Aberrant: Nova World - Chapter 1: Depths of Chaos

Justin OOC

"Very well," Rico conceded, though he could not fathom how a team could pull together without extensive training. Necessity the mother of invention, indeed.

"So that's the play then. Warp in to a Japanese ship, then sail into the unknown and certain danger by the seat of our pants? What's our protocol? I agree we should get going, but going in blind is only going to get somebody killed. Most of us have never trained or worked together, and our roles are unclear at best. At the very least we need to have a chain of command. Who is going to lead the mission?"

Ricardo was no genius, but he understood training and protocol, and how you needed both to have a chance in a fight. He felt foolish for speaking up in the presence of so many seasoned and intellectual nova luminaries, but underneath he was scared of stepping through that portal. There was perhaps for the first time a real and palpable sense of transformation; by stepping through that portal he was stepping into a new life, and deep down he knew there would be no coming back. The was no greater fear, than the fear of the unknown.

Rico's words started to bother her. "Rico... Our purpose is to go in there blind. That's what we were signed on to in this company for. It's what we've been training to do. To respond to the unknown as best we can. The difference between Japan's response and ours though?" She smiled. "There was only three of them. That and we should have the necessary talent divided among all of us to actually manage something constructive and a rescue. The thing is, though we have to get there and figure it out and yes, we'll be at the seat of our pants."

She turned to Holly. "Holly... we should not separate once we are at the site, boat or not. The operating protocol should be no one goes into a zone without someone with them. To be honest the Zone is coming to us... let's greet it."

"So... what's the kit we're taking with us?" She asked Dr. Aziz.

"But..." Rico responded to Sakurako, "we haven't been training, at least I haven't. From the look and sound of it, neither have the rest of us. I'm not saying we shouldn't go in...I know this is what I signed on for, but...that doesn't mean we should be cocky about it. We need to recognize that our lack of training as a team might well be a liability once we get out there and the inevitable chaos of a Zone starts wreaking havoc. "

Inclining his head thoughtfully, Delacosta spoke up; "It is true, our dearth of actual field training could be a liability, presuming that this situation involves a need for military-style exercise. However, I believe that is why most of our number is being called in for this particular mission. We can make up for our tactical shortcomings through our additional numbers. There is something to be said about the advantage of overwhelming force after all..."

He paused for a moment, as another thought struck him, and then continued, "If 3 of Japan's nova personnel, whom I assume are associated with the JSDF, have already vanished in the midst of this new zone, then the additional resources of Novastorm must be necessary for further intelligence. As far as I knew, our organization has a greater edge in the field of quantum anomaly research. What, if anything, do we know about these three missing novas?"

• 2 weeks later...

"We have no data from the Satellite feeds, aside from ambient quantum levels. They're so high that we cannot get any readings beyond them."

He looked to Dr. Delacosta. "It will reach Japan in another six hours at it's current speed, at least the outer edges. The Core will reach another three after that. The Japanese are already beginning a large scale evacuation effort, putting up every plane they can. Our 2nd Pacific Naval fleet, which was staging wargames north of Japan in response to russian posturing has diverted south, to assist with the evacuation. We will have a ship provided to us, though it will not be particularly large, as we must be able to crew it."

Aziz turned to Ricardo. "I will have overall lead of this response team, as responsibility for success or failure rests upon my shoulders. We will have Four teams. Sonja, Serena, I want the two of you helping to keep the people calm In Japan proper. You're well-known, and your gifts will be of aid in reducing the general panic that's already likely to occur. Kaitlyn, Nathan, and myself will set up on this tiny atoll in the path of the zone, roughly 2 hours from Japan. We'll analyze the data being sent from the rest of you on the boat. Sakurako, I'm putting you as Captain of the Boat, with Max as your 2nd, since you both know the most about water. Seraph and Beth you two are on overwatch. I want you to keep the weather clear, Beth over Tokyo's primary Airport, Seraph on the ship. We may be seeing quantum storms as well, I know effectiveness is not so constant with them, but I need you to try."

"Everyone else will be aboard the ship, to serve in whatever capacity is needed. If it turns out the fleet is still intact, you are to board the carrier and ascertain it's condition. Yes we're flying blind here, but we have little choice with the immensity of this situation."

He looked to Sakurako. "Regarding the gear, two of the crates are prototype quantum dampeners. They actively suppress all quantum sources within a kilometer. They require significant amounts of quantum to fuel, and as such do not last very long. The most advanced scanning gear and a portable laboratory make up the rest of the scientific gear, as well as next generation armaments and light armor for those who need them, should their be new quantum lifeforms resulting from this."

