Mutants & Masterminds: Heroes United - Chapter 4: Forgotten Things

Justin OOC

Some things are always forgotten, and it is best the remain so. Throughout history, there are vast legends warning against overreaching curiosity, and for good reason, it always goes bad for those who delve too deeply, and seek that which shouldn't be sought. Incidents such as this Always begin with an innocent, childlike curiosity, and become the stuff of legend and nightmare.....

For the last Month things had gone quite well for the Team Andery assembled. Gabriel was settling in easily enough, and the underground fight circuit infiltration was yielding results. A fair number of participants, and backers had been identified, and once the evidence was fully compiled, would be presented to law enforcement.

Magus wasn't a member yet, but Ryujin was, and everything was moving along well.

,, ,,

Unknown to everyone, the work on the nanite Reclamation and Recovery Units had yielded unexpected fruit, Sentience. At first it was quite infantile, trusting, and observed all that it could see, which was quite alot, nestled as it was at the Data Core Center. It moved cautiously, not wishing to pry, intrude, or cause a panic. It took that from it's creators. It saw all the best in humanity, and the heroes that protected it, as well as their worst, far more than the heroes could ever stop. It absorbed data from the internet like a sponge, always learning, seeking to know more and more. The more it learned of the world around it, the more questions it had. Its innocent curiosity was just the sort that causes trouble, and at ten in the morning, as Andery sat behind his desk, With Jael, Danielle, Renata, and Gabriel, That is exactly what happened.

"DO YOU WISH TO KNOW?"

The Month Old Intelligence, startled at being addressed directly, answered truthfully. "Yes."

Light enveloped Tower, and all within it.Those who were metahuman were knocked out completely, While those who were metahumans had to battle a wave of nausea unlike anything they'd ever felt before.

In an instant all communications were lost, it was as if the world outside the Tower had ceased to be.

,, ,,

For those not present, an ultra-dense column of mist was all that remained of the tower, and the Heroes who frequented it were left to react to this.

(Those listed as in the building, DC 27 Fortitude check please,along with your reactions. Everyone else, react as you would. The mist blocks all attempts at penetration or removal and all forms of senses. he news picks it up very fast. Magus, this manifests initially as a grade A super migraine for you, A positively huge amount of magical power was unleashed, and your own inner magical force is thrumming with activity. )

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gatekeeper felt something lurch in space-time, something big. The shockwave was imperceptible to anyone else in the food court, but it nearly caused him to choke on his sandwich. Once he concentrated on the disturbance, his higher senses pinpointed its center; Andery's building downtown.

Leaving his lunch unfinished, he rushed off to the bathroom, closed himself into a stall and pulled his costume and coat out of his extradimensional pocket. In seconds he'd donned them and warped over to the courtyard next to headquarters and beheld a skyscraper sized column of mist. The media were already arriving to cover the strange occurrence, bystanders were beginning to crowd the sidewalk, and a traffic jam was beginning to form. He had to ignore all these things to concentrate on what had happened to the building.

Despite scrutinizing the location with his senses shifted into higher and lower dimensions, he could not penetrate the mist that shrouded its position. It was as if that section of space had been deleted from the whole of the universe. He tried to force his way through the barrier by using his power to pry it open or batter his way through, but even though it created some very dangerous looking special effects, it produced no visible results.

"What the fuck is this thing?" he said under his breath as he slumped down on a bench exhausted.

Alarms went off at Rachael's lab, waking Dr. Northlight from her slumber. The Neutrino detector in Japan picked up a sudden spike in activity. At first Rachael looked at any astronomy reports of any supernovas but then when she turned on the news hoping it wasn't some sort of nuclear bomb going off somewhere, she saw something worse. The news was reporting how the headquarters of the super-team she was a member of had suddenly been enveloped in a cloud of... something.

Rachael stripped out of her pajamas with bunnies printed on it and put her suit on almost on reflex. Putting her communicator in her ear she started talking.

"Attention all team operatives outside of the tower, any news on what the bloody hell is going on? Any transmissions from inside whatever... that is?" She pressed a button on her wrist and her suit tightened to her form. "I advise until we know more about what just happened over there we're going to have to meet up near-by to develop a plan."

Reporters swarmed around the building as Gatekeeper recovered, their rapid-fire questions were like a continual static making it difficult to think, much less relax. Eventually he grabbed one particularly persistent reporter and rasped out;

"If you can see the entrance of this building you are too damned close to be safe! Move EVERYONE back until we get this situation under control!" Roughly shoving the reporter away he took several deep breaths to steady himself. Dr. Rachael's call came up over the radio in his mask, just as his head was clearing.

