Game Proposal - Adventure!

Noir

Adventure!

ST: Noir (Persephone)

I am fully open to running Adventure! if there is interest in it. The setting can be anything from 1920's up to Modern era, though I am leaning more toward a modern era game. This is a loose proposal at the moment as era and such can determine many factors.

If you are interest please let me know and state the era preferred.

So it is looking like a modern era game. So a few questions for you all...

Tone:

What kind of tone would people like? A light, high action adventure tone? More serious/gritty?

Setting:

The normal Adventure! setting and timeline (minus Aberrants and Psions) up to present day so the Aeon Society is coming up on it's 100th anniversary?

Discard all the history/timeline stuff from the book and have a modern Hammersmith Incident?

Discard the book setting and timeline all together and the PCs are just exceptional people?

Any other suggestions?

Definitely interested, especially if the setting is modern; either modern Hammersmith or just exceptional people work for me. In terms of tone, I prefer a sort of middle path; James Robinson's epic Starman comic perfectly sets the tone of guarded optimism I enjoy. Yes, the world is messed up, but individuals can make a difference.

At the moment I am thinking...

Either you are already a already team or you all work for the same person/company and are just now assembled as a team. (It saves lots of time which in PBP is kind of at a premium.)

A group of 'problem solvers'. It allows HUGE room for varied stories from recovering people/property to cleaning up a mess, rescuing hostages, finding a lost research team, recovering the experimental thingy they lost contact with or whatever. It would be a private company, so without actual governmental authority. Thereby you guys may be hired to do some things that a government cannot officially do and it means that sometimes the authorities are as much of a threat as the bad guys. And the team would need to be a diverse group of people with many talents allowing for a wide range of concepts. The money and/or action would attacks quite a few people as being so exceptional it is hard to really push yourself of find a thrill in mundane life.

The date I would push forward 5-15 years, making it 2020-2030 to leave some room for me to fill in some incidents and events of my own and allow more freedom in general, but still very close to today.

The Hammersmith Incident would ether be a modern day occurrence (and probably totally secret) or just not going to happen at all and you are just exceptional people (including psychics or some guy gifted in voodoo or whatever). Just like today, the general populous doesn't particularly believe in that kind of stuff, but that does not mean it's not there. Heh. Either way the Hammersmith Incident or lack there of would have no impact on character creation.

I will probably also allow the purchase of any knacks, just as long as there is no uber powergaming. We are all adults here. Heh.

Thoughts?

Sounds like we have a plan there. I will be adding some new knacks, mostly to reflect modern times and some other stuff and I am still deciding on TPs, so do not get too into the math of character creation yet. But I do know that you'll all get Resources 3 and Backing 3 to reflect your employment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am including some new Knacks and tweaking others (like allowing Navigational Hazard to be purchased for use on foot). Feel free to suggest new (ideally modern) knacks as well. Just do not get your heart 100% set on a suggestion. Heh.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I want to play a mystic, but I'm torn between two different concepts: reviving Darlene Lampwick, the Southern fried telepath/telekinetic I was going to use in Bad Penny, or starting a new character, sort of Johnny Depp playing Dr. Strange with somewhat less physical powers. Any idea on which would work better for your game, Noir?

Either could work, though the less overtly physical powers are a slightly easier to incorporate, but not by a huge margin. Much like golden age Adventure!, there are some psychics and the like out there, but the general population does not particular know or believe in them.

Those with quantifiable or overt physical powers like TK, pyro and so on, generally do not go on TV to show off or even respond to university studies. If a person has an ability like that which they can use reliably, they are probably kept secret and well-paid by some sort of agency.

After all, files do exist of the US and Russians both looking into possible military application of psychic abilities decades ago.

Archived