[Exalted] Diplomatic Agendas

Heaven's Reach ST

Vera hated this, it was against typical flight preparedness protocols to be flying in a dress uniform with just a terrestrial flight helmet, flight harness, and survival vest... then again she wouldn't need anything even of this formality. As she stepped into the cockpit of the Solar Flare... the Voidfighter that was her right and privilege to pilot, she activated the primary systems.

"Solar Flare, Recognize my command."

"You are Lt. Vera Volkov, Attache to the Marshals, state your command password, you have 12 seconds before anesthene gas is ejected in the cockpit and surroundings..."

"Omicron, Theta, Cereulean, Lotus, Twelve, Zenith, Alpha, Alpha, Seven, Four. Execute."

"You are recognized."

The system came fully online and Vera immediately recognized the cockpit wasn't just one for flying a void fighter after all. There was four rings, and she knew immediately what they were for. She would have to sit in a reclined position, kept in place via restraint fields... this wasn't the cockpit of a fighter, it was a Warstrider's cockpit. But the outside configuration was indeed a fighter... That and the hovering illusory controls as well.

She put on the bracelets at her ankles and wrists and she sat back into what seemed like nothing, but was in fact the physical manifestation of the vehicle in voidfighter mode. She noticed the trace motion bracelets allowed interface with her flight harness.

"I see... This should be a breeze."

"ATC, this is Shadow Slayer Actual, Requesting emergency clearance to launch."

"Affirmative, Lady Volkov."

"Requesting all law enforcement in the area to prioritize the capture and containment of the fugitive.

"Marshals, this is Lady Vera Volkov, I am under Captain Dan Hawkins' command and duly deputized for this mission and to work with the Marshals in future endeavors. Also as a member of House Volkov it is my duty for now to protect the Queen. I need all the intelligence you have on this fugitive's whereabouts so I may intercept her. I can get there the quickest."

Her Voidfighter started up into the air, it's white with dark blue trim air frame was striking compared to the other Voidfighters present at the palace. It's angular frame and other features suggested a throw-back to the days of aeronautic aerial combat...The VTOL system was a breeze to pick up as the Solar Flare started to streak into the skies above the capitol. "I need a Sitrep, immediately."

She looked over her craft's HUD. "Or at the very least a target designation."

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from the beauty of Althea's performance, which was breathtaking in its own regard, Nova felt no other effects from it, as she already had his complete trust, as both his only daughter and crew.   Still there were many within the Audience whom were truly enraptured by it, and among them a Local Military commander who'd been identified as a potential threat for a coup de tat.  

Nova made his way over to him quietly and waited for Althea's performance to end.   "She is a beautiful woman, of so many talents."

The local, Admiral Rostoc, looked on barely registering Nova's presence.  "She is, that performance was the most beautiful thing I have ever beheld."

"You know she is here because your queen called for aid, something you opposed."

He looked at Dan and recognition flooded his face.  "You're the Captain of the ship who destroyed the Gravedigger."

"I am, and the young woman there is my only daughter, and the architect of these talks."

He seemed to withdraw some, and Nova pressed slightly.  "Is it not better that we came?  How many more lives would have been lost had we not arrived and negotiated as we did?"

The old admiral looked at him.  "The Imperials.." 

"Withdrew at my request.   You saw what we did to the Abyssal forces, and those of the Yozi withdrew after seeing the power at our command as well.  The Imperials wisely thought better than to engage, and as you've seen, have stayed true to their word, coming only when invited, and helping defend the system even as we purified and restored the lunar factory."

"We could have done it alone..."  his conviction didn't seem to be there as it had been..

"Oh I know your people possess sufficient spirit to fight and defend what is theirs, but after such war as you fought, with the problems you faced, there was no crime in asking for aid from those who are there to render it."  Dan looked at him.  "It is is wasteful, criminal even, to do otherwise and let your own people suffer, when the aid of others might preserve them."

"You are right, Marshal."   He considered the implications of all Dan had said, and it rolled over him.  "The Queen was right to call upon the Marshals." 

"Yes, She was.  Because she called for aid, the war has ended, your people are safe, you can start to rebuild, in peace."

