Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dawn OOC

[Tara] Coming Home

Recommended Posts

Oh no. This was not pleasant timing, and not good at all. Immediately, Jaime moved away from the food - it might be a bite, but he had no idea what would happen and better to avoid the chance of something that would contaminate the food. No, that was a terrible thing to imagine. The hot rubber balloon swelling feeling continue as Jaime tried to keep his voice level.

 

"Doctor, a moment please?"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dr. Temnikova looked away from the people across the artificial chasm and over her shoulder at Jamie as he addressed her.

 

"Hm?" she asked quizzically before she saw the remains of Jamie's insect attacker on his hand and shoulder, causing her to sigh and shake her head faintly.

 

"YA klyanus', chto Vy chelovek budet nayti vse vrednyye ptitsy, zverya i oshibki.1" she muttered to herself in her native Russo-Euro as she pulled out her medical kit once again.

 

She looked at the wound and frowned for a moment before inspecting it to ensure the stinger or any deposited stinger with venom sac was removed.

 

"Uyazvlennyye neizvestnykh vidov nasekomykh s neizvestnym yadom.2" she spoke softly to herself in a clinical tone, thinking aloud as she reached down and used her medkit to mix a cocktail of anti-venom and other drugs based on the reaction around the wound.

 

Without warning Dr. Temnikova injected injected the cocktail, sprayed the wound with an antiseptic and then a spritz of pseudo-skin. 

 

"There. Tell me if pain persists." she told Jamie with a nod.

 

"... or if you have swelling in throat... or rapid heartbeat... or blindness." she added.

 

She then looked over his hand, cleaning it while she did her best to preserve some of the sample for later examination, and made sure there were no additional bites, stings or skin reaction.

 

 

Translations
1 "I swear you people will find every harmful bird, beast and bug."

 

2 "Stung by an unknown species of insects with an unknown poison."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

George glanced out the window and spotted the security uniform on the other side of the breach then turned back to the engineering brothers as he reached for his tac-radio.

 

"Congratulations on the window, now I need you to take down a chunk of this wall and use it as a bridge across the breach at a narrower point. As soon as possible, we need to continue to sweep for hostiles on their side as well."

 

Switching on the radio as he looked back through the window George absent mindedly scratched Olivia behind the ear.

"Security officer at the breach this is Sergeant Kalnan. We need you to stop anyone else being woken up that doesn't need to be until we have a handle on the security and stores situation and a sitrep on your side of the breach."

 

While waiting for a reply he waves over a Corporal, "Find a way around or over this wall, I want weapons covering the breach within 2 minutes."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Rochelle got her things, Jack kept his eyes on the dangling cryopods, a frown on his face. He was ready to shout a warning and get Rochelle out of the way if they looked like there were about to fall, but for one of the sleepers at least, it didn't look like it was too late for them.  He just wasn't sure how to get to them. There were fiftyish feet up and the hole was more or less in the middle of the ceiling. Without a rope and grapnel - which is really not how you climbed a surface - he would have to climb an overhang. Which he had done plenty of times before... but not someplace like the interior of a ship.

 

"We have a security team member and a pair of doctors up at base camp," Jack said, pondering the pods while Rochelle got dressed. "Well, one is a doctor doctor, the other one is one of the other kind, I think. Got a pair of teen girls and assorted others. Haven't gotten a roll-call, yet," Jack added with a wry grin before nodding at the pods above them, his grin withering into a tight line of determination. "You see or remember any other way up there? You were lucky, and one them wasn't, but there is still a chance for the other up there."

 

Hmm, dangerous. But if we can get up to that level, might be able to rig a simple sling with my other rope, just to provide enough support to get the fellow out of there...

 

"If not... If not..." Jack grimaced, gritting his teeth. He had never lost a client on an expedition - at least not one that wasn't caused by a client's blatant idiocy - but this was an expedition unlike any other, and he wasn't the lead on it either. "We're gonna have to focus on those that are already awake. Find another way down from the base camp or set up better lines for them to climb down - if I can set any anchor points... - and see about reaching the command crew, wherever it is and however many are left."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talina motions Gabriela and after a second the Older redhead, Moira, over to join her . She gently picks up the little fellow so as not to scare him, petting all the while. "What should we call him?"

 

"Puff." Gabriela responds quickly. "For some reason he reminds me of that old children's song."

 

Talina thinks for a second and then starts to softly sing to the creature in her lap.

 

Puff the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honali
Little Jackie Paper loved that rascal Puff
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff

Oh, Puff the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honali
Puff the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honali

Together they would travel on a boat with billowed sail
Jackie kept a lookout perched on Puff's gigantic tail
Noble kings and princes would bow whene'er they came
Pirate ships would lower their flags when Puff roared out his name

 

Surprised she could remember the words to the ancient song her mother sang to her when she was a child Talina closed her eyes to push back the tears, Not now she thought no more crying.

 

Opening her eyes she saw the little furred creature looking at her with those big green eyes. "Did you like that little guy? Do you want to be Puff?"

 

The song
sung without music or accompaniment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

George glanced out the window and spotted the security uniform on the other side of the breach then turned back to the engineering brothers as he reached for his tac-radio.

 

"Congratulations on the window, now I need you to take down a chunk of this wall and use it as a bridge across the breach at a narrower point. As soon as possible, we need to continue to sweep for hostiles on their side as well."

Morgan turned and started to walk away slowly with Michael, "Seems stupid knows no bounds in the verse."

His brother huffed in agreement, "I take it you wanna take a look at structural integrity closer to the bit where it might be connected?"

"Yeah, it looks like we have a much better chance in the skirt section." Morgan said, gesturing vaguely ahead as they walked. "Try and find a welding kit to start. We can worry about securing it once we have something traversable. I'll scout us a landing and start clearing a workspace."

Hope they figure this out soon. Not waking people and we'll have too many dead to build anything viable. I bet those backups weren't designed to operate these popsicles for extended periods of time. Supplies or not, we'll need the manpower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rochelle was satisfied that her belongings are in one piece and she turned to Jack. His thoughts sparked some in her; if she could get a lift operational, they could ferry people up and down. It would take a power source at minimum, and supplies if she needed to fix one. Or, she realized suddenly, they were on the ground level here, and on the same level as the colonization equipment and supplies. Of all the place to find something useful, this was the spot.

 

Dr. Temnikova’s list of symptoms to watch out for wasn’t very comforting and her personal relations didn’t help either. Was he dizzy because of the insect? The medicine? Pure panic?

