Superheroics

Sandman XI

Alright, the long and short of it. Apparently I missed that the Antarctic base was not a silly little rib on my game and at least one person took it super serious. I apologize, Rebecca and who else ever bought into that.

Celestials United is a privately owned organization that keeps tabs on the superpowered population and gives them help in the medical and legal fields when dealing with their type. Superpowered laws haven't really been codified, so they still operate under normal laws. They make citizens arrests and act in self defense. When Superguy accidentally knocks over a building, CU will probably give him some legal advice if not get him a lawyer if it wasn't his fault. If Megalass gets hurt and no one normal doctor can heal her, CU will seek out someone who can. Celestials United also keeps a running record of superpowered individuals which is in no way complete.

They have no secret bases. They have no militarized group of soldiers. They're just background noise to cover super powered folk's bbutt. :)

Anyone else have questions? You are free to make suggestions also.

POST SCRIPT! From now on I will ask if I think you are joking. I will tell you when I'm joking. Apologies again!

I was looking for a group that was way more involved in the world than what you've described. "They provide dental and legal help" isn't exactly the kind of thing that I was looking for in a game. My character doesn't need that and doesn't need CU for anything, and is unlikely to leave the job that he's passionate for to fight random crime. Had he been liaising to CU, he would have accepted it (with poor grace) but as it stands, Interpol has no reason to work with CU because CU helps on the other side of the law, i.e., the judical and defense side. It wouldn't need to deal with CU because it would be the prosecuting countries who would be interacting with CU.

As another ST, I can tell you it's a lot easier to handle a game if you have a central location for your characters. An organization for them to join is very good; even if it stretches plausibility a bit, it give the PCs something to attach themselves to so that they end up in the same place. My PC is in Thailand right now; Mala’s in the USA. They work for legal groups that are unlikely to send one of their Celestial agents to liaise with a group that provides health care and doesn’t attempt to prevent or halt crime.

Also: none of this post is a joke.

Since the CU is more of a support group/social club//census bureau, I like the idea of the PCs generating a group specifically tailored to dealing with worldwide supers-related issues whenever they come up.  It's apparently been established that there really haven't been any "super villains" in the world yet, and both Mala and DawnOOC have concepts that represent supers who are now part of law-enforcement, perhaps after a while a larger org like the UN will take notice of a group that sets out to fill this role and grant them some kind of international jurisdiction the way S.H.I.E.L.D. has.

It's better we not have that kind of support structure in the beginning since it's too much of a safety net, let us be responsible on our own first.  I like how we don't have government orgs scrambling to try and acquire as many of us as possible like in Aberrant, or trying to severely suppress us before we upset the power balance like in X-men.  Since any government oversight org is destined to fill with corruption (the larger it is the faster it happens), I'd prefer we be at the beginning of that process so we can at least try to head it off.

Here is what I am thinking:

Our team would be used more than to contain the threat of a super villain Celestial. (would that be Infernal in this case?)

We could also set up our team to handle humanitarian concerns, rescues, and maybe set up civic efforts as well (good PR is always good for a team).

That and our heroes can still have singular interests. I know Youko might take up some efforts in helping law enforcement whenever she can. Perhaps working with Interpol.

Since the CU is more of a support group/social club//census bureau, I like the idea of the PCs generating a group specifically tailored to dealing with worldwide supers-related issues whenever they come up.  It's apparently been established that there really haven't been any "super villains" in the world yet, and both Mala and DawnOOC have concepts that represent supers who are now part of law-enforcement, perhaps after a while a larger org like the UN will take notice of a group that sets out to fill this role and grant them some kind of international jurisdiction the way S.H.I.E.L.D. has.

It's better we not have that kind of support structure in the beginning since it's too much of a safety net, let us be responsible on our own first.  I like how we don't have government orgs scrambling to try and acquire as many of us as possible like in Aberrant, or trying to severely suppress us before we upset the power balance like in X-men.  Since any government oversight org is destined to fill with corruption (the larger it is the faster it happens), I'd prefer we be at the beginning of that process so we can at least try to head it off.

