Superheroics

Sandman XI

Since I can't get my head out of that type of genre, who wants to play? The world would be a grayish area, could be lighter, could be darker. There have been powers for about 10 years now. Long dormant, Divine Energy started infusing people daily. One person a day for the past 3650 days (except on February 29th of all days :P). And it never seems to stop. Some have been blessed with magnificent powers, others just get cool effects. No one knows when they will be infused, it picks people at random. The world hasn't changed much in the past 10 years. Maybe a few news stories are different because of the inclusion of superheroes, but everything is the same in spite of a nail.

People have just recently kicked into the superhero phase. Putting on costumes and going to save the day. It's not a normal thing, but people of the world are emboldened by it. You also have people who use there powers to great effect for their own gain, but no one has identified as a "supervillain" yet. The PCs are in that superhero phase. They might not wear costumes, but they are dedicated crime fighters. They will eventually band together to take on a massive threat. Then they will probably join a group.

I'd like to use Mutants and Masterminds, but if that doesn't get any love, we'll do Aberrant. This will be a great amount of power (and responsibility :P) PL10 if Muntants and Masterminds or a nice chunk of Nova Points if Aberrant. Looking for 4-6 players.

Any questions? Any suggestions?

Things discussed in chat so far

"How is this happening?"

The old gods forms have faded, leaving behind their essence. The essence now seeks out new hosts.

"Hows the government taking this?"

They're helpful, trying to study the new divinely infused. Not that they're going to hunt you down if you don't do so.

"Can I be a villain?"

No. Good guys only. You don't have to be a paladin, but try to stay away from kicking puppies and eating babies :P

"Are we specific gods?"

No, just raw divine essence infusing you to make you powered.

"So, what about the government?"

I'm thinking about setting up a nonmandatory superhero registration with laws and bylaws, rights and responsibilities. The government won't hunt you down if you don't join, but you will have perks. You won't be considered a citizen when making an arrest, but that's as far as that goes. The government will want to study your powers, for use of making your life better (and totally not weaponizing your powers ;)).

As I said this is nonmandatory.

"Can I work of a law enforcement agency?"

Sure, would make the paperwork ten times more easier ;)

"What about costumes?"

Wear them. Don't. up to you.

This sounds like fun, and I would really like to play an M&M game.

One question...is the divine essence thing something that is actually known/believed by the world at large? Are there crackpot theories about it? Quiet mystics thrumming about it on remote mountaintops?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I've been thinking about it. After about 10 years, i think there'd be at least an inkling that it's divine energy. Though the only ones who absolutely know its divinity is the recipients. The reason everyone's getting it, no one knows. Not even the mystics sitting on top of the mountains. Maybe that's something your characters want to find out?

I've been thinking about it. After about 10 years, i think there'd be at least an inkling that it's divine energy. Though the only ones who absolutely know its divinity is the recipients. The reason everyone's getting it, no one knows. Not even the mystics sitting on top of the mountains. Maybe that's something your characters want to find out?

I would actually be happy with the fact that this is all that divine energy from the now defunct gods and goddesses of old has no reason or source except the entire pool of energy. To leave it as a mystery and to have us create something new with that power seems far more interesting to me.

So, i'm not really feeling the government involvement. Then again, superheroes would be, by law, classified as vigilantes. No matter their methods. And that's not something I want to deal with. People with powers have been around for 10 years. Now they're organizing their own to police their own. While I did say the game was going to be grayish, i really dont want to start the game off near dark and work up (or down!) I want the heroes to decide their own fates.

Suggestions/Opinions?

Give the world an international organization that watches over the powered people, especially those that want to be heroes. Not some lurching "Big Brother", just a sensible amount of oversight that allows the whole "hero" thing to work in a semi-realistic setting. Simple, light, and we don't have to make a big deal out of it. 

Having the government able to keep minimal tabs and give the superheroes some legal protections is a good idea. Otherwise, you have the Spiderman issue where he's a criminal. I don't think that policing their own would work for the world governments; they would want to continue to have some power over the superheroes, and for the heroes to have accountability to them.

If you want to do it on a smaller level than Mala recommends (though her recommendation is great as is), I recommend that each super has to offer an ID of some kind (and allow it to be their super one if you want), a list of their powers, and sign a document that protects the municipalities from lawsuits if they fuck up. In exchange, their arrests have merit and they won't be arrested for helping out. They will have to bow to the police orders in cases when working directly with them, and can't conceal evidence from them (just as any individual cop has to do). They WILL have to appear in court (I'm looking at you, Superman) to testify.

Indeed! That will kind of make the herding a bit easier. So, the privileges will be some legal protection, health benefits and probably some other minor perks. It's like Club Divinity :D (that name is horrible!). the organization does not know the whereabouts of all 3650 (and counting) but they make it their job to find out. Maybe they use some of their members to help.

As for the Superhero Initiative, this is not their doing. It all started when there was a call to action. A call to police their own. Selfish superpeople want to be selfish? then responsible folks like yourselves will be responsible.

Seeing as this is PL10 it can be worldwide, but I'd like to choose a city or at least a country (default united states, but suggestions for others can be suggested) I'm not going to keep you from traveling world wide but i will try to guide you (and hopefully not railroad)

Call it "Project Pantheon" not Club Divinity. A international team dedicated to the protection, assistance and development of Humanity.