 

After issuing his orders, George realized that Olivia wasn’t next to him. She was over in the corner, sniffing at something. “Olivia,” he called with a snap of his fingers and she turned, licking her chops. Seeing his heel gesture, she moved back to his side, her golden eyes fixed on him.

 

Puff stared at them all in turn. Moving suddenly, it darted forward and snatched up a crumb from Talina’s shirt, wolfing it down. The tiny eyes dilated and Puff shook violently. Then the tiny fit seemed to have passed, but now Puff was very interested in finding more crumbs.

 

Michael nodded as they walked. “All the welding torches are with the supplies. I think we can climb down the lift tubes to the lower levels and get to them that way.” He glanced down at Morgan’s arm and tapped his metal foot against the ground with a distinct clang. “And by ‘we’ I mean someone who doesn’t have tinker-toy legs.”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A moment of panic as Puff shivers with a small convulsion but shes relieved when he shakes it off and starts searching for more. She pulls the extra bar the guy with the rations had given her earlier and whispers to Gabriela  "Do you think i should give him a little i think he's hungry?"

 

Gabriela gives the other teen a little shrug, "I guess we can see if it wants it. We don't know if it's good for it or not."

 

Peeling open the wrapper and breaking off a tiny piece that amounts to a few crumbs she holds it out for Puff "I'll just give him a little bit so as not to make him sick."

 

No sooner does Talina open her hand with the pieces of food when the little creature pounces on it and wolfs the morsels down.The food vanishes and the tiny rough textured tongue licking for every last bit tickling her palm. Then he goes stiff his eye dilate and he starts shaking again . The shaking lasts a lot longer, in a panic Talina thrusts the opened bar to Gabriela and picks the strange little animal up cradling him through his convulsion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“This is Sergeant Wu, Sgt. I read your orders.†He glanced back at the group he had with him, his eyes roving over them. “We have about twenty people with more showing up in groups here and there. There are injured but no one too badly yet. I’ll head down-ship and stop awakenings.â€

 

Making sure that Jack’s lines were secure, he stood up from his crouch and headed toward the darker areas of the ship. “Hey, Doc!†When he had the blonde bitch’s attention, he said, “New orders, but I’m sure these guys will be safe with you to secure them like a good doctor.â€

 

Turning, he saw Talina looking at him so he gave her a wink before jogging deeper into the downed ship. Had he realized that the fear in her eyes was for the tiny creature she cradled to her chest, he might have stopped briefly. As it was, he kept going.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jaime blinked. Why was Dr. Temnikova's face looking cloudy? .....Cloudier than before? More blinking continued. 

 

Why was the rotation of this new planet all wrong? "All these circles..." Then a little voice of reason whispered through. "...Isss dizziness a side 'fect? Effeekt. Effect."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rochelle zipped up her jumpsuit as she thought about Jack's questions. The first thing that popped into her head were the service ladders that ran between levels. Of course, they'd have pressure seals that would probably have tripped closed because of the hull breach on impact, but they could be overridden, or forced open with manual cranks. But that could take awhile, and if there were a lot of people, they might not all be in shape for that. Which would be a pretty pickle to be in, wouldn't it?

 

"You know," she said as she hunted for some of her tools that she KNEW she'd packed, "I miiiiiiight be able to get the lift going again. It wouldn't be able to carry a lot, but it's all relative. It was made to carry tons and tons. So a few people would be easy enough. But we'd need to find and raid some of the colony stuff for me to do it. There's a whole lotta things that need to be replaced in there right about now...but the breakers and relays SHOULD have broken before the electronics fried. Replace those, and string some new cable here and there, and we can use it to go up and down all through the lower levels. At least while main power holds up."

 

She tucked the items into her belt compartments and turned around to give Jack a nod.

 

"Or we can use the service ladders."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Making sure that Jack’s lines were secure, he stood up from his crouch and headed toward the darker areas of the ship. “Hey, Doc!†When he had the blonde bitch’s attention, he said, “New orders, but I’m sure these guys will be safe with you to secure them like a good doctor.â€

 

 

"Your professionalism is an unwavering rock in this sea of chaos." she said sarcastically back towards Henry as he walked out.

 

"No posmotrite, kto seychas delayet to, chto ya skazal, oni dolzhny delat'.1" she said smugly to herself, in her native Russo-Euro, as she put her medkit away.

 

 

Jaime blinked. Why was Dr. Temnikova's face looking cloudy? .....Cloudier than before? More blinking continued. 

 

Why was the rotation of this new planet all wrong? "All these circles..." Then a little voice of reason whispered through. "...Isss dizziness a side 'fect? Effeekt. Effect."

 

 

"Dizzy? You should not have the dizziness." Dr. Temnikova said as she examined him once more.

 

She checked his eyes, pulse and heart the old fashioned way, with her penlight in his eyes, taking his pulse by his wrist, and checking his heart and lungs with her stethoscope before using the more modern diagnostic devices in her medkit.

 

"High blood pressure is all." she told him with a frown, almost disappointed.

 

"Calm down. You panic like small child who sees spider. Is just bug. Relax." she she told him.

 

"Uh, Doctor?" Talina asked.

 

The unexpected voice caused Dr. Temnikova to turn around to see Talina standing there, cradling a small, furry animal in her hands.

 

"I found him and I gave him some of a ration bar. He really liked it then he stated convulsing. Can you help him?" Talina asked with a hint of fear in her eyes.

 

Dr. Temnikova looked at the animal quizzically for a moment and then opened her medkit once more. She could not help but smile a bit as she examined the little ball of fluff and eyes in Talina's hands, letting her hold him the whole time. The animal's shakes gradually subsided as she examined him until she finally finished and gave him a little scratch behind the ear.

 

"It is... what is term... sugar shock. Severe sugar shock." she told Talina, doing her best to reassure her. She knew that with the situation now and the girl's reactions before that she needed something to distract her at the very least.

 

"Will probably be fine. But no more of our food for now. He has probably had many, many calories for the day now. His reaction suggests that there is not much sugar on planet as a high-calorie source of food. You do not want to stress his system anymore right now." she told Talina with a stern, but strangely warm smile.

 

 

Translations
1"But look who is now doing what I said they should do."

 

Actions
[Noir] 4:48 pm: Carver - So Jamie is dizzy. Medicine roll?

[Carver] 4:49 pm: Yes.

[Noir] 4:49 pm: okies. here goes.

Noir *rolls* 4d6: 6+6+3+5: 20

[Noir] 4:49 pm: woo!

[Carver] 4:50 pm: Well done! His BP has spiked sharply. Could be stress.