Rostoc looked at him and bowed his head.  "You have given me much to consider, Marshal Hawkins."

"I only wish to my duty, my job, Admiral.   To bring Order, Justice, and Peace to all Creation.  How much better is it when words and faith can purchase those as opposed to the blood of one's people?"

To that the old Admiral could only nod.  Sensing his work done in this instance, Nova moved on, looking for more from the list of those who might only need the words of a fellow Commander to bring them to the fold, not backed by the power of charms.

"A sit rep?" Kestrel rubbed her nose as if trying to ward off a sneeze. "All right."

"We have a hoverbike being pursued by another one, last seen  going west from the warehouse district towards downtown area. Your target's the lead bike. Plenty of civilians on the scene, so shoot carefully. And I'd recommend getting her before she gets into the big buildings which will make it very hard to follow her in a starfighter without, y'know, smashing into one. Feel free to kill her though. But confirm the kill. She's slippery."

"That enough of a rep for the sit?"

Vera checked the wrist and ankle interfaces, as well as the one that was now around her waist. "Trust me, I can adapt to the situation."

For a moment Kestrel sees and hears an angular white craft whose size barely qualifies to be considered a voidfighter fly overhead from her position. "I'm actually going for a surrender. I want a trial. That and more information about who is targeting my family for assassination."

The Solar Flare keeps high, it's cameras checking the streets. as soon as she spotted the runner, she was going to show her the symbol of House Volkov's resolve to justice. "If she decides to keep running after what I'm going to do... it's on her."

"We already have two live captives," Kestrel sighs. "And one's cooperating willingly. Seriously, don't let her get away because you're trying to get fancy and bring her in alive. We have what we need. She's the last known assassin onworld. You bring her down, and we're out of the danger zone."

(OOC - Aw yeah, Kenny Loggins reference! *air guitar*)

"Ever consider the fact I want to reduce the chance of civilian casualties? I have weaponry on here that is primed for anti-ship, and the cannon on this thing is no joke. Trust me, If this plan works she'll relieve herself in whatever she is wearing..."

"I'm not being fancy, I'm taking into consideration my surroundings and putting everything I can bring to bear into this crisis." She still looked about as she talked, her tone becoming more frustrated as she checked her outer cameras or turned to look out the windscreen. "She's just on a hover-bike anyways... not like I'm going after a hover-tank or stolen voidfighter."

She looked for the tell-tale signs of someone speeding, traffic being moved aside trying to return to a normal flow, any accidents, anything that gave away the fact she had gone through.

Activating Keen Sight, 3 motes
1st Awareness Excellency, spending 2 motes for 
+2 dice on the roll
[Rebecca OOC] 8:32 pm: Krul, I was about to head out, 
but mind if I make the perception checks now to spot 
that darned fugitive?
Rebecca OOC *rolls* 11d10: 9+2+2+4+4+8+1+10+3+9+1: 53
[Rebecca OOC] 8:36 pm: IS the target 7 or 8 in Exalted?

5 Sux.

After the queen had removed the privacy field, Methis set to work.  Between that time and the time of the Lady Althea's dance, he had been moving among the people, making small talk.  Slowly but surely, he was completing the work that he had begun even before meeting any of these people.  The diplomatic agenda was many things.  Ambitious.  Pragmatic.  Secret was not, and never had been one of them.  How fortunate that this was the case.  Since his arrival he had moved among the various camps, discussing different pieces.  Naturally he had always been in support of the Marshalls and their effort.  He hadn't always found sympathetic ears, but he at the very least planted the ideas of conformity and trust in the back of their minds.  At the time, naturally such things mean little.  However, their opinions at the time was not were not what Cygnis Methis was concerned with.

As the Sidereal girl began to dance, he paused and watched for a moment, joining his current conversational partner in a quiet admiration of the dance itself.  He smiled warmly in her direction.  This was perfect.  He looked at the mortal beside him, some dignitary from a neighboring system or some such.  He watched the mortal stare, slack-jawed at the performance.  It was time.