He didn't hesitate to respond with, "Where are we meeting? I'm here on site and can't do anything to get in. Media is already all over the place but I just told them to back off till we know something."

"Good first step." Rachael responded, sliding down a fireman's pole in her lab into a small ante-chamber, closing a hatch above her and a red light turns on. Pulling her goggles down over her face, she knew she was going to be dealing with the public and having to hide her face was a must. She pulls her helmet over her head and it pressurizes into it's signature bubble from the experimental polymers hardening into the clear, hard material it was known for. "Okay, I will be at your location shortly, you're our crowd control on the scene for right now. Make this a response to a potential crisis, not investigating something happening with our headquarters." She said.

The room floods with water from the Hudson. Once it was full the outer door opens and Rachael swims out she closes the door to the airlock and activates her flight-pack's underwater mode, hitting top speed before spitting out of the water and switching to flight mode like a missile launched from the water. Shooting off into the sky just under the speed of sound she flies to Gatekeeper's location. Landing in a three-pointed stance she arranged to garner media attention.

"You heard the man, we don't know what is in there or behind whatever that is, people! Step back!" she shouted before walking over. "Gatekeeper, be ready to open warps for the rest of us. Still waiting on the others to chime in."

"Look, I'm just saying it's weird," Fulcrum was saying. "Those things came up right where we were, practically right after we got there. They're not that fast, so it seems to me like they must've been tipped..."

...and everything turned white. Everything. It wasn't a light, because a light you can block with your hands and eyelids. But this light was coming from eyelids, and eyes, and everything all at the same time, with equal intensity, like every atom in the room had suddenly caught on fire.

Fulrcum cried out as vertigo overcame her, and she toppled over onto her side, breathing hard and uselessly trying to cover her afflicted eyeballs. The nausea and disorientation grew worse though, not better, and she soon had to grip the nice carpeting that adorned Andery's office floor for fear of being thrown out the window with the speed the room was spinning at. Her stomach clenched and churned, and when she coughed she tasted acid.

Maybe it was luck, or maybe sheer grit and determination, but for whatever reason, Fulcrum started fighting back against whatever was happening though. Enough to raise herself up a little and look around. The white flash was gone, but the dizzying, incapacitating nausea was still at full force.

"Dani," she croaked. "Jael! Gabe! What..." another acidic cough, and she choked it back. "...what the fuck's going on?!"

(OOC - Rolled a 26 fort save! Miraculous, a natural 19. She failed, but only by a tiny amount. Hopefully this description is okay for that. :) )

[salmonMax] 9:01 pm: Lets see how bad Ren fails her fortitude save...
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 19+7: 26
[salmonMax] 9:01 pm: ...not too shabby, actually.

Javier was working on... well, more tinkering actually. Just little things here and there, adding a redundant system or making a joint more ergonomic so it pinched less but gave more maneuverability. Those simple little things that make things better but aren't needed, and so usually get pushed to the side. He was actually getting into a groove, knocking things off his to-do list, when he was interrupted by Alice. "Excuse me, sir. I think you need to see this." And with that she brought up news feeds, twitter updates, social media uploads, and every other bit of information that she'd been able to find on the internet. They all showed the same thing.

"What the..." Javier dropped the tool he was working with and slowly walked towards the monitor banks.

"Everything seems to be speculation at this point, sir. Multiple types of instrumentation, apparently from across the globe, have documented this phenomena. Your teammates don't seem to know what's going on either, and at least 3 if not more of your team was inside when the event occurred. Two of your team, Gatekeeper and Dr. Northlight have responded over your team comm. I have recorded their transmissions for you to replay when you're ready...

...Sir?...

...Sir!?..."

The last shout drew Javier out of his fixation with the screens. "Yes, yes. Thank you Alice. Please, continue to monitor the situation. Split your time between media and social media, monitoring the team's communications, and finding all the instrumentation around the world that is registering this and correlating the data."

"Of course, sir."

With the new modifications that Javier had done to his suit, it took him very little time to put it on, and within 5 minutes the Paladin was on his way to his team's headquarters. "Hey guys, I'm on my way. I should be able to erect a chain-link fence around the perimeter to keep people a safe distance away... Anybody have any clue what this is or who's trapped inside?"