 

[Noir] 5:05 pm: And Talina wants to bring Puff to the Doc due to his convulsions.

Is it just sugar or something? Roll to check him out?

     [Carver] 5:06 pm: She can roll Xenobiology to make an educated guess.

Noir *rolls* 5d6: 1+3+3+5+3: 15

     [Carver] 5:10 pm: She can guess that Puff is experiencing sugar shock.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack pondered the intact, dangling cryopod for a moment then looked over at Rochelle and nodded back. "Let's go check on the colony supplies and see if we can find you what you need to get the lifts moving again." And maybe something to help the fellow up there out of his cryopod, Jack mused tensely. "The service ladders might be rough for the injured or those needing to haul gear. And I expect we'll be in and out of the ship, even if we set up base away from the wreck."

 

Jack gave a quick look around, watching for any hostile wildlife, then pulled out his survival knife, just in case. He wasn't particularly skilled in its use as a weapon - if was a tool more than anything else - but it was better than his bare hands if the terror turkeys or something else showed up. "Okay, let's get moving. The faster we get this done, the faster we can get people to safety and we can start working on those not so lucky yet."

 

Jack moved forward, slightly in the lead - not sure much that he didn't think Rochelle couldn't take care of herself, but he had a weapon in hand and she didn't. And a hint of old fashioned chivalry impelled him to but himself in harms way before a woman. Jack smiled to himself with droll wistfulness - his wife had always teased him about his instinctive attitude. "Direct the way to the supply bay, ma'am."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiroki trotted down the ship, stopping people from opening new tubes and sending those awake forward toward the breach. The first console he found was FUBAR, so he moved on. He found dead and injured; the latter he sent on to the front and the former he left. Maybe the aliens can fill up on the dead and leave the living alone.

 

The third terminal was working enough for him to see a repeat of the orders that Kalnan had already given them. Attempts to get through to the bridge were met with computer resistance and he gave up rather than waste his time on a battle he wasn’t equipped to win. It wasn’t until he reached the last terminal that he was finally able to get through to the Captain. Hiroki gave him the status of what he’d seen so far and finished with, “Your orders now?”

 

“Gather everyone awake and put together a full status report. We’ll meet at the breach and work on getting everyone to the ground.” Sarr rubbed his face, looking tired even over the grainy video feed.

 

“Is that wise, sir?” Hiroki asked.

 

“The sensors say that the animals are pulling back from us, for the most part.” Sarr tapped something on another screen. “We need to get down to the ground and set up fortifications. Something safer than a destroyed spaceship.”

 

“Yes, sir.” Hiroki snapped off a salute and headed back to the breach.

 

For the next hour, people pulled themselves together at either side of the breach. In that time, Jack and Rochelle rejoined them after a long climb up the service shaft. She’d found the supply bay but the equipment inside had been tossed around like toys and she’d only found a few things she could use. Morgan and Michael rigged a bridge between the two sections of ship; it wasn’t the safest-looking crossing but no one fell off or got hurt. The command staff joined them, and with Ferro, Roach, and Morgan, they were able to get one of the lifts working again.

 

Between the lifts and the ladders, everyone got safely to the ground, even though Jer still had moments of fear and dizziness. All of the medical staff assured him that he was fine, but as the time went on, he just wanted to crawl into a hole and hide somewhere safe.

 

Ferro gradually recruited a large number of people to help him clear the supply bay. Parts had to be carried out and assessed, with the broken ones set aside to be repaired. The Jeeves helped carry the heaviest pieces, and once they’d unearth the LiftJeeves and Ferro got it activated, they were able to make real progress. Sarr directed the younger people and those who didn’t have anything else to do right to clear an open spot of ground to the south of the ship. It was on the edge of the lake that Jack and Roach had seen earlier. The sticks and rocks and anything that could damage the exterior of the temporary housing needed to be removed.

 

The only one who wasn’t put to work was Gabriela, who found Sarr scowling at her more often than not. When he found a moment, he led her to a spot in the shade of the big ship but still in sight. “Stay here. Try not to cause trouble.” He wasn’t teasing her, he was ordering her around. Worse, she getting worn out and wasn’t feeling well.

 

I know I time-jumped there but you are all down on the ground now. Feel free to do what you’re going to do now that you’re on solid ground.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ground was more steady now, but it was wrong. The air was wrong. Hauling these rocks were wrong. Jaime didn't know why, but human intuition had evolved to ensure primitive homo sapiens avoided danger without losing precious time to question it. His smooth hands were already dirt-stained, but all he really had was the sense. Danger. Need to get away.

 

Slowly, under the pressure of the steady impulse wearing away - Jaime began to edge away from the others bit by bit.

 

The eyes were off him. Jaime tensed, and started running, driven by an unconscious direction of where to go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Standing by the edge of the lake, Jack breathed a deep sigh of relief, a breath of fresh air not redolent burnt electronics, alien animal musk, and the dead and dying. And though he had tried not to make an issue of it, he was very glad to be out of the tight confines of the service shaft - it had been nothing like spelunking.

 

The reddish sun gave the greenery an odd hue, and the lake was almost purple to his eyes. The air was fresh, but had scents that were unfamiliar to him. The sounds were slightly off. Bending down, Jack picked up a handful of dirt and ran it through his fingers. It felt good, but who knew how good it was for planting without doing some tests.

 

The clearing by the lake seemed good enough for a temporary camp, but Jack hoped they would still be able to recover the topological planetary survey data from the ship. It would be needed to choose a new site, a better site for a permanent settlement, since their original choice of landing site now seemed unlikely.

 

Jack had helped with clearing the supply bay, but now scouted the edge of the camp, looking for and learning the tracks the native fauna made. He also searched for animal runs where it might be suitable to set up snares - if they needed to supplement their food supplies and after finding out it the native animals were made of edible meat. He kept an eye out for larger animals paths leading towards the water's edge, in case they had to watch out for larger predators or even the equivalent of herbivores to look out for.

 

The native wildlife had already made it demonstratively clear that this was their world - the humans were the aliens here. Doing another circuit of the camp, Jack found another man-made sign - a boot-print. Jack frowned. The depth of the ball of the foot indicated whoever it was - probably a man by the length and width of the track - was moving at speed.

 

Standing up, Jack crossed the clearing, giving a brief nod and smile at Talina in passing as he walked up to Cmd. Yuan, who he was initially assigned during initial colonization efforts. Waiting until she had a moment free, he gave the attractive Chinese military commander a lackadaisical salute - he was after a civilian subcontracted to her command - and a nod.

