Psions Unite! : Chapter 1 - Activate

Rorx

Millie looked like she was about to have a heart attack.

"Oh man, this is a awesome Gunpla!  Definetly looks like Crossbone with a bunch of new kinds of weapons.  you design them yourself?    Wait how did you stop your phone from falling?"

She notices a couple cokes on a counter and reaches out her hand.  But nothing happens

"Huh.  I guess it's not something I can do..."

With a flash one of them vanishes and appears in her hand

"Whoa!   Did I just make this thing blink from one place to another?"

Relay object
Abyss Phantasia *rolls* 6d10: 4+2+7+6+4+3: 26

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tempest was staring at her hands, wondering what else she might be able to shift or if she was stuck being a knock-off Wolverine - and what other powers she might have - when she noted hers arms weren't quick as skinny as they used to be. Feeling her legs proved they had added a bit of meat too. She was still very slender, but no longer stick thin. Must be because of the health improvements the Paramedic was talking about, Tempest guessed. Too bad it didn't cure me of being short and boobless...

Thinking of the health improvements made Tempest think of what else the Paramedic had mentioned, that 10% - 10%! - of people never got out of the cocoons. They were just... gone. Dead. Fear and assurance twisted up inside her in confusing mix as she pulled out her smartphone, the blinking blue light telling her she had at least one text, voice-mail, or email. Turning on her phone, she found out it was way more than one.

While her mother spoke with the Paramedic, Tempest called and texted the Diego Irregulars. Thankfully, they had all escaped the pods intact, Miles wasn't even overweight and diabetic anymore and Sloane didn't need her glasses, though her breasts were as oversized as ever to her disgust. Unfortunately, Dmitri had lost his mother to the pod.

Speaking about others they knew, Tempest found out their statuses, feeling a pang of guilt when she learned three of the Pink Slips hadn't been so lucky. The last thing Tempest had said to Lexus was that she had hoped she died, and now... she had. It wasn't her fault, but it still hurt and made her feel almost ill.

Her friends were more interested in learning about her powers, and Tempest retorted she was as well and she'd get back to them when she did. Sticking her phone back in her pocket, Tempest looked around, noticing some of the abilities they apparently had, like telekinesis and making sparks or something, and she was pretty sure a Coke had just disappeared, which got her back to thinking what else she might be able to do.

Tempest turned her head around to ask the paramedic something when suddenly her point of view jumped to the other side of the lounge, looking out the windows overlooking the runway. Not only was she 'seeing' from there, but she could hear as if she was over there. She willed her point of view to change and it panned around, until she was looking at herself sitting next to her mother, who was still talking with the paramedic.

"Whoa!" Tempest exclaimed, hearing her own voice as if she ten meters away. "This is wild!"

And just as suddenly, her senses snapped back into her body, Tempest eeping in shock at the incredibly odd sensation. Zoe and the paramedic were looking at her and Tempest sheepishly shrugged her shoulders. "Uh, I think I'm clairvoyant and clair... audient? I was seeing and hearing as if I was at the other end of the room." Tempest screwed up her face in thought, nose scrunched up cutely. "I think I could have gone further too, pass the wall, even."

The paramedic nodded. "Clairsentience, Remote Viewing, ESP, that sort of thing has been documented. So has Psychometry, do you know what that is?"

Zoe nodded no while Tempest nodded yes. "I play role-playing games, I've heard about it. That is picking up visions or impressions just by handling something, right, like who touched it last, what they were feeling, stuff like that?"

"Very good, Miss."

Tempest shrugged away the compliment, though she felt inordinately pleased. "I got a couple more questions. You said I was a shifter. Can shifters do more than make claws, like turn all the way into a wolf or falcon, say? And those lights, those symphonic stars I saw... there were sooo many of them, and one that was all alone... " Tempest did her best to explain what she saw/heard when she was in the cocoon, hoping she was conveying what she had experienced clearly. "Those star-songs, what are they?"

"Yes, Miss Baines. All existing injuries or conditions seem to have been cured during our stay in the pods. People have woken from long term comas, glasses seem to be unnecessary anymore and on the News about half an hour ago they had a restored Prof Stephen Hawking dancing with his wife live on TV."

He had barely turned back to the two Taylor's to see Temp on the phone, when Rebecca was exclaiming about her new found telekinesis followed swiftly by a bright double flash/BANG as Millie teleported a coke from the counter to her hand. The flash/bang at each point being practically simultaneous.

"Welcome to the small band of Teleporters Miss Daniels," the paramedic said to her with a smile, "for some unknown reason there seem to be less of us than other abilities. If you give that a few more tries and it works ok we could try to see what else you can do in the way of teleportation, well at least up to the few things I can do."

