Aberrant: Nova World - Recruitment

Justin OOC

April First, 2009. It was a day which would live forever in the History of Humanity, as the Cosmos seemed to make the ultimate April Fool's Day joke... only it didn't end afterwards, The world didn't go back to how it was, It only got wierder.

No one really knows exactly what happened, what caused The Surge, but its effects were felt immediately. High Concentration radiant Quantum flooded the entire globe. From Space the phenomenon was visible as a gold-white glow suffusing almost the whole world. For nearly seventy Five percent of the world, it receded within an hour. Where it didn't, well these vast accumulations of still-hot Quantum energy are known as The Zones.

Within the Zones, Physics, and normal biology have been grossly rewritten. The Middle East, Perhaps one of the larger Zones, is a Verdant Jungle, populated by monstrous creatures, some of which may have been human, once. In Seattle, The City exists, but it's occupants can only be seen at night. They seem to carry on normal lives, but the town is an eerie ghost town by day. New York City, one of the world's major Urban Sprawls, Called an Urban Jungle, truly is now. Many buildings are overgrown with what seems to be almost sapient vegetation. Los Angeles is a barren wasteland, ruled over by its former residents, now all mutated by intense quantum forces.

Within the Zones humans do not remain human long, and as such, they avoid the zones. All is not however dark and bleak. Because the Surge receded so quickly much of humanity remains, indeed The nations of the world are largely present, though somewhat diminished in some regards. The interet functions, though Quantum storms over the oceans do sometimes interfere with all sorts of signals.

Perhaps the side affect of the Surge that was most unusual, The Rise of the Novas. Humans empowered with the very forces of quantum itself, Immune to the Ambient Quantum of most zones, The wield fantastic superhuman abilities, and through them, Humanity can explore the zones, and defend themselves from the creatures that emerge and attack from the zones.

Perhaps the most ubiquitous change has been the proliferation of the Q-scanner, a device that ranges from the size of a cellphone for personal use, with a range of fifty meters, to the massive two ton thirty mile range scanners mounted on ocean-going vessels. Every vessel at sea requires a small detachment of soldiers, armed for repelling most of the known monsters the world has become home to, or, in rare instances, a nova. Most cities have several Q-Scanners, situated around the city to act as an early warning system for Quantum powered threats.

In the midst of the chaos and order of the new and old world, there exist many companies who have hired out their staff as security consultants, both nova and human. More than that, thanks to some nova's vastly enhanced intelligence, There's been a boom in technology, allowing humans to better defend themselves, New medicines to treat many diseases, ways to fortify crops against quantum contamination,, as well as the Hypercombustion Engine, which can run on 1/10th the fuel of older internal combustion engines, ten times longer. While this cut down dramatically on demand for fossil fuels it still exists, and Most countries are in the process of shutting down all nuclear plants they operate.

The Game- The players are being pulled together, either with a recent offer of employment, highly lucrative in monetary terms, or already employees of Novastorm Technologies. NovaStorm created the Q-Scanner devices, as well as the cure to most forms of cancer, HIV, and several other major diseases plaguing the world. The medical releases were released as open source, available to anyone, free of charge.

The Head of NovaStorm is Dr. Calvin Aziz. A Nobel winning Physicist, and subsequently a molecular biologist of great skill since S-Day. Each of you, as novas, were recruited by him personally. His most Fervent wish is to uncover the cause of The Surge, and that is why he has assembled you. You are his troubleshooters, the Team he sends when a job takes a more unconventional approach. Saying that, you do have great latitude in your personal lives. His only condition is that when the small communicator each of you has been given chimes, you answer. When extreme Alacrity is needed, He has retained the services of one of only five novas in the world with the capability to open gateways between locations, but more often than not re relies on each of you to respond arrive in a timely Manner. NovaStar Technologies is Based in Houston, Texas.

Character Creation rules
50 np
base starting quantum-3 (can be bought no higher than 5)
base quantum pool- 50
Characters start with backing 3 in Novastar technolgies for free
Starting Taint may not exceed 3

I am allowing powers and enhancements from New Flesh, Forceful Personalities, and Brainwaves, beyond the APG, and core book. Powers from the Teragen book are not allowed.