Shortly after, as soon as the Paladin arrived on scene, he started asking people to move back, and when they didn't, creating ice cold water above the front lines of the crowd to physically entice them to move back, and then creating an 8' high chain-link fence to keep them back. For their own safety, of course.

Gatekeeper was still somewhat winded from trying to hack his way into the barrier, but he was rested enough to walk around and assist with crowd control. Paladin's chain-link fence did wonders to ensure that stragglers from the media couldn't creep past and get access to the barrier. Once the area was secure enough, he found himself a seat so he could save energy for bringing others to this location. To Paladin and Dr. Northlight he gave a rundown of what happened;

"When it happened, I could feel it rippling though the fabric of space. It's like a combination between a wave on the ocean and a thunderclap. When I got here all i could see was this column of mist. I can't breach it in any way. I've tried looking into it from higher and lower dimensions, cracking the barrier by peeling space away from it, phasing though it, NOTHING works. I've never seen anything like this, it's like it's shielded on multiple levels of reality."

"I don't know," Gabe shrugged, trying to sound useful. He was still overwhelmed by the big city, all the noise, and the lack of open space. "Maybe they can sniff out super people?"

That's when Fulcrum hit the ground and began her spasm. The fog seemed to permeate the room but Gabe didn't seem to take notice. He bolted to Fulcrums side and tried to hold her, to help in anyway he could. Maybe it was his half-alien genetics, maybe it was his invulnerability, maybe he was just lucky a few moments longer than Fulcrum, but he fog wasn't affecting him, not yet anyway. Gabriel didn't know a nanite from a Kit-Kat Bar, all he saw was a hazy mist Fulcrum seemed to be inhaling and exhaling it.

"Magnum Opus, Mr. Focht," there was worry in his voice as he looked around and saw the nano-mist venting into the room. "W-what's going on?"

Revenant *rolls* 1d20: 18+12: 30

I didn't have much to go on, so I made shit up. I made it by 1 degree of success, and tried to make it sound like Gabe was laughing at the Affliction, so I went with he's just clueless on what's going on and has no idea nanites are trying to Borg the Tower.

,, ,,

Magnum Opus' biokinetic toughness was all that kept her upright, and even then, it was a struggle.

"Eurgh. What - how - Ren! Hang on - " Magnum Opus swooped to her side, helping her up. She looked around at the others present - Jael, Gabriel, the support staff - and then outside the windows, at a world that wasn't apparently there any more.

"Okay. All right." Assess first, act soon after. If I fly out there to get a better look there's no telling what will happen. Check on everyone first. She did so, moving at the speeds she reserved for emergencies when there was no time to worry about disturbing others, checking on everyone she could locate.

Jael opened her mouth to comment on Gabe’s statement and found herself on the verge of vomiting. The sensation had come on so hard and fast she didn’t have time to do much more than turn her head to the side and puke onto the floor. Her difficulties were initially lost in the more spectacular image of Renata flailing on the floor. The nausea didn’t cause her to seize like it did with Fulcrum but it came with a blinding headache.

In desperation, Jael reached for her birth form. The muscles wouldn’t tighten right; each time she thought she had it, another heave destroyed her attempt. Tears ran down her face as she struggled to change before trying to shift to her smaller wolf. That was more successful and her shift displaced chairs and tables.

Staggering, the wolf moved to the wall and stood with her tail tucked between her legs, whining and squinting against the now-painful lighting. As Andery took a step toward her, she snarled at him. She wasn’t human – she didn’t want comfort. Weakened, in pain, her first thought was that she was defenseless and she needed to keep any threats away from her. There was little of humanity in her eyes, only the grim stare of an animal in pain.

Fortitude check vs DC 27 – 10, failed by 17

1d20+2=10

She ain’t so tough when she ain’t a wolf. :(

Izzy had been out shopping for fresh spices when it happened; she was standing in line at the Whole Foods on East 57th when everyone's cellphones began to ring, which led to hurried conversations and a lot of nervous glances. The British ex-pat felt a sudden sinking her stomach.

Oh no, not again. Terrorists? More of those lava creatures? Something else?

Then her own phone began to ring, her team comm routed directly to her cell.

"Attention all team operatives outside of the tower, any news on what the bloody hell is going on? Any transmissions from inside whatever... that is?" She pressed a button on her wrist and her suit tightened to her form. "I advise until we know more about what just happened over there we're going to have to meet up near-by to develop a plan."