He looked to Nathan. "Tatsumaki, the field leader, was a nova with Wind themed powers, former JSDF pilot, no known history of crime, or personality aberrations. "Jewel" Dr. Tamashi Nori, a quantum theorist, known for her ability to turn into a crystaline form with the strength of steel. The Third nova was Shizuka "Umi" Noda, former Champion swimmer, and search and rescue operative. Her specialty was water operations."

Sakurako took off her labcoat and draped it over her chair after standing up. "Well then, we have ourselves a plan, a ship, and whatever we'll need on this endeavor." She said. "As we'll be sailing into the anomaly, it would be safe to say we should be prepared to take a swim if things go wrong." Scratching her head, trying not to slip up with her less than stellar personality she continued. "Mr. Kane, it would be a honor to have you as my second. Also, I do have one request before everyone that'll be on the ship start taking positions..."

She turned to Holly. "I might need your ice powers for this. In particular in terms of temporarily patching holes in hulls, or to make ice rafts for any survivors in the water if they need to get out of the water. Particularly before we can get them onto our boat... or for towing if we don't have room."

She sighed. "Never thought I'd be Captaining a boat though... Max... I'm really gonna need all the help I can get coordinating."

Sakurako started to wonder just what sort of boat they were going to get. She was hoping it would be a large trawler-sized boat... something like a crabbing boat that would operate out of the Bering Sea... or large enough to handle the type of waves they could be encountering, at least within the measure of logic.

Nathaniel made a note of the JSDF novas as they were listed as a thoughtful expression crossed his face. He then gathered his things in preparation for the imminent transfer to his team's position.

"We can probably assume that the JSDF nova support team has tried to redirect this event as part of their own initiatives, but I would guess that any data on their attempts is unavailable at present. If it's possible for Japan to furnish us any of their last correspondences when we get on site that may help. If they were in communication as we usually are during missions, they may have been discussing what was or more importantly wasn't working." With that he packed up his notes and the papers from his current project, and stood next to his team ready to go.

"That will be pretty important. Good point to bring up, Doctor Delacosta." She said, sending a text to one of the lab assistants to send down a bag she keeps in the lab upstairs. Pretty much in it is a load bearing vest with her "ammo" and various things for field work.

"How much of that information do you think we can get right now, or at least before we engage the anomaly, Doctor Aziz?"

She strokes her chin, trying to keep herself from ruminating too much on unknown variables. That... and what to wear...

Ricardo could feel the jitters as the assignment was announced. Similar to the many times he had stepped into the cage, but on a whole other level of magnitude. When he stepped up for a fight, he knew who he'd be facing, studied their matches, how they moved. Trained for every scenario. But this. There was no training for this scenario. His gaze flitted over his new comrades, resting for a moment upon each one. That too was different. He'd always gone it alone. He didn't feel macho about it, it was just the nature of the sport. Being on a team was a new, different experience. That feeling in his stomach wasn't jitters...it was vertigo, the heady reeling as he stood at the precipice, preparing to take a leap of faith. He would put his trust in them.

As the orders were given, he said nothing, but nodded solemnly, stood, and prepared to follow the others to the staging area.

Aziz nodded. "I will have those comms acquired before we leave. It will take some time to get onsite, you can listen to them enroute to the site."

He looked at her. I'd dress comfortably, you may be wearing your gear for some time. Now if there's nothing else, we will reconvene in Warehouse room 1, where our gear is being prepared. You all have thirty minutes to prepare as you would, and be there." He shut down the projector and quickly left for his own preparations.

(Alright, 1 post from everyone or 1 week, which ever happens first, barring any foul-ups RL, and we get this going back like before it's not for interaction, but how your PC prepares to go into the Dangerous unknown.)

As the meeting adjourned Dr. Delacosta hurried back to his office and packed away all his notes. Then going to his closet he pulled out a sturdy backpack he usually took on surveying trips containing his geological sampling equipment, his tablet, and some portable scanning devices. Among which was a Geiger counter, which he usually used to check for radioactivity but also could be calibrated to pick up ambient quantum fields of sufficient strength. Since this was a rescue mission as well as a scientific survey he changed into jeans, workboots, and a simple shirt. No sense ruining a perfectly good lab coat with what would most assuredly be heavy physical work...