He watches Millie try a couple more times to move the coke cans back and forth, with Rebecca joining in with her telekinesis when Temp's exclamation draws his attention.

"What else can shifters do? Well I'm afraid I haven't heard of any full form and size shifts to an animal form as you suggested, but people have been able to elongate their limbs, form some kind of leathery or chitin-like body armour, obscure their features, breathe underwater, and generally change their appearance that I've heard of so far. Having said that these are still the early hours of our discoveries about our abilities I'm sure we will find more things that people can do or will learn to do in the future."

"As to the lights and what you called symphonic stars, that was probably the one ability we all seem to share, although with differing ranges. Those lights are other psychics, if you can narrow down your focus you should see that one corresponds to each of us here and in the two unopened cocoons over there. Now I have no idea what your range might be, but if you can sense one going by overhead and most flights are grounded until at least noon I would guess that someone up in space went psychic as well. My guess would be on the ISS since we know that got breached by a meteorite. That would mean your range is at least several hundred miles, I'd have to check where there orbit is to be more precise. Can you pick up anything further away from that and do you have any idea how far away in relation to that?"

As Rebecca collected her smart phone again, listening to "The Medic" for lack of a name she caught, she returned back to what she was doing. Of course seeing Millie teleport a can of coke from the table was... a shock. "Well, you'll never have to reach for the remote again."

She grinned shaking her head. "And no, I've not had time at all for taking up the hobby of working with those models. Being in the military ate up my free time."

She walked over and took a coke and stretched, noticing what she was doing was out of habit now. Sitting down, she leaned back and looked up at the ceiling "Not that my fixed up back will allow me back into the military now. Damn regs and politics. There would have to be a miracle now to resurrect my career."

She looked over to Millie. "I'm thinking of taking the Underground to see Trafalgar Square, do a little shopping and heading to my rental... my house is still under construction, just bought the whole lot finally just after my discharge, so I got a temporary little residence. Not too shabby. Even has a heated pool."

She sighed. "Although I'll be seeing my Brother off from here. He's going to head to a train station and head back to my childhood home in Cardiff for a bit to put my parent's affairs in order before heading to live with me at the new house."

"It'll have a beautiful view of the Thames, although setting up the dock was a challenge, finding the right spot where the mudflats were thin." She said, typing into her smartphone...

James, if you can get this, check in on your R&D people.
See if anyone has got any meteorite fragments, and if there is
a way to make them safe for research.

She looked over to Millie. "Hey... you know... I know of a nice little out of the way restaurant on the way to my temporary flat... interested? Yeah I know, hardly know ya from eve yet think about it... we not only survived something crazy... but we got well... these weird new abilities and stuff... that, and... I think a meal alone isn't something I want right now. I'll cover it."

She pulled up the current weather. "I'll have to grab a rain poncho from the gift shop... and maybe a pair of those snazzy data glasses those guys on the plane had... those bodyguard types..."

Also, look into retaining a lawyer, I'm not signing anything
until I have a lawyer go over it with a fine tooth comb
regarding this bollocks while I'm stuck in this waiting area.

She scratched her chin. "I think in a couple of days I'll have to let my brother know if I'm interested in working for our parent's Aeronautics firm..." She said massaging her head. "I just feel like I need a few days to think... I mean, wouldn't you?"

I'm taking the long way home.
But if we do meet up at the baggage claim like this Medic claims
I'll see you off, okay?

She quirked an eyebrow to Sakura... "You know... she's been incredibly quiet..."

"Penny for your thoughts, hmm?"

Zoe was on some kind of mental autopilot. The last thing she remembered was getting the itches. The only thing that bucked her out of it was Tempest. She would take care of her daughter even through hell. Though this was the very epitome of hell. She saw Tempest crying for help against something she could not help with. The shifting was weird, she couldn't even hold her daughter to comfort her, all she could do was watch.

Then she had her own 'problems'. Zoe didn't shift around, but she could read minds and talk to others. Something she couldn't really keep to herself. The other stuff was kind of private. She told people to do stuff and lesser minds did what she said. She knew this was her controlling their will and not her just being assertive. The other gift was hard to explain. It was giving someone a boost in their feelings? If they were scared, then they were super-scared, if they were happy then even more happy and so on. She didn't know how to quantify that.

Finally she snapped out of her mental autopilot and looked around to survey the damage. The only one she really cared about was Tempest. But she was worried about were her boss was. And that cute guard.

Desmond shrugged when his question about people's devices got no response and went back to seeing what news there was on the internet. His attention was diverted to the notification of an email from Winston. Perhaps they had news since they had come around some 5 hours before Desmond?

