Game Proposal: Exalted - Sandboxing in the Second Age

Hyoseph

At the very least, massive superweapons aside, the Empress getting back would kick the Realm back into gear, which is ultimately bad for those of us not playing Dynasts.

I'm personally in support of Dave's suggested timeline.  It leaves the world just unstable enough for PC's to come in and establish themselves as the power players of the world.

As far as *what* can be played, I'm honestly of the mind that most things should be available.  Alchemicals (being robot people) are a bit iffy in my mind just because they are so far removed conceptually from the "epic high magic and fantasy" design of the rest of the game, but if folks can find a way to make them work, I'm not opposed.

Abyssals, Infernals, Fae - So long as these people understand that most people aren't going to be terribly accepting of their "Kill the world", "Corrupt the world", "Unravel the world" missions and are able to act accordingly, these are fine by me.  

(Court Intrigues of the Dead through the lens of an Abyssal Exalt or the Decadent Revelry of the Princes of Hell can be interesting, just don't expect everyone to be onboard and participating)

What's the timeline? Are we playing with the disappearance of the Scarlet Empress being a Thing? If so, has it happened yet? (Or has she already returned?)

I ask mostly because, in the massive Aberrant "game" we had going, major canon events could be affected by PC actions; one of the hottest topics, for example, was the possibility that the Night of Long Knives might never happen.

I'm a bit frustrated with this at the moment, so if that comes across in my post, I apologize in advance! The only thing you've addressed from the above quote, Hyo, was that you don't want the Empress coming back- which ignores the rest of what I asked/posted. We've also already talked about what Exalts can/should be played, and you gave the same input on that in previous posts in the thread; your only other comment on the issue of timelines (and, peripherally, whether or not major canon events such as the Empress's disappearance/reappearance could be affected by PCs as I described) was to support Dave's suggestion of the starting date.

If you've lost interest, or if you're too busy to really respond to people's requests for input from the group, or if you don't have anything new to add, that's fine, but please do let us know!

Oh, damn, I'm sorry.  I sent that out when I was actively switching between focuses so yeah, there was a lot left unsaid.  My bad!!!   :banghead:

So, to answer the questions as asked:

What's the timeline? Are we playing with the disappearance of the Scarlet Empress being a Thing? If so, has it happened yet? (Or has she already returned?)

This is entirely open to discussion but as mentioned, I'm generally not a fan of the Empress being around.  My main reason aside from the SoC and the Grid is that she and Chejop Kejack working in tandem had the Realm firing on all cylinders and things like the Wyld Hunt working at full efficiency.  Not terribly conducive to a game that's not Dynast focused.  Now if folks want to say that she's still around providing the "big bad" of the world and that the PC's aren't being endlessly hounded for other reasons, that's cool too :D

As for her Return, I'm of the mind that if she returns at all, it should be a BIG DEAL and at least my $0.02 say that it should WILDLY deviate from the "Return of the Scarlet Empress" line since the Reclamation needs to either not be a thing or it needs to otherwise be doomed to failure.  (See worldbreaking)

I ask mostly because, in the massive Aberrant "game" we had going, major canon events could be affected by PC actions; one of the hottest topics, for example, was the possibility that the Night of Long Knives might never happen.

Definitely.  I'm of the mindset that with the exception of events that the ST wants to have happen as a matter of plot direction, what is canonical ends as soon as the game starts.  If we get folks together who want to put together a solar circle of righteous strength and wage holy war on the Realm, it seems like it would be a hell of a story.  (Note that it would require some heavy oversight from whoever the "Oversight Board" ends up being since this is the definition of world-shifting, but if that's what folks want...)

My Char-Gen Thoughts:

Character Creation - By the book, with 2.5 Errata in effect

Limitations:

1 5 Point Manse Maximum at Creation

1 5 Point Artifact Maximum at all (except for Dragon-Blooded, which are permitted 2)

Command / Abyssal Command - Character must also have infrastructure to support (Resources / Backing for Command, Backing / Liege / Necromancy for Abyssal Command, etc.)

PC's with Liege / Patron / Infamy are required to detail the specifics of how they achieved such a position and what their patron / master / reputation requires of them in order to maintain the ratings.

Other thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived