[Exalted - Side Thread]Arts & Crafts Redux

Hyoseph

When: Day One After The Battle Over Kry'sta'tor

Where: Centerpoint Temple, Cultural Center of Singularity and Throne World of Janos Tem

--------------------------------------------

Standing in the midpoint between the two primary wings of Centerpoint Temple, Janos deftly manipulated the control arrays at his disposal. Arcs of controlled Wyld energy arc'd between the wings as they were set to work. The tasks he was setting in motion were, in a word, mundane when compared to the femtotechnological wonders that the facility was capable of, but he simply did not have the time or inclination to concern himself with matters of pride and poetry. There was work to be done and while it did not yet involve the construction of phenomenal wonders of power and grandeur, this was easily the single most appropriate and, more importantly, most efficient course of action.

Sevus Torm, the Defiler he had recruited from the Demon's Reach was assisting him, while Thaya, his Lieutenant and concubine would be joining them shortly. With his acting as a second and sometimes third pair of hands, Janos was able to bring the accelerating abilities of an Atelier-manse to bear. Gears and pulleys spinning and turning faster and faster, only accelerated further by the Wyld energies coursing through the air.

An army of servants, easily a thousand strong formed a base of instrastructure in support of a smaller contingent of demons, many of them dedicating their very existences to sating the needs and urges of the demons to fuel the infernal machine and the wonders that it was being made to produce.

it was through this abominable convergence of slavery, heresy, and pure technological daring melded into an insane concert, its conductor working the forces of creation itself up to such a frenzied pace as to stretch the boundaries of possibility to their breaking point.

Which was, in fact, the idea.

Once the system had been brought to its highest speed, its fastest and most efficient form, Janos lashed out at one of the control panels, locking the manse and its assemblies into this breakneck pace, which it would maintain until its programmed tasks were completed.

Having locked the pattern and process, Janos stepped back from his work. Systems of phenomenal power flew at a speed that would have been unheard of if not being directed by one of the Chosen. In fact, a lesser individual may have been brought to a sweating, panting wreck by such an acceleration. Janos Tem had given up such weakness a long time ago.

Turning to Sevus, he spoke only two sentences before departing through the Silver Mist Gateway, back to the Star's Vengeance: "Notify me when it is completed. I will return in time."

He had better things to do.

When: A day and a bit after the Abyssals got their expensive boat destroyed

Where: Space, near the Star's Vengance

A com signal opened between the Dawn's Wrath and the Star's Vengance, on Karren's private security frequency.

'Star's Vengeance, this is Security Chief Gaunt of the Dawn's Wrath. I'd like to talk to Captain Janos about our ghost problem and how to deal with it. Face to face aboard his ship I mean so that other people won't overhear. It's important. I can make the swim myself in a few minutes if you don't go darting off on me or try to blow me up, so no worries there. So... Permission to come aboard?'

The big Lunar kept the signal open, leaning against the bulkhead of the deserted corridor leading to the portside maintenance airlock, waiting for an answer and dressed casually in tan tanktop, green pants, and black boots, hair in a messy ponytail. Her looming, already attractive form radiated the inhuman beauty of her new hearthstone, Karren greatly enjoying the extra little dash of positive focus she got from the mortal crewmen and women now that she had mounted the magical gem in her swirling moonsilver tattoos. Life was good, and she hoped Janos was in the mood to play host so that they could make it even better together.

The chamber Janos occupied was in the midst of a swirling vortex of silver-white sand, For his part, Janos's meditations were demonstrations in precision and endurance. His mortal form--what was left of it--wanted for some of the basic necessities of human life, those which he had not surpassed long beforehand. It was a steadily shrinking list.

When the notification that the Star's Vengeance was being contacted by Security Chief Gaunt came through, he allowed the vortex to die down before rising to his feet. Instructing his crew to grant permission, he ordered a gathering of all individuals not occupying mandatory stations to come together in the docking bay. They would be greeting a Celestial Exalt and there would be appropriate ceremony. Afterwards, once Janos and his guest had departed, there would be an accounting. Roll would be taken and those who were not present or otherwise assigned would be punished. Harshly.

Janos himself carried a number of hearthstone sockets affixed to different aspects of his clothing, both inside and out. Among which was the Stone of Humble Glory. A strangely named stone, but effective. Janos personally was not remotely humble. He was correct. There was no need for exaggeration when the truth of a matter was of such a scale to warrant attention.

As the lintha gathered on the landing dock, he approached personally, Thaya attending to him, Sevus personally remaining back to keep tabs on the construction projects under way.

Karren started the crossing from the Dawn's Wrath to the Star's Vengeance once she got the go ahead with as little formality as 'I'm going dancing between the stars for a bit, honey. Don't wait up for me.' over the coms to Dan and a step into the airlock. Hair mussed by the evacuation of air from the chamber, she silently laughed into one hand as the stars came into view with opening doors. A push off against the wall latter and she was spinning out into the void, drinking in the million, million points of light around her and gleaming horizon slowly receding below her.

This view never got old.

She'd dreamt of a seeing it hundred times growing up in the slums of Miranda with no more life expectancy than she could wrest from the next knife fight. Heh. Another glance and the big lunar made out the slightly larger speck of light that was her goal. An act of will and an exhalation of essence and her flesh sprouted a dozen glowing tendrils, clothing vanishing into Elsewhere. She wiggled her new appendages joyfully, feeling the stellar wind they were drinking in and practically begging her kick out again as thrust. Karren concurred and took off, barrel rolling and looping towards the Star's Vengeance.