Emails
There are two emails from Winslow:

1. Sent to Desmond about 21:15 EST but missed in preparations for Conference.
Desmond, we've received an offer of a contract from OBI, they want to put the whole staff and facilities on a retainer to work on an urgent project they have coming up in the next 24-48 hours. No other details but they are willing to pay double or normal rates and cover any penalty clauses for dropping or being late on other peoples projects. I've spoken to legal and we could do it, their clauses for excepting liability and costs are ironproof. The pain is that there is a time limit on the offer I need to give them a reply in the next ten minutes or so. If I don't hear from you I'm going to go ahead with it.
Winslow

2. Sent soon after you expect they emerged from cocoons.

Desmond, I hope you get this and made it through the cocoon ok. Larry in accounts lost his wife. When he emerged he found her cocoon empty and three quarters gone. They seem to mostly sublimate away beginning soon after the occupant emerges. We have managed to keep substantial samples of the cocoons of people who got caught by it here at the lab. An argon atmosphere stops the sublimation process. Found that our from OBI who have put us all working on the nature and origin of the cocoons. They say they are going to be sending over a sample of a meteorite as well that landed elsewhere in Washington. We have been unable to get hold of any samples independently and the ones we have heard of seem to have a similar sublimation process going on or completed. Let me know when you get this.
Winslow

At the mention of what else shifters could do, a thrill of excitement shivered through Tempest, a vague idea taking shape as she closed her eyes and focused on the stars in her mind. Tempest started small, with her own star, her own song, then expanded slowly, picking up the star-songs of those around her in the room, one at a time, then further and further out, faster and faster.

The density of star-songs was roughly consistent as she expanded her awareness, the grand symphony she could hear or feel shifting smoothly as each individual star-song she could sense joined it, then began to grow diffuse once more, until she picked up another 'sun.' Focusing on the 'sun', she understood it too was made up individual star-songs in proximity to each other, with its own symphony.

The young girl-woman cast her awareness out even further, discerning more suns, more songs, the cosmic symphony flowing and shifting into greater whole with each individual song added. Studying the image in her mind, a small smile on her lips as she listened to the emphatic music, she realized the suns, the spaces between them speckled with the occasional stars of individuals curved around an invisible ball... With a solitary star-song circling the entire thing at some distance. It was hard to determine actual distance without a frame of reference for what she was seeing, though.

"Oh! Oh, man!" Tempest exclaimed, eyes popping open and jaw dropping as she realized what she was sensing. "I... I think, I'm able to pick people across the entire planet and I can see that one star circling the entire thing, who I guess is in orbit." Tempest swallowed, licking her suddenly dry lips and closing her mouth as she looked over at the paramedic as she tried to explain the image in her mind. "And I'm not sure, but I think I could sense star-songs much further than that if there were any."

Zoe looked at her daughter, a slightly puzzled expression on her face. While she could sense the lights around her, she couldn't sense anything remotely like the scale Tempest was conveying.

Tempest's brows crinkled cutely as another thought suddenly came to her as she focused on the paramedic. "Um, sorry Sir, if this is rude, but what's your name? I guess you got our names from the manifest, but your uniform doesn't have a name-badge."

One of Sakura's eyes opened partway and she glanced at the Brit. Under her gaze, still half in her meditative state, Rebecca's form melted away into an intricate interplay of cellular chemistry and biophysics. It took her a moment to adjust her new "vision" enough to actually focus on the woman and not just her biology. Whatever had happened to her, whatever changes had been wrought on her, they seemed to be focused around her ability to perceive the biological template of the living things around her. She felt the potential for more than just perception, but really, how does one experiment with that? Without being immoral or a total jerk to someone? Here, lemme see what this does!

She could feel someone off to the side of her sliding around in a strange way. Not moving much, but the isness of her, the way she was, kept shifting. Something about her hands...

"Hmmm?" she asked mildly, then blinked slowly while pulling her mind entirely back to moment and the room. "Did you need something?"

Rebecca suddenly blushed. "Umm... well you've been quiet throughout all this. I mean... we've been through some big changes obviously, but you've been the most quiet compared to the rest here. Find anything interesting?"

She scratched her head looking over to the medic. "Also the woman over there has a point... what is your name, Medic? I don't see any nametag on your gear. something missing that should be there..." She said, sitting back in her seat, examining the situation, entering something as a text to James...

James... quick update.
About to extract a name out of the medic here. No nametag.
Seems suspicious. Nothing is really adding up outside of the weirdness which I'm not counting.
I'll explain once we meet up. BTW... Back's better.

"The whole planet and beyond local orbit? That's incredible! I don't think I've heard of anything similar to that so far. Uh? My name?"

