Mutants & Masterminds:[DCUO] OOC Thread

Aphrodite Pandemos

So I've been knocking around DCUO a for a while and found that many are interested in the game. So how about we do a game on here of it?

For the uninitiated, some time in the future there is only war in the DC Universe. Lex Luthor aims to kill Superman. And does so! But that was just a mere distraction because Brainiac was stealing powers from all the superheroes. It's not said what happens after that, but Future Luthor steals the exobyte technology and somehow travels to the past to warn Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman (also, possibly himself, the Joker and Circe) that Brainiac is on his way. Future Luthor unleashes the exobyte technology upon the world. New superhumans are made in that very instant. Brainiac then invades present day and starts bottling things up while stealing exobyte infected people. This is where the game starts.

So my idea is to start on the ground. The PCs will be mentorless superhumans (meaning you got off of Brainiac's ship somehow, but didn't answer the call to heroism or are hunted by the villains for retribution for saving you) that stick together in this new world. As for stories, well there's a wealth of missions to draw upon. You can make your own fun doing what the game won't let you do. Gotham and Metropolis are pretty much the epicenter of battles against Brainiac, but his grasp grows larger everyday.

EDIT: My only caveat in character creation is that you have exobytes in you. Thus you are hunted by Brainiac's forces, thus you stick together.

EDIT 2: PL6 90 points. Starting Location will be on one of Brainiac's harvester ships. You will all be in the same room and fight your way off the ship. This will introduce you to each other and give you a way to show off :D

What say you?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay

Question 1: Will this be with M&M?

Question 2: Do we have to have played the game to have any hope of enjoying this?

Question 3: We are playing independents not tied to the JLU or the LoD? (Even though the baddies aren't affiliated with each other I like calling them the Legion of Doom. :P)

I'm pretty sure it'll be Mutants and Masterminds unless the consensus speak up and asks for another system.

No, you do not need to have played the game to enjoy it. It's DC with much more metahumans running around fighting Brainiac's forces and each other :P

In fact, the Hall of Doom is in the game! Present Luthor, Present Joker and Present Circe seem to run the most of it. It's sorta like the Legion of Doom, but much less silly.

I suggest starting it pretty much as the MMO starts. the characters get the Exobyte whammy and wake up in one of Brainiac's ships...time for a break out!

I was actually considering proposing a game based on this myself. I would put the game's PL at PL 6 or 7, no higher than 8. that way the characters will need to work together to take on many of the DC baddies and the characters have lots of growing room.

Actually, let's have a poll. Where do you as players want to start out?

PL6, which is a where i believe the game starts you in the first place. you're beating up thugs or helping out each other to gang up on lower level heroes/villains to take them out. If we do this we'd do 25 points a level and go to level 10.

PL10, You're one of the best with little change in the long run. If we start here i'd do a normal game. 15 points a level up to level 12 which would stop.

Or add your suggestion :)

Why not PL 8? If you want a setting where the characters are growing into their power PL 8 works. Not so squishy that a common thug will have a field day with you, but still have to be careful around the more dangerous elements of the DC universe.

Keep in mind most low-grade DC Universe characters are bordering PL 10. We'd be below that.

But if you want a choice I pick PL 10.

And that is the point. you aren't someone who has had any time at all to train in you powers. you are an average dude off the street who suddenly got super powers and now has to learn how to be a hero on the job. if you are building a special forces characters who gained huge powers then you are missing the point.

And that is the point. you aren't someone who has had any time at all to train in you powers. you are an average dude off the street who suddenly got super powers and now has to learn how to be a hero on the job. if you are building a special forces characters who gained huge powers then you are missing the point.

Not even my point. I was comparing (in chat by the way) the types of characters at certain power levels. PL 5 - 6 is the realm of soldiers, special ops, and the best doctors, lawyers, etc in society. But otherwise normal.

What you are comparing is NPC supporting characters. So you've missed the point of the game. If you want to take a look at the intend of DCUO. take the PL0, 5 point Bystander, then add 85 points to make is a minor PL 6 super.

A bystander has practically nothing to them. You add the extra points and again, you get just a really well trained soldier/doctor/politician. One who has been around the block a few times and can defend themselves in a scrap, but they aren't going to be tossing powers around.

On a note, I would be approving of PL 6 if the threshold is the default 15 PP for a raise of PP. This is Play by Post not a MMO. 30 PP to get a PL raise wouldn't work as most games here only have 5 or 6 threads at 3 PP at best in a year. Meanwhile time in game advances a lot.

Sooo, a bystander with a force field and energy blast is somehow a soldier all of a sudden? You are thinking in a box, think outside of the box.

