Aberrant: Nova World - Recruitment

Justin OOC

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm dropping the gunslinger concept, too many points would be invested into it. In fact outside of being a genius I really don't know what I'm going to do with the character as I'd need to make her combat capable.

I'll see what's left after I take care of the Smarty-Pants stuff and see if there is anything left at all.

That's obvious with the number of people in the group. I suppose if there is more than enough fighty-types I can have some self-sufficiency, it's jsut annoying as I don't know what "good enough" is in Aberrant. I got for 5 dots as a solution and it's just something at least in my head that doesn't seem to work for being well rounded.

That's obvious with the number of people in the group. I suppose if there is more than enough fighty-types I can have some self-sufficiency, it's jsut annoying as I don't know what "good enough" is in Aberrant. I got for 5 dots as a solution and it's just something at least in my head that doesn't seem to work for being well rounded.

Stop trying to game the system to make yourself invulnerable to plot and just make the character the way that its supposed to be. Don't worry about "good enough". It doesn't matter. Long isn't going to kill us all off because then he wouldn't have a game. This isn't tabletop, where we have to strain ourselves to find a new group. If we walk, we have options.

im kinda leaning towards a a cybernetic style character using bodymorph: technology, cyberkinesis, q bolt, qbolt (mirv), flight, and invisibility possibly intuition as well for powers. can have a wright soon. but basically the synapsis would be that he had been caught in one of the "fallouts" as the quantum energy fused both him and the nanite project he had been assiting with together.

Okay here is what I'm looking at:

Name: Sakurako Hino

Callsign: Edge Delta

Mechanical Genius and Pilot who can control Paper (Elemental Anima).

She's been a Nova since S-Day and only fairly recently got picked up by Novastar due to her talent for doing field repairs of vehicles and her talents with operating them. A bit of an Inventor and she's also a compliment to Kaitlyn's Scientific know-how. As for her personally? Awkward. Cute, but awkward. Loves her machines and has better speaking time with them than with most people.

Comes from Hawaii, from a Japanese-American family. She doesn't know their fate as when S-Day happened she was on an outing on a yacht when the strangeness happened. The yacht sank from a sudden storm whipped by the event (possibly whipped up by a taint maddened freak) and Sakurako washed up on the shores of Oregon. between both Zones. She was 16 at the time, and hasn't had the opportunity to contact them, in fact as far as she knows/feels, they're dead.

She spent the better part of two years "threading the needle" between the L.A. Zone and the Seattle Zone, where she's had first hand experience of monsters and freaks that hang around those parts, and acclimating to her ability to control paper both for defense and offense. Paying for food and supplies through her mechanical genius and talent for repair, and learning first responder skills from the people living in the more dangerous areas of the west. She eventually got to Denver where she acclimated to life in more civilized surroundings, where she built her reputation as a elite mechanic and as a air-courier to the safe regions in the Midwest and the Great Plains. Eventually Novastar picked up on her talents, and hired her on.

Whatcha think?

Alright, Maxwell Kane is on paper I just need the time to put him in a digital format. Probably tomorrow night or Monday. I think a majority of the people will like the guy, especially since he's the half owner of a bar/grill on the coast of Florida where everyone can hang out after a long day of saving the world and stuff.

I've selected:

Attributes all at 4. Mega Dex, Sta, Wits, Man all at 1.

Skills in the 1-3 range. Awareness and Arts (Culinary) are his only skills at 4. The guy is a kick ass chef.

Fire Fists (Claws 1) (Or feet... he knows Kung Fu.)

Produce Flame (Quantum Conversion 1) (Great for lighting pilot lights... or chilly evenings on the beach.)

Elemental Nexus (Absorption (Energy) 1) (He likes to absorb his own Immolate and channel it into a massive Q-Bolt)

Heatstroke (Disorient 1) (Vomiting, dizziness, hallucinations... nothing like someone cranking your core temp over 105 degrees...)

Calcine (Disrupt (Limited to Armor/Physical Soak) 1) (Melts and bleeds away at defenses making targets easier to breech.)

Raging Inferno (Elemental Mastery 3) (The guy knows fire...)

Now Picture This... But All Over! (Immolate 1) (He fond of stacking his Claws with Immolate for higher damage pools)

I couldn't afford Q-Construct too... :(

That should give people some idea what to expect. I've given him all low scores in powers and skills so the PC has room to grow. I ranked EM a 3 because it's the core power from which all his others were born, it's more 'natural' to him.

This is Trinary my cybernetic genius.theres still some work left to do on him for some final tweaks but tthis is him. what do you all think.
Attributes: +1np
STR: 3 PER: 4 APP: 2
DEX: 3 INT: 4 MAN: 2
STA: 3 WIT: 4 CHA: 2
Abilities: +2np
Brawl 3, Might 3, Athletics 3, Awareness 3, Endurance 4, Resistance 4, Academics 4, Computers 5, Engineering 5,
Physics 5, Survival 3, Linguistics 1 (binary)
Will: 5 (+2np) Quantum: 5 (+14 bp) Taint: 3
Megas
3np Str 1
3np Dex 1
9np Sta 3
3np Int 1
Backgrounds:
Node 2, Backing: Novastar 3, Resources 3
Enhancements:
Quantum Leap, Fast Tasks, Adaptability, Regeneration, Mental Prodigy Engineering
Powers:
15np Bodymorph: Technology 5 (electromagnetic vision, hardbody, [Cyberkinesis: alter data, reprogram, control])
3np T Q-Bolt (mirv) 1
3np Q-Bolt 1
3np T Invulnerability (broad cat physical) 1
3np T Invulnerability (broad cat energy) 1
Strengths/Weaknesses
Bodymorph
-1 dice pool penalty (1pt Weakness)
Permanent Duration (1pt Strength)

Justin, wouldn't permanent Bodymorph mean that his PC is also constantly altering data, reprogramming machines and controlling machines around him. He couldn't turn those three powers off unless he dorms down. Basically he'd walk into an office and his powers would begin to seriously mess up the days business.