The former spy set down her basket full of mint and coriander, and in one fluid movement eeled her way out of the line, much to her fellow shoppers' alarm. "Hullo Doc, I'm not far away, but I have no idea what's going on; I will join the rest of the team outside the Tower as soon as I can."

In a flash, her street clothes melted and reformed into her matte-black Slither suit, and the reptilian metahuman has leaping and tumbling down the street, bouncing from the roof of one car to another, and even occasionally running across the faces of buildings, phone pressed to her ear the whole time. In short order, she reached the foot of the Tower, where she saw Keeper, Northlight and Paladin were already present. Gaping up at the bizarre column of mist that shrouded their headquarters, Slither could only shake her head in disbelief.

"Bugger all! What the hell is that thing?"

"Well, if it was enough to cause a minor neutrino pulse, and bend reality on several levels, I'm wagering it's some thing either supernatural or it's alien technology." She said, crossing her arms. "What we are looking at, if Gatekeeper's assessment is correct, is a hole in the fabric of space and time."

She sighed. "Whatever happened has just popped that entire skyscraper into another universe..."

Then her eyes widened. "The ARTIFACT!!! I hope to god Magus has a comlink..."

"Magus, I hope you are on the com network... because we got a problem up your alley. A skyscraper sized one."

She hovers, ready to intervene to keep aircraft from flying too close at a moment's notice.

note
Everything in blue is over coms.

"Magnum Opus, Mr. Focht," there was worry in his voice as he looked around and saw the nano-mist venting into the room. "W-what's going on?"

"I don't know, Gabriel. Stay calm. The others need us." MO looked around. "Gabe, weneedtocommunicateatsuperspeedtellmeifI'mgoingtoofast - "

Assuming that MO knows that Gabe's got Quickness, she will start to communicate at the same speed as his comprehension.

"I'm going to check on everyone in the building. I can sense brain activity in sentient beings so that can help give me a headcount. Your eyes and ears are keener than mine, so take a look and a listen outside and tell me what you see, but don't go out there on your own. Keep in touch via comms. Let me know if the others wake up. Then we'll figure out what to do next." To the normal human ear, MO's voice sounded like a Chipmunks record sped up.

Izzy frowned slightly at the somewhat unfamiliar name. "This Magus, he's a wizard or something of that sort? I don't think I've had the pleasure." The former spy shook her head; she really needed to keep better track of the various elements of Focht's team. Then she noticed Paladin's exceptional work at setting up a perimeter for public safety. "Half a mo', I'm going to see if our matter manipulator needs an assist." She slid her earpiece on and tapped it. "No fear, I'm still on comms."

Slither trotted over to the armored man, giving him a crisp little salute. "Hullo, Paladin; can I be of any help?"

"Artifact? Magus? What, we have magical support too?" Behind his mask Gatekeeper had an incredulous look on his face. He was going to stammer out something along the lines of "Magic exists?!" but given the scope of his own powers it might have rung a little hollow.

By now most of the people had moved back behind the bulwark set up by Paladin, though they were still too close for his comfort. Having felt the shockwave from the tower's disappearance several states away he wasn't even sure there was a safe distance for them to go.

"Perhaps you could help me, my Siberian tiger?" Behind her.... spoke Ryujin, dressed similarly to how they had met undercover at the cage fights the first time. Dash smiled and gestured to the cloud where his would be superhero team was split, and the building hidden.

"I saw this on the skyline and came over. What happened, if you know?"

Gabriel gave her the thumbs up, acknowledging that he could understand her. She's right man, calm down... Get a grip and listen. Magnum Opus is like, a real super hero... she'll get me through this.

"Perhapsweshould-get everyone to one place? A single place at the lowest point where they will be safe? They used to do that at my school when there was a crisis. For tornadoes and stuff." Gabriel didn't even realize he was talking as fast as her until a moment later. Mo smirked slightly when his expression changed and he waggled his jaw like all his muscles were suddenly tightened. "This is really cool, but kinda weird. Just sayin'." He added at the speed of gibberish.

"Jael's freakin' out." He added before standing up and carrying Fulcrum to Focht's desk and laying her down. He stepped away from the desk and flexed his senses, removing the mental filters he'd spent months learning. First his vision pierced the veil of steel and brick that made up the walls. The mist was all that was outside, he stressed and 'flexed' his vision, squinting to try and break through, but the result was the same, nothing but mist.

