pm: Sincerity Roll 3k2
Asarasa *rolls* 3d10: 1+9+10: 20
     [Carver] 8:20 pm: Hey, Long.
Asarasa *rolls* 1d10: 7: 7

9 + 17 = 26

Zoyu stiffened, then slowly glanced over at the Dragon, eyes narrowing. The Kami preserve me from nonsense-speaking Dragons. Zoyu returns Rin's smile with a small one of her own, though there is a hint of tightness to it as she reaches for the teapot. She was in the process of perhaps seeing if a Crab could learn to appreciate beauty and elegance, she didn't need interruptions, even from an intriguing girl such as Rin.

"Apologies Mirumoto-san, but I have little experience with wise-speaking Dragons such as yourself. Are you wishing another cup of tea?" The words and tone are guileless, but Zoyu's mismatched eyes glitter with playful amusement. "And if you wish, I can seek to  arrange a tour of the Academy for you as well." She turned slightly, addressing the rest of her fellow invitees. "For any of you, if you are so inclined."

Taka glances briefly between the two samurai-ka thinking Just keep your mouth shut Taka. If you say anything it must be the truth and that would probably insult one or both of them, so just stay quiet.

When Zoyu offers tea he accepts with a smile and brief nod. Quickly raising his cup for a long, slow sip to help avoid having to say anything.

"A jug fills drop by drop"

Rin bows to The Crane. "Thank you, Kakita-san, but no, I have had my fill of tea. As for the other I have heard that your Academy has wonderful Training in the arts of Ikebana and Sumi-e, I think I would enjoy seeing that some day."

She sits back at ease smiling.

"Uhhh..." Hanori says, obviously caught off-guard by such an offer. He glances over at his nephew for a moment, watching the boy composing himself.

"Uh, sure," he finally respond, giving Zoyu a nod.

As the eating, drinking and many different conversations took place within the inn the proprietor stood with a smile by the door and addressed the room.

"Honored patrons, please excuse my interruption, but I have just been informed by a runner that the Imperial Barge has been sighted downstream. The Son of Heaven has once again traveled to our modest city to grace the Topaz Championship with his presence. If you wish to view the arrival, then you may wish to make your way toward the dock. Otherwise, we are happy to continue to serving you." the man said with a smile and bow, and stepped away from the door.

Bills are settled and the majority of the patrons head outside, hoping to catch a glimpse of the Emperor's arrival. Outside excitement was palpable as Doji Satsume - The Emerald Champion - walked the streets toward the dock and looked over the frantic preparations to receive the Emperor. Lanterns and paper streams graced every street of Tsuma with vendors and artisans preparing for the evenings festivities.

Gradually samurai begin to gather around the dock while the Heimin stay further back, trying to find a decent vantage point. With a small bit of luck you manage to find a decent area within a dozen feet or so of the dock and eagerly awaited the Emperor's arrival.

The Imperial Barge rounded the bend in the river with the crystal staff on the mast, bearing the Imperial sigil, glinting in the afternoon sun. Gradually the barge came into view, the prow graced by a ornate battering ram carved to look like a splendid dragon while the many oars rhythmically pounded the water while the emerald sail furled in the breeze. The golden decks swarmed with people maneuvering around the catapults to belay the ropes and prepare for docking. At the deft direction of the Master of the Barge, the dragon head swung toward the shore and the ponderous barge slid beside the dock. Spray erupted fore and aft as stones anchors were cast into the water while workers on both dock and ship secured the heavy ornate plank upon the wharf.

With uncanny precision the Imperial Guard, the Miharu of the Seppun family, marched off the barge and formed up on the dock. Back on the barge the Imperial Standard was raised by the Imperial Herald and all by the Guard fell to their knees, with most onlookers actually prostrating themselves.

From your position among the ranks of samurai you can catch a glimpse of the royal entourage and got you first look at The Emperor Hantei XXXVIII, The Son of Heaven. His learn, hard features were scowling slightly beneath is frazzled mane of gray as he stalked through the crowd, followed by his teenage son. He stopped to be greeted by his Emerald Champion and Crane Clan Daimyo, Lord Doji Satsume. Satsume's son,  Doji Hoturi offered greetings as well, followed  by the Head Sensei of the Kakita Dueling Academy, Kakita Toshimoko. Toshimoko gave the Imperial heir a knowing, familiar smile and bow which the boy returned with more than adequate respect. The Emperor continued on and stopped to speak with Lord Kuni Yori for a moment before moving past once pleasantries were completed.

A murmur fell over the crowd as the rest Imperial entourage disembarked, led by the Imperial Herald. Behind him followed Bayushi Shoju, the tall and powerful Daimyo of the Scorpion Clan, whose steely eyes are the only feature visible above his emblazoned mask. The Daimyo's wife, Lady Kachiko,  followed behind politely. Those watching the Lady Kachiko cannot help but be caught off guard at her alluring beauty. Her kimono was of the deepest orchid hue and far from traditional in cut. Her face veiled by a mask that only accentuated her features.

Behind the Scorpions come several more people, all dressed exquisitely. None of them bear Clan mons, but from the difference paid to them, it could be easily surmised that they were of the Imperial families.

The Guard stood in formation and held ranks in exquisite emerald armor. Each of them scowled at the crowd looking for any slight against the Imperial honor as the Emperor took the various greetings from the nobles before finally proceeding into the city and out of view.

The night before the challenges begin the town is alive with celebration. Paper lanterns hang from the buildings trees, and toriis. Iris blossoms are cast upon the Tangu River. The revelers watch costumed artisans act out epic events in Rokugan's history:  Hantei's battle with Lord Moon, Shinjo Saburo's doomed Unicorn charge into the Shadowlands, and the teachings of Shinsei. A parade follows with dragon costumes, fire crackers, dancers, and jugglers The revelry is sure to continue into the wee hours...

Notes. Please Read
You can post your general actions for the night (like how late you stay out), or you can continue to RP through the festivities.

Bayushi Shoju: Daimyo of the Scorpion Clan. It is said that nobody has ever seen his full face. Not even his wife, Kachiko. He has many masks, all of which are elaborate, multi-piece, articulated, and removable in sections, allowing him to even eat without removing his mask.

Bayushi Kachiko: Wife of Bayushi Shoju and sister of the Shosuro family Daimyo.

Shinjo Shun will socialize for a little while and watch the tales that are being told, especially the one about the Unicorn Clan. He will return to his host's estate to ensure he is well rested for the activities of the next day.

Taka will happily wander the celebrations trying out the food and drink on offer. He is most interested in the portrayal of the Unicorn ride into the Shadowlands and the teaching of Shinsei, but will return to our host's house after seeing the Dragon dancers in the parade.

After an hour or so of meditation he will scrape his head, as he does every night, and retire for a good nights sleep.

Rin stood with the rest of her fellow invitees but was quickly growing impatient, she has never been fond of being spectator. Finally, the pageantry over and the festivities beginning she looked around as her new companions started to wander off and she caught The Crane's eye, and sauntered over to her.

"Kakita-san would you care to begin experiencing? I am tired of Tea." She gives the incredibly Beautiful woman a much more frank and admiring look than previously. "Let us gather Kitsu-san and find someplace that is less restrictive."

if one or both agree to accompany her they will try to find a place where sake will be served to "minors" then see where things go from there. if both decline she will go to the House of Poisoned water by herself

Having grown up amidst the Kakita Artisan Academy with her parents and been training at the Dueling Academy since her seventh year, Zoyu had born witness many times to the Topaz Championship and the Emperor and his entourage. Still, this year, on the cusp of adulthood, Zoyu was particularly excited and thrilled with the celebration and the sheer magnitude of the luminaries attending her - and others - gempukku at the Topaz Championship.

Toshimoko-sama and Hoturi-sama were the epitome of what it meant to be Crane in Zoyu`s eyes, all she aspired to be as a Samurai. She hope she would be able to attract their gaze and interest with her performance during the Topaz Championship. But despite herself, Zoyu kept finding her eyes drawn to Kachiko-sama, feeling a hint of scandalous desire and an unaccustomed spike of jealously for her incredible, sensual beauty.

Noting Rin's admiring glance her way, Zoyu flashed her a brief, coquettish grin in return and nodded her head in agreement. "I'm sure there is in Tsuma that which you will find to your interest, Mirumoto-san. And let us see if we can encourage Kitsu-san to lower her hood and join us, perhaps favor us with a song or two on her shakuhachi."

As they circulated through Tsuma with the fall of night, some of Zoyu's poised elegance was replaced with a vivacious exuberance, joining the dancers with fluid grace. It was easy to imagine Zoyu participating in courtly dances, but she flowed through the steps of the folk dances just as easily and delighted, encouraging the women with her and the men around her to join in as well, all the while attempting and learning any new dances she did not know, and shameless enjoying any attention she draws.

After Hours

Zoyu will mention the House of Poisoned Water as an easy place to get Sake, though of course she had never visited such a place. Zoyu will be more inclined to let the celebration progress for a some time, then charm/persuade a man to get them some real sake and offer Rin a friendly wager as to whether getting easy Sake versus Quality Sake is better.