"On with the exploration!" he muttered under his breath as he quickly stalked through the halls to the warehouse with a look of maniacal anticipation spreading across his face.

Thirty minutes before facing the unknown... That was all the time she needed. She couldn't prepare for the unknown variables that would greet them, particularly as they would be heading into the anomaly themselves. She knew she'd need something different than what she was thinking.

She shot off a quick text to her lab.

“Nix the first request, grab The Orange Bag.”

She was going to prepare for what she could predict. The Orange Bag was what was her “Plan A”.

The conditions within the anomaly could be quite unfavorable for typical nautical operation. No one had bothered to ask what the weather conditions were around said anomaly, so she was going to prepare for the worst. Inside the anomaly was a different story. It could be deadly calm, or massive waves. Anything was possible. That and the potential for wild temperature swings was possible. Water that could be in the mid-seventies could be ice-cold inside the zone of influence.

Then there was what could be encountered within the anomaly. Something the people on the ships found out first hand before disappearing.

By the time she had dashed outside she received a text.

“Got the bag... where are ya?”

“Front lawn.”

One last text with a sound warning popped up on her smart-phone. “Incoming!”

Sakurako looked up and saw her large international orange duffle bag heaved out of a window, a white and red miniature parachute opening a couple of seconds into it's drop. Sakurako catches it moments later. Even for her shape, the bag was a bit of a effort. At least to keep from dropping it. She detached the chute and slung it over her shoulder. It could double as a arm-sling or a bag if needed now.

She hustled as best she could to the warehouse. She knew as one of the more technically minded Novas on the roster, she would be needed for any final check-up on the equipment they would be using, so she needed to be there, but at the moment she knew she would have probably 5 minutes to gear herself up. Then again she practiced gearing up with this particular kit and got it down to four minutes. She couldn't depend on doing it in an emergency, but at least she could deploy to a situation like this quickly.

First she sat her bag down and opened it. The international orange with white reflective tape bag itself was waterproofed, she designed it personally for the Nautical Supply Design department for Yachters and Whitewater enthusiasts who like to take their "ditch bags" with them, so Sakurako engineered it to the clientele. Sakurako's name was stenciled on it in black, in English and Japanese. Something she had lately gotten into a habit of doing. It even had a long red stem she could blow into to make the bag buoyant. Useful if she had to swim somewhere with her gear.

But what was inside was what she called her “sailing kit”. She didn't let on this was actually her response gear for aquatic operations. The tactical vest she had was one set up for work on a boat. A bright red color with sealable waterproofed pockets, most filled with cubes of red paper stored in them.

It also had a flashlight with swappable red or clear filters, a magnesium striker, a signaling mirror, a couple clear plastic sheets with a couple flexible plastic ties, a small white plastic trash bag filled with more paper cubes and index cards, a “spare air” tank just large enough to store two minutes of breathable air, and a life preserver she designed with a mechanically switchable manual or auto trigger system.

On the back of the vest near the small of the back was a life raft stored in a pouch connected to the back of the vest like a backpack. She could detach it from snap-connectors in the front to heave it to someone who was overboard... or use it herself if need-be. When it inflates from contact with the water it forms a platform a four people could sit on, or use like a life raft. And a few others could hold on to the straps around it. She planned on handing that off to whoever on the team was working on deck if they did have to do some rescues. Holly was a top candidate for that duty.

There was a large first aid kit, one that could be strapped to her leg, and three long metal tubes she could screw together to make her melee weapon of choice, a quarterstaff. There was also another red stem packed with her gear, with what looked like on one end a semi-complex set of two gaskets with a gap in the middle. Finally in a holster was a M1911 pistol with a couple spare magazines, with rounds optimized to work even after submersion. Another magazine was marked “FLARE ROUNDS” on the bottom.

As she set out her gear around her bag she closed her eyes for a moment to focus on her suit. Taking the stem she placed the gasket near her left breast with the open portion of the stem facing towards her face. The suit seemed to snap to, changing it's form into a white, semi-baggy full-bodysuit with a blue sailor collar attached.

It had many cargo-style pockets, and the feet looked like deck shoes built into the bodysuit. Sakurako went with the concept of a drysuit, keeping the neck and wrist sleeves tight to the body. The stem she pulled out of the bag now was firmly seated in a “hole” on the suit where the gaskets were, and Sakurako made a couple twists on a metal ring on the stem, closing the gaskets together making a airtight seal with the suit. She started to put on her vest, grabbing the sailor collar of her suit as she put her vest on and set it up so it rested over her vest, and the collar's one large white stripe took on a reflective quality, like reflective tape.