He glances down to his chest where there is a small rip in the material that has flopped down as a result showing a dark t-shirt or top beneath the green paramedic jumpsuit.

"Damn with the rush to get on duty with this stuff going on I didn't realise I grabbed this ripped one. It's Gwyn Jones."

With practised ease he swiftly removes a roll of clear surgical tape from a thigh pocket and tapes the material back into place showing a worn name tape stating Gwyn Jones.

"Sorry Miss, hadn't realised."

"Sure you didn't get that off of someone, Mr. Jones? Who is your superior?"

Rebecca's military protocol was showing a bit. She turns it down. "Just for... future reference. I'm sure there is going to be some followups and I think we will need to exchange information. Besides I am sure there will be many questions yet to answer once we're gone."

She tapped her smart phone in her hand, reading the Medic's coming response.

"No Miss Baines, just a failure to mend the tear before it went into the wash after a shift last weekend and with the recent events I didn't realise when I grabbed it from the cupboard."

Reaching into a thigh pouch he pulls out a laminated Photo ID badge and flash/bangs on to the coffee table in front of Rebecca. Before she is distracted by that Rebecca spots some kind of Helo 'wings' on his right collar.

The Photo ID does indeed show a photo of the man in a similar jumpsuit, with slightly less disheveled hair. Both the laminated holder and the card within have the same minor bends and it is obvious that neither are new. Quickly tapping the information on the card (Gwyn David Jones, Royal Berkshire NHS Trust) into her phone she sends another text to James with an urgent request to check it out.

Putting the same info into a Google box brings up a few interesting tid bits as well as confirming that Google at least puts the name and face together. News articles, mainly local, appear over the last year or so mentioning him learning to fly the local air ambulance, despite his previous Army role in the Infantry, a number of mentions of the name buried among a list of people who ran various half marathons or marathons, and finally an MBE for charity work - ran every half marathon within 100 miles of his home in Reading for 6 months sponsored for charity each time, several of them on the same day.

"Does that help at all Miss Baines?" He says as she flicks through the articles.

Amanda Sits on the lounge sofa her knees drawn up to her chest arms holding them tight. She watches, listens and pretends to be in shock. But she isn't not really. She needs to get out of this place away from them. None of them realize how dangerous this is How much danger each of them are in.

She tries to catch the girl she met on the planes attention and sees her hands become claws. Its horrifying and exciting all at the same time.

She looks up at the medic

"I have to pee."

Gwyn turns to Amanda to answer her.

"One of the reasons to take over the First Class Lounge for this, it has its own toilets. They are just around the corner to the left there."

He points to a glass screened area just beyond the seating area opposite the dining area, then turns back to Rebecca.

"Oh, I have a business card for each of you. You can have yours now if you want?"

Putting his hand back into the thigh pocket he got the ID from there is another flash/bang as a business card appears on the table next to the ID. It has his name, an email address and a mobile number on it.

Rebecca quietly takes the card, silently taking a picture of the information for later access before slipping it into her wallet in her other pocket next to her passport. Rebecca realized that her SERE Training almost kicked in...

She looked down back at Sakura waiting for her response... everything just still seemed a blur, and this wasn't helping her slip into a civilian role again.

"No wonder they separated us... particularly if some of us are able to sprout claws and what-not. Better to have this stuff happen while were separated as we get sorted..." She thought. "So... half hour to a hour... gonna hold these bloody nurses to it... I'm startin' to get hungry..."

Looking back around the room to check on her fellow psychics, Rebecca spots some food on the counter next to the cans of soft drink that Millie had been using to practise moving. Getting up to investigate she finds the full normal First Class cold buffet laid out for them and can see the glowing ready light on several coffee machines.

"Another reason I chose the First Class lounge for us, food and drinks laid on."

Zoe's worry about her boss activated part of her new abilities and she soon realised that he was still nearby.

"Viktor, you're alright!"

"Zoe? Zoe, where are you? How are you doing this? Are you and Temp ok, they tell me that some people don't survive these damn pods. Hang on, I've got a call from Cookie. ... Yes, I'm still on the plane with most of the others but Miss Taylor and her daughter's pods were removed before the rest of us came around.....What do you mean that's standard in some cases! Look just get over here Cookie and you can brief me on the way to finding them.

"Zoe, look just stay where you are, Cookie and I will come find you."

A smile crossed her lips as Zoe heard Viktor's voice. The brain speaking was a bit weird though. She knew she wasn't talking to herself, imagining Viktor's voice. It was a different. There were a lot weirder things going on at the moment. Head talk was the least of her problem. She was connected to a few people instinctively. Tempest. Viktor. And... a guy named Joshua? After a quick read of him, she found it was the cute guard from the flight. Funny. Not that she was talking to him (at least not yet). She did as she was told and stayed put, giving Viktor her exact location on her glasses. She was still lightly holding on to Tempest. If not for her daughter's comfort, for her own.