Zoyu will revel in the celebration longer than she has before, since she is now nearly an adult, though not so late as to be completely wrecked the next day, though garning the attention of men - and women - may encourage to stay out a bit later than she might have intended. Very much enjoying the dancing, both participating and watching any true Dancing Artisans she comes across. If she comes across either of the Hiruma or Kuni Taka during the night, she'll go out of her way to make them feel welcome and enjoy the revels, honestly thanking them for their duty on the Wall, but trying to make sure they appreciate the difference between merely surviving and truly living.

With the dawn, will offer her prayers to her ancestors like she typically does, then go through a warm-up dancing routine and weapon kata, also her usual routine, regardless of how tire or how she feels after the night.

Akari had spent some time catching up with her classmate and his traveling companions before departing to see the festival.

As she observes, Akari takes notes of the festivities as they occur,  she then headed towards Zoyu and Rin over hearing their plans.

"Um, mind if I tag along with you both, Kakita-San, Mirumoto-san?   Figure it would be more enjoyable to enjoy the festival with good company."

Poor Akari has no Idea what she's getting herself into.

The festivities continued on into the night. The mood was fun and light, with an excitement in the air. The townspeople, guests and competitiors enjoyed the party, with the exception of Kakita Ujimitsu, who Zoyu could see heading for a town gate.

"Ujimitsu-san? Where are you going, the festivities have just begun!" Zoyu asked with a joyful tone and smile.

"Away from this noise, to practice kata." he answered flatly. "Enjoy the festivities." he added with a bow and then turned and exited through the gate causing Zoyu to shrug and roll her eyes.

The girls (Zoyu, Rin, Akari and Kageko) spent the night carousing together, managing to procure some sake once people were properly relaxed, and continued on with their dancing (which Zoyu does quite well indeed), watching the performances of the talented Kakita Artisans and the awe-inspiring fireworks show. Kageko even takes some time to tell several stories of champions and Emperors of Rokugan's past (Bard skill). Akari is the first of the girls to turn in for the night. Not long after Kageko began to politely encourage the others to turn in as well. The morning will come swiftly if one indulges too late into the night...

The guys enjoy the festival as well, though not to the extent of the girls.

Shun, Taka and Usagi enjoyed sampling the different foods and drinks offered in the streets and took in several plays which told the stories of Shinjo Saburo's doomed Unicorn charge into the Shadowlands, and the teachings of Shinsei. The talented dragon dancers were a particular highlight to the night before before they returned to Noiriaki's estate and prepared for bed, ensuring he would be ready for the morning.

Toshi spent his time searching through crowd, enjoying himself and the atmosphere to be sure, until he finally found Lord Shoju and the Lady Kachiko relaxing, with Bayushi Tangen serving as an impromptu yojimbo. With a nod Toshi was allowed to approach and offer his respects to his Clan Daimyo and wife with a deep, kneeling bow.

"Arise young Shosuro." Lady Kachiko said, patting Toshi on the shoulder and taking his hand to guide him to his feet once more.

"Being invited to such a prestigious event is an honor, and I am sure you will do the Scorpion Clan proud." she continued.

"Here." she said as she reached up and pulled one of the long, decorative pins, capped with a stylized scorpion, from her hair, letting her luxurious, dark hair fall about her bare shoulders in an alluring cascade.

"For luck." she said with a smile, and stuck the pin into Toshi's obi (cloth belt)  with a single, fluid motion, letting the back of her hand brush along his abdomen.

"Do not indulge too long. You take your first steps into... manhood... tomorrow." Lady Kachiko advised with half-lidded eyes and a sly smile.

"I will be watching, Shosuro." Lord Shoju's dark voice oozed from behind his exquisite mask. He gave a small bow, as did Lady Kachiko before they continued on with their stroll. Tangen stood for a moment and blinked. After finally catching himself he walked briskly a few steps to catch up to the couple.

After composing himself Toshi too walked briskly, though back toward the estate with a pleased smile on his face beneath his mask.

Rumors and gossip abounded throughout the crowd all night. The more colorful and interesting along them,,,

• Miya Yoto would be Master of Ceremonies this year

• With a full fifth of the competitors being from Minor Clans, it seems the Minor Clans are tying to make a bid or statement this year.

• Shiba Izumi may dress as a Phoenix, but her mother was a Scorpion and she's been seen spending a lot of time with them.

• The hunting test involves a very aggressive fish that can run on land, nest in trees and attack you with claws.

• The most favored in the Iaijutsu tournament are the Kakita, Shiba and the Bayushi.

• Nobody has seen the Clanless competitor yet.

• Akodo Yokasu stands to inherit a castle and become a minor Daimyo upon entering adulthood.

• The Otakus' steeds eat red meat.

• Kakita Ujimitsu's family has fallen on hard times and he needs to win the Topaz Championship to help them out.

• Lord Kuni Yori is only here by accident, having been passing through when the festival started so he was obligated to stay.

• Unicorn horses sleep laying down.

The staff at Noriaki's estate are up and waiting for your return in the night, assisting each of you with sleep preparations and offering meals and the like. The guys sleep in one room while the girls sleep in another.

The next morning you are all awoken early, giving time to eat, meditate, practice and bathe (once again by gender), before dressing and heading to the Kakita Dueling Academy for the first events of the day.

The earth has barely shed its dampness as all of the competitors assembled right outside of the Kakita Dueling Academy dressed in your finery.

All of the spectators had entered already as all of the contestants prepared to enter, forming two single-file lines. Students from the Academy stand in four small lines of just over a dozen, lining the pathway. Each group wears a different color obi. Their kamishimo bear their mon - most are from the Crane Clans, but two Unicorns, a Lion, a Dragon and a Phoenix are also present. Under their gaze, you each felt the questioning your skill, just as you question it yourself.

A sound of marching could be heard from behind. As a group the contestants turn and look to see the Prince Hantei Satorii escorted by his Imperial Guard. The young prince bows as the assembled contestants kneel and bow.

"Please, rise." the Prince asked politely. "I apologize for the guard, but it is a burden of my station."

"It is time for my gempukku as well and after much convincing of my Father, I am here to take my place among you, some of Rokugan's finest young samurai. I wish you all luck today and know we will all bring honor and glory to our families." the Prince said with polite smile. He has a ease about him, for the Heir to the Empire, like he was aware of his station, but did not use it to lord over people constantly or feel superior.

At the behest of the Cranes and Lion, Prince Satorii took a place at the front of a line and without a word, the assembly began its march towards destiny.

The first contest of the Topaz Championship is sumai. The contest is held within the primary dojo of the Kakita Dueling Academy. Spectators, luminaries from across Rokugan as well as other samurai, encircle a matted arena. As the contestants entered the crowd murmured for a moment at the sight of the young Prince until a hush fell over them at the raising of Miya Yoto's hand. One at a time, Master of Ceremonies Miya Yoto called each contestant to kneel at the center of the mat. Once all of the contestants have been called, Miya Yoto was presented with a golden vessel in which was small tiles with the cop of each contestant. He draws two, selecting by lottery the paired contestants....

Topaz Championship - Day 1: Sumai

Shinjo Shun vs Akodo Yokasu

Agasha Chouko vs Bayushi Daisuke

Isawa Akari vs Hiruma Sota

Haneti Satorii vs Mamushi Kichiro

Kakita Zoyu vs Mirumoto Rin

Shosuro Toshi vs Kakita Ujimitsu

Kuni Taka vs Mamushi Mitsuko

Otaku Etsuko vs Asako Kaito

Kitsu Kageko vs Hitoe (Mantis)

Shiba Izumi vs Doji Chinatsu

Usagi Massanori vs Hiju (Unaligned)

Notes. Please Read
Miya Family: The Miya are the family of Imperial Heralds and peacemakers. They are considered one of the Imperial Families, but lack the noble blood of the founders of the other Imperial families. As such, they are much more close to the common people of Rokugan and easily the most approachable of the Imperials.

Master of Ceremonies: The Mater of Ceremonies of the Topaz Championship is tradtionally an esteemed member of the Crane Clan. It is a bit unusual for Miya Yoto to fill the position this year,

Event Mechanics: Sumai
This event is a Match (1 on 1). Only the winner gains a point toward their Gempukku.

For the Sumai contest, nor armor or weapons are permitted.

To win you must maintain a grapple on your opponent for 3 rounds or until a judge declares a winner.

Grapple:

1.) The grappling character must make an Agility + Hand-to-hand roll vs. his opponent's Agility x 5.

2.) If successful, the opponent is grappled and automatically takes normal Hand-to-hand damage (Strength + 0k1). For one Raise the Grappling character can have the option of inflicting no damage.

3.) The grappled character will continue to stay grappled and take damage unless he makes a Contested Strength or Agility + Hand-to-hand roll vs. the grappler's Strength or Agility + Hand-to-hand.

The Sumai matches begin!

Most of the matches go as expected when courtiers and shugenja are forced to wrestle with bushi.

The most anticipated matches and highlights include...

Haneti Satorii vs Mamushi Kichiro: The match was easily the most watched, especially by the Imperial Guard. The young Viper bushi did well, but the Prince barely overtook him in the end.