Then she assembled her staff, didn't take as much mental effort to put the now taller than she was quarterstaff together. It was her melee weapon of choice. She strapped her holstered pistol to her right leg, and her first aid kit to the left, stuffing everything else into the pockets on her suit or those remaining on her vest. She slung her now closed bag over her shoulder, it was empty save for the trash bag full of spare paper and the miniature parachute.

As she waited for the first person to come over to ask for her assistance, she puffed a couple times on the red stem she attached to her suit then crouched once or twice to make sure the valve gaskets were tight and not leaking. If they ended up in cold water if such a thing was happening in the anomaly, she was sure as heck not going to contract hypothermia easily. Seeing that was successful, she let the suit's material loosen a little, letting the suit breathe by having it form pores in various locations. If things got tense all she had to do was close the pores of the suit at the speed of thought. But now... she wasn't wearing a fully closed bag.

She slid a identification badge into a waterproofed sleeve on the front of her vest, and with a Velcro patch on the other side she attached a placard with her name on it, written in English and Japanese. Then she checked the battery on her LED flashlight... one of those types that had a L-shape to it. Everything looked in tip-top shape with it so she put it back into it's proper spot on her vest.

Stretching out a couple of times, she pulled out the last bit of gear she had in one last pocket on her vest, a pair of waterproofed gloves, white in color, with a red cord near the wrist. She put them on and pulled the wrists tight with the cords and tied each one with a loose knot that could be undone if need-be quickly. Perfect for first aid work, or just keeping the hands clean.

With a smile she stood over where the technicians started to gather.

“So... need me for anything as we get set up?” She said, hands clasped behind her. She turned off the stop-watch on her watch... all that took 3 minutes, 50 seconds... a new personal record. For someone about to potentially sail to her doom, the pink-haired pint-sized sailor-suited super-genius seemed rather upbeat. Or perhaps she was trying to keep busy, to keep her mind from ruminating on what could be there on the other side of that anomaly's border.

If anyone of the three teams arrived that needed assistance with their equipment, Sakurako also stood ready to offer aid. It wasn't like she wasn't hard to spot... Then she noticed a small crate of MREs and started loading a few into her duffle bag... just in case. She wouldn't take them all... after all she'll point out the rest of the team should take some in case they're going to be away from civilization for more than a day or so. Hopefully not longer than that...

Note for everyone
As this won't be a socializing scene, I am authorizing everyone else if they wished to use Sakurako in their post. I'm volunteering her to assist in getting anything set up for people, as necessary. I don't mind being asked what she would say or do. Either via PM or in Chat.

Kait returned to her labs and gathered up the practical gear that lived there and spoke with her teams briefly about how things would go while she was gone. They'd all been prepared for her eventual forays into the field, so the briefing went quickly and smoothly. She left messages for her mother and husband about where she was headed, and then her thirty minutes were up.

She rejoined the rest of the group in Warehouse Room 1, a little jittery from nerves and ready to get going.

Once Everyone was geared up as they wished, and prepared, Transit walked into the Room. The first Warp she opened sent the crates of gear through on their special trailer, The second Warpgate she held open. "Alright Everyone through the gate, This is abit more dignified." In truth she could have simply done it with one, but with the condition of some, She herself wouldn't have done so save in most dire need.

The assembled Novas found themselves on an Island dockyard, near a large cannery, that looked quite abandoned. The Sign on it read "Oshima Seafood" in Kanji. Several dozen JSDF and Department of Scoence personell turned from the crated equipment to the arriving Novas, and Aziz began moving to engage them. A brief and somewhat spirited conversation later, and a truck was brought to bring the gear to the Yacht that would serve the exploratory party. It was actually far different than the scow that was expected, this was a luxury yacht, belonging to some high level buisnessman, who graciously offered it.

Aziz, in his flair for camaraderie made sure it was known he'd repair any damages to the Yacht, so that such a patriot wouldn't be put out. The Yacht had many accoutrements, including state of the art standard detection gear, and plenty of space. "Alright I want you all setup in the Yacht and underway as soon as possible. You have Your Captain and Team leaders, and my complete faith. I will be updating you Real-time as any further information becomes available, and q-sat coms are being placed at our disposal."