 

"Ma'am, Commander, did you give anyone orders to scout deeper into the woods? Because I've caught tracks - human tracks - of someone heading out of the clearing. At a guess, I'd say at a jog or a run."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talina had gotten to the ground at the same time as Gabriela, clutching Puff to her chest. The captain was busy assigning people to tasks, and she was grouped with those heading to the the south by the lake, she gave Gabriela a little wave as she headed off to join where they were gathering.

 

When she stepped out of the shadow of the wrecked Starship she froze. Open Sky, a horizon, a fit of panic started to rise. She had never been off station until the day they had boarded the Melbourne, trading one man made environment for another. Suddenly the little creature she was holding close to her chest started twisting and turning pushing against her arms. She instinctive held him tighter and he stopped struggling but turned his eyes to her. She was sort of taken aback by the distinctive look of disapproval the animal had on its oh so cute face. A look she had to be imagining. All thoughts of the wide open space before her gone, she focused on her immediate world, the world of her and puff.

 

"Whats wrong?"

 

She found it perfectly natural to talk to him but she couldn't say why she felt that way. The little fur ball chirped at her, pushed at her hands again and struggled as if trying to get free. With sadness Talina loosened her hold and the little animal shook him self loose. But he surprised her. She had expected him to jump away and run off, instead he twisted around and jumped onto Talina's arm and climbed up to her shoulder, where he chirped and cooed some more. With puff in place and apparently happier she set off to join her work party.

 

As they made their way toward the designated work area, Puff and she drew a great deal of attention from the Colonist, a mixture of curiosity and some downright fear. "His name is Puff," She explained more than once, "and he isn't going to hurt anyone he's my friend and he's perfectly harmless." All the while Puff would add his own chirps and coos to the conversations as he constantly moved from shoulder to shoulder and even tried to climb on top of her head in an attempt to find a position where he could see everything. Talina had to put a stop to that however for Puff found it hard to stay on her head and had sunk his sharp little claws into her scalp for a better purchase.

 

"Owww"

 

Talina reached up and pulled him down and turned him to look him in the eye.

 

"Look you can't ride on my head your claws are too sharp and your going to fall off. Pick a shoulder and stay put ok." The big green eyes stared at her, then he chirped once and climbed back onto her shoulder. After moving from shoulder to shoulder he finally settled on her left shoulder and would occasionally stand on his hind legs and put his fore hands on her head to look over the other side before settling back.

 

Satisfied with the arrangement, the pair went to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gabriela hated being sick. Wasn't Tara supposed to fix this? She knew it was an unfair thought, that just being on a planet wouldn't magically fix everything wrong with her, but still. It sucked. Everyone else was getting things set up, helping out, and she was sitting on the sidelines. Again. Being useless. Again. And if this went into a full blown episode, she'd be worse than useless. She'd be taking up time and resources a crash-landed settler ship really didn't have to spare. I suck. She stared morosely after where Talina had disappeared. Even Puff prefers someone that's not broken.

 

Pity party, table for one

 

She sighed and pressed her hands to her thighs. They were shaking pretty bad and her body kept flushing hot and cold. From all indications, this was working itself up into an epically bad day for her. She sighed and laid back on the ground. At least real sunlight feels nice and unrecycled air is pretty awesome. Hope I don't die today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morgan walked back around from the other side of the ship mumbling to himself, “Mountains…”

They’re just really big rocks.

“There is a bit more to it than that, but you have to have eyes.”

Ouch.

“The truth hurts, Cass.” Morgan replied, smiling. “We need to finish that rover. They want to start scouting permanent sites once they have sat data.”

You’re the one with the legs.

Morgan smirked as he made his way to where the vehicle had been set aside for him. “How am I suppose to work without a lift?”

You can squeeze under there if you suck your gut in.

“How do you even know if I have a gut?” Morgan snapped.

I just imagined someone that had been laying on their back the whole way here would be fat.

“I’ll fit just fine, thank you very much.” he replied. Morgan sighed as she surveyed the odd arrangement of tools compared to his workspace. Not to mention the lack of a diagnostic pad.

“I need an extra pair of arms…” Morgan shielded his eyes with his hand and surveyed the crash site. Temporary shelters were starting to form and everywhere people were in motion. He glanced back to the ship, wondering if he risked wasting the time to find some kind of hand jack he could use when he saw a person in a sitting sprawl not doing much.

“Cass, I think I found some hands sitting in the shade.” Morgan said.

They’re probably for a Hardhat.

“No, organic ones.”

Well, that’s just gross, probably a victim. You should probably tell someone.

Morgan sighed and shook his head as he approached the girl. She had her eyes closed so he scuffed his feet to get her attention. She looked like she wasn’t feeling well, probably why she wasn’t doing anything at the moment. "Hey, you alright?"

I’m fine.

She shaded her eyes with her hands and shrugged. "Nope, but hopefully I'm dying a little less than I was on the station. You?"

"Trying not to panic about the lack of walls, honestly. Look, I'm not sure how awful you feel, but I know sometimes it helps to distract yourself and I could use another pair of hands since all the rest are being used. Think you're up to it?" Morgan smiled and absent-mindedly scratched his arm.

She watched him suspiciously for a moment, then started to pull herself up. Getting to her feet was a dizzying, unsteady maneuver, but once she was up she was able to keep her balance. "Yeah, sure. Just...slowly, 'kay?"

Morgan extended an arm which she accepted. "Once we get there, you'll have a seat. One of the buggies wasn't happy with our landing. I don't have anyway to hoist it here, so I have to crawl under. Helps to have a hand to pass tools and monitor the dash. I know you can handle it."

She nodded and gave him a weak smile. "Thanks. Nice to know not everyone thinks the stowaway is useless."

She’s going to kill you in your sleep. Can’t trust criminals.

"We lost many more than I care to think about. We'll all be needed. If we lost too many, then it won't matter what we do, accidents and nature will ruin us. Pure numbers game. But even so, the brightside is fresh air, dirt, a sky, real plants, real water...mountains! Never thought I'd see real mountains with real snow." Morgan tripped on a rock but easily caught himself with their pace and laughed. "Guess I need to get used to things being in my way, not that I'll miss sheet metal."

Morgan stopped talking for a second, but then started right back up, "My father always said the only thing that's useless is that which sits in a corner forgotten." He shrugged. "Don't get stuck in a corner.”

That was awful, who taught you to flirt?

“Cass says I should probably shut up. I guess this open air has me more on edge than I'm willing to admit."

"Cass?"

Morgan kinda lifted the arm she was holding. "Cass is a Jeeves that lives in my arm....

Is that what I am to you?