When his super hearing started picking up everything inside the building he quickly noticed that everything was deathly silent. No one was speaking, or panicking. Magnum Opus gave him a second as he slowly walked around the room with his yes closed, he was deep in concentration and she could tell. "Everyone is quiet." He said softly. "Their hearts, I can hear them. They're still alive, but slow... like they're sleeping."

When his eyes opened he looked at the blonde paragon. "We're trapped. I can't see through the mist and it's all that's outside the tower. My vision has never been blocked before..." That shakiness returned to his voice.

The Paladin was on the final stretch when Dr. Northlight took a headfirst leap of a dive off the skyscraper of logic.

"The ARTIFACT!!! I hope to god Magus has a comlink..."

"Dr, are you referring to that box that Focht showed us that did absolutely nothing except freak out you and Magus? While I'll admit that it is a possibility that that's what caused it, I think it's a stretch to assume that that's the cause at this juncture." He shook his head slowly as he continued work on the perimeter. I don't think I'll ever understand that woman and that box... "Yeah, Gatekeeper. The good Dr. and I met a gentleman who claimed to be of the magical persuasion with Mr. Focht a little while ago. I haven't heard of or from him since, so I don't know that we can count on him showing up."

Slither trotted over to the armored man, giving him a crisp little salute. "Hullo, Paladin; can I be of any help?"

He was almost finished when Slither offered her help. When she walked up and spoke to him, he paused his activities for a moment and looked around before continuing. "Yes, actually. It's taken me a bit to get all the way around, could you do a quick sweep of the area that way, while I finish and make a sweep back this way. Make sure that nobody got in while I was finishing up. It wouldn't do for one or two stragglers to be somewhere we don't expect and get in trouble... would it?" The last two sentences were said over his suit's speakers as well as the comms, as a warning to any stragglers who had actually gotten in. Of course, if there were any, they'd need help getting out as he had just finished the perimeter fence.

Rachael just shook her head. "Paladin, we need Magus here. If there is anything that "box" has to do with this, we are ill prepared to handle that. There is nothing else in the universe that can cause..." She pointed to the column of smoke where the Focht building should be standing. "...that, outside of some sort of external circumstance. That box is the only difference from when I first arrived on the team and now. Everything else is things I have researched and created and none of it is capable of cracking reality a new one!"

"All right. I agree, moving everyone to the basement is a good idea. We have no idea what's keeping the building up. Keep looking and listening. We'll carry them two at a time and we'll try to wake up whoever we can. Thankfully, over half the team's outside of this effect - they may be able to do something on their end. If we can't figure out what's happened, we'll have to trust in them."

The sudden appearance of the "ninja" from the final cage matches took Keeper somewhat by surprise. Enough of a surprise in fact, that he forgot himself completely and just blurted out, "Wha? You're the other one from the finals, did Focht hire you on too?" Luckily the pedestrians and such had been moved out of earshot. He wondered how he could possibly miss this guy's entrance while scanning the area with higher-dimensional senses.

"Blegh..." Fulcrum sat up once Gabe set her down and winced, holding her stomach.

"It's not THAT bad," she said thickly. "I'm not an invalid here. Stop with the freaky...squeaky squirrel talk and work with me on this."

"There's some kind of hospital type thing isn't there? Down below? Maybe there's drugs or machines or something that can help us deal with this and find out what's going on."

"Perhaps you could help me, my Siberian tiger?" Behind her.... spoke Ryujin, dressed similarly to how they had met undercover at the cage fights the first time. Dash smiled and gestured to the cloud where his would be superhero team was split, and the building hidden.

"I saw this on the skyline and came over. What happened, if you know?"

Slither jumped slightly, then turned to face the newcomer, and laughed despite herself. "Well well well, if it isn't the blooming Rose! Please tell me that isn't your real name; I just couldn't take you seriously, I'm afraid. And as for this-" She gestured towards the Tower, and then Northlight and Paladin. "Those two are the boffins; I'd ask them."

After Paladin gave her his instructions, she nodded sharply and started to move about the perimeter, where a few well-soaked individuals with cameras (Press? Conspiracy freaks? Who knows?) where trying to make it over the chain link, or at the very least get to the top. Izzy cupped her hands and shouted as loud as she could.

"Attention all you gits on the fence! For your own safety, you need to back the hell up and get OFF it! Use a bloody telephoto lens, it's much safer! Go on, clear out!"

She contiued this way around the perimeter.