Kakita Zoyu vs Mirumoto Rin: Anytime a Akkita and Mirumoto face off, it is sure to draw a crowd. Mirumoto proved to be no match fo Zoyu's speed, though Zoyu's lack of skill was apparent in the excessive injury she inflicted on the young Dragon which drew disapproving looks from the Crane elders.

Akodo Yokasu vs Shinjo Shun: Bushi vs Bushi matches always draw attention. Akodo was the favorite, and proved why, though the Unicorn put up a valiant effort, even having the upper-hand on Akodo early in the match.

Kuni Taka vs Mamushi Mitsuko: Though a shugenja, Taka was still a Crab. Many wondered how he would fair against a trained bushi. After escaping several successful grapples Taka managed to turn the tables and secure victory, proving that Crab shugenja were far more than priests and academics.

Once the matches ended any injuries are tended to by the Crane masseurs and healers, ensuring the contestants would be fresh for the next event of the day.

All of the contestants were then gathered and brought to a side room of the Kakita Dojo. Inside the main hall the judge and spectators awaited as each contestant was brought in individually to kneel before Miya Yoto where they were then present with five mons and chops and asked to identify them...

Standings after 1 event

1 - Haneti Satorii

0 - Agasha Chouko

1 - Akodo Yokasu

0 - Asako Kaito

1 - Bayushi Daisuke

0 - Doji Chinatsu

1 - Hiruma Sota

1 - Hitoe (Mantis)

0 - Isawa Akari

1 - Kakita Ujimitsu

1 - Kakita Zoyu

0 - Kitsu Kageko

1 - Kuni Taka

0 - Mamushi Kichiro

0 - Mamushi Mitsuko

0 - Mirumoto Rin

1 - Otaku Etsuko

1 - Shiba Izumi

0 - Shinjo Shun

0 - Shosuro Toshi

? - Usagi Massanori

? - Hiju (Unaligned)

All of the contestants were then gathered and brought to a side room of the Kakita Dojo. Inside the main hall the judge and spectators awaited as each contestant was brought in individually to kneel before Miya Yoto where they were then present with five mons and chops and asked to identify them...

Topaz Championship - Day 1: Heraldry

Event Mechanics: Heraldry
This event is a Test. Each contestant is tested individually and any who pass gain a point toward their Gempukku.

For this test, the contestants are brought before a judge individually and asked to identify a given mon or chop.

Five are presented, each more difficult than the last.

A contestant must successfully identify three of the five in order to pass the test.

Successfully identifying four or more at such a young age is well respected.

Successfully identifying all five earns the contestant an extra point.

Roll: Intelligence (or Perception) + Heraldry.

TNs in order: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25

The Heraldry test concluded with more than half of the contestants passing and earning a single point toward their gempukku. Doji Chinatsu, Kitsu Kageko and Mamushi Mitsuko all received perfect scores and earned two points each. Unfortunately, Hiruma Sota, Hitoe (the Mantis), Kakita Zoyu and Mirumoto Rin all failed to correctly identify at least three of the mons and chops, and therefore received no points.

After a short break all of the contestants are brought to a small, wooded area just outside of town where an course had been cut through the woods long ago. The spectators are assembled, shading themselves with parasols mostly as Miya Yoto draws tiles once again, setting the match ups for this contest. The Seppun Miharu jog out along the course, standing guard while the Prince's match is conducted first, and then withdrawing once his match is completed.

Topaz Championship - Day 1: Athletics

Hantei Satorii vs Doji Chinatsu

Knui Taka vs Hiju (Unaligned)

Akodo Yokasu vs Shinjo Shun

Mamushi Mitsuko vs Otaku Etsuko

Isawa Akiri vs Mamushi Kichiro

Agasha Chouko vs Kakita Ujimitsu

Bayushi Daisuke vs Shosuro Toshi

Kakita Zoyu vs Asako Kaito

Mirumoto Rin vs Shiba Izumi

Hiruma Sota vs Kitsu Kageko

Usagi Massanori vs Hitoe (Mantis)

Event Mechanics: Athletics

The athletics competition is a obstacle course, where the contestants are supposed to demonstrate their sheer physical speed and coordination by completing the course as quickly as possible. The course consists of
three major obstacles separated by lengthy runs. A simple series of rolls is necessary to complete the course. Every Raise a competitor makes during the course grants him a point over his opponent. Every failed roll costs the competitor a point. At the end of the course, whoever has earned the most points has finished first and wins the match, earning a point toward their gempukku.

You do not have to take raises. One can always try for base successes and hope their opponent fails a roll (especially when taking Raises) here or there.

The contestants are only within view of spectators for the first and last sprint. The rest of the course is through a thick, wooded area (that is so difficult to pass as to make cheating by taking a shortcut impossible).

Course Start: Stamina+Athletics roll, TN 10

Obstacle 1: The first obstacle is a narrow wooden bridge crossing a wide, muddy-bottomed stream bed. Crossing the narrow bridge requires an Agility/Athletics roll, TN 10.

Only one contestant may cross at a time, although they may be close behind one another.

Alternatively, a contestant may forgo the bridge and attempt the jump the river bed with a Strength + Athletics roll, TN 20.

A contestant who fails the roll to cross the bridge or jump the riverbed falls into the mud, and must make two Agility rolls, both TN 10, to escape. Falling into the mud costs a contestant two race points.

Contestants who wish to force one another into the mud while on the bridge must make an Opposed Raw Agility roll. The winner has forced his opponent off the bridge, although this is a dishonorable act.

Running: Stamina+Athletics roll, TN 15

Obstacle 2: A large pit has been filled with mud, thickened with a variety of herbal compounds. Weighted ropes are suspended over the pit. Contestants must jump and grab a rope (Agility+Athletics, TN 10), then swing themselves to the other side (Agility+Athletics, TN 15).

Anyone who falls in must make three successful Agility+Athletics rolls at TN 10 to get out, and loses three race points.

Running: Stamina+Athletics roll, TN 15

Obstacle 3: A large wooden wall blocks the path, reaching a full 15 feet into the air. The boards used in the wall's construction are offset slightly, and can serve as handholds so that the wall may be climbed. This requires an Agility+Athletics roll, TN 15.

Final Sprint: Stamina+Athletics roll, TN 20

The Athletics races, much like the Sumai matches, go largely as expected when Courtiers and shugenja are pitted against bushi is physical pursuits, with the exception of Kuni Taka who managed to beat the Unaligned bushi, Hiju (even if with some difficulty at the end) and Shosuro Toshi who managed to beat Bayushi Daisuke it what seemed to be a 'tortoise & hare' race.

The next two hours were spent having lunch, bathing (for those contestants who fell in the mud), as well as time spent meditation among the various stunning gardens of Tsuma as well as participating in Tea Ceremonies in an attempt to push aside the excitement, stress and/or fear of the day and to re-center and focus on the upcoming tasks.

Lunch Break Note
Because this is your first 'adventure', and you are still learning the system and realizing shortfalls in skills and such, and because there is such a pleasant atmosphere around Tsuma with it's beautiful gardens and such, (and because I am nice... for now) everybody gets back 1 Void (if needed).

After lunch the contestants were gathered in the main courtyard of the Kakita Dueling Academy where the spectators were assembled and a small course was set up for the Horsemanship contests. With a warm smile the venerable Miya Yoto reached into his golden vessel and began to withdraw tiles, making the match-ups for this contest.

Topaz Championship - Day 1: Horsemanship

Haneti Satorii vs Mirumoto Rin

Shinjo Shun vs Doji Chinatsu

Kitsu Kageko vs Asako Kaito

Bayushi Daisuke vs Kakita Ujimitsu

Mamushi Mitsuko vs Shosuro Toshi

Isawa Akari vs Hiruma Sota

Akodo Yokasu vs Mamushi Kichiro

Kuni Taka vs
Hitoe

Hiju vs Agasha Chouko

Kakita Zoyu vs Shiba Izumi

Usagi Massanori vs Otaku Etsuko

Event Mechanics: Horsemanship
Much like the athletics competition, this contest is a match between two competitors on a set course.

Also like the athletics competition, the contestants earn points toward a victory here by making Raises. Every Raise gains a point, and every failed roll loses a point.

When the course is complete, the contestant with the most points is victorious and gains one point toward his gempukku.

Fine Quality horses and weapons are provided by the Crane (Beautiful/Extravagant ornamentation for all, Sorry, you cannot use your own) for the sake of fairness.

Remember: While on horseback you cannot use combat skills (including Defense) at a level higher than your Horsemanship skill.

For example:

If you have Kenjutsu 3 and Horsemanship 1, then while mounted your Kenjutsu is considered to be 1.
If you have Kenjutsu 3 and Horsemanship 0, then while mounted your Kenjutsu is considered to be 0 (though 10's will still explode as long as you actually possess the Kenjutsu skill).

Note on skill names: Kyujutsu = Rokugani Archery, Youmanri = Gainjin Archery

The course consists of the following rolls:

1) Ride the course to the first target: Agility + Horsemanship, TN 5

2) Strike the target from horseback: Agility + Kenjutsu, TN 10

3) Ride to the second target area: Agility + Horsemanship, TN 5

4) While riding, fire an arrow at target: Reflexes + Kyujutsu, TN 15 (Those with the Yomanri skill can use it instead, but you do not have time to 'aim').