“Yes, I know you are more than that...Mostly, she gives me a hard time."

You deserve it.

Gabriela laughed and for a moment she looked almost healthy. "Wow. That's pretty cool. I didn't know they did...put Jeeves in things other than androids."

Morgan smiled along with her laugh, "Well, I did it. My arm is a replacement, paid for by the bonus. I lost the original in an accident. Lucky though, my brother lost a leg. Way harder to learn to walk again. At least I think so."

"Also, weird to have your leg talk to you," she grinned at him.

Morgan chuckled, "Yeah, don't need more reasons to make people think I'm crazy. I'm Morgan by the way. Friends call me Bot."

"Gabriela Silva. I don't have any friends anymore, but you can call me Bria, if you want."

“A pleasure, Bria.” Morgan responded as he helped her slide into the rover and started pointing out console lights and his small spread of tools and their names.

In your sleep. I warned you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Operating purely on instinct, Jaime crossed the river that flowed out of the large lake. It was warm in the sun but fast-moving; part of him worried about making it across. That part was ignored in favor of the security he knew was on the other side. He found himself pushed down the river a good ways but that was okay, once he'd made it across.

 

He pushed up on the bank and stepped into the woods, the sense of being surrounded and protected soothing him. At a slower pace, he continued, coming to a cliff. He found a way down and looked back, seeing a cave. This wouldn’t be a bad place to hide.

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

Yuan blinked at the scout, incomprehension on her face. “Someone ran off?” she asked, her tone a mix of disbelief and derision.

 

Jack nodded, her question telling him that no, she hadn’t sent someone. “I wondered why you’d send someone other than me,” he said. It wasn’t arrogance fueling his statement; Yuan had contacted him a month pre-departure and they’d talked about her expectations for him while under her command. She’d made it clear that he’d be her primary scout.

 

“No, I didn’t want to send you until we had the camp established. This is troubling, Jack.” Her accent made his name sound more like gi-ack. Her dark eyes scanned the trees on the other side of the river before she said, “Follow them, but not too far. Take one of the security people if you want. One of the canines could help you track.” She looked worried as she said, “Report back to me as soon as you know.”

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

Her peace made with Puff, Talina worked contentedly. It was hard but she found herself relaxing; the hard labor was easy to do on autopilot while her mind wandered, and without thought, she found herself writing a song in her head.

 

“Falling from the sky, blazing star piercing the clouds,” . . . No because what rhymes with clouds? Louds? Oh, shrouds! “Falling from the sky, blazing star piercing the clo—”

 

“There it is.” Nearby voices jarred Talina out of her song just as someone walked to her side. She looked up to see an older woman, but the lady wasn’t looking at her. She was looking at Puff. Before Talina could say anything, the woman grabbed the tiny animal with a quick movement. Puff shrieked in alarm as the other man held out a cage and the woman dropped the little fuzzball into it.

 

If Talina doesn’t attack the lady before she can say anything else, then Talina’s getting a lecture on how alien species are dangerous and only trained scientists are equipped to handle them safely.

:P

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

Morgan and Gabriela had been working for about twenty minutes. It was very comfortable for the teen, sitting in the shade of the machine and passing tools under the bulk of it to her working partner. “Hi, I assume you have my brother’s tools for a good reason,” a male voice said, pulling her gaze up to the guy who’d snuck up on her. He reminded her of Morgan, so that was probably the brother, but he was younger than her new friend.

 

“It’s fine,” Morgan said from underneath the machine, a glove appearing to wave for a moment before disappearing. “Be polite and introduce yourself.”

 

“Heh, sorry about that,” the brother said with a grin, sticking out his hand. “I’m Michael.”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talina was dumbfounded for all of a second as she realized that someone had grabbed Puff off her shoulder. She couldn't believe her eyes as the old woman shoved him into that cage as he shrieked in anguish.

 

"Noooo!"

Wailing she tried to get past the old lady and grab the cage but she was blocked by the womans quick side step. Only thinking about Puff she lashes out ineffectively, the old woman grabbing her arm and trying to hold her still

 

“young lady....young ladyâ€

 

“You fucking bitch You have no right you give him back to me now!†Talina screams drawing the attention of the entire work party now.

 

“Now look here miss. This animal is an unknown potentially dangerous...†The Scientist tried to calm the wild girl but was interrupted again.

 

“Dangerous?†Talina's anger transformed centered itself on this woman if Talina's words had been lasers they would be burning holes through the older woman. “Dangerous? You have got to be fucking kidding me. Every goddamned thing on this planet has been trying to kill us except him,†She exposes her neck and shoulder, displays her hands and arms, “Do you see any bite marks. All Puff has done is given me comfort, something none of you have certainly done. Now give him back!â€

 

“Regardless miss as a colonist you have to abide by certain rules and on of those rules ...â€

 

“I am not a fucking colonist, I was forced to come here against my will, and any obligation to follow your stupid fucking rules ended the minute your stupid fucking captain crashed his stupid fucking spaceship and killed my stupid fucking parents! Now for the last time give Him back!â€

 

 

The woman stone faced looks at Talina with a smirk on her face. “That's not going to happen.â€

 

Then she and the man holding the cage turn and walk away leaving Talina standing alone the sound of Puff's plaintive chirping and cooing calling to her.

 

Talina take two steps to the Pile of rubbish and grabs up a stout stick and starts after them.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OOC Note: If you're going to interact with the Talina situation, this is a Physical Conflict. Posts are now covering only a few seconds in length until the Conflict is resolved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nearby, Gabriela watched the argument unfold. When the scientists turned and started to walk away from Talina, she climbed to her feet and hurried towards them, stumbling slightly as she went. She grabbed at the cage, but there'd been no element of surprise on her part, and the man sidestepped the sick teen's feeble effort easily. Gabriela tumbled to the ground and landed with a thud and an irritated grunt. 
 
Moira had been helping move debris from the other side of the clearing along with Lex, her personal Jeeves, when the commotion started. The girl's angry screams drew Moira's attention along with everyone else nearby, and she started to make her way over towards the red-haired teenager and the adult scientists. When she saw the two adults start to walk away and Talina grab a nearby stick, her brisk walk became a full run. She didn't make it in time to stop Gabriela's failed rescue attempt, but she did make it in time to step in between the angry teenager and her intended targets, holding up her hands in an appeasing gesture. "Wait! Everyone just stop." 
 
Thankfully, Talina stopped. Moira breathed a small sigh of relief, and offered the girl a hand up. As she helped Gabriela stand, the sleek android stepped up next to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. His touch was surprisingly gentle for a Jeeves, almost reassuring. "Are you alright, Ms. Silva?"
 