As her dance drew to a close, the music played on still and he approached the dancer.  He offered a polite, professional, bow of introduction, his own Essence flaring up to match her own, the brilliant combination of colors, representing Sol Invictus and the Maiden of Serenity,  amazing to behold.  Taking her hands and moving with the time of the music, he began to dance with her.  A close, passionate dance that was equaled in its inspiration only by the perfect magnificence of the dancers.

As they danced, he held her close and whispered into her ear.  "Ask and ye shall receive, Althea."  They moved in perfect time, their animas mixing together to form patterns of incredible splendor.  "It is clear to these people now that the successful conclusion of these talks is in their best interest".  A dip, a spin, a god and a goddess performing for all the world to witness and adore.  "None would dare interrupt such an important event"

As the piece drew to a close, it was all but impossible for those assembled to do much of anything but stand in awe, amazed at the wonder they had just witnessed,  Althea and her invocation of the Maiden, along with Methis and his own anima in full radiance (not quite totemic, but getting there).

The discussions were all but over and they hadn't even begun yet..

===========================================

Charm Shenanigans

OOC:  Two things happening here.  First, spending peripheral essence, 10 motes, and 1 willpower to activate Husband-Seducing Demon Dance.  Spending 10 personal essence to augment as much as possible (Manip 5 + Performance 5 + Essence 10 = 20 dice, adding Appearance (9) as bonus dice for a total of 29.  

[23:57] <Hyoseph> !roll 29d10
[23:57] <GameServ> Hyoseph rolled 29d10: 5 3 4 1 4 1 10 1 10 1 5 4 8 7 9 9 4 10 7 1 6 3 5 9 7 7 3 1 6  <Total: 151>

14 Successes to set the MDV, and a reminder (just in case) that individuals resisting are at a penalty of the difference between Methis's appearance (9) and their own to a max penalty of -6

Important note:  Most of the party isn't here and honestly if it's possible, Methis would be excluding Dan from the effects of the Demon Dance.  The vast majority of the people in here, he only wishes them to fall for what he (honestly if it's possible, Althea since she's dancing with him, and he as a secondary) represent, which is the source from which all amazing ideas come from.  Certain individuals, being the women in power that are either Exalted or simply very attractive and influential, he would be using the traditional mode of the Demon Dance.

And that's just part one.
---------------------------------------------------
Part two is spending 10 additional personal essence, two more willpower, and enough from his Peripheral pool to finish paying for the charms,  (He's going full anima, might as well) to use Wise-Eyed Courtier Method on the social group itself, excluding the Queen, and noting specifically that he, Dan, and Althea are not technically part of this group.  Followed up by Taboo-Inflicting Diatribe.

Wise-Eyed Courtier Method: Inspiring the Belief that the diplomatic negotiations going off without a hitch is good for everyone's best interest.
Manipulation 5 + Socialize 5 + 5(excellency)  = 15 dice, 

[00:19] <Hyoseph> !roll 15d10
[00:19] <GameServ> Hyoseph rolled 15d10: 3 8 4 4 8 6 4 9 7 7 9 2 10 1 6  <Total: 88>

8 successes - Magnitude/2 (assuming result is 1, given the size of the room) = 7, vs MDV of group's leader (with adjustments as above based on appearance)

Taboo-Inflicting Diatribe: Instilling the Taboo/Fad against contradicting either Althea or Cygnis Methis in the negotiations.  They are the final authority.
Manipulation 5 + Socialize 5 + 5(excellency)  = 15 dice, 

[00:25] <Hyoseph> !roll 15d10
[00:25] <GameServ> Hyoseph rolled 15d10: 8 8 6 2 5 10 3 8 8 1 5 7 2 1 10  <Total: 84>

9 successes, adjusted as Wise-Eyed Courtier Method.

Go forth!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Chase Sequence

As the solar closed from above, flying within her voidfighter, she was able to insert herself into the aerial traffic from above, and with her enhanced senses and the direction she was given from Kestrel and her team, she was able to pinpoint the fleeing sidereal below, well enough to have her pull up on all of her targeting systems.

The Void fighter was, in fighter configuration, much faster and easier to fly then the hoverbike that Xia was on, and Xia didn't yet know she was being followed by it.  The orichalcum fighter did, however, stand out in traffic to a very high degree.