The big lunar got the biggest shit-eating grin when she saw the reception Janos had put together for her. She put on a final burst of speed as she approached the forcefield holding the air in the docking bay and dissolved the tendrils back into essence. She hit the deck with a tumble and a thud, coming to a halt on one knee a few feet from the Infernal, clothing reappearing. "Man. I'm impressed," she volunteered as she rose to her full height, dusting off her hands, "All this for me, Captain? And who's your friend? Her name escapes me at the moment."

"All this for me, Captain? And who's your friend? Her name escapes me at the moment"

Janos added another instance of misapplied titles and nomenclature to the long list he was keeping. For his part, he held himself with military stillness as she approached and reformed. She had grown more beautiful since they had last met. No small feat, of course, since they had last met just 24 hours prior. Thaya, for her part, shifted and moved off to the side, standing facing 90 degrees from Janos's position.

"Karren, this is Captain Thaya, The ship is hers."

Thaya straightened a bit, a no small amount of pride visible on her smile, still very much the pirate.

"As for the question of 'all this'..." Janos stepped to the side and motioned for Karren to come with him, turning a full 180 degrees as soon as she was beside him and started walking, the rest of the crew immobile. "You will find that we do things much differently here than on a Marshall or Imperial vessel. The Exalted, from the greatest Infernal or Solar divinity to the lowliest of the Dragon-Blooded host, are so far beyond the scale and potential of lesser beings that some even fail to comprehend us. It is only right that we be given the respect and deference that is our right"

As they approached the hangar door, he paused and turned back towards the crew and its Captain.
"Captain Thaya, begin the accounting. There will be no casualties but beyond that requirement, I leave the stragglers in your capable hands."

With that, he turned and was through the door, presumably Karren was with him.

"So what brings you to my ship, Security Chief Gaunt?"

After offering Captain Thayla a final apologetic salute, Karren caught up to Janos with a few long strides, golden eyes looking up at the ceiling as she worked out an opener.

"Something pretty simple actually. There is no way in creation I and at least a few other people in the Circle are going to be ready to punch ghosts in six days time, even with help from Dan's hired consultant to shave time off of polishing our mundane skills. You though, I'm pretty sure you know a trick or two towards that end, and I'd love to be able present Dan with another solution or two he can use to make things going more smoothly whether or not he chooses to do so. Then it's his fault if he fails to take the opportunity for whatever reason."

She grinned down at the Infernal, "Superior beings though we are, we all have our skill sets. And your skill sets are probably more useful than mine in the fight ahead I'll freely admit. So what do you got in the ghost killing department, wondermaker?"

Janos simply listened as the Lunar spoke at length on the issues that the rest of Captain Hawkins' entourage had. It seemed that the good Captain intended to go off and battle the remnants and the blighted Manses sooner, rather than later. It was not hard to grasp. When thinking like a hammer, one must pound the nails. Regardless of the practicality or priority of the action. He must be bored, or feeling terribly heroic at the moment.

"I do not generally concern myself with the undead, Karren. Those that are fool enough to enter my dominion find themselves being set upon on both the material and immaterial front as a matter of process.

"With regards to the topic of the rest of the Chosen and their ability to strike out at ghosts, or more appropriately, lack thereof, such things are simple. With access to something as simple as your hearthstone amulets I could enable you to strike them with impunity. It would be through harnessing of infernal energies and bending what could be considered on some level a living being to your will, but unless there is some sort of moral or ethical dilemma that prevents such things, that is a simple matter.

"Has Captain Hawkins expressed a desire to have such items crafted for his crew? Or is this you simply testing to see if such a thing is possible before approaching him with your idea?"

"Me seeing what's possible in the time we have mainly," Karren confessed, "It's my job to find solutions to problems threatening the crew, and *I* like the sound of what you have said so far. We're Exalted, chosen and empowered by the In... Er, the powers that rule the universe to solve it's problems for the greater good of all. Can't let a little thing like squeamishness over demons get in the way of saving the day. You were talking about demons, right?"

"Anyway," Karren finished with a clap of her hands, "I'd like to present a list of ideas to my husband. And I'd like him and the others to use them if they need it. I like the idea of us being able to win the fight ahead of us. Glorious as it'd be, there's no point in attacking a battleship with a hand pistol. Right tools for the right jobs. Nothing irks me more than feeling helpless in a fight. I haven't been helpless in a fight since I was ten. I don't intend to start now."

"The options available are as follows: To either incorporate infernal technology into your current artifacts, many of which allow for the perception of the invisible or incorporeal, and allow then for assault on intangible beings. Or, the conscription of beings whose natural state is incorporeal and force the Dead into materialized states.

"Put most simply, given a week, I do not doubt that I could have some of these things designed and constructed. The issue is that without knowledge that these items will in fact be used, such efforts are not the best utilization of time and resources."

"You have me there. But you have one customer for the first idea, and you can be sure as hell I'll inform the others when I get back to the Dawn's Wrath. What they do with the information is their call. I like the idea of scaring a ghost back into the world with a bigger spirit. Irony," Karren answered, arms crossed over her chest, "The good kind. Not the annoying kind."

"Regardless what the others decide, I'd consider it a huge favor if you could get me something to see and hurt ghosts with by the time we do this. I do have a freshly looted soulsteel direlance you could tinker with. What do you say? I'm always game for interesting times," wrapped up the big Lunar.

"I'll be back with it by 1700 hours today. I thought it would be rude to bring a moaning weapon of destruction on a ship whose owner I'm on friendly terms with," Karren responded with a nod and a grin, visibly heartened at the prospect of success, "It's resting in my quarters right now wrapped in a sheet while the machine shop puts together a carrying harness for the thing."

"So. Unless you want to roll out the red carpet again, do you have a side airlock I can use? I have a report to deliver to Dan much as I'd love to take a grand tour."

Archived