5) Return to the start: Agility + Horsemanship, TN 10

The horsemanship matches concluded with a few surprises...

Both Unicorns, Shinjo Shun and Otaku Etsuko, won their matches, though by significantly smaller margins that many had expected. Doji with the natural grace of the Crane and Usagi with the agility of the Hare both lost by narrow margins against the most skilled horsemen in the competition. Though they did not earn a point, they both put on an impressive showing against the Unicorn.

Hiruma Sota and Mirumoto Rin both showed their total lack of familiarity with horses, having to concede their matches to the disappointment of many. This was not entirely unexpected given the Hiruma Scouts' preference for travel by foot and the mountainous lands of the Dragon Clan. In the most anticipated match, Kakita Ujimitsu was victorious over Bayushi Daisuke by the slimmest of margins.

The most entertaining match of the day was clearly the Crab shugenja, Kuni Taka riding against the Mantis bushi, Hitoe. Taka demonstrated more skill and capability than most has expected when they saw on a Crab Shugenja on horseback, while Hitoe, having no particular familiarity with horses relied on her instincts and natural coordination. The result was an impressive match with both managing to guide their steeds through the course deftly, each hitting both targets with sword and bow and crossing the finish line so close together as to make it impossible to call. The Judge, Kakira Yuri, Decided that both samurai were had displayed such impressively skill and were so evenly match that he awarded both contestants a point. Quite the contest!

Topaz Championship - Day 1: Conduct (Law, Etiquette and Bushido)

After a small break the contestants moved inside the Kakita Dojo for the Conduct test. All of the contestants demonstrated their knowledge of the law, proper etiquette or the code of bushido, with every contestant passing the test!

With the contests of the first day of the Topaz Championship concluded, all of the contestants fared at least moderately well earning at least 2 points, while Prince Satorii, Kakita Ujimitsu, Kuni Taka and Otaku Etsuko had already earned the required five points to secure the passing of their gempukku and their moving into adulthood at the conclusion of the Topaz Championship in two days.

With the afternoon sun withdrawing for the even the contests all had some time to bathe and prepare for dinner, hosted by the Crane, for all the contestants and luminaries. Walking through Tusma, toward the bridges leading to the Kakita Dueling Academy was a pleasant time. The streets are lines with lanterns and the streamers flutter in the wind. Townspeople are beginning to trickle into the streets as the small food and drink vendors begin to set up, preparing for the second night of festivities while merchants offer all manner of party favors. With this growing level of activity also comes the occasional accident, mostly small bumps and collisions that are overlooked, but one small merchant, with a loaded pack on his back could be seen sweeping up some broken porcelain while grumbling to himself and some kids playing nearby.

This main dojo of the Kakita Dueling Academy hosts the dinner. Several tables have been set up with mats for sitting while a larger table and mats rests on a small platform (maybe a foot high) for the Emperor and the Imperial entourage. Each table is graced with stunning displays of ikebana, each one a masterpiece in its own right. The dinner itself was prepared by Kakita Master Artisans, easily making it the most beautiful and delicious meal any outside of the Imperial Entourage have ever enjoyed. Between courses the diners were entertained with small performances by Kakita Artisans. Each performance was short and kept the mood light and festive with acts ranging from dancers accompanied by musicians, to acrobats and even a jovial jester who Hiruma Sota seems to particularly enjoy as evident by his extreme laughter.

The talk at the tables is light, mostly about the food, decorations, performances and the contests of the day. Those who fell in the mud or could not even ride a horse were playfully ribbed, while the dark horse  of the competition, Kuni Taka, was complimented. At one point Taka could even swear he got a barely perceptible nod from his Family Daimyo, Kuni Yori, who was sitting at the Emperor's table.

Once the meals ended some of the contestants linger to drink tea, enjoy the scenery and chat while most start filtering out and back to Tsuma. Small lanterns throughout the shadow-filled courtyard illuminate the way to the bridges as several voices could be heard coming from one of the gardens where the Emperor strolled accompanied by his son, Lord Miya Yoto, The Emerald Champion, Doji Satsume, Lord Bayushi Shoju and his wife, Lady Kachiko and Lord Kuni Yor, who was speaking.i

"My Emperor, the Crab Clan has performed its duty for centuries, protecting the Empire from the threats of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. That threat though, I am afraid, can no longer be contained by just the Kaiu Kabe. We have seen more and incidents of maho throughout the Empire. The Tsukai-segasu hunt down maho-tsukai, but they are few in number and the threat extends beyond maho. Yobanjin sorcerers raid the lands of the Phoenix, The Unicorn have suffered all manner of gaijin sorcery and claim they can control those which they practice. And there is the threat of magics from gaijin in the Ivory Kingdoms and across the sea. It is too much for just the Tsukai-segasu and their Asako Inquisitor allies to contend with. I implore you, please select a Jade Champion once more. The position has been vacant from centuries and the dark forces conspiring against the Empire have used that time to spread into dark places across the Empire." Lord Kuni pleaded.

"I know this may seem dire to you, Lord Kuni, but I am afraid you exaggerate. The Empire has been prospering and enjoying a lengthy peace. The maho-tsukai you speak of are nothing more than disgruntled peasants who cannot understand or even focus the dark magic. The Tsukai-segasu like to use them as a bump in the night to keep the rest of the Empire frightened, along with the Yobanjin sorcerers. The Yobanjin are nothing but a few raiders on mangy horses and there has been no major threat from a maho-tsukai in centuries. If there were, the Emerald Army would put them down. Even you must acknowledge that attacks on the wall have even been decreasing in both frequency and intensity." the Emerald Champion and Crane Clan Daimyo, Lord Doji Satsume retorted.

Lord Kuni closed his eyes and took in a small breath through his nose before opening his eyes once more and responding to the Emerald Champion,

"Yes they have, and a tactical mind, such as you posses, must see that they are gathering strength. And yes, these maho-tsukai have not posed a great threat as of late, but only due to the unwavering dedication of the Tsukai-segasu. They root them out before they can becomes a major threat, but they keep finding more and more of them and they are closer and closer to amassing power each time. The fact that the knowledge of maho continues to circulate and birth more maho-tsukai is what truly concerns me. There is more happening beneath the surface than we are aware of. This requires a Jade Champion and the appointment of Jade Magistrates to assist the Tsukai-segasu and Asako Inquisitors. This is a matt-" Lord Kuni stopped abruptly as the Emperor raised his hand.

"That is enough for tonight, Lord Kuni." the Emperor stated in a firm, yet polite tone. "This is a night for celebration as some of the finest youths of the Empire sit on the cusp of adulthood."

"Yes, my Emperor." Lord Kuni replied before kneeling and bowing to him. "If you will excuse me." he added and rose, taking a step back before turning to exit the garden, his path leading him to cross paths with you all...

RP Note. Please Read.
If you want to speak with any particular contestant NPC at dinner, it can certainly be RPed. The Imperial Entourage is a bit more difficult to get to though.

The rest of that night is open for RP as well. Talk to each other. Talk to NPCs. Try to gather info. Enjoy the festivites. Shop. Fix tomorrows contests. You know, whatever.

Notes. Please Read.
Kaiu Kabe: The Kaiu Wall is a massive wall build at the edge of the Shadowlands which the Crab use to defend the Empire and launch patrols and assaults from.

Tsukai-segasu: The Kuni Witch-Hunters. Specially trained to hunt down and deal with maho-tsukai. They are few in number and often work with Asako Inquisitors.

Asako Inquisitors: A small sub-group of shugenja trained to invitigate reports of maho and dea with them. They often work with a Tsukai-segasu.

Rin sits at the dinner dressed in the Fine gift of her Sponsor but she eats sparingly, while it is the best she has ever fed upon for her it tastes like ashes. She smiles when she is supposed to and makes small talk but the animated boisterousness youth her companions have come to know in such short time is not to be found. When the Jesters ridicule her she stiffens and it is only the the touch on her arm of Kitsu Kageko which stays her hand and calms her anger.

I have become distracted by the world, she thinks to herself, the praise I received at Academy has gone to my head. I have forgotten the Way Of the Warrior. I must not Dishonor my Family further.

As soon as it is allowed She returns to the house of her sponsor to pray, meditate, and prepare.

Taka listens carefully with growing concern both at the growing and unfamiliar threats that his Family Daimyo recounts and the casual dismissal of them by both the Emerald Champion and the Emperor, although he is not surprised that the Crane and the Emperor would act in the same way.

Turning to his fellow shugenja while the conversation continues he silently mouths to them with a confused face, "Yobanjin?" and receives a nod from Kageko.

Shinjo Shun arrived at the dinner wearing the outfit his host provided him and will make casual conversation with his fellow contestants. He pays attention to the conversation that was had by the Emerald Champion, Emperor, and the others discussing the potential threats the empire might be facing.