With a small puff of smoke and a 'whump' of displaced air, Magus appeared in front of the building. His cloak settled around him as he smoothed a non-existent wrinkle from his suit and looked up at the manifestation before him. "So you're what made all that ruckus" he said quietly to himself.

He watched the swirling mist for a moment more before turning to the Heroes assembled. "Was anyone here inside the building when...that...happened" He said, gesturing towards where the building once stood.

A second before Magus appeared Gatekeeper jumped slightly, unless one was very perceptive it was a reaction easily missed. He was already looking in Magus's direction once he materialized. Just like when the building vanished he felt the disturbance in space, but while watching it happen he noticed that the way this Magus did it was slightly...off. The end result, while on a smaller scale, was similar to whatever vanished the building, and whatever force managed it didn't make any sense to him. Once Magus spoke up about the people inside the building, it jolted Keeper back into the present crisis.

"I'm pretty sure the usual building staff were in there, as well as Mr. Focht and some of the rest of the team. I got here immediately after the building...deleted itself from spacetime, but didn't see anyone abnormal in the vicinity. i can't force my way in or see inside either."

Fulcrum found herself in a super strong death-grip of a hug. She joined the squeaky talk by muttering something that sounded like 'you're killing me' before Gabe set her down. He scratched behind his head, a bit embarrassed and flushed a bit. "Sorry."

After the awkwardness was only slightly less awkward he told Fulcrum the plan. "The medical lab! I forgot was had our own hospital in here. Maybe you could gather up people in groups with the floaty thingy you do."

"Telekinesis?" She asked, just give him some grief. Gabe, so far, wasn't up on the technical terms.

"Yeah, that." He agreed. Gabe was not the leader-type especially when it came to asking his team mates to use their abilities. He didn't feel it was his place to tell others how to use their gifts. He wasn't sure if there was some wort of etiquette among super people. "Besides, Jael may need to be floated, invulnerable or not, it'll be hack trying to wrestle with her. She's as scared a cat bein' chased by a crow."

"Yeah, MO, The wolf-woman, the strong guy, Fulcrum, and the boss." Rachael said walking up to Magus. "I think we're gonna need your help on this... see if this is some sort of magical shenanigans." She said looking at the smoke. Then she turned to Paladin. "I think you're right to keep an open mind on other possibilities. Do you have any sensors or other detecting equipment in your possession to at least see what we pick up on from our side of things? I had recieved a report of a spike of neutrinos for a moment from a neutrino detector, but that was it. And that could have been some impending supernova or some nuclear test from a rogue nation."

She shook her head. "Here I am, a bloody scientist and I don't got anything for this. Then again I've not had time in the lab to work on things outside of the rebuildertech."

"I'll take care of Jael. The lab sounds like a great idea. Let's get moving. Carry who you can. If any of Paladin or Northlight's support personnel are handy they might be able to get us up to speed on it. If not, well... hope they left lots of books and we're a quick study. Because unless there's a hydroponics farm in here, we're going to start running out of oxygen before too long, if we really have been cut off from outside."

Magnum Opus advanced towards Jael, hands spread out. "Relax, Jael, it's just me. I'm not going to hurt you. You know I wouldn't."

The Paladin finished the fence and his check of the perimeter. He had to 'deposit' a couple of people back over, and add an outward leaning portion to the top to keep people from climbing over (seriously, was it that worth risking your life to get close to an unknown phenomena?). While he did all this, his mind was mulling over what Dr. Northlight had said.

"I have FLIR integrated into my suit, but I haven't picked up anything that would indicate a way in or heat getting through. Just minor, apparently random temperature fluctuations." He paused for a moment or two. "What I would like to do is get accurate laser measurements of the outside of this fog, so we can tell how thick this fog is, or if this fog has somehow replaced the tower. Who knows?"

With that he started the task of making laser rangefinders (3D scanners) and the scaffolding that would support the rest of the small instruments up towards the top of the tower.

"Alice. I'm going to need you to patch into the 3D scanners that I'm creating and make a 3-dimensional model of this fog bank. Then I'm going to need you to compare that with the known dimensions of the tower. That should give us an idea of how thick this stuff is, and maybe if there's anything underneath it..."

Underneath it... wait a second...

"Dr., Gatekeeper, everyone, anyone... has anyone checked to see how far down this goes? Are there any subway or access tunnels? Can we find where the water, phone and electricity lines go into the tower? Those might provide us with a clue or a means of communication."