I'm using examples, man. I'd like to see a character that feels "super" at PL 6, that's why I am somewhat intrigued.

Okay here is an example of what you can do with a Pl 6, 90 point character...

Ice Dude - PL 6

Strength 4, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Advantages
Beginner's Luck, Close Attack 2, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 4

Skills
Athletics 2 (+6), Expertise: Architecture 4 (+4), Perception 2 (+3), Persuasion 2 (+4), Technology 4 (+4)

Powers
Command of Ice and Cold
Affliction: Affliction 6 (1st degree: Vulnerable, Hindered, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Immobile, DC 16; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged; Limited Degree)

Ground Skating: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)

Ice-Chill Blade (Easily Removable)
Damage: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 21; Penetrating 6)

Icy Armor: Force Field 4 (+4 Toughness)

Offense
Initiative +6
Affliction: Affliction 6, +6 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 16)
Damage: Strength-based Damage 2, +6 (DC 21)
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 14)
Throw, +6 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 19)

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 6, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 25 + Advantages 8 + Skills 7 (14 ranks) + Defenses 15 = 89

Validation: Complications: At least 2 Complications are required

As you can see he's not super awesome, but he is clearly hitting his caps through powers. lots of room for growth. As a note, while I don't think it is required for this game, I kept to the game's them of Defining power/weapon/movement power.

Right now I'm thinking 25pp a level and giving 5 or 10 pp for every thread we finish. The more involved and/or important threads will be 10pp. Regular 'everyday' threads will be 5pp. Seeing as I plan for the pointage to stop at 100pp, that should be long in the grand scheme of things. As for it being slow, I know it will be at some times, but I plan to have the game for a long while. I mean there WILL be moments of instant gratification, but I like more substantial stories and character development. Don't take that as me imposing my will on the game type. Players majority can have say so. If players clamor for MORENOWGOGOGO, I guess I'll go with that :P

So for those of us who are interested, what concepts are people thinking about running with? I'm going with a young man. Somewhere between 16 to 21 (not sure yet) who has been living on the streets of the Suicide Slums in Metropolis. the Hero whose powers he got from the Exobyte lottery was called The Screaming Angel.

Power wise, My guy (who calls himself Captain Awesome!) has a set of wings that allow him to fly 60 mph. they are also retractable. He's got some enhanced eyes that let him see clearly in low light and extend his vision. He can also control Sound/Vibration. Right how he can project damaging sound waves and set up destructive harmonics in objects, weakening them and making them easier to break.

Going with speedster.

Powers: Speed, speed and more speed. Also improved initiative, and quickness, to get tasks done quicker. :)

Background: Middle manager at Goldman Sachs. Married his college sweetheart. Moved to the Metropolis branch office, where he met his least favorite person in the whole world, Josh Dunber. Walt became fixated on Josh, blaming everything that went wrong on him in some outlandish fashion in his head. He has a 10 yr old son who he rarely has time for. Even with the exobytes coursing through him, and the speed that he now has, he seems to always be running late.

Hmm... maybe an intergalactic homeless guy who's the last of his kind. "Hobo".

Maybe a speedster who's limited to short bursts. "The Dash.

Or a sidekick whose face is a magnet for crowbars and explosives. "Robin"

An archer who dresses in blue whose arrows mimic other's power. "Mega Arrow"

The possibilities are endless.

yeah, okay. it's not bad per say but with 90 PP why are you spending 2 pp on regular gear? I can see the first aid kit, multi-tool and flashlight because they are actually useful/needed for your skills. The rest of it though? it's kinda fluff that isn't worth spending points on. Rations, really? So was this stuff created by the Exobyte or is it stuff she had in her own possession? Why not go for a utility belt instead?

Even though there is no background I am assuming the character is a pilot. And I see you have your biohazzard suit again :) If I may make a suggestion? Lower your force field by 4 and add 4 protection to the suit. It balances your defenses so if you loose one or the other you still have some Toughness and also makes it believable that the suit could withstand a super fight.

You know Tommy, this is sad. And frustrating. I didn't berate you, I wasn't disrespectful to you, I simply questioned a couple of things. I get that you have triggers and are sensitive to criticism but how the hell are we supposed to interact with you when you always have these knee-jerk reactions to the slightest little thing?

The character as it stood wasn't bad for a first draft. Could it use tweaking? Sure, but most character can use a little tweaking to get them to a good place. But fine, if you want to make another character that is your right. I suggest in the future if you aren't prepared to hear what anyone else thinks of your character, then don't publicly post it.

Archived