Mutants & Masterminds:M&M3E Emerald City

Dave ST

I've never run an M&M game before and I'm looking to give it a shot. I figure with its 1 die to roll system it might be fairly efficient when it comes to things like combat and stuff, we'll see.

• Game System: Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition
  • Game Name: Emerald City
  • Number of PCs Desired: 6-8
  • Open to New Players?: Yes, if the number of players drops below the 6-8 mark.
  • Player Posting Frequency: 1/week (RL takes precedence of course, but let me and your fellow players know)
  • ST Posting Frequency: 1/week
  • Starting PC Power Level: PL10 (150 power points)
  • Setting Description: The players will be members of a super hero team in Emerald City. They will have secret lives as well as super lives and will meet with and battle all sorts of super villains and organizations whose names are comprised of acronyms.
  • Theme: The theme is a simple one, comic book/cartoon super heroism. Inspiration will be drawn largely from comic books (duh), Marvel Movies and the slew of DC based Justice League cartoons. There will be cheese, monologuing, a complete displacement of logic at critical times and possibly tied up heroes dangling over tanks of sharks.
  • What to Expect: Expect me to run this like every episode of every DC cartoon you've ever seen. Your oppositions will be just as powerful as you as well as nothing more than a host easy to beat purse snatcher thugs. It will be violent and as dark as it needs to be to get the point across that you are dealing with maladjusted people who have earned the title Villain.

You will have serious threads and there will be the occasional cheesy joke story. The point is to have fun.

• House Rules?: No, but I will cheat from time to time.

Now, with that out of the way a few personal notes about making characters. You may play:

Humans (people who are just really freaking good at what they do or rely on some device. Batman, Black Widow, Green Arrow, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Dr. Fate)

Mutants (people who were born with their powers. Pick an X-Man for an example.)

Aliens (people who are not from Earth. Superman and Martian Man Hunter are examples.)

Meta-Humans. (people who were human, but have somehow became super. Spider-Man, Shazam, The Hulk)

You may not be gods or descended from gods or any other mythological figure. You are not genetically engineered from the blood of the World Serpent or any crap like that. What you may be is blessed by the gods, like Shazam. No, you don't have the gods on speed dial.

I want something believable, yet encompassing the cheese of the genre. I don't want to see a the second failed experiment of a mad scientist to create an army of adolescent wererabbits to be called "Rabbit Kid"... I wanna see 'Beta Carroteen'. See what I did there? Beta, because he was the second... carrot cuz rabbits like carrots. Teen cuz hes an adolescent and beta carotene is common in carrots which rabbits frickin' love! I fuckin' killed that shit! UGH! *pelvic thrust*

Now mind you, if you actually handed me that character I'd give you a fucking medal before telling you 'Uh, no..." I don't want to see people making characters who are only good for sitting on the bench and doing nothing. You will need to be an active part of your super team. Leave the cheese like Beta Carroteen to me but make comic book characters don't make anime throwbacks, or carbon copies of shit you saw in a movie or video game once. Comic books people. I wanna see the Captain Americas, the Spider-men (or women) the Wonder Women (or guys), the Hulks, the Black Widows and the Black Cats... you know what I mean and you know I'm a stickler for theme.

I understand that a lot of us wanna gestalt our favorite heroes together into something cooler. I get it and I'm right there with you, but keep it under control. Combine two or maybe three heroes together, but any more than that and you're just being a derp. If your PC is Iron-Man, The Hulk, Thor and Captain America all wrapped into one... then why the fuck are you on a super team!!?!?! All you're going to do is piss off everyone else who made a character because... well... you can already do that! The powers you have should compliment the powers your team mates have. If you plan on doing this alone... make your own game.

When gestalting heroes together, steal one or two abilities from each. That should give you 3-6 powers or equipment sets. And yes, this is a game where regular Joe super heroes will be able to defeat guys like Superman. That's how the rules work, sometimes a utility belt is just as groovy as awesome alien idealism. Frankly I'm a fan of the Robin and Hawkeye types.

Speaking of Robin... you may, at your discretion, be a sidekick of one of the tougher, cooler heroes who's finally come into his or her own. I'm cool with that. Wanna be Nightwing to the NPC Batman? Fuckin' A. Go for it, but make sure your background fits the origin and the power set you have. And no, you don't have your mentor on speed dial.

This will be submission attrition, 6-8 players will be accepted. I can't run a game of 10+ people like some others can.

I will add more things to this list as we discuss this below... you know the drill people.

I plan on getting this started by the 14th (hopefully).

Go.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BROADCAST TV STATIONS
KOAY Channel 4—ABN affiliate
KCYB Channel 5—NBN affiliate
KTBS Channel 8—GBN affiliate
KSET Channel 9—Public broadcasting
KJHL Channel 11—CBN affiliate
KLEC Channel 12 —FNA affiliate

I'm getting my info from the Emerald City book. If people don't have it they should consider looking into it.

Interesting... my first semi-viable idea would be some combination of The Sentinel (enhanced senses, but only 1 at a time) and Allan Quatermain from LXG (immortal, comes back to life so long as some of his remains come into contact w/ the ground (buried, ashes scattered on land or wash ashore, etc.). Thinking he'd be proficient with weapons since he's had so long to practice.

Could possibly go with something else (Magma man...?), but the immortality really seems to be something I'd like to integrate.

So I am not feeling my original concept; the Super Soldier/Archer. Mechanically he's a decent character, but I can't get into him and I think I'd loose interest in him fairly quickly. To that end I am working on another concept. one I've had in the back of my mind for a long time.

His working name is Mr. Winter, although I don't know if that will be his actual super hero name. I am using the Elemental template from the books, although somewhat modified and obviously his dealio is cold and ice. He will have gotten his powers from The Silver Storm event in Emerald City.

