Two ideas for new games

Jordan

Okay so I am going to try running a game again. I realize I have a bumpy track record but it's slow here and I think I can handle it. So I have a couple of ideas for game and before I make an actual recruitment thread I figured I'd gauge people's interest in which of the two ideas they'd be interested in and even if they were actually interested in starting a game at the moment.

Game idea 1: A Pathfinder fantasy game. The basic idea for this game is that the characters have all been raised and trained from a young age by an organization dedicated to fighting great evils that plague the world, and it is assumed that the characters will at some point be called to fight one of these great evils. This organization is supported the cultures of the known world and due to ancient pacts the organization chooses promising children every few years. I don't have a specific game world created, but have ideas for a few areas and will grow the world with the players as we play. Because there is so much material for Pathfinder, there will be limits on what races (and potentially classes) are available.

Game idea 2: A Rotted Capes game. The idea for this game is a four color-styles supers game in which the world have been invaded by some sort of techno-organic virus. It infects regular people turning them into "drones" who perform strange and seemingly random tasks at the behest of some unknown directive. When infected people die the T-Org virus reanimates them as "Husks" or "Shamblers" that react violently to the living. To add to the horror, the heroes and villains of the world have proven to be just as vulnerable to the T-Org virus as regular people and the major players have been co-opted and turned into some sort of warrior caste that protects the Drones. This game steals a lot from classic Zombie games/srouces, but also comic books, movies like Invasion of the Body Snatchers and so on. The players are the lesser "B-Lister" heroes and villains of the world. Street level vigilantes, minor powers and sidekicks (or ex-sidekicks)

those are the two ideas I have in rough right now. Is there any interest in either?

Rotted Capes is the name of the actual system. It is based off of the same system as the game called Arcanis which was originally a D20 game world that developed it's own system after 3.5 was cancelled. it's fun fairly easy to learn and has concepts that players of D20 should recognize. Note it is NOT a level based system.

Heh, that is a pretty resounding win for Pathfinder over the system that no one else is familiar with. :)

So unless I get a resounding flood of people clamoring for Rotted Capes I'm going to work up a more detailed proposal for the Pathfinder concept.

I want to do the pathfinder game as well. Sounds interesting plus I can actually work on my elf tactician fighter character. Well in another system he would be called a warlord but the concept the same. Basically to command the battlefield by various commands. Yet I am still learning pathfinders system on how to do that. Especially with larger groups.

Questions I need answered before I can decide what to play..

Which races are allowed, just core, featured, uncommon, additional races, or what? What class or prestige class limitations? Starting Level? Point Buy or Rolled Attributes? If Point Buy how many points? If rolled, how?

Okay after a quick talk with Max the other night I've decided to use Paizo's published campaign of Golarion for this game. That will change the details of the concept a bit but I figured using the world will allow you guys to have a better grasp on it and remove the burden of having to figure out your character's culture along with your actual character.

You ask fair questions Krul. I have pretty strong feelings about races in the game. It always bugs me when I see a party filled with monstrous and traditionally evil races wander into the average town and no one bats an eye or the players just assume no one will have a problem (or should have a problem with it). For that reason I restrict races primarily to the core races. That said I do make allowances for other races provided they aren't normally monsters you fight, but you will have to check with me. I will Never allow Drow, just putting that out there. I can see myself allowing Aasimar, Tieflings, Sulis, maybe a Dhamphir depending on the player and how it's handled.

As an aside Both Half Giants and Elan exist although I am not sure in what cultural group. This does mean I am allowing Psionics from the Ultimate Psionics book but in a limited way.

For classes, all of the core classes are obviously available as are the officially published classes (Alchemist, Cavalier, Inquisitor, Magus, Oracle, Summoner, and Witch). The Psion, Psychic Warrior, Soulknife and Wilder are available as well with the caveat that only one character may have a Psionic class.

Please guys, communicate with each other when deciding on classes and such so that you have your bases covered. I really don't want to see a party of all casters and so on :)

Starting Level will be 1, and Attributes will be Point Buy but I haven't settled on how many points yet. I am still working on the details and re-familiarizing myself with the game. I hoped that was helpful for now.

Just so folks are aware: Presently thinking Cleric, Druid or Oracle, most likely an elf or aasimar with regards to race, though I might go in a different direction, as still a healer, like a Hedge Witch or Bard for arcane healer.. unless someone else wants to aim for the primary healer, then I might aim elsewhere.

-I am extremely enamored of the pathfinder customization kits for each class, but I note you did not list Gunslinger, Samurai, or Ninja.

-How much variation do you allow for the core races? Tieflings, Aasimar, and Dhampir come in different flavors as there are 3 different supplements dedicated to JUST those 3 races.

-Are you using the Advanced Races guide where it applies to the races you've listed?

-Since you're using Golarion, are we going to use the Character Traits system found in the APG?

,, ,,

For the rest of ye players; I specialize in playing arcane casters, so expect some kind of wizard out of me. With the racial guidelines thus far I'll probably be human (though this could change), and if we're in Golarion I'll probably be from Nex, the magical kingdom on the southern continent.

I somehow missed mentioning those 3 classes, but yes they are available although I will need to discuss options with players wh might choose Ninja or Samurai as a class.

As for the the 3 races. I have not had a chance to go through any of the racial books so I am working off the Advanced Race book.

I will be working with the Traits section but due to the way the game is starting I'll have to look at them to make sure they work for what I have in mind.

Just so you know, while you may have been born in Nex (or whatever nation you choose as a backdrop for your character) you weren't likely raised there for the majority of your life. As my original blurb hinted at, you were raised and trained by a secret organization, which basically means that the characters were all taken at young ages (as early as 5 or 6).

Also I'd like you guys to hold off on making characters until I have an actual proposal ready. This is mainly to stem off any dissapointment that might arise if you end up creating a character that doesn't work with the proposal.

Psion. Psion. All the Psions :)

I will be the first to tell people that I have a borderline unhealthy affinity for Dreamscarred Press and their Psionics System.

As an indicator, I have Psionics Unleashed, Psionics Expanded, and Ultimate Psionics in hardcopy.

Whichever way it ends up going, I would like to be the psionic character, whatever it ends up being.

Archived