At this point, Vera can either shoot her down, or try and intercept and capture her, in easier case you need 3 or more successes on your firearms or piloting roll

Diplomatic Dancing

The combined efforts of Althea and Methis mixed together to make a mixture of blue and golden light, shadows from their combined light played against the walls.  The ordinary humans dignitaries didn't have a chance, the energies and charm effects combined between them, especially as Althea added her own charm effects, perfection in life and first performance excellency, pushing the beauty and perfection of her dance to the limits of her ability as an exalt.  Harmony in every step, perfection beyond that of what any mortal was capable of.

The exalted, namely the dragon blooded within the gathering had more ability to resist, but even they could not shield against the effects of both serenity and eclipse combined, those most able to resist the effects were the ones who were excluded from the full force of the effects, and Dan was working to persuade the old warriors who were the most resistant to this treaty, adding his own efforts to those of his daughter and newest ally among the solars, while the Queen was working on those of her courtiers who were most resistant. 

As the dance came to an end, and the work on the treaty itself was now to begin as Althea and Methis began to move toward a equitable agreement and Althea turned to Methis.  "If  you would, Prince Methis, put this agreement into writing and seal in before queen and court, that we might all come to equitable agreement this day?"

At this point, only the assassin can stop the treaty from happening as desired by the marshals, specifically Methis and Althea, and even then, only by killing the key members involved, so more or less, the diplomatic goals have been reached.  Althea is giving Methis a chance to use solar linquistics charms to embed effects into the original treaty and to bind everyone to agreement to the treaty with the eclipse anima effect... which will more or less put the nail in the coffin so to speak.

"We have a hoverbike being pursued by another one, last seen  going west from the warehouse district towards downtown area. Your target's the lead bike. Plenty of civilians on the scene, so shoot carefully. And I'd recommend getting her before she gets into the big buildings which will make it very hard to follow her in a starfighter without, y'know, smashing into one. Feel free to kill her though. But confirm the kill. She's slippery."

Zed felt compelled to chime in.

"'Pursued' is such a strong word, Kes- er, Night HunterrRRROWSHIT."

The name-turned-callsign-turned-curse was prompted by a drift into the wrong lane of sky traffic that he narrowly corrected in time to avoid becoming a stain on the other motorist's windshield. Seriously Zed. Not now Other Zed. How can you be competent enough to get a shuttle to orbit but not know how to pilot a damned hoverbike? Did you sleep through driver's ed? Yes.

Trying to effect a course correction as though he were piloting a sub-orbital shuttle was proving to be a far more difficult endeavor than he would have guessed. Especially with the rush-hour traffic that was being further complicated by the diplomatic party that he was ostensibly undercover to try to protect.

"Ahem. Yeah, I ah... I think I can barely see where she might have gone but there's a big ol' chimichanga-roll delivery truck in the w- wait, did I hear that correctly? There's going to be an airstrike?"

HOLY SHIT! Yeah, Zed, let's get out of here. LIKE HELL OTHER ZED THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT!

With newfound impetus that a certain Solar trainer would have rolled her eyes over while muttering something to the effect of "'bout fucking time", Zed corrected his course and resumed the chase.

"She's a Sidereal," Kestrel adds. "So don't expect it to be TOO easy. Good luck."

"Understood... Obliterate her then." She said, locking on her long-range canon on her. "Time to strike the killing blow..."

She knew the sidereal would try to evade, so this had to end, NOW.

She locked the cannon to the vehicle and fired off a shot, but not before putting a little English on the shot. "Should have picked something with an ejection pod, child..."

Spending 5 motes for +5 Firearms (1st Firearms Excellency)
Spending 2 Motes for Nova Shell Ordinance

10 Motes remaining
Rolls
Firearms roll to fire cannon at +5
   [Rebecca OOC] 6:23 pm: So... 
Firearms+Dexterity+(+5)First Firearms Excellency... 15d10
Rebecca OOC *rolls* 15d10: 2+8+10+1+7+1+3+7+9+8+7+9+3+2+1: 78
   [Rebecca OOC] 6:23 pm: What is the number to beat, 7?
   [Rebecca OOC] 6:24 pm: HEllo?
[HyosephWorking] 6:24 pm: firearms is yes, Dex + Firearms
   [Rebecca OOC] 6:25 pm: I'm gonna take it's 7... That is 
8 successes...