Power-Wise Mr. Winter is super-humanly strong (Str 8) and incredibly tough (Toughness 14). He's Immune to Cold and a few other things. Primarily though he can project Ice and Cold. He generates blasts of Ice and freezing "cold energy", He can encase people in Ice, create weapons and other Ice structures and radiate extreme cold out to 500'. He can also create Ice slides.

So yeah. there is what I am working on. :)

I think I can do the weather controller. Just your typical embodiment of the fury of the storm. Call her The Gale.

One question though, are we an organized group with some backing, or are we a group that's just a bunch of heroes and heroines that like working together? Just wondering if this will be a "bring your own costume" affair.

Unless one of you is rich enough to back the team, chances are you a group of like-minded heroes who want to make a difference and are meeting in a rented warehouse or one of your mom's basements.

If one of you buys an HQ then maybe one of you discovered one of many abandoned hidden lairs from a retired or villain. They might even come to want it back.

You guys aren't The Sentinels or the Freedom League, you haven't quite earned the rep they have. You're like at sidekick status with out the hero to learn from. Of course, benefit: mentor could get you one of those retired heroes on your side...

S'all about the street cred homies.

Now I'm thinking about a light controlling immortal. More Dr. Light than Green Lantern in powerset. Flight/teleportation (flight at the speed of light), light/laser beams, light shield, increased sight abilities, maybe some invisibility (light bending/active camo) thrown in. Ok, maybe a little bit of Green Lantern, but only for making melee weapons.

We'll see how this turns out.

Casey is a very straightforward paragon; flight, super-strength, hard to kill, likes to help people, good senses. I think she'd be a good addition to any fledgling team. Plus the whole reporter angle is good for contacts and plot hooks.

I know this will sound crazy... But you can ask me things in here, and I can reply to them.

Do you have a preference between mystically-empowered paragon vs awakened/inherited power paragon, in terms of your game world? I created Casey twice with two different origins, one more like Captain Marvel, the other more like Will Stronghold from Sky High, and I'm not sure which one to pick. If one works better for you, I will go with that one.

Do you have a preference between mystically-empowered paragon vs awakened/inherited power paragon, in terms of your game world? I created Casey twice with two different origins, one more like Captain Marvel, the other more like Will Stronghold from Sky High, and I'm not sure which one to pick. If one works better for you, I will go with that one.

Honestly, I don't mind either. If you want Casey to shout 'Sim-sim-salabim!' and explode into her paragon form, then that's awesome. You're getting it. You're getting what I'm looking for. The Sky High route works great too, since that guy had weaknesses like needing air and he wasn't invulnerable.

Frankly I don't care how you do it. Make her any way you like with the typical fan fare (powers, weaknesses, complications, etc...)

Some people here dislike and have banned Jack of all Trades from their games. I don't recall your stance. Would/Will you allow it?

I'd prefer people didn't take it, since all it does it seem to shit on people's shoes.

On a side note guys there are a ton of power profiles and then there's all the gadget guides available to you. Once you think up a concept, take a look at those, they are invaluable for helping get your power point totals accurate.

Ok, slight tweak to my concept. Dropped the immortality, while playing an ancient would be cool, I think a more contemporary person would fit the setting better. So instead of an ancient character, a bright college aged kid who stumbled upon a sentient, indestructible, magical amulet that not only gives him powers but a physical boost and imparts it's accumulated knowledge.

Now just have to assign 24 ranks worth of skills.

I'm trying to come up with a better name for Mr. Winter. He's an Iceman type character who is in College and tends to be a little too aggressive as a super hero. Any suggestions?

EDIT: here is a picture of him when Iced up. Just add a Domino Mask under the ice on his face.;

vcWF6j9.jpg

Rev: Will it help if I just simply play Hypothetical as just a straight comic book costumed detective? With a 'fake-skin' Morph disguise.

But these are my arguments for JLU Question style being perfectly four-color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gh3fdkF0yo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-170aTaOMvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiXVcRiP4ew

He's ice themed and gay. Easy-peasy.

The Snowblower.

The Coldcocker.

Chilly Willie

Okay... Fine... I'm shutting up... :P

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh god that is funny shit!

Okay so the two ideas I have for names right now are Cryostorm (Cryo for the Ice part and Storm because he is a "stormer"; someone who got his powers in the Silver Storm), or Black Ice....What do you guys think?

Rev, can I use this power?

Time Stop
You can put time on “pause”, freezing the entire world and allowing you to move and look around at the tableau at your leisure. You cannot affect anything while time is stopped (for that, see Temporal Ambush). Still, this power allows you considerable opportunity for scouting and surveillance, such as stopping time, walking into a place and having a good look around before walking out and restarting time again. Your effect rank determines how much subjective time you get; with rank 9, for example, you have an hour “outside” of time to do things, then time returns to its normal flow. The Subtle modifier means no one notices you “move” when time is stopped.

Time Stop: Quickness (Subtle 2), Speed (Subtle 2), Quirk: Limited to routine actions while active (–4 points) • 2 points per rank.

Cryostorm.

Also, I don't doubt that that The Question is 4color. I dont think he's super enough as is. Just needs to be gimmicked up a bit, like a his coat holding a slew gadgets to take down some of the more potent super villains. He'll be great for helping solve crimes, but needs to hold his own in a scuffle of he'll get decimated.

Cryostorm.

Also, I don't doubt that that The Question is 4color. I dont think he's super enough as is. Just needs to be gimmicked up a bit, like a his coat holding a slew gadgets to take down some of the more potent super villains. He'll be great for helping solve crimes, but needs to hold his own in a scuffle of he'll get decimated.

Ok, but that's mostly mechanics and all. As long as the core concept is appropriate, then that's good to hear.

Archived