The US is always the default, but Europe is a scenic area too, base us out of London if you wanna have a twist... If we are a world team that is.

Better idea: I suggest having it started by a divine-touched in a third-world country or a developing nation like India. The US and Europe don't own or start everything.

And another name, please. Project Pantheon doesn't say gray-toned to me. 

The logistical issues seem fairly minimal to me: teleporters and something to keep out the cold. I'm pretty sure Sand was okay with both of those. I know you wanted your island but its not as hard as people keep trying to make it. Especially for a game where people have 1) proven the existence of the Divine without question; 2) have been becoming little gods themselves; and 3) have been doing all of this for ten years with a steady, daily increase in their numbers.

I know my ship has sailed on the island idea. Was just thinking more on how we're arranging it, and if it was locked in while I was out. Just knowing what's happening.

I wagering the non-adapted might have something to keep themselves warm when taking a walk or doing training in the wide open expanses of the Antarctic ice plains, so not a issue. With the logistics in place then I guess we're set.

Also PL-10 characters aren't really strong enough to be called little gods. PL-12 I think would be that scale. Of course supers in the real world would be pretty indistinguishable from gods and goddesses to start with, true. Just thinking PL-12 might be more fitting for us Celestials.

10 years, eh? So what is the year/date we're starting at?

I've decided Februrary 14, 2005 was the first. As As of February 19, 2015, there are 3655.

The power level fluctuates between individual. Some are powerful, some are just neat tricks. You are on the side of more powerful. I haven't decided if there are more powerful than PL10, but then again, PCs don't see power levels so no one knows :P

Hm. I must think on this...

I kind of want to do Kia...but she's always been school age before. I don't have a clear idea of what she'd be like as an adult.

In regards to the question posed, I like random. Having less information to start out creates mystery, and mysteries are interesting. :)

[salmonMax] 3:22 pm: So Sandman! This supers game you want to run.
[salmonMax] 3:22 pm: I am a little fuzzy on the nature of the organization we're part of. Can we talk about it?
[sandman XI] 3:24 pm: its an organization that keeps numbers on the superpowered people of the world
[sandman XI] 3:25 pm: they keep medical and legal tabs on them
[sandman XI] 3:26 pm: they really dont interfere
[sandman XI] 3:26 pm: its just a cover my ass part of the setting   
[salmonMax] 3:27 pm: Hehe
[sandman XI] 3:27 pm: superpowered people are no different than any others
[salmonMax] 3:27 pm: Okay is it a privately funded group? Do they do things for profit? Are we employees? Or is more like a sort of nonprofit thing?
[salmonMax] 3:28 pm: Just trying to work out what kind of background I need to connect with them.
[sandman XI] 3:28 pm: They're like Buffy's watchers. they dont do anything but catalogue
[sandman XI] 3:29 pm: probably not that active in your life though. unless you need special medical attention or legal help
[Rebecca OOC] 3:29 pm: So why are we even signing up with them, when all they do is just sit like a network.
[salmonMax] 3:29 pm: The Watchers were more like a secret society....
[Rebecca OOC] 3:29 pm: That Antarctic base isn't a thing anymore?
[sandman XI] 3:30 pm: i seriously thought you guys were joing about the antarctic base
[salmonMax] 3:30 pm: And the Watchers were also a lot more than just cataloguing things.
[sandman XI] 3:30 pm: Celestials United is like superpowered outreach program
[salmonMax] 3:30 pm: They kept a stranglehold on information about the supernatural, and claimed sole governance over the Chosen One for centuries. They were a
pretty active bunch.   
[sandman XI] 3:31 pm: they help when they're needed
[salmonMax] 3:31 pm: Ah, but who decides when that is?   
[sandman XI] 3:31 pm: but they're not going to be running your lives
[salmonMax] 3:31 pm: I'm not trying to poke holes, but clarify.
[Rebecca OOC] 3:31 pm: So we aren't starting as a team either, without a base?
[sandman XI] 3:32 pm: medical and legal, Max
[salmonMax] 3:32 pm: Because all things flow with the money...let's start with that. What funding sources does Celestials United have?
[sandman XI] 3:32 pm: privately owned. worldwide. secret? no.
[salmonMax] 3:32 pm: Okay, so basically, they're funded by wealthy individuals? As a charity?
[sandman XI] 3:33 pm: if you need the help yes, if not no
[salmonMax] 3:34 pm: I feel like I'm not communicating very well.
[sandman XI] 3:34 pm: i never meant them to be that active. they're a plot mover
[sandman XI] 3:34 pm: max, same here   
[Rebecca OOC] 3:34 pm: So no base then?
[Rebecca OOC] 3:34 pm: no overarching team?
[Rebecca OOC] 3:34 pm: Because that is what I thought we were doing just a day or so ago.
[salmonMax] 3:35 pm: Yeah, my impression is that we're all members of this organization, and it forms the backbone of why we're working together.
[salmonMax] 3:35 pm: If that's not the case, then that's fine...
[salmonMax] 3:35 pm: We can come up with something else.
[sandman XI] 3:35 pm: yeah, depending on what i get is how i'll bring you all together.

Archived