Correction, 9

Vera unloads her first shot, it's blast shining with a searing light...

Solar Flare Remaining Motes: 27/30
Vera Remaining Motes: 10/22

Chase

The blast from the Voidfighter took Xia completely by surprise, she hadn't even noticed that she had been tailed by the fighter, so distracted had she been by escaping Zed's chase.  The Sidereal assassin had begun to relax at this point, fairly certain she had gotten away, when the blast from Voidfighter's cannons struck both her and the bike she was riding, the precision and force of the blast enhanced as it was by Vera's charms was perfect, and energy of the blast destroyed both bike and rider, leaving nothing but blood, bone and wreckage to fall down to the streets below.  Leaving it to Vera and Zed to comfirm the kill and move on.

Vera switched to warstrider and hovered to a landing turning on the system's lights and making darn sure everyone else knew where she was.

As she came down, she radioed over her com system. "Command... this is Shadow Slayer. I guess the only kill I know is overkill. She's done like dinner. I'm landing at the crash site to confirm... Zed you said you were coming on-scene... you can't miss me now, I got my landing lights and the SAR lights on. Meet up with me here and... have something that can at least collect some DNA."

She adjusted her dress uniform as the gleaming orichalcum machine landed on it's feet. It took some time to unhitch from the mecha, and climbing out just as she could see Zed's ride approach. Vera activated the security system, locking up the cockpit once she was outside and drifted down to ground level, the sound of her dress shoes barely audible over the din of the traffic swerving around the well-lit Warstrider.

The smell of spilled hydraulics and cooked flesh was familiar but still unpalatable. She actually held back her stomach contents from it.

"Tell her Majesty, depending on verification, The Throne is safe."

The Treaty was done, and for many the Ball was over, inasmuch it had served its purpose.   This would be the last dance of the evening, and among all those there, there was one person most of all Nova sought out.

He found his daughter Althea surrounded as normal, conversing happily with  courtiers who complimented the sublime performance she'd given, and her navigating tricky negotiations with such aplomb.   He waited for a lull in the conversation and called to her.  "Althea."   his voice carried the cultivated tone of a ship's captain, but it wasn't barking or hard.  She looked to him.  "They're playing the last song, and I'd like you to dance it with me."

In some circles such a thing would be scandalous, but the way he spoke, there was no lust, just the desire of a father to dance with his daughter.   She nodded politely, and took the hand he'd offered.   

He quietly led her to the dance floor, where while perhaps not as gracefully as she, the Armor-clad Solar danced with his Sidreal daughter.   He smiled at her, moving so surprisingly well.  "You've done an amazing job, Aura will approve greatly, Althea.   I am very proud of you."  

She looked up at him and smiled.  "Thank you Father."   There was something in his eyes for a moment, and Nova spoke softly as they danced in time to the last waltz.  "Your mother loved to dance."   Said as such, it was not Nova, but Dan, her real father speaking.   She wisely said nothing. "That Dance you performed tonight, I know she'd have been so happy to see her love flower so fully in you, and the sheer beauty of your performance.  Thank you Althea, for such a gift."   The memory of it obviously touched a chord in him.

He smiled as they danced, and then as it ended, he hugged her gently.  "Thank you for that Althea, and for all you have done for me, as a Captain, and your Father.  You make me very proud, and know that I will always love you."

There was a glimmer in his eye, and then it was gone, and she could tell, Nova was back, but for the span of a dance, She had her father back.  Perhaps Fate was being cruel, perhaps kind, it was for her to see as she would.

Pitch, yaw, tillllohcrapstraight

It had gotten to the point where there was only one life-threatening near-miss every five minutes or so. Trying to think of it like taking a shuttle through a junkyard zone was helping marginally, but by and large, he was quite happy to be out of the main traffic highway.