"Yeah, fine," she replied, a bit brusquely. Her attention was still focused on the scientists and the captive Puff.
 
Moira turned towards the scientists, her professional face on. "Now, I'm sure whatever the conflict is here, it can be resolved calmly. Would someone mind telling me exactly what's going on?" The last part was directed towards all of them, though her voice was calm and non-confrontational.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nina relented in chat in Moira's post, so Conflict is over. Sorry about potentially gumming up the works but I wanted to let Talina have her fight if she wanted one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaking from the adrenaline Talina stopped and listening to Moira calmed her down a bit. She had exploded and reacted badly just so much shit all at once but she has to do this differently. Dropping the stick she steps up beside Moira and Gabriela.

 

“They came up out of nowhere and grabbed Puff and slammed him into that cage. They didn't explain them selves didn't ask. Treated me like I didn't exist. Yes I was angry and scared and I'm sorry for the way I acted†She wipes at her eyes.

 

â€I know what people like this do they kill and experiment on animals. And now that we are here they want to start all over doing what they did to the Earth. All the animals and things people like her made go away.†Talina steps closer, crouching down to be level with Puff in the cage.

 

“This is Puff's world, not theirs. Puff came to us,†She gestures indicating Moira, Gabriela and herself, “He didn't try to hurt any of us, hasn't hurt me, and now they want to put Puff in a cage to study and we all know what that means. Even Dr. Temnikova didn't think he was dangerous or she would have said something when I showed Puff to her. They don't have right to treat Puff like this.â€

 

 

 

actions
talina will be using her socialize to better her speech if possible . Manipulation, Presence, and persuade could all be used here just let me know what she needs to roll if anything
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gabriela brushed the dirt off her clothes, feeling weird that there was dirt on the ground. She frowned at the man holding Puff in the cage, then at the woman who seemed to be in charge of the pair. "There's a whole world of creatures to pick from. Puff is ours. He's been nice to us. It'll be a lot easier for you if you just pick a different one. Otherwise, we're going to follow you around, throw fits, and basically be the brattiest, noisiest, most annoying teenagers you've ever had to deal with. And when that makes me too tired and I pass out and have an EAC episode, I'll make sure everyone knows that it's your fault."

 

Actions

Education Attack using Social Sciences for logical argument to go get a different animal or face the wrath of the teen girls. Aimed at the woman.

Malachite *rolls* 2d6: 3+4-1: 6

Attempting to apply the Uncertain Complication (Mild) instead of doing any Education damage.

 

Socialize Attack using her EAC and other people's reaction to sick kids as a Negotiation Tactic. She only has Negotiation (Tier 4) for this, but if she had a Threats (Tier 5) Skill she would have been able to roll 5 dice.

Malachite *rolls* 4d6: 3+5+6+3-1: 16

This is just Socialize damage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once out of the ship, Rochelle was torn between ogling the natural beauty of the planet, and the enormous demand for an engineer out among the growing tent city. There were an endless series of minor technical glitches awaiting her; from bad wiring to parts needing to be replaced. Not to mention a host of diagnostics that needed to be run on the ship's reactors and coolant tanks to make sure it wasn't about to suddenly rupture and bathe everyone in radiated goo.

 

So she didn't dawdle long. The engineering team had a strict hierarchy, that she sat somewhere near the middle of. She needed marching orders to get things organized, so she started hunting for a Chief or department head to check in with and see what was on the docket.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

George did he share of moving the supplies while Olivia enjoyed being out in the fresh air, snuffling about the place and watching the people moving things about. After a brief stretch to work the remaining kinks out from the cryosleep George grabbed his day pack and weapons, checked Olivia's 

armour was securely fastened and sought out Commander Yuan for orders.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The two goons are minions, which means they have a set TN and they go down with one hit. In this case, Scientist #1 (one speaking) and Scientist #2 (holding Puff) have 12 and 9 TN respectively.  

 

Bria’s first roll failed against the woman; Bria would have needed a 12 or better to succeed. Her second attack against the woman’s Socialize but as a minion, she only gets to take one “hit”. So when Bria succeeds in hitting her socially, the woman is defeated.

 

“We’re supposed to collect animal specimens for study. This is the first and only one of these creatures we’ve seen.” The woman scowled hard at Gabriela. “If you have a problem with that, you’ll have to talk to Dr. Bellamy, who gave me these orders.”

 

“Then give me Puff while you do that,” Gabriela ordered.

 

The adult scowled at her. “No, we all go together and get this sorted.”

 

“Fine,” the teen snapped.

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

She found Ferro himself in a cluster of engineers, handing out assignments with the help of Sakura. “Name?” he barked as Rochelle joined them.

 

“Uh, Rochelle McKendrick,” she said.

 

“She’s a good one, 7 of 10, Leo,” the pretty robot told him, looking fresh and untroubled despite the tragedy. She had the advantage of not sweating or feeling discomfort, which helped her composure.

 

Ferro on the other hand, looked tired and sweaty, and had a long scratch down one cheek. “Great,” he said, his voice bright and eager despite the fatigue etched into his face. “We need you for the Tower.” Rochelle had expected that she’d be put on getting the TWR – the transwave reactor – up and running so she wasn’t surprised. “But for now, I need you to make sure that the ship’s Tower is going to hold. The computer says it’s okay but I don’t trust it so I need someone to do a manual diagnostic. You can handle that, right?”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morgan had missed most of the commotion as he worked on the buggy.  He only decided to crawl out when he saw Bria scamper off.  He watched the drama unfold and shook his head, "I though the psych evals had matched us to prevent crap like this?"

 

Nothing is perfect.

 

"Ah well, glad it's above my pay grade."  Morgan wiped his hands off and then realized he also needed to brush off nearly the entirety of his coveralls.  He smiled and took a moment to smell his hands as he climbed into the driver's seat.  "Never gonna get tired of dirt.  Now let's see if this thing does more than drive left."

 

The steering was difficult to adapt to at first.  Driving over rock, plants, and really just uneven terrain was wholly different than the sterile metal holds of a station.  After a minute however, the initial shock wore and Morgan calmed his nerves.  "We better thoroughly test this, we need to make sure."

 

You're going to get in trouble.

 

"Nah, I won't go that far.  Just a quick lap around the camp and back."  Morgan said, "I want to feel the wind."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Will do, Commander" Jack acceded, though he was sure his idea of 'too far' and Yuan's probably weren't the same thing. But seeing how aggressive the native wildlife was, he certainly had no intention of going off without a security team member. Not until he learned better how to survive on Tara, at any rate. "I'll be back with news, one way or another."