He turned to the groups that would head to the mainland, and Transit herself. "Alright You are our very public faces on this, Keep the Peace, the JSDF has officially deputized each of you to respond to any emergency you are able, and extended privelage to you all. We are diplomats of a sort here, but recognized to use our abilities for the greater good. I want the airport running smoothly, and the people as calm as we can get them. Tokyo itself, the entire metro area, is being evacuated but there are so many people."

He turned to Transit. "I need you to help Evacuate whoever you can." "IT costs, doing this much. Yes, and you know I will pay."

The Young woman nodded once. "Have the DoT coordinate with me, Get as many Busses, and high capacity vehicles no more than 8 meters across together and get the people onto them. Prep as many sites as you can, I can move more that way." Aziz nodded and went back to the JSDF people, one of whom wore a General's stars. He returned with the General, "Pleas Ma'am follow me, I will get you set up." She walked with him, and this left Aziz and the DoS people, as well as Kaitlyn and Nathan. "Alright these three crates are ours, they've got the latest in Portable tech we have for Quantum study, as well as A Qfield Canceller."

He looked at them. "It's not tested and we need to get set up and do so, quickly."

writing this while so heavily medicated, but if I cannot maintain my own rate, then there's no hope. So I will answer what questions I can. You are now being split into three groups, acting somewhat autonomously. Feel free to post and get the show on the road. it sohuldn't take long to get the yacht enroute and gear set up. I will be using Aziz and Transit to prod the Mainland and Oshima groups as needed. It is about 2 hours by boat to the zone (The boat is actually about twice as fast as the zone is moving...Yay speed yachts (and of course a water manipulator and weather manipulator for smooth seas.)

As the rest of the force was dispersed to their respective posts, Nathan set about unpacking all the delicate quantum detection equipment and getting it set up to processs all the information. With the Q-field repression device untested, he made a special effort in unpacking it carefully. It would not do at all to have the 11th hour weapon damaged in setup. The presence of other science personnel made the job go faster as he could delegate some of the tasks to qualified individuals. In order to ensure the safety of the 'mission control' they were setting up, Nathan directed his power at the shoreline, eliciting a slight rumble as a stone bulwark against oncoming storms rose in a semicircle around the mission camp. The bulwark would protect against any normal storm and lessen the damage from large waves but Nathan had no idea how much protection it would offer against a quantum anomaly. He mainly hoped it would keep the baseline science techs from panicking when things got out of hand. WHEN, not if. After all Nathan was never accused of being optimistic.

As the lab technicians were finishing with setup, Nathan addressed the lead technician; "I can only assume that you've been monitoring the anomaly the entire time, would there be any meteorological data on the target? If it moves against all prevailing winds and atmospheric conditions, we may be looking at something that's being directed."

Sakurako put on her q-com and a special pair of glasses with a small camera she sent for... after all if they were going in a video feed would be good. "Okay, I want the ship ready to be under way in 5 minutes. Holly, you're on deck, your job is to look for anyone in the water as we approach and get them back on board, if we encounter the ships you might be working on temporary patches, so be ready for that."

"Ricardo, I want you heading up security... namely if any hostile boarders show up on the ship while we are in the zone. You're going to lead the counter-boarding... and if we have to board any of the JMSDF ships we will have to have some protection."

She turned to everyone else assigned to the ship. "As for everyone else, you know what you're capable of, we'll need all the hands we can get... I want everyone to familiarize yourself with the locations of all safety equipment on the yacht, and be ready for anything... because anything will happen in the anomaly."

She adjusted her collar. "Let's get a move on, we got a date to make... Max... time to introduce ourselves to the Bridge."

She walks unto the yacht, intending to head straight for the bridge. She turned to Max. "Max... if we have to organize a team to go on to anything that is generating the zone, or to boat up to it... I want you heading that team. I'm the captain and I should stick with the main ship and make sure it's here for you guys when you return."

OOC question
Is there a small zodiac tender on board the yacht? We might need it.

He couldn't help but whistle when he saw their sweet ride. It was like something out of an American rap video, and he could picture it full of the requisite ballers and honeys flaunting their rocks, and sippin' their their "juice." Another heady reminder of the status that came with being an incarnate demigod...or it would have been had they not been about to sail it into potentially certain doom.

Ricardo gave a salute to his new Captain after she'd finished doling out their roles. Mostly he tried to stay out of everyone's way as they saw to a plethora of technical equipment far beyond his grasp.

Archived