Aberrant: Nova World - Recruitment

Justin OOC

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, jeez, thanks for that post, Serena! :P After Serena's performance, Beth on the Quantum Harp, and even Ricardo's speech, merely playing Tennis against yourself seems very uninspiring and unimpressive.

But seriously, very excellent posts from all of you. They're just really hard to follow, which is partly why I've delayed posting so long.

@Serena (and everyone really).

I know many of you have a short-hand when it comes to writing for others within your own posts. However I am used to other forums where such narrative liberty is frowned upon, and so it makes me uncomfortable. Not in a negative sense where I feel there is any bad intent (I know it's all gravy).

However, as I am writing my character I am discovering his unique voice, and so early in the game such narrative "hijacking" feels a bit disruptive to my creative process. For example, the part where Serena posted for Ricardo's mother was fine, however when she wrote for Ricardo, I bristled (just ever so slightly), because I had made a creative decision that Ricardo would always (unless insisted otherwise) refer to the women and ranking men as Mr. and Miss So-and-so (out of his sense of respect and a bit of his self-effacement), and also that he himself would insist that the other novas refer to him as 'Rico' as Ricardo is what his mother calls him.

I wanted to interject this into the conversation, but the way Serena wrote she just breezed past it.

It's not a huge deal; I'm not wanting to start an argument, or create any bad feelings. I mean no disrespect. Just want to speak up and ask if we can have conversations in real time and if people could please refrain from posting words in my character(s) mouths...at least until I have established them more for myself, and the relationships with the other PCs have been established in actual play.

I hope that this is not an unreasonable request.

That's fine, Sky. I tried to keep any posting for other characters to a bare minimum, like I did here, unless I'm very familiar with that player and their character. I'm also happy to make corrections based on this kind of feedback. I'm sure Rico would have already told her this upon earlier interaction, so I'm happy to go back and make the modification to have her call him Rico. Let me know if there's anything else you need me to change, and I'll avoid posting for Rico in the future unless you give me clearance to do so.

Edit: Also, I was under the impression based on a quick google search Rico and his mother speak Portuguese, so that's what I went with. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also Sky, I just caught the other part of what you said, about calling people Miss and such. Serena's not very much older than him, and when they first met she would have insisted (quite pleasantly) that he not call her that, that she preferred Serena. Would he still insist on the Miss? If so, I'll change that too.

Haha, our characters both have these quirks. It's only an issue because we are starting play essentially in media res, with the first meetings having happened offscreen.

Very well, so we can both dispense with the "Miss McCoy" and "only my mother calls me Ricardo" bits as having already happened offscreen. Will edit. :)

That expo idea was a good one. It allows us to get into character before the actual game begins. Is this common for PbP games?

For us, yes. We usually do a lot of collaborative writing outside the game with the characters. It allows us to play the characters without the ST around and still mix and mingle. It shows they have lives going on even when they are 'off the clock'.

Some STs award bonus XP for it, some don't. We just like to write. :)

So...obviously Justin can have it be whatever he wants in his version of Aberrant, but all of the talk about "Quantum Batteries" and Quantum as a form of energy don't really compute for me. As I always understood the setting, Novas gain their power by effecting the 3 primal forces: gravity, strong and weak nuclear forces, and electromagnetism. They do this by mucking directly with it as an extension of their will via the M-R Node. To my understanding there is no such thing as "quantum energy", with such things as quantum pool points (and powers like Quantum Leech) being a conceit to game mechanics.

Am I mistaken? Is "Quantum" a form of energy distinct from solid, liquid, gas, plasma?

I know the Trinity setting explores the idea of a noetic layer of reality "underneath" the quantum layer.

I mean, it's all rpg/comic pseudoscience anyway. In RL a quanta is the smallest known packet of matter, making up all the subatomic particles.

Could someone set me straight on this, at least with regards to the setting?

I can't speak for Justin naturally but if you actually take a deep look at Aberrant, both the mechanics and the fluff treat it both ways.

Yes, theoretically you are simply manipulating the four fundamental forces to get get whatever effect you want. However the game doesn't always treat it like that. Quantum Pool is a funny concept when you look at it. While it does it's job adequately it tends to give the impression of a quantum "gas tank" rather than a tolerance point for manipulating the universe. Then you get to things like Node, Eufiber and Quantum Theft. If Quantum isn't some sort of actual energy then just what is Node detecting? What about Eufiber; It states that it can store quantum (again the gas tank analogy here) and when so charged, grants benefits. Finally what are quantum thieves like Jason actually siphoning away when they steal your quantum pool?

So I think when it comes to quantum a lot of handwavium (oh that magic handwavium) needs to be involved, because while I can certainly logic out how the above examples can be described as interacting with the 4 fundamental forces of the universe fluff, their wording lends itself to the idea of a "quantum energy" more naturally.

In the player's guide on page 86 it states that with a 4th instar or higher node you can absorb quantum from standing energy sources, the prominent examples being a live nuclear reactor and the surface of the sun. It then goes on to drop the ball int the ST's court about whatever else you could use to soak up quantum. Given this little bit of text it seems like Quantum can be partially defined as ambient energy from various atomic reactions. I prefer the handwavium explanation though...

My reference to "Quantum battery" came from an earlier post someone else made that I just ran with.

See I always thought of quantum points as "endurance" (like in the HERO system). Just like how you have limited athletic potential based on your conditioning and glycogen stores, so too does the MR node get tired depending on how much it's used (this fits with the recovery mechanic as well). With Eufiber I consider the mechanics to be representing "attuning" it to your unique sig. Leech is the most problematic but it's also a metagamey power. If I rewrote the game I would leave it out.

Honestly, I think it's something like this. Ultimately, we're manipulating the fundamental forces of reality, but human minds and bodies can't fully process it. So 'quantum energy' is perhaps a middle-man medium that we can handle, but still is subconsciously converted into fire/ice/super brains/Sonja's boobs to actually match the concept of superpowers/abilities that we can comprehend.

Therefore if we use the example of Darksol's post, the nuclear forces of the reactor or the sun (or others) are absorbed, but near-instantaneously converted to quantum.

It's like a plastic bag full of refreshing drinking water. You need the bag to transport and access the water, and there's only so much it can hold.

People following me?

Max,

So, apparently the sinus congestion had spread to my brain last night. Apparently - and I distinctly remember thinking this - I bizarrely read somewhere in your post that Max had volunteered to go get drinks for people. Even though you didn't write that at all. I suppose I read the part about him carrying in the coffee, and then maybe something about Kait asking for coffee, and my mind just said "Oh, he volunteered to go get people drinks! Serena should offer to HELP."

So, I'm modifying that part out, since it made absolutely no effing sense whatsoever, and no one had say anything in the meantime that locked it into needing to stay. Apologies for the brain fog.

Archived