During the first night following the start of the Topaz Championship, Zoyu enjoyed the fantastic performances of the Kakita Artisans - especially the dancers - while trying to conceal a vague sense of disappointment and dissatisfaction. She had done reasonably well during the first day of competition, but not exceptionally enough to have earned enough points to pass her gempukku like several others had, nor had any exceptional matches. Instead, her Heraldry test had been an embarrassment and her unfamiliarity with Sumai had caused her to injure a friend...

... Who seemed to be avoiding her now. Zoyu supposed she would have to find some other way to amuse herself this evening. She didn't believe she would have difficulty doing so. She took time to congratulate those who had excelled the first day and had already earned enough points to pass their gempukku.

It took some extra effort to assuage the wary Seppun guards of her intentions to exchange a few words with the Emperor's son, flattering him for his excellent showing and sharing some words about Toshimoko-sama, who they both had the honour of learning from. She hoped she would have the honour of watching compete in the illustrious Iaijutsu competition, she complimented, while trying to subtly attract his eye - he was the Emperor's son after all, it might be reaching above her station, but their marriage would uphold the tradition of the Emperor choosing a Crane bride and a coup for her. She praised Taka's efforts in his horsemanship match and even had some genuine, non-teasing words for Ujimitsu's showing... and assured him a smile wouldn't impede his efforts.

Witnessing Ujimitsu's excellent efforts, Zoyu resisted the urge she orginally had to prepare for the Hunting test tomorrow by locating a Tsu Fish nest tonight and instead spent another night enjoying the celebration. This time though, she took special attention to see if she could find Kakita Toshimoko and Doji Hoturi - both Cranes well known for their love of life and women - enjoy the festivities with. She would worry about the Topaz Championship again on the morrow.

As long as there was the Iaijutsu competition, the Championship was still hers to win. Though she would have to watch out for Shiba Izumi - she would have to pay careful attention to the Weapon matches tomorrow to hopefully garner insight into any other potential threats in the Iaijutsu duels.

Toshi stepped aside from Lord Kuni's path politely, while putting into place the information he had heard. Most interesting. A small smile crossed his face. Very interesting indeed.

The Crabs did provide a valuable service to the Empire, and while they might harp overmuch or be very obstinate about aid in their task - given the magnitudes of strife they insisted they faced - that very fact gave this appeal credence. If a major Crab family daimyo - one of the foremost experts, was directly looking for help.... Lord Doiji Satsume was making a very bad error.

Granted it was not for this night - but knowledge, and preparation is power. The Scorpions after all, were used to dealing with the dirty sides of the Empire.

Akari would bow as Lord Kuni passed.  

For the most part, Akari is relived at her current standing.   All she needs is Two More Points and She gets to be a adult.

Before she sits down she heads over to Kuni Taka and bows.

"Congratulations, Kuni-San!   You're victories were very impressive today.  Keep it up and you'll have a great tale to tell your family someday."  Akari said sincerely, congratulating her companion

Kageko waited for Lord Kuni to pass and then motioned with her head at the garden, reminding the others that they were still in earshot. With a small smile and motion of her hand she indicated for them to continue walking. Lord Kuni was already nearing the bridge, so Kageko made sure to walk at a slow pace to make his lead put him out of earshot. Once they were all on the bridge, Kageko stopped and turned toward the water, looking it over and watching the lanterns drift by in the moonlight. The sound of the festivities was faint and muffled by the walls and distance

"The Yobanjin are barbarians from the north. They raid the northern most lands of the Phoenix from time to time. The Unicorn had some interactions with them as well. They ride shaggy horses, from what I recall. And they are primitive and tribal, not so much an empire, but just an area of land that their tribes control. There are fantastic stories that some ride giant serpents, some that even fl, but wild and fantastic are many of the stories from the Unicorn about their travels." Kageko explained, recalling her History calss and well as the many bardic stories she knows.

"They do have a form magic though, different from our own. But I remember something from the account of an Isawa shugenja saying that their magic angers the kami, and that the kami were more than happy to oblige a shugenja when they cast a spell against the barbarian sorcerers." she remembered as she pulled back her hood, revealing her fiery main of hair.

"If you wish to know more, I suppose I could summon and consult with Ikoma-sama. There is little he does not know, even in death, but he is wily and not always clear with his answers. An offering of good sake may help with that though." Kageko said with a smile.

"As far as the Jade Champion though... Just as the Emerald Champion protects and represents the Emperor in all things martial, the Jade Champion did the same in all things magical. Not just dealing with maho-tsukai, though that was a significant part of it. The Jade Champion and his magistrates also kept an eye on the development of magic in the Empire and watched and studied strange gaijin magics so as to protect the Empire from them, should the need arise. The position has been vacant for several centuries after the Isawa Council of Elemental Masters convinced the Emperor that the position was no longer need. The position still exists though, the Emperor did not dispose of it. It simply has not been filled in centuries." she added.

Shinjo Shun speaks up once he confirms others are not around and says, "If you really want to learn more about these Yobanjin, you will probably need to convince a Shugenja in my clan to reveal more about them."

Taka bows back Akari, "Thank you Iswara-san but I am untutored in many of these events and rely on luck and common sense. My place in these tests lies mainly in the laps of the Kami"

He turns to listen to Shun.

"Perhaps Shinjo-san, but since none are here maybe Iswara-san has heard of such incidents since they have apparently occurred near or in the lands of the Phoenix. "

Taka turns to her, "Well Iswara-san, have you anything to add? "

Rin paused with her fellow competitors as the august personages talked ahead of them. When the rest of the company headed into the garden at Kageko's behest, she quietly split off and went her own way alone.

The House of Noriaki was quiet when Rin arrived the servants all eager to please but she politely shooed them away not wishing their fawning ministrations. Instead she undressed and washed herself and then dressed in her traveling cloths, taking up her boken she went into the dark garden and knelt to prey and meditate. After a time she stood and began her kata.

Faster and faster the wooden swords sliced the air. As she swung the weighted practice swords she went through every lesson she had been taught, every example she had been shown. She did not notice when the others returned or when some came into the garden to watch her.

All that existed were her swords and herself and her ancestor. When she was exhausted and drenched in sweat she found a clear spot there in the garden and slept on the hard ground as she had done many years before as a child in the castle.

“It is difficult to realize the true Way just through sword-fencing. Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things.â€

Taka bows back Akari, "Thank you Iswara-san but I am untutored in many of these events and rely on luck and common sense. My place in these tests lies mainly in the laps of the Kami"

He turns to listen to Shun.

"Perhaps Shinjo-san, but since none are here maybe Iswara-san has heard of such incidents since they have apparently occurred near or in the lands of the Phoenix. "

Taka turns to her, "Well Iswara-san, have you anything to add? "

"More than just that, Kuni-san."

Akari said shaking her head

" They tend to attack with one of the magic users leading a bunch of their warriors, if you can Call Them that. Fortunately they are rather poor at metalworking from what I've heard.  Their steel is much more brittle compared to ours."

She shrugs. 

"Other than that it's just like Kitsu-san said.  Their Magic is foul.  And their horses unkempt."

Akari decides to keep quiet about the Jade Champion position's Might-As-Well discontinuation. 

The festivities of the city continued as the group meandered through the streets of Tsuma, making their way back to Doji Noriaki's home with the overheard conversation on your minds. Yedo and the other servants greeted you all and assisted in any way they could, offering food and preparing the bath and beds. Taka shaves his head, as usual, while Rin stays in the garden all night, preparing for the next events and even sleeping under the stars.

The next morning the town awakened early once more, despite another late night. Contestants rose, bathed, ate and prepared themselves for the day. Kuni Taka, Asako Kaito, Agasha Chouko and many others take time to visit the Temple of the Seven Fortunes, praying and making small offerings in hopes of some small advantage or bit of luck in the contests of the day.

Just after dawn the contestants were gathered and led through town and back across the bridge to the Kakita Dueling academy. There, inside the main dojo the spectators awaited. Only the most revered of luminaries (The Emperor, Imperial entourage, various Daimyo) were seated inside the dojo, around two rings that were side by side. The rest of the spectators crowded the opened doors. Those in front sitting while the rest stood behind them trying to get a good angel from which to watch the bouts. The crowd was large and the talk is incessant.

The Weapons contest was easily the second most prestigious event of the Topaz Championship. While this contest is worth no more tan any other is, you know ir commands the attention of far more examinations in heraldry. To win here, in the eyes of the assembled, is the mark of a fortunate destiny.

In the courtyard racks of every sort of practice weapons were set up along with sets of light armor on stands. Each contestant is taken inside a tent where they were aided in donning the light armor before they were lined up and brought inside the dojo.

Lord Miya Yoto, the Master of Ceremonies sat between the dual rings and reached into his vessel once more, drawing tiles and announcing the match ups that would take place two at a time. After each match was set, the contests were allowed to select their weapon while the others were able to sit and watch, maybe gaining some insight into their possible opponents in the Iaijutsu tournament the next day.