Passing a convenience store peddling cut-rate tobacco products, he gingerly turned the corner and stopped short, prompting a squeal of brakes from the taxi that was tailgating him and a long string of Low Realm curses that would have make him lean forward and take notes if he weren't flabbergasted at the sight of the bipedal voidfighter standing over the blazing wreck of what had once been a jetbike.

Ka-fucking-boom!

Stepping onto the blessed terra firma, the ugly little dragon-blood doffed the too-large helmet that he'd grabbed in a panic during the onset of the "chase" and tossed it aside, ignoring the yowl of some feline thing in response.

Although he wasn't quite as round as when he'd first been conscripted by the Marshals (and why the hell can't I remember exactly who it was that voluntold me?), his head still resembled a baked potato, and the expression of dumbfounded awe did nothing to convince any onlookers that he wasn't just a blubbering moron.

"So... uh... I'm Zed and I'm with the Marshals. Uh... nice shot?"

Vera grunted. Half bored, half annoyed. She spat away from the wreck into the gutter. Mostly in disgust at the smell. Then again she's smelled this before. She's had a few tear-ups on the terrestrial end of things and the smell of a smoking wreck doesn't easily leave memory. The contrast of her dress uniform's still mostly neatly pressed appearance was betraying the signs of sweat and effort, starting to stain the "intended for show" fabric.

"Name's Lieutenant Vera Volkov. Duchess, and Last of the 21st Royal Guard Squadron. Now with the Marshals."

What was shocking, was this otherwise half-way decent looking woman smiled, extending her hand to Zed in greeting. "Pleased to make your acquaintance."

"And I hope you know how to find body parts in this smoldering wreck... I'm a pilot not a coroner."

For all of Zed's unfortunate appearance, his showing up and greeting her more as a colleague than as a member of a royal house was... refreshing.

Taking the hand with a paw that was slighty sweaty from gripping the unfamiliar handlebars too tightly, he returned the pilot's greeting.

"Copper Palm Zed. Grifter, scumbag, occasional undercov-"

Wait, Duchess? A Marshal? Howwhawho

The lumpy Dragon-blood ran a hand over his thinning hair and re-assessed the pilot. She seemed to be standing at military rest and her dressy uniform was slightly rumpled and starting to show sweat stains. Her previously coifed hair now had the evidence of having been in a helmet. The fire was giving off too much light and destroying his night vision, so he couldn't tell if she was wearing any makeup, but was willing to bet that if she were, it would have been smudged with having been under a flight mask.

Casting a glance back to the wreck, he saw the remains of a hoverbike and a gleaming, bipedal voidfighter standing over it, looking for all the world like some ancient knight watching its opponent on a funeral pyre.

"Damn," he drawled, drawing out the first syllable, "Your royalty doesn't mess around, does it?"

"Actually... it's my fate in life to be un-lady like I'm afraid. This was the soldier in me talking." She said pointing to the burning ruin she created. "Someone threatened the life of the throne and the lives of my compatriots. I will respond in kind."

"Heavens know we have had enough chaos here in my home than I can stomach. Time to start getting things sorted."

After taking her hand from Zed she tossed a handkerchief to him. "Might wanna wipe off your hands, you were pretty white-knuckle I wager getting here. I wager driving is not your strong-suit?"

She was still smiling, although now there was a hint of melancholy in her voice and on her face. This was because she knew after this it was back into her guilded cage. She wanted to fly free, to rise above the clouds to shine unfettered. "Maybe I can show you a few things?"

There was something about Zed... while his appearance completely didn't fit any notion of cute, his behavior was endearing to her. That was cute. She saw that in him. "Never know if I might need you to drive. Or even fly..."

After taking her hand from Zed she tossed a handkerchief to him. "Might wanna wipe off your hands, you were pretty white-knuckle I wager getting here. I wager driving is not your strong-suit?"

Taking the offered kerchief, he began to pat down his sweaty palms.

"There are a great many things that are not my strong suit," he responded with an oafish grin. "Most of them I've been forced to employ in my brief-but-eventful tenure with the Marshals."

