Mutants & Masterminds:If I started a Second Game...

Sailor OOC

What do people like? Both in terms of System and in terms of Setting? I honestly feel I can run a second game. I am solid on this.

A few things, perhaps this would help in finding something.

1: I prefer modern/futuristic settings.

2: I like a balance between interaction and action.

3: I'm not a fan of grimdark, but don't mind post-post apocalypse settings (in other words the bad stuff happened, we've gotten better).

4: I am comfortable with Mutants and Masterminds, FATE Accelerated, BESM, and I have a few home-brewed systems that work.

5: I love lighthearted settings, and I've always wanted a "break" setting for folk who want a light, fun, and not so serious thing to play.

Opinions? Also note I am loving Alabaster Academy and I can't wait to go forward more with it!

In part the reason I keep coming back here is this is just about the only community I know of left on the web where Aberrant is even considered.

Hopefully, when Onyx Path releases their version of Aberrant, you'll have more options.

As for other games - I can't really say. So long as I have a super hero game, I'm content. I can't think of anything that I HAVE to see run here...

Onyx path has its own PbP forum opened, but there only seems to be one Scion and one AEON Trinity-based game starting there. Most of what's going on appears to be WOD-related though. I agree with Skylion though, my main interests are Aberrant and Scion. Everything else is great but those are the two I'd like to play the most.

Seems so far Aberrant is the overarching thread here...

Also I won't know anything about the new Aberrant for quite some time. I'm not going to anticipate it, I'll just run with the old until I see that the new is easily adapted to my needs.

Another Thought: Would people like a lighter fare of game? My other Game, AA, is serious for the most part although optimistic. I thought of perhaps starting something that was a bit rambunctious and fun for everyone involved... a basic plot, open for all to have fun in, but ST controlled.

Light hearted Aberrant might be fun. I just thought of Last Action Hero, where the kid went into the movie. That wouldn't be out of the box, and depending on what movie could be a light hearted story complete with opportunities for moments of real drama. A movie, comic book, novel... any sort of travel like that. Would explain where the powers came from too...

That's just an idea though, take it or leave it.

Yay! I love playing the character I want!

And...the character I want to play is one who will play well with others.

Any idea on starting NP? More than 30 would be awesome, but I'm leery of starting with anything more than 60, or dealing with Q6+ in any fashion.

I'm not touching Quantum 6 with a 10 foot pole until someone in the game shows they can handle the responsibility of that power. Also if I ran something in the world of Aberrant (so I may rip it apart with my players) it would be early where the Teragen and PU don't yet exist. Yes I'm infringing on Razor's Edge here, but it's not happening and that's a dropped ball. It's an idea that had potential, but I'm going to put my spin on it. I want to deconstruct Aberrant.

Yes, I got another game going, going to still focus on getting it going.It shouldn't be hard to have this going too as I would have to play off more what the players do in this than in Alabaster Academy where I have more things for the players to encounter, and I have more of a plot network that the players can use.

I have a plot for this idea in my head, but I am almost look forward to seeing how the players dismantle it with their actions.

How can people show you they can be trusted with something if you don't give it to them? That statement is like saying: "I'm not going to buy you a dog until you prove to me you can take care of one." It's sort of hard to prove you can care for a dog when you don't have a dog.

I think that analog doesn't fit at all. Also as ST (although right now of a game that doesn't exist yet) I have the right to manage the game. Last I'll say on the matter of Q6 and how to earn it.

I'll take matters with Q6 into consideration... after all the players at some point will be at the levels of Mal and Pax, I intend for it to reach that level. Thing is, at the very least the Pax and Mal that would be encountered would be very much lower than their prime. I do feel that Q6, with management, can be used. But the leap from 4 to 5 is not as major as 5 to 6.

It shouldn't be about "I have the XP so I'm buying it." The journey matters more.

I would hope this is the only real seriousness in regards to this idea.

After further consideration, and seeing that I want to run something that people can enjoy and not get into rules arguments, I don't think I will run Aberrant. I don't want this to be about power levels and reality breaking power. If I wanted that I'd play DBZ in BESM.

So... no Aberrant.

Anything else? At this point I'm taking suggestions for system/world... noting what I said in the first post. And yes I removed Aberrant and replaced that with BESM.

That should be telling where Aberrant is with me now.

Ah well, too bad...