Warp, Transmit, Teleport and Body mod: Improved Attribute are not allowed in this game. If you have any questions ask me in PM, or in chat.

each odd dot of a mega att will provide an additional "Free" enhancement (1, 3, 5)

One note about zones, there exist zones that ARE harmful to novas, and can actually cause them to gain temporary taint just by being in the zone. However, Quantum offers them some protection, so long as there is quantum in their pool. It is rumored that there is are zones that will literally drain quantum from any source of it, so They can be a threat.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me in. Clone/Homunculus/MSta(Regen, Resiliency, Hardbody, Durability) for powers. Still working on the rest of the concept, but I have in mind someone who is somewhat lazy (using clones to go to work for him) and/or sneaky/criminal (using clones for alibis and clones/homunculus to help with heists).

Still working on details.

I'll be bringing a character into this, starting concept, Druid like abilities, weather control, nature mastery, and shapeshift being the powers possessed, how much of each depends, but I'm going to be focusing on the weather controller first, then the other powers, then most likely picking up mega attributes to give these abilities more of a punch.

I got two different ideas, just waiting on some info on one so I can weigh my options.

Either I make Sakurako as a "Field Scientist" capable in defending herself, and in developing technology.
Or I make Youko, who is a talented (and Nova Enhanced) gunslinger with freakish skill as a driver and pilot.

Alright just to confirm my concept I will be playing Jason Grant, a 19 year old farm boy. His powers largely revolve around quantum manipulation; Disrupt, Imprint, Leach and Regeneration but he's also shown that he can focus raw quantum into a lethal blast with difficulty. Jason is also mildly telekinetic. On the Mega Attribute side of things he has Mega Dex with Physical Prodigy, Mega Int with Eidetic Memory, and Mega Perception with Quantum Attunement.

Here is a picture of him.

GP1QGsY.jpg

Justin - Just because there have been some surprises for people going with RAW instead of the common house rules used around here, I'd like to ask: On Science, the RAW are that you have a general Science rating and then all the branches and whatnot are just taken as Specialties. Is this what we're doing or are we going with the house rule that Science must be restricted down to at least one of the three broad disciplines when taken (biology, physics, chemistry)?

I've not decided on a name yet , but my PC will be a fire controller. Aside from the staple: "Hur, dur, I have Quantum Bolt: Fire!" He will use heat and flame to inflict a variety of ailments such as using heat stroke to blind and nauseate victims, inflict fatigue and burn away defenses (by removing their attributes or soak powers). Quantum Construct will allow him to create fire 'pets' and Elemental Mastery will allow him to control plasma, allowing to sculpt his pets in any manner he chooses.

At the moment he's an East Coast guy living in the Keys with his rather large Haitian 'uncle' 'Bad Daddy' Kane. They run a very successful restaurant/bar/hot spot on one of the piers" 'Bad Daddy's BBQ'. It serves everything from Haitian cuisine to some American favorites like ribs, burgers and steaks that taste so good you'll wanna slap yo' grand ma. Yes... the fire controller works at a BBQ place... what of it?

the Character shall be Nathaniel Delacosta, and here are the stats:

[spoilertag: the stats]

Nathaniel De La Costa

Attributes/Mega-attributes: +1 NP

STR: 2 CHA: 2 PER: 4/1

DEX: 3 MAN: 2 INT: 5/1

STA: 3/1 APP: 2 WIT: 4/1

Will: 7 Quantum: 5 (+14 bp) Taint: 3

Abilities: +1 NP

Athletics 1, Awareness 2, Investigation 2, Academics 4, Engineering 5, Computers 4, Subterfuge 1, Science 5 (Earth Sciences + specialty), Science (Physics) 2, Survival 1, Linguistics 1, Resistance 4

Backgrounds:

Node 3, Attunement 1, Backing: Novastar 3, Resources 3

Merits/Flaws:

Vulnerability: Wind-element attacks gain 3 dice (+3)

Enhancements:

Quantum Attunement, Mental Prodigy: Scientific, Quickness, Health

Powers:

Earth Mastery 4 [Techniques: Movement, Shaping, Imprison, Shield]

Magma mastery 2 [Techniques: Lethal Blast, Storm (as in pyroclastic storm)]

Invulnerability (Earth-element attacks) 1*

Invulnerability (Heat-based attacks) 1

Soaks: 3/1/1 against heat or earth: 9/7/7

*Indicates instance of buying a tainted power level

[/spoilertag]

this is a sketch of the character i just did:

gallery_3143_61_125335.jpg

Jay is a skill monkey, rouge type tank. His most powerful offensive power is the ability to make 7 clones and then all 8 of them turning into a swarm that can flow over someone and each do 4L damage (each subject to normal soak). It'd be a good baseline crowd control power, not so useful against other novas.