Amanda got up and made her way into the bathroom where she quickly texted  Cher [see if you can get off the plane and find some place to hide, then text me]

Then looking to making sure  Dr. Do-right was occupied she quickly made her way down the cross corridor to the exit from the lounge. Pushing her way through the she sees several people going about here business as she looks for something to indicate where she is.

Then sudden before she can take another step there is a loud pop and the idiot medic is in front of her looking none too happy.

"Goddamnit!" Amanda curses and balls her fists the anger and panic coming all at once...

"Well Miss Kantner," said Gwyn in angry, disdainful tones common to drill sergeants throughout time, "I had been led to believe that you were of at least average intelligence. It seems I was misinformed, so I will give you one last chance."

Two police officers in bullet proof jackets with submachine guns across their chests step from the main concourse into the corridor to the First Class Lounge behind the paramedic. Seemingly oblivious or unconcerned by their presence Gwyn continues.

"You can either turn around and wait patiently for the next ten minutes or so while I carry out my job of checking that you are NO LONGER A THREAT TO OTHER PEOPLES LIVES," he slips into a brief drill sergeant shout.

"Or I can turn you over to these officers to be held for Wilful Endangerment in a nice cell somewhere until a police doctor can be bothered to check on you long enough to clear you."

He pauses while giving Amanda a brief evaluating look, "And before you decide that it would be easier to go with the constables and try to get free from them I should inform you that PC Jenkins," the female officer on the left of the corridor nods to Amanda, "Is also a telepath that I have been in contact with since before any of you emerged from your cocoons and is well aware of whatever it was you tried whether consciously or not to do to me before back in the lounge."

"So Miss I'm too rich and self-important to follow the rules, which is it going to be?"

Several things ripple through her mind as various subconscious ques attempt to trigger her new powers but she shuts them all down. Instead shifts her phone thumb clicking and takes two pictures, one of medic man and one of the armed guards, then her thumbs hit share all and she drops the hand with the phone and with the other her flips Dr. Gung-Ho the bird and returns to the Lounge.

actions
if they try to stop her from taking and sending the pic she will try to block them with warp shield.

she is sending the pics to her full contact list which includes her face book... in other words daddy will get the pics eventually. and tehn god rest their poor souls :)

Rebecca turned to the returning Amanda. "Lovely, trying to get our minders to pull our Bathroom privileges?" She said as she stood near where the sandwiches and coffee were. She had went over there when Amanda had her little outburst. "They know how long this adjustment process is and they don't know if anyone here can like... make people's minds melt or some crap."

"They also know how long it'll take. So calm down before these guys go Martial Law on us... calm... down. The last thing you need to be right now is freaking out. With how unstable we are who knows what'll happen. We're still cooking..."

Secretly the sudden up of security was getting Rebecca nervous again. She had to rationalize over and over in her head that what was happening was to ensure their safety as much as the safety of others right now. It wasn't helping that Amanda might push things to a more heavy response.

"If I see my picture posted anywhere online, I will bring you up on Cyberbullying charges. And yes, that is a thing. And yes, I can afford the lawyer. And if you so much as step within 5 feet of me I will show you I am not rusty yet on my CQC training. That's not a threat, child, that's a promise."

She glared, looking over Amanda. "Or I'll just shout for security, and while you're in a cage they'll confiscate your phone and delete said unauthorized pictures."

"Your call. You want to go off the handle and escalate this further I will stop you for everyone else's good. Now stand down."

Gwyn re-enters the Lounge tapping on his tablet. He briefly glances at Rebecca and Amanda, but doesn't say anything aloud. Still looking at his tablet he walks around the disappearing remains of the open cocoons to stand next to the two closed ones for a moment before turning and walking back to the sofa area still tapping on his screen.

When he's finished he looks up at Amanda as though to say something, but seems to change his mind and his face hardens again before he says, "Your minder has been given directions here Ms Kantner, unless any other spontaneous activations occur in the mean time you will be free to go when he arrives."

He stands and looks over the rest of the group waiting by the sofas, "That goes for the rest of you here as well. Just five or ten more minutes people then you'll be free to go about your business."

He glances at the last two remaining cocoons before adding, "I guess I'll be bringing those two with me, as they will need this room for the next plane group due to emerge in about 45 minutes."

The bickering and power show worried Zoe. Was it going to be petulant children versus wannabe sheriffs from now on? Zoe was not thrilled about living in a comic book world. Still she would protect those she cared. Tempest. Sloane. Her mother and father. Viktor. That guy Josh who was in her thoughts at the moment.

She kept quiet as the brouhaha happened. She whispered to Tempest in a soothing tone when she got off the phone, "Mr. Black will be here soon. Hopefully we'll be out of here. Then we can go get something. Anything you want, Pixie?"

Rebecca sighs with relief, hearing the news. This started to worry Rebecca, everyone were individuals and everyone were taking this differently. Rebecca honestly worried that someone like Amanda having power like she did would be a threat to the general public if she was this irrational. But now...

She decided to ignore her, it seems she's stood down for now, so she grabs a couple sandwiches and a couple sodas and walks back to her seat tossing a sandwich to Millie. "Here. I'm not all regs and grumpy." She said. "My offer still stands for a actual meal in London though, I don't think these sandwiches are meant for a meal..."

She leaned over and whispered. "To be honest, I think we're the only two people that have been talking that are the sane ones... This woman meditating on the floor has the right idea though..."

Millie looked at the scene Amanda made.  "Damn sounds like someone's impatient.   It's just a little check to make sure we are alright, new abilities not withstanding."

"Sorry about that Ms, Rebecca.  Just was thinking about all this.  This is gonna take some getting used to."  

She looks relieved to hear they can leave in a few minutes.  Then Millie looks at her Sandwich.  She's less than impressed .

"Yeah, I'm with you on this, Ms. Rebecca.  Besides it would fun to have someone to talk about anime to in person for once. "

Rebecca chuckled. "No need for formalities, Millie. Rebecca is fine."

She leaned back in her seat, nibbling on her sandwich. "We can head by your hotel, and let you get that arranged so you don't have any issues with them, then get our meals sorted. I was thinking of walking once we get to Trafalgar Square, but I wager if you got a lot of bags we might wanna drop them off first." She said, scratching her head. "Then we can see a few sights."

"I wager with most people staying home today after what happened, things should be... easier in terms of traveling. Lower traffic, lower crowds..."

"I just want to swing by the shops here first, and see my Brother off."

"That will be fine, Rebecca.  But first I wanna ask our friend here a few questions"

She looked at the Paramedic and moved over to him.

"You said there's only a small number of us who can teleport and stuff like that?   Any advice on how to work it since you've been out longer than I have?"

She said trying to teleport another soda towards herself

relay object
Abyss Phantasia *rolls* 6d10: 2+8+8+5+3+4: 30

With the now familiar flash/bang the soda can appeared in Millie's open hand.

"Well done Miss Daniels. However, people have found that it is less tiring to move objects that have been on your person for a while. For instance an object like your phone or watch that was in the cocoon with you will not tire you as much as that can will. You could test it but I don't see the point now. You could probably teleport the can about ten to a dozen times at most before you're out of juice, but I've practised with objects I was in my cocoon with getting on for 50 plus times without tiring."

Millie tries it with her phone and she has soon racked up a dozen 'ports from hand to counter and back again.

"Ok, you see what I mean? Try to practise with something you've been carrying around for a while. Now do you think you could try to move a person? Exactly the same thing as you do for your phone or the soda can but try to move me to the other side of the sofas."

Millie tried a number of times, but just couldn't seem to cope with that much mass. She had the same problem when she tried to move herself, she just couldn't get a decent 'lock' on either the mass or the living aura or something.

"Don't worry about it, now you know its possible perhaps you just need to practise more and you might be able to get it. After all you've been at this less than a half hour, and perhaps you are more versatile in a different branch of abilities. You said something earlier about seeing in the Microwave band? May be your abilities lie more with dealing with light, bioelectricity and technology."

It was amazing and terrifying the way the world was changing and the arising of psychic powers - Tempest kept getting and losing a sense of emotions of those around her, keeping her distracted from much of what was going on around her. Though what she felt from Amanda made her look up at her in surprise.

Her mother talking to her helped calm Tempest and ease her anxiety. Tempest updated Zoe on the status of her friends, starting to relax while hearing herself repeat that they were all fine and in good shape, though Dmitri had lost his mother. Her breathing grew more steady, though it was still faster than normal. She scrunched up her nose as she smiled up at her mother.

"Stop calling me, Pixie," Tempest said with long-suffering exasperation, but she was still grinning. "With everything going on, I'm guessing you're gonna be super-busy with Mr. Black. But maybe we can stop somewhere for a real meal. We can do the tourist stuff later. And I think I might have to go clothes shopping, Mom. Whatever those cocoons did to us, I don't seem to be as scrawny as I used to be."

And maybe, soon, I won't be as short and flat as I am, either...