Topaz Championship - Day 2: Weapons

Asako Kaito / Isawa Akiri

Hiju / Agasha Chouko

Bayushi Daisuke / Kakita Zoyu

Hantei Satorii / Mirumoto Rin

Hiruma Sota / Kitsu Kageko

Mamushi Mitsuko / Kakita Ujimitsu

Hitoe / Usagi Massanori

Akodo Yokasu / Kuni Taka

Otaku Etsuko / Shiba Izumi

Mamushi Kichiro / Shinjo Shun

Doji Chinatsu / Shosuro Toshi

Event Mechanics: Weapons
For the weapons contest all are permitted fine quality light armor (looks pretty) provided by the Crane.

Each contestant may select a single weapon (peasant weapons are even provided for the Mantis).

No ranged weapons are permitted.

The practice weapons all roll their normal damage dice, but only keep ONE die for damage.

Aside from the reduced damage, the combat functions like normal 1 on 1 combat.

The contest is to concession, incapacitation or judge stoppage.

The spectators watched the Weapons matches eagerly. Every pairing seemed like a well-balanced match. Surely the fortunes were setting each contestant on the path to their destiny. Every match was a highlight as none were disappointing.

Everybody got to witness Mirumoto Rin's speed and skill as she came at the Prince Satorii with a blazing onslaught of attacks before he managed his first and only strike and then conceeded with a smile on his face, thanking Rin for allowing him to see such skill. Surely Rin must be a prodigy with a blade. A true Mirumoto.

The match between Bayushi Daisuke and Kakita Zoyu was easily the longest of the day. The adversaries well-matched. Daisuke struck first, but Zoyu was having none of it, returning the strike. Daisuke's speed was overcome by Zoyu several times, forcing him to evade her strikes in a defensive stance until finally the grace of the Kakita shone through and she landed another blow, forcing him to conceded with a respectful bow.

In the battle of the courtiers, Shosuro Toshi was triumphant over Doji Chinatsu, displaying skill with a wakizashi that won him the match definitively.

Shinjo Shun overcame the Mamushi Kichiro with Shun narrowly landing an early strike that set him up for victory.

Isawa Akiri fell to Asako Kaito in the only shugenja match. Their lack of training with a blade was expected and led to an unfortunately severe injury that ended the match.

Akodo Yokasu defeated Kuni Taka and his tetsubo, demonstrating the control and precision of the Akodo once again.

Kitsu Kakgeko put up a valliant fightagainst Hiruma Sota, demonstrating some skill with a katana before the Crab bushi defeated her, as expected.

Kakita Ujimitsu and Mamushi Mitsuko's match was lightning fast and only a few strikes, with Ujimitsu defeating her, though narrowing walking the line of sportsmanship with his strikes. 

Agasha Chouko defeated the Unaligned Hiju, showing that is not just the Mirumoto who can handle a blade.

The Mantis, Hitoe, and the Hare, Usagi Massanori has a quick and furious match ending with the Mantis victorious with a katana.

Otaku Etsuko and Shiba Izumi had a match that was eagerly awaited as well. Izumi narrowly defeated the battle-maiden, which the Unicorn samurai-ko took poorly.

The Weapons matches were truly an outstanding display of martial prowess...

After the matches concluded all contests have their injuries attended to before they are assembled and led into one of the many stunning gardens gracing the grounds of the Kakita Dueling Academy. In the garden paired writing tables have been set up for the poetry contests. Miya Yoto sits in front of them and reaches into his vessel once more, paring the contestants once again. Once the pairs are set, a topic is given by the judge and a tipping fountain is used by the judge to time them for two minutes, by which time their serene environment has hopefully inspired the contestants to have finished.

Topaz Championship - Day 2: Poetry

Hiju / Mirumoto Rin

Mamushi Mitsuko / Usagi Massanori

Otaku Etsuko / Hitoe

Asako Kaito / Kitsu Kageko

Bayushi Daisuke / Akodo Yokasu

Kakita Ujimitsu / Hantei Satorii

Hiruma Sota / Shinjo Shun

Shiba Izumi / Kakita Zoyu

Isawa Akiri / Kuni Taka

Doji Chinatsu / Mamushi Kichiro

Agasha Chouko / Shosuro Toshi

Note. Please Read.
Everybody has all of their wounds restored after the Weapon's matches so nobody is suffering from wound penalties.

Event Mechanics: Poetry
A topic is given by the judge and the contestants are given two minutes to write their haiku (5-7-5 syllable poem).

Poetry is a Contested Awareness + Poetry roll. Higher roll wins.

If you actually write a haiku (and not just a joke), I will give you a bonus to your roll if you face a NPC. This is not required though.

Once the poetry matches were completed the contestant were led back into the main dojo where all signs of the previous weapons matches had been removed. Instead there sat a two tables with Go boards and bowls of light and dark stones. Each table was flanked by mats for sitting and in the middle a small, raised dais where Lord Miya took a seat and once again drew tiles to decide the matched pairs.

Topaz Championship - Day 2: Go

Hiju / Kitsu Kageko

Kuni Taka / Mamushi Kichiro

Kakita Ujimitsu / Shiba Izumi

Mamushi Mitsuko / Doji Chinatsu

Otaku Etsuko / Kakita Zoyu

Hantei Satori / Shosuro Toshi

Akodo Yokasu / Asako Kaito

Hiruma Sota / Isawa Akiri

Hitoe / Mirumoto Rin

Bayushi Daisuke / Shinjo Shun

Usagi Massanori / Agasha Chouko

Event Mechanics: Go
Go is a game played on a grid board. Each players takes turns placing stones at intersections in an attempt to encircle and control territory.

Go is a Contested Intelligence (or Perception)+ Battle roll. Higher roll wins.

Standings as of the lunch break on Day 2. (click here)

Note. Please Read.
After the Go matches are done the roughly two hour lunch break begins. You can post and state what you do during this time (meditate, tea ceremony, shop, chat up NPCs, seek info or what have you)..

Shinjo Shun will join a Tea Ceremony if someone preforming one is willing to accept him as a participant. If someone allows him to join him/her he will be a gracious guest and thank that person. He will also try and enjoy the rest of the lunch and chat with the other contestants to gauge which events that remain they are looking forward to and which they are not.

After her loss at go she exited the contest floor and Noticed that the Prince had just finished his. She looked at him after all she was a woman and he a very handsome man, even if neither were considered adults. They made momentary eye contact and she began to bow but the Prince turned away and engaged his guards.

With a sigh Rin turned and made her way to the gallery to watch the remainder of the matches, at least he recognized my skill for one brief moment, she thought as she found a space that she could see if she stretched and craned her neck. The opponents were taking their places with a snort of mild annoyance she recognized Zoyu before the announcement of who was in this match. Suddenly she noticed a hush around and everyone dropped to their Knees and bowed, the Prince had chosen this match to watch and and chose this place to watch it from.

Rin bowed deeply with the rest as the prince passed, only he didn't pass. “Mirumoto-san you can see the match better up here, join me.†It did not seem to be a request but a command. “Yes my Lord Prince.†She rose and faced the guards who all had the same stony emotionless face, she felt their eyes and she was sure each wanted to do terrible things to her for her victory over the Prince.

They made their way to the front of the gallery everyone moving aside for the prince, she was not allowed by the Seppun to stand beside him and he did not speak again as the match commenced. Several times she leaned forward to look past the guard but he payed her no mind but the last time she did this she saw a smile on his face.

She leaned forward again and whispered to him. “My Lord Prince...†The guard moved to silence her but was stopped by a Gesture from him. “Continue Mirumoto-san.â€

“My Lord Prince, I do not apologize for our match, but I feel some guilt that you did not get to show your true skill.†She notices that he moves closer to her as she whispers His eyes still on the match. “My attacks were brutal and made to defeat my foe, I had to do everything I could to make up for the dishonor I brought to my clan yesterday.†She pauses and he looks at her, swallowing a flutter of nervousness she wonders why she is doing this.

“I may still fail the Gempuku, my Lord Prince, but I would be honored if you would allow me to practice with you so you could show me your true skill.â€

"You have brought no dishonor to your Clan. You came to the Championship, unsure of what would be awaiting you, and have competed to the best of your ability. It was unfortunate that your experience with horsemanship was not as in-depth as some others, but it is understandable considering your home. And even then you know your limits and acknowledge them. No, there is only honor in your deeds." the Prince says with a nod.

"You are but a word.. an arrow shot.. a sword strike from completing your gempukku. If you continue to do as you ave been, then I have no doubt of your success." he points out reassuringly.

"And possessing such prodigal skill with the blade, you may even still earn the title of 'Topaz Champion' yet." he adds with a faint smile.

"I was personally instructed by the greatest swordsman in the Empire, and even I fell before your blade. I can scarcely fathom the outcome had to been permitted to use a full daisho.You are a natural. The blood of Mirumoto flows through your veins, that is evident to all who witnessed our match, or my lesson, rather, this morning. You have a life to look forward to of duels and battle. Glory and destiny. And though I long for such, I do not see it in my future. the Empire is at peace and that is something I should be thankful for."

"After the level of skill that you demonstrated, I doubt there is anything I could possibly show one as gifted as you."