 

Jack was just turning to go when George came around, the large fenine at his side. Taking in George's armaments and the animal's armour in a glance, Jack gave him a nod and a crooked grin as he jerked a thumb towards the river. "Guess you're with me, then. We have a runner to track down."

 

George looked a question at Yuan, who nodded back. "As he says, Kalnan." Yuan exhaled an irritated sigh. "This day just gets better and better."

 

"Just got to get my pack and I'll be ready to go," Jack said, "and just a warning, we'll be crossing the river. By the way, I'm Jack."

 

George returned Jack's handshake, then nodded down at the fenine. "I'm George. This is Olivia."

 

Jack nodded back, though the look he gave the fenine was a bit cautious. Yes, there were great companions and work/security animals, but he had seen them go feral in the wild - they were aggressively territorial fucks that could make a hippopotamus seem mild mannered in comparison.

 

Stopping by his heavy pack and other gear he had retrieved from his pod-cubby, Jack swiftly packed a smaller, water-proof bag with some gear, the medkit - at least what remained of it after whatever the Doc had used - and power-bars, and slung a pair of water bottles over his shoulders. The survival knife and hatchet were secured to his belt. "Ready to go."

 

Jack lead George and Olivia to the river, showing them where their runaway had crossed. "He crossed here. If Olivia can pick up a scent, great. Let's head upriver a ways to make sure when we cross, we don't miss the runaway's pass. If we're lucky, we might even find a natural ford or shallow area that make the crossing easier."

 

From his pack, Jack pulled out a collapsible aluminum-alloy pole and extended it with a flick of wrist, using it as a walking stick and something to test the ground and depth of the river.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was something about the cave that made it the best of hiding places, to Jaime's understanding. Was it the shade? The cool darkness, or probable winding depths? Probably all of them or more. The chef continued his strange way down, rocks and gravel crunching under his shoes. As he entered, Jaime took in the stillness and silence. Yes. It was safe.

 

From what? Not something to ponder, lest he be unsafe. It was coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankful for Gabriela and Moira on so many levels Talina steps forward again.

 

"First he isn't a specimen, his name is Puff. And before you say anything He responded to it immediately not just the sound of our voices but he understands what I say too him. Second You had no right to treat him like an insect and me like a piece of your property. that's why a lot of the people here joined this project for a chance at freedom being denied by the circumstances of Earth and the Stations. and third you are frightening him to death, you grabbed him caged him because all you see is specimen. Now lets go get this straightened out with Dr. Temikovna, but you let me carry him so i can calm him down."

 

The older scientist looks at the three of them then heaves a frustrated sigh. "If it will get you to *shut up* then fine."

 Her giving  causes her partner to look askance at her but when she nods for him to hand  the animal over, he complies.

 

"Keep him in the cage understand."

 

Talina nods as she takes puff back immediately bringing him up to her face and putting her fingers in the cage to comfort her little friend. "I'm sorry Puff we are going to get you out i promise."

 

 

action
will be trying to persuade her again that's socialize and persuade

 

    [Carver] 2:32 pm: Nina: You can roll persuasion. Tn 12.
[Lobby]: Noir has left at 2:32 pm
Nina *rolls* 3d6: 4+5+5: 14
     [Carver] 2:34 pm: You can edit
     [Carver] 2:34 pm: Add the roll in the spoiler.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morgan steered the mobile tool to the edge of camp, conveniently avoiding the engineers and techs huddled around Ferro. Michael just shook his head at his brother as he drove off, grinning with a fond envy. “Fix your own,” Morgan told him and drove away from camp. The electric engine made a soft hum, operating off a massive battery that was charged by the Tower. He had more than enough power to do a joy ride and get some work done.

 

Driving around to the far side of the poor Melbourne allowed him to see the mountains and Morgan slowed the vehicle a little so he could enjoy the view longer. He’d seen vids of them before but it was different to see them with his bare eyes. The knowledge that no other sentient creature had been there before made him want to go and see it, to be first.

 

Something grabbed his ankle, scaring the shit out of him. Cursing, Morgan looked down to see a long rock attached to his pants. Then the rock moved and his leg began to burn.

 

This thing has a TN of 6 and has an armor of 1. That means that you need to do two levels of damage to hurt it, as the armor reduces incoming damage by one level. Armor doesn’t affect complications, so Morgan can grab it or try to stun it if he wants. He’d need to roll an attack or try to use Education skills and a tool like Roach did when she electrocuted the redodile. And of course, see me in chat if you have any questions.

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

Jack, George, and Olivia headed out of camp. It took some effort to focus the dog; the assault of new smells had her more agitated than normal. Jack kept his eye on her, particularly when she balked at the water’s edge, growling. One thing they hadn’t been able to write out of the breed yet was their hatred of water. After a few sharp commands from George, she waded in uneasily.

 

The swift-rushing water nearly swept them off their feet; then they had to swim through the deepest part. Olivia growled and snarled the entire time she was submerged, but she moved strongly through the water and was the first across. She gave the river a final glare and shook herself vigorously. Since the water was pushing them downstream, she followed them on the shore, falling into step with Kalnan when he clambered out of the water.

 

The men took a moment to squeeze out the worst of the water before both Jack and Olivia started to track their errant citizen. It was easy enough to find where he’d left the water but once in the forest, tracking became harder.

 

Jack, please roll your Hunting Skill. TN is 9 as Jaime made no effort to hide his path.

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

 

Jaime sank onto a rock and took a moment. He still wasn’t sure why he’d run but a sick feeling was rising. He felt a little like he wanted to throw up. He put his face in his hands, and heard something scraping on the stone.

 

Looking up, he saw a massive creature in front of him. It looked like a bear had stolen a turtle shell, albeit one too small to hide in. It was stretching out full-length and he realized its body was a little more like a cat’s – it reminded him of pictures he’d seen of a saber-toothed tiger. Jaime felt a spike of terror and then the fear faded sharply. The dire turtle meant him no harm. He just knew it.

 

It moved forward, sniffing lightly at him. That was when he threw up, vomiting sharply on the ground at his feet. Hot, too hot. Something was wrong with him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ferro on the other hand, looked tired and sweaty, and had a long scratch down one cheek. “Great,” he said, his voice bright and eager despite the fatigue etched into his face. “We need you for the Tower.” Rochelle had expected that she’d be put on getting the TWR – the transwave reactor – up and running so she wasn’t surprised. “But for now, I need you to make sure that the ship’s Tower is going to hold. The computer says it’s okay but I don’t trust it so I need someone to do a manual diagnostic. You can handle that, right?”