As for soak, 15-17B, 8-10L (15-17 vs. Kinetic attacks, so long as he has a quantum to spend and makes a std roll), 8-10A (so long as he has a quantum to spend).

But, Jay should be able to get the group into any secure facility on the planet, so long as it isn't protected by a high MInt nova.

...but I don't think I am welcome. If I am mistaken, please let me know.

Don't.

Everyone on this site is welcome to participate in any game. Anyone and everyone is welcome. Stop the self deprecating crap and try and be a part of the community. Every bridge you've burned on this site was because of your inability to play by the rules or respect anyone's reasoning but your own. You did it Sky, no one else. If you want to be a part of the community again, then do it. Show up, post interest, go with the flow and have a good time.

The math is simple. Get to it.

That said...

,, ,,

Justin, this was the first thing that popped in my head when I read your intro for this game... :P (I suck at imbedding videos... just click it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvHxhUyPiq4

Dave - I think Sky was obliquely asking Justin if, as the ST, Justin was willing to have him in the game. In his usual passive-agressive bs manner instead of just actually asking, but there it is.

It is not true that everyone on the site is welcome to play in every game. Some games are by invitation only and others are limited by a list of players the ST has decided they do not want to deal with in their games. As an example, if I am running anything but a blanket-stated open-to-all game, Sky is never welcome in the games I run and I prefer him not to be in the games I play in. That said, it's totally my choice to stay in a game or not if the ST of the game allows him in. :)

,, ,,

Sakurako - Yeah, Science is basically at least three separate skills: Science (Physics), Science (Biology), and Science (Chemistry).

Don't.

Everyone on this site is welcome to participate in any game. Anyone and everyone is welcome. Stop the self deprecating crap and try and be a part of the community...

Dave - I think Sky was obliquely asking Justin if, as the ST, Justin was willing to have him in the game. In his usual passive-agressive bs manner instead of just actually asking, but there it is.

I wasn't being self-deprecating or passive aggressive (those are the filters through which you read my words), but matter of fact. As I recalled Justin has expressed sentiment similar to Mala in the past AND in the past when I've expressed interest in joining games people have exploded at me and threatened to quit if I was accepted, which has caused huge bloody rows that I'd rather not repeat (and I'm sure no one else would either).

Now if I'm wrong that would be great but if you would put yourself in my shoes for a moment you would understand why my default is to assume that I am unwelcome.

That said I immediately fell in love with the setting. It's an Aberrant game with the feeling of Adventure!, what with the various Quantum (Telluric) zones, monsters, and a sense of exploration. So, if I'm wrong and I would be welcome at the table then please do let me know.

If he's that worried about being accepted, perhaps he should wait to talk to Justin. No point in putting a sheet together if Justin doesn't choose to ST for him.

Yeah that was my reason for checking in. I do have an idea in mind that would play well with others. An inner-city youth from LA who managed to survive.

It's been a long time...years since I played in a game here and since the old feuds. The closest I have come since was mutant high where Dave approved my character but I never managed to post before it ended.

All I can say in my own defense is that 6 years is a long time, and I'm not the same SkyLion I was in 2009. As Dawn pointed out though no one else can see that so people still interpret me through that negative filter.

Thank you I will. Was it wrong to ask here though?

Wrong? No. I'll doubt any ST would give you a public answer and asking privately might have saved you embarrassment if he doesn't accept you. Now people will know if you're not in the game that Long is another person whom isn't interested in playing with you. If you don't care about that, I don't think it's a real issue, though.

I'm not embarrassed. It's no secret I'm the village pariah. I figure the only way I'm ever going to overcome that stigma is by being as open as possible. Ultimately even if Long is willing to let bygones be bygones, a game is still a group effort.

In any case I sent a PM.

Archived