He wouldn't be able to control the activation of those powers because, like Bodymorph, they are 'on' (permanent) at all times.

Sense we're sharing... not quite ready to share everything sense I'm still in the design process, but character has been submitted, Seraph, who is often called 'the Druid' due to her power mix, she prefers to use her real name though, but sometimes you get what you want, and sometimes you don't.

Power Set: Nature Mastery, Weather Manipulation, Shapechanging, Mega-Stamina(High), Appearance(low), Dexterity(low) and Intelligence(low)

Highly versatile, very tough, but rather vulnerable to mental and social manipulations, as well as quantum manipulation effects.

Okay Jason is submitted. He's gone through a bit of change. He no longer has Telekinesis or the Quantum Bolt at this point. Instead I've boosted his Mega Dexterity and he has 2 variations of Quantum Vampire. One that steals Strength & Dexterity the other that steals Stamina & Health...

Most other Novas avoid touching him :)

Jay is still getting his masters degree in computer science at MIT. He has a bachelors in mechanical engineering and another in computer science (focused on networks, cyber security and programming). He has a 3 in all attributes, except a 4 in Dex & Man, 5 in Sta & 2 in App. MSta 5. He only has two powers besides his MSta (4 of the 5 enhancements for it, missing adaptability), being Homunculus at 4 and Clone at 2.

But he's got lots of skills/abilities. Regular plus 5np lots of abilities. Maxed at 5 in: Legerdemain, Stealth, End/Resis (from MSta 5), Computer, Intrusion, Streetwise & Subterfuge, with a 4 in Engineering. Between a 1&3 in 11 other abilities. When you can be in 8 places at once, it really opens up possibilities to the amount of stuff you can learn and dabble in.

As for personality... Jay is fairly me-centric, mischievous, and has a more relaxed view on laws (especially personal property laws) than most local authorities. He's used to (for the past 4 1/2 to 5 years) working on a team... but usually everyone on his team thinks, acts and looks exactly like him. He has the skills of a master catburgler, and has been paying his own way though college with them.

Seraph- Where is "Nature Mastery" written, is it different from Animal/Plant mastery? Or did you actually mean Plant Mastery?

Morkoll- It's because whenever you turn into whatever your bodymorph is, it states all the auxiliary powers under that suite activate simultaneously. If you are really infested with nanotech, then it could be interpreted that your cyberkinesis immediately activates to keep it under control, if not I suppose you could pull some of the points out of bodymorph and purchase the cyberkinesis separately. At least then you'd be able to use it without shifting forms.

Morkol I am not allowing strengths and weaknesses on powers... Also, it's best to PM me the character and background in a PM with [Nova World Character] Trinary as the subject.

Aha! I was planning on using them also, to link my powers together as they are supposed to be different aspects of the same power, and it is in fact a weakness (disadvantage) to have them going (in other words because I can't use my force field without the immolate going off as well). It's not a huge blow to the concept to make them separately activated but it does change the feel of the character a bit. This restriction should have probably been in the character generation guidelines.

,, ,,

Justin, wouldn't permanent Bodymorph mean that his PC is also constantly altering data, reprogramming machines and controlling machines around him. He couldn't turn those three powers off unless he dorms down. Basically he'd walk into an office and his powers would begin to seriously mess up the days business.

He wouldn't be able to control the activation of those powers because, like Bodymorph, they are 'on' (permanent) at all times.

It is widely agreed upon that while Strengths and Weaknesses are generally minor and okay, THAT particular one is broken. Usually the only way to get a permanent power is as a high-level aberration at Taint 8. I've also seen it as an extra in Q6 games that makes your power an L4 power. Mostly though getting a permanent power, and taking dorm is seen as cheesy as hell.

right i get that but i wasnt going to take dormancy for 1 and for 2 the concept was for the character to be akin to robocop or cyborg for example due to the "event" causing major amounts of damage to his body and the infestation of nanites in his system were the only thing that had and still is keeping him alive. that was the reason for the strength but hey since there not being used its fine ill more than likely just come up with a different concept for a character. just because the change to the character wouldnt have the same feel or appeal. so back to the drawing board.

well there are ways to make him a full-time cybernetic organism... mega attributes. Dispersed organs bodymod (1 level). Armor is also permanent. Plus you can still take your cyberkinesis as implants without them being on all the time. Basically your concept works just fine and really you don't even need bodymorph for it.

As for them being automatically out of control a Dave was saying, that would actually be a *different* aberration...the medium taint Uncontrollable Power.

At this point we should wait for Justin's opinion on that stuff.

As for the Strengths and Weaknesses thing, it's been both the fact that Justin has never allowed them, so we've gotten used to not using them when he runs it. To be honest I do not think any malice was implied by the omission, as it was also mentioned in chat, sadly when you were not present.

I think he should take the cyberbody thing along with shape shift limited to dinosaurs and stomp around the battlefield as Cybersaurus, Destroyer of Eras. We could ride him and use his shoulder mounted ray cannons...

It. Would. Be. Epic.

Just sayin'.

Archived