She was still smiling, although now there was a hint of melancholy in her voice and on her face. This was because she knew after this it was back into her guilded cage. She wanted to fly free, to rise above the clouds to shine unfettered. "Maybe I can show you a few things?"

There was something about Zed... while his appearance completely didn't fit any notion of cute, his behavior was endearing to her. That was cute. She saw that in him. "Never know if I might need you to drive. Or even fly..."

"It's funny actually. I grew up around a red-lantern district in an Aden III spaceport, so I actually have a better grasp of getting a shuttle airborne than I do of getting a hoverbike not to crash."

With a sigh, he nodded at Vera.

"So uh... I guess we have to try to verify that there's a body in all that?" He gestured vaguely to the wreck of the speeder, which was starting to attract gawkers. "Did you bring gloves?"

Vera pulled out the small first aid kit from her flight vest she was wearing over her dress uniform, and pulled a pair of rubber gloves out. "Just got enough room for one pair in the kit... You can use a stick or something." Vera said, putting her gloves on as she walked to where the majority of the wreck landed.

"Knowing how I hit her... perhaps some of her landed here. This isn't like a wreck of a voidfighter... the body generally stays with the cockpit if the pilot doesn't manage to eject their ejection pod in time. A open top speeder is... quite different, but some of the same things apply... it's just messier."

Vera said what she did in a cold, matter-of-fact tone. As if she's had to do this before.

Screwing his face up in long-suffering misery, Zed cast about for something that could cover his hands. Finding nothing, he covered his face with a palm and muttered.

"And if this were as much of a comedy as the rest of my life, we'd fade out and I wouldn't have to do this."

He removed his hand. The grisly scene was still there.

"No such luck," he sighed, setting about the grim task of sorting through wreckage and looking for the assassin's giblets.

Being the comic relief sucked.

It had been at least an hour since the negotiations had been finalized.  The passage of time ultimately meaning little in the context of the salon, mostly an indication that Cygnis Methis was free to access his Essence pools without concerning himself with his anima waxing totemic again.  It was a phenomenal effect and most impressive, but it was one of those things that had a nasty tendency of blowing apart resembling subtlety in ones' craft like chaff before the wind.

The negotiations themselves largely went the only way they could have gone.  His way.  After all, it's no secret that everyone has a talent, especially among the Chosen of the Sun.  Captain Hawkins was a master of arms, Duchess Volkov was an ace pilot, he could talk.  And when he talked, everyone listened.  When they listened, so long as their interests aligned with his, they got what they wanted out of the discussion.  They were of course most grateful and felt obligated to repay him however they could.  This was the business.  Work the systems, trade favor for Favor.  It was his business and he was good at it.

The Imperial Admiral Cathak had wanted to have her trading corporation come out ahead in the negotiations, even above the other Dragonblooded Industries.  This was not hard. Gaining a few exclusive trading agreements was child's play.  She knew that he had done this, and she loved him for it.  The Queen herself was relatively simple to please, she had simply wanted to be sure that the agreements being negotiated were solid.  Reliable enough that she could be assured that the earlier conflict would not happen again.   This was simply a matter of enacting the power of his Caste to sanctify any agreement in the eyes of the Unconquered Sun.  She knew that he had done this when he did it and she loved him for it.

The list went on and on.  Men and women, aristocrats and commanders, everyone who had been present for the invocation of awe and wonder that had been the performance and everyone who had all but staked their souls on the outcome of the negotiation itself.  The trickiest part of all of it had been to do all of this and still dodge the public spotlight.  He had made out like a bandit in this deal, his network of contacts and backers expanding dramatically.  In order to do it again, however, he needed to shift the credit elsewhere.

Fortunately for all involved, there was one last person who had a vested interest in seeing her treaty work smoothly.  The most dangerous game of them all thus far, the Sidereal Althea.  For her part, she had simply wanted people to  be proud of her.  She had wanted her name to be affixed to the arrangement itself.  Unlike him, she had an interest in being known.  She wanted to be the Diplomat.  Methis was fine with this.  So she wanted it, so it would be.  He had his allies, his supporters, and his lovers.  She had her victory.  This was her price.  This was her heart's desire.  And he had delivered it, and she was most welcome.

Archived