Sign in to follow this  
SkyLion

Being a Gamer

The thing is...I love gaming almost as much as life itself.  Stories make me giddy.  I'll get choked up and start to cry during some movies/games/shows.  Not because I'm sad but because what I am seeing is just so conceptually awesome that I'm moved to tears.  Pen&Paper RPGs (can we even really call them that anymore?  With PbP my main format I can't really say "Tabletop" either.  So what then...Imagination Engines?  Like a computer engine, but for our minds, the game systems and settings provide the framework for a variety of virtual experiences) and video games especially, though certain shows (Game of Thrones, Fringe, The Last Airbender series, the recent Thundercats remake), and movies (V for Vendetta, The Prestige, Scott Pilgrim vs The World) will hit me like that.

I agree. Some things just speak to me. I love an good story. It's rare, but some games/movies/books do hit me as awesome in concept and play out. They may not be all well like movies/game/book but they hit me and I like them.

I find a good game to be inspiring, it's an observable response as I'll end up generating a mass of drawings or paintings from the material presented in the game.  I end up running more than i play, but that's probably because i also enjoy creating a world from scratch.  Between the various mediums you've listed (movies, books, video games,) I would still prefer a tabletop game.  Only in a tabletop game is the setting and plot ever entirely under the control of the players.  A videogame has set boundaries, even huge ones like the Elder Scrolls series, Final Fantasy, or WoW.  Movies are like short books that you don;t have to read, none of them really going past 3 hours.  Movies and books can both be extremely moving, but they're linear.  You are only a spectator in either case.