Zoe eyed her daughter anew, nodding slowly. "I think you're right, honey, you do look healthier. Sure, we can do that," Zoe said, trying to hide her disappointment when she noted a hint of dismay in her teenage daughter thinking about going clothes shopping with her mother. "And I'll see about getting some tickets to a West End show in the next few days or so."

Tempest's smile grew wider - she loved musicals, opera too, for that matter, if to a lesser extent - and she gave her mother a quick, one-armed hug before popping to her feet. "Thanks, mom, I'd like that."

Tempest scampered over to the food table and poured herself a large coffee, dumping in more sugar than Zoe was comfortable with her using, unconsciously humming, working on a new melody for a song based on this insane experience. Taking a detour back to her seat, Tempest warily eyed Amanda and the older woman she had been exchanging heated words with, before approaching the girl she had met on the plane. Amanda's emotions were the ones that had whipsawed the most, that Tempest had felt anyway, using one of her new uncanny senses.

"Hey, Amanda," Tempest said with genuine, if still subdued, cheer. "Hope your friend - Cheryl, was it? - came through this... this whatever it is okay too. Don't know what all you have going on while in London, especially now, but I'd still like to hang out sometime while I'm here too. Stuff is pretty crazy - and yeah, it's great having Mom here - I'd still like a friend near my age to talk with about it."

Philip floated through a sea of stars. Relaxed and peacefull, he let the 'current' take him where it may. He didn't know how long it had been, he didn't care. But a muffled voice echoed in the distance. I said something about hackers in the US. He turned, and there where no stars, just a cityscape burning. The cityscape was a collage of all the places and sights from his trips to the US. He looked down and saw people with bandana's over their faces throwing molitovs at an amalgam of the sites he had worked on for Viktor. In panic, Philip flew down to stop them, but they ignored him. He moved to ristrain one, but flew right through them. He turned to helplessly watch the site burn and saw Viktor's head above the site. Viktor looked at Philip disapointedly. The disapointment crushed Philip. Philip launched himself at the site.

Philip woke with a start. He lunged out of his pod screaming "NOOO", and fell flat on his face. Philip lifted his head and looked around. He was lying in a normal room. No fire anywere. He lay there for a moment, coming to his senses.

"Viktor!" Philip adjusted his glasses, and logged in to check Viktor's sites, starting in the US. He was totally obliviouse to the pile of debre he was lying in, or the fact that he was lying at all. He didn't notice the expressions on anyones face, or even the paramedic trying to talk to him. He was totally engrossed in the empty space roughly a meter ahead of him, where his virtual displays where sitting. It didn't even occur to him that he wasn't speaking or gesturing to make his glasses work...

"Mr Robertson? Mr Robertson."

Gwyn gazed down at the man sitting upright on the floor amidst the remains of his cocoon he resembled someone sitting in his bath. Catching a glint of flashing light in the lenses of the man's Smart glasses Gwyn relaxed a little when he realised that he was simply absorbed in whatever he was doing. Probably online and work judging from his file and comment. A quick scan of his health aura showed there was nothing wrong with Mr Robertson, so Gwyn just needed to get him out from his cocoon bath.

Glancing back to check for a space on the sofas Gwyn but a hand on his shoulder and with a flash/bang Mr Robertson arrived on a sofa at the far end from the others.

Zoe was surprised to recognise the man who appeared on the sofas as someone she had met with Viktor a couple of times. A young genius computer programmer/security specialist and from his shout of Viktor's name he was working on something for him now.

"Well, it appears Mr Robertson is fine, just absorbed in some computer work on line now doubt. He also seems to be using his abilities to do so. Can anyone else notice the slight pulsing of his light or star or mote or whatever you choose to call it showing he is using an ability? It's faint, so you might miss it."

"Yeah she's fine, tempest thanks for asking." Amanda pats the seat next to her.

Tempest hesitates for a second  looking over at her mom.

"Its ok, really i'm not nuts and i won't bite i promise." Amanda make the cross hearts gesture. as tempest sits.

"Cher didn't get any wacky abilities, but she ok probably better than us she was kinda chubby now she's gonna really be a hottie, and won't need the glasses either. Not like us." She leans closer and lowers her voice.

"Be careful what you show them Tempest, your mom too. My dad, your Victor Black. these people," She indicates the Paramedic. "They know who we are and when they find out what we can do, they are going to want to control it."

She crosses her arms. "I like you. Which is unusual for me. I'm going to stay here for a litle I want to figure out how to do whatever it is i can do now, and it would be nice to have some one to work with. we can do other stuff too. what do you say?"