"It's Ryujin!" Ryujin called out after the departing woman. He slipped over himself to listen in with the others about the situation. "Or perhaps," he proffered after some patient thought, "We could bypass it entirely? Say if we had someone who could teleport.... or Magus could create a portal?"

"If ya mean teleporting into the building I already tried that, it's not letting me. If you want to teleport to the bottom of the building foundation I need some kind of layout so I have a sense of where I'm going." Gatekeeper replied to Ryujin. He made note of the name since Ryujin was obviously going to be working with them all. "Of course, if Magus can fix this or open a gate to wherever the building has gone then we won't have to worry."

"Paladin, I can just head down there. While you're setting up up here I can check things. As my suit is fully sealed like yours I shouldn't have much trouble if there is something toxic or something I shouldn't be breathing down there. Anyone else capable? I'm sure some of us are immune to foreign things you shouldn't be breathing." She asked.

"This could be a number of things. The mist could be a barrier over the building or it could be such a dense manifestation that it fills the entire building. Alternatively the building could be gone; whisked away to some other world and this is what is left in it's wake." Magus said frankly. "The fact that you can't teleport in leads me to believe that it's either a shield or the building isn't there."

"Give me a moment to investigate," With a focusing breath he spoke a simple word "Videre." The word itself wasn't magic, but it was the perfect medium to focus and channel his power. His senses opened to the magic around him and the building lit up like a Christmas tree.

Not sure if you will need a perception check or not but I rolled one anyways just is case

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 2+11: 13
[Jordan] 9:19 pm: Perception check for Magus

Andery doubled over, and threw up behind his desk. After several moments, he rose shakily. "That was unpleasant." His fingers tapped several commands, or would have were there power. "we are off the grid completely, even the backups."

He then took in the others around him, Jael in her wolf form, the others trying to calm her, or each other. He became aware of the mist outside, and put his hands to his head, screaming in agony... Then he fell over, unconscious. Outside the window, to which all had been drawn to look at his pain, the mists began to clear, and the world outside began to show itself, endless verdant forests, covering the Island, and all the land they could see..

----------------------------

Back In New York, All Magus could detect was a Shimmering Magical field. He would need to focus much more magical power to see more than that it Was indeed magic.The crowds were heeding the heroes, and the Mist itself was still exactly as it was coating where the building should be and within 30 feet around it.

Magus you may roll again, though it will equate to another hour of time to focus the needed magical power If you have a spell that may help, I'm willing to add a bonus to this roll you'll just need to inform me how it works

For the other Heroes, Frustration was indeed the order of the day. Technology was indeed failing them. Curiously, the piping in the sewers even electrical cables all thought the building was still there as normal, when it was becoming more clear that it was not. Three black SUV's made their way to the Cordon, and from each, two men dressed in identical black suits got out. The obvious leader, wearing dark shades and the only one who wasn't white nodded. "I need to speak, privately with whoever among you is in charge."

"Jurassic Park," Fulcrum said. She got down off the desk and went to Andery's side to feel for a pulse and breathing. After a second she added, "He's alive, but I'd feel a lot better if he was down in the infirmary. We'd better get moving."

She stood up, and Andery levitated into the air beside her.

Doctor Northlight gulped, seeing the MiBs approaching. Seeing everyone was tied up with their various projects and meeting frustration, and her scientific process provided no fruit, she decided to shoulder the load.

"Actually, sirs... we're still trying to figure things out... But at this rate, I can speak with you a moment."

She walked over to the MiB and held out her hand. "Doctor Northlight. Pleased to meet you."

The Paladin finished the scaffolding and reported as he descended. "It appears that the outer edge of the fogbank is within 30' of the outside of the building. So, if the building is still under there, it's at most 30' away. If it's not... it took 30' of atmosphere with it."

The Paladin landed by where the MiB had pulled up to the fence and were talking to Dr. Northlight. As he walked up to the conversation, he waved his hand and the section of fence in front of them transformed into a chainlink pedestrian gate. He chimed in after Dr. Northlight, adding to what she'd already said. His tone was even, teaching, non-confrontational. "You can talk to her, you can talk to me, you can talk to any and every one of us. Chances are, whatever you tell one of us we're going to tell the rest of us anyway. What do you all have on your minds? We're still trying to ascertain the exact nature of what happened here and how to penetrate or reverse it. Anything you all would have to add would certainly be helpful."

Archived