I actually have a home game character that got to Q7 through Chrysalis, and I found something interesting out once that happened: Namely that you no longer have the motivation to use that kind of power overtly. It's as if the very act of attaining that level of power, kills the want to use it... You join a club full of people who could destroy the world but won't because that's where they keep all their stuff.

It seems kewl to have "reality rewrite" as a power set on your character sheet, but in practice you enter an automatic armistice with whatever other beings of ridiculous power that exist in the world. My own character got around this by becoming a political force rather than a living spazer cannon.

You seem to have misgivings about whether the average player is mature enough to handle such world-shattering power, and I don't blame you. However, the problem tends to resolve itself in practice, so you actually don't have to worry. Still, if you don't want to fill the void left by Razor's Edge then that's your prerogative... :)

Ah crap.

And here I was finally looking forward to it. My solution is more along the lines of writing Q6+ out of the game entirely. There is *plenty* to do in the 1-5 range.

Sorry that my earlier comment seems to have botched the idea entirely.

:sadface:

Maybe some day I'll get to play Aberrant again...

:(

,, ,,

Edit...if you are ST no one can argue with you.

That is absolutely not true. People shouldn't argue with the ST (reasonably present ideas, yes) but they do all the time. And Aberrant does lend itself to some vast chasms between player interpretation and ST interpretation.

Well, if it's not Aberrant, I guess the next played system is M&M. That was in your list of familiar systems. I could do a lighthearted character in that system, though I still find my idea of clone/homunculus interesting.

I'll say interested, depending on where the chips fall on setting, system & style.

M&M (as I love the system) and BESM (because dammit I love it too) are having a nice little battle royal.

Either or I can run my next idea. I just need a good fluff to the setting... It'll be modern times, I know that, so keep that in mind.

After Jordan introduced me to something that was written up for FATE Core, suddenly FATE is in the running. Although I wouldn't run the setting that I found the material in as it felt like Shadowrun with Capes and Tights. But... the mechanics were intriguing.

Note I am thinking of something that can be run at a entry-level (for new and old players alike) of complexity that many people have access to. As such BESM has dropped from my radar. It's now between M&M and FATE.

Actually it might be time to call an audible here, kids.

1: Magic Earth is pretty much stillborn (with legit reasons all around), but many brilliant characters came from it.

2: I'm not sure exactly who built what, but does everyone still have their characters?

3: PL 8 is a very decent game for any setting.

So, with now knowing I'm going to have naught but time on my hands, if Carv doesn't mind me playing rescue here and see if I can create a different setting and allow characters to slot into it from this game? It seems to me we were forming a band of mercenaries, and a paramilitary supers game sounds intriguing.

Note it might take -some- background repair to make characters fit my setting as it would be quite different from Dawn's game, and I would expect probably one or two characters might not convert. But I want to make a honest try here.

Also I just realized that I might want to raise the power level to PL 10 for this game. We already got a PL 6 and a PL 8 game, and I think we only got one active PL 10 game and that is a pretty player saturated game.

Seems fair enough... if anyone thinks their original concept can't scale to PL 10, or their background can't really change, then having a +1 from someone not interested in the now defunct game I'm pulling characters/players from is a good thing.

Any others?

Okay it's obvious that some things that have happened that have led me to believe that the only way I'm going to either get a supers for hire or a super mercenary setting is to "run it". Yet it is plain to see that no one trusts me to run anything like that at all.

So... is there anyone here with the time and energy that could run that?

• 1 month later...

So I made a post talking about how I'd be down for a Fate game, and then I realized that I hadn't looked at page 2.

Unfortunately, I'm a shitty GM. I don't have the experience, and so far it's been an annoyance (in a PbP environment anyway; I can fake my way through tabletop).

Well I have ideas. Sadly with my track record I would probably only get one or two people.

Although to be honest my last game was doing okay until I did the split. Then half the group suddenly fell quiet at a point where I was about to have plot go off.

If I ran Fate though, it would be the Accelerated form of Fate. If you don't know about it, Evil Hat has it availiable on their site. Also I am willing to try Mutants and Masterminds again.

I'm familiar with Fate Accelerated; I prefer Fate Core, but Accelerated is alright.

If you decide to run it, I'm still game. Bad track record notwithstanding. Even if it falls apart, it'll give me an excuse to make another character. And making characters is at least 25% of the fun for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I might do the second game as a Aberrant game. I have a feeling it might be needed. That and losing Razor's Edge makes me want to take a crack at running something. Either that or start breathing life into Cosmos Nova again.

Archived