Sakura stood with a liquid grace from her lotus-position on the floor and quietly padded over to Tempest. She wasn't trying to sneak, she was just naturally hushed in her movements. She caught the end of Amanda's rant to the other teen and gave the tempestuous girl a thoughtful nod. "A tad dramatic, perhaps, but not an unwise course of action."

To Tempest she said, "I could feel what you did before, how you changed your...pattern? They way you are made up." Sakura sighed in frustration. An author should be able to find better words for all of this!, she groused to herself. "I'm not certain beyond sensing things what I can do, but you're the only person who's used an ability that seems to...ping? I guess...to my own senses. Would you mind if I kept in touch? Or perhaps we tried to figure out what we can all do together?" Her glance included Zoe and Amanda in the question as well. "I'll be in London...well, as long as I want, so..." She shrugged, trying not show her own nervousness and shyness.

"Umm.... sure?" Tempest replied hesitantly toward Sakura - the woman had to be almost ten years older than herbefore grinning at her and Amanda and nodding with more assurance. "Sure, seriously, I'd like that. My friends seem to be okay, but none of them seem to be like, well, us, and I think it will be easier to talk about this stuff with others who can do similar things. We're only in London 'cause Mom is here on a business trip and tacked on a week vacation after it... though with everything that's happened and is happening, who knows how long we'll be here. I'm Tempest." She tried to deepen her voice add some gruff suaveness to it, and was surprisingly more successful than she expected to be. "Tempest Taylor."

Initiating OpenSync on their smartphones, Tempest and Sakura exchanged contact info, the younger girl looking back down at her hands and wriggling her fingers, lips curving in a fierce grin. "Yeah, hopefully I can pull more tricks than just channeling Lady Deathstrike here." Tempest tilted her head, regarding her two new, potential friends with a wry twist of her lips. "As for hiding this shit or people trying to control us... I'm not sure if that is going to be possible. I dunno how far you guys can hear -  see - however we sense those stars in our minds, which seem to be other psychics, but I think I can sense them across the entire planet. There are a lot of us. I'm sure there are places where people will try, like in dictatorships, fascist states, the Middle East or whatever, but I don't think it will work well."

Tempest brushed back her dyed, red hair then nodded at Paramedic Jones and her mother. "How do you control someone who can teleport or talk in your head or whatever else we can do?" She nodded at Millie and Rebecca. "Or people with telekinesis and can control electricity?"

"That's one of the things we will find out, Temp. Oh can I call you Temp?" Amanda replies to both of her new friends after introducing her self to Sakura and adds her phone to the others to exchange contact data. "We should be discreet and learn as much about each others powers as well as our own push the limits. My mother is a diplomat here in London, and well you know who my father is probably. So I have to finish school here but i don't want to do it in London I'm going to try to get a place outside that's more private and secure. I know i may sound paranoid. I'm not really just practical and my best friend Cheryl is a big science fiction fan and she always telling me about these sorts of stories so yeah." She shrugs. Look I'll give you guys a call once i get things settled down and if everything goes as I'd like I'll have a place to stay that can probably accommodate all of us, including your mom Temp. And temp Make sure you warn her about about revealing to much to Black."

Smiling as her mind races from thought to thought and paln to plan trying to make sense and find the best path she shoots a thought to Cheryl < wish you had gotten these but your my best friend Hun and I'm taking you with me its gonna be a ride. Change of plans though hang tight ill fill you in when we get to the car.>

Amanda sits back and joins in with the small talk with Tempest and Sakura while she waits to be released.

"That will be fine, Rebecca.  But first I wanna ask our friend here a few questions"

She looked at the Paramedic and moved over to him.

"You said there's only a small number of us who can teleport and stuff like that?   Any advice on how to work it since you've been out longer than I have?"

She said trying to teleport another soda towards herself...

"Still trying to wrap my head around how you do that."

Indeed she was, what she was seeing was something that just violated what she knew of nature. Then again she could sense the psychic energy pulses that happened when the object moved. She resigned herself to the fact that scientists would be better suited to explaining how something could move faster than light... wait was it even moving?

Rebecca decided not to follow that thought process further, she was liable to develop a nose bleed.

"I'm starting to notice my talents are a bit more physical... and that there is a lot I can do that I can't do here. Well that and that natural GPS now that I got in my head." She said, pointing to her head. "At least I'll never get lost. At least if a landmark's nearby... Seems I gotta work out my brain now just as much as keeping my body in shape."

"Luckily where I'm moving to there's lots of open space. Enough to quietly work on what I can do."

A thought crossed Rebecca's mind...

One more thing, James.
I might need something in terms of weights. I think I'm going to start working out.
I have a inkling...

She sat back in her seat, pulling out of her other pocket a set of dog tags she always kept with her... "Seems Chips was there with me all along..."

Archived