She looks at the Prince for the first time realizing how difficult his Duty must be. "Your words are generous my Lord Prince I thank you. and If you cannot, becasue of your Duty seek Glory and Destiny yourself, Then Others must seek such in your name." She watches closely how he reacts to her words seeing him slightly nod, Rin feels encouraged. "As for learning things from you my Lord Prince already you have taught me things, the True weight of Duty, that sometimes defeat is not dishonor,and that you are more than just what a simple Bushi has ever imagined."

Rin blushes a bit as she says these things her inner voice yelling for her to shut up, but she can't not now.

"Forgive me if I speak to much and distract you my lord Prince, but you say you do not believe i could learn from you in practice. I must disagree." She looks out at the match still going on then back boldly at the Prince, perhaps too boldly.

"We are warriors and we follow the way of the sword, as such we learn until our life ends. Every moment, every breath, every touch contains a lesson for us to learn from."

The Prince turned to look at the strange Dragon girl. She was bold and confident, yet shy and unsure of herself all at the same time. She had attacked him with such ferocity earlier this morning, and yet now was almost meek at times. He had read that the Dragon Clan was often an enigma or even a contradiction. and before him stood an embodiment of that.

"It would seem that we both have lessons to teach and learn." the Prince said with a nod.

"I am sure Toshomoko-sensei would have no issue with us making use of one of the small dojos. I am sure my father will see the wisdom is some additional practice before tomorrows Iaijutsu tournament." he adds.

"I await your pleasure, my lord Prince." Rin  knelled and bowed again to the prince more to hide her smile than anything, and her blush. The match had ended and the Prince left to attend his duties and prepare for this afternoons events.

Rin stood and felt very good as she went to find some tea.

Note
written by Nina and Noir

After the Go matches conclude and the lunch break begins, Toshimoko-sensei comes strolling up to Zoyu. He has his usual, casual swagger as he moves through the crowd that seems to part for him to pass. Though certainly 'old' by Rokugani standards, the man has aged very well and is still extremely fit, his roguish good looks not appearing to have faded at all with age.

After offering a casual, obligatory bow to Zoyu he looks her over with his stormy blue eyes for a split second before speaking.

"Zoyu-chan. Come walk with me?" he asked (or ordered?) with a smile.

Zoyu straightens under the gaze of the Master Sensei of the Kakita Dueling Academy, turning slightly to show off her womanly figure. Her mismatched eyes brighten in delight and her heart begins to beat faster in the presence of Kakita Toshimoko.

It was more than just his mature good looks and undiminished roguish charm that had caught her interest ever since she had been enrolled in the Dueling Academy. It was the man himself, his peerless elegance with a blade and his history, the romance and tragedy that belonged in only the finest of pillow books. What woman could no help but yearn to sail in the seas of his stormy eyes?

Only one other has a deeper hold on her, and with that one, Zoyu still doesn't understand why, though she couldn't deny it either. Echoes from our ancestors, perhaps?

"You honour me, Toshimoko-sensei," Zoyu replies smoothly as she bows low and returns his smile. She glides gracefully to his side, a step behind. "It would be my pleasure."

Toshimoko turns before Zoyu fully responds, as if he knows what the answer will be and begins meandering out of the Dojo and courtyard, through the gate and along the riverbank.

"Congratulations. You have been doing well.. on paper." he says as he crouches down and plucks a lone blade of grass from the earth.

"You have your six points already, but I know they have been more difficult to come by than you would like to admit." he says as he brings the blade of grass up to his lips to chew on it.

"Your unfamiliarity with grappling was... evident. And your match with the Bayushi boy, though entertaining, should not have taken that long." he adds.

"In the dojo, when nothing really mattered, you excelled. But now, with eyes and expectations upon you, you are finding it more... difficult. You are nervous. You know nothing of your foes, unlike the students you spent years with whom you were familiar and comfortable..." Toshimoko points out casually.

"The Scorpion boy, though fast and cunning, lacks your natural talent." he says matter-of-factly.

"You are better though. And somehow, I am certain you thought that. But, to take a page from the Mirumoto, you need to know it. Your friend, Rin, certainly did, and I trained the Lord Prince personally." he says with a smile as he glances at Zoyu.

"Relying on what you had learned here, you even overcame his early advantage and his speed. You were eventually victorious. In an iaijusu duel, though, you do not have to catch up. You have but a moment. A flap of a hummingbird's wing, and you are either victorious or one with your ancestors. You have a serenity about you. An even temperament that even I lack. It keeps you calm and controls your anger. It can control your nerves too, and much more." he says as she stops by a small bamboo thicket by the river.

"Practice your kata." he orders as he sits down and reaches into his kimono, pulling a scroll which he opens and begins to look over.

The criticism from a man she so deeply respects cut, a flush coming to her pale cheeks, the more so because, if she was being honest with herself, she couldn't deny Toshimoko-sensei's observations. Which did not mean it hurt less.

Most of whatever she put her attention to came easily to her, some like dancing and dueling, remarkably easily, so much so, she took it for granted. And she was well aware she was a beautiful woman, more than most who claimed such, and sought out such acclamations from others.

But now, with so many eyes on her during the Topaz Championship, her focus was fraying. If she wasn't in the lead, she was still doing well, true, but she had struggled for some of her wins more than she should have, as Toshimoko-sensei had said. She was worrying how others saw her, instead of only being concerned with how she saw herself, and it was affecting her nerves.

"As you say," Zoya replies in soft agreement and with another bow. "Some of my victories have been disappointments in how hard they were to earn or how they came about." Her eyes sparkle, lips curling in a small, coy smile. "Eyes upon me is a common occurrence, but never so many, nor of such eminence."

"Eyes, all or none, they matter not when balanced on the moment."

"Just so."

Zoyu closes her eyes, stilling her breath, letting it come slow and smooth as she flowed into the first stance of her kata. At first, she's too aware of being alone in Toshimoko-sensei's presence, the rustle of wind through the bamboo, the babbling of the river, distracted by it. But she lets it all fade away and lets the Moment come, listens for it, feels it.

Her blade - made specifically for her hand by her father - slides from her saya with silken suddenness as she dances gracefully through the first of her kata. As she returns her blade to its sheath, sheaves of bamboo fall to either side of her and land softly on the moist earth of the river bank.

Smiling, her eyes still closed, Zoyu breaths in the moment, waits for it to come again, then flows into her second kata. Worries of what have come before, of what will come later, no longer matter, not while she lives and dances on the Moment's Edge.

After performing her kata for who knows how long, Toshimoko's voice rings out once more..

"What you are doing now, you need to do that with your eyes open." he says as he rolls up the scroll and tucks it back into his kimono before rising.

"Open your eyes. Relax. Let the world fall away until there is just you. Keep that serenity and be still. Do not think about your hand brushing your sword.. how you will grip it.. draw it.. and strike with it. Relax and do not consider your stance.. your breathing.. Do not concern yourself with the wind... or the drop of sweat creeping down your back.. the itch on your foot. Relax. Trust in your training.. Your ability.. Yourself... Do so, and you will show nothing. You will be a picture of stillness to your opponent, living only in the moment. You will be an enigma to your opponent. At one with the universe.. everything and nothing at the same time." he instructs, standing right behind Zoyu and almost whispering into her ear, his voice soft and almost hypnotic.

Zoyu opens her eyes, striving for the stillness of an immaculate pond, letting Toshimoko-sensei's flowing words wash over her like a gentle breeze... but it is hard. She can feel the heat of his body behind her through the lightness of her kimono, his breath stirring a few strands of her hair and tickling the curve of her ear...

"You are not making this easy, Toshimoko-sensei," Zoyu murmurs, not quite keeping a hint of a pout out of her voice.

"As Shinsei might say, 'Void is all and nothing.' It is the hardest thing and the easiest thing in the world." Zoyu can hear the smile in Toshimoko-sensei's words.

So close... Another thing not to dwell on... Is this a part of Toshimoko-sensei's intent? Wishing to prove herself worthy of his regard, she arches her back and rolls her shoulders, stretching out the tension from her body and resettling herself. Stillness...

Zoyu stands straight, poised but relaxed, like the moment before she begins gliding through the steps of a dance. Her full lips curve in a faint, enticing grin, giving away nothing but her joy of dancing. She doesn't think of each and every step she is going to take in the moments before she begins to dance, she waits until she can feel the steps she will take, must take, feels them, knows them. Knows them as much as she knows herself. And then she dances, at one with the Moment.

As in a dance, so a duel, an entire life expressed, compressed to an instant. It is something Zoyu has considered many times before, dancing and dueling being alike, different sides to the same coin. But after an unknown length of time, standing still and relaxed, she can feel the realization, knows it for truth, her own truth perhaps, but a truth nonetheless.

Reveal nothing to your audience - your opponent - then when the Moment is right, let yourself be known with eloquent clarity.

"Ah." Something in the quality of Zoyu's stillness reveals to Toshimoko that she is approaching an epiphany. If she has not reached it yet, she has at least found the path to it. "You do not disappoint, Zoyu-chan."

Zoyu lets out a breath she was not aware she was holding and turns around and bows to Toshimoko, her smile still on her face. "You are kind to say so. I strive to be more than a student, though of course, only in my grave will I have nothing more to learn."