 

Roach nodded immediately at that, feeling a sudden upswelling of happiness that someone other than her was actually concerned about that sort of thing. Seemed to her that most folks forgot about the ship the second their feet hit the dirt!

 

A lot of eager-beaver engineers would grumble about the grunt work of doublechecking diagnostics the computer had already done, but they hadn't done their reading about what a reactor leak could do to a population of people milling around at ground zero either.

 

"On it!" she piped. "Where's the radiation badges?" One of the other people there indicated a sort of makeshift storage depot that was accumulating as supplies were offloaded. Rochelle went there and fished through the boxes and containers until she found what she was looking for; a simple little plastic circle that would turn red and make a little buzzing noise if ambient radiation got to be too intense. Anyone working around a Tower had drilled on that noise, and what it meant.

 

What it meant was get your ass out now.

 

While she was at it, Rochelle checked to see if there was any other useful gear in there. After a second she added, "Anyone got a sidearm they can spare? Could be hostile creatures working their way in there by now."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack's rugged clothing was meant to wick away moisture and dry quickly, so the ducking in the river wasn't too much of a trial. It even felt refreshing, though it was faster flowing they he had expected. It was good to be on the ground again. Brushing back his wet hair with his fingers, he made sure George and Olivia were ready to go, then followed the boot prints up the bank, away from the river.

 

Tracking them into the woods, Jack noted the broke branches of brush, the shallower scuff of boot prints in the firmer dirt. Maybe the roots of the trees spread out instead of spreading deep, he mused. The undergrowth was spongy, resilient, didn't take prints well, but Jack carefully picked up the signs of their runaway's passage. Olivia tried to follow the scent, but kept getting distracted by all the new flora and fauna she wasn't accustomed to.

 

Jack followed the tracks to cliff, spots of wet of moist earth and a skid of disturbed gravel where it looked like someone had slipped suggested the runaway had made his down. Jack looked over at George. "Guess we're going down. Be careful - the local rock might be crumbly, making slipping more likely."

 

Hunting Roll
Asarasa *rolls* 4d6: 5+5+5+5: 20

TN was 9, so successful

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morgan steered the mobile tool to the edge of camp, conveniently avoiding the engineers and techs huddled around Ferro. Michael just shook his head at his brother as he drove off, grinning with a fond envy. “Fix your own,” Morgan told him and drove away from camp. The electric engine made a soft hum, operating off a massive battery that was charged by the Tower. He had more than enough power to do a joy ride and get some work done.

 

Driving around to the far side of the poor Melbourne allowed him to see the mountains and Morgan slowed the vehicle a little so he could enjoy the view longer. He’d seen vids of them before but it was different to see them with his bare eyes. The knowledge that no other sentient creature had been there before made him want to go and see it, to be first.

 

Something grabbed his ankle, scaring the shit out of him. Cursing, Morgan looked down to see a long rock attached to his pants. Then the rock moved and his leg began to burn.

 

This thing has a TN of 6 and has an armor of 1. That means that you need to do two levels of damage to hurt it, as the armor reduces incoming damage by one level. Armor doesn’t affect complications, so Morgan can grab it or try to stun it if he wants. He’d need to roll an attack or try to use Education skills and a tool like Roach did when she electrocuted the redodile. And of course, see me in chat if you have any questions.

 

Morgan's heart jumped in fear and he instinctively grabbed the thing and tossed it to the ground.  The shell was hard though he likened it to leeches he had read about as a kid.  "This is bad, Cass.  Something just bit me."

 

You should bring it back.  If it is venomous, having a sample could ensure your survival.

 

He reached back down and snatched it up with his cyber arm and threw it towards the passenger seat.  He did a full-body heebie jeebies shiver before getting behind the wheel and heading off as quickly as he dared to the other side of the ship.  

 

"Well, at least if I die, I did after we got here and I got to experience life as it was meant to be."  Morgan said as he maneuvered around larger rocks and piles of dirt from the crash.  He glanced over at the land leech and it begun to crawl off the seat.  He swiped at it and knocked it back into the seat.  Another shiver went down his spine.

 

"Now I know I don't like bugs.  Especially big ones."

 

He kept driving until he found medical personnel, knocking the creature back into the seat every time it looked as though it might escape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the other engineers in the room looked up from his box of junk. “The word is that Sarr wants security to accompany anyone if they go too deeply into the wreck. They’re supposed to be at our disposal for this kind of work. I say just go grab a thug of your very own.” At her look, he shrugged. “You should hear what they call us.”

 

It wasn’t hard to find someone with a gun but it was a little harder to find someone in a security uniform.  The man she found was a well-built Asian she vaguely remembered seeing shooting at the redodile. His nametag said Wu. He smiled at her as she approached. “Can I help you?” he asked, his tone inviting both business and personal requests.

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

Jack and George
I’m giving Jaime a little more time to post before he’s found. If you guys wanted to RP and chat while tracking, feel free.

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

The persistent actions of the creature didn’t falter as Morgan drove back to the medics. It seemed able to take a good deal of damage. He started to scoop it up with his cyber hand again only to have Cass exclaim, Ew! Don’t carry it with my housing!

 

“It’s my arm, and I’m the one who hates bugs!” he growled, scooping it up and looking for staff. His leg ached but was that from the wound, some poison, or was he imagining it?

 

Get a box or something! Also, remember I’m designed to mirror 84% of your likes and dislikes, and I thought that this was a safe dislike to share with you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jaime paused, and then succumbed to a new bout of vomiting, sweat beading on his head in a new layer. First the bite, now nausea, fevers and the need to hide. Shows what that medic knew! Stepping gingerly over the pile of unmentionables, the chef reached up to his neck. The shirt was button-up, and Jaime undid all of them with trembling fingers.

 

It wasn't enough - and though there was some reticence about stripping off his shirt (or perhaps everything else), the heat was eroding his objections. Cautiously, he reached out to the dire turtle. The big alien reptile sniffed a little more, but did not seem to object to Jaime's touch.

 

"Hey. You wouldn't happen to know what's happening to me, would you?"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

George nodded at Jack's advice and called Olivia to heel, "Yeah, we've done this before. Spent the last 5 years on border patrols in Alaska, and Canada. Nice and warm here compared with that. You want to lead the way?"

 

At least someone among the crew knows what they are doing planetside, I hate to think how the others are coping after a life on stations and moons, I thought to himself.

 

"How did you get your experience dirtside?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...