First, you have described a game I don't want to play. Setting up a bureaucracy is boring to me and over PbP, it takes too long. Second, the moment you get more than two people involved in something, corruption becomes possible. Most government orgs do have internal controls. Yes, corruption still happens but its not as rampant as any Libertarian will tell you it is. Setting up those internal controls brings me right back to my first point: that shit is boring, at least to me, and will take months of IC and OOC back and forth while the game bogs down in BS.

If you want to be independent, fine. Again, I've done that game and it's not what I'm looking for right now.

Here is what I am thinking:

Our team would be used more than to contain the threat of a super villain Celestial. (would that be Infernal in this case?)

We could also set up our team to handle humanitarian concerns, rescues, and maybe set up civic efforts as well (good PR is always good for a team).

That and our heroes can still have singular interests. I know Youko might take up some efforts in helping law enforcement whenever she can. Perhaps working with Interpol.

Is Youko any kind of real law enforcement? If not, Interpol doesn't want untrained civilians on their cases. They are an international police force and the CU doesn't actually provide any credentials to celestials. All they do is help them after they've broken the law. That exact reason is why I advocated for a central group that was empowered to give credentials. Being responsible for yourself is all well and good but it leads to exactly what I thought Sand was trying to avoid: having people trying to fight crime without making the world governments blatantly ignoring the fact that these are super-powered civilians or having to arrest the PCs who don't link up with an actual group such as Interpol or the FBI.

And Rebecca, I'd rather not do anything with your character having any kind of central point because I don't want to deal with the inevitable drama when things don't go your way and you rage-quit for three minutes then come back and want in again - rinse and repeat.

TL;DR: If this is seriously the game we're having, where we're just random schmoes fighting crime all over the world, then I would rather not play at all. I've done that before and I don't have the desire to do so again.

You and Darksol have very different ideas then. He specifically wanted people to be "responsible for themselves" for a while. At this point, Sandman needs to clarify exactly what he's planning on running, and once he's done that, I'll decide if I'm in or not. If CU is a group that offers a safety net and nothing else, I probably won't, because for all the reasons I said above.

Also, your pattern of behavior is public and has a massive impact on games you're in. So yes, it is a factor in my thoughts about what do to with your PCs.

People, nothing is set in stone yet and things are being worked out.

Sand is tweaking and getting a feel for us, the game we want and the game he wants. He can change his mind on things still. No biggy. Just voice your opinion for Sand to hear and it will all get worked out.

First, you have described a game I don't want to play. Setting up a bureaucracy is boring to me and over PbP, it takes too long. Second, the moment you get more than two people involved in something, corruption becomes possible. Most government orgs do have internal controls. Yes, corruption still happens but its not as rampant as any Libertarian will tell you it is. Setting up those internal controls brings me right back to my first point: that shit is boring, at least to me, and will take months of IC and OOC back and forth while the game bogs down in BS.

If you want to be independent, fine. Again, I've done that game and it's not what I'm looking for right now.

A more or less valid point, but you assume that the idea of setting up our own org could not be done via npc behind the scenes.  I've in fact done this in a home game, where we grab various people to handle the day to day while we actually go out doing things.  Come to think of it, wasn't there a Paizo module that did the same thing?

It sounds to me like what you wish to play is something similar to a game of Delta Green or a Directive-focused Aberrant game.  A crime drama such as that would be fine too, but I'd probably continue to be independent while I play.

As to the antarctic base, I wasn't around for that chatroom discussion so how far did that idea progress?

we all get tripped up.    I think the biggest question for Sand is "What does he "WANT" to run?"     not every game is something for every player, but we've a wide enough spectrum of players no game should have too much trouble finding someone to play.

It's not anything personal, some people just have games they'd like to play, and game's they don't want to play.   As an ST I try to only run games I like the idea for, because if i don't find it interesting

Archived