When she straightens up again, her smile grows a trifle wider. "There is another quote from Shinsei I am fond of, 'Appreciation of Beauty is the beginning of Wisdom'." Zoyu has been accused of many things, but being shy or modest is not one of them, her pale cheeks blushing faintly, attractively, as she adds boldly, "I believe I have some inkling of wisdom. If you will forgive me asking, do you consider yourself wise, Toshimoko-sensei?"

Toshimoko smiles and lets out a small, joyful laugh.

"Wise is not a word generally used to describe me. I know my sake, am an eternal student of the blade, study the Tao, contemplate bushido and meditate often. I have come to understand a few things, perhaps, but I would not call myself wise." he says with a smile and a shake of his head, causing his unkempt braid to dance along his back.

"I have some knowledge and maybe some small degree of insight into a few things, but all too often people mistake knowledge or intelligence for wisdom. I have met many Shiba who were very intelligence, but they lacked wisdom. Wisdom rests in the simple things that are so easily overlooked. Children are often more wise than is realized. I have learned more from my students over the years than I have been able to teach them, I would think." Toshimoko says thoughtfully as he thinks back.

"No. If I were wise, my life would have taken a different path. But maybe I was not meant to find that kind of wisdom in this life. Who knows what I may achieve in future lifetimes. It is pointless to dwell on such things though, I have realized. Leave each day as if it were your last, and you will have no regrets. Be in the moment and appreciate the beautiful day, the taste of nice tea or sake, the friendship of a true friend, the smell of a woman, the satisfaction of passing on some small kernel of knowledge or wisdom." he shares with a smile on his face.

"I have been in countless duels. Duels of honor, and duels with those just trying to make a name for themselves, even trying to make my own name when I was younger. I was hot-headed and brash in my youth, but life has a way of tempering people like a swordsmith tempers steel. I have taken lives, limbs, and eyes in these duels, and I never know which will be my last. One day though, I will be bested, and I cannot fathom my last thought being 'wishing' I had done this, or said that. When that day comes, I will have no regrets. I have lived a longer life I should have, perhaps as a punishment, I do not know. But I know I appreciate every sunrise I witness and what each day brings." Toshimoko says with the smile remaining on his lips.

"I have seen the Topaz Championship many times, and it is years like this that let me know the Empire will be well cared for in the hands on young samurai like yourselves. So I do not worry about the future. I do my best to live in the moment. If that is wisdom, then so be it. I just consider it life." he says with a shrug and a pat on Zoyu's shoulder.

"And if you remember what I and past generations of Kakita-sensei have tried to pass onto you here, then I think you shall have a long life as well. Maybe even long enough for the Empire to realize just how lucky it is to have you." Toshimoko says half-teasingly with a small laugh that almost seems to make him look younger.

"We need to get back to town though, you will need to eat and get your energy up for the rest of the events of the day."

Though feeling like she has just feasted on Toshimoko-sensei's words and regards, Zoyu knows he is right if she wants to make a good accounting of herself in the afternoon's events. She nods and smiles back before falling in step with him as they head back to the Dojo. "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today," she paraphrases him, adding her own thoughts. "I believe you are wiser than you claim, Toshimoko-sensei."

Note
Written by me and Noir over the last few days

Taka tries to relax after his disappointing morning events. First with a little food and another excellent tea ceremony conducted by Kitsu Kageko, during which he tries again to pay careful attention to how the ceremony is carried out, it is a skill he has always considered learning but has found little time to do so to date. After the ceremony and giving her the thanks due to her for helping him to recentre himself for the afternoon Taka sought out a peaceful garden of the temple in which to meditate. After an hour of relaxing meditation he felt better able to face the afternoon's events if no better centred than after the tea ceremony. Finally he grabbed a little more food on the way back to the competition after a brief prayer for luck for himself and his fellow invitees in the temple.

She circled her opponent warily, showing no emotion, her stance that of the uncaring wind. Her eye saw all that her target revealed. While she revealed nothing.

Suddenly she moved!

The first stroke strong and sure, if it failed the battle would be lost. Her hand moved, stroke, slash,stroke. Again and again her eye never leaving her target.

Then she was still.

There her opponent lay, revealed.

She was victorious. She smiled.

Rin approached Zoyu before the next set of matches were to begin. The beautiful Crane stood guarded at Rins sudden appearance.

“Kakita-san, a moment of your time?†Rin bowed deeply to the fellow Bushi.

"Of course, Mirumoto-san," Zoyu replies with a smile and a nod, almost glowing with an excited serenity.

“I have been unjustly rude in my behavior towards you since yesterday and would like to offer you this small token as a measure of apology and ask your forgiveness.†Rine hands the Crane a folded sheet of rice paper. “May it bring you some small pleasure.†She bows again.

THE PAPER
The folded paper is a drawing done in charcoal a design for a back tattoo.

Here is a real tattoo design I am stealing for rins creation please ignore the watermarks :) below the picture are the tattooing rolls for drawing the design Noir and Asa witnessed.

2vb3r87.jpg

[Nina] 8:34 am: need to make a roll for rin 5k4

Nina *rolls* 5d10: 10+3+2+1+10: 26

Nina *rolls* 2d10: 5+1: 6

[Noir] 8:35 am: Him?

[Nina] 8:35 am: 31

[Asarasa] 8:35 am: 31

[Nina] 8:35 am: secret roll for a post i am writing

[Nina] 8:36 am: dont worry she isnt killing any one

[Noir] 8:36 am: For L5R?

[Nina] 8:36 am: yup

[Noir] 8:37 am: Neat

Zoyu receives the the piece of paper, raising her brows in surprise, though pleased that Rin's surliness seemed to be abating. Unfolding the sheet of rice paper, her brows rise further. The picture is intricate and well done. Though not the equal of the Master Kakita Artisans, of course, it shows a great deal of promise from what Zoyu can tell - her artistry takes other forms. She has never thought about getting a tattoo, though looking at Rin's elegant depiction, Zoyu begins to consider the possibilities.

"It gives me pleasure to see the artistry in your hands, Mirumoto-san," Zoyu replies politely, handing the paper back. "But apologies are unnecessary and therefore forgiveness unneeded."

"There is an Imbalance between us." She gently touches Zoyu's wrist slightly pushing the returned gift back. "This is not a gift, but a token of our growing friendship."

Zoyu's fingers lightly graze Rin's palm as she sets the paper in her hand. "I perceive no imbalance between us, merely the weight of expectation to perform well in our trials. The true token of our friendship is the woman herself."

Rin looks deeply into Zoyu's eyes, pluming their depths. "Truly you are remarkable Kakita-san, your friendship evident, and your beauty
unmatched." She takes her hand in her left with a slight caress and places the picture into her upturned palm, pressing her hand, "Except my humble art and some day if you wish, it may enhance your beauty, and give pleasure to any fortunate enough to see it live."

Zoyu bows her head low, tucking the picture up the sleeve of her flowing kimono. When she straightens, her mismatched eyes sparkle, her one-sided grin wider. "Your words are too kind, but I can do nothing to deny their truth," Zoyu replies smoothly with. "I humbly accept this token of our growing friendship, and should your artistry ever grace the pristine scroll of my flesh, I shall ensure yours are among the first eyes to witness it."

Just then, a sonorous bell rings out over the Kakita Dueling Academy Dojo, summoning the competitors for the first event of the afternoon. Zoyu's eyes flick in the direction of the dojo set aside for the Debates, and tilts her head as she gracefully gestures Rin to accompany her. "But I suppose we will speak of this at a later time. For now,  it's time we continue on the path towards the Topaz Championship."

As the lunch break ended the bell rang, summoning all contestants back across the river to the Kakita Dueling Academy dojo. Across Tsuma contestants finished meals, rose from meditation, and completed prayers. Over the next several minutes the contestants assembled and were led into the dojo by the aged Lord Miya Yoto. On a small, raised dais sat the judges for the Courtier contest, along with Lord Miya's vessel. He sat beside the vessel and began drawing tiles, setting the matched pairs, and for possibly the first time in the competition, the majority of the contestants were dreading being paired with a courtier...

Topaz Championship - Day 2: Courtier (Debate)

Mamushi Mitsuko / Kuni Taka

Hiju / Kitsu Kageko

Hantei Satorii / Isawa Akiri

Akodo Yokasu / Kakita Ujimitsu

Hiruma Sota / Mirumoto Rin

Shiba Izumi / Shinjo Shun

Agasha Chouko / Usagi Massanori

Mamushi Kichiro / Shosuro Toshi

Asako Kaito / Hitoe

Otaku Etsuko / Kakita Zoyu

Bayushi Daisuke / Doji Chinatsu

Event Mechanics: Courtier (Debate)
The judges bring two students before them and give them a subject to debate. There are few rules in this contest, and no time limit; the judges stop the debate when they believe one contestant has clearly demonstrated his superiority at the courtly arts.

The debate is a Contested Awarness + Courtier roll. Higher roll wins.

Raises can be taken to truly trounce your opponent, but your roll must exceed your opponent's roll by +5 per Raise you take. Failing to exceed your opponent's roll by the raised amount means total failure.

• Matt changed the title to IC: L5R: Blood and Jade - The Topaz Championship
  • Matt pinned this topic

Archived